Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Ari Whitten's Forever Fat Loss book

I stumbled upon this book in the suggested titles of my kindle feed. I decided to buy it and it was quite an eye opener. This one falls more into the organic/whole foods side of things, and while he doesn't directly advocates low-carb or paleo for me it falls right into that category.

I couldn't put the book down. I read it cover to cover in a matter of hours. The information is easy to digest and it's not full of jargon.

I've been struggling a lot with my weight. I've been at about the same weight for two years now. I tried the 4 hour body slow carb diet and didn't lose a thing. In fact, just now I've been able to lose from the weight after my first (and only) cheat day. I tried going back to basic low carb with whole foods - I lost nothing. I even bought the Stillman's books and tried to do the diet following the guidelines I found here without much success either.

Like a fellow member of the daily weighters thread, I started to suspect all the extreme low carbing I've been doing and all the numerous hacks I've implemented over time really shot my metabolism and my body's ability to reach a lower weight. I do feel great when I do LCHF, I have energy to spare and all that, but I didn't lose much, if anything at all this last time I went that route.

The biggest eye openers for me from the book were: NEAT (nonexercise associated thermogenesis), lowering the exposure to the blue/white spectrum of light after sundown, the importance of getting out in the sun (specially before noontime) and eating all-natural food all the time - so no artificial sweeteners, vegetable oils other than EVCO, EVOO, nothing packaged in boxes with more than three ingredients that I'm able to identify.

So I've been conscious about staying on my feet rather than sitting, walking around more and making an effort to stand up my chair frequently while I'm working. I ditched all the artificial sweeteners (so hard to do). I'm going out for a short walk in the morning. I'm yet to try the covers or the eye glasses for minimizing blue/white light exposure though...

My initial results? I started at 170 pounds on the 30th of June, and today I'm at 166.6 - and that's eating plantains, fruit, mashed celery root, yogurt... even drinking wine with dinner!

I'm quite happy with how this is going so far. I eat according to my hunger, and I stop when I feel satisfied. Everything else is just the same - I do the same workouts, but now I'm seeing some scale weight progress

My ancestors didn’t claw their way to the top of the food chain so I could eat Twinkies - Mark Sisson
translationmx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erika1962
Stats: 260+/182.2/170-175/5'5/51
WOE: Not low carb, but low crap
I never heard of him, so I did the google thing (nosey old bitty that I am) and came across his website. His statements make a lot of sense, what I really liked was the water comment. People always think more is better, if 8 glasses of water are good, 24 must be better! I for one know it is not good, my body doesn't process more than a gallon of TOTAL fluids a day, it actually gets to a point where I can't tinkle anymore, the body holds on to the fluid! What I am thinking that this might be a self preservation reaction from the body, it knows all the salt is being flushed out, and it NEEDS salt to function properly. Working in the medical field I know that hyponatremia is an everyday thing, I have at least 2-3 cases a day, people wondering why they pass out and end up in the hospital...There discharge summaries ALWAYS say no more than 1.5 liters of total fluid a day!
Ok, now I am going back to do more reading/research, and just might have to order the book. Before I go, please tell me how you broke the sweetener habit, I eat as clean as I possibly can (with the occasional hormonal blowout), all fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, lean meats, yogurt, but for the life of me I can't shake the sweetener!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Hi Erika! First of all, congratz on you amazing weight loss!!

The book is a good read. The meals he suggests are quite tasty and simple to put together - smoothies, salads, quick soups, veggie combinations.

I'm quite happy to say that even though I did take several glasses of wine over the weekend and even some bread and potatoes I'm only 0.4#s up my lowest weight last week, and this is the week before TOM for me, so I'm cautiously optimistic right now. I don't feel as bloated as usual, so that's another huge plus for me.

I totally agree with you on the excess water intake. There goes another blanket statement that we all "need" to follow sheepishly. I do drink quite a bit, but I live in a very hot place - high humidity, I change and shower several times a day because of the heat kind of hot. I've been listening to my body, what it craves, what it needs, and it's been a wonderful experience all in all. I never thought that - as Ari says - working with your body rather than against it would yield any positive result. I'm less obsessed with food or forbidden things to eat and I'm more in tune with what happens around me and "inside" me if it makes sense.

Let me know how do you like the book if you get it, I think it's always great to hear the opinion of someone in the healthcare field

Re - how I broke the AS habit... the sad answer is cold turkey After reading the book I woke up the next morning and didn't have any more coke zeros or diet sunkist... nothing, nada, zilch, zero... I didn't even had that much to begin with, probably about two or three cans of diet soda a day and some LC cheesecake here and there. The interesting part is that I do have wine and Scotch neat or on the rocks and I've been losing weight - heck, last Friday I had two of those artisan apple beer organic drinks and I LOST weight the following morning
translationmx is offline   Reply With Quote