Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Jon Gabriel Method

I've been interested in the fat set point for a long time. I understand Jon Gabriel has the same philosophy. I've ordered his book.

I'm looking at youtube videos now. I just want a place to summarize what I am gathering so far. I don't know what the basic plan is. I understand he recommends eating real food, organic if possible, and that chronic stressors of many types are interpreted by the body as a threat of starvation. As I understand it, big severe threats to the body mean fight/run, chronic threats mean potential starvation, and activate the fat programs as a protective mechanism. I bought his CD for meditation a long time ago and never listened. I'll have to get it out. I definitely am stressed now.

--Move your food earlier in the day. Eat a large breakfast and lunch, eat a smaller meal at night. The strategy is to not release insulin overnight and instead burn fat. Lower insulin levels at night. You eat the same amount of food, but you burn fat. Over time you become hungry in the morning, not at night (night eating youtube video)

--When you don't get enough water, it causes hunger, not thirst. Because food used to contain water, but now we have processed the water out of our food. We need more water to eliminate toxins. When you are burning fat, you need to flush toxins. If you are not able to do this, you shut down the fat burning process. Drink two glasses of water in the morning upon waking, drink a glass of water before each meal, and drink one glass of water every hour after dinner until you go to sleep. University of Wisconsin study noted water killed night time food cravings in 100% of subjects (the importance for water youtube video).

I wish I could sit here and watch videos all night.

Just to document this, in case there is something big that works for me here, my weight today is 234, where it has been for a few days.

Stress has caused me to gain a massive amount of weight over the past nine months. This was set off by layoff rumors in October that came true just before Christmas. There is concern about another layoff now. It is bad. I have been confused. Nothing I used to do to control my weight works anymore. I know it is stress. I have to get it under control.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-04-2014 at 08:41 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eraser51
would be quite interested in your findings.. can you tell me more?

funny heard to eat nothing in the morning because the cortisol is there the highest and that would just be bad?!
john kiefer mentioned that a lot
eraser51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Eraser51,

Thanks for the company. I have found through Facebook and googling that he seems to be another paleo diet advocate. It is a relief to find he is not a whole grains low fat type.

I have heard conflicting information about morning eating. Some say continue the night time fast as long as you can. I am curious about what he recommends since he has lost so much weight and looks so good.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
Hello,
very curious about fat set point....I am at weight that I once used to weigh and have not moved for some time.

I hope you find something that works for you !

I am not a morning eater, if I do I am starving, and unsatisfied all day. I have learned this about myself, if you can switch to morning and light eating the rest of the day then more power to you! You are a stronger soul than I. That said I am hoping you find the secret for yourself to lose and share.

Best wishes and Keytones I love your avatar!
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am looking to utilize his recommendations for stress management and see if I can find some things I haven't tried before, or haven't tried in the correct combination.

The morning no-hunger thing is a symptom of insulin resistance, if I remember correctly. Higher blood sugar in the morning--I have this problem. if this somehow helps reverse it, that would be a help to me.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

hey

read the book and he seems to focus on many vegetables... guess thats my weak part

just have to many fat and protein on my menu... how are you there?
did you lose?
I dont know if ketosis or NK helps me that much if I could upregulate my vegetable intake and lower fat for more protein...
Old 07-13-2014, 01:39 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am still waiting for the book. Mine came damaged so I'm waiting for a replacement.

I have tried low carb mod protein. NK makes it hard to sleep and my anxiety gets worse. I was excited to make it work but no go.

I am taking about 60 to 80 carbs per day. I had a few days recently where I had very few carbs and quickly hit the wall with sleep problems and early wakings. I otherwise sleep like a rock!

I am working hard on relaxing and did a visualization exercise on his Facebook feed (Gabriel method).

I lost most of my weight on low carb. My stints in paleo and the potato hack and Shangri la with MCT oil worked but did not stick when I hit severe stress. I can honestly say the only weight that has stayed off is the low carb weight lost. Long term is all that counts. MCT oil does hold my appetite in check. That still works anyway.

I have never eaten a lot of veg. I have a vitamix but using it to get veg down overwhelms me with water. I have ordered a juicer. I am going to mix the leftover fibrous matter into meatballs. I read some people do that. I hope it works

I also just read on rosedale's blog that saturated fat is harder to burn. He is low carb. He says to eat fish and poultry and to use avocado and nuts. He has many more recommendations. I just am really thinking about this. I have thought saturated fat was the way to go. This seems foreign and perhaps worth a shot. I have tried everything else...

Gabriel has a breakfast ball recepie that fits this notion. I will try it with fewer seeds. Rose dale says to go lighter on seeds and rely more on nuts.

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-13-2014 at 01:52 AM..
Old 07-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I find the heavier the veggies and fruit in my diet, the less stress, more satisfied, happier I am. MCT oil plus mostly veggies seems to really satisfy much more than a super low carb diet. I usually intermittently fast til late morning or early afternoon, and then really focus on "live foods"--I also really think not eating between meals is key. It is all about decreasing insulin release. Eating 3 x daily and focusing on veggie carbs and good sources of fat and protein--over the long haul that is going to get results.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

hmm I still try under 50 better 20g carbs per day..

not sure about NK at all but I thing finally aspartame does something bad for me.. ate 4000kcal (heavy fat %) with water and lost 1 kg.. today in the morning on 2000kcal but with pepsi same weight as before.. so guess Its really the AS

veggies I really need to implement but working on it
Old 07-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Would like to follow this thread. Always interested in another point of view. The debate over the importance of breakfast seems never ending. Both sides have convincing arguments.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cici!

I have the book now, but I am unsubscribing from the Gabriel Method fb feed. It is a constant barrage of marketing.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I find the heavier the veggies and fruit in my diet, the less stress, more satisfied, happier I am. MCT oil plus mostly veggies seems to really satisfy much more than a super low carb diet. I usually intermittently fast til late morning or early afternoon, and then really focus on "live foods"--I also really think not eating between meals is key. It is all about decreasing insulin release. Eating 3 x daily and focusing on veggie carbs and good sources of fat and protein--over the long haul that is going to get results.
With the summer produce I am amping up veggies and fruit also. I do feel good on ketogenic diets but every time you digress, you are starting over to get back into ketosis. Also, think it may contribute to the anx/dep symptoms my new doc pointed out. We are also checking for metabolic contributors but a few carbs at the right time may go a long way toward brain health. I don't want meds or psycotherapy so am determined to see what can be done with exercise and dietary changes as well as getting out and about more.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
one other thing to throw in there--I try and keep my carbs lowish every other day--focusing on lean protein (bocas, yum!) and a little good fat--some intermittent fasting every day (not eating til at least 10am--then at 2pm and 6pm--my eating schedule every day)--I enjoy fruits and more carby veggies every other day--I find that this helps keep my blood sugar a little better regulated for me.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Got some nice easy news. My vitamin D level is very low so starting to supplement that then recheck in 3 months. That might take care of those symptoms she was concerned about.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
It sounds like he is copying The Big Breakfast Diet by Dr. Jacobwitz.
oriana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #16
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I bought the book for my Kindle after reading this thread. So far I am only through the introduction, but I like what he said about dieting being like sleep deprivation.

Just about anyone could force themselves to sleep only 2 hours per night. You could do it for a while and maybe even look really productive with your extra time, but eventually you are going to crash and sleep for hours.

We could call it "binge-sleeping" and call those people weak-willed, but everyone knows you can't restrict your sleep forever without consequences.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

KT, are you still here? Notice any changes?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven't started the book. Unfortunately, my window of time to read it has passed; I'll probably get to it in the fall when school starts again.

I gather from his facebook feed that it is about stress management/meditation, organic eating, getting enough sleep...I can't remember or haven't figured out what exercises he recommends.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Anyone around here still doing the Gabriel Method? If so, I'd love to re-start the conversation. I've been trying to slowly add some of his concepts in my eating, and I really love his nighttime visualization. I was doing it regularly and then got real busy and stopped, so I want to get that started again.

I also appreciate his concept of adding good foods in before trying to remove anything out of your diet. Much less stress and pressure. No need to be perfect like we so often expect of ourselves. Just add in good stuff and it should crowd out more and more of the bad stuff.

I'll be interested to see if anyone else responds. I'd love to have an active place to discuss this!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote