Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Also, I meant to mention that I am still going to try to go as low carb as I can, but cut out the 2 CM's or at least only have them if I am absolutely starving. Like the idea of 1 big meal within an hour. I just cant do big breakfast because of time and because I want to have dinner with the family. Any ideas/suggestions would be great if anyone has experienced these struggles?
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
I can't imagine maintaining without IF.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Daydreamer5353
Stats: 342/274/130
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: Feb. 14, 2014
I just found this thread last night, and I want to join in! I have tried to read all the posts, but I am only about half way thru so far! I have read a few books and blogs on IF, and have seen that there are several ways to do it, but I just finally found the way for me in the past week. I am finding that an eating window from noon to 8pm works well for me, and I have lost a little over 3 pounds in the past 5 days, which is so refreshing to see on the scale! It is just so amazing to me!

I am also T2D and have to work hard to keep my BG under control. I am getting better at that and have been able to cut out so many of my meds. My dosage of the last pill for diabetes that I take was cut in half last week, which makes me so crazy happy! When I was diagnosed in 2008, my A1C was well over 11% and I was very sick. I just got my A1C back a few days ago, and it was an astounding 5.8! That is in the normal range, and LCHF is what is getting me this wonderful control! Now, to be adding IF to the equation is also helping to drop some weight!

I still have a very long way to go with the weight loss, but I have come a long way as well. I am feeling so much better in general, and now I think I have found a sustainable woe between IF and LCHF that I can do for the rest of my life! After a lifetime of searching for answers, I think I have finally found what will work for me to keep me healthy and satisfied!

I do like the sound of CAD, and have tried it in the past, back before becoming a diabetic. I can't recall how it worked for me, but now, as much as I like that plan, because lets face it, who doesn't want a nice dessert with dinner? But, I'm scared to retry it with BG concerns. I do eat a small amount of carb anyway, because otherwise I have a hypo due to the med I take. So, right now, I know that getting off the med, I have to really commit to not eating the carbs at all, but it feels like a safety net, emotionally at the moment. I suppose time will tell if I can hack it or not!

Connie
Daydreamer5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF,EFGT
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 9/2014
Welcome DD5353, I too am new to this group and find it helps to share information in a non-judgemental way. Love the personal insights, menus and recipes. Good luck in your efforts as we take this journey together.

Thanks to all for sharing!
jblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
HI Bev, it's me Eieio

Also, I meant to mention that I am still going to try to go as low carb as I can, but cut out the 2 CM's or at least only have them if I am absolutely starving. Like the idea of 1 big meal within an hour. I just cant do big breakfast because of time and because I want to have dinner with the family. Any ideas/suggestions would be great if anyone has experienced these struggles?

i started a thread(?) for fast 5 woe, go see
Ei
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:05 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Having an IF day today or DD as in JUDD, here's to success today...
From a positive though subscription I have...

Enjoy it All

In order to enjoy the journey, doesn't there have to BE a journey?

Be grateful for ALL you experience each day, the good and the bad. Enjoy it all, every moment, knowing that every experience makes your life richer in some way.

Today's Positive Quote:

"Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it." - Sai Baba

Julie
Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post

Hi JMBM,
I try to stay under 10gr carbs everyday. My daily high carb is 20 gr or under.
On UD or LC day at dinner I typically have a meat and salad. If you have kids I add a starch for them. My preference for salad is olive oil and red wine vinegar, salt & pepper.
On the IF day dinners I cook separate for them. Right now I am having 2 over easy eggs firm. This works for me but you will have to find our what works for you. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Slimlizzie: No, not at all. In fact it was way

I do "aim" for the fast 5 eating hour window but honestly I am hungry for hours and hours so eating closer to 8 or 10 hours works for me if I do get hungry again.

MIW
Sorry I have read this over and over and can't quite understand. Are you saying a fast 5 eating window makes you hungrier than an 8 or 10 window. Or is the one meal eating within an hour optimum for you? Can you give me an idea of what you eat in a day and what is your reward meal ie carbs as in potatoes/bread or carbs as in anything you want? Thanks

Last edited by mojocat; 03-02-2014 at 01:55 PM..
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I'm looking into IF too, as I think it's typically the way I have always eaten, or at least for a long time now. I don't typically like to eat until later in the morning, especially after I have my coffee with half and half and coconut oil. Then I have an small snack (usually a hard boiled egg or a handful of almonds) around 10, lunch around 12:30 (especially when I'm at work and my schedule is more regimented; salad with a little protein, ie cheese and meat, olive oil), then dinner around 6 (meat and veg).

My main reasons for doing this are : 1-to break the cycle of eating by the clock and, 2- to lose weight. I'm not sure if this is the best method for losing weight, but I want to tinker with it, to see if I can get it to work, because for me it seems like the easiest way to do it. As for eating by the clock, my body is so trained to be STARVING at 4:30 pm. Now that I'm not eating any sugar or fruit, I find that that's getting much better. I really like that feeling.

Just a little background-I went totally gluten and grain free and low carb about 12 days ago. I'm trying to keep my carbs around < 30 g/day, and have been pretty successful I think. I haven't been tracking as much as I should be because I've lost about 4 lbs without even feeling it (as of the last time I weighed myself last week), and I'm just so delighted with that, I want to see how far I can go just being really conscious of what I eat, and completely cutting out my "problem" foods of bread and pasta (and pizza ). I never ever thought I can even get this far, so I want to just keep it up for now and not get distracted.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm always open to suggestions.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Earthcrosser - your diet sounds perfect to me! Lots of studies on IF and I think it's something that you have to try and see if it is for you. If you have always instinctively eaten this way, like I have, you may really adapt to it.
Something as simple as eating your food in a window of hours has the potential to cause weight loss and improved health. I love the freedom this gives me, not thinking of food all day as I know my window is 2pm and I just get on with it. Sure you get hungry, my tummy is rumbling right now as I write at 10.30 am but I know I'm burning fat at this moment and my body is having a rest from digestion and repairing itself. I have learned to enjoy hunger because it makes me appreciate my food more and what a pleasure it is to eat. Food in not the villian, only I have made it so.

Tips - hot drinks herbal teas, flavoured stevia, green tea, water of course and keep busy. Yea so tummy rumbling I'm about to have a huge mug of Apple Tree Tea with a few drops of Cherry Stevia. Oh and break your fast with something healthy; protein and fat in my case; but really your diet is brilliant IMHO.

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby

Last edited by mojocat; 03-10-2014 at 04:33 PM..
Old 03-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
Earthcrosser - your diet sounds perfect to me! Lots of studies on IF and I think it's something that you have to try and see if it is for you. If you have always instinctively eaten this way, like I have, you may really adapt to it.
Something as simple as eating your food in a window of hours has the potential to cause weight loss and improved health. I love the freedom this gives me, not thinking of food all day as I know my window is 2pm and I just get on with it. Sure you get hungry, my tummy is rumbling right now as I write at 10.30 am but I know I'm burning fat at this moment and my body is having a rest from digestion and repairing itself. I have learned to enjoy hunger because it makes me appreciate my food more and what a pleasure it is to eat. Food in not the villian, only I have made it so.

Tips - hot drinks herbal teas, flavoured stevia, green tea, water of course and keep busy. Yea so tummy rumbling I'm about to have a huge mug of Apple Tree Tea with a few drops of Cherry Stevia. Oh and break your fast with something healthy; protein and fat; but really your diet is brilliant IMHO.
Thanks Mojocat! Like I said, I'm really new to this so I am willing to try different things. My most favorite treat right now, since I'm not a sweets hound, is my coffee with cream and coconut oil. I have one regular size mug in the morning, and would have a couple more during the day if I had a way to make it at my office-I need a blender. My plan is to make my food window between 12-7 most days and have two cups of the coffee before noon, perhaps bringing one already prepared to work for late morning. That probably doesnt count as true fasting and I will skip some days, but I figure thats pretty low carb so I will try it and see how my weight loss goes. If I stall I will give it up.

And I love the idea of really listening to my body. Like I said in another thread, I do get hungry but its different...I can handle it so much better now.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

PS: I gave up bread, pasta and pizza 3 years ago and have never looked back - I don't miss it and the health benefits were worth it for me. You can make a pizza on a bed of mince...delish..you won't miss it!
Old 03-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Re the coffee, it depends on which IF guru you follow Bert Herring says nothing over 5 calories and others say CO and cream in your coffee don't count because they are fats. The best fast however is the one you will stick to in the long run, so if the CO and cream get you through the day so be it. You can always fine tune later on if you need to as you adapt.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Uggh..so sorry, my internet keeps throwing me out when I Edit and I have to log back in and repost - so sorry

Anyway re blender at office - you can buy those little battery blenders for a few bucks - they do the job quite well
Old 03-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Thank you 3x Mojocat! For now I think I will stick with the coffee.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cali girl
Stats: 213/186/135 (5'7"- 57yrs)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept.1st.2014 - 191lbs.
Hi, I want to try IF..
Not sure which plan I want to go with, was thinking one meal a day, with weekends open. Not really low carb, but maybe just what I want each day. Was thinking saturday and Sunday two meals a day. Again anything I want. I was low carb and lost weight but just can't stick with it. I know LC is healthy but I think IF is to.
Janice
Cali girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
I, too, am doing IF. I have a mid-afternoon large meal and at nite just a small snack. Lost 35lbs this way years ago. Let's see if I can do it again! I think I still have to keep track of calories/carbs though because I won't lose if I eat over 1000 cals/day. I try to stay in the 800-1000 range plus keep carbs under 100 (preferably 60-80). I can't do classis JUDDD because I just find it too hard to eat 500 cals or less on any day. It's easier for me to just eat lower every day and not take it that low. I am trying to volumize with more veggies and salad as well. Not much fruit as it is so sugar laden. Dunno, it's hard any way you cut it!
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mulberry
WOE: 8 Hour Diet / low carb
Start Date: January 2014
LC for 3 months - Now adding IF

I am wishing this thread was much longer ! I, too, have been on a modified low carb diet for 3 months....finding it practically impossible to stay under 20 carbs a day I don't even remember how I stumbled onto the 8 Hour Diet, but, I was so frustrated with my slow loss, I decided to give it a try. I have only been doing this for 4 days (and I haven't checked the scale as yet) but I LOVE it ! If this w.o.e. works for me, it will truly be the miracle that I have been searching for ! I am finding it very easy to not eat until 12 noon each day...knowing that I don't really have to count anything!!! I am probably staying under 50 carbs a day (not that I have to because this plan says I can actually eat whatever I want within reason) but I have so trained myself to eat pretty low carb, that the only things I have added to my LC eating are minor amounts of fruit (usually berries), maybe a piece of whole grain bread, and an occassional sweet potato for dinner.
8 hours certainly gives one A LOT of time for eating and oddly enough, after having a really nice lunch, I find that I am truly not hungry until maybe just before dinnertime. Sometimes I will have a glass of wine and a piece of cheese while I am cooking. Other times I just ignore the hunger knowing that soon I will be having a very nice dinner. Luckily, I am a person who did all of my eating during the day. I never get hungry at night (hard to believe that I could be 60 pounds overweight ) so it isn't hard to resist any snacking in the evening....and, I am usually sleeping by 10 p.m. Then, in the morning, I have my two cups of coffee and I'm all set until lunch. Oh, and I'm back on the treadmill every morning for a quick 8-10 minutes (which is exactly what the program calls for!)
So now will come the test. I will not weigh myself for at least a week and we shall see if IF and The 8 Hour Diet is truly the answer I have been looking for.
PLEASE all of you who are on some sort of IF, please post regularly. It's wonderful to read what all of you are experiencing!
mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:43 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Suze...
Laughed so hard at your w.o.e. "anything that works!" So true. But I really love this 8 Hour Diet and am praying that it works for me. I am a very young 72 years old and have 60 pounds to lose (I'm also 5'2") and it's sure not easy when you are older. These young gals don't know how much easier it is for them!! I can remember when I could lose 2 pounds a week easily on any diet. Now it's just a miracle to see the scale budge!!! Anyway, stay on the board....keep posting! We CAN do this
Old 05-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #80
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tbagram
Stats: 249/230/180
WOE: The Big Breakfast/IF
Start Date: 4/28/14
Hi everyone! I too am a veteran low Carver. At 63 it i tougher to loose the weight but have been trying the IF with my meal in the morning's. I am still tweaking this by incorporating resistive starch and coconut oil.If I get hungry this evening I will have coconut oil and HWC in some decalf...sure hope this works. Even if its slow I am OK with that. Health has taken a front seat in my brain.
tbagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

I guess I am lucky because after I have my dinner (which is usually around 6 p.m.) and maybe a dessert/snack around 7:45 , I am really not craving anything for the rest of the evening. One thing that helps me is that I am usually in bed by 10 or 10:30 so a lot of the fasting is done sleeping ! But I am getting really good at not eating anything until 12 noon (except coffee with a bit of milk and liquid Splenda). It's so psychological! I KNOW that at noon I can have a nice lunch with pretty much anything I want (although I am really mindful of the bad carbs at all times), so I can withstand any hunger pangs I might have as I approach the end of my 16 hour fast. I this works! Stay tuned............
Oh,and just one thing about tweaking. I am the greatest diet-tweaker in the world but when they say 16 hours of fast, they really mean that this won't really work unless your system is free from "incoming" food for that amount of time. They do permit the coffee with the tiny bit of milk, and water of course, but that's it. I truly want to see if this works!

Last edited by mulberry; 05-02-2014 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: to add one more thought....
Old 05-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 14days
WOE: INTERMITTENT FASTING
Hello, I'm doing one meal a day at 8 pm on weekdays.....with a protein lunch SOMETIMES. On weekends dinner is earlier
14days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
One meal a day is awesome!
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 14days
WOE: INTERMITTENT FASTING
Yup..... A dream come true lol
14days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbagram View Post

Even if its slow I am OK with that. Health has taken a front seat in my brain.

Ditto that!
Galveston Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:34 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Hi gals, well I am finding more and more that it is really fasting that works best for me and that is why I lost on my trip. It really is freeing. I can eat whatever I want whenever I want or not at all. I fasted 48 hours on the flight just by accident because I didn't want to eat the yucky airline food and it really wasn't difficult. Then when I was in Israel there was a big buffet which I ate 3 plates of every night and that was my big meal of the day. I had a day of fruit for a snack and then a late buffet and on the way home I fasted again for 48 hours.

I don't worry about the hour or the time of day. I eat a lot too and what I want. Yesterday was a late lunch around 4 p.m. of a lg. ribeye, salad with ranch and 2 ice cream bars. Today I am going to eat a crate of peaches and later on 2 huge carrot cake cupcakes. Tomorrow I will fast for a dinner with my mom. This is much more freeing for me than any diet ever!
oriana is online now Report Post to Moderators
Old 06-01-2014, 01:36 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Ladies, if you want to get rid of the dieting mentality and you want to eat what you want, not count calories, not even weigh if you don't want to...............FAST. I know it sounds contradictory but I can go anywhere in the world and not worry if I binge, or go without. I fast and eat whatever I want. I am free!!!!!!!!!!! No more diets!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQ View Post

I am trying to volumize with more veggies and salad as well. Not much fruit as it is so sugar laden. Dunno, it's hard any way you cut it!

I try to tell myself that my body (no matter how old it gets!) is an "Excellent survival machine"...because it stores any small calorie that comes its way!!!

So, staying Low Carb is the only way I can trick it to give up the "you might need it on a rainy day" thinking that it does constantly!
Throw in a few IF-days...keep it in Keto on the other days...keep it guessing I think!
Galveston Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:32 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
I need clarification cause someone told me yesterday that I am doing IF.

I eat one time a day and have been for almost a year. Now (since I'm in maintenance) I have <1400 kcals and <14 carbs daily. But I do have my coffee with almond/coconut blend unsweetened in the am. I generally eat btwn 4-5 pm everyday. So is that IF or not? Just curious.
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

I think that is fasting but I usually have done 24-50 hours fasts. Even the coffee with cream breaks a fast.