Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #91
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
I use Kosher salt with no issue. I got my info from Atkins 1972 book and swear by my results. I haven't used table salt in years except if I am at a restaurant.
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingwell
JB--I'm so impressed that you have your 6-year-old off of sugar. I think it is harder to get kids OFF than to never start them in the first place. My kids don't eat a horrible diet by most people's standards...but it is definitely high carb. They both detest meat/chicken/fish...my husband is an "all things in moderation" kind of person--he doesn't have a weight issue at all. I am never going to convert any of them...

As for my appointment--the doc doesn't see anything "wrong" with dropping 60 points (glucose) in an hour...or going up 60 and down 60 in the same hour...so I'm back to just figuring things out on my own. I had a bad day with food yesterday, but I am on track today. Thanks for asking.

Hope the "sickies" are feeling better today!
gettingwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #93
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
Hi guys!!

JB it is great you got your child off sugar and are teaching him at a young age. Our youngest grandson (my daughter's son) spent alot of time with us when he was a toddler and I always called him my low carb baby. He LOVES steak, shrimp, broccoli, spinach, olives, cheese...you get the picture. He can eat pistachios until they are coming out his ears! lol. My son's kids are sugar and carboholics but that is finally changing. Many people don't understand how they are poisoning their children. Its amazing how we have been brainwashed into thinking sugar and grains are healthy. Holy cow!

I cooked a bunch of crab legs for supper and they were delish with lots of butter. While I was eating them I kept thinking how grateful I am for not having to ration any thing out. I ate until I was full. Period. The VLC and IF is working so well for me. I was down another 2 pounds this morning so thats a total of 18 since Christmas day. YAY me! (I was back up to 188 Christmas day and am down to 170 now)

Lisa, thanks for Dr. Carlson's youtube. I've been reading over his website and blogs. Good stuff. Did you run across bacon is a superfood? its pretty good too.

gettingwell hope today was a good day for you.

Loowee--there is a neanderthin list site that has some pretty good reading. Like I said, that whole paleo thing is very interesting and there are several schools of thought about the diets of hunter gatherers. Do you do any of the raw meat? I know its supposed to be optimal nutrition wise, but I just don't think I could ever go to that level. Seems like lots of folks out there do though.

See you all later....
Minnas, where the heck are you? Hope you will email me.
Dr. William Castelli, a director of the Framingham Heart Study, (the longest running heart disease study), declared: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active"
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #94
Do you know your CCLL?

Teri,

You are so welcome. I Dr. Carlson!

My DH has high cholesterol by the ADA standards and was quite skeptical of Atkins and saturated fat. He always ate LC but was skeered to death of fat. Too bad, I cook and he loves my food so he was having all the fat I could force in him.

He sat down and watched the entire hour of Dr. Carlson's vids and it helped him immensely. His HDL and Trigs are perfect! So now it's he reaching for the bacon!

Bacon is the best food ever~ I will eat it all day long if you let me. I am so poor these days I actually do eat it all day long!

Raw meat can be very yummy. I love my steak mooing.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #95
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
I don't eat it raw, but I do eat it a lot more rare than I used to, and can eat it more rare than I usually like all the time. I don't see enough benefit in eating it raw to miss out on the savory flavor of cooked meat and fat.

I eat bacon almost every day and always cook enough to last beyond the current meal. I count it as my meal, but will stretch it out for half the day.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #96
Blabbermouth!!!

Someone on the PaNu site brought up the question about leptin levels being low and how it might correlate to unsated hunger. I've read a little about this but don't know too much about it. Has anyone run across any good studies about leptin levels? I'm working a strectch of 12 hour shifts this weekend and havent had time to look around much.

Another good blog I found is called a spark of reason. Lots of interesting reading. Hope you all have a great weekend!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
paleo + Juddder here--thanks for the blog reference Teri--off to check it out.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #98
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey everybody! Just got done with my weekend work stint and I'm hitting the road to visit an old friend. I actually got an email back from Joy Bauer. I'll post it when I get back so you all can see what she had to say. See you all soon!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #99
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I am starting paleo and I will admit I am confused. I read meat some veggies and small fruits nuts and seeds. no dairy. Is this correct. Today is day 2 and i am still trying to learn.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JazzleBug
Stats: 235.7 | 216.8 | 135 @ 5'6"
WOE: HCG/Primal Blueprint/Leptin Reset
Start Date: 4/6/12
ouizoid & dasiey! Dasiey, I still do dairy, but as far as everything else goes, the plan I follow is here: PaNu - Get Started
JazzleBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!

ok i read a little bit of that. I see, but could you give me a days worth of menus.
TY
Old 02-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Oh yeah--big fan of PaNu--I also like Mark Sisson (altho I am with Kurt about the fruit and dairy)--one of my favorite blogs these days is Paleo Hacks--check it out--answers lots of questions.

Daisey--menus include:

grassfed meats and poultry
fish and shellfish
omega-3 eggs
nonvegetable oils
vegetables
low glycemic fruits
nuts and nut butters

eat til satisfied--and heal your metabolism
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:46 AM   #103
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you so much. Today will be day 3. I have done good so far.
I love almonds. But the ones I had last night was to salty.
I will have to do better then that.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
Thank you so much. Today will be day 3. I have done good so far.
I love almonds. But the ones I had last night was to salty.
I will have to do better then that.
I use the non salted ones, when i do have them, never have them with salt, i agree they are to salty---seems like all salted ones are
Sunny7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri f View Post
Hey everybody! Just got done with my weekend work stint and I'm hitting the road to visit an old friend. I actually got an email back from Joy Bauer. I'll post it when I get back so you all can see what she had to say. See you all soon!
Hi all!! I love this thread. I can not say that I have changed my diet to paleo, or even low carb for that matter, but I am doing a whole TON of reading. I love Mark Sisson's site, and Dr. Harris' site too (thanks Teri F for telling me about Dr. Harris! ) I have a lot of issues with binge eating and depression (what came first, the chicken or the egg? ) so I am really struggling with even the thought of eating right now. I know that VLC is very helpful in preventing binge eating episodes (I've had great experience with it before). Anyway, as I try to "find myself" so to speak, I hope you'll let me hang out in this thread as it is so interesting to hear about your experiences!!

And Teri F-I can't wait to hear what Joy Bauer wrote to you!! When are you coming back?

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon
Happycat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chelle
Stats: 219.2/219.2/160
WOE: 20 gm carbs daily
Start Date: Low Carb
I love this thread. I have been on and off the low carb wagon for several year. I have no willpower:blush: but this time around I am doing Atkins 72 and must say I have never felt so good. I am doing the recommended vitamins and it's VLC. I can walk by the goodies now and not think twice! When I would do general low carb I would still be "tired" or dragging. Not now. Anyways you guys are great and thanks for all the info and websites-LOTS TO LEARN.
Chelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #107
Do you know your CCLL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
I love this thread. I have been on and off the low carb wagon for several year. I have no willpower:blush: but this time around I am doing Atkins 72 and must say I have never felt so good. I am doing the recommended vitamins and it's VLC. I can walk by the goodies now and not think twice! When I would do general low carb I would still be "tired" or dragging. Not now. Anyways you guys are great and thanks for all the info and websites-LOTS TO LEARN.
This is so ME! I have tons of energy and am never tempted by food...ever.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #108
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
Hi Chelle and welcome to our "party". There is some excellent info on the PaNu website, and links to other great sites. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #109
Blabbermouth!!!

Jazz......

How did your Dr.'s visit go? Did you get started on some meds to help you?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri f View Post
How did your Dr.'s visit go? Did you get started on some meds to help you?
I am one HAPPY girl. See new avatar? That happy.

Odessa, Texas Doc Review

Sharon & Michelle! Welcome to the party!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't been updating a whole lot in here, but mostly because I felt like utter shitake. Today's my first day on hormones and I feel a difference. I didn't expect to feel good so quickly and have to keep wondering if it's real or not - then tell myself that it doesn't matter - don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

While we were traveling, we made some off plan choices. Intentionally - we were wondering if these old favorites would taste the same. Indulged in our curiosity and, like usual, discovered that no, in fact, these things no longer hold any appeal to us. We ate a Popeye's - the fast food my DH grew up on. Not only did it not hold any appeal for us, but I have a raging sinus headache today. If there was any question whatsoever that it was worth it, that question's been answered loud and clear. LOL My body revolts when I eat anything out of the norm. Leaves me wondering if I should get tested for Celiac, just to know.

Anyway, now that I'm on hormones I have a "bring it on" mentality with weight loss. My Doctor said that if I don't see improvement in the weight loss department, she'll prescribe something for me at my next appointment (metformin, perhaps? I didn't ask). I'm hoping to have lost a decent amount of weight before I see her again, though.

Life is good. And I thank God for the suggestions of Dr. Harris and how easily laid out his "plan" is.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chelle
Stats: 219.2/219.2/160
WOE: 20 gm carbs daily
Start Date: Low Carb
Thanks for the welcome! Down another pound today. Appetite is nodda. I even have a co-worker seeing the light and referred her to this website. Life is good!

Jazz-I love your new avi-beautiful.

Well I am off to check out Dr. Harris.
Chelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:33 AM   #113
Blabbermouth!!!

Jazzlebug, I'm so happy for you! Great news and its wonderful you are feeling better almost immediately. I agree that Dr. Harris is just wonderful. I LOVE his site and feel so much better following his 12 step plan.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #114
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Oh yeah--big fan of PaNu--I also like Mark Sisson (altho I am with Kurt about the fruit and dairy)--one of my favorite blogs these days is Paleo Hacks--check it out--answers lots of questions.

Daisey--menus include:

grassfed meats and poultry
fish and shellfish
omega-3 eggs
nonvegetable oils
vegetables
low glycemic fruits
nuts and nut butters

eat til satisfied--and heal your metabolism
This is how I'm eating right now. I'm working with a trainer, and I've done really well over my first fifteen weeks. But I hit a plateau, so I have eliminated dairy, grains and caffeine from my diet this week. Anyway, he changes my plan weekly...and it may get changed again on Wednesday, but for now, I'd like to hang out here. I really like this way of eating.

Someone was asking for menus...I tend to keep my eating pretty simple, but I eat things like:

breakfast: two scrambled eggs, grapefruit
snack: apple, pistachios
lunch: spinach salad with baked chicken, oil/vinegar dressing
snack: celery, peanut butter
dinner: salmon, salad with oil/vinegar dressing
snack: shrimp
Old 02-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: orteggleston
Stats: 283/242/For now, I'd be happy to leave the 200's!!
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Off and on since March 2008
Hi All...

Just finished reading this thread and enjoyed all the insight!

I have been eating VLC for years (on and off). Stillmans has been "my friend" for the past year, but I have been stalled for about 2 months now. Thinking perhaps the low carb/low fat is not working any more?

We are also trying to get pregnant and my mother is constantly on my case about my LC lifestyle. She is certain it is not an appropriate way to eat while pregnant...

I have been doing a lot of reading on Paleo nutrition and think it is awesome. Mainly, I would love to get my children eating this way. They are 5 and 3 and are not healthy eaters. :blush: My 5 year old deals with sinus and asthma issues at least once/month and I have a feeling a lot of it has to do with his diet.

Anyhow, that is just a bit of rambling about me. Look forward to spending more time here. Today I will be grocery shopping Paleo-style
Old 02-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #116

I am reading the Primal Blueprint and enjoying it quite a bit. I am seeing where this type of eating can be very beneficial towards helping me get to my body's lean weight. Right now, I am at about 24% body fat and my ultimate goal is 19%. Once I'm there, I am going to do whatever it takes to maintain.

In maintenance, I would love to be able to add red wine, dark chocolate, and some dairy, like greek yogurt. I'm fine giving up grains...I've never liked bread, anyway.
LowCarbRachel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #117

I was just reading the food lists in Primal Blueprint and he does not suggest peanut butter. I will switch to almond butter when I go to the store tomorrow.

I don't have much of an appetite today! And I think I'm over my caffeine withdrawal, yay!
Old 02-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #118
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
I'm reading Primal Blueprint too, but slowly. It's easy enough to read, I just have it by my bed and seem to fall asleep relatively easy these days

Lots of stuff I already know, but mixed with enough research to give it a new twist or flavor.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #119
Blabbermouth!!!

I am going to have to get me some of these books to read.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #120

Today I've had

scrambled eggs in olive oil
chicken and spices "fried" in coconut oil over cucumbers with balsamic vinegrette dressing
dinner will be baked chicken drumsticks with roasted asparagus

I was going to buy almond butter at the store, but the only kind they had was salted and I'm on limited salt this week, per my trainer.

I'm on a rest week from the gym, so we went bowling today (for "play" per primal blueprint) and now we are going to go for a walk at the park. Just a gentle walk, nothing that would count as "cardio."

Daisy, I highly recommend Primal Blueprint. I'm going to tell my trainer I want to keep eating this way for the rest of my program. When I reach my coveted 19% body fat, I am going to see if I can add in red wine, dark chocolate, and dairy in the form of greek yogurt and a small amount of cheese. I can see living like this forever.

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 02-28-2010 at 12:01 PM..