Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lilly29
Anyone interested in a 30 day Paleo challenge?

Hey LFCers!

I am hoping there are some others who would be interested in joining me in a 30 day Paleo challenge! I am starting today, but you can join in at any point. I've been researching the Paleo way of eating for a while, and tho it's pretty strict, I think strict is exactly what I need. I got down to a place where I fluctuated between about 128 and 131 a couple of years ago and maintained there until I started school in the fall, and boy has it been an uphill battle since then. School, new relationship (happiness made those VERY occasional treats become less and less occasional :blush: ), and a major shake up in my daily schedule made it all to easy for me to basically fall right off the wagon. I've been struggling to get back on that wagon for months - three days on, four days off, two days on, one week off, etc. Ugh. I've gained back some weight, thank god not all my weight, but enough that I don't like the way I look or feel.

But I have finally gotten to a place where I'm ready to hop back on board full force! And the more I read about Paleo (I'm not gonna lie, many nights while eating a bowl of corn chips), the more I want to give it a good, SOLID, CHEAT-FREE try.

There are some versions of Paleo out there that involve an 80%/20% plan, or involve some tweaks. Myself, this is what I am trying for 30 days before I even attempt to do any tweaking or consider any off-plan treats "The Whole30".

In a nutshell, it's this: no grains, no dairy, no legumes, no sugar or artificial sugars, and few, if any, fruits if you're trying to lose weight. They also recommend no weighing yourself or taking measurements until after the 30 days. I weighed myself this morning, wanted to cry, took my measurements, wanted to cry, and put the tape measurement and the scale in the cupboard until May 8, 2011.

Would anyone like to join me? You don't have to follow a plan as strict as I am doing, but perhaps you'd consider trying it? Whatever your level of Paleo is, let's outline it here and support each other for 30 days!
lilly29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

P.S. I'm going to be away from the computer until Monday late afternoon, so if you respond and I don't, I'm not ignoring you.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 6/30/14...164.4/161.9/125
WOE: LC paleo/primal
I will do this with you. I'm just beginning to leard about Paleo, as some others suggested it to me, since I am doing gluten free, wheat free, soy free and dairy free with my 6 year old son who found out 2 days ago that he HAS to eat this way.
I started eating this way yesterday and I think I've already lost some pounds..lol I am eating some fruit, as I've been making my son smoothies for breakfast with mango, blueberries and coconut milk. But I guess I can cut down on the fruit.
Anyway, as of this morning 4/9 I'm at 161 pounds and have not taken measurements, but I'll know if it's working by the way my clothes fit me.
Thanks for starting this, I'm looking forward to doing this! And I'm going to try to educate myself more on this too...lol this is all new as of 2 days ago.
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Great, Vicki! I'm so excited you're on board!! I've found SO MANY amazing resources on the internet about Paleo, and though I don't have children myself, have found so many about raising kids Paleo too!
Was your son diagnosed with food allergies? How is he adjusting to the change in diet?

This morning I made a smoothie with 2/3 cup coconut milk, 1/2 avocado and some water to thin it down. Honestly, it wasn't bad and I'm enjoying how incredibly full it kept me, but I think tomorrow it might be more enjoyable to just eat the 1/2 avocado and drink the coconut milk in some iced rooibos tea, kinda like a Thai iced tea.

Congrats on your losses so far - what plan have you been following up to this point? And for how long?

If you're interested, I'd love to check in in the evenings with what we ate for the day, how we're feeling, etc?

I'm so happy to have you on board! It's gonna be a great 30 days!!
Old 04-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

It's a blog called "Growing up Paleo."
Old 04-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Anyone who is not familiar w Whole 30 should check it out!!
It is a great way to attack a stall, regulate BG, etc.

Tina completed it in March and her results are awesome.

The rules are pretty strict so it pays to go to the Whole9 site.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
I'm going to keep an eye on your progress! I don't think I'm ready to go "no dairy" yet (I love my butter!), but I do want to see how this works! Good luck!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Hi everyone!! Great timing!

I'm having problems with dairy...major allergic cough, addicted eating of dairy and a real congested, tired feeling.

Today, I had black coffee with stevia and coconut oil, stewed chicken, and a big plain burger wrapped in lettuce with mustard and mayo for dinner.

My cough is almost gone, just from one day without dairy.

I'm not sure about fruit. I am skiing tomorrow and its a VERY active day, I might enjoy bringing some fruit to eat.

I'm in! Today was my first day!
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Just looked at the link: it said no stevia, but I'm going to include it. I see it as a natural, less-sweet flavor enhancer. Just two drops in coffee twice a day.

Everything else I am totally on board with!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome, jem, Christine, and moonmirror! I'm taking off, so I just have a moment to post, and won't be back and having computer access until later in the afternoon on Monday. I look forward to touching base with everyone then. Have a great weekend!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyone
Stats: 166.6/151.8/135 -5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 11/31/13
I'm interested! I started induction unsuccessfully yesterday. I'm keeping my hot dogs (which I rarely eat anyway) and cokezero, but otherwise I'm onboard.

I'm Doing this to kill cravings, get ready for a friends wedding at the end of May, and create better eating habits.

My start weight on 4/8/11 was 130.

Last edited by happyone; 04-09-2011 at 08:52 PM..
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:07 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessreadytolose
Stats: 168/162/135
WOE: Gluten Free/Clean eating
Start Date: JUDDD 1/2/13
I am very interested in joining this challenge, it's funny, I spent the whole day yesterday reading the Whole 30 website, I am in, beginning after my grocery trip today, and as I finish my last DD iced coffee with cream and splenda for this challenge...lol. I have not purchased the 3.0 version PDF, do you think it's necessary? I have already been low carbing for quite a while, my biggest things are dairy and artificial sweetners to give up now I am assuming, so just replace butter/Pam spray, etc. with EVOO and coconut oil? Correct?
Thanks, looking forward to this!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessreadytolose View Post
I am very interested in joining this challenge, it's funny, I spent the whole day yesterday reading the Whole 30 website, I am in, beginning after my grocery trip today, and as I finish my last DD iced coffee with cream and splenda for this challenge...lol. I have not purchased the 3.0 version PDF, do you think it's necessary? I have already been low carbing for quite a while, my biggest things are dairy and artificial sweetners to give up now I am assuming, so just replace butter/Pam spray, etc. with EVOO and coconut oil? Correct?
Thanks, looking forward to this!
I think the butter replacement is correct!

My problems would definitely be cheese and butter, which is why I'm going to watch how this unfolds for y'all before I give up my precious vices.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Brandieelynne
Stats: 5'6", 155
I've been doing Paleo since I started CrossFit in January, but I still follow the rules of Atkins and remain low carb, still in ketosis. But...I still have HWC in my coffee (I can't seem to give that up!)
I love eating like this! Personally it hasn't helped me lose weight (I'm pretty close to my goal). Actually I've put on 6lbs (muscle) since starting CrossFit/Paleo, lol! I believe I've made a good decision for my health. Plus I've decided to try and eat organic wherever I can.

I really enjoyed Robb Wolf's book, The Paleo Solution. Also his podcasts are wonderful! You can find them on Robb Wolf's website!!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jess, all the info you need is on the website. Review it a few times and go to during the challenge and you'll be in good shape.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyone
Stats: 166.6/151.8/135 -5'4"
Start Date: restart 11/31/13
It was so difficult not to step on the scale this morning!! Happyone 1 - scale 0
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugardemon
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: Restart: April 2011
Day 1

I'd like to join this 30 day challenge. I've been flirting with giving up dairy for a while... but I hadn't really committed to it. I started reading the Rob Paleo blog and it makes total sense to me! I already workout a lot so I like his focus on strength and vitality. Giving up dairy and artificial sweeteners will be the hardest part for me, but this eating style is so clean... that's why people are so successful!

My starting weight is 186. And I'm not weighing myself after today.
Sugardemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
Start Date: July 12
Im in!

I want to do this 30day challange also! Ive been unsuccessful with stick with VLC. Ive been on and off plan for months now and have found I have gained prob 5-8lbs! I have not weighed myself but I can just see it and I AM NOT HAPPY! I feel aweful! So, I am def on board here! The hardest part for me will be my HWC and splenda drops....Love love love my coffee! But I will give it a whole heartedly try! I need to be bikini ready by May 23! Lets do this!! Day one for me will be tomorrow because I did have my normal coffee with HWC and splenda this morning. I also had 4 eggs with butter and some ground beef with sour cream so I will be starting Monday!!
laceymichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlhinbrisvegas
Stats: 210/178.8/135
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: re-started March 2011
I would love to join as well. I have been toying with the idea of trying out paleo. Just finished Robb Wolf's book and been checking out various websites. I'll start Monday morning, as I have already had some dairy today. It will be great to have support in doing this!
jlhinbrisvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I am in too, starting Monday!

Starting tomorrow, I have to finish up some dairy this evening, bad girl I know!
jessreadytolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

lol Jess, I did the same thing today! Got in my cheese and had an extra coffee with HWC and splenda. Than thru it out! Starting tomorrow and am VERY excited
Old 04-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

I'm on day two and I have to say, I am blown away by how much I miss butter and cream.

My food is just...food. There's nothing interesting about it. Its bothering me, but I've noticed my cough/wheeze is so much better since I stopped the dairy, I feel I have no other choice.

Today for lunch it was plain chicken tenders fried in olive oil and an orange.

Then I figured I'd had enough fruit, so I snacked on more plain chicken tenders.

Breakfast was a hard boiled egg.

Ugh. Its like eating single ingredients. I know this is a key part of it.

I think it would be waaay easier in the summertime with nicer fruits and vegetables.

For dinner I'll repeat last nights dinner: a plain hamburger with lettuce, mayo and mustard. I missed the usual cheddar and bacon I normally put on it. I'm probably not even supposed to have mayo...I don't think its made with a paleo-friendly oil.

I kind of feel depressed about it. No diet coke, no cream, no splenda, nothing to make things interesting.

Last edited by moonmirror; 04-10-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Old 04-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

moonmirror, you need to get into some herbs and such. There are so many interesting ways to prepare food that fit right in.

I made a curry w coconut milk, butternut squash and chicken. It's a spin on Nightlife farms hamburger/sweet potato curry which is also legal.

There is no reason at all to have boring food. There are a boat load of paleo recipe sites just follow the links from any of the primal/paleo sites and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Even the Whole9 site has recipes. AND if you read the Whole30 rules, you will see that it includes LOTS of vegetables....no reason you can't add them for variety.

It may be a good idea for us to share some of our meals/recipes. I hate to see peop quit because they're bored w the food when, actually the variety is endless.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Day 1! Weigh-in 158

I'll post my menu in a bit, off to volunteer in DD's first grade class.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

day 1
I love the idea of posting what we eat and our menus for ideas!
Im going to be pretty boring today. Black coffee. Sucks but I will get used to it. Afterall, back when I was skinny this is how I drank my coffee everydaylol
B; eggs 1 HB and 3 poached (im hungry this morning and going to workout after)
L: pork and spinach with olive oil
D; beef with some cabbage boiled in broth (I need to see if I can have broth first)

Happy Monday!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Curry sounds good. I'll get some coconut milk today. I can have it over riced cauliflower.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

B- 2 eggs, 1 cup spinach cooked in bacon grease

L- Homemade buffalo wings (probably not ideal paleo meal, but have lots in freezer, baked in convection at 400' and brushed with Frank's hot sauce)

D- Shrimp cobb salad (hold the blue cheese, and with olive oil/lemon juice dressing)
Old 04-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

How do you guys feel about bacon (nitrate free), ghee, coconut bark (without sweetner, just coconut oil, cocoa, and sunbutter), and the occasional alcoholic drink?

Last edited by jessreadytolose; 04-11-2011 at 07:51 AM..
Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I'm trying to avoid nitrates, and I don't buy special meats because I am feeding a family of five - too expensive. So no bacon or cured sausage for me.

As for alcohol, if you're doing the 30 day challenge the idea is to avoid it. Otherwise, I think wine and spirits are allowed.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 6/30/14...164.4/161.9/125
WOE: LC paleo/primal
Good morning everyone! Thanks for posting the info on the Whole30! My husband and I are starting it today. Like I posted before, I have been eating very clean because I am avoiding all the things that my son has to avoid. So happy because I am already down a few just from starting to eat clean last Fri.

Starting Whole30 today. Day 1 starting weight: 159.9
Breakfast: Smoothie made of coconut milk, a few blueberries, and a couple chunks of mango. Couple slices of nitrate free uncured bacon. (wishing I could eat eggs!) Black coffee
Lunch: Either steak, or some salad, or 1/2 avocado with organic salsa
Dinner: Beef roast, broccoli
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote