Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rqw1968
Stats: 199 lbs/143.1 lbs/128 lbs (5' 6.5") Age: 44
WOE: Typically VLC, On hCG SubQ R1P2 since 10/4/2012
Start Date: January '09 (Restart: 7/15/2012)
Atkins vs Paleo ...

Thoughts ?

I've been "stuck" since the first of the year. I've now cut dairy (even HWC !) this week and have been advised by another LC-er that Paleo worked wonders for her.

Anyone else here gone from Atkins (or general LC-ing) to Paleo ?
rqw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
not sure. But wondering do you watch calories.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
IDT
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: IDT
Stats: 152/139/125 5'6"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Atkins 2004
paleo is kind of like Atkins but with more carbs and no dairy. It didn't work for me.
IDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbPanda86
Stats: 291/221.4/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 12, 2010 restart January 13, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
not sure. But wondering do you watch calories.
Seconding with regards to watching calories, I have been semi stuck for 2 weeks and am not planning on counting but may start to keep an eye on how much I am eating. In my case tho I highly suspect lean muscle gain. Are you working out? Any resistance training? Scale may not be moving but are you losing inches? Also can we see a menu? That may help us provide a better answer to you. If it's of any consellation I have not eaten any cheese () since the beginning of the month and plan on *trying* to eliminate it. I have a sneaking suspicion I won't be able to do it tho

STAY STRONG OR STAY FAT!

To be a healthier, happier, HOTTER Panda!!!!!AND STAY THAT WAY!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/waWTpVq/weight.png
LowCarbPanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I'm not counting calories, but I do know I am well below 2000 calories per day. I am still around 20g net carbs per day. My activity level is low, so I know I need to increase that. My dairy (including HWC) is being cut. When I have alcohol, it's usually in the form of Michelob Ultra.

I need to cut that out and see what happens before I change my diet. Was silly and expecting a "quick fix" I guess. :sigh: Y'all know how it goes. I should know by now that there ARE no "quick fixes". :\
Vanity Goal: 128 lbs and Ready for Bikini Weather next summer
Old 03-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ddailey320
Stats: depressed/progressing/HAPPY
Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution is a great read! I do believe there is something to the premise of eating like our ancestors including the types of food we eat as well as timing of meals (he also advocates IFing). I like the wholefood/natural approach, although you also see a lot of atkins followers eating in a similar fashion.
ddailey320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lizzy K
Stats: -11
WOE: Ditched Atkins for Paleo. NEVER turning back.
Start Date: May 12
You know, just another suggestion...For your height (which is mine as well ) you are actually within a "healthy" range. Is it possible that 129 is too low of a goal for you? Where did that come from? Have you been that weight and when? How is your frame size? Is it possible that you just need to add in some more exercise and tone up to fix some areas you aren't happy with?

On the bright side...you have maintained that weight for a few months. Maybe your body is close to happy with where it is right now?

Last edited by Lizzy K; 03-06-2011 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: duh. didnt read the post well.
Lizzy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Subscribing.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
When I was thinner and in control, I did Neanderthin for a while. But I didn't do the fruit or berry part. I lived on meat, water and tons of oil. Oh, also avocados. I lost like crazy but I think it was more for the zero carb, high fat part instead of the removal of processed food. I can say I ate a LOT and lost 10 pounds in a week. That part was good, but I wasn't discliplined enough and gained it back...going onto gaining all my weight back after a bad relationship.

I think it has a lot of potential as long as you don't use it as a "free fruit" following. Stay away from sweets and you should be ok.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy K View Post
You know, just another suggestion...For your height (which is mine as well ) you are actually within a "healthy" range. Is it possible that 129 is too low of a goal for you? Where did that come from? Have you been that weight and when? How is your frame size? Is it possible that you just need to add in some more exercise and tone up to fix some areas you aren't happy with?

On the bright side...you have maintained that weight for a few months. Maybe your body is close to happy with where it is right now?
Agreeing. What pants size is your goal?

Also, I would drop the beer instead of the dairy.
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweet irony
Stats: 335/290/160 --5'8˝"
WOE: <50g carbs a day/grain free
Start Date: August '10
I just finished Robb Wolf's book. I've totally cut out all grains and 98% legumes, but haven't yet given up dairy. I'm still doing the same LCing I was doing before reading about paleo and I try to focus on recipes from paleo websites instead of just lc ones. I'm very unsure about my ability to permanently stick this out if I try to live without cheese and HWC and greek yogurt. We'll see, maybe someday.
sweet irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Were you this weight for an extended period of time in the past?

Someone mentioned in another thread that you can get "stuck" at weights that you stayed at on the way up. I was stuck at 160 for 4 months solid. I kept lowering my carbs (to less than 10 g/day) and it didn't do anything except make me feel kind of weak. After that suggestion, I realized that I was at 160 for MANY years of my life - so that might have been the answer. I started upping the carbs again to what was working before and upped my water intake. It started to trickle off again - but much more slowly than before.

I hope you figure it out - I'd like to think I can get below 23 BMI too ;-)

Deanne
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Yes. I was "stuck" at this weight for several months. My "normal" weight in high school was around 110 - 115 lbs. WAY too low since I now have boobs and hips. LOL In my 20's, I was around 125 lbs. That was a good weight for me. I doubt I'll see that number again. 129 lbs is doable. I just need to cut the beer, get rid of the cheese, and get off my butt. Other than adding fruit, it sounds like Paleo is close to what I've been doing.

Again, I think I originally posted this out of frustration, looking for a solution that would keep me from cutting the things I really didn't want to cut. I should know better by now.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillyme
Stats: 328/174.2/150
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 now hHCG
Start Date: Jan 2/07- restart Sept 2010
I am the same height as you also - just to let you know I would love to be where you are right now!! I know though its not where you want to be so best of luck to you and hope you figure out what is right for you.
sillyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IslandAnne
WOE: Modified LC.
It's interesting, being the same height can mean so many weights, that look good on different people.

OP, I'm pretty much the same height, and the tail end of HS we had the same weights too. I have little elbows and wrists etc.... So the extra weight I gained was super visible on me. My proportions looked wacked out at 140! :blush: Sticking to a clean LC plan, I did have the initail big loss, but as I got closer to my bodies ideal the losses were much slower.... over months I would notice positive small changes in physique etc.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Try doing a Whole 30 challenge....30 days strict paleo.
You can repeat it as desired but it'll jump start your losses again.
Google.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
I have been following a diet that is closer to a Paleo plan for about a year now. Not lost anymore weight because of it though. However, I do still eat cheese...I like to imagine our Ancestors knew how to make cheese.
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ddailey320
Stats: depressed/progressing/HAPPY
Quote:
Originally Posted by batlou View Post
I have been following a diet that is closer to a Paleo plan for about a year now. Not lost anymore weight because of it though. However, I do still eat cheese...I like to imagine our Ancestors knew how to make cheese.
I'd like to think they also had some Breyer's carbsmart icecream and natty PB - I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt!
ddailey320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddailey320 View Post
I'd like to think they also had some Breyer's carbsmart icecream and natty PB - I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt!
Hah, I bought some of that once. Mint Chocolate Chip, I won't make that mistake again. I have been able to switch from PB to Almond and also Sunflower butter though.

BTW...Nice guns!
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
I did Atkins for a while and I got stuck too. For me I think getting closer to goal meant I had to change my plan. What I've done is up my carbs (100 grams), lower the fat a bit and count calories. You know put more balance in what I eat. I'm doing the Zone now which is basically a balanced whole foods, lowER carb, lowER fat plan. I can have cheese on this plan just not as much. I've known for a while that my body loses weight faster if I up the carbs. I've never been able to go below 50 grams. And it's sooooo wonderful to have fruit again. Oh how I missed fruit. My carbs come from fruits and veggies now.

The other reason I had to switch was because I was having hormone issues relating to premenopause. This is the type of diet that is recommended for people like me.

Oh and hi! I'm in North Mississippi too!
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
I combine the two based on my mood/menu. I love paleo and I don't miss my cheese much. I do however still use HWC in my coffee which I also haven't nor plan on giving up.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandAnne View Post
It's interesting, being the same height can mean so many weights, that look good on different people.

OP, I'm pretty much the same height, and the tail end of HS we had the same weights too. I have little elbows and wrists etc.... So the extra weight I gained was super visible on me. My proportions looked wacked out at 140! :blush: Sticking to a clean LC plan, I did have the initail big loss, but as I got closer to my bodies ideal the losses were much slower.... over months I would notice positive small changes in physique etc.
Yep. Exactly. I looked great at 125 lbs. At 130 lbs, you can really tell I need to lose a few. Getting over 135 lbs goofs up my proportions as well. TEENIE TINY wrists and ankles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddailey320 View Post
@ batlou and ddailey !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenann33 View Post
I did Atkins for a while and I got stuck too. For me I think getting closer to goal meant I had to change my plan. What I've done is up my carbs (100 grams), lower the fat a bit and count calories. You know put more balance in what I eat. I'm doing the Zone now which is basically a balanced whole foods, lowER carb, lowER fat plan. I can have cheese on this plan just not as much. I've known for a while that my body loses weight faster if I up the carbs. I've never been able to go below 50 grams. And it's sooooo wonderful to have fruit again. Oh how I missed fruit. My carbs come from fruits and veggies now.

The other reason I had to switch was because I was having hormone issues relating to premenopause. This is the type of diet that is recommended for people like me.

Oh and hi! I'm in North Mississippi too!
Hmmmm ... Definitely some things I need to consider if exercising won't work. Already started with the heavy-duty cleaning. I'm adding Zumba to that as well. Depending on how I feel after work (icky tummy trouble earlier), I may start tonight.

Hi, neighbor ? What part of N. Mississippi are you located ? (Can inbox that one, if you like. Or not. LOL Totally understand if you'd rather not.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
I combine the two based on my mood/menu. I love paleo and I don't miss my cheese much. I do however still use HWC in my coffee which I also haven't nor plan on giving up.
Hmmmm ... Combining the two. Might be a good idea for me. Dunno about the fruit though. I reeeeeally don't want to give up cheese. I've cut back on the HWC and do it one day, butter the next. The losses started slowing down when I introduced HWC. Stopped completely two months ago when I had to drop Stevia (allergic) and use granulated Splenda that I'd had on-hand before discovering EZ-Sweetz. (I'd run out of EZ-Sweetz and didn't have any more on order.) The losses never started again. But, I have been sick off and on a lot since Christmas, so there's that. Exercise slowed way down too because of feeling so bad. Lots of factors, with the biggest being I'm not putting forth enough effort.

Last edited by rqw1968; 03-07-2011 at 07:13 PM..