Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/74 years old 169/159/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
One Meal A Day

Years ago I lost 35 lbs in three months having coffee w/cream in the AM, and lunch mid afternoon. At night either nothing or just a simple snack like popcorn or yogurt. I don't know where that fits in to the various ways of eating but I am rolling this way to see if it helps me. As an older person I have to eat 800-1000 cals a day, with about 60-100 carbs. I just don't like to be having to think about food constantly and I am attracted to this WOE with small exceptions like going to a restaurant. I think except for the coffee in the AM I am doing IF. Does anyone else have input?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Hi there, I'm doing IF, I eat between about 6pm and midnight, i usually have dinner and then snack while watching my nightly movie with my husband. I've eaten anywhere between 1000 and 1800 calories, I love it, I actually get to eat a big meal instead of smaller ones, I was eating 2 meals, one at midday and one in the evening but I much prefer this, I lost 2.4lbs last week which is unheard of for me, personally I think a combo of low carb and IF are perfect for blood sugar control, I seem to also be able to get a away with slightly higher calories doing this than more spaced out meals.
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:56 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 144/132/120
Hello.
I love eating this way, too. I would much rather have one large meal than thinking about food all day long with little mini meals. I am getting back to this as I have been doing mini meals lately and seems that I am just eating all of the time.
As I am older and short, too, I really have to limit my calories to around 800 - 1000 and really have to watch the carbs. I try to eat plenty of protein and that keeps me from getting hungry. Seems to help my blood sugar control, too.
Glad to find others that are doing this. We can support each other.
hopetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
I find it so much easier to keep an eye on my macros doing this as well, instead of trying to partition out carbs between meals. i do watch my calories so it means a lot to me to be able to eat to satisfaction, especially as I'm following LCHF so meals tend to be small but calorie dense, I've also upped my carbs from about 10g a day to roughly 20g and the additional veg has made me sooooooo happy. Bresaola and cheese baby spinach salad (massive one) for dinner tonight with lashings of olive oil and olives nom nom nom! Then kale chips, again nom nom nom. Its nice to have enough food to take your time over dinner, I used to be finished before my husband got a 1/4 way through his dinner!
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tbagram
Stats: 249/230/180
WOE: The Big Breakfast/IF
Start Date: 4/28/14
This is pretty much what I started doing, too. My favorite meal is breakfast and I did that last week as my main meal, but over the week end I got turned around on my meals so today I didn't feel like breakfast. I had coffee with C.O. and plan on my big lunch and a cooled baked potato for dinner, around 5PM. If I can keep this up I'm sure the weight will come off and I will feel better. At age 63 I need to keep my calories down.
tbagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

tbagram, I love this way of eating, too. Looks like you have lost and are off to a great start. Congrats!
I like to eat my meal around noon or shortly after and that pretty much keeps me full until the next day. Since I am old and short and have to limit my calories and watch blood sugar, this really works best for me, too. I like the fact that I don't have to think about food all day long and be tempted to eat more. When I started this WOE, I ate a big breakfast but got hungry before bedtime even though I was eating a lot of protein. Midday seems to be working for me the best right now.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Do you have a favorite "one meal"?
Old 05-06-2014, 04:20 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbagram View Post
Do you have a favorite "one meal"?
I try to have a so called "balanced" meal - protein, veggies, fruit (sometimes a shake made with nonfat milk and fruit). If I have a sugar free dessert, I have that to finish off my meal so I feel like I have had a great meal and am satisfied. I don't have many starches such as bread and potatoes since I am prediabetic controlling it with no meds. If I add additional foods, I do count my calories to make sure that I am not overdoing it.

I am so excited that someone else is doing this too. I think it is a great plan and hope to do this for a while.

What is your favorite meal?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:19 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/133/125
WOE: my way! low carb & low cal
Start Date: 2/15/2014
I have started doing this way as well. I eat from 6am till 2pm and then nothing again till the next day at 6am. I count calories and carbs.
I seem to get so much done when I get home from work when I don't have to worry about dinner. I also walk 2 miles each night and now with not worrying about dinner I can walk longer.
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:21 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/133/125
WOE: my way! low carb & low cal
Start Date: 2/15/2014
What is your favorite meal?

lunch is: cooked chicken and green beans.. I find this fills me up and I stay full until the next morning.
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:57 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

My favorite meal of the day is breakfast but am finding that lunch as my meal makes this WOE easier. I love steak, so have been thinking of cooking a few in advance to bring to work and having a salad and desert with it. The problem is that the cost of beef is so high, now. I do like chicken thighs, too.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:07 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles4me View Post
I have started doing this way as well. I eat from 6am till 2pm and then nothing again till the next day at 6am. I count calories and carbs.
I seem to get so much done when I get home from work when I don't have to worry about dinner. I also walk 2 miles each night and now with not worrying about dinner I can walk longer.
Hi Smalls.
You have done really well and congrats on your big loss!!
I did low carbing for a while years ago and lost around 40# but doesn't seem to work for me anymore. If I do that, I really have to limit my calories and just don't feel satisfied when I eat throughout the day, so this plan really works for me.

I love the fact, too, that I don't have to think about food after my big meal and can concentrate on other things. I walk 30 minutes morning and evening.

I just got some chicken thighs out of the freezer this morning and will have those and a salad today and if I am still hungry will have a piece of fruit maybe made into a smoothie.

Hope all have a great day and I am so glad that I am not along in this way of eating.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I am watching the carbs and treat my main meal like the CALP RM. Atkins quoted in one of his books that CAD/CALP is the perfect way to have a cheat day while doing Atkins. I think if you watch your intake it can work all the time. JUDDD is wonderful but I suffer trying to eat 500 cals/day on DD's.

Hope to Lose: You get it, don't ya sister? 800-1000 a day is what the Medifast Diet is all about, along with 80-100 carbs, and on that you sure do lose.

Ever onward!

Last edited by SuzeQ; 05-10-2014 at 02:33 PM..
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/160/130ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb/2014
I feel as though I have come to the right thread!!
I have not been having much loss and cut way back on how frequently I eat and calories. So far it seems to be helping, haven't weighed but hopeful.

SuzeQ-could you explain CALP RM CAD/CALP cheat please, or please give page number or chapter.....I don't remember reading this in DANDR, thanks

Hope we all reach goal and stay there
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:24 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Suze, I definately have to watch my calories and carbs and lose on this plan when I do.
I tried Judd and just couldn't do it because of blood sugar issues as it was either too high or too low and didn't really feel well. Know it really works for some, but not me.

Hi, Maxi. Looks like you are doing well on your WOE. I hope we all reach our goals, too.

Maybe together we can do this.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:56 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lindart1
Stats: 244/236/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-started April 2014
I like the idea of doing Atkins with a RM once in awhile, I find that the CAD is actually more restricting than Atkins when not eating a RM! Went out to dinner last night with hubby, it was a RM, and I looked at the menu - Wow! I can have what I want! I usually only had steak fajita without the tortillas. So I had a Thai Shrimp Bowl with noodles.It had lots of veg and shrimp in it. I started with my salad, but then out order was misplaced and had to be re-ordered, so it took a very long time (there goes the 60 minute limit!), and of course I wanted dessert so it wasn't all that "balanced". But it was good! And I felt "normal". But I did gain 2 pounds!
Lindart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Sorry I do not have the Atkins reference any longer. He simply said that CAD/CALP is a good way to have a cheat day once in awhile. Do not remember if in the book or online. He just said it is all I know, and it makes sense because it does control your blood sugar.
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/169; 5'6", 52 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQ View Post
Sorry I do not have the Atkins reference any longer. He simply said that CAD/CALP is a good way to have a cheat day once in awhile. Do not remember if in the book or online. He just said it is all I know, and it makes sense because it does control your blood sugar.
that is really interesting. makes sense.

i know so many of us pressure ourselves to only eat one meal per day. we feel victorious when we do it. i've done it so often, but i've gotten to the point that i figure life's too short. i started having 4 oz. turkey sausage as a cm. it makes me not feel so pressured to get-in-all-i-can during my RMs. i figured i should eat a lot while i had a chance. now, i know i'm going to have a cm, so i am not feeling so much like i need to binge during my RMs.

just my 2 cents.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:06 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cali girl
Stats: 213/193/135
Start Date: 2014
Hi all,
I lost weight on low carb and know how healthy it is. I just can't stick to it all the time.
I would go off and eat carbs and gain it all back. It was just a cycle and I'm tired of it! I still watch my carbs on some days, but I don't worry about it all the time. I am just eating one meal a day Monday thru Friday around 5 pm with my family. On the weekends I will eat lunch and dinner which makes weekends fun, I'm tired of always being on a diet. When I go out to eat I will eat whatever sounds good!
I'm tired of counting everything so I'm not counting carb or calories. I am just going to see how it goes.

When I was a teen this is how I always ate. I was thin and happy never gave a thought to eating. I also feel IF is so good for the body. I think it's how we were supposed to eat.
I love knowing once a day I can eat whatever I want and how much I want. It makes it
doable for me. If I lose slowly, that's ok as long as I lose and I'm HAPPY.
Cali girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
I also eat one meal a day
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:31 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

So everything is going good I was a little hungry yesterday, but I survived.
Had a large taco salad, with a whole avocado mixed with sour cream and Taco Bell sauce
for the dressing. Topped it with red onion,black olives, grass fed ground beef and Dubliner cheese. Also had a couple of beers with DH out on the deck.
I'm down 2 lbs. since Monday, mostly water weight. But I will take it
Old 05-15-2014, 05:36 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

chipotle burrito, head of romaine, carrot cake smoothie and mcdonald fruit smoothie at around 12
Old 05-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
chipotle burrito, head of romaine, carrot cake smoothie and mcdonald fruit smoothie at around 12
That sounds good, what did you do with the head of romaine? And what's in
a carrot cake smoothie?
Old 05-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/251/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
Still doing One Meal a Day (Dinner) with Atkins Induction Foods and love it.

Last edited by kay9; 05-15-2014 at 09:04 AM..
kay9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay9 View Post
Still doing One Meal a Day (Dinner) with Atkins Induction Foods and love it.
Wow, you must be doing well with one meal a day plus Induction.
I like having my meal for dinner also. We eat around 5 pm. I've been
eating at 5 all my life, even as a kid.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

So, I have been trying to eat a big breakfast as my RM and eat again around lunch...meat and salad. My window is 8-1. If I get hungry in evening I think I will have HWC in a decalf coffee. I'm really hoping I won't get hungry and just have some tea. How does this all sound. I feel like Im doing three WOE. CAD, IF and Big Breakfast
Old 05-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbagram View Post
So, I have been trying to eat a big breakfast as my RM and eat again around lunch...meat and salad. My window is 8-1. If I get hungry in evening I think I will have HWC in a decalf coffee. I'm really hoping I won't get hungry and just have some tea. How does this all sound. I feel like Im doing three WOE. CAD, IF and Big Breakfast
It sounds good to me.

I can't eat early or I will just keep eating all day. I like to eat dinner with family.
I would also be afraid I couldn't sleep if I was hungry.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

If you eat enough protein you will not be hungry for the rest of the day. Promise. At least 7 oz. according to the Big Breakast Diet. How much have you all lost on one meal a day and how many calories.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Same reason here. Mostly eat around 6:30pm-7pm depending on when we get home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali girl View Post
Wow, you must be doing well with one meal a day plus Induction.
I like having my meal for dinner also. We eat around 5 pm. I've been
eating at 5 all my life, even as a kid.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

I started my journey in 08/27/2013 @ 432 and decided to do one meal a day around 09/29/2013 @ 396.6lbs. My weigh in yesterday was 279.
I will admit that i still have my decaf w/ HWC and Davinci Vanilla everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
If you eat enough protein you will not be hungry for the rest of the day. Promise. At least 7 oz. according to the Big Breakast Diet. How much have you all lost on one meal a day and how many calories.

Last edited by kay9; 05-15-2014 at 02:27 PM..