Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/191.8/152
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: This time: 12/17/14
Hi everyone. I was very glad to find this thread. I've had success low carbing in the past, and have crashed and burned off the wagon. Over the last year I have given WW a go thinking maybe I was just burned out on low carb. Did OK on that too for a short time, but am struggling once again in the deep abyss of sugar carby land.

I've been reading lately about paleo (I have no strong opinon about the variations - don't know enough about it!). Something has got to make sense in terms of eliminating these crazy cravings! I stumbled across this thread and am feeling a sense of relief - and maybe some hope. It is so hard to go day after day with the horrible cravings that carb land perpetuates. (the weight in my profile is NOT up to date, sadly!)

Anyway...this Whole 30 challenge seems like a great place to start with some very clean eating. I plan to join you all starting tomorrow! Tomorrows menu might be simple and rather strange, but I have eggs and EVCO on hand so I won't go hungry. And the carb land foods will be headed for the trash.

Thanks for sharing your journies here. You all inspire.

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gwynhyvar
Stats: 243.8/222.4/130
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
Hi DG, welcome! I've found that ditching the sugar and starches to be the only way I don't have those horrible cravings. I had a few jelly beans on Easter, and BLAM! I'm fighting the sugar blues again. *sigh*

Had a lovely breakfast of egg, spinach and onion. That's my standard from the work grill when I don't have time at home in the morning. The guy sees me coming and starts reaching for the ingredients, LOL.

Lunch will be leftover ham with a nice green salad and tasty toppings (hope the salad bar has red onion today, oh and asparagus would be nice...). I have some chicken too, if I'm still hungry.

Dinner will be a bit of a mix, leftovers for the family, probably some salmon or sardines with an artichoke for me.
gwynhyvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlhinbrisvegas
Stats: 210/178.8/135
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: re-started March 2011
Welcome DG! I too found losing the sugars and grains to kill my cravings. I still struggle with the occasional mental craving for something sweet or starchy, but the cravings are nothing like they were before.
jlhinbrisvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the welcome June and gwynhyvar! I hope I always remember EXACTLY how horrible and mind consumingly intense these cravings are. I need to just stay on the wagon.

Today was day 1. I still have bacon from a local farm butchered pig. Probably not 100% Whole 30 but that is the only food indiscretion I am planning for 30 days. I'm even going to take a stab at home made mayo tomororw.

B: Eggs in EVCO and bacon
S: Banana, HB Egg, 1t EVCO
L: Salad - mix greens, salad veggies, turkey and avacado. EVOO and vinegar dressing.
D: Salmon, Sweet potato, broccoli, strawberries

Snack was after a run. (well, barely a run. I'm in Week 2 of Couch to 5K. Not exactly marathons or anything! Actual running time = 9 minutes ) I hadn't got to the part in the Whole30 e-book where it advises no fruit in post workout meal. Oh well!

I'm also not sure about staying off the scale for 30 days. Philisophically (sp) I understand I should do it, but...but....but.... We shall see in the morning.

We can do ANYTHING for 30 days, right?

Here's to dumping the sugar / carby cravings once and for all!

I look forward to getting to know you all better.

DG
Old 04-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Hey everyone. I made it through another crazy weekend!! Only problem is my employer talked me into some extra so as of now, I'm free for the next 10 day.

The chicken legs turned out to be the perfect carry along food since they are not greasy (like thighs), so I can eat one while I drive. Also there is only one bone (unlike wings).
It's like picnic food. Love it.

Tonight it's curry again. I can't seem to get enough.

Welcome to all the new starts.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lilly29
Hello, my paleo friends! I'm so sorry to be MIA on the very thread I started. Life has been so hectic, but I'm paleo and feeling great! I hope to be participating again very soon!
lilly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Day 2 Whole 30 Wrap

Hi all! I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone, which will happen in time. Right now all the screen names are sort of a blur! Lily, good to see you and thank you for starting this thread. It's what sparked my interest to "just do it" and also the Whole 30 approach is so good for me. I can do anything for 30 days, right?? (well, I'm going to give it my best!!)

jem, can I ask how you made your chicken legs? I am also figuring that curry will become a staple due to the coconut milk, oil, etc. being prominent features of Whole 30. Do you have some good curry recipes you can share or direct me to? I'm a curry novice!

Just to come face to face with how much weight I've really gained, I tried on some summer clothes today. I just bought them a couple months ago at the early sales. And I'm a sausage in them today. I nearly cried, but it's important to face the truth. No hiding behind elastic waist bands and pretending. What I was doing was NOT working. (weight watchers / binge on sugarcarbies / weight watchers / binge on sugarcarbies)

Today:

S: HB Egg, 1t EVCO right off the spoon. (fat fest )
B: 1 Egg + 1/2 cup egg whites scrambled in EVCO with mushrooms, peppers, and 1 serving of Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage (just using up some leftovers - will not be buying any more of that going forward) + blueberries
L: Home made vegetable soup, turkey breast, small serving of sweet potato
S: Some EVCO - I was craving sugarcarbies and that sure did kill the craving.
D: Hamburger, tomatos, onions, home made pickles, oven roasted cauliflower

I am truly trying to take this one day at a time and just follow the plan. I didn't get on the scale today. That is scaring me. Not sure I will go a while month of that. But for today, no scale.

I'm glad this thread is here for accountability! Hope everyone had a good day.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

DG sounds like you're doing well.

The chicken legs were just easy, no fuss. Salt, pepper then in the oven at 350 for 35-45 min. I put them on a rack so they'd roast more evenly but ended up turning them over for the last 10 min.
You can add any seasoning just for a change,,,,greek, italian, chili powder.
I plan to keep these on hand.

Nightlife farm (inthenightlife I think, or google) got me started w her burger/sweet potato curry. I switched to winter squash and have also make it w chicken.
A more simple one is the shrimp/spinach curry from paleodietlifestyle. I've also make it w chicken.....and of course, you should always consider some hot pepper flakes as needed.
I usually just use mild curry powder then heat it to my liking.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Jem ~ You have me craving chicken legs now. Those would be a great thing to have in the fridge for snacks when I am not really hungry.

DG ~ I am a scale addict and can't manage to stay away from it for 30 days.:blush: I was on WW earlier this year too. Would do well and then the sugar cravings would take control and I would go off the deep end.

lilly ~ Hope things settle down for you soon.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:51 AM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Day 3 - AM

Hi girls!

June - I did NOT manage to stay off the scale today. But it was good news - I whooshed something from my sugarcarby extravaganza. I guess I needed that little verification that things are going in the right direction. Not going to stress over weighing and trying not to. If I feel like it I will. The more important thing is to just follow the food plan, I think.

That was exactly my experience with WW. I would do well for a time, get to goal weight, and then something (cravings) would sort of EXPLODE for me. I was like a heroin addict with single minded focus on getting a fix. CRAZY behavior. I am so wanting to just find a way to eat where that insanity is gone. I hope this is it.

Jem, thank you so much for the leg recipe (love it - so simple!!) and also for the guidance on curry. I will be searching around those sites today!

Hello to everyone else participating in this challenge. I hope you all have a great day on plan, and otherwise!

DG
Old 04-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Day 3 PM Report

Hi again. Meals for today:

B: Egg Salad (home made mayo was FAB) in romaine leaves, banana
L: Hamburger and roasted cauliflower, extra EVCO
S: EVCO
D: Turkey breast, broccoli, small portion sweet potato, EVCO

I am amazed at how I am NOT craving stuff between meals. Normally afternoons are just crazy. Not today. I am also taking L-Glutamine, just for the record. However I was also taking it before and it didn't seem like it was helping. So I think the dietary changes are big in the mix.

Hope all of you here had a good day.

DG
Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gwynhyvar
Stats: 243.8/222.4/130
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
DG, I'm also taking L-Glutamine, and like you I noticed it seems to work more efficiently now.

Egg salad, that's a great idea. We have lots of leftover hard boiled eggs from Easter. LOL
gwynhyvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A little tired today, up too early.
Got my garden plants ready for planting, just need to get a truckload of soil.

20 days......

I'm thinking that my next challenge is to spend less time on line. Winter rain really has given me cabin fever...am ready to move outdoors.

Got a steak ready for dinner.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

DG - Which recipe did you use to make mayo? I have not tried to make my own yet.

I took a peek at the scale and it's moving in the right direction.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:17 AM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Day 4 reoirt on Day 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhinbrisvegas View Post
DG - Which recipe did you use to make mayo? I have not tried to make my own yet.
Congrats on the successful scale peek! I found the mayo recipe from a site recommended by the Whole 30 people. I think it's the clothes make the girl. It's her paleo blog. Anyway, here is what I did:

With all ingredients at room temperature (she said that was very important)

In blender, mix together for 20 seconds:

1 Egg
2 T lemon juice
1/2 t salt
1/2 t dry mustard (I only used 1/4 t as I don't like that too strong)
1/4 cup light olive oil (EVOO would give a much stronger olive taste)

Then with the blender or food processor running, VERY slowly drizzle in 1 cup of light olive oil. (I have a Cuisinart processor with that cup in the lid with the tiny hole - very nice for drizzling slowly!)

It came out really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
Got my garden plants ready for planting, just need to get a truckload of soil.

20 days......
Congrats on 20 days!!! That gives me hope I can do it too! We have had so much rain here (IL) I haven't been able to get outside and do anything yet!! It will be a while before the garden is dry enough to til! So I'm trying to enjoy this lazy time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynhyvar View Post
Egg salad, that's a great idea. We have lots of leftover hard boiled eggs from Easter. LOL
That's a great use for all those eggs!!!

Day 4 (yesterday) was difficult. It was the first day I've had cravings. They weren't INSANE cravings though, or I would have been at the grocery store in the donut section. I read somewhere that Day 4 when getting off of sugar is the hardest. So I'm not sure if I had that in my head and it was a self fulfilling prophecy, or if it really was that hard. In any case, I ate about 4857395759375 calories worth of nuts. Nuts are allowed on the Whole 30 plan but of course with the usual portion size cautions. I threw those cautions to the wind yesterday rather than go off plan. I think that was the right choice, considering the way I felt and the alternatives.

I also ate a bit more fruit yesterday than called for. The caution is to limit to 1 - 2 servings, and make sure fruit is not being used as a candy bar replacement. I think I had 4 servings of fruit yesterday.

Just glad to have gotten through the day without doing an epic sugar binge. I'm calling it success.

Day 4 Meals:

B: Egg + Egg White + Veggie scramble with turkey sausage (using that up), strawberry / blueberry mix.
L: Chicken salad in romaine leaves, home made vegetable soup, apple
After that: Nut extravaganza with several trips back to the cabinet, watermelon, more strawberry/blueberry.

I am also going to try to be way more attentive to eating something (even if it's more like a snack size than a meal size) within an hour of getting up. I used to be a notorious breakfast skipper. I've read that the hormone actions in our body will allow us to skip breakfast and not be hungry, but the hormonal messages going on are "famine is coming!!!!!" So when we DO eat (i.e. lunch) the hormonal reaction is "FOOD!!! There is FOOD!!!! Stock up NOW because the FAMINE IS COMING!!!!" I really think yesterdays issues were more related to Day 4 with no sugar. However, I didn't eating for several hours after getting up and I'm sure that didn't help anything.

On to Day 5!!! Have a good day everyone.

DG
Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good going DG. So many LCers would go off plan rather than eat fruit...it's a crazy mentality.

I actually made mayo w EVOO and it turned out delic. I have done this before but it was too strong. The key was adding more lemon for me.
I also made the CO/EVOO mayo and ended up tossing it. Didn't seem so bad to dip vegies in, but I made tuna salad and ruined it. Also kept repeating...Gross!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #197
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/161/130
WOE: lchf/paleo/primal/keto
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
hubby and I start tomorrow! CANT WAIT!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Day 5 update

Hi there.

Jem, I read up thread about you guys trying EVCO mayo but I just can't wrap my brain around that, even though I love EVCO. I think I wait and just adjust to making olive oil mayo. Next time I might try using EVOO and more lemon juice as you suggested instead of the light olive oil. That I can imagine at least trying!!

I feel good today - no crazy cravings. YEAH. Meal plan is on track. I hope if I ever mention "cookies" somebody smacks me and reminds me of how horrible the sugarcarby monster really is.

Welcome Kerry! Good that you and your husband are on the same page. My husband cannot imagine life without Coke and frozen pizza. I told him when he gets diabetes like my Dad and needs someone to wipe his behind, he better not think I'm doing it if he's still drinking coke!!! Are you guys already low carb or starting from scratch?

DG
Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #199
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

we are already low carb. we went nuts going shopping today, it was so much fun.. I just weighd out a bunch of bags of veggies, and cooked some chicken and beef and weighed them and wrapped them in individual packages.
I bought a huge thing of pre triple washed organic greens that will make amazing salads, I hard boiled 18pk of eggs and have another 18pk in the fridge..

hows everyone doing with the whole grass fed meat thing.. I can't afford everything grass fed, but im making sure we take our omega 3's

tomorrow we are going to go to trader joes and im going to pick up some extra goodies like raw walnuts and almonds, some more meat, maybe some nitrate free bacon and some other goodies that are paleo friendly..
Fit into my Guess Black Skinny Jeans
"i may pause, but I don't stop"
Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Kerry ~ Welcome! I try to get grass fed on occassion, but it tends to be less available around here and when it is - it's expensive!! Therefore, I try to get the best I can and make sure to take plenty of omega 3's.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Day 6 Whole 30

Hi Kerry and June! Kerry, it sounds like you are having a blast getting your kitchen ready to go. Makes me want to go to TJ's today, which I should do come to think of it!

We get our grass fed beef (and pork) from a farmer not too far away. They have a monthly share program which includes chicken and fresh eggs too, but we are just nowhere close to a monthly pick up location. So we order either 1/2 or 1/4 of beef (and sometimes pork) and I pick it up in the winter when butchering is done. LOL, 1/2 tends to be slightly too much for us and 1/4 is not enough so we end up alternating. We LOVE the beef. It is very different from commercial. Much leaner and very tasty.

I'm debating about pork. I tend to only want certain cuts - The Universe didn't make pigs in the configuration I think they should be LOL!!! So I may just pick up occassional body parts I like at TJ's. There is another farmer who sells eggs and chicken at the farmers markets in the summer if I can track him down. Last year there was "Big Drama" in the Farmer's Market Circuit () and one management company boycotted some markets near me. Unfortunately that meant no nearby eggs and chicken! I'm hoping they have all kissed and made up for this year.

(so what in the sam hill was I doing at weight watchers eating processed crap anyway???)

Day 5 Meals - BACK ON TRACK (i.e. no nut-o-rama)

B: Ham, egg, mayo, pear
L: Chicken salad with 1/4 apple on greens with avacado & veggies, home made veg soup
S: EVCO right off the spoon, HB Egg
D: Bratwurst (from the farm pig) sliced in a concoction of tomatoes, peppers, onions, cabbage and HOT spices

Another note is that I have always had a huge bad habit of wanting to snack at bed time. Crawl in bed with a bowl of _______________ and eat and watch some stupid TV before falling asleep. I have not done that since starting Whole 30. That is a victory!

I did get on the scale today. 159.8. I would really like to just stay off of it for a week. We shall see. For me the highest priority of the moment is to be as clean as I can be with the food.

I would love if everyone would post meals! I'm on the hunt for new ideas.

Have a good day everyone!

DG

Last edited by Doggygirl; 05-01-2011 at 06:11 AM..
Old 05-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #202
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhinbrisvegas View Post
Kerry ~ Welcome! I try to get grass fed on occassion, but it tends to be less available around here and when it is - it's expensive!! Therefore, I try to get the best I can and make sure to take plenty of omega 3's.
ok well good to know its not just me.. I found a site online where people in my area go in on halfs and such of different grass fed animals. which is great to me.. I saw that the people got a lamb for like 190$ (about 26-45lbs)
I can't wait! hopefully that works out for me..

So today I have not eat yet, but made hubby an omlet with spinich and tomato..

How does everyone do the coffee thing? I guess I can quit cold turkey? The thought of coffee with no sweetner and no milk or anything (I could drink with almond milk no prob, or even coconut milk) does nothing for me..

Where is everyone getting their coconut milk or almond milk, is the stuff at the grocery store ok to use? or should we be making our own.. I'm not sure I have a blender good enough to make my own almond/coconut milk.. or is ppl using the coconut milk in the can?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Kerry I am lucky that I have always taken my coffee black! Good luck getting used to something different.....

I did get the Whole 30 e-book so now I can't remember if this level of detail was on the site or in the book. But either way..here is my understanding:

Almond Milk: Too much over processing in the store brands. Need to make your own if you are going to use it. (note: I was really shocked when I took a look at the label. A lot more than "almonds" listed there)

Coconut Milk: Look for canned only - not cartons. Look at the label - find brands with no other added ingredients. The exception is guar gum - that is OK as an added ingredient. Do not get "Lite" coconut milk - get the full meal deal.

DG
Old 05-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #204
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

ok guess i'll be looking for the stuff in the can, and guar gum is ok woohoo!

I guess if worse comes to worse i'll always get the coconut cream concentrate from tropical traditions.

I would love to try to make currie though!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #205
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

how about medications? like if I have a headache is it ok to take asperin?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I make my own coconut milk. A vitamix would be great but I use a bullet knock off and do it in batches.
1 c dry coconut makes a bit over a quart. Cheap.
I googled up some recipes. The thing I do differently is soak over night w about equal parts then heat up the filtered water and go from there.
I have an old nylon curtain for straining....works better than cheesecloth.

I've been buying grass fed for 9-10 yrs now. Initially it came from a family that raised only for themselves and sold part.
Since then I've always gone to eatwild and currently get 1/2, which is too much since I'm single.
I tried to go back to supermarket but was disappointed.
I would like to consider meat goat which would be perfect....Boer is the type one of local organic peop raise.

Craigslist is a great place to shop for farm food and shares.

If I have a headache that will not resolve w drinking more water, etc, I take aspirin.

Last edited by jem51; 05-01-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Old 05-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Kerry - if I had a headache, I would take aspirin! I don't recall the Whole30 e-book saying anything one way or the other, but I will report back if I'm in the book this week and notice anything about OTC meds.

jem, that is interesting about Craigslist. I'm going to give that a look as I would LOVE to find a source in reasonable distance for chicken and eggs without relying on the farmers markets.

DG
Old 05-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Jem ~ Thanks for the tip on making your own coconut milk. I had not even thought of that! I have a vitamix, so will have to give it a try.

Kerry ~ I still drink coffee w/coconut milk and no sweetner. That was a change for me as I used to use Splenda. But, this challenge has really weaned me off of the sweetners.

DG ~ I hope the farmers market drama has been resolved. I will try and remember to post menus. Mine are not very exciting though.

I have tried out a couple of farmers markets in the area and being in the desert - it's very limited. One of the better farmers markets got shut down due to licensing at the current location; so I am hoping it will be back soon (they are looking for a new location). I will try and give craigslist a try as well.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

Day 1 Whole 30 - Re-start

Hi everyone! Well, sugar detox is a #@^%! and that is all! I did not cave to sugarcarbies, thank goodness. And eating the Whole30 (with the exceptions I'm about to note) has IMO, made it light years easier. (plus large quantities of L-Glutamine....) BUT - yesterday I had another nut-o-rama and also got into the Chocoperfection bars. That's a sweet replica that I don't believe is consistent with the Whole30 program, despite the fact that the sweeteners are "natural." (sort of like the stevia discussion and whole 30)

Yesterday (Day 6) Meals:

B: Fried eggs in EVCO and bacon, grapefruit 1/2
L: Big salad with lots of veggies, ham, EVOO and vinegar
Rest of the day: Well, no sugar or grains and that's all I'm sayin' about it!

I really feel good about eating this way. I really want to do 30 days totally on the program. So I'm starting over at Day 1 today. I don't feel bad about it at all. I feel good about being almost a week totally grain and sugar free. That is monumental progress for me!!!

I am also toying with the idea of going without night shades for awhile just to see what that does for some joint creaky - sometimes painful stuff. However, I've decided I'm not going to tackle going night shade free until I have the regular Whole 30 WITH night shades under my belt.

I found another farm that sells chicken and eggs most of the year and it's under an hour away. I think a trip there once a month would be totally reasonable. They also make some chicken sausage and they also have elk which might be interesting to try. FRESH EGGS. That alone will be worth the trip. I'm going to call them now - I'm getting excited!

Progress - not perfection.

Hope everyone else is having a good day.

DG
Old 05-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

DG, you've done well so at least, give yourself a pat for not going totally bonkers w carbs.

Whenever I have to travel for meat pick up, I make a day of it.

Right now the rancher is a bit more than an hour away and the processor a bit farther. BUT it's on the coast so me 'n Lucy (dog) head for the beach.
When we picked up in Olympia, WA, we'd hit the food co op, see some sights and have lunch....also renewed my RN license in person.

So the reduction of coconut milk changed my breakfast habits to fruit plain, fruit salad sometimes a fruit smoothie.
Yesterday I had an orange at about 11.

Lunch; Greek salad sans cheese and some turkey slices.

Snack; Whipped up some creamed zucch soup.

Dinner; Steak.

Snack; Fresh pineapple.

I'm testing the idea that a fruit snack at bedtime induces better sleep.

My digestion is really improved.