Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #91
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I'm still working on figuring out when to stop. I'm having trouble sensing a difference in taste as I go along, but I'm still hoping I'll develop more of that over time. I find it hard work to keep paying close attention as I continue to eat. The urge to go into autopilot is very strong for me. I have work to do.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I don't notice a change in taste either.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 144/141.8/130
WOE: IE/M&E
Thanks Coffee Cat! While reading your post I recognized a lot of the exact concepts I have been employing. Iím sure you posted these thoughts earlier and resonating with me, I have been using them and they have been extremely helpful. So thanks! We obviously have a like way of think about things.
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I literally ask myself half way through if this bite is as good as the first. Sometimes it is and I'll have a few more bites and reevaluate. If itís Meh, I push it aside. Rarely after a few minutes Iíll find myself still hungry and have some more or maybe a little dessert at that point. More often than that, hunger satisfaction sets in and Iím good. But it takes a moment between Meh and satisfaction. If I donít do that, by the time satisfaction kicks in Iíll be too full.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #95
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
I literally ask myself half way through if this bite is as good as the first. Sometimes it is and I'll have a few more bites and reevaluate. If itís Meh, I push it aside. Rarely after a few minutes Iíll find myself still hungry and have some more or maybe a little dessert at that point. More often than that, hunger satisfaction sets in and Iím good. But it takes a moment between Meh and satisfaction. If I donít do that, by the time satisfaction kicks in Iíll be too full.
That's interesting. I don't notice a change in taste, but if I really pay attention to how my stomach feels, I can sort of tell when I'm satisfied. The problem is, there's still some residual feelings of hunger for several more minutes. If I ignore it, I get the complete satisfaction somewhere between 5-20 minutes later. It's really weird. If I keep eating until I'm sure I'm satisfied, 5-20 minutes later I feel overly full.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Remember the old pizza commercials? Eat faster so you can have another slice before your head knows your tummy is full. Iíve thought about that a few times during this journey.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:33 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
I've been trying to pay attention to "how does it taste?" too, and for me it's a lessening of the eagerness for the food. Satiety starts to happen when the tastes start kinda blending together. The first few bites if you're really hungry are fantastic! But after about 6 or 7 bites, you're tasting the same things for awhile, and although still good, it's not that first eye-rolling up in pleasure experience. The other extreme, which I know all too well in the past unfortunately, is eating past the point of fullness and for some dumb reason, I think I have to eat it all, even though at this point it's the opposite of pleasure, it's almost making me sick to eat those last few bites. Those are the two extremes I've experienced. I'm trying to learn where the point is in the middle of this where I don't get the bang for my "bite." Where if someone offered me say a bite of their desert, I'd be good to abandon my meal. If they asked me after one or 2 bites of my meal if I'd like to be finished and share their desert, I'd say no at that point, because I'm still hungry and want more of my meal.

I agree with you Dawn about the satiety/fullness signals being delayed by 5-20 mins. If I eat till full, I'll feel uncomfortable and stuffed later. I'm really trying to find the spots right before fullness and realizing at that point I'm done, I'm satisfied.

I think honestly it's just gonna take practice for most of us. We spent our whole lives, or at least some significant part of it, unlearning, suppressing our natural appetite signals, so it's gonna take practice and trial and error to work it out. There's no hurry, we have the rest of our lives to live after all.

"The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
WOE: Intuitive Eating
Start Date: 4/2014
LifeIsGood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I'm still working on figuring out when to stop. I'm having trouble sensing a difference in taste as I go along, but I'm still hoping I'll develop more of that over time. I find it hard work to keep paying close attention as I continue to eat. The urge to go into autopilot is very strong for me. I have work to do.
For me, it's a temperature thing. When my fries are no longer piping hot, they get kind of soggy and they just aren't as good. But I know some people who prefer room temperature food. My friend can linger on the same meal for 30 minutes. It actually annoys me. Just eat and be done with it, I think to myself.

I think another barrier for me is the wasting food aspect. If it's something large, like half of a restaurant meal, wrap it up. That's fine. But who is going to wrap up one bite of a hamburger or 1 bite of a protein bar? I just feel so wrong about throwing that tiny bit of food away I usually end up finishing it.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattbelly View Post
I think honestly it's just gonna take practice for most of us. We spent our whole lives, or at least some significant part of it, unlearning, suppressing our natural appetite signals, so it's gonna take practice and trial and error to work it out. There's no hurry, we have the rest of our lives to live after all.
And what a wonderful way to go!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #101
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
For me, it's a temperature thing. When my fries are no longer piping hot, they get kind of soggy and they just aren't as good. But I know some people who prefer room temperature food. My friend can linger on the same meal for 30 minutes. It actually annoys me. Just eat and be done with it, I think to myself.

I think another barrier for me is the wasting food aspect. If it's something large, like half of a restaurant meal, wrap it up. That's fine. But who is going to wrap up one bite of a hamburger or 1 bite of a protein bar? I just feel so wrong about throwing that tiny bit of food away I usually end up finishing it.
Yes, to both of these things. I definitely have a temperature thing. Hot foods need to be hot. Cold foods need to be cold. I'm trying to get more flexible about this, and it'll take some work because it's always been my preference. And it bugs me to waste too. I don't have a problem wrapping up 1/2 or 1/3 of something, but a bite or two seems dumb.

Quote:
Totally agree with you. I get a bit frustrated that I'm making such slow progress sometimes, but I am trying real hard to let that feeling go and just allow myself to go through the learning process. It's so great to have you all along with me on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Remember the old pizza commercials? Eat faster so you can have another slice before your head knows your tummy is full. Iíve thought about that a few times during this journey.
Oh, that's just so wrong! I've done it.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 05-31-2014, 03:27 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

You know Carol, one of the biggest regrets of my life is that I've been too impatient for change, for losing weight, figuring it out, "fixing" myself, that I never gave myself permission to live my life to the fullest NOW. I feel like I have more at stake right now than just losing some weight. Don't get me wrong, I'm a human American female, I so very much want to be slender and lose weight, but I've tried more times than I can count and am fatter than ever. So I know the key is not the diet, the key is, for me, to really truly accept myself and live right now, fully present. I really believe when I let that happen, I'll finally be able to let go of this weight I'm carrying, both literally and figuratively. So I remind myself, this isn't a race, there's no finish line, I really do have the rest of my life to LIVE and figure it all out. For me, this gives me peace that I've been lacking. We're all on our own journey, so all I said above may not be the answer for you or someone else, but it's what's helping me right now. I'm always amazed at the insights and epiphanies I'm getting from reading your and everyone else's steps in your journeys.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

This is about day 12 of IE for me. I am trying to stay off the scale and get to the root of my overeating. Of course I want to lose weight, but I'm trying to improve my relationship with food first.

I realized I can't be trusted with chocolate chip cookies. I will eat the whole batch/box/package in nothing flat.

"I can make you thin" suggests journaling, at least for the first week or two. I am just using it as a tool to help identify some patterns and some reasons why or when I might be overeating. I am timing my meals, trying to increase the time. That may sound a little too analytical for this WOE but I won't know how long I'm taking unless I time it. I usually stop eating around the 12 minute mark, but I don't get the full feeling until around 20 or 25 minutes. I guess that's how I got fat in the first place. I always wolfed down my food.

The "food waste" police still lives inside my head. I just can't seem to let go of those last 2 or 3 bites, even when I know I'm full. It's not enough to save, but too much to throw away. So I usually end up eating it. Food prices are so outrageous now, I have a hard time throwing anything out. I give my leftovers to the dog sometimes, but he is FAT as it is.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

That's really interesting about timing your meals jmc305, I've never thought of doing that, but I can see how that could be a really useful tool in learning to slow down so you give your body time to register its satiety. I too have the problem of wolfing my food down too fast, and it's a real effort to slow down and savor my food. It actually feels like a chore sometimes, and I realize I've never really, truly enjoyed my food, because I shoveled it down to fast to taste properly, and all the shame and guilt associated with it made it not pleasurable.

Food waste police are annoying! I keep reminding myself that the food is already "wasted" whether or not I eat it.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:43 AM   #105
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CoffeeCat
Quote:

Food waste police are annoying! I keep reminding myself that the food is already "wasted" whether or not I eat it.
I think most people really struggle with this, and it's totally understandable. I certainly am not saying that you'll not be successful with IE if you can't throw food away, but it helps tremendously in the process to be able to do so. I don't have a big problem with it, but there are times when it nags at me a bit, esp. if it's restaurant food and I've paid a fair amount for it.

The half of the oyster po-boy that I mentioned in a previous post? I ended up throwing it out. I had actually intended to take it to my cousin that I was visiting (who will eat ANYTHING and is thin as a rail) but unfortunately forgot it when I left for his house. I was at a hotel and was leaving the next day so I really had no choice but to throw it away.

Yesterday I met my niece for a quick lunch, and all I had was a cup of tomato basil soup and a house salad. Should have foregone the salad as it had absolutely NO taste and gotten a large bowl of soup instead, because it was delicious. When the waitress asked if I wanted a to-go box, I declined because I knew I wouldn't eat it. So there's another meal literally into the garbage, but I refuse to eat something I won't enjoy.
CoffeeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's really interesting about timing your meals jmc305, I've never thought of doing that, but I can see how that could be a really useful tool in learning to slow down so you give your body time to register its satiety. I too have the problem of wolfing my food down too fast, and it's a real effort to slow down and savor my food. It actually feels like a chore sometimes, and I realize I've never really, truly enjoyed my food, because I shoveled it down to fast to taste properly, and all the shame and guilt associated with it made it not pleasurable.

Maybe I'm just too picky about my food. I want it when it's hot and delicious. Maybe that's why I tend to wolf it down. In my opinion a french fry starts to lose its luster about .00001 seconds after it leaves the fryer. How can they be so delicious when hot, and so NASTY (hard and rubbery) when cold?

I think it was "Overfed Head" that said "hunger is not an emergency." That statement really stuck with me. My food is not going anywhere and I have plenty of time (usually) to enjoy my meal. So what's my hurry? Where's the fire? I made up a rule for myself: do not take another bite until your mouth is empty. Sometimes I take another bite while I'm still chewing the first one. Why? My cheeks are stuffed with food, why put more in it? It sounds so ridiculous as I'm typing it, but that' just how I used to eat.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

I'm the same way about being picky about hot food needs to be piping, and cold needs to be COLD! I totally understand, it's years of bad habits sloooooowly unlearning.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #108
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CoffeeCat
Quote:

I think it was "Overfed Head" that said "hunger is not an emergency." That statement really stuck with me.
Same here. It's become my IE mantra. When you are not practicing restriction of any kind, hunger becomes almost enjoyable, because you know that when you DO finally eat, you can eat whatever you wish AND the food will taste better than it has in the past.
CoffeeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #109
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
You know Carol, one of the biggest regrets of my life is that I've been too impatient for change, for losing weight, figuring it out, "fixing" myself, that I never gave myself permission to live my life to the fullest NOW. I feel like I have more at stake right now than just losing some weight. Don't get me wrong, I'm a human American female, I so very much want to be slender and lose weight, but I've tried more times than I can count and am fatter than ever. So I know the key is not the diet, the key is, for me, to really truly accept myself and live right now, fully present. I really believe when I let that happen, I'll finally be able to let go of this weight I'm carrying, both literally and figuratively. So I remind myself, this isn't a race, there's no finish line, I really do have the rest of my life to LIVE and figure it all out. For me, this gives me peace that I've been lacking. We're all on our own journey, so all I said above may not be the answer for you or someone else, but it's what's helping me right now. I'm always amazed at the insights and epiphanies I'm getting from reading your and everyone else's steps in your journeys.
I really love this. This is life right now, and we need to make the most of each moment. I have to really remind myself of this often. And in the past I've let opportunities pass by because I wasn't comfortable about my weight or appearance.

Quote:
"I can make you thin" suggests journaling, at least for the first week or two. I am just using it as a tool to help identify some patterns and some reasons why or when I might be overeating. I am timing my meals, trying to increase the time. That may sound a little too analytical for this WOE but I won't know how long I'm taking unless I time it. I usually stop eating around the 12 minute mark, but I don't get the full feeling until around 20 or 25 minutes. I guess that's how I got fat in the first place. I always wolfed down my food.

The "food waste" police still lives inside my head. I just can't seem to let go of those last 2 or 3 bites, even when I know I'm full. It's not enough to save, but too much to throw away. So I usually end up eating it. Food prices are so outrageous now, I have a hard time throwing anything out. I give my leftovers to the dog sometimes, but he is FAT as it is.
I think journaling is a great idea and could uncover some big things for me. I haven't done it yet though, aside from what I've been expressing here online.

Quote:
Maybe I'm just too picky about my food. I want it when it's hot and delicious. Maybe that's why I tend to wolf it down. In my opinion a french fry starts to lose its luster about .00001 seconds after it leaves the fryer. How can they be so delicious when hot, and so NASTY (hard and rubbery) when cold?

I think it was "Overfed Head" that said "hunger is not an emergency." That statement really stuck with me. My food is not going anywhere and I have plenty of time (usually) to enjoy my meal. So what's my hurry? Where's the fire? I made up a rule for myself: do not take another bite until your mouth is empty. Sometimes I take another bite while I'm still chewing the first one. Why? My cheeks are stuffed with food, why put more in it? It sounds so ridiculous as I'm typing it, but that' just how I used to eat.
YES, hot food should be HOT. I'm trying to get over that, but.....

Hunger is not an emergency is something I learned well doing JUDDD, and it's holding me in good stead for IE.

Quote:
I'm the same way about being picky about hot food needs to be piping, and cold needs to be COLD! I totally understand, it's years of bad habits sloooooowly unlearning.
YES!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/120.2/120-122
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeCat View Post
Same here. It's become my IE mantra. When you are not practicing restriction of any kind, hunger becomes almost enjoyable, because you know that when you DO finally eat, you can eat whatever you wish AND the food will taste better than it has in the past.
I feel that way. I look forward to being hungry, but I'm not impatient for it like I was in the beginning. Now I can just wait and it's ok.
CarolinaCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I think journaling is a great idea and could uncover some big things for me. I haven't done it yet though, aside from what I've been expressing here online.
I write in my journal every day and have been doing it for over 10 years now. I've collected over 50 journals, and reading back over them is one of my favorite things. I write the most insignificant things, but when I read back it is so valuable for discerning patterns and motivations, especially in this weight control battle.

Sometimes I just write what I've had to eat, or what I wore that day, or what I did, or menus I'm planning, or my moods, anything. But altogether the little details tell the real story. I find journaling fascinating. It's a good way to come to know yourself.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
I feel that way. I look forward to being hungry, but I'm not impatient for it like I was in the beginning. Now I can just wait and it's ok.
Hunger used to be a great source of anxiety for me when I was on a diet. I knew it was inevitable I would get hungry. And then I'd have to face the cardboard tasting low fat or low carb diet food. Some of it is tasty, but most of it is BLECH.

I feel a lot better about myself now that I'm doing IE instead of a traditional diet. I am about to have a grilled hamburger, hot dog, and some fries. I'm going to enjoy it, just not overdo it. And tomorrow, I'll have something else tasty. This WOE is nice because there is no time limit. It will work forever. There's no rush to quit as soon as I lose X number of pounds.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I write in my journal every day and have been doing it for over 10 years now. I've collected over 50 journals, and reading back over them is one of my favorite things. I write the most insignificant things, but when I read back it is so valuable for discerning patterns and motivations, especially in this weight control battle.

Sometimes I just write what I've had to eat, or what I wore that day, or what I did, or menus I'm planning, or my moods, anything. But altogether the little details tell the real story. I find journaling fascinating. It's a good way to come to know yourself.
I couldn't agree more. I think my journal goes back to '09. It's just a habit I got into and it works for me.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart: October 1, 2013
Thanks for this thread!
I am going to look up some of these books at my library. I wanted to try the "skinny jeans" book, but I don't have anything to upload it too ( and I hate paying for books... Just part of being a Librarian).
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

I had a realization today. It seems that every diet I've ever been on, I've been trying to justify overeating, never realizing that the overeating was why I had a weight problem in the first place.

On Weight Watchers or calorie counting, I was ALWAYS on the hunt for a calorie bargain. Why? So I could stuff my face with bigger quantities of food, of course.

On low carb, why was such a restrictive WOE attractive? Because I could have unlimited quantities of steak, chicken, eggs, cheese, and so forth. Once again, I was determined to be able to overeat without "breaking the rules."

I think I get it now. Every day I eat foods that I actually want to eat. I just don't go overboard, I stop when full. I don't obsess over when my next meal is going to be and how much food I am "allowed" to stuff in my face. When the next hunger pang comes, I will satisfy it and it will be something delicious. My body knows this and I don't have to freak out about it. I'm looking at a box of fudge rounds and a bag of Fritos that have been sitting here ignored for over a week. I know I can have them when I really want them. So far I haven't wanted them.

Can I promise myself that I'm going to lose vast amounts of weight in tiny amounts of time? No, but I don't need to. I believe my body will self-correct its metabolism over time and the weight will gradually come off.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:51 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Old 06-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #117
Big Yapper!!!!

I can really relate to this jmc. I am realizing that I thought I hadn't eaten enough unless my stomach was really full. I didn't realize the delights of eating less volume but more satisfaction. What a revelation!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I had a realization today. It seems that every diet I've ever been on, I've been trying to justify overeating, never realizing that the overeating was why I had a weight problem in the first place.

On Weight Watchers or calorie counting, I was ALWAYS on the hunt for a calorie bargain. Why? So I could stuff my face with bigger quantities of food, of course.

On low carb, why was such a restrictive WOE attractive? Because I could have unlimited quantities of steak, chicken, eggs, cheese, and so forth. Once again, I was determined to be able to overeat without "breaking the rules."

I think I get it now. Every day I eat foods that I actually want to eat. I just don't go overboard, I stop when full. I don't obsess over when my next meal is going to be and how much food I am "allowed" to stuff in my face. When the next hunger pang comes, I will satisfy it and it will be something delicious. My body knows this and I don't have to freak out about it. I'm looking at a box of fudge rounds and a bag of Fritos that have been sitting here ignored for over a week. I know I can have them when I really want them. So far I haven't wanted them.

Can I promise myself that I'm going to lose vast amounts of weight in tiny amounts of time? No, but I don't need to. I believe my body will self-correct its metabolism over time and the weight will gradually come off.
Hey, do you mind posting this over in my journal, too? Alot of us read this thread, too, but I think your thoughts would be really appreciated by those who haven't had a chance to read this here.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

This is a great insight. I realized reading it over that I'm exactly the same way, always looking for loop holes or permission to eat larger quantities.

Even with IE my sneaky little brain is trying to find tricks and loopholes and exceptions. It's really hard to just be honest and in the moment and not check out.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey, do you mind posting this over in my journal, too? Alot of us read this thread, too, but I think your thoughts would be really appreciated by those who haven't had a chance to read this here.
Done.