Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 07:12 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Quote:
rosedec21 Did you know, if you joined Weight Watchers online you can get 50% off for six months ! The offer is good until March 22
I did not, thanks. I will look into it.
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

IM2, loving all the quotes, and goal setting ideals.

Thanks

(were/are you a WW leader?)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:23 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
shapeup good morning everyone.

Well I woke up thinking again which diet should I do today.... What is wrong with me!
I do this all the time. I wonder if it is because there is so much research out there defending all types of eating......

Quote:
Wigglesmom
I keep thinking of my final goal and how I want to eat for the rest of my life. Do I want to eat meat and veggies only forever? I don't; I can't. I want a piece of fruit. I want a baked potato. I want some pasta here and there. That's what you have to decide. This is a way of life and not a diet.

It's easy for me to write this. I wish I could take my own advice sometimes.
Wow this is so good. How do I want to eat the rest of my life???

I continue to love reading your menu Wiggles, thanks.

shapeup so sorry about your fall. BUT so happy you are walking!! You go girl!

Wiggles, sorry about the Psoriatic Arthritis. If you can turn down cake and ice cream, I think you can do anything?! Good luck at work.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Forgot to say...

WTG quitecontrary, 3 lbs is great/gone.

Everyone have a great day.....
Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shapeup
Stats: 222/xxx/170
WOE: LC
Start Date: Dec.2006 / restart Oct.13,2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglesmom View Post
I'm really sorry to hear about your accident Shapeup. Good for you to overcome that! You have so much strength to come back from that. You give me some hope actually.

I've had chronic hip pain for almost three years now and was finally diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis. It is very similar to Rheumatoid Arthritis. I've been out of work for six months on disability. I would be literally dragging my leg by the end of the work day and cry all the way home.

I currently walk with a cane because it really is the only thing that helps with the pain. I decided to try to go back to work and not go on long term disability because being home is not helping mentally or physically. I'm hoping that by using the cane and the medications I'm on that I'll be back to my old self soon. I feel so much older than my 48 year old self.

I go back to work Monday so keep your fingers crossed for me!

On a happier note, I turned down cake and ice cream tonight and feel great that I didn't stick all that fat and sugar into my body!
I think we all need a hug!

Great job on not eating the cake, one day at a time is the way!

I also feel,older then my 58yrs. It feels like 98 lol
I worked has an CNA for 35 plus yrs. and believe me some of those grandma's would be able to pass me up in a race.
shapeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

good morning everyone!

Yes I went to my WW meeting the scale did not break however it was up.
188 was my number so I need to lose 10 lbs to,get back to my Dr. Goal for life time free meetings again.

I stayed at the end to hear how the new simple start works:

Someone asked a question here but I can't remember who, the question was about eating frozen meals on simple start so I asked.

The answer was: you can but it would be part of your extra daily 7 pts.
All simple start foods can not be process foods. So progress soups would also be part of the extra point food.

I hope this helps.

I think starting tomorrow I will try the simple start program and see how this works for me.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: rosedec21
Stats: 215/190/137
WOE: WW Points Plus
Start Date: April 1st/2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
I did not, thanks. I will look into it.
I signed up last night , and it looks like the date was backed up a week . Hard to believe they can do that ? But it was 1/2 price if you payed 6 months ahead .
rosedec21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wigglesmom
Stats: 232~232~162
Start Date: Every day
I've started looking at the simple start too. If you are an online member and have an iPhone or iPad, there is an app you can download. This upcoming week is going to be very uncertain so I think I'll just count normal points until I can focus and plan better. I start back to work next week so I have planned out crockpot meals all week so it will be minimal work. Once I get back into the swing of things, I really want to try it. When I was on several years ago, I followed the Core plan and really liked it.

So I was a bad girl for lunch today but stopped before I did too much damage. I had a quarter of a cheesesteak with fried onions and about 20 French fries. Oh boy, was it yummy! This is usually when I fall off the program. I cop the attitude that I blew it and then fall totally off program and revert to the "I'll start back on Monday" mindset. But I'm not going to let that happen this time.

I think the reason that I'm always wanting to switch plans has a lot to do with reading the other boards on this site. I read that people are doing LC and losing 5 pounds a week so that makes me want to switch. I think I need to stay off the LC focused boards and just read here. That might help. I'm not crazy about the boards on the WW site because a lot of the regulars on there are down right mean. I feel safe here.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday's food...33 PP plus 4 WP

Morning:
black coffee, 16 fl oz
half-and-half cream, 1 oz
Overnight Oatmeal, 1 serving(s)

Midday:
plum tomato(es), 1⁄2 medium
avocado, 1⁄8 item(s)
lettuce, 1⁄2 cup(s)
Boars Head Turkey breast, 2 oz
Boars Head Master Cheesemaker's Selections Cheese, Imported Swiss, 1 oz
Hellmanns Real mayonnaise, 2 tsp
Arnold Select Sandwich Thins, Honey Wheat, 1 roll
Oscar Mayer Bacon, Center Cut, 2 slice
Apple, 1 large

Evening:
olive oil, 1 tsp
cooked egg noodles, 1 cup(s)
cooked broccoli, 1 cup(s)
lettuce, 2 cup(s)
cucumber(s), 1⁄4 cup(s)
Pioneer Woman's Beef Brisket , 3⁄4 serving(s)
Honey Mustard Dressing, 1⁄2 serving(s)

Anytime:
Dannon Light & Fit Strawberry nonfat yogurt, 1 container
Wigglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

good morning everyone!

Yes it we'll be a good day the sun is up and I'm ready to start simple start why of eating this week.

Breakfast bowl of GoLean cereal, almond milk, with some blueberries and I'm happy so far.

Hope every one has a good day.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

good afternoon pretty slow here today.

Well lunch went good:
Arnold bun, turkey burger with lettuce, tomatoe onion.

Dinner will be :
Roasted chicken breast, and roasted mixed Veg's.

Snack: yogurt and tonight some popcorn
Old 03-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone. I'm still here and on plan. I'm just not feeling very well so kind of just taking it easy the past couple of days.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi everyone. I'm still here and on plan. I'm just not feeling very well so kind of just taking it easy the past couple of days.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.
hope you feel better soon, Monday is your 1st day back to work.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeup View Post
hope you feel better soon, Monday is your 1st day back to work.
Thanks

How's simply filling going? I really hate keeping track of what I eat. It's kind of fun for me the first few days but then it becomes cumbersome.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: IM2fat
Stats: 190/176/150/140
WOE: Stillmans / ww pp
Start Date: WW Life changing April 28 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
IM2, loving all the quotes, and goal setting ideals.

Thanks

(were/are you a WW leader?)
Salt.. . funny you should ask ..I'm not. . but was recruited heavily some years back . when I was at goal. . I guess I'm just a good listener and blabber. . I'm always looking for something new to motivate me. Plus. . I believe in WW cuz I know it works!
IM2fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

So I was a bad girl for lunch today but stopped before I did too much damage. I had a quarter of a cheesesteak with fried onions and about 20 French fries. Oh boy, was it yummy! This is usually when I fall off the program. I cop the attitude that I blew it and then fall totally off program and revert to the "I'll start back on Monday" mindset. But I'm not going to let that happen this time.

I think the reason that I'm always wanting to switch plans has a lot to do with reading the other boards on this site. I read that people are doing LC and losing 5 pounds a week so that makes me want to switch. I think I need to stay off the LC focused boards and just read here. That might help. I'm not crazy about the boards on the WW site because a lot of the regulars on there are down right mean. I feel safe here.
See. . wiggles. . That's a victory right there.. You realized what you did and you took more action than normal (Lunch). . . . Our mindsets are very much the same, but I'm gradually realizing. . if I'm going to do this the rest of my life. . that I need to take it one meal at a time!

And, I agree with you about the other sites. I just hopped on over to the old group of ladies that I had been following on LC. . It does sound wonderful to lose 5 pounds in a week .. but are you (we) willing to give up fruits, limit veggies and cut our all carbs. . I just can't do it. .I just don't have the strength and I know that losing it by making better choices and learning to eat in moderation is the only way it will stay off for good! We didn't get fat by eating fruit and veggies. . and I think when you cut out entire food groups, you are setting yourself up for failure. . I'm just not that strong any longer. . I lived on liquids for 6 months. . looked great for about a day .. and gained it all back within 30 days! It was awful and much worse to lose again. .

Hang in there, we can do this. .One meal at a time!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Sunday!!

OK.. so my weekend "for the kids" involved so many food triggers! First. . I had put in the back of my mind, the idea that I could walk all over town and enjoy the sights and company without snacking. . Well.. for the most part, I stayed strong until we passed the ever-famous popcorn place. . my favorite! I just had to buy some . . . I toned it down a bit and purchased the Family Size instead of the Party size (40 Cups!). . of my favorite. . Dill Pickle!! (drool .. drool). .just thinking about it makes my lips chap!! But. .I came home with almost a full bag and plan to measure it out. I'll have to guestimate the points but it's all about making better choices. I did eat a slice of pizza for dinner each night but countered it with a salad.

I can't say I was perfect. . (darn chocolate covered nuts) and a few cocktails.. but I can say I was better than I normally would have been. .

I am grilling up zuchinni, made a salad and plan to have a perfect week. Tomorrow is weigh in day .. I'm afraid the scale isn't going to be my friend. . but I can deal with it.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: harley g-ma
Stats: 195.5/183./140
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Jan.1 2014
I am joining WW's tomorrow and plan on posting here for some support too l need the accountability of having someone else weigh me I have been on WW's many times and I plan on doing the 70's version.I get in trouble when I start adding in the desserts and other goodies that are allowed now.I'll see how it goes.
I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.This seems like a pretty small group
harley g-ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi. .Harley! Welcome aboard. . the more the merrier. . You'll love the new program (I promise). . it's all about choices. . but I think the better choices are non-processed foods (and you get more bang for your buck!). . you can eat so much healthier and you will feel so much better. Deep down.. we all know what works. . I immediately know when I don't eat well. . Those Chocolate Nuts this weekend gave me tummy turmoil. .just a gentle reminder that fruits, veggies, and the good stuff that God gave us. . is best!

Please stick around and let us know how you do. . and congratulations for taking the first step.. You'll do great. . (love, love your name! I plan on being a Harley Gma, too. . had to trade in my bike for a convertible when the kids were little but looking forward to riding with hubby again in the futre. . )
Old 03-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ask yourself. .. do you like it enough to wear it?
Old 03-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks

How's simply filling going? I really hate keeping track of what I eat. It's kind of fun for me the first few days but then it becomes cumbersome.
not working for me, I think I'm eating to much / more then I should being you don't need to weigh your food. I need to weigh check my serving sizes.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 AM   #52
I'm his Princess

Gallery: Dedicated
Stats: Goal is a Healthy Weight!
WOE: Clean Eating!
Start Date: Everyday!
Good Morning!!!

Busy days ahead. It snowed here in Baltimore. Can't wait to get back to sunny FL!

Hope you all are well!
Dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeup View Post
not working for me, I think I'm eating to much / more then I should being you don't need to weigh your food. I need to weigh check my serving sizes.
Good idea---- weigh check or measure or fix your plate and then cut it in half. Portion size is tough for me to. If we do not learn portion control we will never be able to maintain , let alone reaching goal !

Last edited by rosedec21; 03-17-2014 at 06:21 AM..
Old 03-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I really hate my scale! How does one gain 6 pounds in 2 days? Seriously. . Grrrrrrr. . I now remember why I diet hopped all the time before. . but I have to make this time different!! I know what I did this weekend. . even though I didn't think it was too bad. . it must have been! Eeek..

(((( big double Sigh )))). . .I'm back and I promise myself that I will do what I need to do this week. .No more steps back . .we can only go forward. .

But I shall take a momentary pause for a pity party. .
Old 03-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I needed to read this today!

Why The Scale Lies...

By Renee Cloe, ACE Certified Personal Trainer

We've been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can't resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can't bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence its readings.

A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so it's easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn't have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts. The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content.

That's why, when it comes to eating, it's wise to stick mainly to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, boxed mixes, and frozen dinners. Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it's packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when it's stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates. As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with it's associated water. It's normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if you're prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

Otherwise rational people also tend to forget about the actual weight of the food they eat. For this reason, it's wise to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you've had anything to eat or drink. Swallowing a bunch of food before you step on the scale is no different than putting a bunch of rocks in your pocket. The 5 pounds that you gain right after a huge dinner is not fat. It's the actual weight of everything you've had to eat and drink. The added weight of the meal will be gone several hours later when you've finished digesting it.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it's not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it's likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in. Generally, it's only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it's physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you're really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale's sneakiest attribute. It doesn't just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn't necessarily mean that you've lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you've lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you're just sitting around. That's one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn't differentiate between the two. It can't tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat. There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current. If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn't appeal to you, don't worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don't be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride. It's a matter of mind over scale.

Last edited by IM2fat; 03-17-2014 at 10:36 AM..
Old 03-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Good article IM
Old 03-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I need a reminder every now and then! I'm still sulking about my scale but decided to come home and work off some frustration,! Little down in the dumps today I must admit. The scale started it, then hubby crabbed at me (even tho it is the 23rd anniversary of our engagement lol. He's so original) and now I come home to a mess and no one here, I'm on one hour treadmill marathon and trying to plan a mental meal. It's a good thing I bounce back or these boys would be in trouble today. So, 61 minutes only burned up 422 calories, heck I can look at food and consume that much. O we'll perhaps the sweat running down my brow will deter me.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

Do not throw in the towel or feel depressed , you are doing it and you will get results !
Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miggsmacall
Stats: 317/302/169
WOE: HCG
Start Date: August 2005 (LC)-March 2014 WW
Hi Guys! Introducing myself! I've been on the LC boards for years with my weight fluctuating up and down.

in 2005 I lost 85 by doing Stillman's and spending about 7-10 hours a week in the gym and it STILL too me 1.5 years with PCOS.

Because of the PCOS and the insulin resistance that comes with it I KNOW I should be eating Low Carb but I REALLY have a hard time sticking with it and it makes me sick. The ketosis makes me sick, the meat makes me sick, it all makes me really dehydrated and ill and it never goes away. Oh, did I mention the leg cramps?

I stopped strict low carb when I was pregnant and now that my daughter is a little older and pays attention to food habits I want her to learn healthy eating skills and portion control. I know ALL of the health benefits of low carb (though some are fairly disputed) I just feel like refined, packaged franken foods can be left out but we can still enjoy all fruits, vegetables and a small amount of grain and be healthy.

So, I'm on WW. I really struggle with being hungry (and I get a lot of points) but I'm learning that it's okay to be a little hungry. Honestly, hunger never went away on LC, either, it was just a different KIND of hunger.

So, wish me luck! Last week I lost 3 pounds and this week I stayed exactly the same. BUT, I think some of that is water weight from Corn Beef and Soda Bread last night!

Tomorrow:

Breakfast 7 points
Breakfast Sandwich
Coffee with Cream

Lunch 8 points
Mixed greens
1T Dried Cranberries
1T Sunflower Seeds
2T Feta
1/2 chicken breast
2T homemade italian
carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, other point free veggies

Dinner 11 points
1.5 C Zucchini Noodles
.5 cup marinara
6oz prawns
.5 cup whole wheat spaghetti

Anytime 7
chobani 100
1 cup 2% cottage cheese with fresh fruit

That's 31 points which leaves me with 12. I know. I shouldn't complain because I know so many only get 26 for the day!
miggsmacall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:59 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Miggs!

Please stick with us. .and stick with Weight Watchers. . I, too, did Stillmans for a long time but I realized it wasn't something I could do 100% of the time. I think a more natural diet is key. I love fruit and veggies and a little bread now and again and don't want to feel guilty about it. I still try to eat more protein as it does keep me satisfied for a longer period of time and I know refined sugars are just a trigger for me..

I think you'll be happy and your menu looks great! As you can see, I'm a blabbermouth and I come here for my daily devotions whether it helps or not.. I know my family gets sick of obsessiveness so I like to hang with others who are going through the same thing.

Keep us up to date! You can do it. . you'll feel stronger and better in no time!