Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 14days
subscribing!!....devising my maintainance plan will be. After regaining over 60 pounds i'd lost for good i've vowed not to let processed foods into my everyday life....glad i read this thread

Last edited by 14days; 10-03-2009 at 04:49 PM..
14days is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
maria and anyone else who's interested...you may have linked from another site but if not, check out Dr Harris' PaNu. there are steps to follow and you do as many as suits you. also like mark sisson, he talks about the dairy option. both good reading for sure.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #93
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Hi-

Has anyone here read Mark Sisson's The Primal Blueprint? I ask because I recently discovered his website, Mark's Daily Apple, and I'm going primal (rather than paleo) because of his allegiance to fat. I've been low carb for a while but recently nixed grains and dairy for myself. My biggest sacrifice will be my natural peanut butter, but I think it will be worth it.

I'm asking about the book because the website has SO much information that I wonder whether it will be worth it to purchase the book. It has all rave reviews on Amazon, and some of those people obviously know the website, so I'm inclined to think that it might be worth it.

Any advice?
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

leo, see post # 86. that's why i referred to mark in the post just before yours.
i think these are more doable than cordain's. although for the peop who are into low fat, cordain is probably easier to 'swallow'.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #95
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Valtor
Stats: 337/260/200
Here is a great non-commercial and very scientific oriented paleo diet web site. It's very easy to follow and written by an MD.

PaNu - Get Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt G. Harris MD
Remember, the paradigm is about paleolithic metabolism, not paleolithic food re-enactment!
Tons of great info can be found. It's doing wonders for me.

Patrick
Valtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: maria40nc
Stats: 135/127/116
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
Oh.. thank you for the links and book suggestions! I've read Paleo for Athletes and am now reading Neanderthin. I dropped grains on Atkins and have now dropped dairy. I think I prefer higher fat version so I appreciate the reading that includes more fat.

Leo - You can try almond butter in place of your peanut butter. I would like to make my own walnut butter, but haven't done it yet.
maria40nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #97
Senior LCF member

Jem-

Yes, I read your post about Mark--which is what encouraged me to post here. But my question was specifically about the book. I'm wondering whether it's worth buying, since I think I have all the information I need from the website. I started today to be totally primal for the next month, and then I'll reassess. I also do JUDDD, which is a form of intermittant fasting, and I know Mark thinks fasting is good, too, so I'm hoping this combination will be really good for me.

Maria-

I tried almond butter a few years ago because I suspected it would be healthier than PB, but my memory is that it was too bland. However, I know my supermarket has a natural almond butter, and I may try it again. Eating only fish, meat, eggs, and veggies, I think I need a "treat" on hand, and I find difficulty controlling portions with nuts themselves, whereas 1T of nut butter with my tea usually works fine.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i do like almond butter but it is not a replacement for pb. i am now off pb for a while for the same reasons. although, i find that when i just eat it off the spoon (rather than, say, w an apple or something), i am less likely to overeat it. like cheese, it is a convenience food for me...no preparation, etc.

leo, i think you can get what you need from the site but some peop like having the book, so it's up to you. i'll be anxious to hear your results.
PaNu is similar and also discusses IF.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #99
Senior LCF member

Jem-

I got some almond butter at the supermarket this morning, and it's so expensive that will encourage me to eat it only as a 'treat' (which was my intention). Like you, I will eat it off the spoon, probably with a cup of tea.

I also do JUDDD (for the past 8 months) which is alternate-day dieting. Since I'm post menopausal and hypothyroid, it's the only way I can restrict calories enough to lose.

I'm doing Primal for health reasons because I was getting careless with 'low carb.' It seems to me to be the healthiest way to eat, and it enables me to get the nutrients I need in the fewest calories.

I just began Primal, and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #100
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: celtia
Stats: 220/160/150 5'2"
WOE: grain/sugar-free whole foods
Leo,

I definitely think Mark's book is worth it. The site has vast amounts of info and a great community of PB'ers, but to me the book pulled everything together in an easy-to-read-and/or-quickly-reference format. Another benefit to the book is that you have something tangible to show folks when you want to spread the PB/lc word!
celtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 14days
hi guys...i am really looking into this....but i am very lc for now to lose weight!!....i am devoting 18 months to eating right weather i lose weight or not.....i am doing one more mon of VLc and switching to fruits veggies nuts meat eggs fish.....milk and cheese...i'am think of limiting that to once or twice a week....or maybe non at all.....BUT I LOOOOOOVE CHEEEEESE
14days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:36 AM   #102
Senior LCF member

Found something that I want to share with all-

I'll be traveling soon and always worry about having something that I know I can eat with my morning coffee or as a snack on the plane, etc. I like a bar, but since I'm trying to avoid all processed food AND artificial sweeteners, it's difficult. Through Mark's Daily Apple (my primal eating website), I heard about You Bars (youdotbars), which is really neat. You create your own bar. There are guidelines that take you through various ingredients (e.g., nuts, sweeteners), but what's really cool is that as you add items, it gives you the nutritional content. I was able to make a 167 cal bar that has 10g protein and 9gr carbs. I used mainly nuts, dates, whey protein, and almond butter with some unsweetened cocoa and cinnamon for flavoring. I have no idea how it will taste, but they offer a full money-back guarantee if it's truly awful.

I should have them later this month, and I'll let you know how they turned out.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i don't think you can go wrong w those ingredients....except for the whey. some powders taste better than others. will you be monitoring BG's?
i made lots of date sweetened stuff when i was vegetarian/vegan/raw but gave it all up.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #104
Senior LCF member

Jem-

I didn't want to use whey because I try to avoid all dairy, but it was the only way to get some significant protein into the bar. I'm not diabetic, so I don't monnitor BG on any regular basis. I'm hypothyroid and have my blood checked every 4 months, and my endo does BG, too. It remains steady.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Leo - I agree about the almond butter being bland. I believe the main difference (other than it is an entirely different nut!) is that fact that almond butter has not salt. One of the things that gives peanut butter it's distinctive flavor is salt. I actually added soem salt to my last jar of almond butter and it helped; but for Paleo we aren't supposed to be adding salt anyway. Not only that, it doesn't matter how expenisve it is, I'll binge on it anyway.

As for the bars... have you ever tried Lara Bars? You can get them at walmart. The ones I like have nothing in them but unsweetened apple, walnuts, almonds, dates, cinnamon.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #106
Senior LCF member

Maria-

Thanks.

I've actually come to like my almond butter this week! And I didn't add any salt, as I don't mind the taste at all.

I'll look into LaraBars, but my memory is that when I checked them out (a long time ago), there were too many carbs for me. I limit myself to 10g of carbs per meal in order not to trigger an insulin response. I also limit my calories AND try to maximize protein. So it could be any one of them that was a problem for me with Lara Bars, but I'll look at them again.

My 'requirements' are so stringent that I really loved finding You Bars. Now if they are edible, it will be a success.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:05 AM   #107
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: perlchyk
Stats: 192/159.2/155
WOE: HCG R2P2
Start Date: July 4, 2009
Dates have a LOT of sugar. I have used Larabars when I backpack, but I think I might switch to the youbars as I can get something with more protein and fat and less sugar from them.

Thanks for that link - it's AWESOME!
perlchyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #108
Senior LCF member

Maria-

I checked out the Lara Bars (and thanks again for the reference), but it was as I suspected. They have too many carbs and too little protein for me.

I try to limit my carbs to 10-12g per meal to lessen the insulin response, and I find that it's critical for me to get enough protein. Since when I travel, the bars are usually my breakfast, I want at least 10g of protein.

Otherwise, they're really good because so many bars have icky additives, and the Lara seem very wholesome.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i buy unsalted pb and it is really flavorful....no salt necessary.
i like almond butter and maybe it's better to not love it so much, huh?
Old 10-11-2009, 01:45 AM   #110
Senior LCF member

Jem-
I have given up pb, since it's not 'primal.' Actually, I had read some time ago that peanuts are not good for hypothyroids, so I'm happy to give it up--although I really love it.

I got used to almond butter, and I just ordered some macadamia butter to try that. The prices from Netrition are so much less than my supermarket for this natural stuff.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

leo, i don't know where you are but tj's has good priced almond butter.
yes, i have given up pb for long periods while paleo (and when i was raw vegan).

my thyroid was low while vegetarian and low fat but is good now.
when i want some pb, i go and get some from bulk at HFS. that way there is not the temptation to go nuts!!
it's been a while now since i've had any.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #112
Senior LCF member

Jem-
No TJs near me unfortunately, but I don't mind ordering from Netrition because I feel that I 'owe' them since they sponsor this board. And I used to order a lot of low carb things from them before I stopped eating anything processed or with artificial sweeteners. I was really happy to find something that I can order

They have the best service in the world, and shipping is only 4.95 regardless of how much you order. To make it worthwhile, I ordered 2 jars of almond butter and 2 of macademia nut butter. Now the challenge will be to ration them carefully so that I don't go overboard!
Old 10-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Jem-
I have given up pb, since it's not 'primal.' Actually, I had read some time ago that peanuts are not good for hypothyroids, so I'm happy to give it up--although I really love it.

I got used to almond butter, and I just ordered some macadamia butter to try that. The prices from Netrition are so much less than my supermarket for this natural stuff.
OMG - You said macadamia butter! That stuff is SO sinfully good! Sure did eat the whole jar up (as usual). No more nut butters for me. I cannot be trusted in the same house with that stuff. I'm down to raw walnuts now. I overeat those too, but I'm just trying to deal with it because I want nuts in my diet and walnuts have the omega 3s.

Ya'll are right about those Lara bars being higher carb than most of us would normally eat (including me). I really only eat them for pre-race nutrition if the race is going to be more than an hour.

I had a breakthrough today! I finally threw out the splenda AND the stevia!!! And I feel liberated. I think that was my last pacifier. I kept holding on to sweeteners in my coffee and tea.

I just finished reading Neanderthin. And I don't recall finding anything in this book that I thought was off base! I've read a lot of low-carb books and Paleo for Athletes; but this one tops my list for making the most sense to me.

I feel like I can move forward more effortlessly now.

So moving away from Atkins, I have given up all grains, all dairy, peanut butter, vinegar (except for organic ACV), splenda and stevia, diet sodas, crystal light etc; and of course no sugars, starches or processed foods.

I feel good.

Edit: OH WOW! I just looked at the YOU BAR website!

Last edited by maria40nc; 10-11-2009 at 02:32 PM..
Old 10-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

still have my Neanderthin and i still go back and read it once in a while. love it. the simplicity, yes.
now that man had an apetite!!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #115
Senior LCF member

My YouBars!

I posted a while ago that I had ordered 'custom' bars to use when I travel, and I promised to report on the result. They arrived today.

They are so incredibly delicious--better than any of the 'protein bars' I've ever had.

I got to choose all the ingredients, and my goal was to choose only natural things, no additives or questionable ingredients.

I included whey powder because it was the only way to get the amount of protein that I wanted for these bars that will be meal replacements for me, but everything else is completely natural--dates, almond butter, almonds, walnuts, unsweetened cocoa, and cinnamon.

They came to 167 cal, 9g net carbs (dates are used as sweetener; no sugar or any artifical sweetener), 10g fat, and 10g protein.

Once I chose my ingredients, I had the choice of a small, average, or large bar. To keep the calories down, I chose the average, and it's a decent size.
The one I had this afternoon with my tea (to taste them) was satisfying and didn't seem to spike my insulin (my point in staying under 10g carbs).

It's really good to know I can have something when I'm traveling so that I don't have to rely on junk. I used to bring plain nuts, but in order to get satisfied, the calorie count was too high. I think these will be perfect.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oh, leo, for some reason i thought it was a recipe that you put together in your own kitchen.
how's the price?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #117
Senior LCF member

They cost a LOT. I think my 13 bars (they send one extra) came to about $44 because shipping is $9. Without preservatives, these things have to be shipped express.

But they're worth it to me because I don't travel that much, and I only intend to use them for travel. I got them now to try them out because I have a 4-day trip coming up in 2 weeks. But in Feb., I'm going on a cruise to Hawaii, and I want to have them for the plane to LA but also for "breakfast" on the cruise. With my meds, I like to eat as soon as I get up, and I can get room service on the ship for breakfast, but it's just coffee and carby stuff like muffins. This way I can enjoy my coffee with a bar.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Leo, I wonder if you could have requested egg white based protein powder in lieu of the whey? I noticed egg white protein was an option for the shakes, so I imagine it could be requested for the bars where it has that space for special request.

Brian (Batlou) here on our forum makes homemade Lara Bars. Here is the recipe:

Enlightened Cooking: Homemade Lara-Type Bars (energy bars part 3)

I bet we could concoct our own lower carb version just by looking at the YOU bar website selections and playing around with the ingredients.

(sigh) but alas... I know if I ever made such a thing, I would goggle it all up in one sitting.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #119
Senior LCF member

Maria-

Thanks for the suggestion. I already e-mailed them to ask about reducing the amount of dates in the next batch because they are a little sweet for me, and I'd like to reduce the carbs. Joel (who responded) invited me to call when I next want to order, and we can 'tweak' the recipe over the phone. I like the idea of egg white instead of whey, and I'll keep that in mind.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #120
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: perlchyk
Stats: 192/159.2/155
WOE: HCG R2P2
Start Date: July 4, 2009
Let me know what they say about the dates thing.

The very high fructose content in dates is a concern for me. I really only eat bars when backpacking, but I do wind up eating them in the evening, and if I'm not burning off the sugar...
perlchyk is offline   Reply With Quote