Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
M&E family:
It's been so long since I did M&E and I will probably go through the threads again, but if you had to choose some M&E essentials, what would you buy?
I am headed to the grocery store tomorrow and I am unsure of what I should purchase besides bacon, eggs, butter, and random meat! I'm going to be eating some avocado this time around since I have a ton in my fridge.
What are your must-haves?

When I go grocery shopping these things ALWAYS make their way into the basket/cart:

Eggs (I buy 2 dozen at a time)
Heavy Whipping Cream
Torani sugar free vanilla syrup
shredded cheddar cheese
bacon
skinless and boneless chicken OR ground beef
Mayonnaise
Dill Pickle Spears
celery
shredded lettuce
Cream Cheese blocks (I buy 6 at a time)
Truvia (my sweetner of choice)

I've been reading glamazon's meal thread these days to inspire new and exciting meals in my menus. She's amazing; anyone who is bored with their meals def. needs to check it out.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4
WOE: M&E + Wine!
Start Date: October 1, 2014
Thanks, NAF!
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aruralgirl
Stats: 216/175.5/160 ht. 5'7
WOE: FF/M&E
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
M&E family:
It's been so long since I did M&E and I will probably go through the threads again, but if you had to choose some M&E essentials, what would you buy?
I am headed to the grocery store tomorrow and I am unsure of what I should purchase besides bacon, eggs, butter, and random meat! I'm going to be eating some avocado this time around since I have a ton in my fridge.
What are your must-haves?
QB!

While I've never tried IE, I think for me it would be similarly. I know from just having the flax/soy tortilla chips in my house that the wrong food makes me spiral out of control. . . I'm so glad IE is working for Terri! We are all so unique.

Anyway, to answer your question, most of what was on Naf's list is on mine, though I would add chicken wings and chicken thighs, both with the skin on. I have a quick meal (quick to prepare, I should say) I do with both of these. I take the frozen thighs or wings, and while they are frozen, I smear bacon grease on them. (It sticks really well then.) I bake this frozen chicken at 375 degrees--thighs for 1 hr. 20 minutes to 1 hr. 30, or until skin is gold brown. I do the wings for 60 - 70 minutes until these are golden brown as well. They have a wonderful flavor. . . I am generous with the bacon grease--a tsp or so per thigh, obviously less for each chicken drumette/wingette.

If I happen to be eating veggies, I will add a handful of frozen green beans in the pan about halfway through cooking time. . . The only other thing I'd recommend is to not crowd the chicken in the pan, as the chicken juices and grease, if too much accumulates, will keep the chicken from developing crispy skin.

BTW, while not meat and eggs, I did buy some Sunbutter today, and man oh man, I am surprised at how good this is. I like it better than almond butter, though not as good as peanut butter.
Aruralgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:14 AM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I think it's a mistake to use terms that have a different meaning. Simply write what you mean. I'm not questioning your use of fats, but to imply that reducing fat leads to 'protein poisoning' is not only incorrect, but it demeans all those who do Stillman or other low fat, low carb plans (e.g., Dukan).

It IS possible to lose weight with low carb AND low fat, and to imply otherwise is not supportive of those of us who make different choices.
Wow that was incredibly hostile and uncalled for. NAF was kindly assisting in ensuring that someone wasn't under the impression that M&E was something that was strictly lean protein and egg whites. He did not use the term incorrectly as it is possible that someone eating high amounts of lean protein with very little fat or carbohydrate intake can end up seriously unwell.

At no stage did I see him being 'unsupportive' of another way of eating, only that he was showing concern for someone's welfare and kindly answering a question. We all try to show respect to each other on this thread and offer support and encouragement. I don't think your comments were warranted at all.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:35 AM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Hello my gorgeous family...I have missed you all. It's so nice to see you all continuing on here and I try to lurk every so often to catch up on how you are all going.

I've read lots of ups and downs and feel so proud of you all for getting back up again if you get knocked down. I feel like I need a round of M&E soon so will be doing a bit of a cycle over our 2 week holiday break at the end of Jun. Teaching life is a bit too hectic for me to survive on M&E at this stage because I think I'm going to go through some serious detox this time around and I generally end up feeling quite ordinary for the first few days...not looking forward to that!!

I haven't had a chance to get fully caught up but will do my best before starting back. Love and hugs to you all...NAF, Terri, QB, Ruralgirl....miss you all
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:52 AM   #306
Senior LCF Member

We miss you too, tashydoll! Good to hear from you.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Great idea, Rural! Thanks so much! I am starting today, and I think I will make that chicken for dinner!

Tashy - so great to see you!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/137.5/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruralgirl View Post
While I've never tried IE, I think for me it would be similarly. I know from just having the flax/soy tortilla chips in my house that the wrong food makes me spiral out of control. . . I'm so glad IE is working for Terri! We are all so unique.
I have a quick meal (quick to prepare, I should say) I do with both of these. I take the frozen thighs or wings, and while they are frozen, I smear bacon grease on them. (It sticks really well then.) I bake this frozen chicken at 375 degrees--thighs for 1 hr. 20 minutes to 1 hr. 30, or until skin is gold brown. I do the wings for 60 - 70 minutes until these are golden brown as well. They have a wonderful flavor. . . I am generous with the bacon grease--a tsp or so per thigh, obviously less for each chicken drumette/wingette.
Oh Mama! I got to try that! Those sound wonderful!

Itís funny Amy,
Now that I can have anything I want (as long as Iím hungry) a lot of my trigger foods donít have the pull for me they once did. I almost have to have them for a meal, because Iím never hungry enough for them otherwise and after the first few times they lose their luster. Itís still sometimes difficult to stop in the middle of a yummy meal, but I tell myself thatís the trade off for being able to eat it at all and that seems to work for me. At least for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
Hello my gorgeous family...I have missed you all. It's so nice to see you all continuing on here and I try to lurk every so often to catch up on how you are all going.
Hey Tash!! Great to see you!!!! You were definitely missed around here!

Morning QB & NAF!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Morning, Terri!

I'm just getting around to a late breakfast of iced BP coffee.
I am trying to decide if I want to make Ruralgirl's chicken or chipotle chicken to have with a few slices of avocado.

I'm super sad that I totally forgot to pick up pickle spears at the store
Old 06-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Morning, Terri!

I'm just getting around to a late breakfast of iced BP coffee.
I am trying to decide if I want to make Ruralgirl's chicken or chipotle chicken to have with a few slices of avocado.

I'm super sad that I totally forgot to pick up pickle spears at the store
I find green olives to be a real great addition too.
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
I find green olives to be a real great addition too.
You know, I just cannot get into olives! Like I made a phenomenal paella one day and I went through and painstakingly removed every olive before eating it!

Late lunch: buttery garlic brisket with a quarter of an avocado with lots of lime and hot sauce.
I may end up chucking the avocado, though... I don't want it to be a barrier to weight loss (although I'm not weighing, so I may not know... I'm complicated. And ramble-y...)

Currently in the oven: Aruralgirl-inspired citrus cheesecake
I used 2 blocks of cream cheese, 10 pkts of splenda, juice from half a lemon, 1/2 tsp of orange zest, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and 1 egg. I'm baking it in an 8x8 Pyrex for 30 minutes at 275 because I think my supremely hot oven may have had something to do with the quiche-like results I got before.
Goal of size 4 by December 31, 2015

Comfortably = no muffin tops or sucking in my gut!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #312
Senior LCF Member

B: Iced BP Coffee
L: Buttery garlic brisket and avocado
D: 2 pieces of citrus cheesecake and 2 pieces of bacon
S: Some colby-jack cheese

Tomorrow's plan:
L: Mustard pork
D: Buffalo chicken salad
I may make a batch of deviled eggs for snacking as well.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:00 AM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Tomorrow's plan:

Sounds good!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #314
Senior LCF Member

All of those times I started LC without carb flu thinking I was lucky... payback was last night. I had the WORST migraine. But I guess that's to be expected when going from eating like a Pac-Man to nearly no carbs. I hope that's the end of it, though! I don't feel much like cooking anything today, so it will probably end up being a grazing day.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #315
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
All of those times I started LC without carb flu thinking I was lucky... payback was last night. I had the WORST migraine. But I guess that's to be expected when going from eating like a Pac-Man to nearly no carbs. I hope that's the end of it, though! I don't feel much like cooking anything today, so it will probably end up being a grazing day.
I feel for you, qurlybee. I remember my "Atkins Flu"/"Carb Flu" experience back in April 2013 when I started. The flu hit me on Day 4... lasted 24hrs...good thing it was a Sunday and still the weekend, but after that I was good as gold and haven't had any complaints since. Hang in there, the headaches and "shock" you are experiencing will pass... it is just a physical sign that it is working!
Old 06-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
I feel for you, qurlybee. I remember my "Atkins Flu"/"Carb Flu" experience back in April 2013 when I started. The flu hit me on Day 4... lasted 24hrs...good thing it was a Sunday and still the weekend, but after that I was good as gold and haven't had any complaints since. Hang in there, the headaches and "shock" you are experiencing will pass... it is just a physical sign that it is working!
I'm all good today - thank goodness!
But I've been craving a ton of salt. I've had SO much today!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm all good today - thank goodness!
But I've been craving a ton of salt. I've had SO much today!
Hmm....would a mug of bullet proof broth or broth in general/something along those lines satisfy those cravings you think?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #318
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Tomorrow's plan:

qurlybee, you may be on to something with this Iced BP Coffee. Not too bad. Def. making me feel less bloated and water-heavy (having to go to the restroom a lot today)!
Old 06-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hmm....would a mug of bullet proof broth or broth in general/something along those lines satisfy those cravings you think?
It definitely would've. But I chose the bacon and cheese route...
I will definitely get some broth together today!

Quote:
qurlybee, you may be on to something with this Iced BP Coffee. Not too bad. Def. making me feel less bloated and water-heavy (having to go to the restroom a lot today)!
I needed to have iced because it's wayyyyyy too hot in Texas for hot coffee! But I'm happy you like it!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Late breakfast: Teriyaki chicken and citrus cheesecake
I'm really loving the cheesecake although I will lower the orange zest next time - it's perfect for summer, but it tastes almost too much like sunshine!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:04 AM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Dinner was more teriyaki chicken, but in wing form. I also had a little avocado chocolate pudding.
I think I am going to do a fat fast tomorrow with a fat bomb protein shake (3 servings), bacon egg salad, and chicken salad.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post

I've read lots of ups and downs and feel so proud of you all for getting back up again if you get knocked down. I feel like I need a round of M&E soon so will be doing a bit of a cycle over our 2 week holiday break at the end of Jun. Teaching life is a bit too hectic for me to survive on M&E at this stage because I think I'm going to go through some serious detox this time around and I generally end up feeling quite ordinary for the first few days...not looking forward to that!!

I haven't had a chance to get fully caught up but will do my best before starting back. Love and hugs to you all...NAF, Terri, QB, Ruralgirl....miss you all
So good to hear from you, Tashy! I was wondering how our southern hemisphere friends were doing.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh Mama! I got to try that! Those sound wonderful!

Itís funny Amy,
Now that I can have anything I want (as long as Iím hungry) a lot of my trigger foods donít have the pull for me they once did. I almost have to have them for a meal, because Iím never hungry enough for them otherwise and after the first few times they lose their luster. Itís still sometimes difficult to stop in the middle of a yummy meal, but I tell myself thatís the trade off for being able to eat it at all and that seems to work for me. At least for now.
I think it's cool that you found a WOE that works for you. There are days when I would love to join you! For me, the cravings start coming back, unfortunately.

So, now that nothing is off limits, do you find yourself staying away from typical LC foods--needing a break--or do you find you still crave some of the foods you had when LCing?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member

B: Bacon egg salad
D: Carl's Jr LC bacon double cheeseburger & Diet Dr. Pepper
So much for fat fast... I wanted a burger!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Hey QB,

Loved the comment "it's too much sunshine" about the citrus cheesecake.

I have heard about the avocado chocolate pudding. How do you make it? And does it totally take on the chocolate flavor?

Glad you are posting your meals. It inspires me to do better. Not that I'm not LCing, but I usually keep a better eye on my calorie count. Well, I'm tracking it, and watching it go about 200 - 300 calories higher than usual. Unfortunately I am one of those people who needs to watch carbs and how many calories, too. But at least I'm not gaining!

A big hello to you, too, Naf.

Well, M&E fam, it's pork rinds and a wedge of laughing cow cheese for dinner. Gotta love it!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #326
Senior LCF Member

Hey, Rural!
I definitely put too much zest in there!

I made mine with an avocado, a couple of heaping teaspoons of cocoa powder, some Splenda, and enough cream and coconut milk to make it pudding-like (I'm not sure of the amount!). I whipped it all in my Nutribullet. It was yummy. It's very rich, though. I only had a few spoonfuls.

I am posting to hold myself accountable, so I am happy it is helping you, too! I haven't counted calories in a loooooong time - that must be a pain. I don't really count carbs either, though. I just don't eat many things that have many carbs to make it easier, even when I'm off M&E. The only carbs I had today were in the lettuce wrap of my burger. I'm lazy... lol. It's just easier for me to do it that way. When I'm off M&E (probably after a couple of weeks), I will just add in a few more cups of leafy greens. I don't want to have to count anything.

For some reason, I cannot get into pork rinds! I need to figure out how to make them tasty since they're so convenient!

Last edited by qurlybee; 06-13-2014 at 06:13 PM..
Old 06-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #327
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
. . . A big hello to you, too, Naf.

Hey there! I hope all is well.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #328
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I think it's cool that you found a WOE that works for you. There are days when I would love to join you! For me, the cravings start coming back, unfortunately.

So, now that nothing is off limits, do you find yourself staying away from typical LC foods--needing a break--or do you find you still crave some of the foods you had when LCing?
Hey Amy,
The short answer is yes, yes and well, not so much. When I first started it was English muffins for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and potatoes for dinner. But when you can only eat to satisfaction, it’s either a muffin OR eggs, either a sandwich (or half) OR some chips, either a potato OR a steak.

The other part is eating what you really want. I found I only had so much room before I was satisfied and I started really wanting a salad, but “make it fried chicken” or chicken wings are great and a fry or two is plenty. I’ve started out the day a couple times thinking (especially after the weekend) “ I’ll just do a M&E day or maybe even FF to get myself back to ground zero”. But I find myself craving and then have what I want, just until I’m satisfied, and it all works out.

Now this week has been my birthday week. I’ve had Magnum Ice Cream Bars when I wasn’t really hungry and ate more brownies for lunch than I would have if I were listening to my hunger signals. And I do feel a tightening in the jeans. So do I go for the “quick fix” or “fall back into the lifestyle”? This time I’m going for lifestyle. I’m not going to weigh until the end of the month, I’m going to have what I want, but I’m going back to only eating when I’m hungry and stopping when I’m satisfied.

The jury is out. I may change my tune at the end of the month. But this is, in so many ways, my “Mr. Right Now” and he’s pretty darn sexy. Sorry NAF

Quote:
I am posting to hold myself accountable, so I am happy it is helping you, too! I haven't counted calories in a loooooong time - that must be a pain. I don't really count carbs either, though. I just don't eat many things that have many carbs to make it easier, even when I'm off M&E. The only carbs I had today were in the lettuce wrap of my burger. I'm lazy... lol. It's just easier for me to do it that way. When I'm off M&E (probably after a couple of weeks), I will just add in a few more cups of leafy greens. I don't want to have to count anything.

For some reason, I cannot get into pork rinds! I need to figure out how to make them tasty since they're so convenient!
I hear ya QB! I’m so done with counting!!!! Just eat what you know works and go for it.

I can eat a pork rind or two and then it just tastes like saw dust. Enter sour cream, mixed with a little salsa one time or pesto another. Makes all the difference in the world for me.

Luv you Fam Have a great weekend!!

Last edited by TerriMM; 06-13-2014 at 11:00 PM..
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #329
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Now this week has been my birthday week. . . .

The jury is out. I may change my tune at the end of the month. But this is, in so many ways, my ďMr. Right NowĒ and heís pretty darn sexy. Sorry NAF . . .

I hear ya QB! Iím so done with counting!!!! Just eat what you know works and go for it.

Luv you Fam Have a great weekend!!

Happy Belated Birthday!
No worries; I thought that was pretty good. (re: IE is your "Mr. Right Now" and pretty darn sexy).
I needed to hear that "just eat what you know works and go for it." Eh, I'll explain more in my next post.

Hope everyone has a great Father's Day weekend!
Old 06-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Morning, family!

It has been a while since I've made a post about my progress and whatnot. The reason is because the scale hasn't been moving the way I have really wanted it to the past two weeks. With that said, I've only gained 0.4 pounds in the past 8 days-- that's right, not even a whole pound since my weigh-in last Saturday, but the fluctuations between these same 5-7lbs are getting so frustrating these days!

I've picked up my cardio a lot this week compared to weeks' past.. I got in 3 jump rope workouts this week (equallying roughly 40mins of HIIT) and before the day is over will have accumulated 8 miles worth of walking. So, I'm pretty sure I'm have some water retention with the muscles!

I wrote some things earlier in my journal this week that pretty much sums up how I'm feeling about my fluctuations, workouts, and whatnot. So, I'm just going to paste it here. I apologize to those of you who have already seen and read this before.

Quote:
. . .
A random victory-- I finally completed some high knees while doing the jump rope workout this morning. That move has always been so difficult for me. But even though I did not do it long...I can do about 10 and then I mess up...it is something "new" for me. I'm excited about it, and hope that it will help me in the fat loss department.

Speaking of fat loss, I was reading someone's post about how a woman lost all kinds of fat and gained muscle, but still ended up being the same weight of 155lbs. Thats kind of the way ive been feeling about myself and my weight these days... I could care less if I weighed 350lbs again, if it was a muscular and healthy 350, and there lies my problem, or did anyway....it was a chubby, out of shape 350lbs. But I can look back and smile and know that I have now gained the knowledge to get myself where I want to be on this Fat loss journey.

Unfortunately, I am not "beach body ready" at the moment.... but who knows what August may bring or Summer 2015 if I am blessed enough to live and see it. But that is okay. I am already happier, healthier, and skinnier than I was at this time last summer, and if I play my cards right I will be able to say the exact same to myself next summer in 2015 about right now!

Wishing everyone the very best in their low carb ventures.

NAF