Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/229/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Auntie Em,

Oh, my gosh, this Harris blog entry was written just for me! Thank you for directing me to his blog! Out of sheer desperation, I once followed the ketogenic diet for epileptic children and lost so much weight so easily. It is a lot like what he describes here when he gets to this part:
If you have a broken metabolism, with stubborn residual insulin resistance (liver, not adipocytes), or your leptin receptors are screwed up by WGA from wheat and your satiety switch is broken, or any of a number of theoretical metabolic derangements from years of eating the standard american diet, you may have trouble losing weight without going VLC (say 5-10% carbs) and you might indeed gain weight if you eat excess protein beyond your needs.
The extra insulin response to excess dietary protein may simply drive more fat storage. I would not expect this in most people, but it may happen in some. See this.

What to do?

If you can't lose weight and you need to, you must cut carbs until you have ketones in your urine. Ketones in your blood is ketosis. Ketones in your urine is ketonuria. Ketonuria is proof of ketosis. GNG (gluconeogenesis) and ketosis is the sure way to prove your insulin levels are low as you can get them.

Then, as dietary fat has the least effect on serum insulin, and dietary protein has a small but measurable effect, eat only the minimum necessary protein (.8 -1 g/Kg/d) and the rest as fat.

5% carbs should guarantee GNG and ketonuria. (This will mean almost no vegetables and no sugary salad dressings, etc. Your food must be naked except for healthy fats)

15 -10% protein (drop it as you adapt)

80-85% fat

This, by the way, is ridiculously easy to achieve if you use butter and cream, but a bit impractical otherwise. This is close to Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet. Read the book.
PaNu - P

Wow, I will get the book. It will be so nice to read about my particular problems rather than the problems of epileptic children (and their exasperated parents)!

RE: my avatar--thank you!!! This looks quite a bit like me, actually, esp. when I was lighter. My husband said he knew immediately I was "Key Tones" before I told him it was me because he says it looks likes like me (he looked at the Century Club once when I tried to get him to join).

I am a pianist, too. it was my life when I was a child. It's the thing most people from high school remember me by when I started a facebook account and found everyone (and it has been over 25 years).

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-15-2011 at 04:10 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
KT, I'm glad you like Dr. Harris' site. Yes, that page on how to lose weight for those who have broken metabolisms of full of very helpful information. It is important to read all of his steps and the explanations to understand how to take care of oneself very well.

Dr. Harris has not written a book. Everything is on his site, right there.

I wish you much joy in doing what is right for you.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/229/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
RE: no book to buy...Oh, OK, I did just look with no luck! I also looked for Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet that he recommended in his article, but it is $99. Apparently, out of print!

RE: serious health challenges - yes, I forgot to say I agree, I am worried about diabetes (myself - while I am off diabetic meds after losing weight, it is on BOTH sides of my family, and my mother was not very heavy when she got it in her late 60s at 140 pounds!) and my husband's heart and diabetes health issues.

I know I have a particularly bad case of insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome. I was one of those unfortunate children in the 70s to be heavy when no one else seemed to be before high-fructose corn syrup came on the scene.

Thank you again for starting this thread!!!

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-15-2011 at 04:55 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #124
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Antlers
Stats: 270/219/165
WOE: VLC Lacto-Paleolithic
Start Date: June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Have you got a freezer full of venison?
Yeah, my dad and both my brothers each got deer and so we have like two freezers of it.
Antlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Antlers, that is lovely to have the freezers full. I'm sure you'll make delightful meals.

Hope you are doing well.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Chasintrail
Stats: 205/? size 10/8-10 5'6"
WOE: Primal - high-fat/real food
Hi folks, I'm still around. Haven't been posting for a couple of reasons. Number one, I've been busy at work and haven't had a lot of time to spend here.

Number two, I quit smoking on Saturday. So, anything that I'd think to post in the ML would probably not come out right. Something like, "are you serious? if you can't figure out how to buy food that doesn't come in a box stay out of the grocery." Yeah, I probably should just not post for a while

So, I'm around, but on a self imposed hiatus from posting snarky comments to the noobies... :blush:

Eat real food, mostly animals
Chasintrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Tamara, I'm glad you posted. I wish you all the best with the not smoking. I agree, the temptation to be blunt and abrupt to those who do not think for themselves is a large one.

I always enjoy your posts and look forward to the next ones, whenever they are.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #128
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasintrail View Post
Hi folks, I'm still around. Haven't been posting for a couple of reasons. Number one, I've been busy at work and haven't had a lot of time to spend here.

Number two, I quit smoking on Saturday. So, anything that I'd think to post in the ML would probably not come out right. Something like, "are you serious? if you can't figure out how to buy food that doesn't come in a box stay out of the grocery." Yeah, I probably should just not post for a while

So, I'm around, but on a self imposed hiatus from posting snarky comments to the noobies... :blush:
I'm so proud of you! Quitting smoking is so hard! Hang in there. Be good to yourself.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #129
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I'm still reading this thread but I'm not as knowledgeable as everyone else so I don't know what I could add, I really enjoy everyone's comments.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/209/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
Quote:

Tamar congrats on quiting smoking its the best thing you can do for your self way to go I quit in 07 well be 5 years next month. Have been on Dr Harris plan for 4 days now and my fasting blood sugar has droped from 7.2 too 4.7 = 129.6 too 84.6 Have a great day all
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Smoky, congratulations on those numbers. I'm sure you are relieved. I, too, find Dr. Harris' plan a godsend. It's a joy to read of others finding it has improved their health in great ways.

It's nice to have you post here.

All the best to you.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

In case anyone is endeavoring to help others eat a Pastoral/Primal way, this abstract of a clinical trial shows the gluten damages those without celiac disease.

Title of the study:

Gluten Causes Gastrointestinal Symptoms in Subjects Without Celiac Disease: A Double-Blind Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial
Old 01-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luvanurse443
Stats: 303/303/175
WOE: General Lower Carb
Start Date: 4/29/2012
Quote:

Good for you for quitting

I can get a bit snarky when I have to carb detox...like after this past holiday season...oh my.

Best wishes, and you are doing a great thing for yourself
Luvanurse443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luvanurse443
Stats: 303/303/175
WOE: General Lower Carb
Start Date: 4/29/2012
HI everyone!

Sorry I have been MIA for a while. Just trying to keep it all together, LOL

HOw has everyone been?

Doing well here, 8 pounds down in 3 weeks. Not the greatest for my size, but could be alot worse! I will take it.

Next week my adventure is going to be meats, fats, and cream/butter/cheese/eggs. Scaling down on the veggies. I dont eat that many anyway, but I need to keep my carbs low to kickstart ketosis. For some reason, I am just not there yet as deep as I want.

Have a great weekend!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #135
Junior LCF Member

I am doing well... I start school on Monday so I get to start being creative with lunches.

I've pretty much been in ketosis except for a few "a bit too much fruit" incidents this week since January 3rd. I don't know how much weight I lost, if any. I look a little different, but it's nowhere near the change I saw after week one. Still feeling good about it, though.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Luvanurse, thanks for your kind thoughts. All the best to you on your VLC.

Antlers, I'll be sending you good thoughts for Monday. You'll probably have the best lunch on campus.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:12 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Don Matesz has a new post up at Primal Wisdom on the nutritional comparison of grass-fed and grain-fed. He has advertising on the site, so no link. A google search will bring it up.

Here is an excerpt:

The balancing act

These data make it very clear that the best way to reduce your intake of excessive omega-6 oils lies in restricting intake of chicken and eliminating most tree nuts and vegetable oils from your diet. If you do this, you can easily attain a healthy total diet ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 even if you eat only grain-finished beef, lamb, pork, and bison, by including some fatty fish like salmon, sardines, or sea bass in your diet.

As we saw above, a pound of pork has 1.7 g omega-6 and a pound of fatty beef has 1.0 g. Assuming that you limit all other significant sources of omega-6 in your diet, if you consume 6 pounds of beef in a week, you will get 6 g of omega-6. To get an ideal 1:1 ratio of omega-6: omega-3 in your overall diet, you will need to eat something that will provide 5 g of omega-3s with almost no omega-6, such as salmon or sardines. Take a look at the amounts of omega-3s in these canned fish:

Salmon, pink, canned, solids with bone and liquid, 100 g, 1.7 g
Sardine, Pacific, canned in tomato sauce, drained solids with bone, 100 g, 1.7 g

Thus, 350 g (12 ounces) of either salmon or sardines in the week will give you enough omega-3 to balance out 6 pounds of beef. So I could eat a pound of beef each day 6 days each week, then have three-quarters of a pound of salmon on the 7th day, to get the desired ratio. Alternatively, I could eat my pound of beef daily with a few sardines to achieve the same result.

Now let’s say that you make a mistake that I made, and eat 100 g of walnuts daily. This would provide you with 266 g of omega-6 each week. You can see that you would have to eat a ridiculous amount of salmon or sardines – namely, 15 kg/34 lbs – each week to achieve a 1:1 ratio of omega-3 to the omega-6 in those walnuts.

You can also see that you could easily consume excessive amounts of omega-6 eating a diet based on “lean” grain-fed poultry rather than red meat. A primal dieter gets the best results by basing the diet on meat of ruminants and hindgut fermenters, not poultry.

Eat fish, not fish oils

Some may wonder about using fish oils to achieve the balance of omegas. I don’t recommend the isolated fish oils, because oils packed removed from fish often go rancid, and research suggests that they may not have the benefits of eating fish, and may increase mortality. In contrast to fish oils, whole fish supply a number of nutrients other than omega-3 fats that may promote health, including vitamin D, magnesium, and selenium.

And Dr. Emily Deans is doing a series on sleep, which is delightful reading. And, as usual, full of helpful information.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (51, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 11/30/13
Thank you all for an incredibly informative and lovely thread! I'm enjoying reading the links!
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Lynne, thanks for your kind thoughts. It's nice to have you post here.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #140
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Hi guys, the more research I've been doing lately, the more I've become convinced I need to transition to a Primal or Paleo diet. I am more into simple natural foods, and I like the idea of influencing our genes positively through our eating and the way we exercise.

Just ordered Sisson's book The Primal Blueprint and looking forward to reading it. Visited his blog site (not the purely commercial one) and got the free pdfs with the intro, customer recipes, and exercise intro, and will be reading them shortly.

Just thought I'd stop by and say hi here

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #141
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: carolinak8
Stats: 221/198.8/140
WOE: LC/Wheat-free/Sugar-free
Start Date: 6/18/12
This a great thread! I just restarted Low Carb on January 3rd and decided to try the VLC route, as that is what I prefer anyway. So, I searched for the topic on LCF and found Auntie Em's post about Dr. Harris and I was hooked. His site is so full of information and he explains the science behind his assertions in way that is easy to understand.

It is like a light bulb has come on in my head. This WOE makes sense to me. I am losing weight and I am happy doing it. I feel good. I love not being hungry all the time. I gave up diet soda, which was hard, but my goal was to get rid of things I thought might make me crave bad food, which I think is anything sweet.

So, it is so far so good for me with this VLC WOE! I love this topic and I love reading everyone's opinions and experiences!

Kate
carolinak8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Eliza. Thanks for your kind thoughts. All the best to you in your WOE.

Kate, welcome. I like your description of the light bulb coming on. I felt the same way. Congratulations on giving up the diet soda. I think every victory is a great step of health. Thank you for your lovely post.

I wish we could have tea with Dr. Harris and ask questions to our hearts' content. He is so practical. His recommendations and explanations, and those of Dr. Richard Bernstein, put things together for me in a way that has taken away so many worries.

Dr. Harris recommends reading Dr. Bernstein's book. So, I did. I read it over and over, as I do Dr. Harris' blog.

The other science-based blogs I read regularly:

Dr. Emily Deans, Evolutionary Psychiatry
Peter Dobromylskyj, Hyperlipid
Stephan Guyenet, Whole Health Source
Chris Masterjohn, The Daily Lipid

Dr. Richard Bernstein is speaking on January 26th, at 7 P. M. CST. His talk can be heard over the internet.

Best wishes to all.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-23-2011 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: corrected error
Old 01-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #143
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Hi, Eliza. Thanks for your kind thoughts. All the best to you in your WOE.

Kate, welcome. I like your description of the light bulb coming on. I felt the same way. Congratulations on giving up the diet soda. I think every victory is a great step of health. Thank you for your lovely post.

I wish we could have tea with Dr. Harris and ask questions to our hearts' content. He is so practical. His recommendations and explanations, and those of Dr. Richard Bernstein, put things together for me in a way that has taken away so many worries.

Dr. Harris recommends reading Dr. Bernstein's book. So, I did. I read it over and over, as I do Dr. Harris' blog.

The other science-based blogs I read regularly:

Dr. Emily Deans, Evolutionary Psychiatry
Peter Dobromylskyj, Hyperlipid
Stephan Guyenet, Whole Health Source
Chris Masterjohn, The Daily Lipid

Dr. Richard Bernstein is speaking on January 26th, at 7 P. M. CST. His talk can be heard over the internet.

Best wishes to all.
Auntie Em,

Thanks so much for suggesting the above science-based blogs. I have already bookmarked them all and am looking forward to many hours of happy reading!

This thread is very informative and I can't wait to read all the posts here from the beginning. Thank you all!
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Eliza, thank you for your kind words. I am endeavoring to make this thread one which has good resource information for people. Yes, there is good information throughout the thread, from the beginning.

All the best to you.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-23-2011 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: typing error
Old 01-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #145
Junior LCF Member

Eating my first packaged lunch, just to make an update... it seems I am one of only two people who brought lunches in here, which doesn't bother me. There's a free meal that's probably deep fried in batter (I'll probably get it anyway and just bring it home for my family... free food, after all).

My lunch had several times more carbs than I usually eat, which is okay, it's still primal at least... I'm going to work on lowering the carb intake, the problem was mostly money (which due to some awesome financial aid findings will not be so much of a problem soon). If anybody is looking to get lunch ideas I have starred the parts that I am definitely going to reconsider in the future.

So the menu was:
Salmon salad
Tomato-avocado-bacon salad*
A little dried fruit and some almonds*
Some carrots*
Deviled eggs

Dried fruit isn't something I want to eat often and it was more a convenience thing. Yeah, I know, convenience can kill... but I can own my inconsistencies. The tomatoes didn't help either, but again, it's my first lunch day so I'm not going to beat myself up.

Last edited by Antlers; 01-24-2011 at 08:49 AM..
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Antlers, I'm glad you are doing so well. You made yourself a very fancy lunch. I, too, think that taking the free meal to folks who'd like it is a good idea. I think battered, fried fish is better than sweets.

It took a little mental mobilizing for me to give up the dried fruit. I'm glad I did. Some do well with more carbs than I do.

I thought you might tuck in some of your beautiful venison jerky.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #147
Junior LCF Member

You know what's interesting, is I wound up not eating either the dried fruit or the avocado/tomato salad until later. It just wasn't appealing. I ate the eggs and the salmon salad and felt satisfied. I even went through the free food line and got a garden salad thinking "Hey, I eat garden salad" and I couldn't finish it. Main course was, of course, battered and deep fried. This was slightly odd for me because a can of salmon, a baby-cut carrot, and three deviled eggs is not a lot of food for me.

I consider dried fruit a "primal cheat," I like it but I tend to only eat it during times when I'm exercising a lot or need something that lasts a long time (I lost fifty pounds going primal in the summer, and I ate a lot of dried fruit... I was also very active, though). I can lose weight relatively easy at 100-150 carbs if I'm active, I'm just currently... not. I consider food proportions to be a large part of paleo/primal eating, and eating massive amounts of dates and raisins is not conducive to that proportion, but it's still better than my non-primal cheats. I haven't really had a non-primal cheat since the beginning of January and my primal cheats have except for this lunch been non-dried fruit, so I feel like I'm doing okay. Not A+, but maybe a B.

Tomorrow I don't have class until like 5:30 so I don't need to worry about bringing a lunch. Upon looking at my schedule I realize I only really need to bring a lunch twice a week, so if I keep dried fruit in it I'm not super bothered by it.

We'll just have to see whether or not the scale/photos care.

Last edited by Antlers; 01-24-2011 at 03:47 PM..
Old 01-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Antlers, I'm glad you are doing so well. It's a grand feeling to know we can choose to eat and choose not to. It's inspiring to read of how well you are taking care of yourself.

All the best to you.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
just came across this thread, very interesting---
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tori43
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: May 4, 2009
I eat very little carbs, no sugar. I need to give up cheese but not a big problem because I am losing. I also feel so good (psychologically). Did I spell that right? This is the best way for me to eat and I'm so glad y'all are here on this board.
Tori43 is offline   Reply With Quote