Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Lacto-Paleo/Primal Support thread

Anyone else keeping a Lacto-Paleo or Primal WOE?

I really enjoy this WOE. I follow Dr. Kurt Harris' dietary recommendations, (PaleoNu), though I eat three meals per day. I eat very low carb (VLC), under 20 grams per day.

Thought I'd start a thread, in case there others eating this way.

In addition to the no grains, no legumes, no PUFAS, I also avoid nuts and nightshades. I have found Dr. Richard Bernstein's recommendations of no fruit, VLC, and constant CHO and PRO amounts to be of great benefit.

Barry Groves website, Second Opinions, has been a useful resource of information as well.

Typical grocery list for me this winter:

Beef, eggs, cream, a vegetable or two, bit of fish, tea, butter, black pepper and herbs. (Have enough sea salt and seaweed on hand for many years.)

Sending you all best wishes for happy, healthy holidays.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
I'm also using a hybrid sort of paleo/something diet. Hard to define so I call it carnivore or "NeoCarnivore" sometimes. Still under construction, but always looking for support. So many people are mostly looking for ways to add back carbs or imitate carb-type foods. I'm just not there.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Looweewoo, how nice to have you post.

I don't exactly know what to call the way I eat, but picked a thread title that I thought might be familiar to folks.

I have no plans to increase my carbs, or add any foods. Dr. Richard Bernstein's book, The Diabetes Solution, made quite an impression on me as to the restorative and preventive nature of very low carb, as well as the danger of eating things that raise the blood sugar too high or too quickly.

I enjoy eating butter, cream, and clarified butter. I stopped eating cheese this summer and find I don't miss it. Making yoghurt from heavy cream, or sometimes a mixture of cream and half-and-half suits me.

I enjoyed your post on how your WOE has improved your body composition, without exercising, if I remember it correctly. I, too, find that my WOE is changing my cells.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Em-
I eat closest to Primal Blueprint, but I've also been influenced by Dr. Bernstein, as you have. Since I have 3 siblings who are Type2, I eat like a diabetic to avoid developing diabetes! So no fruit. I also don't eat dairy.

I have no more than 10g of carbs at any one time, as Dr. B suggests.

My eating is mainly fish, meat, eggs (mostly egg whites because yolks are inflammatory, and I try to control the pain of my arthritis with diet and exercise), and green veggies. EVOO is my major fat. My indulgence is almond butter or unsweetened baking chocolate because I don't do sugar or any artificial sweeteners.

I don't know that I believe all that about eating like our ancestors. I actually was very close to primal when I first discovered Mark Sisson's plan. I had gradually eliminated foods over time. The only change I had to make was giving up my organic peanut butter for organic almond butter--which I find I like a lot more.

I feel better eating this way than at any time in my life!
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Leo41, thank you for your lovely post. I'm glad you are doing so well.

I eat closest to Dr. Kurt Harris', PaleoNu. I, too, find I feel healthier and happier eating this way than at any other time in my life. I rarely ever have any bone pain now. My air mattress and exercises help a good deal, as well.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ga_kimmie
Stats: 181/146/120
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: August 12, 2009
I follow Primal Blueprint WOE. I'm also trying to get better about making it an entire lifestyle by incorporating more primal exercise methods and learning to barefoot run. Those are slower for me to adopt than the WOE because I was already eating low carb, I just had to clean up my diet a bit (ie. More grass fed, no artificial sweetners) in order to eat primally, but I wasn't exercising at all.
ga_kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:46 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Kim, welcome. Grass-fed is especially nice, I agree. Glad to read you are doing well on Primal. Do you give your dogs the grass-fed meat, too?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: micki641
Stats: 181/173/135 5'5
WOE: Clean Low Carb
Start Date: 7/01/10 For the last time!!
I'm so glad to see this thread. I've been lurking around at Mark's Daily Apple and I think this is just the thing for DH and I. I've had success in the past with Atkins, but DH struggles with it. The few differences from Primal Blueprint vs Atkins will make all the differnece in the world for him. I've tried a few of the PB recipes and they are fantastic! It would be great to see this thread continue on!
TY Em for starting this!!!

Michelle
micki641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Michelle, welcome. I can highly recommend Dr. Kurt Harris' blog, PaleoNu. I read and re-read it often.

I wish you and your husband much success.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luvanurse443
Stats: 303/303/175
WOE: General Lower Carb
Start Date: 4/29/2012
LactoPrimal..I like that!

I just started Primal Blueprint, but really missing dairy. I know Mark Sisson eats it occasionally, and I hate not being able to eat it...so why suffer? I have no negative consequences from eating it, so my Jan plan is to ditch the fruit and add back the cream and cheese occasionally.

I am so glad I found this thread

Thanks for recommending PaleoNu...just checked it out and love it.

Looking forward to keeping this thread going!
Luvanurse443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome, Luvanurse. Barry Groves' food recommendations are quite similar. His website is full of useful and fascinating information. His main website is called Second Opinions.

Hope it is all right to post this link:

Diabetes: Suitable Foods for Diabetic Persons - Second Opinions, UK

All the best to you.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 12-30-2010 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: typing error
Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome...

Groves is the one that turned me anti-fluoride! The dentist was not very happy when I refused the fluoride tmt for my kids teeth last month, but I was empowered! I have his book, Natural Health and weight loss...and absolutely love it.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Luvanurse, yes, fluoride. I use a Berkey water filter, which removes fluoride.

I use baking soda to brush my teeth. Do you make tooth soap or tooth paste or just use baking soda?
Old 12-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/209/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
Great thread thanks for starting it i love Dr. Kurt Harris' blog and plan on trying i right after new years
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Luvanurse, yes, fluoride. I use a Berkey water filter, which removes fluoride.

I use baking soda to brush my teeth. Do you make tooth soap or tooth paste or just use baking soda?
I use baking soda a few times a week...and Tom's fluoride-free...my kids use Burts bees F-Free.....So happy they make those! I do enjoy baking soda though.

I have to check in to that kind of filter...
Old 12-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
Great thread thanks for starting it i love Dr. Kurt Harris' blog and plan on trying i right after new years
welcome!

And happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Hey..heads up! Dr Harris will be on Jimmy Moore's podcast next week I believe...
Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Smokyk, welcome. It's nice to have you post here.

Luvanurse, thanks for the reminder about Dr. Harris' talk. I am looking forward to hearing him. Dr. Harris' blog is such a wonderful resource.

Peter Dobromylskyj's blog, Hyperlipid, is excellent, too. As is Dr. Emily Dean's, Evolutionary Psychiatry.

Stephan Guyenet, has some very good things, as well, at Whole Health Source. His posts on avoiding anything with phytic acid in them, if one wishes to rebuild bones and teeth, are fascinating. He has some links to excellent things to read, too.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:35 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I checked the schedule for the Jimmy Moore podcasts. The broadcast of the interview with Dr. Harris is listed as an "Encore" broadcast, which means it is a re-airing of the earlier interview.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 12-31-2010 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: typing error
Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
I checked the schedule for the Jimmy Moore podcasts. The broadcast of the interview with Dr. Harris is listed as an "Encore" broadcast, which means it is a re-airing of the earlier interview.
oh sorry...I just glanced at it on facebook....didnt read it all...my bad...guess i just got too excited, LOL
Old 01-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Luvanurse, I had read somewhere else that Dr. Harris would be on an upcoming Jimmy Moore broadcast, and was really looking forward to it. When you posted about it, I decided to check on the date and time and found out it is not a new broadcast. Oh, well.

I still enjoy reading and re-reading his blog and his answers to all the questions put to him. The answers mean ever more to me. I so like his no-nonsense, clear way of explaining science. His devotion to helping those with serious illnesses and to preventing illness is obvious and beautiful.

Dr. Emily Deans posts fairly often, and her blog is good food for thought. And, Peter Dobromylskyj at Hyperlipid, is, of course, grand and fascinating.

Perhaps Dr. Harris will start posting again, or publish a book. I so appreciate how he just gets to the point and that his focus is always on the heart of the matter. Accurate, concise and kind are a great combination.

I re-read Dr. Donaldson's "Strong Medicine" too, for inspiration. I keep hoping one of the Paleo-oriented doctors will carry on in the same direction, working on allergies as well as helping those who are overweight.

Best wishes to all this New Year's Day.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-01-2011 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: added something
Old 01-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I did read on Jimmy's facebook that Dr Harriis was going to start posting again...I wonder why it has been so long? I like the way he puts things too.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Luvanurse, I miss his posts, too. IMO, Dr. Harris' writing is so much more enjoyable and helpful reading than most.

Dr. Harris is most likely busy with his patients and the rest of life. There are so many ridiculous, rude comments, and so many posts of people who do not think for themselves, that I would think it would be very tedious and time consuming to take care of the blog and all that goes with that.

And, there is enough already posted on his site for folks to understand how to follow the food plan and why. He took the time to give all that information and help without charging for it, in any way. Perhaps, he decided it was enough. I could well understand it if he did not post more.

The Weston A. Price Foundation has some good things, and some of the "amateur" Paleo blogs often have good references listed in the reports mentioned.

Sending you best wishes for a lovely day.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I'm posting to subscribe to this thread and let y'all know I'm reading it, even if not posting. I'm very interesting in Paleo and looking forward to the conversation and information.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Ditto, Speck!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineCQ View Post
Ditto, Speck!
Did you change your screen-name???
I've just spent the last little while reading the PaleoNu blog. Jeeze. It's intimidating the amount of information there. I'm really very, very far away from being Paleo. I need a slow stream of information to acclimate to the many changes I would need to make.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Did you change your screen-name???
I've just spent the last little while reading the PaleoNu blog. Jeeze. It's intimidating the amount of information there. I'm really very, very far away from being Paleo. I need a slow stream of information to acclimate to the many changes I would need to make.
I did! It's the same ol' me, though!

I'm going to do some reading as well. I will probably be on info overload as well! Ah well.....we can take it slowly!!!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Welcome to you both!

When I first became interested in Paleo, I read The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain.

The book is a very easy read...although his blog is pretty scientific. It is from 2002 maybe, so it might be in the library. But a great simple book. I think Paleo has become more researched and complex since then, but would be a good starting point.
Primal blueprint by Mark Sisson is a fresh, humorous, and fantastic read as well...he has a great blog...Marks Daily Apple.

Hope you guys can hang around and join in!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:40 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I am reading the Primal Blueprint right now, because I am curious...and, I cannot ignore the idea, since I am educated as an anthropologist!!

I think it is very compelling. I am also considering that my recent 'stall' problem is maybe too much dairy....So I will be watching this thread!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #30
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Hi everyone!!!

I want to subscribe too, I love the paleo WOE but I also use dairy. I'm looking forward to more info.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote