Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlhinbrisvegas
Stats: 210/178.8/135
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: re-started March 2011
Day 1:

B: 2 eggs cooked in olive oil, roasted asparagus, coffee w/coconut milk and coconut oil

L: still deciding

D: Paleo Curry

I'm going to miss butter and splenda
jlhinbrisvegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
The most recent version cleary states no alcohol. (Put the rules in your favorites so you can just pull it up....the one dated 12/31/2010)

Yes to nitrite free and sausage is easy to make since all it's flavor comes from the spice mix. Mark over at Primal Blueprint had it on the weekend love link.
Buy some ground pork or the meat of your choice and mix it all up then make some patties.

I will miss my latte so much that I just decided to give up coffee for the month.
I made some chai and coconut milk...of course, I'd like to add some stevia, but it's fine w/o.

It's pretty late so I probably won't eat til noonish;
eggdrop soup
For dinner I have some fresh pork hocks that I cooked w some onion and rutabbega. I skimmed some of the fat off and it looks good.

I usually don't eat sweet potatoes but decided to take advantage of all the foods that are allowed to some degree.
I'll carry some nuts and probably a piece of fruit since I don't want to have an excuse to cheat..and, start over.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
all nuts, including almonds, are firing up allergy symptoms for me.

breakfast: one hard boiled egg.

I don't know how to add fat. As much as I like coconut oil, I don't like it in anything sauteed. Olive oil I don't care for much... I could do a vinaigrette, but I don't like vinaigrette enough, so I tend to wrap things in lettuce and eat it with mustard.

What's happening, is I'm ending up eating a lot less fat overall, which means that I'm eating very little and losing no weight.

Still at 175 this morning, which is typical for me when my ratios lean too far toward protein and away from fat.

I have to say, if I weren't wheezing every time I eat dairy, nuts or nitrates, I'd hightail it right back to Atkins!

I'm going to have to figure this out. Right now I just feel kind of low about it and don't feel motivated to make anything good, so I am not eating enough. I really just want my butter and cream.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made ceasar dressing w the usual stuff...no cheese. I just googled for a recipe and picked the one that sounded good.
It's olive oil, anchovies, egg, lemon, and pepper. I used an immersion blender. It's perfect. Really, it could be used as mayo since, except for the anchovies, that's what it is.

mm, if the fat is the only deal breaker, then make some ghee. But it sounds like there's more to it than that.

Your frustration w your weight is probably the exact reason that you are not supposed to get on the scale for the month.

Last edited by jem51; 04-11-2011 at 11:17 AM..
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Very true! I will stop weighing. I didn't weigh all weekend, so I thought I'd just weigh once, today. I'm on day 3.

Ghee is definitely an option. I should look into making my own.

Your dressing sounds awesome. Also, you added omega 3's with the anchovies!

I realized I had a can of full-fat coconut milk in the cabinet. So for lunch: Chicken tenders wrapped in lettuce with mustard, and coffee with 1/4 cup coconut milk and stevia.

It wasn't bad in coffee. It doesn't compare to dairy, but I will say it wasn't bad.

Dinner will be hamburger soup with vegetables, I have some rich beef stock from the freezer, that I made up last week. I think dinner will be satisfying.

Last edited by moonmirror; 04-11-2011 at 11:20 AM..
Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

mm, are avacados okay for you? You can make spreads/dsgs w them.

There's also tahini for sauces and such. I make hummus w zucchini, tahini, garlic and lemon....good stuff.
Or do they stimulate allergy? I know they may be processed in the same machinery.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, I have no problems with avocados! I'm waiting until we go food shopping again to buy them, but I'm seriously looking forward to it. I think adding them will help a lot with satisfaction.

I don't know about tahini. Its strange...its just during allergy season, there seems to be this overload effect with both the pollens outside and common food allergens; added together its just too much.

It sounds like a great dressing, though!

If I can keep this up, I'll also enjoy my beautiful garden tomatoes this summer, plus some summer fruits.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessreadytolose
Stats: 168/162/135
WOE: Gluten Free/Clean eating
Start Date: JUDDD 1/2/13
I am not sure I will follow this to the letter, I will sure try though.
I am planning to replace butter with ghee, use coconut oil and EVOO, cut dairy almost completely, maybe save it for a treat for the weekend, like only cream in my iced coffee from Dunkin' donuts. I have actually already given up coffee during the weekdays.
jessreadytolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lilly29
Hi guys!

I'm so happy to come back after the weekend and see so much interest in Paleo! And that some are also following the Whole 30. Personally, I have decided to follow it to the letter for the first 30 days to really give it a shot to work its magic, break the cravings, etc, but I don't hold it against anyone not wishing to be so strict.

Food doesn't have to be bland either! I'm finding spices are my friend!

Here's what I ate this weekend. Saturday was Whole 30 day 1 for me.

B: Smoothie with 2/3 cup coconut milk (full fat), 1/2 avocado, and some water to thin it out. This was admittedly rather bland, but didn't taste bad and the texture was really nice. With no water and a little cocoa powder added, this would make a nice pudding.

L: A lot of spinach sauteed in olive oil, some turkey, maybe 5 or 6 ounces?

D: And listen when I tell you, this was DELICIOUS!!!! Beef tri-tip curry and the other 1/2 avocado. I'll post the "recipe" at the end of my post.

Sunday:

Brunch: Omelet cooked in olive oil. 3 eggs, sauteed spinach, and a few ounces of turkey.

Dinner: Zucchini roasted in coconut oil (it was good!) and 1/2 grilled ribeye.

Snack: 1 small apple. I have some mental reprogramming to do that this wasn't "naughty" or a "cheat." Though I am looking to keep my carbs closer to Atkins level, I didn't experience any blood sugar swings and I'm not feeling any cravings. So I'm saying the occasional piece of fruit is okay for me.

Again, I'm so happy to see so many people interested in Paleo! Has everyone realized yet how many really thoughtful and well-researched blogs and websites there are out there about Paleo? It's awesome.

I'm not weighing myself for the full 30 days. Oh my gosh, it's so hard! But my pants are definitely looser, my face looks less puffy, and interestingly enough, my face also looks a lot less red. So, trying to stay motivated by that and by how I feel, but I really want to weigh myself.

Here's how I made the tri-tip curry. An upscale specialty market near me sells cooked (on the rarer side of medium rare) tri tip. I got 1/2 pound sliced VERY thin, like very thin lunch meat. I sauteed it in coconut oil for a few minutes, drained off the excess fat (there was still PLENTY of fat on the meat, and a fair amount coating the pan) and added in a curry spice blend and some coconut milk. It really was amazingly flavorful, and tasted so decadent!
lilly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugardemon
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: Restart: April 2011
Day 1

Hello everybody! Feels good today. Body just feels lighter from one day of clean eating.

Menu:
B: 3 scrambled eggs with olive oil and ham.
S: Iced black coffee (ice seems to help with lack of cream!)
L: Ground turkey sauteed with coleslaw mix and liberal olive oil. =P
D: *same as lunch*

I'm getting a slight headache already.. must be the ketosis hitting. I need to drink more water.
Sugardemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly29 View Post
Here's how I made the tri-tip curry. An upscale specialty market near me sells cooked (on the rarer side of medium rare) tri tip. I got 1/2 pound sliced VERY thin, like very thin lunch meat. I sauteed it in coconut oil for a few minutes, drained off the excess fat (there was still PLENTY of fat on the meat, and a fair amount coating the pan) and added in a curry spice blend and some coconut milk. It really was amazingly flavorful, and tasted so decadent!
That sounds very good! Thank you for sharing your recipe - I will have to try it out.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhinbrisvegas View Post
That sounds very good! Thank you for sharing your recipe - I will have to try it out.
It does sound great, I am not a beef eater, but I think I will try it with chicken breast or thighs...Yum! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Sugardemon, isn't it amazing what just a single day can do as far as making you feel good? And I don't think it's purely psychological - when we give our body foods that truly nourish it and don't inflame it, it doesn't take very long to feel well!

June and Jess - thanks, it was great! I'm excited to try it with chicken, too!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

I think I'm probably still going to weigh. I know. Silly. But I don't see how it will derail me, since I can't really switch plans. I'm having too much trouble with grains/dairy/artificial stuff, I have digestive issues with beans and oatmeal, sugar is out of the question and I don't drink, so paleo is what I see as my only option to detox myself in a good healthy way. Its basically the only plan that has all the foods I can eat!

By the way: I ate a banana for a snack this afternoon, and it was just about the best tasting thing I've had in weeks. Oh, and no "cravings." Just a banana. No big deal!

I think I might put a few sweet potato cubes in the soup tonight, too.

If my measurements show I'm not losing, then I suppose I'll work out more. I figure the point of paleo is to improve sleep and feel better physically, so that exercise gets easier and more enjoyable.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was in the grocery store today and almost automatically headed for the dark chocolate. Really mindlessly. Had to remind myself but it was not a big deal...nothing that I had to have.

I think the thing I really missed was that small glass on red wine.

Most shocking to me is that I didn't miss the coffee and feel better w/o it. No withdrawls since my chai was made w caffinated tea.
I only drink one latte in the morning most days, occ a second in the afternoon but I never wanted to give it up even though there were times when it didn't feel so healthy. I was determined to keep it.
Who knows, I may be over it.

I was hungrier than expected so ended up eating the soup earlier then has some leftover salmon and ceasar salad (sans cheese n croutons) for lunch.

Pre dinner I had a carrot and some red bell pepper dipped in zucch humus.
Dinner as planned.

Here's a great site; theclothesmakethegirl.blogspot.com (I think). Plenty of recipes and I think she completed this challenge.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Moonmirror, I think weighing is such an individual thing. I imagine that they give the no-weighing instruction so people don't say "ugh this isn't working!" without really giving it a chance. Sounds like your head is firmly in the game and committed. If you decide to weigh, please let us know how you're doing!

jem - isn't that funny? I did that today when I went to pick up some breath mints, and then remembered "no sweeteners." Glad I caught myself and remembered! Thanks for the site referral, I'm gonna check it out now!

It was another two-meal day for me, my days off tend to be that way.

Brunch: Previously mentioned tri-tip curry, 1/2 sliced up cucumber
Dinner: avocado and the leftover steak, not very much, about 2 or 3 ounces, 1/2 sliced up cucumber.

Oh my, am I enjoying rediscovering avocados! I know they're legal on Atkins, they just seemed to fall off my radar for a few years. Delicious, healthy, and crazy filling!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:01 AM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I would like to join in please I follow a gluten free diet and I'm cutting out dairy starting today. I need to go to the grocery store for more veggies and stuff, so I may actually start tomorrow or Thursday but am gonna eat as clean as I can until I get there. I will have to have the occasional coke zero too like someone said but for the most part I'm gonna do my best to stay on plan, even drink my coffee black

Last edited by Star73; 04-12-2011 at 05:06 AM..
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Happy today! Down 2 pounds. Broke a week-long stall.

Last night's dinner: homemade beef stock, hamburger, can of tomatoes, onion, carrot, celery, sweet potatoes = amazing, thick, hearty, savory-slightly sweet soup.

I think I ate two cups of it!

Enjoying my afternoon piece of fruit. Getting used to coconut milk in coffee. Really getting in this paleo groove on day 4.

I'll still be tracking weight, even if it goes up. Its just instructive to me and I like to know what works and what doesn't. Like I said, I really have no option of quitting, changing the diet would probably mean going to 80/20 for variety, not changing my eating.

I'm also very interested in doing more workouts than the light cardio I'm doing, I'm encouraged that I'm getting more carbs than usual and think this will help fuel workouts. Thinking about P90X or something intense like that!

Keep on keeping on, paleo peeps
Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

moon ~ Congrats on the weight loss!

Day 2:

B: 2 eggs cooked in macadamia nut oil, sausage (no nitrates/fillers/etc), coffee w/coconut milk

L: ? undecided

D: homemade chili with all paleo legal ingredients

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know if it's a fluke, but I slept well last night.

I had coconut milk whizzed w frozen blueberries last night, maybe that helped. Although it was a bit bland w no stevia, I am determined to follow the rules....otherwise I think I will slip back to too much dairy, chocolate, etc.

I was planning a meat marinara over steamed cabbage tonight but my jar of TJ's organic has soy oil in it. I'll have to make my own but don't know if I will today.

Otherwise I'll make a burger/cabbage stirfry. This is one of my stardards but I add a little sesame oil and soy sauce for asian flavor. Of course, those are out but I'll use CO and just salt...I always use fresh ginger and garlic so will still maintain that aroma.

I don't know about lunch but have been considering that tuna salad from the site I mentioned above. I am also good w the homemade oo mayo. I use lots of lemon which may reduce the strong taste of the oil....could use light oo but I like EVOO, so no problem.
Also the mix of EVOO and CO in mayo seems to be popular. I use a jar and stick blender so no clean up to speak of.

I would like to try a smoothie; coconut milk, avo, banana.....Don't know if the avos are ripe enough but would like to keep it so less dessert like. I also still have blackberries from last summer in the freezer.

mm, so happy you're feeling better about this.

lilly, thanks for starting this, I've been playing w the idea since the beginning of the year...just needed a little nudge.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

I'm sleeping better, too. Less pain. I think paleo gets rid of a lot of inflammatory substances.

Interesting what you say about the mayo tasting strong. Have you tried commercial varieties of oo mayo?

I like a good burger/cabbage stir-fry. Could you use a bit of fish sauce, and plenty of spices? Seems fish sauce should be paleo-friendly.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry for posting so much...but I wanted to say that I made ghee this morning and it was really easy! I had three scrambled eggs with salt, pepper and ghee.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jem.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

star,
try coconut milk and stevia in your coffee, its really not bad.

Unless you want to follow the challenge exactly and do no sweeteners. The stevia and the daily weighing are the only things I'm doing off the whole30 challenge.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Moon, Congrats on the weight loss, I will stick with weekly weigh-ins still, can't stay away from the scale!!!
It was day 2 with no coffee, I didn't want to drink it black. I am going to try the canned unsweetened coconut milk tomorrow, I really miss my coffee!! I will use Stevia ONLY if I can't handle it without sweetener.

B- 2 eggs, 2 slices bacon, cup of spinach

L- Avacado, bacon, coconut oil mayo, turkey over romaine

D- Paleo-fied meatloaf, (is almond flour ok???), salad with EVOO and lemon juice
Old 04-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Does anyone have a tried and true coconut oil mayo recipe? Mine tasted too much like lemon, and was hard as a rock in the refridgerator! I threw out the Hellman's due to the soybean oil, I need an alternative, I really enjoy mayo.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugardemon
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: Restart: April 2011
Day 2

Feels great! Thanks lilly29 for setting up this Challenge. It's so awesome for motivation. My hunger is practically non-existent and I can tell I'm in ketosis, which is attributed directly to the clean Paleo eating!

I went to Whole Foods today to get some groceries and I picked up organic meats and vegies and a gem of a coconut product. It's by Nutiva and it's called Coconut Manna. It's coconut meat and oil in a jar and it's delicious! You can literally eat it with a spoon. Now if I could use a sweetener it would be the best dessert... but since I'm NOT, it's still good alone. My taste buds will change... soon I hope!

B: 3 scrambled eggs and coffee (I caved and used 2 splenda!)
L: 2 lambchops and broccoli with olive oil
S: Iced coffee (black!)
D: Turkey with cabbage.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Star, welcome! I made a good grocery trip before starting too, and it has been helpful to have plenty of good, fresh, legal foods on hand. Be sure to let us know when day 1 is!

Moonmirror - congrats on your your loss and breaking the stall! Your soup sounds really delicious, when I'm brave enough to try sweet potatoes, I'm definitely going to try making it. And goodness, don't worry about posting too much! I'm just thrilled there are some of us here so excited to begin our paleo journeys!

Jem - I'm totally with you on the rules. I seem to just do so much better food-wise when it's black and white. I was maintaining just fine for so long on Atkins when a few little bits here and there led big bits not so infrequently and here I am. I believe our taste buds really will adjust. I remember doing zero carb for two weeks before an event about a year ago. At the end of the two weeks, I ate a bowl of fruit salad and honestly it was sweeter tasting than any candy bar I'd ever had. (And then being totally off low carb for a week after that! For me, a zero carb quick fix was a bad idea!!)

Jess - I hope you didn't get a headache being off coffee for two days! If you like coconut, I think you'll enjoy it in your coffee. I DO love coconut, and so using coconut milk in my iced tea and in a smoothie I made tonight feels so decadent! I find it much creamier than even heavy cream. Almond flour is considered paleo. I don't believe it's part of the Whole30 protocol, but if it works in YOUR protocol and helps you stay on plan, I would imagine as long as you don't go overboard with it, it's fine. I think there's a difference too between baking "paleo" cookies with a whole lot of almond flour and using some to bind together a meatloaf

Sugardemon - great job making it through day two! I, too, am feeling ketosis kicking in and it feels GREAT! I had forgotten how much better I feel when my blood sugar is under control and my appetite has been tamed. Go figure. I'm definitely going to look for the Coconut Manna! Thanks for the suggestion!

I hope I didn't miss anyone.

Today was good. I had to go 7 hours between breakfast and lunch because I was had client after client with no break, and though I was DEFINITELY ready to eat when I finally got the chance, my blood sugar was steady and I didn't have to fight they crazy hunger demon like when I'm carbed out.

B: 1/2 avocado, iced tea with 2/3 cup coconut milk, 1.5 ounce of nuts
L: 1/2 avocado, a whole lot of cucumber salad, and 2 hard-boiled eggs
D: 8 ounces (raw) ground beef sauteed in coconut oil with garlic, ginger, shallots, and a splash of coconut milk at the end.
Current snack I'm sipping on: smoothie with 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup coconut milk, and 1/2 water. Delicious!

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had an egg and 2 slices legal ham for breakfast then had to work so missed out on lunch but carried some raw vegies and zucch hummus.

The cabbage stir fry was yum and I didn't miss the soy sauce and sesame oil at all.

I haven't checked BG because it always seems to take a day or two to settle w any change. I'd be more inclined if I'd eaten potatoes.
I'll check it tomorrow.

Doing great w/o coffee...what a surprise!!

Hoping for good sleep.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

How do you make the zucchini hummus???
Old 04-13-2011, 03:02 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Good morning ladies!

Yes...Thanks so much lilly29 (is your name Lily? My oldest DD 7 years old is a Lily, great name!!!) for starting this challenge! It's just the motivation I need right now to get serious after losing and gaining the same 7-8 lbs for almost a year now!!

I am enjoying a coffee with coconut milk right now, YUM!!!

Today's menu:
B- 2 eggs, 2 bacon, 1 coffee

L- Chicken wings, need to figure out how to spice them up,( Frank's sauce has canola in it???? )

D- Roast chicken and Roasted zucchini, salad with EVOO and lemon juice