Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Hey there bent...congratulations on the success thus far.

Something I'd like to say is, you are healing.....You have done a great job normalizing those numbers. It's going to take you some time to continue healing. Supporting your body of course during this process while important can be so very frustrating.

Quote:
and here is the real big question
I have fatty liver, so if my liver doesn't work very well how I am supposed to deal with eating all this fat???
A fatty liver in many cases comes from the consumption of fructose. Interesting, I had a client with a fatty liver who lived on fruit. No HFCS, no alcohol so just when she thought she was doing everything right, her high fruit consumption was affecting her liver which blew her away.

That being said, support your liver with some cleansing. 1/2 lemon in water daily with some milk thistle supplementation will assist in moving that fat out of your liver.

Your IR too is a problem of course and eating more primal/paleo for a bit is a good idea. A diet restricted to meat/veggies and fat (or as close to it as you can get most days) with some exercise to utilize the circulating glucose is a good idea too.

Your sleep as we all know is also uber important in the regeneration of your cells. If one isn't sleeping well, the human growth hormone isn't doing its job either. (exercise also stimulates HGH)

The thyroid, well you know where to find that info here.

I wish you much luck in healing your body
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #32

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
When I started CO, I was warned that it could cause tummy troubles. I started with .5 tsp. and even at that, I had issues. I persevered and can now (a year later) consume it without any problem and up to 2 tbsp. at once. I mention this because it could be true for you as well - you may just have to slowly get used to it?
Cathy, that's quite possible. I may have to to train myself to consume it .....
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #33
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bent_not_broken View Post
Thanks everybody really....
It means alot to have support

so I have a couple of questions as I am trying to go through all this info

Dairy would include eggs, cheese, and heavy whipping cream Right? I feel stupid for asking

Also I try to add alot of fat by adding hwc to my eggs and lots of butter on my stuff, how can I add more fat

and here is the real big question
I have fatty liver, so if my liver doesn't work very well how I am supposed to deal with eating all this fat???
A low carb diet will should actually improve non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Liver Disease and a Low-Carb Diet | eHow.com
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bent_not_broken
Stats: 247/238/190
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2/09/10
Thanks everybody for the information, also about CO, I eat it making my own candy, so that might be a suggestion
bent_not_broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Thanks everybody for the information, also about CO, I eat it making my own candy, so that might be a suggestion
Thanks Lauri, don't forget to come back and let us know how you're doing.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
When I started CO, I was warned that it could cause tummy troubles. I started with .5 tsp. and even at that, I had issues. I persevered and can now (a year later) consume it without any problem and up to 2 tbsp. at once. I mention this because it could be true for you as well - you may just have to slowly get used to it?
Oh, thank you for this suggestion. I think I will try using small amounts to coat the pan for cooking to start and see how she tolerates this.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
WHAT!? How does one do this!? I would love to know!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Coconut Chocolate Truffles

3/4 cup coconut oil (I did this with one cup once but could not stop eating the candy)
1/4 cup whipping cream (I use coconut cream)
1/4 cup butter
3 tbsp Da Vinci® Sugar Free Davinci's Vanilla
1 cup chocolate whey protein
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup powdered erythritol (plus some for topping)
1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut (plus some for topping)

Mix wet ingredients, then add dry, mix well.

Drop pieces onto parchment paper with a spoon, sprinkle with more coconut and powdered erythritol for topping.

You can tweak this to taste, it is very forgiving. It was a chocolate protein bar recipe I found, but I have tweaked it until it turned into candy.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 02-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=Key Tones;14347310]Based on what you posted, and based on Dr. Harris' recommendations (Paleo) for those with a broken metabolism (I cannot advise you, really, I'm not a doctor of course), my thoughts are:

1) protein may be high, fat may be lower than ideal for an insulin resistant type.

I have a question about this #1
after seeing my meals posted could you or anyone else give me some suggestions on maybe how to decrease the protein and add more fat
I know what I read so far about adding more butter, more hwc but I don't understand how to lower protein
could you or any suggest a day of meals going around this idea please, Thank you everybody
Old 02-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was eating two pieces of meatloaf, but now eat a palm-sized portion with a big slab of butter underneath it.

I dip chicken into butter like it is lobster--soak each bite. I eat 1 and 1/2 pieces this way (a thigh and 1/2 a breast of a small to average chicken--not the huge chickens).

I add 1/4 cup coconut cream to almond milk and instant coffee and blend up an ice shake (you can make your own almond milk by soaking almonds, blending them, then straining, if you want).

I scramble egg yolks with butter, yum! (save the whites for later for recipes--like almond muffins).
Old 02-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
I have a recipe for the coconut oil chocolate peanut butter cups on my facebook page that is in my signature
Old 02-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
I was eating two pieces of meatloaf, but now eat a palm-sized portion with a big slab of butter underneath it.

I dip chicken into butter like it is lobster--soak each bite. I eat 1 and 1/2 pieces this way (a thigh and 1/2 a breast of a small to average chicken--not the huge chickens).

I add 1/4 cup coconut cream to almond milk and instant coffee and blend up an ice shake (you can make your own almond milk by soaking almonds, blending them, then straining, if you want).

I scramble egg yolks with butter, yum! (save the whites for later for recipes--like almond muffins).
ok so you mean use smaller portions of my (protein) meat and chicken and add lots of butter to what I do eat

I already drink almond milk is that ok?

Also how do you make your meatloaf
Old 02-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is a high-fat way to handle the egg whites.

This morning, I made 4 egg yolks scrambled in butter (yum!) and saved 4 egg whites.

Just now, I made these, which I thought were going to be muffins, but my daughter took one bite and in pure delight said, "these taste like pancakes!!!" So we put LC syrup on them and had pancakes. Oh my gosh, delicious:

Pancakes! (Or muffins--make egg muffins or something)

4 egg whites
1 cup almond flour
1/3 cup of butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

mix, pour out in circles on a baking sheet (I put mine on parchment paper), bake at 350 for 20 minutes, pancakes!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
ok so you mean use smaller portions of my (protein) meat and chicken and add lots of butter to what I do eat

I already drink almond milk is that ok?

Also how do you make your meatloaf
I calculated protein requirements several times based on different author recommendations, I always circle back to 50-ish grams of protein or so, but I don't actually calculate it on one of those website trackers. A palm-sized serving of meat will do. I eat a lot of calories, as you can guess. I hope to reduce all of this with IF, a few days per week. So far, I am still losing weight, though, slowly.

Almond milk is great!

Meatloaf--I make all kinds. My favorite now:

3 packages of buffalo burger (Durham Ranch is what my grocer carries, hamburger is fine)
1/2 package of guacamole from Costo refrigerated section (maybe 2 avocados with some chopped onion if you make it yourself)
1/4 cup low carb pasta sauce
a couple handfuls of mushrooms (chopped fine if you aren't going to put in cuisinart)
4 eggs

Blend ingredients before adding to meatloaf.

Bake at 375 for one hour, last five minutes, drain if watery and add LC ketchup on top, bake 5 more minutes.

Delicious!

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-06-2011 at 06:27 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup of coconut oil
1 oz unsweetened chocolate
9 splenda packets or equal amount of liquid splenda (ez-sweetz)
1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1/4 cup of peanut butter (I get mine at whole foods, the one you grind yourself)
1 tbsp of heavy whipping cream

Melt your butter, chocolate, and coconut oil in a double boiler (I use an metal bowl and place it in pot of water and bring it to a boil)
while that is melting, I add the rest of my ingredients in a bowl and then when the chocolate mixture is melted, I pour it over the top of my other ingredients and then just mix it altogether with a spoon.
I place 35 mini cupcake papers on a cookie sheet and fill them half way with my recipe, then place them in the freeze till set, then take them out and place in a baggie and keep in the fridge....

I have to warn you ahead of time, these are sooo good they are hard to resist, but with less than a full carb in each one, you should do ok....
Old 02-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I calculated protein requirements several times based on different author recommendations, I always circle back to 50-ish grams of protein or so. A palm-sized serving of meat will do. I eat a lot of calories, as you can guess. I hope to reduce all of this with IF a few days per week.

Almond milk is great!

Meatloaf--I make all kinds. My favorite now:

3 packages of buffalo burger (Durham Ranch is what my grocer carries, hamburger is fine)
1/2 package of guacamole from Costo refrigerated section (maybe 2 avocados with some chopped onion if you make it yourself)
1/4 cup low carb pasta sauce
a couple handfuls of mushrooms (chopped fine if you aren't going to put in cuisinart)
4 eggs

Blend ingredients before adding to meatloaf.

Bake at 375 for one hour, last five minutes, drain if watery and add LC ketchup on top, bake 5 more minutes.

Delicious!
ok sorry to keep bothering you so
if I eat egg and bacon for breakfast
and then
Lamb for lunch
and so other meat for dinner even if I do smaller portions that might be too much protein?????
Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
ok sorry to keep bothering you so
if I eat egg and bacon for breakfast
and then
Lamb for lunch
and so other meat for dinner even if I do smaller portions that might be too much protein?????
I usually eat meat or eggs 2x per day. More on weekends, but trying to change!

Since you are eating it 3x per day, maybe a little smaller than palm-sized meat servings, and buffer it up with some fat.

I'm only guessing, like I said I have insulin resistance and so I target more fat than most people.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #48

Quote:
I usually eat meat or eggs 2x per day. More on weekends, but trying to change!

Since you are eating it 3x per day, maybe a little smaller than palm-sized meat servings, and buffer it up with some fat.

I'm only guessing, like I said I have insulin resistance and so I target more fat than most people.
KT, me too. I too am insulin resistant but my transition away from 3 squares has been going quite well thanks to the extra fat. I'm still reading all of Dr. Harris' blog entries and it was enlightening to see what he eats.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #49

Lauri, you are not bothering anyone . People here welcome the opportunity to help whenever they have an answer. Please ask as many questions as you need help with. There is always someone to stop by and offer assistance.

I personally don't know everything, but if I have encountered an issue you are struggling with, and found an answer to conquer it, I would absolutely love to let you know.

We are here to support each other and it's so great!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
KT, me too. I too am insulin resistant but my transition away from 3 squares has been going quite well thanks to the extra fat. I'm still reading all of Dr. Harris' blog entries and it was enlightening to see what he eats.
Yes, I am still reading through his blog, too! I'm glad it is going well for you!

I got the idea to eat egg yolks scrambled in butter by reading Peter at Hyperlipid--he eats 6 egg yolks for his serving. He eats 90% fat, and I understand he is not overweight, he just chooses to do this!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Lauri, you are not bothering anyone . People here welcome the opportunity to help whenever they have an answer. Please ask as many questions as you need help with. There is always someone to stop by and offer assistance.

I personally don't know everything, but if I have encountered an issue you are struggling with, and found an answer to conquer it, I would absolutely love to let you know.

Oh, yes, I agree! You are not bothering anyone!

Gosh, you can tell I love to talk and talk....
Old 02-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for you kind words...
I wonder how you add more fat to your diet?
Could you give me your typical meal for a day if you wouldn't mind
Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Breakfast: coffee with coconut oil and a cinnamon stick

Meal 1: scrambled egg yolks with Kerrygold butter, a few pistachios (I have no control issues), unsweetened vanilla almond milk, water with 1/2 lemon, maybe a slice of comte cheese

Meal 2: meatloaf with Kerrygold butter, 1 cup spinach salad (or 1/2 cup califlower or 1 cup romaine), a blended ice shake with unsweetened almond milk, coconut cream, instant coffee. If really hungry, I may add a scoop of whey powder, but this is not "paleo" (I have noticed Mark Sisson of Primal Blueprint sells whey powder, though--it can stop you in your tracks from overeating, it is very filling)

snack: decaf coffee with a cinnamon stick and coconut cream (regular cream is fine)

drinks: cinnamon stick in hot water

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-06-2011 at 07:04 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #54
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:

Yes, and by your asking, many (myself - for sure) learn as well!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #55

Quote:
Thanks so much for you kind words...
I wonder how you add more fat to your diet?
Could you give me your typical meal for a day if you wouldn't mind
Lauri, here is what I had today....

B- coffee with HWC
L - a slice of really fatty brisket (I always buy the untrimmed kind)
S - chai tea with HWC
D - smoked brisket, brie cheese, sliced small tomato (I usually avoid cheese, but I decided to treat myself to some because of Superbowl)

As KT was saying, if I eat chicken breast, I dip it in butter .... If I eat fish, I pour melted butter on it ... I know it sounds monotonous, but I can never have enough butter or HWC. Bacon, fatty meats, eggs, chicken thighs with the skin on.... I also use lots of olive oil in everything, being of Mediterranean descent I just can't help it.... I know animal fats are probably better, but the olive oil works for me so far. I fry all veggies in butter or lots of oil....

It has been strange ... the more fat I eat, the smaller quantities I want to eat, the more weight I lose. I used to be so afraid of fat, after many years of LF dieting. I am even considering lard, but don't know if I'll like the taste.

I don't know if KT has already posted this from Dr. Harris' PaNu blog (you may want to go read around it if you have the time, it's very informational). this is what he personally eats.

Quote:
My staples are:

Grass fed beef and lamb, wild venison (whitetail deer), bison. I eat the hearts and livers, don't care for the kidneys. Codfish, wild salmon and trout from lake michigan, sashimi (maguro especially). Wild turkey (the bird not the liquor)

Eggs - pastured eggs averaging 4 a day - often garnished with green or red chili salsa and sour cream. Onions and mushrooms for accompaniment.

Whole cream - in coffee and straight up. Diesel #1.

Pastured butter - I use it to cook everything and add it to stews and chili. Diesel #2.

Bacon, smoked bacon and prosciutto ham maybe once a week. (Penn Jillette says bacon is the perfect food)

Occasional sardines in olive oil or water.

Cheeses - Gorgonzola, parmesan, cheddar, brie, etc.

Veggies mostly as condiments - Red, yellow and white onions, regular and portabella mushrooms, wild morels and chantarelles in season, asparagus, green beans, different varieties of chilis.

Our main fruit is tomatoes eaten whole or crushed in tomato sauce for stew or chili. Lots of avocado with breakfast. A handful of raspberries and occasionally blueberries topped with unsweetened whole whipped cream now and then. Add vanilla to the whipped cream.

The wife eats thin apple slices with cheese on them but I find apples too sweet.
Hope this helps.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps
Old 02-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

In case you are reading as I'm typing, I did make a few edits to my menu as I went.

Please note that it is the coffee or decaf with cream/coconut cream that gets you through the day as well as adds fat. You must have something like this to lean on, I think.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-06-2011 at 07:05 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is another sample day:

B: coffee with cinnamon stick and coconut oil (easy to keep in the desk drawer!),

L: 1/2 avocado, small salad--lettuce from the salad bar with blue cheese and a few nuts (no dressing) and variety of meat offered (chicken and shrimp)

D: chicken dipped in butter (as you would in eating lobster), asparagus broiled in the oven with coconut oil, a few squares of LC coconut oil candy, lemon water.

S: coffee with cinnamon stick and coconut cream.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-06-2011 at 07:16 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #58

Quote:
Here is another sample day:

B: coffee with cinnamon stick and coconut oil (easy to keep in the desk drawer!),

L: 1/2 avocado, small salad--lettuce from the salad bar with blue cheese and a few nuts (no dressing) and variety of meat offered (chicken and shrimp)

D: chicken dipped in butter (as you would in eating lobster), asparagus broiled in the oven with coconut oil, a few squares of coconut oil candy, lemon water.

S: coffee with cinnamon stick and coconut cream.
KT, do you use a regular insulated mug for your coffee? ....I usually take one with me, but run out of coffee early.... we have no coffee machine at work and I can't keep one in my classroom. I'm just wondering if HWC will keep if I took it over in a small container and left it unrefrigerated throughout the day. then made tea and added in ...

Any ideas?

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 02-06-2011 at 07:17 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
KT, do you use a regular insulated mug for your coffee? ....I usually take one with me, but run out of coffee early.... we have no coffee machine at work and I can't keep one in my classroom. I'm just wondering if HWC will keep if I took it over in a small container and left it unrefrigerated throughout the day.

Any ideas?
Oh, we have a kitchen at work.

I think it would be OK. If you are worried about it, maybe you could put the cream in a little jar and wrap it with a dish towel or if you have a foam-lined anything and tuck it in your bag. Then add it to your hot coffee later. You would be surprised how well a dish towel keeps things cold when wrapped well.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/173/120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Oh, you are in for a treat. Search lc "coconut bark" for recipes.

Here's mine:
Melt some Coconut oil (4T), then add unsweetened cocoa powder (2T), artificial sweetener of some kind (1T), and almond butter (1T) (or peanut butter or hazelnut or coconut cream or slightly ground up coffee beans).

Spread on a plate covered with plastic wrap and freeze for a half hour if you can leave it alone that long.

The more of this I eat, the faster the weight loss goes.

Lynne
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote