Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/121/115
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
Well I'm 43... so not far behind you. And I FEEL GOOD!!!

Speed skating sounds fun! How long have you been doing it?

Two months ago, my chiropractor mentioned that he did a Triathlon which gave me the bright idea to do one. My first Triathlon is next week! Ok, so I didn't give myself much time to train, but it is a small Sprint Tri; 250 yard swim (in pool), 9 mile bike, 5K.

I signed up for swim lessons on July 7 and finished the class just tonight. Hope I don't drown!

I'm hoping to really double up my fitness routine afterwards so I can start working towards another Sprint Tri (maybe) at the beginning of October and a 10K (for sure) at the end of October. But I won't feel I've truly made it until I do an open water Tri.

I can't wait to get better...
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2009, 07:22 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lemming
Yeah, there's nothing more fun than working hard toward a goal in an activity you love! I started speedskating about 15 years ago, did it for 3-4 years, got married, DH and I started playing a lot of broomball so I didn't have time for skating. THen in 2000 I hurt my back playing broomball, so I quit playing broomball and started skating again. I've only been super serious the past 3 years, though...

Did you watch the Ironman on TV recently? I love the inspirational stories about the 72 year old lady, the guy with the prosthetic leg, etc...

Good luck next week--let us know how you do! I'm heading to Calgary on Wednesday for a race...it will be interesting to try to stay Paleo when I'm living out of a hotel room and can't get to a grocery store! (Plus, my usual pre-race meals, in the past, were McDonald's--not sure what I'm going to do about that!)
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #63

Gallery: Mootzee
Stats: Hoo boy!
WOE: Paleodiet
Start Date: Aug 2009 (and another restart)
Doctor put me on the paleo diet about 3 weeks ago. I really thought adding back in the fruit would bring back the cravings but it hasn't. I've made sure that I have my fruit with a protein though and I think that is what helps. I know I'm not supposed to be having any dairy but I still sneak a piece of cheese every other day or so. Staying away from dairy is harder than staying away from grains for me.

No weight loss but I have some metabolic issues. I'm just glad I'm not gaining.

"If he's looking for chamomile and I'm orange zinger....so what? There's SOMEBODY out there who will appreciate how celestial my seasonings are!!! " Rebecca/trflgrl

Dance like no one who could have you committed is watching.
Mootzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Mootzee - Good to see the diet is endorsed by your doctor! I've done well with no dairy all week except that I must have a T of half & half in my coffee. I'm still a bit leary of fruit myself, but I've been eating small granny smith apples so far.

I still haven't received my book! And I wondered why, so I went online to check the order status and could not find it. Seems I must not have placed the order afterall! I must have not clicked all the way through to the order completion I guess. So, I tried it again and it is definitely on the way.

I hope it comes before I go out of town Saturday so I can take it with me.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #65

I'm starting to see the scale inch down which is a breakthrough for me. My metabolism has been messed up this past year. I hope that this continues.

It's weird but being on this WOE, I don't miss eating the processed foods at all. We went to a farmer's market yesterday and it was so easy to shop because I knew I could buy fruits, veggies and meats. Nothing to guess at.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

My book came Friday but I've been too busy to read it! I did start on it though. I've done really well with no dairy products (other than half & half in my coffee).

I've eaten some peanut butter. Not sure how I feel about giving it up. Peanut butter is somewhat of a trigger food for me, so likely I would be better off without it. It's just SO GOOD, it's hard to give up. I've tried almond butter and was unimpressed. I wonder what other nut butters there are that would be acceptable?

I've not added much fruit yet other than small granny smith apples. I had a banana for the first time in... in... hmmm, maybe a year? Slowly but surely...
Old 08-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #67

Add the fruits one at a time. That way you can see if any trigger cravings. I've had to stop eating raisins. Not a huge trigger but enough for me to notice that I'm wanting to eat.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:29 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
Hah, Maria...are you following me. I saw a reference on the Beginner Triathlete board to the Paleo Diet for Athletes and bought the book last weekend. Kids are starting back to school this week and it's been a little hectic so I have not had much time to read it yet. But as I get closer to my goal I am looking for ways to ease more fruits into my diet. I was planning to just follow right along the Atkins path and I may still do that but I figure it never hurts to read differing opinions. The only thing that I might struggle with on this type of plan is no dairy. I like my cheese and yogurt.

I saw your comment about a bannana and I have not had one in a very, very long time. I was thinking of trying one the morning of my next race with some Almond Butter (I like it). I read somewhere that cramps are typically the result of low potassium levels which I have struggled to get enough of since I started this diet. A pre-race banana would certainly give it a boost.

OK, I will be curious to hear what your opinions are regarding this as it's difficult to find endurance athletes that think anything less than a pound of pasta pre-race day is not enough. ughh. For me there is just way to much evidence that high levels of glucose in the blood stream can have long term detrimental effects on your arterial system and organs. I'll pass on the pasta but carefully selected fruits and vegitables sound like a good idea. Plus I saw that butternut squash is a good vegitable for carbohyrates and I love butternut squash.

LCF - Journal
The Urban Primate - My Journey to Better Health
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Following you?!? Hey, who was in here first??? It's all good, because we have a lot of the same goals and beliefs about food.

I meant to mention to you that I bought this book and am finding it very interesting. I've not had time to really get into it yet either, but like you... I appreciate differing opinions (whether I follow it or not). I had gone ahead and cut out dairy two or three weeks ago and am fine with it. Peanut butter on the other hand..... <nom, nom, nom>

I never did add grains back in and have no intention of doing it now. Bread, grains, pasta, flour, are simply not an option whether they are brown or not. I'm with you on adding a few more fruits in gradually. Mainly I've only had strawberries, blueberries, and a few small granny smith apples.

As for that banana... let me tell you I was hesitant! I had not had a banana in over a year! I was going to cut it in half, but ended up eating the whole thing <quite guiltily>. It did not affect my weight at all. And I never had a Larabar before either. I've tried almond butter, but it was bland to me compared to peanut butter. I may give it another try. And yes on the potassium. That's exactly why I take a separate potassium supplement with my regular vitamins.

I admit I saw your low carb thread attempts in the other forum. I got scared and decided not to post! No, they are not very open to the idea. The Paleo thread over there looks split between those who love it and those who think it is a bunch of hooooey!

I did try an energy gel gummy, but not sure how I feel about that yet. And I did use the Nuun. I forgot it was in my water so my first swig was . But I did like it once I gave it a shake.

Paleo for athletes seems to be geared towards workouts getting over 90 min or 2 hours (maybe really long bike rides?); so I don't think I even need any major adjustments just yet other than the nuun. Currently I work out about an hour in the moning and and another hour in the evening; and do a longer bike/run brick on Sunday.

I'll let ya know how I feel about the book once I get into it more.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

I was only having fun regarding how you have been stalking me. Actually I think it's very cute. heh...kidding again obviously.

So you saw me getting abused on the other forum and did not jump in. Left me for dead lying in a ditch, huh. lol. I did find it humorous how people over there were so passionately against my food choices. It's not like I am or ever plan to compete at the level of Lance Armstrong or anything. I saw another thread over there today and they were jabbing someone for choosing to use Mountain bike shoes because they are heavier than Tri shoes. As if 100 grams is going to make some huge difference to a "Average Joe" triathlete.

I have not ventured to read the Paleo thread all the way yet but I will go through it at some point. My logic is that somewhere between paleo and atkins there is a long term sustainable diet that will provide enough energy to compete in 4+ hour events going all out while still not damaging my arteries and organs with a barrage of sugars, nutritionally void vegetables like potato's and/or grains.

I am going to try the banana with a little almond butter for sure and also include plenty of guilt and remorse I am sure. Leaving for Indy on Saturday morning and will race on Sunday. I can’t wait.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #71
AmyNVegas

Gallery: AmyNVegas
New to Paleo

I tried several low carb options and bombed miserably over many years. So I just read the Paleo Diet by Cordain and I am going to give it a try. Wish me luck!
Amy
Old 08-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

I still have not had the opportunity to read it all. Hopefully I can find time this week to read it and get started soon. I will be interested in your progress. Curious though as to why you said you failed miserably on other low carb options? What went wrong?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

I've still not had time for my book either. But all I had to do was cut out dairy and I think I'm pretty much there already.

I still use ACV and OO on my salads and I still use mayo (usually homemade). I won't give up my half & half in my coffee; but otherwise it seems easy enough. I've cut out the artificial sweeteners that I used to use in my coffee and now use stevia.

And get this..... I actually ate both a granny smith apple AND strawberries! All in one day! I need to get over my fear of fruit.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

OK, so here is my diet from yesterday and I think this is pretty close to a Paleo type diet.

Yesterday
Breakfast: 2 Bacon Strips, 2 Eggs
Lunch: Chicken Salad (Mayo, Dill, Celery, Salt, Pepper), 1 Cup Baby Spinach, 1/2 Avocado
Snack: 5 Strawberries, Carb Master Yogurt
Dinner: Taco Salad (Ground Beef, Spices, Leaf Lettuce, Cheese, Jalapeno's, Salsa, Sour Cream)

Hmm...now that I type it out I see the following trouble spots.
Salt with Eggs and Ground Beef
Cheese
Yogurt
Sour Cream

Today
Breakfast: 2 Eggs
Lunch: Flatout Artisan Flatbread with Chicken Salad and Baby Spinach, 1/2 Avocado sliced covered with 1 oz feta cheese and Chulula hot sauce.
Snack: Strawberries (I guess plain *$&*!)
Dinner: Blackened Grilled Chicken, Stuffed Peppers (Cream Cheese and Bacon), Green Beans

So I already ate the Artisan Bread (9 Net Carbs) so it's too late for that. I really like my afternoon snack of Yogurt. I guess I might add almonds instead? Perhaps after I finish the book and eat what is left of the yogurt.

Last edited by batlou; 08-20-2009 at 09:49 AM..
Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Food blogging hmmm... haven't done that in awhile. Good idea.

2 coffee w/ half & half & stevia (don't dare take away my coffee cream!)
3 eggs scrambled with broccoli in olive oil, salt pepper
tea w/ stevia
granny smith apple
walnuts (way too many)
tea w/ stevia
tuna salad (tuna, celery, onion, mayo, mustard, salt, pepper)
spinach, lettuce & tomato salad w/ ACV and OO, salt pepper
Diet Squirt (non-Paleo, but sure was refreshing after hot lunch hour walk)
chicken breast
celery sticks
tea w/ stevia
tea w/ stevia yet again (I know, I drink a lot of tea)
salmon fillet and 2 over medium eggs in olive oil/butter
almonds (way too many of those too)
strawberries

I can't really put breakfast, lunch, dinner, because I eat all day!

Well... peanut butter is not Paleo and since I ate 3 jars of it last week, I think it best to nix it from diet anyway. I obviously can't be trusted anywhere near a jar of peanut butter. Maybe I'll give almond butter another chance.

Last edited by Maria527; 08-20-2009 at 12:54 PM..
Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

I got home and the chicken was not thawed yet so I made zoodles with meat sauce instead then made regular noodles for the rest of the family. Will do the chicken tonight and I read about Jacimi root yesterday to use for shells similar to a taco. Picked one up last night and will slice and stuff with blackened chicken, spinach and cheese.

Yesterday
Breakfast: 2 Eggs
Lunch: Flatout Artisan Flatbread with Chicken Salad and Baby Spinach, 1/2 Avocado sliced covered with 1 oz feta cheese and Chulula hot sauce.
Snack: Strawberries (I guess plain *$&*!)
Snack: Atkins Bar...I know, I know
Dinner: Zoodles(Peeled Zucchini) and Mushrooms with Spaghetti Sauce and Parmisan

Planned Today
Breakfast: 2 Bacon Strips, 2 Eggs, 1 Carbolose Biscuit
Lunch: Flatout Artisan Flatbread with Chicken Salad and Baby Spinach, 1/2 Avocado sliced (maybe cover with basil and EVO?)
Snack: No Idea, thinking of maybe picking up a peach during at the store and eat along with some almonds.
Dinner: Jacimi Tacos (Jacimi Shell, Blackened Grilled Chicken, Spinach and Cheese), Stuffed Peppers (Cream Cheese and Bacon)

So today's issues will be with the Cheese on the Tacos and the cream cheese in the peppers. Oh yes and the artison bread. Crap...this Paleo stuff is going to be hard to get used to.

Last edited by batlou; 08-21-2009 at 05:56 AM..
Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria40nc View Post
Well... peanut butter is not Paleo and since I ate 3 jars of it last week, I think it best to nix it from diet anyway. I obviously can't be trusted anywhere near a jar of peanut butter. Maybe I'll give almond butter another chance.

Yup, peanut butter is a major trigger food for me which is why I switched to almond butter. Not as good as peanut butter but the plus side is that I will not go through 3 jars in a week because of it. I have had the same 20 oz or so jar from Costco now for 4 months or so.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

There are tons of Paleo websites out there but this one has a quick list of acceptable vs unacceptable foods:

Paleodiet Foods

Lean meat? I'm used to fatty meat. And no butter? Hmmm... will have to ponder that one. I have a ton of it in my freezer. Makes for good slice and eat snacks.. lol.

I think I'm good without the other dairy stuff because quite honestly I have issues with dairy products in addition to the peanut butter problem.

16 oz Fage yogurt? That's one serving. Quit buying it, but discovered sour cream taste very similar. 16 ozs sour cream? Gone. Cream cheese? Same thing. Regular cheese I do ok with, but I think I can live without it.

Some of this diet goes against my beliefs. I JUST LEARNED to get over my fear of fat!!! Now Paleo cuts it back again. I dunno.

Maybe it's a matter of slowly transitioning, rather than going cold turkey. Maybe reading the book will make a lightbulb go on. I really do like the idea of this diet, just need to get over a few bumps.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #79
AmyNVegas

Paleo

I failed miserably on other low cab because I could not get through the initial phase except for carb addicts which I did well for a while then life got crazy and I stopped prepping but that was in 1998. Well so far this week I have lost 4 pounds. I usually lose big at first then after about 4 weeks I plateau and then gain because I get frustrated. I guess time will tell with this one. I like the variety though.

I didn't give up my half n half I can't drink my coffee without it and I love my coffee. I figure one cup of coffee each morning with a few TBSP of it won't totally derail me. I have also been eating 2% mozarella sticks this week. I figure I must be doing it mostly right though because I have lost.

The book is worth reading it flows well. There is another version of Paleo "The Primal Blueprint" which calls for an 80-20 ratio of Paleo to non-Paleo meals. It also allows some dairy. I tried to find it at the library but they do not have it yet. Probably will be a month or so. I'll have to check out that Paleo foods site. Thanks for the link!
Amy
Old 08-22-2009, 12:51 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Amy - Wow! Great start! Those plataeus are discouraging. The only thing that "unstuck" me was doing the meat and egg fast. I had amazing results with that and still incorporate once in awhile if my weight starts sneaking up. Since I tend to have some minor binge/portion control issues.. doing just meat and eggs for a few days helps me regain balance both mentally and physically.

I do see a lot of room for tweaks in this diet; I just don't want to tweak it so much that it's no longer Paleo. But at the same time, we each know what we can live with or not. I never did Atkins by the book either, so I guess this is no different. That's why I simply put "low carb" as my WOE under my avatar, because people use that against you if you make comments that aren't by the book of your WOE!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #81
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WaterLily311
Stats: Goal:140
WOE: Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: 2010
I just found out that I am gluten and casein intolerant so I am going Paleo. Exceptions are that I use coconut oil and ghee for cooking.
WaterLily311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:23 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

WaterLily - welcome!

I'm getting farther into the book and slowly converting a few things. Trying to figure out what I can live with and what I can't. But I do believe I'll be giving this WOE a fair shake before I pass too much judgement.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbinChica
Stats: 183/175.7/145
Hi....I'm researching the Paleo diet as I believe it will feel the best for me. (I'm mildly lactose intolerant anyway because I'm a post-op gastric bypass patient)...Please continue posting your menus and what you learn about this diet. Very informative!

I know that the following will be tough to give up:
Butter
Half and Half
Peanut Butter
Peanuts
Cashews
Splenda (stevia is just gross compared to splenda)

I don't need cheese, as I get sort of grossed out drenching everything in a gooey cheesey mess. Butter, though, I can eat plain. :blush:

I think I'm going to try to limit the cheese and creams first and foremost. Also, I'm going to try to switch to organic half n half. I wishhhh Costco would bring in organic half and half but oh well. Any pointers on your successful transitioning over to the Paleolithic diet is welcomed.
LowCarbinChica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbinChica View Post

I know that the following will be tough to give up:
Butter
Half and Half
Peanut Butter
Peanuts
Cashews
Splenda (stevia is just gross compared to splenda)
Girl - You will be surprised! I'm here to tell you it is not as hard to give up as you may think. It's more of a mental block. I'm in a hurry this morning, but i'll come back and post later. You CAN do it!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #85

I gave up my cheese. I agree, Maria, it's more of a mental block. As a result, I'm losing steadily.

Last edited by Mootzee; 09-15-2009 at 09:18 AM..
Old 09-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #86
AmyNVegas

About 7 weeks on Paleo/Primal Blueprint

Well I have been on the program for about 7 weeks and I have lost 26 pounds since the second week of August. I lost 14 in the first two weeks and have been alternating lose a week then plateau a week since then. The last 2 weeks I plateaud but then this week I am down 5 pounds since Tuesday. I have gone a little more Primal than Paleo this week and I think the higher fat(healthy fats) has really helped get me started again since I wasn't getting enough calories in with Paleo. Primal allows cheese and a few other things Paleo does not. But overall I think I have finally found something that will work in the long haul. I still have 170 to lose but I've lost 185 so I know I can do the rest. I found a really good website Mark's Daily Apple, it's free if you all want to check it out it is maintained by the author of Primal Blueprint. It has some really great recipes.
Amy
Old 09-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for the website Amy! Yea.. the Paleo for Athletes book was all lean meat and I'm not going to do that. I'm keeping my fat level up.

Going to read Neanderthin next.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Suscribing to the thread - have enjoyed reading so far.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: perlchyk
Stats: 192/159.2/155
WOE: HCG R2P2
Start Date: July 4, 2009
I've also subscribed and I'm reading.
perlchyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:59 AM   #90
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: perlchyk
Stats: 192/159.2/155
WOE: HCG R2P2
Start Date: July 4, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLily311 View Post
I just found out that I am gluten and casein intolerant so I am going Paleo. Exceptions are that I use coconut oil and ghee for cooking.
I'm confused.

How is coconut oil not paleo?

Modern Hunter/Gatherer tribes are still using it!
perlchyk is offline   Reply With Quote