Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JazzleBug
Stats: 235.7 | 216.8 | 135 @ 5'6"
WOE: HCG/Primal Blueprint/Leptin Reset
Start Date: 4/6/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bflawless View Post
I am at goal and I do not count calories. I probably eat over 2000 calories on most days and funny thing I have surpassed my goal and am still losing. I do workout with weights 3-4 days a week but I know what has been the key to my health and well being is going VLC.

I don't hang out in the Maintain Lane b/c I do not like the whole counting calories thing. I have read many of the comments in the Maintain Lane and the general concensus is that most of those in the "lobby" are morons and in denial that calories do count.

I prefer to help those struggling b/c I know what it's like to struggle and to be told that clearly they should cut their calories even lower from their already low 1200-1500 calories. I lived that lie for a long time. Before LC I had to eat under a 1000 calories a day and workout like hell to stay in my size 2-4's . Let me tell you THAT wasn't living. I don't over think a thing anymore. I eat when I am hungry stay clear of carbs and voila I am at goal and beyond.

I hope all you Paleo's are having a wonderful day!
I particularly enjoy the "not over thinking it anymore." In the few months that I've been on these forums, I have run the gamut of diet "personalities." I am relieved to finally be in a more stable frame of mind that allows me to think of other things...like my kids and family and gardening and reading and...everything. Eating to feeling is my key, too, as well as having the knowledge of what certain foods do to or for my body - those are all helping to keep me in line right now.

And for the record, I know from recent experience that if I go "off plan," I gain weight at an alarming pace (beyond the initial glucose and water and whatnot). But, this WOE is allowing me to remain at least at a stable weight while I get my hormones squared away (I'm really, really excited to see what happens after treatment!!!).
JazzleBug is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleBug View Post
(I'm really, really excited to see what happens after treatment!!!).
Stephanie, I'm sorry but I must have missed it, what treatment?
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looweewoo View Post
Stephanie, I'm sorry but I must have missed it, what treatment?
Thyroid. I just got my labs back and they explain why I've been "stalled" out on weight loss for the past 2 months. (Hashi's hypothyroid) I have a dr appt on the 25th for a prescription.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

I knew about your thyroid, but I thought you were already being treated.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
Thanks Stephanie for your kind words. The whole exercise thing keeps coming up and its usually people just repeating the things other misinformed people post.

One of my friends here on LCF told me about the comments made in the maintain lane. I read through some of that and just laughed. As I stated before, I'm glad it works for them. I've got enough OC problems with out counting out green beans and weighing my chicken skin. (Don't ask--that was from another thread I just read). I think you probably read the nasty remark another one made to me about telling a 17 y/o that I agreed with others about eating real food instead of shakes and bars. Weight loss is important but good health is bottom line. A 120 pound corpse is not what I'm aiming for.

I'm so happy for you Stepanie that you are getting your thyroid situation under control. And I think you are right about what Dr. Harris says. Especially at your young age! I'm not sure that will happen for an old lady like me though...lol. But I hope it does at least to some extent. If my body never gets to the point that I can metabolize food better, thats ok too. I can eat this way without a problem at all. I feel great and like you said, I'm thrilled to be able to live my life and not constantly fret about what I will be eating next, and feeling hungry and miserable.

Dr. Harris is planning on writing about thyroid and cancer in the near future. That will be interesting. Another blog I really enjoy is Michael Eades. He really knows his stuff and he's very funny. I love the stuff he writes about Oz--its hysterical! But he has lots and lots of good info about nutrition and health.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Party on...
Dr. William Castelli, a director of the Framingham Heart Study, (the longest running heart disease study), declared: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active"
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:19 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingwell
Teri, RE: your question about what I'm eating...I think it is too many carbs. I don't think I can complain about appetite control until I get the carbs down. I'm actually seeing an endo tomorrow re: my fluctuatng blood sugar values--the dietician(s) keep telling me to eat 30-40 g carbs per meal--I'm not doing THAT, but they are much higher than what would be considered "low". I hope this endo has some good advice for me--I'm tired of having my b.s. go up 60 points in 30 minutes and then to have it fall 40-60 points in 30 minutes. I think I know the RIGHT answer (eliminate the carbs) but for some reason, I want a doctor to at least legitimize that I'm not crazy and my b.s. shouldn't do this. I'm not diabetic. THANK YOU for your help! Enjoy the snow....we're getting hit with another 6-10 inches today, but I think we're getting most of the Ohio snow in this part of the state.
gettingwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingwell View Post
Teri, RE: your question about what I'm eating...I think it is too many carbs. I don't think I can complain about appetite control until I get the carbs down. I'm actually seeing an endo tomorrow re: my fluctuatng blood sugar values--the dietician(s) keep telling me to eat 30-40 g carbs per meal--I'm not doing THAT, but they are much higher than what would be considered "low". I hope this endo has some good advice for me--I'm tired of having my b.s. go up 60 points in 30 minutes and then to have it fall 40-60 points in 30 minutes. I think I know the RIGHT answer (eliminate the carbs) but for some reason, I want a doctor to at least legitimize that I'm not crazy and my b.s. shouldn't do this. I'm not diabetic. THANK YOU for your help! Enjoy the snow....we're getting hit with another 6-10 inches today, but I think we're getting most of the Ohio snow in this part of the state.
I hope your appointment with the endo goes well but unless he or she knows what they are talking about nutrition wise, you are going to get the same stupid advice. If you drop your carbs you will not have those crazy blood sugar and insulin swings. I would encourage you to get Dr. Bernstien's book called "the Diabetes Solution" (I think thats the name.) Its excellent and would be a valuable resource for you. Best of luck to you. Let us know how your Dr. appt. goes.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Glad i found this thread, i have read the PaNu site, i do VLC and i woiuld hate to count calories, been there done that--i enjoy this way of eating, i have been LC for many years, the atkins way, but have been doing VLC for a couple years, i do have bad days sometimes and feel terrible when i do, don't know why i get off track, have not figured that out yet
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny7 View Post
Glad i found this thread, i have read the PaNu site, i do VLC and i woiuld hate to count calories, been there done that--i enjoy this way of eating, i have been LC for many years, the atkins way, but have been doing VLC for a couple years, i do have bad days sometimes and feel terrible when i do, don't know why i get off track, have not figured that out yet
Sunny! I love hearing about people who have been doing the VLC thing for a while.

gettingwell, I hope your endo can give you some good advice. I haven't read Dr. Bernstein's book, but enough people who seem to be "ahead of the curve" have recommended it and it's definitely on my to read list. Keep your chin up and remember to use your gut and common sense. The best we can do is be knowledgeable and open-minded to new ideas.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Glad you found us too! I love the info on the PaNu site too. I love how I feel SO much better eating VLC.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri f View Post
Glad you found us too! I love the info on the PaNu site too. I love how I feel SO much better eating VLC.
Teri, i was reading on another post that you use mushroom, onions and a few other things as condiments, how much do you eat of these things

Thanks

Glad to be here
Old 02-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Minnas, my friend - how'd the week pan out for you?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Teri, i was reading on another post that you use mushroom, onions and a few other things as condiments, how much do you eat of these things

Thanks

Glad to be here
I don't eat a lot of any of them. Just basically to add flavor to steaks and roasts. Occasionally I eat some green veggies--broccoli, green beans, spinach but it is so weird. It really affects my appetite. Even just a half cup. So right now I'm just concentrating on the fat and protein. Onion is actually a bit higher in carbs but they never affected me any more than other low carb vegetables.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the support. JB, I certainly hope you get your thyroid sorted out! I kind of feel like you do about the appointment--I have been looking FORWARD to this appointment so that perhaps I can get some answers! Yesterday we got a lot of snow and many doctor's offices were closed--I'm glad my appt. is today--the roads should be in a little better shape!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey guys,

I will be staying in touch a little on this thread and in PM's but I won't be posting much in the Main Lobby. I've been smacked down for the last time. Every thread i start gets moved and I've had posts deleted. I guess the powers that be don't like what I have to say. Thats ok. Here's my email if anyone wants to stay in touch. Hang in there gang and best of luck to you all!! terif04996@aol.com
Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

What?!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh no!!!---can't believe this, love your threads
Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Teri...I'm taking down your e-mail! I'm sorry that you are leaving...you are really knowledgeable and helpful.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #79
Blabbermouth!!!

It's hard for me to remember that they are trying to run a business here. That puts a stress on moderators that many forums don't have.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Teri - I hope you are able to stay with us. I enjoy your posts.

Day 6 of VLC, very high fat, moderate protein. About 80%, 1%, 20% according to ****** but that doesn't equal 100 so Hmmm.

Up 3 pounds that does not seem to be budging. I must be overeating but my goal with this was not to be hungry all the time and I'm eating what it takes to turn off hungry. I'll stick with it until the end of the month and then evaluate.

I am enjoying the simplicity of meat, eggs, and fats. And I don't miss veggies at all.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

How is your salt intake? If it's high it can add weight while you are losing fat.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Salt may well be a factor, Loo, thanks for the reminder. I have had a few "convenience meats" ie sausage, bacon, rotisserie chicken as I have been fighting the flu. Maybe it's even the flu itself causing the problem. I took sugarfree robitussin and Motrin a few times. I'm better now so I'll see what happens.

I'm really hoping this works for me for maintenance. I don't want to become a calorie counter and I don't want to feel weak and hungry.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

I'm slowly working my way through Taubes Good Calories, Bad Calories and it's pretty mind blowing. Lies, deceit, politics...dun, dun, DUUUUN. It's actually a lot more interesting than I thought it would be, thanks to the timeline description. It's not like a math class textbook, which is, actually, what I was expecting.

I worked out my cholesterol numbers yesterday thanks to Griffen's wonderful Cholesterol Primer thread (on the Cholesterol board) and am happy to say that my supplementing with coconut oil and the high fats are working fabulously. If anyone's interested... IDEAL number (not lab range) is in parenthesis.

Cholesterol 166 (< 200)
Triglyceride 71 (< 150)
HDL Direct 51 (> 40)
LDL 101 (<100)
VLDL 14

Chol/DHL 3.25 (< 4.4)
Tri/HDL 1.39 (< 2) (the smaller the number, the larger the particles!)
LDL/HDL 1.98 (< 3) (I think it's <3?)

If anyone sees any errors, let me know. Otherwise...there you have it! DH is anxious to get his tested, as well. He's not quite as high fat as I am, as he doesn't track or aim for a certain percentage, nor does he supplement with coconut oil, but he's still fairly high, generally speaking.

One of my boys was at school the other day, at lunch, talking about what he knows about fat (which is totally opposite of what they've been told in recent days because they're doing a American Heart Association drive). He's six and kids around him were making fun of him and telling him that he was wrong...all the while eating cookies and drinking Big Red and eating packages of Gushers. Poor guy was pretty upset about it and we only discovered this after he'd picked around his dinner for a while and then asked about how much fat was in it. We had a good talk that ended with him laughing - finding it humorous that the kids who were trying to tell him how to eat "healthy" were doing so while eating and drinking pure sugar. We've recently removed all sugar from his diet and he, HIMSELF, has noticed the positive changes from it, so I'm glad he was able to see the humor in that for himself.

I am so thankful that we're doing this for our boys. You know...they haven't had a sniffle or been sick since we started them eating this way? Totally unheard of. Usually it's something every couple of months. And since cutting out all grains, NONE of us have had any sinus issues (pressure, sore throats from drainage, bloody noses, etc).

Weighed today and am still holding steady at 215 (still bouncing up and down around that). I haven't been weighing much because I know that I'm not going to lose weight until I'm on medication. But I'm not gaining - and I gain SO easily! So, I have hope!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Salt may well be a factor, Loo, thanks for the reminder. I have had a few "convenience meats" ie sausage, bacon, rotisserie chicken as I have been fighting the flu. Maybe it's even the flu itself causing the problem. I took sugarfree robitussin and Motrin a few times. I'm better now so I'll see what happens.

I'm really hoping this works for me for maintenance. I don't want to become a calorie counter and I don't want to feel weak and hungry.
Ugh...I hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It's hard for me to remember that they are trying to run a business here. That puts a stress on moderators that many forums don't have.
Yes, I agree. It's not easy to remember that.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingwell View Post
Thanks for the support. JB, I certainly hope you get your thyroid sorted out! I kind of feel like you do about the appointment--I have been looking FORWARD to this appointment so that perhaps I can get some answers! Yesterday we got a lot of snow and many doctor's offices were closed--I'm glad my appt. is today--the roads should be in a little better shape!
How'd your appt go???
Old 02-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Hey guys, just found this thread. For the past week I've been eating paleo/PaNu and doing intermittent fasting, I thought it would be sooo hard but it's been pretty easy. The switch from LC has been easy, not much difference in my food choices, though I had to say goodbye to occasional treats like cheesecake and peanut butter fudge. Bah, they stalled me/made me gain anyways. My biggest breakthrough though has been in the evening snacking department. I have always been incapable of just telling myself "Hey it's easy, don't snack in the evening". However if I know I *CAN* do something, I will do it. So strange to say, LC on it's own wasn't strict enough for me, I found plenty of ways to still get too many calories in. Throw in a strict 5-6 hour eating window though, and the snacks are gone. I have been doing 3-8pm or so, but yesterday I was ravenously hungry at 2 so I just went with that. I do try to listen to my body but try to listen for REAL hunger cues and not fake "I'm bored, feed me" queues. My eventual goal is to only eat in the evenings, a la Warrior diet, I'm not there yet though.

Paleo wise, I've made some progress on giving up dairy, this week I have had no HWC, and I've had several cheese-less days, though I find that no cheese limits my recipe options too much on the days that I want to make a recipe. I lose best on a very plain meat + veggie meal (or just meat), so I will try to keep recipes down to 2-3 days a week. One thing that I will keep though is butter, I love butter, and I always cook my eggs in it. So butter stays. I think as long as I watch my cheese portions though and keep it under 4 ounces a day total I don't have any problems with cheese, especially since my snacking problem is fixed, cheese was only a problem as a snack, not in recipes.

I also really enjoy reading Mark's Daily Apple and so take some information from his Primal Blueprint as well. I would love to exercise like that, unfortunately my exercise options are not very good, I'm going to have to do this mostly on diet alone. (I have an apocrine gland disorder, very much exacerbated by sweating, ugh!) Makes me want to keep spitting out babies as when I'm pregnant the disorder goes dormant and I don't have any issues, I gave birth in October though so it's back in full swing

Wow I do tend to ramble on
Old 02-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #88
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Quote:
How is your salt intake? If it's high it can add weight while you are losing fat.
Ya know I love you Loo, but I have to disagree. You need salt while doing LC it really helps with potassium levels and fatigue.

I use plenty of salt, sure if you never use salt and start you may see a slight water gain but after a while it vanishes.

Teri:
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #89
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleBug View Post
I'm slowly working my way through Taubes Good Calories, Bad Calories and it's pretty mind blowing. Lies, deceit, politics...dun, dun, DUUUUN. It's actually a lot more interesting than I thought it would be, thanks to the timeline description. It's not like a math class textbook, which is, actually, what I was expecting.

I worked out my cholesterol numbers yesterday thanks to Griffen's wonderful Cholesterol Primer thread (on the Cholesterol board) and am happy to say that my supplementing with coconut oil and the high fats are working fabulously. If anyone's interested... IDEAL number (not lab range) is in parenthesis.

Cholesterol 166 (< 200)
Triglyceride 71 (< 150)
HDL Direct 51 (> 40)
LDL 101 (<100)
VLDL 14

Chol/DHL 3.25 (< 4.4)
Tri/HDL 1.39 (< 2) (the smaller the number, the larger the particles!)
LDL/HDL 1.98 (< 3) (I think it's <3?)

If anyone sees any errors, let me know. Otherwise...there you have it! DH is anxious to get his tested, as well. He's not quite as high fat as I am, as he doesn't track or aim for a certain percentage, nor does he supplement with coconut oil, but he's still fairly high, generally speaking.

One of my boys was at school the other day, at lunch, talking about what he knows about fat (which is totally opposite of what they've been told in recent days because they're doing a American Heart Association drive). He's six and kids around him were making fun of him and telling him that he was wrong...all the while eating cookies and drinking Big Red and eating packages of Gushers. Poor guy was pretty upset about it and we only discovered this after he'd picked around his dinner for a while and then asked about how much fat was in it. We had a good talk that ended with him laughing - finding it humorous that the kids who were trying to tell him how to eat "healthy" were doing so while eating and drinking pure sugar. We've recently removed all sugar from his diet and he, HIMSELF, has noticed the positive changes from it, so I'm glad he was able to see the humor in that for himself.

I am so thankful that we're doing this for our boys. You know...they haven't had a sniffle or been sick since we started them eating this way? Totally unheard of. Usually it's something every couple of months. And since cutting out all grains, NONE of us have had any sinus issues (pressure, sore throats from drainage, bloody noses, etc).

Weighed today and am still holding steady at 215 (still bouncing up and down around that). I haven't been weighing much because I know that I'm not going to lose weight until I'm on medication. But I'm not gaining - and I gain SO easily! So, I have hope!

Those are the only numbers that matter and both look great! If you haven't seen this guy's webcast you need to. It's eye opening and will explain the truth about cholesterol and interpreting lab results!

Carlson..." target="_blank">YouTube - Ultimate Wellness with Dr. James Carlson...
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bflawless View Post
Ya know I love you Loo, but I have to disagree. You need salt while doing LC it really helps with potassium levels and fatigue.

I use plenty of salt, sure if you never use salt and start you may see a slight water gain but after a while it vanishes.

Teri:
Well, table salt is sodium chloride, which does not help with potassium, so I use morton lite-salt which is half potassium chloride. But some people eat way too much sodium chloride, and yes, increase it when eating VLC, by using prepared meats.