Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Atkins vs Paleo ... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/712477-atkins-vs-paleo.html)

rqw1968 03-05-2011 07:41 PM

Atkins vs Paleo ...
 
Thoughts ?

I've been "stuck" since the first of the year. I've now cut dairy (even HWC !) this week and have been advised by another LC-er that Paleo worked wonders for her.

Anyone else here gone from Atkins (or general LC-ing) to Paleo ?

dasiey 03-05-2011 07:55 PM

not sure. But wondering do you watch calories.

IDT 03-05-2011 08:08 PM

paleo is kind of like Atkins but with more carbs and no dairy. It didn't work for me.

LowCarbPanda86 03-05-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasiey (Post 14440767)
not sure. But wondering do you watch calories.

Seconding with regards to watching calories, I have been semi stuck for 2 weeks and am not planning on counting but may start to keep an eye on how much I am eating. In my case tho I highly suspect lean muscle gain. Are you working out? Any resistance training? Scale may not be moving but are you losing inches? Also can we see a menu? That may help us provide a better answer to you. If it's of any consellation I have not eaten any cheese (:cry:) since the beginning of the month and plan on *trying* to eliminate it. I have a sneaking suspicion I won't be able to do it tho :p

rqw1968 03-05-2011 08:29 PM

I'm not counting calories, but I do know I am well below 2000 calories per day. I am still around 20g net carbs per day. My activity level is low, so I know I need to increase that. My dairy (including HWC) is being cut. When I have alcohol, it's usually in the form of Michelob Ultra.

I need to cut that out and see what happens before I change my diet. Was silly and expecting a "quick fix" I guess. :sigh: Y'all know how it goes. :( I should know by now that there ARE no "quick fixes". :\

ddailey320 03-05-2011 08:33 PM

Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution is a great read! I do believe there is something to the premise of eating like our ancestors including the types of food we eat as well as timing of meals (he also advocates IFing). I like the wholefood/natural approach, although you also see a lot of atkins followers eating in a similar fashion.

Lizzy K 03-06-2011 05:33 AM

You know, just another suggestion...For your height (which is mine as well :) ) you are actually within a "healthy" range. Is it possible that 129 is too low of a goal for you? Where did that come from? Have you been that weight and when? How is your frame size? Is it possible that you just need to add in some more exercise and tone up to fix some areas you aren't happy with?

On the bright side...you have maintained that weight for a few months. Maybe your body is close to happy with where it is right now?

clackley 03-06-2011 05:41 AM

Subscribing.

Gweebles 03-06-2011 07:56 AM

When I was thinner and in control, I did Neanderthin for a while. But I didn't do the fruit or berry part. I lived on meat, water and tons of oil. Oh, also avocados. I lost like crazy but I think it was more for the zero carb, high fat part instead of the removal of processed food. I can say I ate a LOT and lost 10 pounds in a week. That part was good, but I wasn't discliplined enough and gained it back...going onto gaining all my weight back after a bad relationship.

I think it has a lot of potential as long as you don't use it as a "free fruit" following. Stay away from sweets and you should be ok.

Beezer Louisiana 03-06-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzy K (Post 14441234)
You know, just another suggestion...For your height (which is mine as well :) ) you are actually within a "healthy" range. Is it possible that 129 is too low of a goal for you? Where did that come from? Have you been that weight and when? How is your frame size? Is it possible that you just need to add in some more exercise and tone up to fix some areas you aren't happy with?

On the bright side...you have maintained that weight for a few months. Maybe your body is close to happy with where it is right now?

Agreeing. What pants size is your goal?

Also, I would drop the beer instead of the dairy.

sweet irony 03-06-2011 07:58 PM

I just finished Robb Wolf's book. I've totally cut out all grains and 98% legumes, but haven't yet given up dairy. I'm still doing the same LCing I was doing before reading about paleo and I try to focus on recipes from paleo websites instead of just lc ones. I'm very unsure about my ability to permanently stick this out if I try to live without cheese and HWC and greek yogurt. We'll see, maybe someday.

hockey_gal 03-06-2011 08:14 PM

Were you this weight for an extended period of time in the past?

Someone mentioned in another thread that you can get "stuck" at weights that you stayed at on the way up. I was stuck at 160 for 4 months solid. I kept lowering my carbs (to less than 10 g/day) and it didn't do anything except make me feel kind of weak. After that suggestion, I realized that I was at 160 for MANY years of my life - so that might have been the answer. I started upping the carbs again to what was working before and upped my water intake. It started to trickle off again - but much more slowly than before.

I hope you figure it out - I'd like to think I can get below 23 BMI too ;-)

Deanne

rqw1968 03-07-2011 06:35 AM

Yes. I was "stuck" at this weight for several months. My "normal" weight in high school was around 110 - 115 lbs. WAY too low since I now have boobs and hips. LOL In my 20's, I was around 125 lbs. That was a good weight for me. I doubt I'll see that number again. 129 lbs is doable. I just need to cut the beer, get rid of the cheese, and get off my butt. Other than adding fruit, it sounds like Paleo is close to what I've been doing.

Again, I think I originally posted this out of frustration, looking for a solution that would keep me from cutting the things I really didn't want to cut. I should know better by now. :(

Thanks, everyone. :hugs:

sillyme 03-07-2011 06:53 AM

I am the same height as you also - just to let you know I would love to be where you are right now!! I know though its not where you want to be so best of luck to you and hope you figure out what is right for you.

IslandAnne 03-07-2011 07:26 AM

It's interesting, being the same height can mean so many weights, that look good on different people.

OP, I'm pretty much the same height, and the tail end of HS we had the same weights too. I have little elbows and wrists etc.... So the extra weight I gained was super visible on me. My proportions looked wacked out at 140! :blush: Sticking to a clean LC plan, I did have the initail big loss, but as I got closer to my bodies ideal the losses were much slower.... over months I would notice positive small changes in physique etc.

jem51 03-07-2011 07:48 AM

Try doing a Whole 30 challenge....30 days strict paleo.
You can repeat it as desired but it'll jump start your losses again.
Google.

batlou 03-07-2011 08:02 AM

I have been following a diet that is closer to a Paleo plan for about a year now. Not lost anymore weight because of it though. However, I do still eat cheese...I like to imagine our Ancestors knew how to make cheese. ;)

ddailey320 03-07-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batlou (Post 14445291)
I have been following a diet that is closer to a Paleo plan for about a year now. Not lost anymore weight because of it though. However, I do still eat cheese...I like to imagine our Ancestors knew how to make cheese. ;)

I'd like to think they also had some Breyer's carbsmart icecream and natty PB - I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt! :rofl:

batlou 03-07-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddailey320 (Post 14445770)
I'd like to think they also had some Breyer's carbsmart icecream and natty PB - I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt! :rofl:

Hah, I bought some of that once. Mint Chocolate Chip, I won't make that mistake again. I have been able to switch from PB to Almond and also Sunflower butter though.

BTW...Nice guns!

karenann33 03-07-2011 10:12 AM

I did Atkins for a while and I got stuck too. For me I think getting closer to goal meant I had to change my plan. What I've done is up my carbs (100 grams), lower the fat a bit and count calories. You know put more balance in what I eat. I'm doing the Zone now which is basically a balanced whole foods, lowER carb, lowER fat plan. I can have cheese on this plan just not as much. I've known for a while that my body loses weight faster if I up the carbs. I've never been able to go below 50 grams. And it's sooooo wonderful to have fruit again. Oh how I missed fruit. My carbs come from fruits and veggies now.

The other reason I had to switch was because I was having hormone issues relating to premenopause. This is the type of diet that is recommended for people like me.

Oh and hi! I'm in North Mississippi too!

fawn 03-07-2011 10:30 AM

I combine the two based on my mood/menu. I love paleo and I don't miss my cheese much. I do however still use HWC in my coffee which I also haven't nor plan on giving up.

rqw1968 03-07-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandAnne (Post 14445125)
It's interesting, being the same height can mean so many weights, that look good on different people.

OP, I'm pretty much the same height, and the tail end of HS we had the same weights too. I have little elbows and wrists etc.... So the extra weight I gained was super visible on me. My proportions looked wacked out at 140! :blush: Sticking to a clean LC plan, I did have the initail big loss, but as I got closer to my bodies ideal the losses were much slower.... over months I would notice positive small changes in physique etc.

Yep. Exactly. I looked great at 125 lbs. At 130 lbs, you can really tell I need to lose a few. Getting over 135 lbs goofs up my proportions as well. TEENIE TINY wrists and ankles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by batlou (Post 14445291)
I have been following a diet that is closer to a Paleo plan for about a year now. Not lost anymore weight because of it though. However, I do still eat cheese...I like to imagine our Ancestors knew how to make cheese. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddailey320 (Post 14445770)
I'd like to think they also had some Breyer's carbsmart icecream and natty PB - I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt! :rofl:

:rofl: @ batlou and ddailey !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by karenann33 (Post 14445881)
I did Atkins for a while and I got stuck too. For me I think getting closer to goal meant I had to change my plan. What I've done is up my carbs (100 grams), lower the fat a bit and count calories. You know put more balance in what I eat. I'm doing the Zone now which is basically a balanced whole foods, lowER carb, lowER fat plan. I can have cheese on this plan just not as much. I've known for a while that my body loses weight faster if I up the carbs. I've never been able to go below 50 grams. And it's sooooo wonderful to have fruit again. Oh how I missed fruit. My carbs come from fruits and veggies now.

The other reason I had to switch was because I was having hormone issues relating to premenopause. This is the type of diet that is recommended for people like me.

Oh and hi! I'm in North Mississippi too!

Hmmmm ... Definitely some things I need to consider if exercising won't work. Already started with the heavy-duty cleaning. I'm adding Zumba to that as well. Depending on how I feel after work (icky tummy trouble earlier), I may start tonight.

:hiya: Hi, neighbor ? What part of N. Mississippi are you located ? (Can inbox that one, if you like. Or not. LOL Totally understand if you'd rather not.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawn (Post 14445979)
I combine the two based on my mood/menu. I love paleo and I don't miss my cheese much. I do however still use HWC in my coffee which I also haven't nor plan on giving up.

Hmmmm ... Combining the two. Might be a good idea for me. Dunno about the fruit though. I reeeeeally don't want to give up cheese. I've cut back on the HWC and do it one day, butter the next. The losses started slowing down when I introduced HWC. Stopped completely two months ago when I had to drop Stevia (allergic) and use granulated Splenda that I'd had on-hand before discovering EZ-Sweetz. (I'd run out of EZ-Sweetz and didn't have any more on order.) The losses never started again. But, I have been sick off and on a lot since Christmas, so there's that. Exercise slowed way down too because of feeling so bad. Lots of factors, with the biggest being I'm not putting forth enough effort.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:46 AM.