Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: emijan
Stats: 195/getting there/140
WOE: Intuitive Eating= the way God planned it
Hi everyone,

I have decided that if I do not learn intuitive eating (I have known about it for years) it won't matter how much weight I lose...I have proven it in 14 years of dieting starting at 140 (only 10-15lb from where I wanted to be) to my current weight of 190+.....just LC and then binging and 'wash rinse repeat'....

Today has been a great day...I enjoyed everything I ate and never felt stuffed...since I didn't eat anything other than normal food I was able to enjoy an outing with my daughter for 3 hours....she got hungry and got herself potato chips...I wasn't hungry for them so waited till I got home to have some other yumee food....

I am currently drinking a nice mint drink I invented (at least I have never had it before ever)....it is non caloric and LC for those who are interested:

I am growing lemon mint and of course have a ton...I pick it, rinse it, tear the leaves off and blend them in blender.....strain twice using simple strainer....and use it as a concentrate to make the mint juice...just add some to water and add splenda to taste

My journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...n-journal.html
emijan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #122
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
That mint drink sounds really good and refreshing. I've never seen lemon mint before and I wonder if it will grow in AZ. I'll have to look into that.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

I am sure it will with enough water. I am from Israel and we grew mint there
Old 06-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
I have been feeling the same way emijan, dieting has just made me fatter, and if I don't learn IE properly, there is no diet in the world that will work for me! Well, I don't believe they'll work for me no matter what, but I've been dieting my whole life and I went from just a slightly plumpish person to a very overweight person with all that dieting.

Makes me mad, and sad too.
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

day 3 of IE eating.....FREEDOM! I am not thinking about food as much.....since I do not eat unless I am hungry and when I am I can eat whatever I want life is much simpler....I have a total aversion to LC food.....meaning just having meat/eggs/cheese/fat without balance.....

I am gone all day for work so I make sure to pack small servings of anything that looks good in the fridge. For example today i took 2 4oz serving of cereal, grapes, Almond milk (gross), 1 string cheese...yesterday I grabbed a tomato, and....you know what? I can't remember....and it does not matter...it is just food....

I feel so free......
Old 06-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

That's so amazing emijan! I'm looking forward to reading about your journey. Tell us more, if you don't mind, how you came to this place. I know what you mean about an aversion to "low carb" foods. Tonight I had steak we grilled, which was one of my favorite low carb meals, but I made hasselback potatoes instead of a veggie side dish like I always did on low carb.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Anybody that knows me, knows that I have been on a QUEST for "the perfect" brownie for quite some time. I believe I have tried them ALL. Black bean brownies, low fat brownies, low carb brownies, reduced fat, sugar free. The list goes on and on. I made a pan of low carb brownies today and they were (as always) a disappointment...

Then I asked myself...why do I want the "perfect" brownie recipe in the first place? So I can sit around and eat half the pan in one day and not feel guilty or gain weight. Once again I'm trying to find a loophole that allows me to be a hog. I have to learn to have the REAL thing, savor it without binging, and FORGET about it like skinny people do. So far, that's been difficult. But I feel like at least I know what the problem is now, after years of yo-yo dieting.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattbelly View Post
That's so amazing emijan! I'm looking forward to reading about your journey. Tell us more, if you don't mind, how you came to this place. I know what you mean about an aversion to "low carb" foods. Tonight I had steak we grilled, which was one of my favorite low carb meals, but I made hasselback potatoes instead of a veggie side dish like I always did on low carb.
I read the book "weigh Down" it is a God led approach to eating (God made everything including hunger and not hunger feeling....we need to eat according to this....love the book....the Author kinda veered off later in years in ways of her belief as far as the Trinity but I just refer to the truth in the book)

I read it way back in 2007....I did lose over 6lb in a short time but then let my gluten self feed it self......

I KNOW that I can't follow LC for life...I know God designed all kinds of food for our enjoyment....I know that moderation is key....and I am tired of the yo yo game...
Old 06-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
Anybody that knows me, knows that I have been on a QUEST for "the perfect" brownie for quite some time. I believe I have tried them ALL. Black bean brownies, low fat brownies, low carb brownies, reduced fat, sugar free. The list goes on and on. I made a pan of low carb brownies today and they were (as always) a disappointment...

Then I asked myself...why do I want the "perfect" brownie recipe in the first place? So I can sit around and eat half the pan in one day and not feel guilty or gain weight. Once again I'm trying to find a loophole that allows me to be a hog. I have to learn to have the REAL thing, savor it without binging, and FORGET about it like skinny people do. So far, that's been difficult. But I feel like at least I know what the problem is now, after years of yo-yo dieting.
so true....I once had a huge pan of eggplant Parmesan by myself just because it was 'legal' LC food....maybe 3000 or more calories....insane!

In Weigh Down Gawn talks about waiting not just for hunger but also wait until you figure what you are hungry for....she talks about eating M&M...not tearing the bag open and dumping it in your mouth but taking one...laying on tongue and letting it melt...savoring the taste...after all, when you eat it fast your stomach can't taste it....

I am still in rayer about how to eat some favorite foods and therefore waiting to have them.....those foods that I love and have portion control issues...
Old 06-12-2014, 06:15 AM   #130

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:

Keira had a brownie party at school yesterday, so we made rocky road brownies. Unfortunately, she brought half the pan home and I ate a good chunk of what was left. I'm having a hard time with stopping when I'm satisfied lately, even though I have no problem waiting until I'm hungry.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

I have a solution for that 'I had a hard time stopping cause it was so yumee' dilemma...

Since we are trying to go back and eat like 3-4 year old (remember? they only want to eat when they are hungry...they rather play than eat cause food is just for nourishment and not for fun...and as soon as they are full they want to go back to what they were doing..)...so when we were a little older we would come back from school SO HUNGRY we piled up our plates with food ("bigger eyes than mouths" grandma said) and when we realized we were full we did not want to 'finish' and 'clean' our plate so we would 'accidentally' pour water on it or spill a ton of salt making our food inedible. Now one can say it is a waste....OK....it is...but it is just for the learning process of how to have self control....better in the garbage than our hips.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

The weekend cooking marathon posed some self control issues. Knowing that I will have be mentally ready next weekend. Nevertheless, I am down half a lb so that's encouraging.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I've been jotting down names of books and authors, blogs and websites that deal with IE so that I can explore them all a little at a time. I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone else, but I thought I'd put together a running list we can keep and anyone can add to it at any time. What do you guys think?

Books:
*The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens
*How to Have You Cake and Your Skinny Jeans Too by Josie Spinardi
*Intuitive Eating by Tribole & Resch
*Ditching Diets by Gillian Riley
*Overcoming Overeating by Hirschman & Munter
*I Can Make You Thin by Paul McKenna
*Diets Don't Work by Bob Schwartz
*Diet Recovery and Diet Recovery 2 by Matt Stone
*Multiple books by Geneen Roth

Websites and Blogs:
*Happy Eaters
*The Anti-Diet Project
*Evelyn Tribole's website in the Resources section there's a subsection on Intuitive Eating with tons of articles, interviews, research, support groups, etc.
I would like to add:

Mindless Eating- Brian Wansink Ph.D.- Looks at experiments run at food labs to discover what makes us overeat without even realizing we're doing it. (You will overeat chocolates from a clear candy dish a lot more than you will from an opaque one. You will eat fewer chicken wings if you have to stare at the bones and realize how many you've eaten rather than having a waitress take them out of your sight.) Stuff like that.

FULL- Michael A. Snyder M.D.- Lots of Intuitive Eating tips here from a bariatric surgeon. The surgery is only the first step. After that, you need to build your "Full toolbox" to keep your success going.

Full-Filled- Renee Stephens- Ehh...maybe a little "psycho-babbly" at times, but she has lots of good exercises to do (grab your journal) that help us identify exactly what makes us overeat and how to change it.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #134

Quote:
I would like to add:

Mindless Eating- Brian Wansink Ph.D.- Looks at experiments run at food labs to discover what makes us overeat without even realizing we're doing it. (You will overeat chocolates from a clear candy dish a lot more than you will from an opaque one. You will eat fewer chicken wings if you have to stare at the bones and realize how many you've eaten rather than having a waitress take them out of your sight.) Stuff like that.

FULL- Michael A. Snyder M.D.- Lots of Intuitive Eating tips here from a bariatric surgeon. The surgery is only the first step. After that, you need to build your "Full toolbox" to keep your success going.

Full-Filled- Renee Stephens- Ehh...maybe a little "psycho-babbly" at times, but she has lots of good exercises to do (grab your journal) that help us identify exactly what makes us overeat and how to change it.
This is great JMC. Exactly what I was hoping folks would do. I want a full arsenal of reading material to fall back on when I need more information to keep me motivated!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
This is great JMC. Exactly what I was hoping folks would do. I want a full arsenal of reading material to fall back on when I need more information to keep me motivated!
Thanks, Carol. I am on the lookout for all the books in your list.

I just got "diets don't work" from my library and although it's a quick read, all it really comes down to is his 4 key points. Which are the same as the key points in "I can make you thin." Eat only when hungry, eat what you want, eat consciously, stop when you think you are full.

Speaking of which, my 2 dollar used copy of ICMYT didn't come with the CD. I got a copy at my library that had the CD and it's all loaded up on my MP3 player. Will it make a difference? I don't know. Has anybody here used the CD? Some say he is "growling" and don't like the sound of the CD. I actually like it. I'm not pinning all my hopes on a "hypnosis" CD of mumbo jumbo. I'm just hoping it helps me relax and sleep.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Down to 186.6....That's 3.4lb since I started just IE 10 days ago.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #137

That's awesome emijan!!!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Wow!
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

I decided to stop reading about IE, I felt that I was spending too much time thinking about it which is what I am trying to get away from. Not all meals are a success, if I eat beyond just-satisfied I just wait for 'empty' again.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Wow emijan! It's going great!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Wow emijan! It's going great!
Thank you.

I just refused to diet. 14 years of that and I'm 55 pounds heavier than when I started. I don't have it I still gravitate towards the diet mentality. The other day my food tasted good so I hate more than I should have. Immediately I tried to put it in the plan: I thought maybe I should do intermediate fasting, I started reading the blogs about it.... Then I caught myself and thought: I am done, I don't want to spend all my time reading about diet thinking about food. I want my life back. I want to demonstrate to my two teenage girls that dieting is no good that you can lose weight just eating when you're hungry and stopping when you are full. He takes self-control and willpower but so does dieting. I can either let the food control me or I can control it. I am tired of the food having all the power.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Wow emijan I'm really impressed with your decision. We all have to make our own decisions, so my saying that doesn't negate the experiences of those who find IF and such helpful for them, but I am in the same boat you are in. I've dieted my whole life and turned a girl who was just voluptuous into an obese adult-dieting the whole way. I think the greatest gift you could give your teen girls is to teach them to never, EVER go on a diet, to embrace themselves as they are and to learn to trust the wisdom of their own bodies.

"The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Old 06-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattbelly View Post
Wow emijan I'm really impressed with your decision. We all have to make our own decisions, so my saying that doesn't negate the experiences of those who find IF and such helpful for them, but I am in the same boat you are in. I've dieted my whole life and turned a girl who was just voluptuous into an obese adult-dieting the whole way. I think the greatest gift you could give your teen girls is to teach them to never, EVER go on a diet, to embrace themselves as they are and to learn to trust the wisdom of their own bodies.
WORD!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Well, today I found myself at McDonalds. I ordered a 10 pc nugget and medium fries. When I finished the 7th nugget and still had 1/4 of my fries left, I looked up and said to myself "I am full." The rest of the food went in the trash. I've never done that at McDonalds. I usually order (and finish) enough to feed 2 people: sandwich, nuggets, upsize the drink and fries, and order ice cream to top it off. But not today.

I don't want a medal or anything. I'm just stating it as a fact. That's NEVER happened before. I think I'm really onto something. This "Intuitive Eating" business really works. I was hugely skeptical at first. After a few weeks, I'm back down into the low 250s again. I haven't been this low since before Halloween last year. In my most recent low carb stint where I punished myself, I barely broke out of the 260s.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:15 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, today I found myself at McDonalds. I ordered a 10 pc nugget and medium fries. When I finished the 7th nugget and still had 1/4 of my fries left, I looked up and said to myself "I am full." The rest of the food went in the trash. I've never done that at McDonalds. I usually order (and finish) enough to feed 2 people: sandwich, nuggets, upsize the drink and fries, and order ice cream to top it off. But not today.

I don't want a medal or anything. I'm just stating it as a fact. That's NEVER happened before. I think I'm really onto something. This "Intuitive Eating" business really works. I was hugely skeptical at first. After a few weeks, I'm back down into the low 250s again. I haven't been this low since before Halloween last year. In my most recent low carb stint where I punished myself, I barely broke out of the 260s.
:hugs :

Every time you make a choice to not over eat you are a winner....if you stumble, you get up.....Proud of you for making a choice to obey your physical signals of hunger and fullness!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

I am relearning to eat....I am mind full of my hunger....I am learning a few 'tricks' that hopefully will become second nature after practicing them for a while.

1. yesterday I was on the road and so hungry....I decided to stop at Costco to get their pizza...I love it and it is inexpensive...and huge...so I had them cut it in half and savored every bite...and left the other half....I wanted it...really bad but i promised myself I can have it later when I am hungry again...and wouldn't you know that after 10 min I lost interest....about 4 hours later I was hungry and got to enjoy the 2nd half guilt free.

2. I came back to the office to realize that they has a in-service and got chinese....I was not hungry but wanted some...I put it on a paper plate and put the whole thing in a big zip lock.....about 15-20 min later I took a few bites.....closed the bag...went to see a patient which took 2 hours...came back and had some more....took the rest home and about an hour ago (10pm) shared it with a friend).....4 meals out of what would have been 1 meal before...
Old 06-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #147

Excellent emijan! It's hard to push away, and especially throw away food. You did it!

Oh, and I'd give you a medal if I had one.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:24 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/133/120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
I would like to add:

I'd like to add that "Eating Less" by Gillian Riley is a longer/ more in depth? version of Ditching Diets. I've read both; while Ditching Diets covers the bases, Eating Less goes really in depth with a lot of talk on self-esteem and how it's important for the process.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tara1970
Stats: 176/158/Happy@140/Ideal@128
WOE: CAD/One Meal A Day/Gluten Free
Quote:
It's hard to push away, and especially throw away food. You did it!
I have to remind myself sometimes 'my body's not a trashcan'!!
Tara1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:24 AM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara1970 View Post
I have to remind myself sometimes 'my body's not a trashcan'!!
What a great line! I'll be using that one on myself.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote