Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I decided to throw in the towel.

I appreciate all that I've learned and will have days of pure paleo in my future but the loss of coconut milk left me w/o a solid breakfast....I am not much of an egg eater or any heavy breakfast for that matter.
i actually won't be eating that much differently but will add back my morning latte and probably the occasional cheese and some yogurt.

I'll be checking in to see how everyone is doing....

I stand by my original opinion that it is a great plan and is perfect for breaking stalls and healing.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlhinbrisvegas
Stats: 210/178.8/135
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: re-started March 2011
DG ~ You are doing really well

Jem ~ I understand. I am glad to hear you will still be checking in. You have been a great source of info and tips.

Feeling good and still can't get over how easily I get full eating this way.

Menu today:

B: Chicken legs and sauteed spinach (my husband was looking at me wierd for not eating breakfast food)

S: Coffee w/ coconut milk and coconut oil

D: Thai Green Curry
jlhinbrisvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #213
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
ok so im on day 3 and im doing great! no cheats so far..
I so wish I could weigh myself, I'd love to see how im doing lololol.. I'm a scale junkie!
The headaches from the caffene and sweetner withdrawls are still lingering... I tried drinking black coffee no sweetner no cream and it was disguesting.. I just could not drink it..
anyone else having pooping issues?
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Kerry ~ Good job! I am a scale junkie too...so, I can relate. And yes, I have had some issues in the bathroom dept from time to time.:blush: I found adding a magnesium supplement to help out in that area. (That is if you are not going. If you are having the opposite effect - don't take the magnesium.)

Hope everyone else is doing well.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gwynhyvar
Stats: 243.8/222.4/130
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
I second the magnesium for the not-going issues. Try "Natural Calm" in the evening before bed, lots of folks I know swear by it. Or throw some epsom salts in your bathwater, they're basically a magnesium salt.
gwynhyvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 6/30/14...164.4/161.9/125
WOE: LC paleo/primal
Hi all, I'm still here. Just checking in. I think today is day 17 for me, even though I messed up twice last week. Just checking in to say hi!
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So where is everybody?

I think I made it just over 3 wks before giving up....and that must be just over a week ago.

I made a batch of yogurt, had some cheese, drank my lattes AND pretty much lost that great feeling I had achieved in spite of the cold sores.

I have decided on a modified version...not a challenge per se but certainly a change in my way of eating.

I toyed w giving up coffee again but decided to try it w cream (which I have not been crazy about). I ended up diluting it w water about 1:1 then steaming it and had my latte.

Cheese is pretty much out. It was not as important as I thought. Same w other dairy.

I made ghee which is awesome.

Nuts will stay but measured amts same as before.

Fruit will be a piece or two daily and I'm looking forward to summer fruit. I grow quite a bit including berries, plums, figs, apples and pears. I also harvest blackberries for the freezer.

For me vegies are a given. I grow them, as well. They are so good fresh.

I've been thinking of trying one of the organic, refined CO's to see if it's the residue in EVCO giving me problems. This makes sense because coconut milk was a big factor.

So there it is.

Anyone else still on board.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Jem ~

Finished up my 30 day challenge yesterday. 5.7 pounds down - so, I was happy. It broke my addiction to the artificial sweetners and I have a feeling a lot of dairy products do not agree with me.

I am continuing on eating paleo/primal, but not as a challenge. I am sticking to whole, healthy food - but, maybe playing with percentages (higher fat, less protein like Barry Groves suggests). Still a work in progress, but my working to figure out what works for my body.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 AM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

June, congrats!

Aside from the coconut problem, it is the easiest challenge I've ever done. Probably because the food variety is so wide if one wants/needs, it's there.

Even in the 3 wks I finished, the changes in my food choices and the way I felt were so obvious.
Without dairy, my stevia consumption is greatly reduced. But I will not stress about using some.
I am also consuming some fruit so the need for sweetener is diminished.

After all these years of LC'ing, it is amazing what I learned in a few weeks.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 6/30/14...164.4/161.9/125
WOE: LC paleo/primal

Hi I'm still here too. I have not been perfect, but I am feeling much better over-all. And eating much better than I ever have. I think my 30 days is over on the 17th. I'm down about 9.3 so far (had birthday cake on the weekend, so still not back down to stat weight). I really like this WOE and stick to it about 80% of the time.
Love the variety, and freedom of it!
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow!! That's great.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Vicki ~ That is a great loss!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Hi all, just got back from a trip. Stayed paleo-ish while gone, as close as I could manage without being uber-retentive and obnoxious. LOL Lots of seafood and sauteed/grilled veggies, so it was nice.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #224
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paleolady
Hi Everyone, I'm on Day 10 eating Paleo, so far so good. I will read the posts on this thread. I will post more. Any support is great!

Cheers!
paleolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #225
Junior LCF Member

Anyone out there? lol!

It's Day 11 for me. Great day! I fasted today, felt awesome. So yes, I am also doing intermittent fasting twice a week along with going paleo for at least 30 days. My husband and I have been making sure we are on it with the cooking as well as portioning. As soon as a meal is cooked it is portioned right away and ready to be taken out when it's meal time. This has helped so much.

I'm doing paleo because I got some health issues that I was to deal with. I'm also doing this to get a little leaner.

Ever since being on this plan, the bloating is mostly gone.

I'm weight training for strength and doing kettle bell swings for cardio.

How's everyone else doing?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nice to have a partner....Sounds like you're doing great.

As summer approaches, I'm planting and looking forward to meals directly from the garden.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #227
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
Nice to have a partner....Sounds like you're doing great.

As summer approaches, I'm planting and looking forward to meals directly from the garden.
Thanks Jem. I bought the cookbook "Everyday Paleo", I'm looking forward to trying some recipes from there. So awesome about the garden.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #228
Senior LCF Member

I love Everyday Paleo! We get our first CSA box on June 21st. Can't wait! My challenge is to use everything in the box each week!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Can I join?

I returned to low carb in April. Did a clean Atkins induction and lost 10 pounds. I've been on plan, but stalled, since.

I was once very successful on low carb. I was also in my early 30's, and had not yo-yo dieted. Since that time, life tanked (divorce, custody battle, bankruptcy, foreclosure......) and I couldn't focus on health or weight issues.

I tried WW once, and ate very "healthy" according to mainstream standards, but was a screaming, irritable, shaking mess and I didn't lose weight. In my ventures back to low carb, I was unable to sustain momentum. I think it was, in part, dairy issues. Either dairy itself makes me stall or dairy leads to portion/calorie issues.

I'm going to try a 30 day paleo challenge, but I can't officially start until Wednesday or Thursday. Part of my very limited food budget is already invested in low carb dairy - greek yogurt, a veggie/cheese tray portioned out at one of my jobs. My budget is so tight that I can't afford to not eat already purched food (and the kids are at their Dads for extended summer, or they'd eat it).

I should be finished with these foods by Wednesday or Thursday. In the meantime, I can eat fried eggs instead of an omlette with cheese, fry eggs in CO instead of butter, eliminate my "treat" cup of coffee with AS and hwc (*cry*), and work towards paleo.

I'm a huge veggie advocate, so that's not a problem. This morning for breakfast, I had nitrate free bacon, 2 fried eggs and spinach cooked in the bacon fat.

I work 8:00 am to 10:00 pm today, and I brought an already cooked steak, a spinach salad with a few blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries (and yellow, orange and red pepper strips). I have on site brocolli, celery, turkey sausage bites, marinated broiled veggies, (contraband cheese cubes) and (contraband greek yogurt which I will sweeten with mashed frozen berries instead of Torani).

I figure the transition will be minimal since I've already inducted and stayed on plan and most of my carbs already came from veggies. I know that with my schedule, planning is essential.

I printed a copy of the Whole 90 rules. Eventually, I'd love books/ebooks as I am a reader and researcher by nature. Feedback and advice welcome!

No Fat Summer Challenge - Goal: 175 by Summer

March 1 - 205 (going on a vacation in February)
April 1 - 195
May 1 - 187
June 1 - 180
June 21 - 175

Last edited by Midlyfechrysalis; 06-06-2011 at 07:17 AM..
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Hi Joanne!

Try coconut milk as an hwc replacement for your coffee. Tropical Traditions has a "how to make your own" on their website (google their website -- can't post link here). It's much cheaper than buying the canned stuff, and it's very paleo/lc-friendly, plus good for you.

Welcome, and we're here for encouragement and support!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #231
Junior LCF Member

Welcome Midlyfechrysalis,

Looking forward to reading your posts.

I'm doing really well. Been doing this for just over 3 weeks now. Yay! I've got lots of energy, I'm stronger, I'm leaner. I am really enjoying this. I don't even miss alcohol. Social situations have been great too without the alcohol. Eating out has been awesome. I REALLY enjoy the food. Sometimes I do miss some non-paleo foods and sometimes I overeat paleo foods but that's ok! It's a lifestyle and I can learn and improve every time.

I really LOVE paleo.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Checking in.

I should be done with the pre-purchased dairy for low carb tomorrow, maybe Thursday.

In the meantime, I'm paleo-fying what I can.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Hey everyone, thought I'd check in. Went to the zoo with my daughter's class yesterday. It was wicked hot (101 and humid) and I have to say, I did WAY better in that heat than I used to (pre-Paleo). I had more energy, didn't have the short temper I (used) to get in the heat, and I think we all had a pretty good day!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynhyvar View Post
Hey everyone, thought I'd check in. Went to the zoo with my daughter's class yesterday. It was wicked hot (101 and humid) and I have to say, I did WAY better in that heat than I used to (pre-Paleo). I had more energy, didn't have the short temper I (used) to get in the heat, and I think we all had a pretty good day!
Yay!

I have cut back substantially on my dairy with the intention of dropping it altogether by the end of the week.

I'm eating more liberally of veggies and even some fruit (berries).
Old 06-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: atcgirl42
Howdy everyone! I've been meaning to join in here, but have been really busy. I was away on vacation last week and ate a bunch of junk. I started reading this thread before I left for vacation and had decided then that I was going to try this when I got back. Today is Day 4 for me.

In 4 days I've lost 6 pounds! Probably 4 of that was bloat from eating carbs on vacation. I developed a mild headache yesterday and still have it today. I'm not sure if it's from withdrawal from dairy or if it's just a headache. So far I'm finding this pretty easy. It's not too different from how I normally eat anyway, with the exception of no dairy and no stevia. But putting some coconut milk in my coffee makes it palatable.

I really appreciate all of the website that ya'll have mentioned. I've copied some great recipes and can't wait to try them. I really like theclothesmakethegirl.com, so kudos to whomever mentioned that! Have a great day everyone.
atcgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

I posted on the main board, but today is morning 3 of my Whole 30. After 6 weeks of no change in weight, I am down 2 pounds!

Being already low carb, all I did was drop dairy and artificial sweetners. I added berries in.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm tellin' ya, the results of Whole 30 are amazing.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: atcgirl42
Good morning! Last night was a test of my resolve with this diet. We attended a going away party for a beloved coworker who's moving away. Lots of food and booze around. I made a tomato/feta salad and brownies to take to the party, neither of which I could eat. When I was making the brownies, some batter got on my hand and I immediately licked it off. Oops! I had to really make an effort after that to be aware of what I was doing. At the party, someone brought a tray of cheese wrapped in prosciutto and I found myself reaching for some, but realized I couldn't eat it. But I stayed on plan and had some shrimp with no cocktail sauce, some chicken wings with no sauce or bleu cheese, and crudites with no dip. And I drank water only.

Joanne--Congrats on the 2 pound loss! You sound like me. I only dropped dairy and sweetener too. Sounds like you've broken your stall!

Jem--Have you done the whole 30 days? What were your results? I'm still working my way through the paleo info.
atcgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Feelin'Great!
Subscribing here so I can follow y'all's progress. Going to go back and read the WHOLE thread now and search other threads on Paleo.

It sounds like, from what I've read so far, the only things left for me to give up are dairy and AS. My two VICES!!! Ugh! But if it will speed up my losses just a little, I'm willing to try it for a month (maybe I'd better start with committing to a week and push through!). I think this is the point when it will become hard for me. As addicted as I was (am) to sugar, I was able to kick it rather quickly. No cravings. I don't know if I'll be as successful kicking HWC, butter, and stevia.

Thanks so much for all the information here and sharing your experiences. You're doing so well!!!
Feelin'Great! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

atc, I did 22 days and quit due to the cold sores I was getting from the coconut milk. I used it daily and paid the price.
I can use coconut products but not daily so can't replace milk in coffee and use in smoothies, etc.

After I decided to stop the challenge, I found that I really didn't enjoy cheese and other dairy as much so am just using it in coffee.
Funny thing is that I gave up coffee during the challenge and didn't really miss it. I'm not sure I'll keep it......

I didn't weigh at all and just noted the pants getting looser as they generally do in summer. But I felt better in general.

I did eat fruit and now am eating it during the morning with good results. Of course, the selection increases everyday so not just winter fruits and berries.

When I decided to do Whole 30, I figured that eating variety (incl fruit) would make it less painful giving up sweeteners and dairy. I ate a sweet potato once and didn't really want it again...really too sweet.
But fruit is so refreshing and I enjoyed a couple servings daily.

It was so worth it even in a shortened version.