Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laura in Arizona
WOE: Paleo/Protein Power
Start Date: June 6 2008
Hi and

There is a ton of good info here at LCF. Glad to find someone else doing a paleo type diet. Are you following a specific book or just incorporating the paleo principals to your LC diet?
Laura in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: A_New_Life
Stats: 318/318/199
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 06/30/14
I myself am incorporating the paleo principals, but im totally new and still learning..
A_New_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

I found doing things one step at a time is best, rather than changing everything all at once then feeling overwhelmed. Because I was already doing low carb I had already pretty much given up sugar, grains, corn, potatoes etc. But I love green beans (a legume and therefore full of lectins and not paleo) but I was not ready to give those up. So I kept eating them until I found other things I love just as much. Right now I am crazy for spinach, kale and summer squash and they are my vegetables of choice (along with my usual loves of broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, asparagus etc).

I have a breakfast shake during the workweek and it used to have tofu in it for protein. Then I switched to protein powder, now I use eggs. I used to use splenda but now have found a pinch of stevia or a dab of honey/maple syrup works just fine for the few things I want a little sweeter.

I was consuming quite a bit of dairy and have knocked it down to occasional indulgences now. I find that as I make these changes and adjust to them, after a while they become normal for me. I think that is the key to permanent changes in my way of eating and my way of life.

Best wishes on your healing journey.

34 pounds gone, 28.5 to go
Old 06-04-2009, 02:54 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CramerNH
Hi!
Im new to the whole website and LC/Paleo in general

I am being advised to consider Paleo because of recently discovering food sensitivities.

Ive been dairy free for two years - about 3-4 months ago I started reacting to the way Beef was affecting me - so I no longer consume anything related to the Cow LOL!

Lately though, for the past, Id say 6 months.. a normal portioned serving of carbs would be ok for the next person -they wouldnt have a carb headache.. but for me - I get stomach pains, a carb headache so bad that I cant stay awake - I am near comatose...literally... the look on my Dermatologist's face and the next thing, I had to have all kinds of blood work and, he gave me the title of The Paleo Diet to read.

Its interesting to me really and right now - Im only having carbs at my breakfast - lunch and dinner are strictly paleo... Trying to test myself where things are going..

Luckily, working in the medical field for almost 14 years, the doctors and clinicians know to take me seriously because of the relationship I have. Heck, my last Blood work BOTH my dermatologist and I were reviewing what I should have done (like looking at a menu together! HAHAHAH)

I hope to make new e-friends here, help out, receive help, and all that good stuff..
CramerNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:37 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
The paleo is definitely good for your skin, I used to have very bad psoriasis, it was psoriasis but really the skin on the affected areas looked more like leprosy!! Now I'm completely healed, and the skin in those areas looks like 'virgin', that no psoriasis ever touched it!!
So I'd definitely advise yout og ive it a go, lol!
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Hi Cramer and
You are lucky to have a good relationship with your MD. I always look at the MD/patient relationship like a partnership - like you said, two heads looking at the figures. Good luck on getting things figured out. Boy, I would be in trouble if I found out I was allergic to beef! I am working on giving up dairy now. I used to have cheese daily, sometimes three times a day. Now I might have a little once a week or so. I am just learning like you but I'm happy to help where I can.

PaleoRainy,
Clearing your psoriasis is quite a good testimonial for Paleo. How long did it take before you started to notice improvement and how long for it to clear? I don't have any skin problems but I have noticed that my skin looks better - more even tone, softer, younger. Of course I don't know how much of that is due to LC, how much to increased fat soluble vitamins (A, D3, K2) or other variables. But it is enough that people I know comment on the change.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

He has been a great guy - from time to time though he gets his usual stinker-attitude up saying I shouldnt have to cook two meals - I told him that there is no reason why he cant enjoy the things he likes - and I absolutely love cooking - so many years as a Specialty chef and I love every moment I have in the kitchen too!

Like - tonight I made homemade Beef Lo-Mein for hubby and Ariel. For me, I made buffalo chicken with a garden salad with surprisingly enough - Ken's Italian is only 1g of carbs.. I didnt use the full serving but, MAN, it tasted so good to have the REAL STUFF... and DF too!

Tomorrow (for Tuesday 6-9-09) - Ive got a nice Mediterranean chicken tenderloin dinner planned - will do roasted red potatoes with olive oil-garlic and chives with steamed carrots for them - I can have the chicken, but will have the steamed carrots and perhaps some asparagus to go with it....

My husband means well and I know he does, but he is who he is... and I just calmly remind him that cooking an additional veggie isnt a heck of alot, or cooking another meat.. everything is heated up, so Im simply using the nice pots and pans I have to cook up a nice meal...

My Dermatologist? OH MY GAWD - I am SOO ready to adopt him and take him home. LOL

Good news recently came in too - Thursday I get to meet with my Physician Asst to get me some food-alergy tests going!!! I dont care how many needles, I just want this done...
Old 06-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #38

Gallery: inspirit
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet-Lacto Ovo Vegetarian
Start Date: 5/25/09
I am interested in Paleo and bought the book by cordain. This thread looks kind of quiet. Think I'll go back and read all the posts to see what I've missed.
inspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
i decided to give up dairy which leaves me eating paleo, again....when i came around from raw vegan i added meat and stayed paleo for quite a while. that was years ago.
then added yogurt and in the past year have eaten more dairy than ever in my life.
i decided to eliminate it to see if i could regain some energy, etc.
so yesterday was the first day and yes, i was hungry a couple times and had to stop and think since i can't just run to the fridge and cut off a hunk of cheese....dairy has been a huge convenience food for me.

my non paleo foods were black coffee and some shoyu in my evening stir fry. not bad.

i think that cordain's plan is hard because of the lack of salt and fat at the same time. if you are accustomed to more flavor this could be the deal breaker.
i was reading this guy dan's site about doing it for acne (i think) and he found it really boring so e mailed cordain, who said that he could add some salt and eat fattier meats.

one does not have to be that strict in those areas. i also feel that after you have followed this that you're taste will become more keen and you will automatically need less seasoning.....maybe not none, but less.
i am not concerned about the salt issue, myself.
i do not eat super high fat but am also not afraid of it.

i did make a deal w myself, though; i can eat dairy on the weekends if desired....not go crazy but have some. since my fridge is very low on dairy, it won't be an all out binge.
this way i can also decide it this is an improvement and if dairy (or not) has a noticable effect.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
... i was hungry a couple times and had to stop and think since i can't just run to the fridge and cut off a hunk of cheese....dairy has been a huge convenience food for me.
I went through that too. The first thing I did when I came home from work was have a piece of cheese. Hungry and don't want to cook? piece of cheese. It was my solution when I opened up the refrigerator and stared inside. Now I eat a piece of fruit (I usually have two fruits a day, one in the morning and one when I need a snack). I have also moved away from some of my favorite LC recipes because they contain cheese. Like you I am not saying never so if I am really wanting something I will have it. I have broken the eating a piece of cheese habit and that is good. Good luck on your changes, there are compounds in cheese that make it addicting so it is not easy.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: locarbinaz
Stats: 227/220.6/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 10/24/09
Hi all, I am just starting to read various threads and websites on paleo, and I am thinking it might be for me. I like eating low carb, but I miss fruit and want to eat more natural foods. I think I need to accept the fact that the fast weight loss tricks like induction or meat & eggs are not working for me.

I hope to post more after I educate myself a bit on the topic, but in the meantime, hope everyone is doing well.
locarbinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paleogal
WOE: Paleo Diet
Start Date: 7/4/09
Hi everyone! I have started the Paleo diet today.

I have Loren Cordain's classic book, The Paleo Diet, plus assorted articles/recipes, etc. I have collected from the internet.

Glad to meet you all!
paleogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Hi locarbinaz and paleogal,
Glad to know there are others out there of the same mind as myself. I have Cordain's book as well as Neanderthin but I probably get most of my info from blogs. There are still a lot of things I do wrong (commercial mayo, commercial ranch dressing, dairy etc) but I am moving that way. My disagreement with Cordain is his emphasis on lower fat (although according to his good friend Dr. Eades this is changing) and an emphasis on fruits. I agree with Eades that natural, healthy fats are not a problem. On the other hand I don't believe there would have been wide, year round access to fruits. Right now I am working on decreasing my dairy consumption. How about you'all, what are your challenges right now?
Laura
Old 07-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paleogal
WOE: Paleo Diet
Start Date: 7/4/09
My challenge is to get the salt out of foods. I have gone from relying on LOTS of deli meats, like deli turkey, turkey salami, etc. that are just loaded with sodium. I am having health issues, from years of not eating right, and they are catching up with me. One of them is high blood pressure.

I have gone from using highly salted, processed meats to preparing my own. It is actually very satisfying to cook this way. I have a nifty little book (from my Weight Watchers days) that teaches you the basics, how to braise, sear, pan fry, roast, etc. food. I am braising lean cuts of steak and the braising makes them very tender and succulent.

I have also stopped buying commercial salad dressing, seasonings, etc. Now when I eat something salty it tastes awful to me.

I'd have to say the biggest achievement for me is cutting out the grains. Nothing bloated me as much as grains, even the so-called "healthy" gluten free ones. The only ones I eat now are chia and flax, which are more of a seed than a grain anyway, and which Cordain approves of. Personally, from everything I've read, the majority of fats paleo man ate were lean, with a good ratio of omega 3's to omega 6's. I personally feel better eating lean. And we are allowed those good oils. Personally, I think Cordain does need to revise his vision of coconuts. I believe coconut oil/milk, water is very healthful. He does not. Yet many current hunter/gatherers still rely on coconuts as their healthy fats, and they are much healthier than we are.

So many people say this way of eating is hard. It is no more harder to me than Weight Watchers was, or lowcarbing was, and let's not forget the Zone diet, so very hard to figure out and stick to!

My new mindset is that I'm now eating to live, not living to eat anymore. I want my health back. If I can stick to the other mad diets I've been on in my lifetime, I can certainly stick to this. That said, I'm not going to get neurotic if I eat out and there's salt on my steak or someone sprinkled a little sugar over my fresh fruit cup. I'll just do the best I can, while adhering to the basic principles of the plan.
paleogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lemming
I'm glad to find this thread! I've done LC off and on over the past 9 years...mostly "off" lately (except for sticking to my "no sugar" rule) because I'm working out a lot (I'm a speedskater) and I seem to want more carbs when I'm exercising hard. I want to try the Paleo Diet for Athletes, though, and I just started today. I'm hoping to hear some good ideas for meals, etc., especially breakfast! This morning I made some (hopefully!) Paleo-friendly pancakes--almond meal, protein powder, egg whites, flax, and baking powder (and a little salt--that will be a problem for me, too, but since I don't have high blood pressure it's lower on my list of things to eliminate). I'm pretty sure the sugarfree syrup I put on them wasn't exactly Paleo, but I'm starting slow! Meat is OK for lunch/dinner, but I can't imagine having it for breakfast, so I'm going to have to get creative in the mornings if this is going to work. I've been working on increasing my fruits and vegetables for a couple of weeks, and I'm liking them more now, so that should be OK. I love nuts, so no problem there, but peanut butter will be hard to give up, as will cheese and yogurt. Paleo for Athletes allows carbs (oats, sweet potatoes, etc) before and after workouts, so I have a bit more flexibility there than the standard Paleo allows. I'm anxious to see how the Paleo diet works for you guys, and to share any tips we come up with!
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: locarbinaz
Stats: 227/220.6/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 10/24/09
My challenges are diet soda and portion size. I just can't get through the summer without all the wonderful fruit. I know I overdo the fruit portions (and not eat enough veggies). My 3 year old and I just ate half a watermelon for dinner.
locarbinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Be careful about that Watermelon - LOTS of sugar even though its naturally occuring.

Ever thought about Soda Water? (0's down the nutritional label)...You can add your own fresh fruit to it...

I got rid of soda many years ago thanks to this.. and the mere sip of soda makes me wanna get sick.. its too damn sweet
Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by CramerNH View Post
its too damn sweet
Oh, I thought only my taste changed, I cannot stand those anymore, I used to eat sugarfree jam (fruit only), I get nausea now if I try even just a bit, lol. I must have lost all the taste for sugars, which is good though, if it gives me nausea, it doesn't attract me to cheat.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoRainy View Post
Oh, I thought only my taste changed, I cannot stand those anymore, I used to eat sugarfree jam (fruit only), I get nausea now if I try even just a bit, lol. I must have lost all the taste for sugars, which is good though, if it gives me nausea, it doesn't attract me to cheat.
I do ok with the regular fruits.. strawberries, canteloupe, wild berries, but as-is... but Watermelon - dear god, just kill me now... lol
Old 07-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

RE sweet stuff. Since doing low carb/paleo I have found that almonds are really sweet tasting to me. Elizabeth on her caveman food blog had a recipe for almond crackers (Caveman Food: Search results for almond crackers). I made them (and Ooohhh are they good! Just almonds, egg white and a bit of salt) but I also noticed that they were almost sweet tasting.

I think the thing lots of people don't realize that you adapt to what you eat. People day "oh, I could never live without my xyz." But as you eat healthier and less refined foods you discover (at least I sure did) that the stuff you pined away over really tastes like crap. End of craving. Now I crave things like a good fresh cucumber or a few baby carrots. Rarely do I crave sweet things. This only happens when I start eating too many carbs, then I start craving carbs and start thinking about bready things. I just eat really clean for a while and then don't think about it any more.

Glad there are a few other people out here in low carb land that are interested in paleo.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Laura, interesting that you should say that. I've been doing semi-Paleo for Athletes for a couple weeks (I eat some LC products, and occasional dairy/peanuts, in addition to a non-paleo meal once or twice a week). What I've found is similar to what you said--the stuff I used to crave/binge on is the dairy, sweets (sugarfree now), grains, potato products, etc. In short, all the non-paleo stuff is the stuff that I "can't get enough of"--but once you start eating more "real" food, you realize that the "real" stuff actually TASTES BETTER, and doesn't leave you craving more. I eat an oreo, it's not that good, but I want 10 more. I eat an apple or some nuts or whatever...they taste better, and yet I don't want to binge on more after they're gone...

Unfortunately, the urget to eat the "bad stuff" still comes back at times...but less often, so that's definitely progress! I think I like this way of eating (and it's helpful that the Paleo for Athletes does allow grains/potatoes/etc before and after workouts, so I have the opportunity for more variety than the regular Paleo diet affords, which I think will help me be able to stick with it.)
Old 07-22-2009, 02:34 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
Meat is OK for lunch/dinner, but I can't imagine having it for breakfast, so I'm going to have to get creative in the mornings if this is going to work.

To be quite honest, I have been doing that since I was about 16 - I cant do cereals, or any of the 'bread' related breakfast foods - I end up damn near falling asleep in front of the wheel...

Generally a meat-related breakfast for me would be like these:

1.) Side of Baked Ham, sauteed mushrooms-onions-peppers, two eggs, side of fresh cucumbers sliced (I need a crunch so here ya go)

2.) Side of Canadian Bacon, sauteed sundried tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, artichokes, two eggs, sliced canteloupe (need something sweet when you have canadian bacon to help give it balance)

3.) Egg-white Omelette LOADED with vegetables and a side of fresh cooked either Salmon or Tuna

I use alot of different spices, herbs and of course EVOO, and make my own marinades as well.

There are days I will have last night's leftovers for breakfast...
Old 07-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/121/115
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
Hello everyone! Just wanted to subscribe for now until I have time to go back and read your thread. I'm not an athlete, but I've become MUCH more active with running, biking, swimming, and hand weights. So I'm starting to rethink my nutritional needs. I just ordered the book yesterday and can't wait to read it!

I bet this diet is so easy a caveman can do it!!!

I'm fairly close to this already... just need to ditch the cheese and add more fruit.
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bluelips
Stats: 246/243.6/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 23, 2012
Can any of you tell me how your weight loss has come along since switching Paleo?

Thanks~
bluelips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: iheartcheese
I just joined this board, but I'm REstarting low carb after falling hard off the

wagon:P I've been debating between Atkins (worked for me in the past) and Paleo. I'm thinking I'll do something in between. A page i found helpful, and kinda condenses down what paleo is about is here:

Paleo (Neanderthin) introduction

This person talks about eating dairy too, even though it's not considered Paleo. To me, it's alot like Atkins ongoing weight loss, with maybe a bit more fruit and no "packaged" type foods, although I know alot of people on atkins don't use pre packaged foods either.

In the past I've relied a ton on cheese while low carbing, because it's easy. I figured maybe raw nuts and seeds might be a better convience food than cheese. Also, I've always wanted to make pemmican, lol.

I got the above link from here:

Paleolithic Diet Page (Paleo Diet, Caveman Diet, Hunter/Gatherer Diet)

There are a TON of links and different people's versions of Paleo type diets. I couldn't make it thru most of them, but I added it just in case. There's some recipes there too, which is what I usually look at anyway.
iheartcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:07 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks iheartcheese for the info. I really like the idea of the Paleo diet but was thinking of a few tweeks myself. I wasn't sure how "hard core" Paleo people are! I guess it's the same with Atkins folks, some are by the book and some are tweekers.

I haven't received my book in the mail yet but I'm anxiously awaiting. And it is VERY similar to what I already do except to get rid of dairy and add more fruit. I've become much more active with fitness and feel I may need the carbs from the extra fruit.

But I won't give up my coffee with half & half and davinci syrup. And I might like to include a bit of peanut butter on heavy workout days if I can handle it. (I'm known for eating the entire jar with a spoon.)

I'm not sure about other differences, but I'll check out those links while I wait for my book!

Last edited by Maria527; 07-28-2009 at 03:08 AM..
Old 07-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: iheartcheese
Yeah, from what I've read there are some ppl that aren't completely by the book

and I wouldn't be either. I, too, love my coffee with cream/half and half, and don't want to give it up. And as my monicker suggests, I love cheese, lol. I have some digestion problems with cheese, though, so I should really cut it out or at least dramatically cut back.

I think I want to order Neanderthin and read into it some more, though. I always like books more than the internet for some reason.
iheartcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:16 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Bluelips,
I had about 8 pounds that I wanted to lose...I'd gained them over the course of 6 months or so, despite doing heavy workouts 4-5 times a week. I tried limiting my calories to 2000 a day for a couple of months, with no results (this was with eating moderate carb/no sugar). I switched to the Paleo for Athletes 3 weeks ago, and have now lost 7 of the 8 pounds, while still eating 2000 calories a day. I'm definitely not "by the book" on the Paleo--I eat bacon regularly, drink some diet pop daily, make a lot of breakfast breads with almond flour and flax seed, eat mayo and vinegar, use salt, eat some LC protein bars, etc. So, what part of the diet do I follow? I try to stick with meat/eggs/veggies/fruit/nuts on non-workout days, then add the allowed whole grains and other higher-carb foods before and after workouts. I rarely eat dairy or peanuts. I do have on or two non-Paleo meals a week (pizza, etc). My workouts are going great despite the lowered carbs. I really wonder if eliminating dairy has had some effect on the weight loss, because I've never lost this rapidly before, even when doing much lower carb...
Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Lemming - that was insightful! I eat about the same as you (with the excpetion of grains and pizza). I do like an occasional diet soda, flax muffin, vinegar, mayo, salt, bacon etc...

I'm still waiting for my Paleo for Athletes book; but in the meantime I've cut out dairy except for half & half in my coffee.

May I ask you to share your workout routine?

I'm training for a Triathlon, so my fitness routine has increased quite a bit. Just trying to balance everything, including nutrition!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I'm a speedskater, so my workouts are all geared towards maximum speed in the 3 and 5-kilometer events. Typically, November-February I have a 90 minute skating workout Tuesday (endurance work), Wednesday (tempo/speed work) and Thursday (interval work) nights, with races on Saturday and/or Sunday, and (ideally) 20 minutes of yoga and 10 minutes of light stationary bike spinning after the workouts. March is the "off" month, then April and May are 2-3 60 minute "dryland" (exercises that simulate skating, only wearing shoes) workouts a week, plus an inline skate or bike endurance workout on the weekend--and, of course, yoga. June-October is similar to the winter months, with 3 skating workouts on the track a week--but inline rather than ice skating, and the emphasis is on higher volume/lower intensity, because it's not race season. Since I'm 45, I'm really careful about eating, stretching, etc to aid muscle recovery--and I have a great coach who is able to design my workouts for maximum gain with minimum injury!

What length tri are you training for? I used to be a runner, but my swimming REALLY sucks, so a tri is probalby not gonna happen for me!