Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
I love Nutiva. I put it in coffee and other hot drinks, I also use it on my skin and sometimes my daughters' skin as well.

I bought the Thai Kitchen brand of coconut milk this time because I realized the brand I was buying had a preservative (not paleo!!!) and wow I was impressed with all the snowy-white thick solids in the Thai kitchen brand. Its wonderful.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynhyvar View Post

Moon, have you tried refined coconut oil? That doesn't have any taste or smell of coconut and is meant for higher-heat applications like frying.
Oh, now I know what you're asking. I've been using evoo, which I think is paleo.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gwynhyvar
Stats: 243.8/222.4/130
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
extra virgin coconut oil will have the smell and taste of coconut, whereas the refined does not. Just a suggestion, if it's the coconut smell/taste that puts you off when sauteeing. I really don't notice it anymore.
gwynhyvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessreadytolose
Stats: 168/162/135
WOE: Gluten Free/Clean eating
Start Date: JUDDD 1/2/13
Thanks everyone for the coconut oil mayo recipes, I used 1 cup Spectrum organic coconut oil (refined, not virgin), 1 egg, 1 tbsp. mustard. I am not crazy about it, it's hard as a rock, has a weird mustard taste, I will keep tweaking it to make it good. I wonder if I was supposed to use dry mustard (spice), I used regular French's yellow mustard. Or Dijon would be good too? I may also use 1/4 cup EVOO and 3/4 cup CO.

Last edited by jessreadytolose; 04-14-2011 at 03:38 PM..
jessreadytolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Exercise??

Anyone exercising as well on this challenge?

I try to do cardio (30 minute jog/walk) 4 X per week. I have been slacking on the weight training lately, but try to do that 2X per week as well for 30 minutes.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #96
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessreadytolose View Post
Anyone exercising as well on this challenge?

I try to do cardio (30 minute jog/walk) 4 X per week. I have been slacking on the weight training lately, but try to do that 2X per week as well for 30 minutes.
I just walk a few times a week..that's about it lol
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Jess, I never add mustard to my mayo but many recipes use dry and some use wet.
I may whip up some tonight using 12 of each oil. I'll let you know....

I'm a walker but have a few things that I do just to add tone; crunches (I do 30 before I get out of bed). Calf raises, donkey kicks and leg raises while I'm waiting for the tea.
Throughout the day, I get in a set here and there of ballet stuff (standing).

In summer, things are very different. I swim near daily and work like a dog so get some pretty toned arms. I love summer.

Had a salad w HBE and a little legal ham for lunch and zucch soup.
Dinner will be the leftover pork hocks and rutabegga.

I still miss that glass of wine. I did not expect that to be the main item. I think it signals the end of the day and time to relax. It's only four oz!!

I passed a starbucks stand today and the smell was calling to me. After I passed by, I didn't give it another thought.

mm, I also wonder if I'm experiencing the honeymoon and will be ready to gnaw my fingers off for java by mid month.
I see so many get through w/o difficulty.....it's not fasting and we're still allowed all the flavors so.....
I get it about the banana. It's what I buy when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and have nothing. Seems every little mini market has a banana.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lilly29
Hi guys!

I don't have time to post much tonight, but just wanted to check in and say I'm still on plan and feeling great.

B: avocado
L: 1/2 sliced cucumber with homemade salad dressing, baked whole chicken leg
D: 3 cups (raw) sauteed spinach, two scrambled eggs, iced tea with 2/3 cup coconut milk

Hope everyone had a great day!
lilly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Good morning Paleo friends!

I am feeling so good about this way of eating. I had a pretty liberating moment yesterday, I officially went through my cupboards and fridge and tossed my old dairy standbys (the leftover crumbled gorgonzola, sliced cheddar and swiss, organic half and half)...Goodbye old friends!

I have successfully switched my younger DD's over to Sunbutter over peanut butter, my oldest one (7 years old) is pretty stuck in her ways, this will be more difficult for sure. I will keep trying.

Today's menu:

B- 2 Coffees with coconut milk and stevia drops, 2 eggs, bacon grease, spinach, 1/4 avacado

L- Sliced turkey (using up the deli meat I have left, then will not buy again), avacado, coconut mayo, salad with EVOO and lemon juice

D- Chicken wings (a treat, DH is going away skiing this weekend, I am home with the kids, so I am having a yummy meal to indulge in...lol)

I have been reading through the Primal blueprint website, (another great website!!!) and I was reading about once a week sprinting and it's benefits. I tried it this morning, OMG!!! I thought I was going to throw up, pass out, etc. I am still red faced an hour later, after my shower. It felt good though, and in all my years of "working out", I can say that I have never pushed myself in such a way. I plan on doing it once or twice a week for the benefits (and hopefully to help out with fat loss)

Last edited by jessreadytolose; 04-15-2011 at 05:21 AM..
Old 04-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #100
Blabbermouth!!!

I had some rotissierie (sp?) chicken for breakfast and it was wonderful
Old 04-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone,
I'm doing well aside from the fact that my doctor figured out my coughing is from heartburn. Because of that, I am on omeprazole until it heals and I have dropped it down to zero carb for awhile which clears up any and all symptoms of mine, which is why I use ZC from time to time as a kind of detox.

With ZC and omeprazole I've had total elimination of symptoms, so I'll stick with it for a bit, although I am going to disneyland on Sunday! In a way ZC is easier than LC with travel - simplicity rules. As soon as I have full relief for awhile I'll go back to adding in healthy carbs.

So I'm keeping it paleo with coconut milk in coffee plus meats/poultry

So that would explain losing more weight, although I'm thrilled to get rid of five pounds so quickly.

My biggest challenge with Disneyland is NOT treats. I really want Diet Coke.

Did you know, they know diet soda is not dangerous, but it makes people fat. Over and over the studies bear this out, that it makes people fat, and they don't really know why. They suspect its insulin, but they haven't proven it.

I was a diet coke addict before paleo and look at my recent losses. I just wonder about that.

Stay on course all, its worth it!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning.

mm, I have heartburn and it restarted when I went high fat. Since I reduced that, it has diminished but still hangs on.
Over the past few days it is gradually receeding.

That is part of the reason I decided to start the W30....that and the cold I've had for nearly 2 wks. I've never had a cold that lasted more than 3-4 days and I only got one once every 3 yrs. This year I've had 2.

So I made the mayo last night using 2/3 c CO and the rest OO. It's good and it is firm but not hard. I like it and feel that this is the perfect ratio just for flavor.
I'll use it today in tuna and see what I think.

I missed coffee a little this morning. Just a passing thought.

I'm planning to bake up that chicken w the smoked paprika blend for dinner. Will also have my first sweet potato.
The chicken recipe is from primal-palate.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

mm, just wanted that CO irritates my throat.
I can use it in recipes but if I put it in tea or eat it straight or in bark, it will irritate my throat.

I have heard others say this so it is not unheard of....
Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #104
Blabbermouth!!!

I've read about diet drinks causing metabolic syndrome. I know I have an addition to them I had a rough day yesterday on my first paleo day and gave in to a Coke Zero last night. I also had one sweet-n-low in my coffee this morning. This is much better compared to three diet drinks a day along with many, many packets of sweet-n-low in multiple cups of coffee before. baby steps....
Old 04-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know about the diet soda thing since most of the peop I know who drink it eat all kinds of crap. AND there are many LC plans that don't restrict it and peop are successful.

That said, I am not a soda drinker except in summer when I may have several over the course of the summer.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlhinbrisvegas
Stats: 210/178.8/135
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: re-started March 2011
My hubby has heartburn as well and I am trying to convince him to join me on paleo. (His doctor is pushing the standard high fiber diet.) I think I'm winning him over.

I'm feeling really good so far. Amazed at how I am satisfied on so little food.

B: Chicken salad (leftover from last night), avocado

D: Taco salad (ground turkey cooked with spices, greens, avocado, tomato)

I don't find myself very hungry at lunch, so usually snack on nuts, cold meat, etc.
jlhinbrisvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
I don't know about the diet soda thing since most of the peop I know who drink it eat all kinds of crap. AND there are many LC plans that don't restrict it and peop are successful.

That said, I am not a soda drinker except in summer when I may have several over the course of the summer.
Oh jem....you're making me think about it...

They sell cold diet coke all over disneyland!

argh its just a really tough one for me. Interestingly, I'm not craving sugar or beer, which was my old haunt. I guess its because I know they'll both instantly derail me. But that diet coke...it makes a spartan diet SO much more fun.

Interesting your thoughts on CO and throat irritation...I wonder if its related in my case.

So my ZC thing didn't last long. The omeprazole is helping so much. So I had 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce with my burger at lunch, with a ton of mustard. Mmmmm...have you guys tried iceberg as a sandwich holder? I really love it. Its firm and holds up well while eating, it enlarges your sandwich and there's that satisfying crunch.

Last edited by moonmirror; 04-15-2011 at 12:12 PM..
Old 04-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #108
Blabbermouth!!!

I know many that do well on LC diets with drinking diet drinks but there are many that say artifiical sweetners slow them down quite a bit too. I guess it's an individual thing really. I'm having a little bit every day, cutting wayyyyy down. I hope to eventually get rid of it altogether but just can't yet
Old 04-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lilly29
Jess - thanks for sharing that link to Mark's Daily Apple. I downloaded his free fitness ebook and it looks like a doable fitness routine for me. I'm impressed you did the sprinting, I think I actually would pass out at this point. Good luck with the older kiddo!

MM - sorry to hear about the heartburn I'm glad it sounds like you've got a plan for relief. I bet you'll see some amazing losses with the ZC + no diet coke. I know what you mean about how powerfully you can want it even if you're not craving off-plan food. Amazing to see your significant loss after cutting it out. Could be a coincidence, but you're right, they keep showing us time and time again that diet sodas make so many gain. When do you leave for Disneyland? I'm SO jealous, I love Disneyland! And glad to hear you're feeling a strict ZC regimen is going to be easier to follow.

Jem - I hope your cold clears up soon. I'm like you, I get sick SO rarely and when I do it's brief, but this year I have a horrible cold that simply will not die. In the last week since starting paleo, I have found relief from all the snot in the back of my throat tho, which is a good thing. Sorry, hope no one is eating while reading that. Congrats on the mayo making success!

Star - progress not perfection. I'm sorry your first paleo day was rough. Was today any easier?

June - I'm amazed by how much more satisfied I am with less food eating this way too. Even more so than with Atkins, which I loved for its appetite suppression! I hope your husband jumps on board! My partner, who is not overweight despite a love for coke and candy, has said she wants to give paleo a try too. I'm super excited.

Day 7 under my belt!!

My day was good. I really wasn't hungry today, and had more of a small snacky day of less than optimal foods, but still paleo. I can't really even break it down into meals, except for "lunch" around 3 that was a couple grill boneless/skinless chicken thighs. I had a big handful of nuts (mac and almonds) both in the late morning and the late afternoon. I don't know if I'll be eating a real dinner, I will if I'm hungry for it. I have some ground beef and spinach in the fridge, so if I do get hungry, I'll sautee that up.

Happy weekend, everyone! I might be able to post tomorrow evening, but likely you won't hear from me again till Monday late afternoon/evening. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
lilly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I really think that diet soda once in a while won't kill ya. I know that too much of the regular type will surely kill ya and maybe give you some very painful kidney stones along the way.
Might as well take the lesser of two evils and probably drink water most of the time w a bit of the other stuff thown in.

AND surely, mm, you know that what happens in Disneyland, stays in Disneyland.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Christine.

If you are following Whole 30, some of the snack items won't work; jerky (unless you make your own or can find a legal variety).
Obviously the chocolate.....

I am going to make the curried shrimp w spinach tonight.

Yesterday I had a horrible eating experience; I made the tuna salad from theclothesmakethegirl using the CO mayo and it was not so good. AND it repeated endlessly. yuck. The mayo is out. I'll use it in salad dressing and for dip.

For dinner I baked up the smoked paprika chicken thighs and it turned out awful! Not to mention the recipe calls for baking at 425 so after 25 min there was so much smoke I thought my house was on fire. Then it was over cooked and the oven was a mess.

The flavor was just not there. And all the grease made me gag, I cut it off the bones for the pets.

I am so over the high fat thing!! Never thought I'd be saying that! which made me think that we talk about how bad the advice of medical professionals is, then follow any dietary advice that we read on these forums.....even when some of our LC friends have heart attacks or succumb to cancer after years of staying true to their woe......AND all that high fat just brought back the heartburn that I had escaped from when I gave up my whole grain vegetarian diet.

I'm not saying it's the fat per se, but just the whole mind set and refusal to take off the blinders. It's not a lot different than the obsessed vegetarians who'll forge ahead when their health is failing....I know, I was one of them.

Keep in mind, I am not a fan of most medical advice. Just sayin'.

I'm making ghee since I have butter in the fridge that will be stale in 30 days. I'm doing the 200 oven for 30 min since I scorched the last batch using the stove top method.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Sorry for the grumpiness.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

AND surely, mm, you know that what happens in Disneyland, stays in Disneyland.

True. However, it seems every day that I wake up, I am lighter. I'm now in the 160's.

It seems what I really crave, is to not fall off track on vacation, to continue losing and not just decide with NO data to back it up, that I can drink diet soda and still lose weight. I only did ZC for one day, so I'll eat fruits and veggies there. And drink coffee.

yesterday's menu:

B: coffee with a ton of coconut milk, stevia

L: large hamburger patty seasoned with Pappys, cooked in bacon grease, eaten with 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, mustard.

D: Six slices deli meat with mustard and 1/2 head iceberg lettuce. About a cup of rotisserie chicken. 1/2 banana. 6 green grapes.

Then bedtime.

Last edited by moonmirror; 04-16-2011 at 09:20 AM..
Old 04-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I am so over the high fat thing!! Never thought I'd be saying that! which made me think that we talk about how bad the advice of medical professionals is, then follow any dietary advice that we read on these forums.....even when some of our LC friends have heart attacks or succumb to cancer after years of staying true to their woe......AND all that high fat just brought back the heartburn that I had escaped from when I gave up my whole grain vegetarian diet.

I'm not saying it's the fat per se, but just the whole mind set and refusal to take off the blinders. It's not a lot different than the obsessed vegetarians who'll forge ahead when their health is failing....I know, I was one of them.
Yeah. I'm not sure about the high fat thing. Honestly, I believe our bodies do best with moderation, plus very few grains.

My heartburn was much, much worse as a high-grain vegetarian. It wasn't any better than going all-meat/fat. What's the message here? Keeping things balanced.

I'm eating much less fat now, and enjoying some fruits, plus I dropped the chemicals, and the weight is literally FALLING off me now.

I think the clue to the idea that fats are healthy is this: Yes, add fats to your food and don't be afraid of it, but it won't work to literally LIVE on fat.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Awww, Jem, I hope your day is better today. Hugs.

Moon, Awesome losses this week, I am very impressed!

I ended up coming with DH to ski weekend, I am hanging in the condo today, DH is skiing. I had a nice breakfast of eggs and bacon, we will go out later for dinner. I will have a salad.
I wanted to get some exercise in, and we are on the 4th floor, so I ran up and down 8 times, I am pooped! It felt good though. Have a great weekend everyone, I'll check back in Monday.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugardemon
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: Restart: April 2011
Day 6

Moonmirror: You are doing sooo awesome! I might copy your menu! LOL
ChristineCQ: Thank you for the link to the 14 days of meal. Those recipes look pretty yummy!

I missed logging my Day 4/5. It was my days off and I didn't touch a computer!

I splurged a bit on my w'kend with dairy and sweeteners (ie Starbux!!). But I'm back to my clean Paleo eating today. My cravings are back (sadly) so I gotta push thru the next couple days to get back to that happy no hungry feeling again.

B: 2 scrambled eggs and 2 strips of bacon.
L: 6 broiled chicken wings
D: Teriyaki place - beef no sauce and steamed broccolli galore!
Old 04-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Jem ~ Sorry you had such a bad day. I hope the weekend gets better for you.

moon ~ I agree with keeping things balanced. I have been through so many diets over the years and I truly believe the best we can do is figure out what works for us and our own bodies.

Things are going pretty well for me. Still splend and dairy free - which is huge for me. I just need to incorporate exercise in a bit more.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #117
Blabbermouth!!!

I think I'm finding what works for me: I'm combining paleo with intermittent fasting, having my morning coffee and then eating only between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. I mean, some cavemen were poor hunters and were maybe nearsighted like me and had to eat in a certain window of time anyway right ?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

I've eaten very lowfat today and I am literally starving. I think I could eat a horse.

I used to get all my fat on Atkins from dairy. I don't like fatty meats. I'm eating lowfat because I have to! No butter, no cream, no mayo. Its crazy. No wonder people lose weight on Paleo! I'm hungry. But I'm just not going to use CO for everything. Its too weird in everything. I'd rather just omit fat than eat fats I don't like.

So I ate very lean meat plus 1/2 banana at lunch, and it about did me in. Starving. No more fruit unless I am really full.

TOM is this week and I could really throw in the towel if I'm not careful, so I'm going to keep that in mind.

The only thing that works is to eat beef. If I eat beef, I am full.

Off to Disneyland at 5am tomorrow. Wish me luck. Stay strong, everyone!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmirror View Post
I've eaten very lowfat today and I am literally starving. I think I could eat a horse.

I used to get all my fat on Atkins from dairy. I don't like fatty meats. I'm eating lowfat because I have to! No butter, no cream, no mayo. Its crazy. No wonder people lose weight on Paleo! I'm hungry. But I'm just not going to use CO for everything. Its too weird in everything. I'd rather just omit fat than eat fats I don't like.

So I ate very lean meat plus 1/2 banana at lunch, and it about did me in. Starving. No more fruit unless I am really full.

TOM is this week and I could really throw in the towel if I'm not careful, so I'm going to keep that in mind.

The only thing that works is to eat beef. If I eat beef, I am full.

Off to Disneyland at 5am tomorrow. Wish me luck. Stay strong, everyone!
Good luck at Disney!! Have a great trip.

I've been thinking a lot about the fruit, and I think I'm going to stay away, for the most part. Maybe strawberries in a smoothie in the morning, but that will be it. I think it'll be a slippery slope for me.

Bought some CO today, plus avocados, chicken, tahini, zucchini, cucumbers, almonds, eggs, bacon. I'm planning to pick up more things tomorrow, like things to make the paleo spaghetti (I think it looks great!). What I like about that 14 day menu is that I am happy eating weird things for breakfast (chicken salad), so I have no problem mixing up the order of the meals. I'm also not a big snacker, so I don't expect to worry about those.

Here's to a lot of luck on day one (tomorrow!). You ladies are excellent role models, and I have learned a great deal from you this week, so I hope I am equipped!

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Leslie ~ I probably would have been one of those poor hunters with eye problems. I am currently reading Primal Blueprint (was curious how it differed from Robb Wolf's Paleo) and he mentions IF and the feast/famine back in the caveman day.

Moon ~ Have fun at Disney!

Christine ~ I have avoided fruit so far. For me, I am scared it will lead to sugar cravings, binges, etc. I know part of it is I was so used to not having it on lc diets. Maybe when I lose a bit more weight and get closer to goal?