Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maepowers
Stats: 290/237/140
WOE: Low Carb, my way/ M&E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruralgirl View Post
Hey Naf, glad you're keeping things going in the M&E family. Just checking in to say hi, but also know I need to get back to serious M&Eing myself. I've got a bag of Trader Joe's flax and soy tortilla chips in my cabinet and have discovered that, although somewhat low carb, this is not a safe thing to have around. I practically hear those chips calling my name! Kind of like having a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter in my cabinet. For me, not such a good idea!

So, back to what is safe--deviled eggs, eggs with bacon, cream cheese pie, and meat in various forms. Hoping to get back in serious mode on Tuesday.

How are you doing?

Amy

P.S. Hiya, Mae! And a big hello to our newbies and lurkers.
--------------
Heya Amy! and NAF! Hi and welcome to everyone. Naf said it right Nurse. Mostly eggs and meat easy on condiments/spices, stay moderate to high in fat, find what works for you without over doing it. Read some of the older ones from earlier this year or search the forum here, and you'll find out what it is all about. Like others say, your mileage may vary. So will your tastes. Keep it simple and you won't go wrong.

Naf, glad to hear you're doing well, we lub ya, little bro. hehe. Same with you Amy (Aruralgal), yeah stay away from the chips even if they are low carb. . Hey Terri and our regulars, hope some of you got over being sick and back to enjoying life and L/C. Welcome new friends. We're here for ya. Good luck all.

Hope every one is having a good holiday weekend. Doing a few extra carbs this weekend, not bad ones, just like some fruit and greek yogurt and then back to M/E on Tuesday for the rest of the week. Find this helps me lose better. Lost 9 lbs last week doing three days of smoothies, low carb of course, then rest of the time M/E with up days down days thrown in. I'm finally losing that holiday weight gain and exercising more again, and not gonna gain it back again. Darn it.
maepowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Quote:
Hey Naf, glad you're keeping things going in the M&E family. Just checking in to say hi, but also know I need to get back to serious M&Eing myself. I've got a bag of Trader Joe's flax and soy tortilla chips in my cabinet and have discovered that, although somewhat low carb, this is not a safe thing to have around. I practically hear those chips calling my name! Kind of like having a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter in my cabinet. For me, not such a good idea!

So, back to what is safe--deviled eggs, eggs with bacon, cream cheese pie, and meat in various forms. Hoping to get back in serious mode on Tuesday.

How are you doing?

Amy

P.S. Hiya, Mae! And a big hello to our newbies and lurkers.

Hey there, Amy!
I hear you loud and clear on the "having temptation in the house" situation-- coincidently mine is indeed having Peter Pan Peanut Butter in the cabinet. But, I do not dig into it EVERYDAY like the old NAF used to do before starting low carb-- it isonly for treat/reward purposes.

With that said, May has been a so-so month as far as the weight loss. I've been fluctuating between the same 6 lbs for the majority of the month; it's so frustrating. I too am going to stick to low carb really hard this last week and try to get into [even more] serious mode and see if I can't get some sort of "whoosh" on the scale by the end of the month. Not to mention I need to step up my cardio game and get it in more regularly. I've only walked 6 miles so far this Spring and Summer 2014 season and only average one jump rope workout a week...very disappointing. I have got to work on that.

Here's wishing us both much success in the weeks ahead.

NAF
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maepowers View Post
--------------
Heya Amy! and NAF! Hi and welcome to everyone. Naf said it right Nurse. Mostly eggs and meat easy on condiments/spices, stay moderate to high in fat, find what works for you without over doing it. Read some of the older ones from earlier this year or search the forum here, and you'll find out what it is all about. Like others say, your mileage may vary. So will your tastes. Keep it simple and you won't go wrong.

Naf, glad to hear you're doing well, we lub ya, little bro. hehe. Same with you Amy (Aruralgal), yeah stay away from the chips even if they are low carb. . Hey Terri and our regulars, hope some of you got over being sick and back to enjoying life and L/C. Welcome new friends. We're here for ya. Good luck all.

Hope every one is having a good holiday weekend. Doing a few extra carbs this weekend, not bad ones, just like some fruit and greek yogurt and then back to M/E on Tuesday for the rest of the week. Find this helps me lose better. Lost 9 lbs last week doing three days of smoothies, low carb of course, then rest of the time M/E with up days down days thrown in. I'm finally losing that holiday weight gain and exercising more again, and not gonna gain it back again. Darn it.

Hi, Mae!
Congrats on the 9lbs lost! That is amazing. Here's hoping I too can experience a good "whoosh" on the scale like that before the month ends.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #274
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 143.7/138.7/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Hi Fam,

Just checking in. I got myself a new workout machine. He name is Angus McGee and he is keeping me hoping for sure.
2014-05-17 10.35.27.jpg
Iím very happy to be doing IE right now. With the puppy I donít think I could do anything else, as I can eat whatever I want, as long as Iím hungry. I canít say that Iíve been perfect. I wasnít really hungry for those chips yesterday but I donít feel like Iíve blown it or have to ďrestart and recommitĒ to something and that is so unstressful. Iím pretty much just maintaining, which is just fine for the moment!

Hope everyone is well
Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Awesome, Terri! And congrats to the new addition at home/the "workout machine." He's a cute little fella. Stay in touch! And as always...wishing you much success!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #276
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
Awesome, Terri! And congrats to the new addition at home/the "workout machine." He's a cute little fella. Stay in touch! And as always...wishing you much success!
That NAF You're still doing great!
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamalaw
Stats: 291/260/140 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: May 1,2012
Quote:

I have to know...What is cream cheese pie?
mamalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #278
Senior LCF Member

I started to do M&E the end of last year and never really got into it. A lot of family stuff...never a good idea to try and start something new like this around the holidays. Can someone give me a run down of the dos and don'ts like whats legal and an idea of what you eat? Any help would be great. Lisa

And again...What is cream cheese pie??
Old 05-31-2014, 04:42 AM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalaw View Post
I started to do M&E the end of last year and never really got into it. A lot of family stuff...never a good idea to try and start something new like this around the holidays. Can someone give me a run down of the dos and don'ts like whats legal and an idea of what you eat? Any help would be great. Lisa

And again...What is cream cheese pie??

Cream cheese pie is also known as low carb cheesecake. There are 100s of variations of the recipe. Just search the Internet, or our own lowcarbfriends recipe forum to find a recipe that suits your tastebuds.

In a nutshell, Meat and Eggs (also known as Steak and Eggs) is one of several versions of Low Carb Ways of Eating. The basic rule of thumb is try to eat very clean-- meaning no processed meats, etc. It is probably best to stay away from those Atkins meals with the carbquick as well as any bars, snacks, and desserts; they do tend to do more harm than good. Please note that we tend not to limit our fat intake that much on M&E. We tend to consume it and not give it a 2nd thought because it keeps us full, stops protein poisoning, and helps with maintaining regular restroom habits if you get my drift.

Wishing you much success,

NAF
Old 05-31-2014, 04:48 AM   #280
Senior LCF Member

I hope everyone is doing well. This past week I was able to lose 1.4lbs-- that's the most I've lost in a week this month.

The month of May produced little weight loss overall, but the important thing is there were still overall losses and not overall gains! I've still been able to keep off a solid 15lbs since the end of January...go me! With Summer 21 days away, it's time embrace my successes since last Summer and enjoy the season!

Wishing everyone much success!

NAF
Old 05-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #281
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Geez NAF, you seem to be holding down the fort single handedly! I haven't posted much since I'm not doing M&E right now, but I'm always checking in and cheering your progress!

I'm pretty stoked today. I woke up to seeing the 130s for the first time in a year, technically 139.9
Old 05-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
. . .I'm pretty stoked today. I woke up to seeing the 130s for the first time in a year, technically 139.9

You go, girl! I'm stoked for you also! That's awesome.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #283
Senior LCF Member

NAF....Thanks for the info. looking for that recipe NOW...lol. I'm with you any loss is a win.

TerriMM....Way to go!!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aruralgirl
Stats: 216/177/160 ht. 5'7
WOE: FF/M&E
Start Date: April 2013
Here you go, Mamalaw.

Cream Cheese Pie
--2 bricks of cream cheese (8 oz. each)
--2 eggs
--1/2 Ė 3/4 cup of granular Splenda (I used 3/4)
--1 tsp. vanilla extract
--1 tsp. lemon or orange extract

Soften cream cheese for approximately 40 seconds in microwave. Stir in other ingredients and beat with a mixer until smooth. Pour into a buttered pie plate and bake at 350 until setóabout 20 minutes.

Variations:
For a chocolate cream cheese pie, add 4 tbsp. of cocoa powder and 4 tbsp. of sour cream and replace lemon or orange extract with 1 tsp. of almond extract.
For a chocolate mint pie, follow the above variation, substituting 1 1/2 tsp. of peppermint extract for the almond extract.
Aruralgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Good job, Naf and Terri, on the weight loss. Terri, sounds like IE is just the thing for you.

Hope you all are enjoying summer.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Aruralgirl.... I wonder if you could use torani/davinci sryup in this?

I totally misunderstood...I thought on M&E all we ate was meat & eggs NOTHING else but Im seeing recipes with cream cheese, coconut milk and other things on the M&E recipe board.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Just wanted to share a recipe I found...

Cheesecake Fluff
Ingredients
8oz cream cheese
4oz heavy cream
4T sour cream
4T Torani Sugarfree Syrup (here I used Salted Caramel and it is delicious)
OR you could use vanilla extract + sweetener to taste

Lisa
Old 06-03-2014, 04:41 AM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Aruralgirl.... I wonder if you could use torani/davinci sryup in this?

I totally misunderstood...I thought on M&E all we ate was meat & eggs NOTHING else but Im seeing recipes with cream cheese, coconut milk and other things on the M&E recipe board.
Not at all. You need to have your fats; in fact, it is a must on M&E in order to keep you full, combat protein poisoning, and keep you regular. Foods like cream cheese, oils, butter, etc. are staples on this WOE and are great ways to incorporate it in your meals while doing M&E.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:18 AM   #289
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Excuse me, but 'protein poisoning' is not an issue if eating solely meat and eggs.

So-called 'protein poisoning' or 'rabbit starvation' occurs ONLY when a person limits to lean meat only (e.g., rabbit) in excess of 300g a day--and there are also environmental stressors--such as extreme weather. The phenomenon was observed among Arctic explorers, for example.

If any individual is eating meat (and including fatty meat) and whole eggs (the yolks are fat), there would be enough fat in the diet to maintain health.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leo41 By making sure we get the fats we insure we feel better and lose more consistently. Perhaps not the technical definition of Ďprotein poisoning', but the term helps us to remember the fat and continue to feel tip top.

Thanks AG & ML
Old 06-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #291
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I think it's a mistake to use terms that have a different meaning. Simply write what you mean. I'm not questioning your use of fats, but to imply that reducing fat leads to 'protein poisoning' is not only incorrect, but it demeans all those who do Stillman or other low fat, low carb plans (e.g., Dukan).

It IS possible to lose weight with low carb AND low fat, and to imply otherwise is not supportive of those of us who make different choices.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We certainly don’t mean to offend anyone. Our little group is about open mindedness and support of each other and whatever works for each of us. We do things a little differently sometimes because it works for us. Our WOE is an open and growing one, based on our experiences and many bits of knowledge gleaned from many different sources that we share and evolve together.

We don’t make judgments about any one’s WOE. Obviously you are a fine example of great success following a completely different mindset than ours, congratulations. We would certainly be the last group to tell you to do anything differently, or imply you’re doing anything wrong. But we are careful to not attack others and keep it friendly.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
Not at all. You need to have your fats; in fact, it is a must on M&E in order to keep you full, combat protein poisoning, and keep you regular. Foods like cream cheese, oils, butter, etc. are staples on this WOE and are great ways to incorporate it in your meals while doing M&E.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Excuse me, but 'protein poisoning' is not an issue if eating solely meat and eggs.

So-called 'protein poisoning' or 'rabbit starvation' occurs ONLY when a person limits to lean meat only (e.g., rabbit) in excess of 300g a day--and there are also environmental stressors--such as extreme weather. The phenomenon was observed among Arctic explorers, for example.

If any individual is eating meat (and including fatty meat) and whole eggs (the yolks are fat), there would be enough fat in the diet to maintain health.

You make a valid point, Leo41, and I didn't mean to offend you so much with my response. I was just answering a member's question based on how I understood M&E worked, and what I have picked up over the past year; I suppose I still have a lot of learning left to do. My response was not said with any ridicule or verbal malice, however, it apparently came across that way to you, and for that I'm sorry. It was unintentional, just as I am assuming your response (both of them actually) carried an unintentional tone of anger and resentment. I'm sure that wasn't the idea, you just wanted to make sure that a point was made very clear to the reader. As Terri pointed out, we are very open to ideas, and feedback, but we always try to keep it friendly too. Again, sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by NewestAtkinsFan; 06-04-2014 at 06:26 PM..
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
We certainly donít mean to offend anyone. Our little group is about open mindedness and support of each other and whatever works for each of us. We do things a little differently sometimes because it works for us. Our WOE is an open and growing one, based on our experiences and many bits of knowledge gleaned from many different sources that we share and evolve together.

We donít make judgments about any oneís WOE. Obviously you are a fine example of great success following a completely different mindset than ours, congratulations. We would certainly be the last group to tell you to do anything differently, or imply youíre doing anything wrong. But we are careful to not attack others and keep it friendly.
What she said.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Naf, thanks so much for keeping the M&E thread going. I'm thankful for the inspiration and encouragement you give us regulars. You rock!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just wanted to share a recipe I found...

Cheesecake Fluff
Ingredients
8oz cream cheese
4oz heavy cream
4T sour cream
4T Torani Sugarfree Syrup (here I used Salted Caramel and it is delicious)
OR you could use vanilla extract + sweetener to taste

Lisa
Sounds yummy, Lisa. Thanks! I imagine that Salted Caramel is good stuff! To answer your question, not sure if Torani sugarfree syrups would work in the pie. You might search through the cream cheese muffin thread. The pie is just this basic recipe baked in a pie form.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4/6
WOE: Low Carb Vegan
Start Date: September 2014
Hi, everyone!
I am officially done with intuitive eating - it is definitely not for me! And I gained like 15 lbs to boot (eek!)
I am back to M&E for the foreseeable future! Is there a summer thread?
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
Hi, everyone!
I am officially done with intuitive eating - it is definitely not for me! And I gained like 15 lbs to boot (eek!)
I am back to M&E for the foreseeable future! Is there a summer thread?
Hey, qurlybee. Long time no see.
Several regulars have ventured off to do other WOE for the time being, but they are still lurking and contributing and touching base when they can. No, there is no Summer thread just yet...I think we are waiting until it gets closer to the 21st (the official start of Summer) to start it.

Good to have you back!

NAF
Old 06-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #299
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi QB! Sorry IE didn't work for you. I'm still hanging with it since you introduced me. I haven't lost much, but have maintained on the low end of my window and even glanced and a new low number for the year. M&E is such an easy fall back to. Plus the family is great.

NAF & Amy

Last edited by TerriMM; 06-08-2014 at 10:30 AM..
Old 06-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4/6
WOE: Low Carb Vegan
Start Date: September 2014
Makes sense! Thanks, NAF! I will be around here posting to hold myself accountable for sure

That's SO great, Terri! I wish I could handle it but as soon as I reintroduced serious carbs, I had a hard time stopping when I was full and resisting and then fell back into eating wheat, to which I am allergic! One day, I think. It's definitely my ultimate goal!
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote