Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pepperanne
I'm trying out the Fat Fast

I lost some weight on Medifast last year and quit before I reached my goal. For several months I ate low-ish carb (sort of an 80/20 paleo) to maintain. I'm a chronic yo-yo dieter and finally found a way of eating I can stick to long term! Unfortunately I hadn't reached my goal weight yet and through additional dieting attempts I gained almost 10 pounds back. Dieting causes weight gain, who knew?

I've attempted many low carb diets over the past 10 years. While I feel better health-wise on Atkins or similar, I have a really tough time with cravings and getting my calories low enough lose weight. I need a strict plan with low calories, so the fat fast seemed like a good option. I'm starting this thread to keep myself accountable and to journal my experience for the benefit of others. I'll post at least once per day.

My starting stats
146 pounds
33% body fat

I'm female, 30 years old with no major health concerns. However, years of chronic dieting and binge eating has taken its toll on my body and I am now sensitive to grains/sugar.

How the plan works
5 days 1,000 calories spread over 5 meals per day, 90% fat

Hitting 90% fat will be a struggle, but as long as I stay near 1000 cals, I'll be okay with 80%. My intention is to get into ketosis and reduce cravings quickly so I can follow a different low carb weight loss plan, then transition back to my lifetime eating plan.

Really excited to begin! Today is Day 1.
pepperanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
I did the fat fast a few months back for 3 days. I actually liked it and enjoyed the food. Let us know how it is going for you.

Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: rene50
Stats: snug sz 16/comfy sz 14/ comfy sz 12 5"8'
WOE: LC
Start Date: 02-13-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperanne View Post
How the plan works
5 days 1,000 calories spread over 5 meals per day, 90% fat
Sounds brutal, but I wish you success!
rene50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/241/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
Welcome and Good luck on your WOE.
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimbersh47
Stats: 5'5" 330/254/149
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: January 2, 2014
What do you eat while doing a fat fast? Butter?! HWC?
Kimbersh47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Good luck. I did a fat fast and lost nothing. Then again, I had the same results with the egg fast. Could be because I had already been doing very low carb (under 25gm of carbs) for about 9 months at the time.

I'm wondering if the egg and fat fast work better with people who are generally higher carb (above 50gm) as a general rule? Just curious.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome to LCF!

I have read and understand that the fat fast is for very metabolically challenged people which you may be??? But it is only recommended for 3 days due to the potential of lean body mass loss due to the low amounts of protein. You should be able to reach ketosis by the end of the 3rd day and add back in some protein.

I finally bought the fat fast cook book by Dana Carpenter and am very happy with it. I got the kindle version so I have it on both my computer and ipad. Very convenient and less than $5.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
I tried the fat fast, according to Dana's guidelines, and lost four pounds in three days, three of which I kept off. Although effective for me, I didn't like eating in a way that was so different than the woe that I'm trying to establish for life.
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Day 1

Meals
Coffee w/ 2 TB half & half, 2 slices thick bacon
4.5 oz avocado
1/2 oz pork rinds and 1/4 cup sour cream dip
1 oz macadamia nuts
Mock cheesecake w/ SF pudding mix, cream cheese, heavy cream, butter, nuts

1100 calories, 78% fat, 11% carbs, 11% protein

Notes
Glad day 1 is over. Had no hunger/craving issues until after dinner, then they were strong! Watched some movies to distract me, but it was tough. I am now in ketosis though, so hopefully today will be a little easier. It really helps to eat 5 meals a day. I was trying to do LC with 3 meals a day previously and the cravings were a lot worse. I am not weighing in until the end of the fast, but I do feel a lot less bloated. My body loves to retain water.

My first day was a little too high carb but at least 12g of it was fiber. I really enjoyed the pork rinds and sour cream dip so I think I'll be making this an occasional meal. Same goes for the cheesecake if I can replace the pudding mix with unflavored gelatin and a few other modifications.

I should also mention that I am supplementing with fish oil, magnesium, potassium, L-glutamine and a probiotic. I need to get my electrolytes in balance and heal my stomach/gut. Hoping the fast can give my digestive system a bit of a break.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Cathy, thanks for the book recommendation and suggestion. I am thinking of transitioning to a higher fat diet overall, so I maypick this up. I am not sure if I am metabolically resistant, but I'm using the fat fast as more of a reset button. As an LC veteran I haven't been very diligent with my food choices. I may start adding some protein back in after a few days once the cravings dissipate.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:52 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/121/115
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
I'm currently doing about 65% fat, 28% protein, and 7% carb at about 1100 to 1200 calories (sometimes a bit higher).

I only have a few pounds to lose, but they are quite stubborn ones for many of the same reasons yours are; i.e. binge eating and inconsistency with diet (and age in my case).

I've had success in the past with the meat/egg fast, but think that a fat fast is likely the healthier option, IMO. It works well if you can stick with it. If push comes to shove on the hunger/cravings, you should most definitely up your calories on the things you are allowing in order to avoid going off on a binge; 1000 calories may be a bit low to maintain. I've been having a glass of water with a heaping tsp of Konsyl fiber as soon as I get home from work to help me feel fuller in the evenings.

Good luck!
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Day 2

Meals
Coffee w/ 2 TB half & half, mock cheesecake
1/2 oz pork rinds and 1/4 cup sour cream dip
5 oz avocado
1 oz macadamia nuts
1 cup seasoned chicken broth w/ 2 TB heavy cream

1042 calories, 80% fat, 12% carbs, 8% protein

Notes
Day 2 was rough! Low energy, headaches, felt like I was going through detox. Glad I waited till I was off work to do this. I don't know whether I was hungry or just had extreme cravings - probably a little bit of both. I am omitting the cheesecake for the rest of the fast just in case it was the aspartame in the pudding mix. I might be eating too many carbs as well. Food tastes wonderful to me now - I savor every last bite. Really enjoyed the broth w/ cream. It dampened the cravings and just felt comforting overall.

My belly has shrunk and I've lost a lot of bloat overall. Woke up this morning feeling okay, if I still feel like crap at the end of the day I will end the fast tomorrow morning.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

I hear you, Maria. I had a lot of carbs/protein creeping into my diet and I think that triggered my cravings. I needed to do something drastic to break that cycle. How do you feel with what you're currently eating? Those are the same ratios and calories I plan to transition to after the fast.

I'll heed your suggestion to add more fat if I feel like I am about to go off the deep end. Switching to the meat/egg fast for the next couple of days sounds really appealing.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:37 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Oh wow, I like the idea of pork rinds with sour cream; I hadn't thought of that. But I'm not sure I can handle it without eating the whole bag of pork rinds and the whole container of sour cream.

I do a lot of chicken broth too, but I make it into an egg soup. I heat 2 cups of broth, whip separately however many eggs I'm allowed that evening (anywhere from 1 - 3), add a splash of lemon juice (and I like hot sauce too). Whip it real good, then ladle some of the hot broth in and keep whipping the eggs to temper them. Then slowly pour the egg mixture into the broth while whisking. It makes a creamy broth with the extra protein/fat from the eggs.

I sometimes throw in leftover chopped chicken, broccoli, or a cup of diced tomatoes depending on what I'm allowed that day. Can add a wack of butter too (but I see you use cream).

To answer your other question about how I feel; to be honest I am low energy right now but I think I just need to give my body more time to adjust. I'm going to stick with the ratio for awhile in hopes of feeling more energetic soon.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Maria527; 07-22-2014 at 05:39 AM..
Old 07-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Day 3

Meals
Coffee w/ 2TB half, 1TB butter, 1TB coconut oil
2 slices thick-cut bacon
Coffee w/ 2TB half, 1TB butter, 1TB coconut oil
1/2 oz pork rinds w/ 2.5oz avocado
1/2 oz pork rinds w/ 2.5oz avocado

1112 calories, 83% fat, 5% carbs, 12% protein

Notes
Woke up early this morning and could really see the difference in the mirror. My belly has flattened a lot and the saddlebags are disappearing from my thighs. Couldn't resist checking the scale - down 3 pounds! I didn't realize I was retaining that much water. So glad to get rid of it.

Tried bulletproof coffee for the first time. I know a lot of people rave about it, but I didn't believe the hype. I love it! It really did keep the hunger at bay and I had a slight burst of energy for a couple of hours after drinking. Cleaned the house yesterday for about 3 hours. I haven't felt like this since weaning off Phentermine.

Then towards the evening I started feeling crappy again. Hungry, low energy, etc. It can't be the calories - I was on Medifast for 10 straight weeks last year at 1000 calories and never felt this bad. So it must be either keto-adaption or a lack of sodium/potassium. Guessing more of the latter because I chugged the water yesterday. I've been using lite salt on my food and in my water, but apparently not enough. I read somewhere that we need 5 grams (2 tsp) of sodium per day during the adaptation period. This is hard on the fat fast because there isn't enough food to add salt to. I had a pickle this morning which helped, but I need to be careful about carbs. I might just drink the juice until the fast is over.

I realized something recently. I eat a lot of bacon and unless I eat eggs right after, I throw away the grease, but don't reduce the fat grams in my food log. Yesterday after cooking 2 slices of bacon I had about 4 teaspoons of grease leftover. So I mixed it in my guacamole. Bacon-flavored guacamole is pretty darned good!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Maria, I like your soup ideas. I used to make a similar egg soup when I was on a lowfat diet, but I used egg whites. I bet with the yolks and more fat it would be much better. When I am running low on groceries, one of my standby meals is fajita chicken noodle soup. I grill some frozen chicken thighs, shred the meat and add it to some broth, a can of diced tomatoes w/ jalapeno, shiritake noodles, lime juice, cilantro cubes, garlic cubes and cayenne pepper. I will try adding butter next time.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds yummy! I bought sour cream today for my pork rinds and tried it; it was good! I weighed and measured a portion, and thus far it hasn't triggered a binge like I was afraid of (but the evening isn't over yet).

Your eletrolytes may be off. I've been using electrolyte drink tablets/powders in my water occasionally. Either Nuun tablets or something new I found called Sqwincher Zero.

I'm craving oyster stew! I think I'm going to make and oyster stew from a combination of coconut milk and chicken broth, but you could certainly make it with heavy cream and butter too.

You're doing awesome! I enjoy reading your progress.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

I ended the fast on Day 4. My electrolytes were horribly out of balance. Problem is, I couldn't get them righted again. I had 4 grams of sodium yesterday with additional potassium/magnesium and my symptoms still didn't improve until I broke the fast and ate meat/eggs.

While the fat fast did get me into ketosis within a day, I don't think I'll be trying it again. My carb cravings were suppressed, but it made me feel sick and I craved protein big-time. It could be that I was at too low of a weight to restrict protein.

I will drink less water and continue with a no-carb calorie-restricted menu for awhile to see if that continues to ease my symptoms.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:43 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. You may need to make some adjustments, as you already noted.

I broke down and had a binge last night. Need to re-group and re-focus today.

Hang in there!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

1 week later and I retained my 3 pound loss from the fat fast. I also lost an additional pound after 4 days of eating ~50g carb and ~90g of protein.