Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #181
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I may use them if it gets terrible in the future, I think just my diet (and exercise, I do that too ) will suffice for now. Usually I tend to avoid most things in pill form. Not that I don't think they're usually safe, but I'm hailing from a couple communities where people strongly over-use pills and supplements so I am prone to addictive overuse of them.
I totally get that and applaud you for staying pill-free. Not all "supplements" work or are good for us. I am medication-phobic. I had to extensively research the above supplements before they were allowed in my house. GABA is a naturally occurring amino acid (I first read about it in Julia Ross' excellent book The Mood Cure), and magnesium is an element responsible for numerous chemical reactions in our bodies. Magnesium deficiency has many symptoms, with nervousness and anxiety being one of them ....

Quote:
Low levels of GABA, gamma-aminobutyric acid, may be a contributing factor because GABA deficiencies can negatively affect an individual's ability to manage even the most low level stressful situations.
GABA Deficiency Symptoms

A calming or "peacemaker" chemical in the brain, GABA induces relaxation, reduces stress and anxiety, and increases focus. One of the four key neurotransmitters, GABA also serves to keep all the other neurotransmitters in check. A deficiency can lead to:

* Anxiety symptoms
* Irritability
* Headaches
* Hypertension
* Palpitations
* Seizures
* Disorders of the heart
* Depression
Best of luck on the anxiety issue ... I am certain we can conquer it!

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,500....and over 3,000,000 steps

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 02-09-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #182
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Antlers
Stats: 270/219/165
WOE: VLC Lacto-Paleolithic
Start Date: June 2010
I've been eating well for a few days and, huzzah, I lost all the weight I gained at grandma's. I'm actually at 219 now which is fantastic.
Antlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #183

Quote:
I've been eating well for a few days and, huzzah, I lost all the weight I gained at grandma's. I'm actually at 219 now which is fantastic.
Go Antlers!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Excellent, great news!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nahican
Stats: 211/198/145
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 1,2014
Hi

Have you started yet? I am going to March 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
Hi Gang...

I just wanted to say I am coming in to mark this thread. I've been reading about paleo and primal today. I really am very interested. I know I have a problem with cheese and artificial sweeteners. I think what I have read so far makes so much sense. I have LOTS to learn though.
nahican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My Doctor Follows a Paleolithic Diet!

I went to the doctor on Monday. He is the genius that put me on a low carbohydrate diet five years ago. My doctor had left the hospital association, so they set me up with this young doctor who looked like he was 14. He told me to go read about metabolic syndrome and said low carb would be the only thing that worked for me. So I did.

When I went in there the other day, I told him what I was doing...transitioning to a paleo diet and Dr. Kurt Harris and his recommendation for weight loss (the Kwasniewski write up involving 85% fat.

I couldn't believe it, he told me not to worry, there would be no ill effects of a high-fat diet, and he reeled off information about the Inuit and other information I had read about people following this type of diet.

Then...he tells me he himself is following a paleolithic diet--Neanderthin. He eats primarily meat, fat, vegetables, and nuts and has chosen to eat no fruit at all. Can you believe it?

How lucky is that?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 02-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
I went to the doctor on Monday. He is the genius that put me on a low carbohydrate diet five years ago. My doctor had left the hospital association, so they set me up with this young doctor who looked like he was 14. He told me to go read about metabolic syndrome and said low carb would be the only thing that worked for me. So I did.

When I went in there the other day, I told him what I was doing...transitioning to a paleo diet and Dr. Kurt Harris and his recommendation for weight loss (the Kwasniewski write up involving 85% fat.

I couldn't believe it, he told me not to worry, there would be no ill effects of a high-fat diet, and he reeled off information about the Inuit and other information I had read about people following this type of diet.

Then...he tells me he himself is following a paleolithic diet--Neanderthin. He eats primarily meat, fat, vegetables, and nuts and has chosen to eat no fruit at all. Can you believe it?

How lucky is that?
Wow, amazing!!! You are sooooo lucky! Does he have a similarly-educated twin brother living in Texas? I so dream of having a physician like yours!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Wow, amazing!!! You are sooooo lucky! Does he have a similarly-educated twin brother living in Texas? I so dream of having a physician like yours!
I wish I could clone him for all my friends and family! He is very far away from Texas
Old 02-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
He is very far away from Texas
Darn the luck!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #190
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
My daughters dr is an atkins advocate. I totally love him!!!

I don't post her much but I do read this thread. Thanks to everyone for all the good info. I made it through my first day of no dairy, nuts or seeds I feel great I have lots of energy too. I have got maintaining down, but I want to lose a few more pounds before my daughters wedding.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Sistertzu, I wish you much success. I really enjoy how much better I feel without the nuts/seeds and their oils. Reading Dr. Harris' posts and comments convinced me to work on reducing the Omega 6 intake. And reading Stephan Guyenet's blog posts about phytic acid blocking mineral absorption got me thinking about strong bones, teeth and nerves. So, no foods with phytates for me.

I am currently only eating butter, in the category of dairy, due to pollen season. Will resume the yoghurt made from cream, and cream in the tea, and tiny bits of cheese, when the pollen has gone.

Hope you all have had a chance to keep up with Dr. Harris' blog, PaleoNu, and Dr. Emily Dean's blog, Evolutionary Psychiatry. Peter Dobromylskyj's blog, Hyperlipid has a couple of new posts, too.

Best wishes to all.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 02-28-2011 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: added information
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #192
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
I just wanted to drop in and say I am about half way thru "The Primal Blueprint" and totally in love with this book. I have also been hanging out on his blog.. and the PaNu blog.

I am considering adding a little fruit (have not had fruit for months) and a little worried. Wondered what any of your experiences were with coming from Atkins and moving toward more Primal/Paleo..

I am considering a grapefruit (with some fat and protein - not sure what these will be yet) in the AM since I live right in the middle of a bunch of citrus groves and the citrus is still very nice.

Also we have our Plant City strawberries just coming ripe and I REALLY would love some strawberries as well.

What if any fruit do you eat and what do you combine it with?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Daisy. I follow Dr. Richard Bernstein's recommendations of no fruit (except for a few berries in the summer), due to how much and how quickly fruit raises blood sugar. The only way for you to know how well your body handles fruit is to test you own blood sugar with a meter. Dr. Richard Bernstein's websites give information on this, or you can ask in the Bernstein thread. When you have a chance to read what Drs. Bernstein, Harris, and Dobromylsky have to say about fruit, fructose, blood sugar, etc., you may well find you are at peace with not eating fruit.

By combining, do you mean the need to eat fat with the fruit so that the fructose is metabolized more slowly? Many eat a bit of fruit with liquid cream or whipped cream. I highly recommend your doing a search at Peter Dobromylskyj's blog, Hyperlipid, and Dr. Kurt Harris' blog, PaleoNu to read about eating fruits with fats.

Also, when you have a chance, Dr. Kurt Harris' "Get Started" page, and the linked explanations, are for many, the definitive primer to Lacto-Paleo eating.

All the best to you.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #194
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Thank you Auntie Em,

I am on Dr. Harris' site right now! It seems to me (even though I just now am delving into these two programs) that the main difference between Primal and PaNu is PaNu does not like fruit.. I think he called just "just candy from a tree"..

I know if I do add any it will be low GI fruit and yes.. I wondered about adding fat somehow.. HWC sounds good for the berries.

I am not sure about buying a meter. I was borderline a couple of years ago before I got into low carb again. Last time I had my sugar check it was W/I normal range.

I WANT to stay in ketosis.. this is most important for me right now... I am having issue with a lack of energy on my daily walks and I just bought a new bike that I just have no energy to ride. I am hoping my body will adapt to the new exercise (it's only been a couple of weeks) soon. I don't do crazy cardio.. just a nice walk in the am 3-4 days a week and the bike I have only been on 3-4 times.. I can't seem to make it more than a mile without being extremely exhausted.

Working on it though!
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #195
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Thanks Auntie Em!

I do use butter too. I feel great, I was a bit worried I would be hungry but I've done fine, no out of control hunger. I'm taking it one day at a time. I will check out those blogs, Thanks again for your support.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Hi Everyone. I just happened to find this thread- i never actually looked at the "Other Plans" category here at LCF. I need to give a personal THANK YOU! to Aunti Em for starting this thread and for pointing me toward Dr. Harris' blog. You recommended it to someone in the Main Lobby that had started a thread about being stuck for weeks- and I was stuck for about 6 weeks after losing the first 12 lbs. I truly thought i was someone that simply was not going to be able to lose because i am perimenopausal, have afib and hypertension and i take a boatload of meds. Plus a super broken metabolism from years of yo-yo dieting and the cumulative effects of the SAD.

I have read and read and read (and i'm still reading) and i have learned sooooo much in the last few months. I read through hours of Dr. Harris and Hyperlipid and Optimal Diet, and i am currently about halfway through Good Calories Bad Calories. I adjusted my fat/carb/protein ratios and basically went VLC (under 10 per day), and i have been losing steadily ever since. I am so happy to have joined the 50 lb. club today(Yeah!!) and hope to drop down into Twoterville (with no bounce) in the next couple of days!!

I basically eat low sodium bacon, eggs, beef steaks, roast beef and a little salmon and pork. I eat coconut oil in my coffee everyday and a 1/4 cup of Bubbie's saurekraut with my meals. All i have been drinking other than decaf is water or water with ACV, lime or lemon juice and stevia. The list is pretty long of foods that i have given up, but i have never felt better with my foods. Even though i want to eat a little string beans or zucchini, i think i am best right now not dealing with vegetables at all...and i am really not missing them. I can't say that i have eliminated veges because i will have a serving here or there if i really want them...but for the most part i am just seeming to naturally leave them out. I'm not hungry, i'm losing and i feel great. I am just feeling so grateful for all that i have learned. I really believe that i can do this. Love you all!!
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Juliemb414. Welcome, and thank you for your kind thoughts. Dr. Harris' blog is great, isn't it? Have you had a chance to read Dr. Harris' blog post on how to lose weight for those with broken metabolisms?

Dr. Emily Deans' blog, Evolutionary Psychiatry, and Peter Dobromylskyj's blog, Hyperlipid, are my other two staples.

Did you obtain a copy of Dr. Kwasniewski's book, Optimal Diet, or are you going through the websites?

Congratulations on your success. There are some other VVLC and ZC folks at this thread. Plenty of folks there eating almost exactly what you've described. I read there, and post occasionally.

Following Dr. Harris' recommendations and adding in Dr. Richard Bernstein's, too, gave me new health and joie de vivre.

All the best to you.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 03-01-2011 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: corrected typing error
Old 03-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Hi again and thanks for the welcome. Yes, i have read the "How to lose Weight" entry in Dr. Harris's blog- i believe that is where i started because of you putting that link in another post. And yes i read on Hyperlipid, and Stephen G. (don't want to mangle his name from memory), and Dr. Eades, et al... No, i have not sprung for the Optimal Diet book yet, but i have read everything on his website. Great stuff. I really had to take a look at my protein/fat ratios and it was (and still is) very hard to come in strict alignment with his recommendations. But i have found that if i keep my fats high, carbs very low, and proteins reasonable, and total calories under 1800, i lose weight and feel fine. I guess if (when?) i hit another wall with the losses i will revisit bringing my protein down to the Optimal Diet recommendations.

No i haven't gotten Dr. Bernstein's book either but have checked out a few of the suggested bloggers speaking on diabetes management/prevention/cure. I can't remember which one- but i was very impressed with one blogger speaking about the value of knowing your immediate insulin response to foods and suggesting that owning a simple blood glucose meter was the most meaningful tool in your weight loss kit. Whether you have been diagnosed with diabetes or not. I am not diabetic, but i am concerned about it because of all the linking of obesity/heart disease/diabetes/hypertension. I already have 3 of the four and suspect that it is truly a genetic blessing that has kept me off of diabetes to this point. So i bought a little BG test kit and have tested at different times and after exercising and food- and i am okay with the readings. I am sure i would have gotten all kinds of swing readings before i eliminated everything and even with the atificial sweetners and LC sweets. Stevia doesn't affect my tests.

Mainly, i am just staying in my little groove and working on allowing the healing of my body to take place and the weight to come off. I guess i am most concerned with coming off of the HBP meds ( i take 4) and am trying to track that so that i can justify it to my doctor. Patience appears to be the name of that game. You would think 50 pounds off and i would drop in blood pressure? No. I still am the same. I want to rush it becaue i read of others on here that lose 25 lbs. and get taken off all meds! Oh well, i guess i will have to lose maybe 75lbs? before i start getting low bp readings taking all these meds. Then i will work on getting off the coumadin. That will truly be a result of a major healing taking place and soem serious documentation on my part to make my case. All in time.

Thanks again, and thanks for the link to the other thread.
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Paula 67
Stats: 280/216.4/174
WOE: Primal/Paleo w/ ADF
Start Date: September 24, 2010, JUDDD August 1, 2013
Hi Everyone, I have been following the Primal Blueprint for the last 5 months and have lost over 30 pounds. I spend most of my time on the *** now because I didn't know that anybody over here was following primal/paleo type plans.

I limit fruit and dairy because they cause me to stall. I eat butter and berries occasionally. I am not eating low fat as in the Paleo Diet.

Auntie Em I'm not sure if that makes me unwelcome here based on an earlier post of yours. Please let me know.
Paula 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula 67 View Post
Hi Everyone, I have been following the Primal Blueprint for the last 5 months and have lost over 30 pounds. I spend most of my time on the *** now because I didn't know that anybody over here was following primal/paleo type plans.

I limit fruit and dairy because they cause me to stall. I eat butter and berries occasionally. I am not eating low fat as in the Paleo Diet.

Auntie Em I'm not sure if that makes me unwelcome here based on an earlier post of yours. Please let me know.
Paula, I'm sure everyone is welcome here. Auntie Em has been nothing but super nice to me. Lunch break is over and I have to go but will check on this later.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Paula. I apologize if I posted something which was unwelcoming.

My intention with this thread was for it to be a support thread and resource for folks actually following a Lacto-Paleo or Primal diet.

The folks who follow Loren Cordains's brand-name Paleo Diet have their own thread.

The main reference standards for most of us are Dr. Kurt Harris' PaleoNu, or Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint. We eat various forms of high-fat dairy products. Some eat only butter and/or clarified butter. Some eat those, plus cream or only yoghurt. Some, all those, plus cheese.

Anyone eating what the anthropologists call a Pastoral diet might find some like-mindedness amongst those posting in this thread.

I agree very much with Dr. Kurt Harris' view in his post, Smoking Candy Cigarettes.

I wanted the Lacto-Paleo folks to have a thread of their own, and as far as I know, the Primal Blueprint is quite similar to Dr. Harris' recommendations.

Hope that makes the purpose of the thread a bit more obvious.

I wish you all the best.

Hi, Eliza. Thanks for your post. Hope you are doing very well.

Best wishes to all.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 03-04-2011 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: typing error
Old 03-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #202

Hi Em, I am doing well, thanks so much for your well wishes. I've been busy at work and also reading all the blogs to educate myself on the pastoral/primal WOE.

I have been completely grain-free for over 2 months and it's been awesome. I was raised in a Mediterranean household where bread was eaten at least 3 times a day, with many doughy snacks in-between. Asthma and breathing problems gone now, along with inflammation during TOM.

I just wanted to say thanks so much for all the valuable info posted here. It has opened many new doors of understanding for me.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: surfnmom
Stats: 182.4/182.4/135 (5'5)
WOE: juddd/5:2
Start Date: 4/5/13
Hi, I am slowly converting to paleo way of eating. Been spending a lot of time reading threads ans blogs. A lot of info.

Have on question. Peanuts and peanut butter. I know its not a nut, but what are the ill affects from eating it?

I will be changing to an almond nut spread as I start converting my grocery shopping and eating to Paleo.

ok just found my answer here's an interesting link that might be helpful

http://whole9life.com/2009/12/peanut-manifesto/

Last edited by surfnmom; 03-04-2011 at 07:46 PM..
surfnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michiko
Stats: Size 24-26/Size 16/Size 8-10
WOE: Primal Blueprint and Caloric Staggering
Start Date: October 31st 2011
Hello everyone! I'm really happy to see this support thread on LCF. I'm new to the Paleo plan, but so far, so good. I've been using some of the recipes from paleodietlifestyle.com and find them a bit bland, but I guess it's just a matter of re-adjusting my tastebuds.
Michiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #205
DRM
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DRM
Stats: 138/130.8/125
WOE: HCG rx
Start Date: June 2012
Hi Everyone! I've been primal/paleo since October of 2010. I have had a "downslide" and gained 5 pounds. I want to join, is that oK? I love meat. Eggs. Stuff.
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
Hi Everyone! I've been primal/paleo since October of 2010. I have had a "downslide" and gained 5 pounds. I want to join, is that oK? I love meat. Eggs. Stuff.
Welcome DRM !!!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Manaloa
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: 4/2007
Hi all.
Just wanted everyone to know I started a Whole 30 challenge for March in the Challenge Threads if anyone's interested. I'll be starting another one for April.
Manaloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #208
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Antlers
Stats: 270/219/165
WOE: VLC Lacto-Paleolithic
Start Date: June 2010
Wow, now I need to get back on the horse so to speak... I haven't gained any weight that I'm aware of (I still weigh myself) but I haven't been doing paleo very well either and I fear the repercussions are going to start soon!

So I cleaned my pantry out and am starting over.
Antlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #209

Gallery: javabrain
WOE: Paleo Eating
Hi everyone, just thought I'd jump in here.

I'm starting my paleo plan tomorrow. I am basically following Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet with a few tweaks here and there.

Now I'll go back and read the the posts! Nice to meet you!
javabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gwynhyvar
Stats: 243.8/222.4/130
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
Hi all, I've been doing paleo (not Cordain-specific) for about 3 weeks now. I feel fantastic, and knew some weight loss was happening, but I'd vowed to only weigh the 1st of each month. I *think* I lost 10-12 lbs. these last 3 weeks. Whoohoo!

I'm not new to LCF, but had wandered away since not following any specific "low carb" plan, so very happy to find you folks here. Hi!
gwynhyvar is offline   Reply With Quote