Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   Intermittent Fasting 2014 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/820679-intermittent-fasting-2014-a.html)

slimlizzie 01-11-2014 06:20 AM

Intermittent Fasting 2014

I am new to IF I have copied the 2013 plan to start a new thread.
I hope I did it correctly. Feed back please.

I plan on a 8 hour window noon-8pm :newbie: I hope I am not alone.

What is Intermittent Fasting (IF)?

IF is merely alternating intervals of not eating (fasting) with times where you are allowed to eat (eating window).

The fasting period on specific plans can range from 16 hours all the way up to 36 hours (with several stops in between), and each of those specific plans will have benefits.

The most important thing to remember about Intermittent Fasting is that it isn’t a “diet” or a mean's of starving one's self—it’s a way of eating, a nutritional lifestyle.

Types of IF programs

Here are some of the IF programs that I am familiar with and have read up on. Please feel free to include any additional ones!

*Eat Stop Eat
*Fast 5
*Johnson's Up Day Down Day (JUDDD)/ Alternate Day Diet
*The Warrior Diet

Want More Info?
Try searching these sites/blogs for loads of info, personal experiences, research, etc.

pugluv9802 01-11-2014 07:57 AM

I am interested in the IF plan. Am I understanding this correctly, you just pick a window of time, such as 1p-7p, and not eat until then and nothing more after the 7p window? I really think I could this, I'm doing the Atkins plan now, but want more variety, and really don't want to count calories that much. Thanks for any information.:)

Makeitwork 01-11-2014 09:44 AM

Pugluv you got it! Some people will still have coffee outside of their "window" with cream, or butter or coconut oil and not count that against their fast. However I don't do that. I do not ingest anything that will trigger insulin release as I have found I am even sensitive to decaf coffee! But, everyone is different so you have to see what works for you and your particular metabolism.

I follow CAD (Carbohydrate Addict's Diet) first as my main WOE. My story is that over time, when I first learned about IF I skipped my breakfast low carb meal and would just have one low carb meal and one meal that contained carbs. Once I skipped that extra meal I got LESS hungry. It was very powerfull. I quickly realized that I wasn't making up the difference in calories and did not want my weight loss to be due to extreme calorie deprivation so I started upping the calories at the meals I did eat. I still lost weight and I have had many days of 3000-4000 calories! It is not sustainable but I proved that high calorie weight loss was possible. I mainly do 1800-2600 calories most days. There are most days during the week that I only eat my one large carb meal in an hour (a part of the CAD rules for wt loss to minimize insulin release due to prolonged meals and grazing) because I am just plain not hungry.

After a few days of doing it your body will adjust and you will feel full for hours and hours. I don't think it has as much to do with the calories as just once insulin and all the other hormones are controlled better, one feels natural hunger and natural satiation and it is a very nice way to diet!!!

MIW

pugluv9802 01-11-2014 12:02 PM

Thanks so much for the info,MIW. I will have to check out the CAD thread. So much to the low carb world instead of Atkins. I really do like Akins, but want to try new things.

Makeitwork 01-11-2014 06:14 PM

I did Atkin's but I knew it wasn't something I could do forever. CAD is. I can have carbs everyday. It just taught me how to eat them in ways that minimizes insulin. Also, there was a guy who posted on our 2013 CAD hangout who was at a conference that Dr. Atkins spoke at who said CAD was a good program and he recommended it to people who either couldn't do Atkins or who were in maintenance. The Heller's studied their diet well with the original having 1000 participants followed for 2 years with 80% success. Go to amazon and read the reviews for CAD and CALP. There are 300 for each book and VERY inspirational!

MIW

slimlizzie 01-12-2014 06:15 AM

Day 2

Stayed on track yesterday
I am hungry this morning.. :up:

noon-8pm window

slimlizzie 01-13-2014 07:04 AM

Day 3
Not good...
too many carbs and I think I need to shorten my window.

Makeitwork 01-13-2014 11:09 AM

I did an 8 hour window last 2 days. Had big breakfast RM's then a low carb meal later (I mainly follow CAD along with IF). Wt was 214, 212.4 , 212,2 lbs for the last 3 days :)

MIW

slimlizzie 01-13-2014 03:14 PM

I am looking into CAD..
I think it might be something that will work for me

Makeitwork 01-13-2014 05:55 PM

Today I just did one meal only over an hour (Reward Meal or RM for Carbohydrate Addict's Diet). I don't like the term reward meal so I call it my carb meal. Many days each week I eat only once a day in a hour's timeframe then DONE for the other 23!

MIW

slimlizzie 01-14-2014 07:37 AM

wow...that seems very hard to me.... did you have to work up to 23 hr fasting?

Makeitwork 01-14-2014 10:02 AM

Slimlizzie: No, not at all. In fact it was way easier and just came natural. First off, I was eating over about a 14 hour period since I work 12 hours shifts. I was usually eating 3 meals a day (2 extreme low carb and one "regular carb" meal). So at first I went to 8 hour window, and I just wasn't hungry AT ALL to try to fit 3 meals in that frame. I cut out breakfast, and went to one low carb lunch and one regular meal for dinner. Then I just got less and less hungry and was only really "craving" my regular dinner meal. However I was freaked out that I was actually losing by cutting out the calories from the other 2 meals so I started eating MORE at my one hour meal. To some it might seem like a binge-fest but I have never been a binge eater and I understood exactly what I was doing.

I am an RN, I have some medical and nutritional education due to this. I have studied hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance extensively, have read many diet books aimed specifically at insulin resistance. Also, I have dabbled a bit in reseach of high calorie weight loss. CAD has always been my starting point and I NEVER veer from it. I will follow CAD first and foremost above any other WOE since it is so simple and flexible and forgiving! It really does work and I have to say I was losing weight no matter how I ate: 3 meals a day or one meal a day.

I also know 2 people very well online over the last year who have done one meal a day only and one lost 90 pounds in 2 years and to this day still only eats one meal around midday. I was doing it too and called it The Large Lunch Diet as a spoof of the Big Breakfast Diet that my other online diet buddy was swearing by. Slowly I started eating earlier and earlier and soon was doing my one meal a day very early. However, the trick to that is you have to eat a large amount of protein and preferably fatty protein so like 7 ounces of meat or eggs, etc. I actually now like eating my meal earlier and only do late meals now for my Hubby or eating out after work with friends. Plus, I like CAD because if I need to eat again and am truely hungry I can and just keep it low carb!

I do not force myself to eat nor do I force myself to skip meals or calories.

I do "aim" for the fast 5 eating hour window but honestly I am hungry for hours and hours so eating closer to 8 or 10 hours works for me if I do get hungry again.

MIW

DABG 01-15-2014 08:41 AM

HI, I have been a "Lurquer" here at LCF for months and months, reading the wisdom everyone has to offer and is so generous about sharing. In the past year, I have slowly gone from 184 to 164 using much of the advice and nutritional information I have gotten here.

I was recently dx'ed with T2D and hypothyroid, and have found IF combined with LC has been a godsend (as well as Armour and Metformin) so now both medical conditions are well under control and I feel super.

I use a 6 hour window--ususally start the day with a mug of coffee ("blonde" from plenty of HWC) and then eat lunch about 1 or 1:30, and dinner about 5:30 to 6, keeping them pretty low carb except that I have recently begun to eat POTATOES as a source of Resistant Starch. Thanks to that, my fasting blood sugar is now running as low as 81 (new low for me) RS sounded nuts to me at first, but gathering up my courage, i tried it and am astonished at the results. I am 4 and a half pounds lighter than I was 2 weeks ago, so to my amazement the potatoes are now screwing up my progress.

It is good to see that others are finding success with IF!

DABG 01-15-2014 09:08 AM

in the post above--TYPO WARNING--should NOT read "potatoes are 'now' screwing up my blood sugar"--ought to say, "potatoes are NOT screwing up my blood sugar."

And it seems like I ought to add the following information to my original post:

I use a 6 hour window for my IF plan--usually start the day with a mug of coffee ("blonde" from plenty of HWC) and then eat lunch about 1 or 1:30, and dinner about 5:30 to 6, keeping them pretty low carb except that I have recently begun to eat POTATOES as a source of Resistant Starch. Thanks to that, my fasting blood sugar is now running as low as 81 (new low for me) RS sounded nuts to me at first, but gathering up my courage, i tried it and am astonished at the results. I am 4 and a half pounds lighter than I was 2 weeks ago, so to my amazement the potatoes are not screwing up my progress.

It is good to see that others are finding success with IF!

I discovered the Fast 5 plan a couple of years ago, and most of my recent "eating schedule" has been based on that idea. It makes sense to me and I have found that I really don't need breakfast if I have some coffee (or tea) with HWC in it--I think the fat in the cream keeps me from coffee jitters or feeling hungry until I decide to eat at mid-day. Lunch has now become a small bowl of high RS (cooked and cooled) potatoes--kind of a cold potato "pudding" with full-fat Greek yogurt mixed in.

A year ago, if you had told me I'd be eating potatoes and improving my blood sugar and losing weight, I'd have called for the guys in the white jackets to come and put you away. In fact, when I first heard of RS two or three years ago, I thought it was the stupidest, most dangerous idea anyone could propose to someone with T2D and a weight problem, but reading *** and FTA changed my mind about that and I am so grateful to those who researched the subject long and carefully and shared their results with readers.

I have loved eating low carb, but have found that these two tweaks help me stick to my desire to lose weight and keep my BG under control. If I ever find that the Resistant Starch in my cold pre-cooked potatoes is actually raising my blood sugar, I will stop it. But amazing as it may seem if you aren't familiar with the RS theory, in the past few days, I have poked my fingers many times and have found my blood sugar readings always lower than they have been since I began to measure them faithfully. :)

I know a lot of diabetics cannot use IF because it screws up their BG numbers but I have been lucky in having my diabetes discovered when my beta cells are still pretty healthy, so have had no problems so far in using IF as a way of improving my weight, energy, and general health.

martha 01-15-2014 12:19 PM

Wandered in today -- I am using a noon to 9 pm window with a general low-carb approach for maintenance. Wanted to post today because I did my first fairly ambitious workout (with weights and some jogging) "in a fasted state", which had been recommended to me. Wasn't hard, but wonder if that is because yesterday I ate quite a bit more than average for me.

Enjoyed reading posts so far!

oriana 01-16-2014 05:15 AM

I'm back MIW .........fasting and eating one meal that is. Do you all think fasting allows you to eat more calories while losing? I have been on a fruit based diet and very hungry.

DABG 01-16-2014 06:35 AM

Oriana, when I eat much fruit (and I LOVE it) it makes me very hungry--most info on that says it is because fruit raises our blood sugar and that is what gets the hunger pangs going; and this can happen even to the lucky people with normal blood sugar and no pancreas imbalance.

My own situation is that I could never be on one meal a day made up of fruit--I'd feel like I was starving all the time, and weak and shakey as well.

Common belief in the LC world is that proteins and fats are not as likely to cause hunger pangs as eating just (or mostly) carbs like fruit.

So if you are doing one meal a day and it is only (or mostly fruit) that may be why you are so hungry. In fact, if you are not getting fats and proteins with your fruit, you might actually be on a vegetarian diet and it is hard to be Low Carbohydrate on that kind of food plan.

Makeitwork 01-16-2014 08:02 AM

Hi DABG! Glad you are here! I am intrigued by the RS thing you discussed with potatoes. Do they have to be cold or can you eat them hot and fresh out of the oven? I've wondered about that.

MIW

Makeitwork 01-16-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martha (Post 16758341)
Wandered in today -- I am using a noon to 9 pm window with a general low-carb approach for maintenance. Wanted to post today because I did my first fairly ambitious workout (with weights and some jogging) "in a fasted state", which had been recommended to me. Wasn't hard, but wonder if that is because yesterday I ate quite a bit more than average for me.

Enjoyed reading posts so far!

Martha hello and welcome! I see you are in maintenance. THat is awesome! How did you lose the weight and make it to your current weight and how long did it take?

MIW

DABG 01-16-2014 10:27 AM

Oh, WOW, Martha, you have achieved something many of us are dreaming of. :jumpjoy: Goal reached. CONGRATULATIONS!

Your accomplishment deserves its own post here so no one misses it. Thanks, Makeitwork, for that reminder.

DABG 01-16-2014 11:01 AM

Hi, MIW, well, the "potato thing" is actually more a "resistant starch" thing. It is a bit complicated and I probably don't have the technical and scientific knowledge to do the subject--or you--justice. But here goes:

To begin with, I will gladly share with you what I have been doing (and I am following advice from those well-informed in the subject.) What I do is cook the potatoes and chill them and eat them cold. After cooking, they have to be treated that way (chilled) in order to "regenerate" the resistant starch which is damaged by heating/cooking. (Raw ones naturally contain resistant starch but the thought of eating a raw potato--and there are peeps who do--makes me gag.) You have to be dedicated and determined to eat cold, pre-cooked potatoes, but think something like: potato salad and vichyssoise. (I mix Greek yogurt and herb seasoning into mine and have kind of a "cold potato pudding.")

There are a number of other foods which contain resistant starch (including potato STARCH--not potato flour--) And the whole subject is kind complicated but if you are further interested, there are now reams of information available if you Google "resistant starch." As well, there are many posts about this subject at the bulletin boards "Marks' Daily Apple" (a marvelous site!) and "Feed The Animal". Both of them provide an exhaustive list of references and study results, and member comments which explain how and why such an odd (at first glance) approach works and how peeps are putting the idea to use (in other words, a huge amount of practical, useful information is available at those two sites--and there is mention of it here at LCF as well--maybe in the thread about LCF members who are trying The Potato Hack.)

I have just gotten a bag of Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch and am about to incorporate that into my eating to see what happens. There can be side effects to adding any form of RS too quickly (massive Gas Attacks and other "TMI" stuff :o about bowels and their reactions--or should I say "over-reactions?:eek: )--so I am going to be very cautious about how I use the stuff and how much I use, but will see how things go and will comment on this thread with updates from time to time so that IF followers will have an idea of how RS works in the real life of someone who generally tries to stick to a 6-hour window. (I have found it VERY SATIATING--surprising for something so high in carbs, but then it is the very different "form" of the carbs which is the important thing here.)

I hope this has been helpful as a starting point for you or anyone else interested in learning about RS--I am sure it is not for everyone, especially SOME using a strict LC plan and uncomfortable with the very idea of actually eating carbs . And, yes, from what I have seen RS can be tricky to use, but for me at least, it is worth a try. If this little experiment raises my BG or my weight, I can easily stop instantly and go back to a more strict form of LC again.

Makeitwork 01-16-2014 11:08 AM

It actually makes sense and thanks for sharing. I read a quickie article about 10 foods that keep you feeling fuller longer and potatoes were on it. And eggs, apples, which I eat alot of so it makes sense and I wonder if it is the resistant starch. Like a long acting fiber or something?

MIW

DABG 01-16-2014 11:18 AM

A further, but quick and brief look at how Resistant Starch works.

First of all, we know that digestion takes place in the small intestine and so that is the place where carbs are usually digested and where their resulting "sugars" then begin the trip which send them into our blood stream and give us the craves sometimes.

But when starches are "modified" they can become RESISTANT TO DIGESTION. And when this happens they move (undigested) to the large intestine and have an entirely different effect on our bodies. The large intestine is kind of "the end of the line" for us but even so, it is where Resistant Starches perform a very important task: they feed, and contribute greatly, to the health of the various microflora so important to a healthy immune system. And help with the important work of elimination.

And in the large intestine, Resistant Starch (remember, it is undigested) does not cause a rise in BG so it does not make us hungry as starch (carbohydrate ) does when it is being digested in the small intestine and being used for fuel. One interesting thing it can do in some cases at least, is to lower blood sugar readings and continue to effect them for several hours...a chief reason it can contribute to weight loss in some of us.

RS content of foods (exactly which foods and specifically how to use them) is not an easy thing to describe in a few words, and I won't do a very good job of it--so I urge anyone who is interested to go read the forums I mention above. Believe me, there are many minutes (if not hours) of fascinating firsthand information available from very intelligent and thoughtful people who have lost weight and gotten impressively lower BG readings from ingesting RS.

RS may not be for everyone, but I hope others will find it worth at least investigating if it piques their interest.

P.S. No Pigging Out: RS does not change the need to eat very carefully and it will NOT do anything good for someone who otherwise overeats. For me, it cuts way down on my appetite and of course, it then helps the BG and my weight. No craves! Feel like I just about enough room for some protein and salads and green veggies. This is all a matter of balance, just like any sensible eating plan is.

DABG 01-16-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makeitwork (Post 16759751)
It actually makes sense and thanks for sharing. I read a quickie article about 10 foods that keep you feeling fuller longer and potatoes were on it. And eggs, apples, which I eat alot of so it makes sense and I wonder if it is the resistant starch. Like a long acting fiber or something?

MIW

MIW--:clap: You've got the idea behind the Resistant Starch and how it functions! (Although I don't think apples contain any RS. ) I see that you use carb cycling so RS would fit pretty well into what you already do--that is if you can stand cold taters. They aren't as yummy as hot ones but there are those who say you can warm them a bit and not burst the protective shell that keeps the starch cells from opening and pouring into your small intestine to be digested instead of being sent "unopened" into the large intestine where they exit the body after feeding the microflora.

Hmmm, just had a thought: maybe someone in the RS community ought to get some bumpers stickers made up--you know the kind: " Have You Hugged Your Kid Today?"

and have one made that says "Have You Fed Your Microflora Today?":jumpjoy:

DABG 01-16-2014 11:52 AM

Also, MIW, you mention "long acting fiber." One of the things RS does is produce butyric acid when it is broken down in the gut, and there are a number of foods which contain butyric acid so there could be a connection. They are beginning also to realize how important it is to have both water-soluble and non-soluble fibers in our digestive system although now they feel that water-soluble may have more health advantages.

My own private opinion: you can't go wrong with eggs and apples. (Well, I can't eat all the apples I want which is dozens:), but at least I CAN eat them!)

DABG 01-16-2014 01:20 PM

Oh and BTW, I think you have got the whole IF thing down really super-fine, MIW.

I liked your explanation of how eating time can pretty painlessly be extended. I used to eat 3 meals a day--thought breakfast was Soooo Important--loved eating brekky.

But then I read the origins of- the ever-quoted motto: " Start Every Day With Breakfast!" It was INVENTED by the cereal (grain) industry to up the consumption of their products. And sure enough, what do WAY TOO MANY peeps eat for breakfast and feed their kids? yep, CEREAL, usually cold and loaded with sugar.:cry: My mom was an RN and didnt believe in sending us off with a cold breakfast so it was either oatmeal or eggs.

So after discovering Dr Atkins about a thousand years ago, I always ate eggs for my first meal--seemed so sensible and I didnt have a weight problem then. but time passed and my weight crept up and when I discovered IF, began to stretch the time of "breakfast" so that it was more like lunch...as you say "Big Lunch." And that and sensible LC have resulted in good lipid readings and slow weight loss if not Thin-ness yet.;)

At first I kind of missed breakfast (and still eat it when our kids are here for holidays) but then I got so I was perfectly happy without it as long as I had my big mug of coffee or tea (and cream.) And the cream didn't seem to slow my weight loss down much if any. (I think this always varies from person to person so it is one of those YMMV things.)

I am losing slowly and that is OK--some very wise LCF members have said, the most important figure is what you get after 7 days or so, or even weeks of checking your weight: if the long term trend is DOWN ( or at least not UP) you are doing OK and need to hang in there.

Sometimes I think we want to show a weight loss too quickly when we adopt a plan--and it must be ALWAYS a weight loss--so when we hit a stall or a plateau, we dump that plan and try to find some other magic bullet. I have done that myself. And of course, sometimes a change is good and our bodies need it, but perhaps impatience makes us our own worst enemy. so I am sticking with IF and possibly using some RS but I am also learning patience and faith in myself and my body and my attempts to respect it and treat it wisely. After all, it is the only body I have got to house my mind and heart and soul in. :)

Makeitwork 01-16-2014 02:27 PM

If you google The 10 foods that keep you feeling full longer (or similar) it was an article on Foxnews that explained why each food kept people full. For apples it was the natural pectin. Eggs contain EVERY essential amino acid. Potatoes was the fiber. I think bananas or yogurt was in there too. All I know was that I eat at least 3 on that list daily anyways so I was like "Oh, maybe that is why I am never hungry!"

Plus I know now that IF really does work and eating less frequently makes me less hungry and why when I was low calorie and grazing I was crazy hungry all the time!!

I am on a break from the scale but if you scroll back through the 2013 IF thread I posted many of my daily wts and weekly/monthly avg and there were months were I only lost 1/2 pound and I would only have seen it if I was doing the daily wts! I would have given up on high calorie wt loss if it had not been for that technique but I can clearly see the slow steady downward trend with ZERO pain. I am talking NO hunger and eating crazy awesome food in great amounts!

MIW

martha 01-16-2014 05:18 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! I just did a basic low carb diet with a lot of walking, regular strength training, and careful tracking. I kept up with calories, too, which seemed to make a difference especially as I got down near my goal. I got started a little slowly last January, got better focused as time went on, and lost at a pretty consistent pace of a little over a pound a week until about August or September.

I didn't seem to be done losing until fairly recently. I'm still figuring out how maintenance works, though. My biggest new thing is adding yoga to the workout routine. It seems to help me avoid over-training, which is something I've always had trouble with. (Unfortunately, I tend to be kind of "all or nothing".) I am also trying to increase the intensity of a couple of cardio workouts a week. So, long walks, moderate intensity strength training, yoga, and a couple of heart-pounding short runs. Fish, chicken, nuts, cheese, yogurt, eggs, veggies, a little fruit. Once in a while some bacon or kielbasa, but usually just chicken and fish in the meat department. I like to have the good stuff if I can get it and afford it, don't much want to eat grocery store meat, so that creates limitations.

Enjoying the discussion of resistant starch. I try to keep at least a sweet potato or black bean based dish in the fridge for that, but probably will start fixing white potatoes (heated and cooled) as described here.

DABG 01-17-2014 06:22 AM

GOOD MORNING, EVERYONE! It's a pretty day here in our hills (chilly, though.) I am down a pound this morning to 163.5. YES! Plan to change my screen weight after I get below 160. About 8 months ago, I was actually 158 but got careless so slid back a bit and my BG went up. I am 5'5" so for my health need to get into a better weight level--when I do that, my BG and BP roll back into the normal range. (Besides, I miss my size 8 jeans--only a dream for me now.)

I went back and started reading the 2013 IF thread right from the beginning. Will continue to work on that when I have time. It contains a lot of fascinating approaches which I plan to familiarize myself with.

MIW, you have some very creative ways of doing IF and I am going to look into them more. Funny thing, the other day I had some cold potatoes, as part of my RS experiment (maybe 3 T) for "lunch" and was still full at dinner time. Aside from my AM coffee that was all I had had and really wasn't hungry. With my screwed up BG, I'd have been famished after eating potatoes before trying the RS approach to them (and would have gained 2 pounds :cry: )

One reason I love IF (besides being able to lose some weight and feeling good and not hungry all the time) is that there are so many creative ways to do it, as I can see from reading some of MakeItWork's posts. Thanks to her and some of the others in the 2013 thread, I am going to be looking into the Hellers (again) as well as the Big Breakfast idea.

I am SO envious of Oriana--I love fruit of all kinds and really can't have much because of BG issues, so she is one of the really lucky ones.

DABG 01-17-2014 06:29 AM

And Martha, I love reading about your work-out regimen, really admire it. I have got a left leg which complains when I work it much just now (tripped and fell on it a few weeks ago :(:( ) I am hoping to get back to some treadmill time before long combined with some other stuff. I have adult-onset scoliosis so have to be kind of careful what I do.