Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Regarding my above post about not knowing when to stop eating.......what do you think about this method, just until I get more comfortable with this plan.

What I'm trying to do is take a serving of whatever it is I want that is approx the same size as my clenched fist since they say that your stomach, when empty, is about that size. I just feel like I need a bit of a guideline to get started. I'll let you know how it's working for me!

Pop in and let us know how you're doing!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CoffeeCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_:) View Post
Regarding my above post about not knowing when to stop eating.......what do you think about this method, just until I get more comfortable with this plan.

What I'm trying to do is take a serving of whatever it is I want that is approx the same size as my clenched fist since they say that your stomach, when empty, is about that size. I just feel like I need a bit of a guideline to get started. I'll let you know how it's working for me!

Pop in and let us know how you're doing!
I think that may be a good starting point, Lori. Discovering your satiety level is, for me, the hardest part of practicing IE. I have the hunger down pat, though!

One thing I've learned through studying the IE concepts is that naturally thin people generally do not like the feeling of even being slightly over-full, if you know what I mean. I think they have a better internal clock when it comes to determining satiety. I did also when I was thin and was practicing IE without even realizing it. That's why you see them often leave food on their plate.

One other IE book suggests leaving 3 bites of every item on your plate. I'm not sure why, but I think it may be because it just starts instilling the habit of really thinking about whether or not you're really hungry enough to eat that. I don't always do that, but I do often leave some food on my plate. And one thing I just don't do any more is go back for seconds. I was always bad to eat too fast and I have really slowed down my eating. I used to think I needed to be almost uncomfortably full before I stopped eating. I have definitely cut that back and am now just "satisfied" when I finish. But it took me awhile to get there.

This, I think, is where the idea of really savoring each bite comes into play. A lot of times you can tell you're at the "no longer hungry" stage when the food starts not tasting as good as the previous bites. Just slowing down and really paying attention to what you're eating should help you a lot.
CoffeeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
WOE: Intuitive Eating
Start Date: 4/2014
Lori I think that whatever method you come up with that helps you recognize or listen to your body will work as long as you pay attention. And if that means measuring or weighing until we get more in tune with our bodies then that is ok

Over the weekend I mostly ate when hungry but a few times I just didn't bother listening to the satisfied signals because I wasn't always in the zone. I never felt stuffed which is a good start BUT my eating and weight pattern have been so predictable during the past year that I would really like to break this cycle once and for all! I typically gain 5 lbs every weekend and then that same 5 lbs falls back off during the week, only to regain it the next weekend, and so on....It's getting old and it's driving me nuts. I want to reign in that weekend gain so that my weight chart doesn't look like a rollercoaster! It made me realize that I have a long way to go until I really get the hang of this though since my first weeks results were exactly the same as any other week. I also know that I'll need to put away the scale again and trust IE at some point but for now I feel the need to monitor things a little more closely.

CoffeeCat, I found myself speed-eating at times during the weekend. Even though I had just finished reading a few books last week about IE, I seem to have already forgotten to SLOW DOWN . Thanks for the reminder

KJ, thank you for replying about the CD. I'm going to get it ready now so that I don't forget to listen to it tonight when I go to bed.

Last edited by LifeIsGood2013; 04-14-2014 at 10:48 AM..
LifeIsGood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Another thing that I have read, and I often find myself doing, is that you will involuntarily sigh when you are satiated. If you are pausing in your eating, try to detect yourself sighing......just another signal of fullness!

Interesting...huh?

Enough of my babbling. Have a wonderful IE day!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:00 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Where are my IE people? Has everyone taken a break over the Easter holiday? Hope you're all doing well.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:51 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
I'm here! We've been enjoying some good weather and doing yard work and walking dogs...my hubby and I signed up for a 5K walk/run which is this weekend so it kind of snuck up on us.

We went out for Easter lunch with his family and I ate half and brought half home and I wasn't hungry. My MIL brought cupcakes and I did have one of those but I didn't feel bad at all.

kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Sorry - I've been very busy the last few days and haven't had a chance to post.

Easter was wonderful; my family and I had a nice brunch at a local restaurant. I generally don't like to eat at buffets because no matter how hard I try to only eat until satisfied I always have this nagging thought about getting my money's worth. IE proponents generally tell you to stay away from buffets for just that reason.

But I didn't overeat; I only had one plate of food plus dessert. I was more than satisfied but not uncomfortably stuffed. Generally I eat so much at those types of things that I am miserable for the rest of the day, but this time I actually did get a little hungry in the evening. Of course we did eat at 11:30 am, so it's not surprising that I did have some hunger later on that day. Only ate a bit of a snack in the evening though.

Hope all of you are doing well!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeCat View Post
I just wanted to share a few of my personal thoughts and experiences with Intuitive Eating.

Like many others, when I first started IE I wanted to turn it into another diet. It's so important not to fall into that trap. We're so used to having rules and restrictions on a diet that we sometimes feel lost without them.

If you MUST follow a rule, let it be this one:

Eat ONLY when hungry, and stop when no longer hungry.

Another thought, after doing this for some time now:

I believe most people can practice IE, but not everyone is ready to do so.

To be successful, I think one has to really be at the end of their rope with dieting. They also want to get to a point where they never think about food until it's time to eat. They want food to take a secondary place in their lives where before it was foremost in their minds, and not in a positive way.

They want to be able to walk into a restaurant without consulting the menu online first to see if they will be able to stay "on plan." They want to be able to order what they really WANT to eat as opposed to what they "should" eat.

They want to eat without guilt, without self-recrimination, without remorse.

They want peace
THIS! This is me and I so could have written this word for word.

I just completed The Overfed Head this weekend and to say that I am blown away would be an understatement. I have been struggling to stick to my program for a couple months now and I truly believe that I had finally reached the end of my rope and was left just swinging there wondering what to do.

I was horrified to realize this past week of how often I was eating despite not even being hungry, but doing it anyways because "those are the rules" of my plan... eat eat eat... 5x a day, a specific amount each day, and within 30 min. of waking.. Lemme tell ya, after awhile it got to the point where I dreaded having to wake up in the mornings!

Yesterday I did my first practice run at IE.. what epiphany's came roaring out was amazing. I don't think I've ever journaled like a mad woman like I did.. The experience was freeing and so positive. I went to bed last night with a huge sense of accomplishment and in reality all I'd done was honor my hunger appropriately! Mentally this is huge and what a relief not to beat myself up for not being PERFECT.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone else has going on!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell

Last edited by DesertGurl; 04-28-2014 at 10:00 AM..
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Hi Dani!

So glad to see you posting here! When I read your journal post, I was hoping you'd find your way here. I look forward to reading about your journey with IE.

I do fine with waiting till I'm hungry......it's the stopping when I've had enough that is the problem! IE has a definite learning curve, but I think it will be SO worth it! As you said....it is so freeing!

Take care and be kind to yourself!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Lori I'd seen this thread before while I posted on CP's thread here so I knew it was here.. glad you posted.

Right now I find that I am spending a lot of time assessing and reassessing whether I am hungry or not.. it's a darn good thing that I don't have to go to work because I probably wouldn't get much done I am having to think a lot right now and I suppose that will dissipate over time? I also have to sit and try to figure out if I'm comfortably full or what? I dunno if I even know what that is naturally?

Reading back my journal post from today... blows me away to truly realize I have spent 14 years of my life yo-yo'ing with various diets and to have dieted my way to my highest weight this past September. That makes me really sad, not to mention all the self-recrimination I have done to myself. Something definitely needs to change!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Welcome, Danielle! Enjoyed reading your posts.

It sounds as if you are indeed ready for IE. I never actively encourage anyone to try intuitive eating, but if they are interested in the subject, I try to provide useful information. That's why you won't see me posting in other threads. I just hope that people who are curious will drop in here, either to lurk OR to post. Glad you found your way here!

I'm so glad you found The Overfed Head useful. It's still my favorite resource. I have even downloaded it to iBooks on my phone.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks! I'm so happy to be here. It's been a long time coming, I think.

Hopefully other's will feel motivated to join in some conversation, it's always nice to share this with others going through the same things.. it does feel weird to talk about not dieting, and it's such a deep personal choice, at the same time, sharing insight and views from a mix of people is always enlightening.

In the journal section there is a thread started by Carolina Coast of her journey into hunger directed eating and there are many other's posting their experiences, feelings, and view points there as well. SO helpful & liberating!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
Don't waste your time reading Geneen Roth. Most of her writing is vacious drivel, focused only on her own experiences which I found completely irrelevant. I actually returned a Geneen Roth book to Amazon - the only time I've ever done that - because it was so worthless. -quote from CoffeeCat.

Hi CoffeeCat, thanks for starting this thread. I've read a lot of Geneen Roth's books and I was glad to see you say that you felt it was vacuous. I always thought she was on the right track as far as the IE stuff, but then I was always left wondering after reading her books "But what am I supposed to do?" I never put it into words, but it is a lot of talk without much substance.

I like what you said also about being at the end of your rope with dieting. I feel that way, and dealing with a few years of crap and last weekend losing my pet who was my comfort and friend of 12 years has made me take a hard look at all this. I've already typed about this ad nauseam in my journal and won't do so here, but I'm left with the world-weariness of having "dieted" more times than I could possibly count in my life and wondering why I keep jumping on this train of desperation that doesn't lead me where I wanna go. I watched the video link you posted and it makes total sense to me. I've already put in my request at the library for the books you mentioned, and I will definitely read them. I'm so grateful to have found this, because I was actually thinking about going back to G.R.'s books because it was the only thing I knew about that had SOME info about losing weight without going back to dieting. But after reading what you said, it dawned on me that I'd always felt that way, and didn't really realize it.

"The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Hello Everyone!!

I have lots of reading to do! I have read Intuitive Eating and have never grasped the context but I have reached a point where I'm more than willing to give it a GOOD try. The only thing I'm sure of is diets don't, have not, ever worked for me.

Hi Dani! Yes, I'm following you here!

Thanks CoffeeCat for starting the thread!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Hello Everyone!!

I have lots of reading to do! I have read Intuitive Eating and have never grasped the context but I have reached a point where I'm more than willing to give it a GOOD try. The only thing I'm sure of is diets don't, have not, ever worked for me.

Hi Dani! Yes, I'm following you here!

Thanks CoffeeCat for starting the thread!
Glad you're here!

It will interesting to see what sort of conversations we can keep going here. I'm feeling like I can't express much of this with others in some of the other threads I'm in... well, except my own journal cause it's mine and I can do what I want.

Woke up with a feeling of calm and peace today. Despite being woken up in the middle of the night with the wind outside and not getting back to sleep for several hours afterwards, I did wake up feeling rested and did it easily.

I am shocked to see how little I need to eat to feel satisfied. It's almost alittle embarrassing. To think about the regular portions of things I've eaten in the past and then revisit them the last feel days while practicing IE and realize I didn't even need half of it... The peace I find with this, I think, is that I know I can have more later if I find I get hungry again. There is no waiting for 3 hours before I can eat again despite hunger, and there is no beating myself up for feeling hungry either. What a release!
Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

YAY! I'm so glad to see more people popping in here! I love reading your posts Dani.......you always make me think!

I still need to do a lot of work on the "stopping when I've had enough" thing. Waiting to eat until hungry is no problem. I have found that if I just slow myself down, I will feel the fullness signal much clearer. I have a tendency to eat way too fast and eat past the point of satiety.

I'm hoping we can bounce ideas off one another and be a good source of info and inspiration!

Later!
Old 04-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Lori, for many years I struggled with eating too fast. I attribute it to when I was managing in retail and never got a formal break and had to shovel in food quickly in the backroom when ever I could.. you learn to eat super quick in that industry if you ever want food My DH is the same way, same experience, and now that he is in sales it's much the same thing..quickly in between clients..

I am sure I am missing some of my "stop" signals but not to the point of stuffing myself.. I do notice that I slow down a lot towards the end.. like last night I realized the lull in when I picked up my fork again and I sat for a second and realized I had had enough so I stopped. My usual M-O would be to power through all the food that's on my plate and tune out. Then pay the price afterwards with bloat and a tummy ache. I despise that feeling, I really do. Yet, I continued to do it ALOT. Although, while cycling I never had enough food on my plate to get that full, but watch out on reward days

I have to tell you guys, I THOROUGHLY enjoyed my trip to the grocery store yesterday. It ended up a total mixed bag of choices...pretty dang balanced in terms of fruit, veggies, and proteins.. I had figured I'd end up with a cartful of Oreos and rocky road ice cream. And yanno what, that woulda been perfectly OK. WIN! But seriously, my biggest joy of the afternoon was buying the thin mint creamer for my coffee that I have been coveting for forever... SO good and I totally loved my coffee today. *sigh* total bliss.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
You ladies may want to visit CarolinaCoast's journal "Taming the Hungry Beast" over in the journal forum. There is a whole wonderful thread going on talking about intuitive eating--very active and very busy, and I am sure they would love hearing from people who have worked with IE for awhile.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jayce
Stats: 255/220.5/212.5 MG# 1
WOE: Food logging, moderate carbs, exercise
Some good information here...thanks for sharing. I definitely can relate to CoffeeCat's statement: I used to think I needed to be almost uncomfortably full before I stopped eating. I struggle with this. I've told my boyfriend I think some of it came from my upbringing or times I've had to "penny-pinch" -- I didn't believe in throwing away food or not finishing what was on my plate. Just last night, my bf & I got into a small semi-argument regarding the plethora of leftovers in our fridge...for some reason, it just seems "wrong" for me to throw it away. Lol.

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done. --Bruce Lee

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. --Bill Cosby
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #50
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Subscribing so I can come back and read later.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:42 AM   #51
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Me too!
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:43 AM   #52
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Oops forgot to subscribe.
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:30 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
does anyone know about or remember 'weigh down workshop'? it's how i lost 30-40 lbs about 12-13 yrs ago. basically the exact same thing, portion control...eating only when hungry and stopping when satisfied. it was liberating to not be restricted to WHAT you ate only how much. like some of you, i have no problem knowing when i am hungry, it's the stopping that i have always struggled with. my biggest issue is that food just TASTES to dang good.

even now, stopping eating bc one donut is enough is hard bc i know that another would taste so good. this is where i struggle a lot. and it's overcoming the desire to want to eat more simply bc something taste good that gets me in trouble.

another thing with IE that i struggle with…say i fix supper and at the time i am preparing the meal, my stomach is not growling and i have no other signs of hunger. do i sit down and eat with the family or wait? generally i would then get hungry after everyone else has eaten and everything is cleaned up and then i'm left to eat at totally different times than the family. i don't like that. and i think it send a mixed signal to my kids. or what if you are scheduled to go out to eat with friends and at the time you have no hunger signals, do you eat anyway?

so basically, i do love the idea of IE but the two areas that frustrated me are:

stopping eating, my stomach may have quit growling, but i know more will TASTE GOOD
when do you eat when in a group setting if you aren't physically hungry yet
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/126/120
WOE: JUDDD
Subbing.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #55
Junior LCF Member

WOW!

So glad to see so many new people here! Thanks to all who have joined in here as well as those who have chosen to subscribe.

Unfortunately I had just enough time to pop in here to say thank you. I'd love to greet each of you individually; perhaps I'll have more time later today to do that. But know that all of you are welcome!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
Hi dazygyrl I have those questions as well. I hope someone experienced can help us understand how to make this work in these kind of real life settings, because I think part of IE is to not be weird about food. If you are out to eat, it would be weird and draw attention to you not eating because your "lifestyle" diet says you can't eat. Naturally thin people don't do that, they eat when it's time to order. And if your family has a normal meal time, again, it would be weird to just sit there and not eat. I think that would screw your kids up. I'm sure the natural wisdom of IE would be to still only eat to satisfaction at meals like this, and if that means just a few bites, so be it. If you do that, then later in the evening you could revisit your leftovers or have a small snack-like normal weight people do. That's just what I think anyway, I don't have any good experience with this yet. I've only just ordered some books and haven't read them yet, so the above are just opinions with no real info to back them.
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/138.7/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
does anyone know about or remember 'weigh down workshop'? it's how i lost 30-40 lbs about 12-13 yrs ago. basically the exact same thing, portion control...eating only when hungry and stopping when satisfied. it was liberating to not be restricted to WHAT you ate only how much. like some of you, i have no problem knowing when i am hungry, it's the stopping that i have always struggled with. my biggest issue is that food just TASTES to dang good.

even now, stopping eating bc one donut is enough is hard bc i know that another would taste so good. this is where i struggle a lot. and it's overcoming the desire to want to eat more simply bc something taste good that gets me in trouble.

another thing with IE that i struggle withÖsay i fix supper and at the time i am preparing the meal, my stomach is not growling and i have no other signs of hunger. do i sit down and eat with the family or wait? generally i would then get hungry after everyone else has eaten and everything is cleaned up and then i'm left to eat at totally different times than the family. i don't like that. and i think it send a mixed signal to my kids. or what if you are scheduled to go out to eat with friends and at the time you have no hunger signals, do you eat anyway?

so basically, i do love the idea of IE but the two areas that frustrated me are:

stopping eating, my stomach may have quit growling, but i know more will TASTE GOOD
when do you eat when in a group setting if you aren't physically hungry yet
Hey Buddy
I've been thinking about you as I've been following this thread. As always, we have the same concerns.

I've been trying this just recently like Kattbelly mentioned. Family and lifestyle are more important to me than anything. And if the whole premise is to stop allowing food to rule your life, not eating with the family or during occasions with friends and family would be totally allowing food to control me. My first baby step is not cleaning my plate. I havenít tried some of my trigger foods yet, basically wheat based carbs. Iím hoping to get the habit down a bit before I venture there.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey, buddy…how are you??

i need to do this. in looking back over the years (12-13 yrs ago) since i did 'weigh down workshop' which is basically the same thing but with a spiritual aspect as well, it's when i was most successful with weight loss. there was no specific woe other than eating when hungry, stopping when satisfied.

i'm sitting here after having just eaten more than i should have. i really need to get ahold of this. i had my mojo back as far a cutting the junk, then easter happened and it's been a slow decline since. and i hate it.

one thing for those that don't like the idea of throwing food away. one of the main premises of WDW, was use a smaller plate…salad plate or even a dessert plate. it forces small portions and cleaning your plate does not mean you overate bc you took less to begin with.

Last edited by dazygyrl; 05-01-2014 at 07:32 AM..
Old 05-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/138.7/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Iím good, been fat fasting pretty successfully to ditch the holiday weight. Iím just so tired of journaling, weighing, counting and dieting in general this really caught my eye. And I remembered that you had done something like this with your church some time ago and spoke highly of it. Thatís what made me think of you, aside from the normal reasons. I hadn't really planned on starting this right away and havenít finished reading the two books I downloaded, Overfed Head and How to Have your Cake and Skinny Jeans Too. Itís just making so much sense and giving me hope that I just starting incorporating what Iím learning as I go. You want to play?

How are you and the family? Howís bis?
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yes, ma'am! totally want to do this. i really do feel done with cutting out whole food groups and WANT to learn (again ) that, with moderation, nothing is off limits. (the only thing, i may still try do do some LC to support hubby as he really tries to stay LC due to familial tendencies to type 2 diabetes.) it just leads to binging for me and it really needs to stop.

family is good. kids get out of school the 27th. ella has her last gymnastics meet this saturday, the state meet. first baseball game is the 27th, whoop!! not sure if ky will pitch or not. have taken him to ortho doc bc his elbow gets so sore after pitching. after an MRI it's discovered he has medial epycondilitis (pitcher's elbow). treatment: don't pitch. he's continued to go to pitching practice, but he doesn't like to talk about it much, so i guess i'll find out if he's pitching or not once the season gets underway.