Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessreadytolose
Stats: 168/162/135
WOE: Gluten Free/Clean eating
Start Date: JUDDD 1/2/13
I just want to thank you all for the coconut milk in the coffee suggestion, I was really mourning the loss of my morning coffee, it is actually tastier to me than half and half or HWC!!! Yay!!! Have a great day all!!
jessreadytolose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 04:34 AM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I'm going grocery shopping tonight and will start tomorrow I'm researching some paleo recipes and looking forward to having a few fruits. I should try some coconut milk in my coffee too! I use coconut oil to cook with and it's yummy

Any suggestions for my grocery shopping?
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Some shopping ideas: Meats, eggs, low sugar fruits (berries, melon), all veggies (I avoid carrots, corn, and potatoes), coconut oil, EVOO, nuts (personal preference if you want to add them), lemon juice or vinegars (for salad dressing)
Old 04-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Hi everybody!!

Day five, and I'm even more convinced this is the way to eat for me. I feel more balanced, with more energy than ever, and improved sleep.

Carb-wise, I am still eating roughly 1/2 to one piece of fruit daily, and maybe 1/4 cup (if that) of sweet potato at night. If you add sweet potato to your soups, it thickens and sweetens them with just a small amount. Last night's chicken soup for five had only one very small (three inch) sweet potato in it, but you could really taste how it changed the soup.

I add a lot of vegetables to my soups as well, including tomatoes and carrots, so they're probably pretty high in carbs, but during the day its only iceberg lettuce as a sandwich holder. My theory is: I'm not eating ANY highfat dairy, so I get to replace it with a moderate amount of nutritious carbs I'd never eat on Atkins. Also, I tend to not overeat nutritious carbs...its the non-nutritive ones that have always plagued me.

My weight is still down. I think honestly, not snacking on cheese all day and not drinking all that cream is helping. My snacks now are lean deli meat. I know that is not paleo, but on the whole30 site they say deli meat is ok for this challenge.

Here's hoping I NEVER change this woe!

I do have some concerns about Disneyland next week, I kind of want to have just one treat while I'm there. Its possible I will make that exception. We'll see.

Glad you are all enjoying the coconut milk in coffee. I need to restock on coconut products!!

Last edited by moonmirror; 04-13-2011 at 07:19 AM..
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I also have no problems eating a carrot or apple but a cookie....that's a different story.

I bought some sweet potatoes but haven't had one yet. Will add them PRN though. I'm thinking of roasting some chicken and maybe will have it w that.

I saw a recipe that was a rub including smoked paprika. Maybe chowstalker...not sure. Will need to go over my fav recipe sites.

Zucchini hummus is basically a standard hummus but the beans are omitted and raw zucch is the replacement. I love it!!
I don't measure but you can google up a million recipes.

Standard hummus is garbonzas, lemon juice, garlic, tahini. salt. Then there are all sorts of variation; David Lebovitz (I think) adds cumin. Some add olive oil (I don't like that). If you're in a mid east restaurant it'll probably have some OO and paprika on it.
Anyway, you put it all in the processor and let it rip. Adjust ingred as needed.
I like it better w zucch instead of beans.

Later....
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlhinbrisvegas
Stats: 210/178.8/135
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: re-started March 2011
Jem ~ The zucch hummus sounds yummy. Will have to get some zucchini and try it out.

I love this challenge as I am getting some great recipe ideas. Thank you lilly for setting this up.

Day 3 and things are going well. Not missing the splenda as much as I thought I would. Will be curious to see how it goes after 30 days.
jlhinbrisvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lilly29
Day 5 for me today, too! I'm feeling really fantastic.

Moonmirror, was it you who mentioned you feel like this diet is helping with inflammation? Someone did yesterday or the day before, and I have to say I completely agree. My big inflammation marker is my face, I have extremely fair, sensitive skin and over the last few days I've been watching it get less and less red and inflamed looking. This morning I woke up to NO redness, NO breakout. Acne had never really been a problem for me until lately, and I seemed to keep a steady two or three pimples hanging around my chin. Today... GONE.

Another nice side effect I'm noticing is less water retention in my legs. I have always been extremely prone to retaining water easily, especially in my legs since I stand all day. I noticed last night after standing for 12 hours, and I'm not kidding here, NO SWELLING.

This morning I wasn't very hungry, but ate 1/2 an avocado anyway, since I'm still fresh enough off the carbs that while I'm enjoying the hunger suppression of ketosis, I don't want to get myself into a place where I'm hungry enough later to make a bad decision.

I'm gonna get some zucchinis on my next trip to the grocery store and definitely try the zucch hummus. It sounds like it would be delicious on my beloved cucumber slices.

A new find to share for anyone who is eating seeds - dry roasted pumpkin seeds taste and smell just like popcorn. Last night I tossed some raw pumpkin seeds in a hot pan on low to roast them for my salads. Um, YUM. I didn't salt them, so as delicious as they were, I didn't run into portion control issues like I do with roasted salted nuts. Was able to enjoy a few last night after they cooked, and loving them on my salad for lunch right now.

So far today -
B: 1/2 avocado
L: Salad (romaine, cucumbers, shredded carrots, homemade dressing with EVOO and red wine vinegar), with 1/2 avocado and chopped up roasted chicken thighs.

Not sure what dinner will be yet, probably leftovers from last night with some sauteed spinach.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
lilly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugardemon
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: Restart: April 2011
Day 3

I felt so good today... I was curious what I weighed... know, bad coz it shouldn't matter at this point. But, I'm happy to report 183.5 down from 186. It's a beautiful thing.

B: Coffee w/ coconut
L: 3 scrambled eggs
D: Chicken Teriyaki (no teriyaki sauce, no rice) with steam vegies
S: something... maybe nuts, maybe nothing. =P

I'm having very little hunger and meals feel more like snacks now. I gotta make sure to drink more water. I'm thinking what's making this effective for me (when I was unable to stick to LC before!) is the lack of sweeteners.. and maybe even dairy. There's just NO cravings like before. Awesome!!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Moonmirror - do you think you could plan to have your treat at the end of your vacation? That way you get to have it if you really end up wanting it, but don't have to worry about it sending you into a tailspin?

Star73, jess gave you a great shopping list. I'd add avocados if you like them, I am finding them to be integral to my success eating this way, and definitely get some coconut milk.

Sorry I don't have time to reply to everyone, but I am enjoying reading about everyone's experience and success so far! Go us!
Old 04-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessreadytolose View Post
Some shopping ideas: Meats, eggs, low sugar fruits (berries, melon), all veggies (I avoid carrots, corn, and potatoes), coconut oil, EVOO, nuts (personal preference if you want to add them), lemon juice or vinegars (for salad dressing)
thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly29 View Post

Star73, jess gave you a great shopping list. I'd add avocados if you like them, I am finding them to be integral to my success eating this way, and definitely get some coconut milk.

Sorry I don't have time to reply to everyone, but I am enjoying reading about everyone's experience and success so far! Go us!
Thanks! the only way I've ever eaten avocados is in guacamole dip...what ways do you eat it? Definitely looking for coconut milk..what about almond milk?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardemon View Post
Day 3

I felt so good today... I was curious what I weighed... know, bad coz it shouldn't matter at this point. But, I'm happy to report 183.5 down from 186. It's a beautiful thing.

B: Coffee w/ coconut
L: 3 scrambled eggs
D: Chicken Teriyaki (no teriyaki sauce, no rice) with steam vegies
S: something... maybe nuts, maybe nothing. =P

I'm having very little hunger and meals feel more like snacks now. I gotta make sure to drink more water. I'm thinking what's making this effective for me (when I was unable to stick to LC before!) is the lack of sweeteners.. and maybe even dairy. There's just NO cravings like before. Awesome!!!!
That's great about the cravings! Did you always eat such small portions or is it because you are doing paleo now? Looking at your menu I think I would starve...but maybe it's like you said, you don't have dairy or sweeteners anymore
Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Almond milk is not allowed due to all the ingredients, even if unsweetened. When I was a raw fooder, I made my own. Like coconut milk, homemade is not the same; it's more fluid like milk.
The reason they allow coconut milk is because it has only one extra ingred which is usually xanthan gum (I think....maybe guar).
Anyway, it's one of the concessions on the list.

If you follow the comments, you'll see some of these questions come up.

I am a huge fan of zucchini and when my garden is going, I eat it daily. Even replace cukes w it. When it's freshly picked, it is amazing.
So that leads me to one of my favorite soups; saute some garlic in OO then add stock and chopped zucchini.
Simmer a few minutes til just softened. Puree. Salt and Pepper to taste.
I add red pepper flakes to pretty much everything so if you so desire, add them w the garlic.
If you don't have a stick blender, get one. They can be had to $10 or so, unless you get one at the thrift store. Then they are more like $2.

This morning I went to the doc first thing so had McD's sausage and eggs (sides) at about 1030. (When this happens, I refuse to make myself nuts over oil, etc).

An oz of raw almonds at 1430.

Came home and threw together soup; sauteed garlic, ginger, red pepper. Added coconut milk, stock and pumpkin. Ate it from the pan as soon as it was hot enough.
This is a place where I might've added some stevia dust but I'm discovering that it is not needed.

Still have about 4 oz burger so something related for dinner.

I am so glad that we're staying comitted. I know it's early but some don't last more than a day or two in challenges.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

I'm glad too! Its cool we all just started up and stuck with it. Maybe that treat isn't worth it? Disneyland sells fresh fruit in their side stands, too.

Loving the recipe ideas Jem; and sugardemon...I know, about the weight loss! Its pretty cool!

I'm thinking 1. dairy was causing me far more problems than I thought and 2. that I actually need more carbs than induction levels to feel good/lose weight AND 3. there is really something to getting off the artificial substances.

I'm hooked. I'm also so glad everyone's doing so well and feeling good!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Star73... OmyGoodness! I have a RAVENOUS appetite. To see how small my menu looks is weird to me too. I just don't feel hungry today. If you look at Day 1/2 menus, there's definitely more food. Even when I did Atkins, I was eating all day.. making cream cheese desserts, planning cheesy meals or drinking sweet coffee and just thinking about LC foods in general.

I really think it's the omission of dairy & sweeteners that is the secret of success. Maybe we can add it back later in moderation and for maintenance. But weight loss.. it seems essential!
Sugardemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmirror View Post

I'm thinking 1. dairy was causing me far more problems than I thought and 2. that I actually need more carbs than induction levels to feel good/lose weight AND 3. there is really something to getting off the artificial substances.

I'm hooked. I'm also so glad everyone's doing so well and feeling good!
Moonmirror, I soooo agree with you on that. And we've only just started. Such quick results after a few days?? Amazing. Maybe there is something to this "Paleo" thing. LOL I haven't added much carbs back yet (apple or swt potato)... I'm scared! But I like that it's available if I need it.
Sugardemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

Laura that's awesome! I hope the same goes for me cause on LC I was the same way you are...cream cheese, artifical sweeteners, cheese, always thinking about food.

Well, girls and guys I stocked up on all my good foods for paleo. I looked at coconut milk but it said vanilla also on the carton so I wasn't sure and just figured I will drink my coffee black ...I've been doing that anyway the last couple of days trying to prepare myself for this I have extra virgin coconut oil to use for cooking with. Meats, salad, fresh lemons for my "salad dressing", some almonds, and a few fruits. Gonna have to limit fruits. oh and lots and lots of eggs! I've been missing eggs lately even though I got burned out on them before. I figure maybe three a day will be ok.

I'm excited to get started and know I will feel better
Old 04-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

So, this is very odd, and I'm curious to hear if anyone else has a similar experience. Today, out of the blue, I started my period, 13 days after my last one finished. No PMS, and I mean none. My PMS has gotten so bad in recent months that I went seeking nutritional answers, and my main motivation for trying such a strict diet as paleo was hope that my PMS symptoms would lesson. So, very, very bizarre. Could just be a fluke, but my period is generally very regular. I can't help but wonder if it's some sort of detox reaction?

Star - I just slice up the avocado and eat it all by itself. Creamy deliciousness. You want to get the coconut milk in the can, the brand Thai Kitchen coconut milk has two ingredients, coconut and (I believe) guar gum, a thickener.

Sugardemon - I absolutely agree that I think the omission of dairy and sweeteners is the real key. Most of us who tried Atkins or other low-carb plans already know the miracles that happen when we take out grains and sugar. I previously didn't seek out soy, but I didn't completely avoid it either, I think keeping that out of the diet probably has really good benefits too. But I know that when I really felt my best on Atkins, I wasn't eating dairy or artificial sweeteners. Over the last several months, I kept the sweeteners out but did indulge in some (ok, too much ) sugar, and my dairy intake kept creeping up and creeping up. I am loving how I feel with NONE of those substances going into my body!

Moonmirror - I'm hooked too! I realize I'm still honeymooning, but I feel like this is really going to be a lifelong commitment for me. And amazingly, as long as I am prepared by taking my lunch and keeping staples in the fridge, it's actually incredibly easy.

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Just want to say that you all are very inspiring! I am really motivated now that I have seen how this plan plays out in "real life." I am sipping my coffee with coconut milk as I type this (I happened to have some on hand), and I love love love avocados! I think this is something I can do. I'm going to hit the store for a few staples, and then Saturday: Day One. Keep up the great work, everyone!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #79
Blabbermouth!!!

Lilly, thanks! I will look for it in the can next time I go to the store

Welcome Christine! Today is my first day on paleo! It's great to start something with so many people
Old 04-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Good morning everyone!

Today's menu:
B- Coffee with coconut milk and liquid vanilla creme stevia, 2 eggs, 2 bacon, 1 cup spinach

L- turkey burger, coconut mayo, avacado, small salad with EVOO and squirt of lemon,

D- Baked, boneless pork chops, almond flour breading, drizzled with EVOO, roasted zucchini

S- 1 tbsp. coconut oil

Can't give up my stevia just yet, and of course the almond flour on my pork chops...Baby steps...
Old 04-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Today's meal:
Black coffee 2-3 cups
B: Two-egg omelet with shredded chicken breast.
L: Plain albacore tuna.
D: Boneless skinless baked chicken thighs in coconut oil placed over a salad of greens with fresh squeezed lemon juice for dressing (will make my daughter chicken spaghetti out of the rest of the chicken as she doesn't like salad).

Lots of water with lemon juice and a few natural almonds and a banana for snacks (have to have a banana due to being on Topamax now).
Old 04-14-2011, 07:37 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Holy cow, you guys. I'm speechless.

2 more pounds. I'm on day six of Paleo, and since starting whole30 I have lost 4 pounds.

Granted, I've been lowcarbing since 3/23, and sometimes weight loss is simply delayed like that, but OBVIOUSLY something was totally wrong with my diet before or there wouldn't be such a huge change just with these diet changes, and I also wouldn't feel so...normal and balanced.

I am not hungry between meals. I am eating quite a lot. Still a piece of fruit in the afternoon.

And...its TOM for me, my period is due next week.

I always wondered if there was a way to eat that would simply correct my weight, and it seems I've found it.

Last edited by moonmirror; 04-14-2011 at 07:38 AM..
Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday's menu:

about 32 oz coffee with probably a whole cup of coconut milk, 1 tbs coconut oil, and stevia drops...I know, it was just too yummy so I kept refilling it!

Lunch: One cup of hamburger soup made with homemade beef stock, hamburger, carrots, tomatoes, onions, celery, sweet potatoes

snack: 1/2 small orange

Dinner: came home ravenous...had about four slices thin deli meat with mustard, one cup chicken soup made with homemade chicken stock, carrots, celery, sweet potatoes and onions. Still hungry. Had 2 cups of the above hamburger soup.

Finished dinner around 5:30 enormously full, done eating for the evening.

Woke up this am with another 2 pound weight loss.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Star, bananas are legal. Up to you. I believe many LCers are afraid of it but it seems that peop are having success while including it.

Remember that study, I think it was in October; A paleo diet which included no more than 2 potatoes daily. Fruit was not limited and the paleo participants consumed quite a lot.
The second group ate a meditteranian diet.

Guess who had the best results? Paleos. BG's came in line, peop were more satiated, weight loss.....

Jess, I think the coconut/OO mayo is just a standard recipe w 1/2 of each oil. I'm planning to try it out soon as my last batch runs out.

I haven't checked my blood sugar as promised. I keep forgeting.
I'll get to it, though.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlhinbrisvegas
Stats: 210/178.8/135
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: re-started March 2011
lilly ~ I just finished up TOM last week and found my PMS and cramps to be much less than what I had experienced in the past. I was flirting with paleo (low carbing/paleo foods, but had not yet given up dairy and splenda). Will be curious to see how it goes next time on 100% paleo.

Christine ~ Welcome!

moon ~ Congrats on your additional weight loss!

Took a peek at the scale - I'm a scale addict and can honestly say going 30 days without weighing would not work for me. The numbers are going down! I too am amazed at how my appetite has really gone down. Low carb used to subdue it, but not to the effect paleo has. I think the lack of cheese and splenda might be a big factor in my appetite.

Hope everyone has a great day!

jlhinbrisvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #86
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
Star, bananas are legal. Up to you. I believe many LCers are afraid of it but it seems that peop are having success while including it.

Remember that study, I think it was in October; A paleo diet which included no more than 2 potatoes daily. Fruit was not limited and the paleo participants consumed quite a lot.
The second group ate a meditteranian diet.

Guess who had the best results? Paleos. BG's came in line, peop were more satiated, weight loss.....

Jess, I think the coconut/OO mayo is just a standard recipe w 1/2 of each oil. I'm planning to try it out soon as my last batch runs out.

I haven't checked my blood sugar as promised. I keep forgeting.
I'll get to it, though.
I definitely have this LC mentality that I need to get rid of I can't be in ketosis anyway with taking Topamax so I guess I should just eat go bananas on the bananas huh hahaha.... nah..but I will enjoy some fruit now and not worry about carbs. I'm gonna watch my calories though... keep it all clean
Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So, I made a smoothie this morning; 1/2 avo, 1 banana, about 2 T blueberries (the last of 'em), coconut milk.
I used my stick bleder in a jar, just adding the coconut milk 'til the right texture.
I was planning to add an egg yolk....just forgot.
It was very good.

I googled recipes for mayo made w CO and there are so many ratios, it just depends on your taste.
LCF has one CO:OO, 1/3 c:2/3 c.
Dr Fife 1 c:1/4 c
Tropical traditions 1/2 c;1/2 c

TT uses 1 whole egg and 2 yolks which I would not like. I've always used 1 whole egg.
The olive oil softens it so that is probably the reason for the small amt.
I'll try the equal parts.

I wasn't going to mention it, but followingmynose has a recipe for non dairy creamer.
It is simply three ingredients; a can of coconut milk, and egg, and coconut oil whipped up like mayo. She added some vanilla.

The basic recipe is all legal, healthy ingred, so what the heck.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gwynhyvar
Stats: 243.8/222.4/130
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
Wow, wish I'd found you guys earlier! I've been paleo a month, and love, love, love it! I'm going to be out of town for a few days, but will check back in when I get home.

Thanks for the zucchini hummus tip -- going to make that soon!
gwynhyvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome, gwyn!

I have to say, I enjoy eating a banana in the afternoon, it is SUCH a huge treat after being on Atkins.

Yet I still have a bit of lc mentality; I find myself deciding Gosh I can't eat a whole banana!!! What about carbs??? Then I only eat half, usually.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gwynhyvar
Stats: 243.8/222.4/130
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
What brand coconut milk do you recommend? I think I have a can of Thai something that I found at the grocery store.

Found some coconut butter on Amazon that I might try. Also heard coconut cream/concentrate is wonderful. I love coconut, so this is not a hardship for me!

Moon, have you tried refined coconut oil? That doesn't have any taste or smell of coconut and is meant for higher-heat applications like frying.
gwynhyvar is offline   Reply With Quote