Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Welcome, everyone.

I highly recommend reading Dr. Kurt Harris' entire website, PaleoNu.

The Failsafediet blog might be of use, if some are concerned they might have allergies or food intolerances.

Your food plan must fit you, your health parameters, genetic history, metabolism, preferences, etc.

It is vital to read the best there is and think through all of it, and make choices that fit your needs, and not because something is popular.

This thread is for those who eat a Lacto-Paleo or Primal way of eating. To say it a different way, the purpose of this thread to give support to those who eat high fat dairy, in the context of a pre-agricultural diet.

If you do not eat butter or cream, or any other dairy products or are aiming in that direction, you will find others who are of like mind here, and here, and you can use the search function for other threads.

It is vitally important to read the best information available and think your choices through for yourself.

This is but a tiny thread on a low carb forum. There is much available on the internet, if you are interested. It is easy to do a search.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-05-2011 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: corrected typing error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Chasintrail
Stats: 205/? size 10/8-10 5'6"
WOE: Primal - high-fat/real food
Hi, can I play too?

I've been doing Primal off and on for a year or so. (We will not talk about the last 6 months :blush

I got back to clean eating on 1/1. I've done pretty well, have to admit that I haven't been 100% at all. I've seriously got to throw away the crackers!

Anyway, in just 4 days I've dropped 5 lbs! Yep, it's water, but it's extremely motivating.

Also, anyone that enjoyed Marks' book, may want to pick up Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution. I read it last night. Much more biochem than Mark's. Enjoyable.

Eat real food, mostly animals
Chasintrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
Hello!

I started paleo at the end of the summer. However, I'm an emotional eater and things started going south for me at the beginning of September. With the new year, I've decided that I need to do this for me...once and for all...and am slowly making changes over the month that I will be able to continue in February. I just realized I'm rambling. Sorry!

Auntie Em (love that!)-how do you make yogurt with heavy cream?
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Antlers
Stats: 270/219/165
WOE: VLC Lacto-Paleolithic
Start Date: June 2010
Hello! This one looks worth a subscribe.

I've been off-and-on primal/lacto-paleo since June and have really kicked it into gear. Decided I wanted to try ketosis (I am a former vegan and so I have avoided this until now due to things I was told then). Right now I'm on around a 90-95% meat and egg diet with a little dairy in there and some vegetables. Mostly venison, we had a good hunting season. I'm kind of in what in Atkins would be an "induction period," after which I'll add more vegetables and fruit. It's day four in that and I can tell things are changing but I don't feel bad except maybe a headache? It's such a little one I don't know if it actually is one... if that makes sense.

Yesterday I did mention something to my Dad about brain fog which came out as "bane frog." I don't know if the two were related as I'm not always the most articulate person in the world, but it was pretty amusing nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
I cannot ignore the idea, since I am educated as an anthropologist!!
I have an anthropology degree... makes it hard to dismiss ideas like this, doesn't it?
Antlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
I'm writing because I made a public commitment to read and post in my community threads every day. This is, I hope, one of them. I've been lax, and while I don't really have anything to contribute right now, I'm a firm believer in the idea that you can't get started unless you start. So expect me to stop in daily, even if it's just to say hello.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers View Post
I have an anthropology degree... makes it hard to dismiss ideas like this, doesn't it?
Make that 3 anthropologists in the house! Yah, it does. We know better than most I think.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Loo!

Make that 3 1/2 anthropologists. (I may eventually finish my anthro degree...)
Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Tamara, how lovely to have you post here. It's nice to "see" you. Hope you are doing well.

Antlers, thanks for your interesting post. If I didn't say "Welcome!" before, I'm glad you are posting here. There are several of us who were vegetarians in various forms who now eat mostly or all animal foods. There are those of us who eat very low carb, fewer than 20 per day, and have no plans to ever add more. Congratulations on your hunting success. That must have been grand. Are you making any venison jerky or pemmican?

Jenn and Speck, welcome. I wish you all the best with your WOE. Jenn, if you already know how to make yoghurt, just use whatever cream you wish, instead of milk. If you've never made yoghurt before you can look on the internet for instructions.

Looweewoo, it's always a delight to have you post.

Best wishes to everyone for a lovely Lacto-Paleo (or Primal) day.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-06-2011 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: corrected error
Old 01-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
There are several of us who were vegetarians in various forms who now eat mostly or all animal foods. There are those of us who eat very low carb, fewer than 20 per day, and have no plans to ever add more. Congratulations on your hunting success. That must have been grand. Are you making any venison jerky or pemmican?
Yeah, I've noticed that (not here specifically, but elsewhere). I've jokingly told my family "there are two kinds of vegetarians, those who eat very little meat, and those who seem to eat nothing but." Which probably isn't true, but sometimes it feels like it.

I made a lot of jerky. I haven't tried making pemmican yet, but it's on my list of things to try.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Antlers, thanks for the chuckle. When I became a vegetarian, someone chuckled peacefully and said he ate ascended vegetables. I didn't understand the joke at the time.

When I think back on that joke, I sometimes smile now at the way I eat, and think, yep, those animals nicely digest all those vegetables for me.

If you make pemmican, could you post a report? It'd be grand to read.

Best wishes to you.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Hi folks. Hi Auntie Em, thanks for the welcome.

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I seem to be fasting today. Hadn't planned on it, just haven't been hungry. I'll be heading for home soon, starting to get a bit peckish. So I'll have an early dinner. Probably leftover lamb, some spinach, an egg or two and maybe some goat cheese all cooked together in the skillet.

I'm looking forward to the farmer's market re-opening this Saturday. We've got a winter market here in Indy. It's great to be able to still buy straight from the producer in the winter. Hope the bufallo lady is there this week!

Hope everyone is having a good day!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #42
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Wow, a farmers market in the winter that's great!!!
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Tamara, your dinner sounds lovely, and so does that farmer's market. Buffalo would be something special, I agree.

Thanks you for kind wishes.

Today was grass-fed beef with a bit of black pepper and homemade yoghurt for me. I also drink tea w/ a bit of hwc and some pastured butter, or beef broth, or just hot water w/ various fats in it, and sometimes a pinch of sea salt.

This WOE of eating is delightful!

Hope you all have something especially nice to eat today.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

My day has just brightened!

Dr. Kurt Harris has started posting again. His new post.

If you have yet to discover his blog, PaleoNu (Paleo Nutrition), you are in for a treat.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Thanks for posting this, interesting read.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

If you have yet to discover his blog, PaleoNu (Paleo Nutrition), you are in for a treat.
Thanks for that, I'd missed him.

Thinking of making pumpkin/sausage soup tonight using coconut milk and curry. Could be really good or really bad... we'll see.

Hitting the farmer's market in the morning, I'll post my haul
Old 01-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning, Tamara. Your soup sounds daring.

Hope the lady with the buffalo is there.

I'll check in later for your report.

Best wishes to all.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Dr. Harris has another new post, with thoughts on things anthropological to read, and this:

"To my mind, killing the lipid hypothesis and exploring what might be the neolithic agents of disease take precedence over everything else. Exploration of paleoanthropology comes after modern medical knowledge, but will be a valuable adjunct. "

Here is the link to the new post.

I did a search at archive.org for "Inuit" and am enjoying reading about 19th century explorations. There are a few films there, too. I am a bit of an armchair traveler now.

Best wishes to all.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Today for me it was eggs, bacon, a little cheese, half an orange, venison heart, and a token portion of Korean kimchi. I will probably eat more venison later.

Am I running on ketones? Certainly.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Good deal. I'll have to read that tomorrow. I've really been thinking about going back and finishing my degree. Checked into it the other day and I can easily pull a double major in anth/history. Now if I could just find a scholarship fund for single white women that make too much money

Just in to report on the soup experiment. I think that we have a winner. Wasn't sure about this one, but it turned out really good. Sausage, spinach, pumpkin, coconut milk, a little chicken stock, and red thai curry spice and garam masala. Much much better than it sounds Since the sausage is from the farmers market and I know exactly what is in it (just pork and spices) I'm willing to call it primal. Guess I have my lunches for next week. And it only took 1/2 hour. Gee and people say it takes too much time to cook

Good weekend all!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:33 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Antlers, your menu sounds lovely. How did you cook the venison heart? Hope your week-end is going nicely.

Tamara, I'm glad your daring dinner turned out well. Were you able to get any buffalo meat? Best of luck to you on the college endeavor.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:07 AM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, it looks like I have, for the most part, dropped the lacto part. I'm not against dairy, but since it was only the cream in my coffee and some hard cheese grated on my salads (or as an occasional snack), it wasn't much either way.

I still have some Parmesan which I might use as a spice so it's nothing black or white here. I don't see a cave man, searching around for something to eat and finding some cheese, having a moral dilemma. So I won't either. I'm not sure dairy is good for my digestion so I plan to let it creep down to a minimum... that's all.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Looweeewoo, I'm sorry the dairy isn't sitting well with you. I went back to half and half for yoghurt, as the carageenan in hwc doesn't sit well with me. If I had access to cream from A1 cows, rather than A2, and raw, local, that would be my first choice.

The Masai traditionally live on meat, blood, milk, and herbs. If it should be of interest, here is the search results list for references to the Masai at WAPF. I don't know enough about cultures eating a pre-agricultural diet to give another example.

To me, the question, "What would a caveman eat?", is not the parameter. For me, the parameter is to establish the metabolic milieu which fits my genetic heritage, taking into consideration my own health history, as well as food sensitivities. With this parameter, science trumps reenactment. But, perhaps your reference to the caveman as a dietary standard of measurement, was shorthand for a much larger set of parameters than I understood. We all have such different parameters in our views of what a pre-agricultural diet is.

John Hawk's blog might be of interest in the historical fact gathering department, if anyone is interested. He is a professor of Paleoanthropology.

---

I often use pastured butter with salt in my tea, or beef fat and drippings, rather than cream. I know a few who use ghee.

Hope you can find some nice fat to replace the cream. I dropped the cheese, too, and feel better without it.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-08-2011 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 01-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Strictly speaking, the Masai are/were not hunter-gatherers, but pastoralists, which is a type of food production and manipulation. But one that is much closer to "nature" than agriculture, for sure. There were dozens of pastoralist peoples all over the world, their cultures persist in varying degrees of tradition today. Just some examples would be the Saami people of Norway who herded reindeer, the Navajo who herded sheep, Tibetans who herded yaks and Bedouins of the middle east who herded sheep and goats.

I love John Hawk's blog!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #55
Junior LCF Member

You've all reminded me that I was going to subscribe to John Hawk's blog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em
How did you cook the venison heart?
I sliced it in half-inch thick slices and fried it in garlic and butter like a steak.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Speck, thank you very much for your post. If you have any links you'd recommend on the peoples you posted about, and would be willing to post them, it'd be very interesting to read about them. I really appreciate your posting about them. I'll go read what I can find on the Saami. The other groups I know bits about.

Antlers, thanks for the food preparation report. That sounds good.

This website has some short video excerpts of some groups who still live a traditional culture, although not as they could a few generations back. I don't know the terminology. I don't know if the groups are all called tribes or ??? Anyway, I found this video page of the website worthwhile.

http://www.andaman-video.org/index.html

Hope you all are doing well.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-08-2011 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: added something
Old 01-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Speck, thank you very much for your post. If you have any links you'd recommend on the peoples you posted about, and would be willing to post them, it'd be very interesting to read about them. I really appreciate your posting about them. I'll go read what I can find on the Saami. The other groups I know bits about.

Antlers, thanks for the food preparation report. That sounds good.

This website has some short video excerpts of some groups who still live a traditional culture, although not as they could a few generations back. I don't know the terminology. I don't know if the groups are all called tribes or ??? Anyway, I found this video page of the website worthwhile.

Andaman Association, Lonely Islands - Video Section

Hope you all are doing well.
That's a really great repository of clips! I could use some of those in my classes Most of them are tribes, but that's often a misapplied term. For example, the San are actually a band, and the Yorubans are/were a chiefdom. Whatever, right? Anyway, glad you found my input useful. Most of what I know I learned in school or in the last decade teaching anthropology, so I can't point to any online sources that are better than you simply googling around. The Saami are my all-time favorite, though, and there's this fantastic book about them that's a non-traditional ethnography. I assigned it to one of my classes a few years ago. It's called "A Year In Lapland" "A Year In Lapland" by Hugh Beach. It also discusses how their traditional life has changed. Here's a film clip on the Saami that I have my students watch on them that illustrates the incorporation of modern technology: http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/rough/2005/12/norway_reindeer.html
Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Speck, I found that site page with the videos by googling around. Just reading a couple of articles about the Saami, I can see why they are your favorite. That book on Lapland looks fascinating. I'll see if the library can get it for me.

The pbs film will have to wait for a non-peak internet time. It isn't available this evening.

I have heard that the word "tribe" is often not used correctly. That's why I didn't know what to say for a general term for the groups of people shown in those video clips. I wish those film excerpts were longer.

I'm still making my way through the films and books at archive.org on the Inuit. Youtube has some nice films on them, too.

And I'm making my way through this travel film archive. Some wonderful vintage things. I've been watching the silent films of whaling and seal hunting, etc.

Speck, thanks so much for your posts. It's delightful to have you write about these things.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-08-2011 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: corrected error
Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

I tried making pemmican tonight with mild success. I go over how I did it here. I made the mistake of adding spices to it like jerky because I was worried I wouldn't like it otherwise and a pound of ground venison isn't something I want to waste on not liking it... so it's way too salty for me to eat as-is and I might need to add berries to cut the salt. Without the spices I think it would taste like a cold pot roast, not disagreeable. I'll be trying again without salt and with different other flavors, probably when I'm done with my keto-kick.

Last edited by Antlers; 01-08-2011 at 08:47 PM..
Old 01-09-2011, 02:50 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Antlers, thank you very much for posting about this and for the link to your blog. Your blog looks very attractive. I will take some time today and read it. It is of great service that you are writing that.

I know what you mean about too much salt. I have ended up having to use things with too much salt in them as flavorings for other things.

I've read of folks using pemmican as a soup base, so you could use bits of the salty pemmican as a soup starter, if that appeals to you.

Thanks again for the link to your blog. I'm sure others will enjoy it, too.

Hope your day starts nicely.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-09-2011 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: typing error