Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Welcome becs. This is a great place to come for support and answers. Being able to ask questions of people who have already "been there" and are willing to share their experience has kept me from having to reinvent the wheel a time or two. You'll probably find that's true for you too.

At 71 I can't advise you on getting through TOM, but I have had hypoglycemia for decades (though half an hour after drinking that ghastly syrup they give you for the test I spiked into the diabetic range before plunging to a blood sugar level near the insulin shock point), and it does complicate things. It seems to make me have less wiggle room, while at the same time increasing cravings. Caffeine and artificial sweeteners, many fruits such as pineapple, bananas and cherries, and even low-fat milk, can actually make me feel shaky. And of course, the minute I start feeling shaky I start craving carbs intensely--the very thing I don't need. What I need, of course, is fat and protein, so I try to keep things like baked chicken or roast beef in the refrigerator so good protein is instantly available. A bit of cheese helps a lot, too, though it's hard to turn to these "legal" foods when my body is telling me it "needs" a candy bar!

Keeping a food diary, even part of the time, and noting how you react to food is a real help. We're all a bit different, so we need to get to know our own bodies. One change I've had to make, and for a tea lover like me it wasn't easy, was switching to decaf tea and making it weaker than I'd like. However, the good news is that after a while these changed habits become the new normal.

One more thing, though I've rambled on too much already--you say you're a Brit. I understand the climate in the UK is a lot like that of America's Pacific Northwest, where I spent most of my life, though I now live in Texas. Do you find that it's harder to stay on plan during the long grey winters? I sure did in Oregon, and even here in sunny Texas three days of overcast will send my carb craving into overdrive. Exercise and getting outside to soak up whatever natural light is available helps, but if I were still in the PNW I'd think seriously about getting one of those light boxes. Just a thought.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #212
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 208/208/140
WOE: CAD
Start Date: Jan 2014
Good thoughts everyone thanks for sharing what you all are going through.

Having a better mental day today because I took some time to do my bible study, pray and listen to some praise music. Gratitude always gives me a better outlook on life.

Katmck - good idea about saving the out to eats for TOM.

Beadelia - I know my doctor told me to take extra Vit D in the winter months because we aren't getting outside to get the natural stuff. It really can't hurt you I don't think if you don't over do it. I was so Vit D deficient that she gave me a prescription for 50,000 units or whatever for 3 weeks. Since taking Vit D daily I do notice a marked improvement in mood. I take 4000 iu of Vit D3 because i am not a huge outdoors person although I would like to be better.

Sounds like everyone is chugging along. I agree with the fact that we are all on here shows we aren't giving up. I keep envisioning myself like the one of you that used an orange as part of your RM and ended up only eating half of that. That is a healthy alternative to my usual RM of chocolate!

Sorry unless I write it down, I forget the names of everyone by the time I try to write a response!

Also just wanted to post a non-CAD comment - this weeks Sherlock was AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Sanctifiedbygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Sanctifiedbygrace, that's a very good point about vitamin D. Most people are deficient in it . Face it, we were designed to be outdoors most of the time, and through most of the time humans have been on this planet we were, but now most of us aren't. I recently had some lab work done that showed me very deficient in Vitamin D, but my doctor didn't seem to pay much attention, and didn't prescribe any, so it didn't seem important. But when I showed the lab results to my chiropractor, she was floored that my doctor hadn't put me on a supplement. She gave me Vitamin K2 (45 mcg) with D3 (5,000 IU), and I sure notice a difference in energy and mood levels, and just in general well-being, if I don't take my daily capsule. I Googled vitamins D and K together, and read that taking additional D without the right balance of K increases the risk of depositing calcium in arteries and soft tissues.

My mom once asked a medical doctor how much nutrition he'd studied in medical school, and he said they were given one hour on the subject. I sure hope things have improved since then, but basically doctors are not nutritionists, so we need to learn all we can ourselves, or have a reliable practitioner--good chiropractor, dietitian, or nutritionist, we can turn to.

Is that the Sherlock on public television you said was so good? Maybe I'd better start watching.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #214
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post
I said I wasn't going to weigh every day but I get so curious to see what's going on. Never had deep fried cauliflower but sounds worthy of trying. Something different anyway.
I am sure it is not in most people's healthy range, but I figure much better than an order of fries. And it tastes good, especially dipped in Ranch dressing. And the volume is less than the huge basket of fries
iakaren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
I am sure it is not in most people's healthy range, but I figure much better than an order of fries. And it tastes good, especially dipped in Ranch dressing. And the volume is less than the huge basket of fries
I think I could eat anything dipped in ranch. Lol. How do you make them. Obviously you don't batter them right.?
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #216
Junior LCF Member

Blood Sugar Spike

Beadelia - yes Sherlock on PBS. Netflix has the other 6 episodes but I do tell people that one is VERY inappropriate while the rest are grown up clean. Just a warning.

Now back to food related issues so noone gets me for changing the forum - I agree about the nutrition standpoint in doctors. I do see some that have more of a holistic approach and I like that. Luckily in our small town our doctor is very into healthful practices so she looks at that first before meds but never mentions my weight to me which I appreciate.

Hope everyone is doing good. Haven't weighed today and already ate breakfast so not going to look now.

Need some energy to get moving. I know that would really help me out. I signed up on healthcheckusa.com to get my blood tests run - CBC, thyroid including T4, hormones, liver and kidney function, etc - all for $265. You can pay for it with your flex plan or HSA if you have one. Don't even need a doctor to allow it. I go there every couple of years for baseline then take results to my doctor if needed. Hair seems strange and has changed texture last month along with other strange things so want to make sure it isn't anything at cell level. Also I thought having it at 208 would help me to know what was maybe weight related and if my numbers improve with weight loss.

CAD QUESTION - has anyone else wondered about a spike in blood sugar at the RM? Eating so low sugar and then no insulin release does it allow for a blood spike at RM? Mine seems to do that. It is ok but I am really tired after eating RM. Books don't address this. Just curious.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Sanctifiedbygrace, if you've been eating really low-carb CMs you should at least have less of a blood sugar spike at your RM, but I don't know if you should expect no spike. I haven't tested my blood sugar after eating my RM, but I think I do get a spike because I often get rapid heartbeats and then fall asleep. Have to admit I'm also often a bit foggy mentally after my RM, and that's not a good sign. I'm working on making my RMs less of a daily pig-out and more the balanced but more relaxed meal it's supposed to be, with LIMITED additional carbs. Most of my RMs aren't balanced at all. Today's was three homemade tacos and a bunch of raw cashews, with orange juice mixed with club soda to wash it down. Not balanced. Typically I'd have topped that off with a couple of cookies, but Emmylou Hairiest was purring on my lap so I fell asleep cuddling her instead. Often my RM is fast food, and saying "balanced fast food" is like saying "dry water."

I live alone, except for the kitten (my husband is in an assisted living facility because of advanced Alzheimer's), and many days it seems like too much of an effort to fix three wholesome meals for one person. However, if I want my quality of life to improve significantly, I just have to do it.

Thanks for the information about healthcheckusa.com. Hope your tests all come out fine, but if, for instance, you do have low thyroid, that can really affect your ability to control weight. (You're lucky to have a doctor who doesn't ride you about your weight--you'd think that all doctors would realize that overweight people know who they are and most struggle with it as best they can, and that if telling people to lose weight did any good there wouldn't be any fat people in America, but they just keep on saying the same hurtful things and prescribing the same useless diets. Sighhhhhh.) Could the change in your hair be due to winter weather?

JMBM--I'm with you on the ranch dressing. I found one in the produce section at Whole Foods that has only two grams of carbohydrate per 2 tablespoon serving, so it works even with CMs. Actually, it only takes about 1 tablespoon to make steamed broccoli or green beans a lot more interesting!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member

You know, I just realized that Makeitwork hasn't posted since January 22, which is kind of a long silence. MIW, is everything OK?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #219
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/107.8/110 as of 07/15/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
You know, I just realized that Makeitwork hasn't posted since January 22, which is kind of a long silence. MIW, is everything OK?
I was wondering the same thing. Hope everything's all right!
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Hi all! I am back. Was gone on a trip to visit a friend and took a vacay from the computer as well.

Proud to report I stayed on plan. Was easy, even on the road. The road trip was 12 hours each way, driving alone. I made those RM only days and had Subway footlongs with extra meat and cheese (turkey) and lots of veggies, then some other carbs with it. Not balanced but I was happily content all day on those meals. The other days while at my friend's place ate fairly balanced with lots of meat and veggies, plus my carbs. Also did CM's of meat and veggies those days.

On TOM and spot check of wts still 212-213 lb range. I plan on doing daily wts with averages again probably starting on Monday. Decided to take a break for last couple of months just due to the 15 month previous tedium of tracking. I still know I am in a plateau but glad to see I am not gaining even with what I consider to be massive amounts of food/calories I am consuming.

Glad to see how well everyone is doing and the insight and stopping the insanity approach many are taking. I am so glad I found this WOE and have tried it every way (CM's, no CM's, complete balance, bingefests during RM, etc). No matter how I try it I see that it works. Even when upping my calories it still works. I am not losing but I am not gaining either. I could easily add in some exercise or cut back a bit on ye olde food intake and expect to see loss again. But also, I am experimenting with just seeing if I continue along this course if I will start losing again. I have read many long timers on this WOE unexpectedly start losing again after long plateaus with claims of not changing anything so I want to see if that will happen to me. I don't know if I can go any longer than about 4 months of a stall but we shall see.

I have to work again this Fri, Sat, Sun so I will most likely be absent but just wanted to check in and say Hi and let everyone know what I have been up to.

Also- WELCOME all the new posters!!!

MIW
Old 01-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Welcome back, MIW! Glad to hear that you were on vacation and not down with the flu or something. Congrats for staying on plan while traveling. That's one of the hardest times for me to stay on any plan, because I get this "I shall not pass this way again" (or at least for another six months) feeling and want to try all the interesting local restaurants. You done good.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #222
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I think I could eat anything dipped in ranch. Lol. How do you make them. Obviously you don't batter them right.?
Actually is a light batter. Can buy them if at the right place.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Hi all! I am back. Was gone on a trip to visit a friend and took a vacay from the computer as well.

Proud to report I stayed on plan. Was easy, even on the road. The road trip was 12 hours each way, driving alone. I made those RM only days and had Subway footlongs with extra meat and cheese (turkey) and lots of veggies, then some other carbs with it. Not balanced but I was happily content all day on those meals. The other days while at my friend's place ate fairly balanced with lots of meat and veggies, plus my carbs. Also did CM's of meat and veggies those days.

On TOM and spot check of wts still 212-213 lb range. I plan on doing daily wts with averages again probably starting on Monday. Decided to take a break for last couple of months just due to the 15 month previous tedium of tracking. I still know I am in a plateau but glad to see I am not gaining even with what I consider to be massive amounts of food/calories I am consuming.

Glad to see how well everyone is doing and the insight and stopping the insanity approach many are taking. I am so glad I found this WOE and have tried it every way (CM's, no CM's, complete balance, bingefests during RM, etc). No matter how I try it I see that it works. Even when upping my calories it still works. I am not losing but I am not gaining either. I could easily add in some exercise or cut back a bit on ye olde food intake and expect to see loss again. But also, I am experimenting with just seeing if I continue along this course if I will start losing again. I have read many long timers on this WOE unexpectedly start losing again after long plateaus with claims of not changing anything so I want to see if that will happen to me. I don't know if I can go any longer than about 4 months of a stall but we shall see.

I have to work again this Fri, Sat, Sun so I will most likely be absent but just wanted to check in and say Hi and let everyone know what I have been up to.

Also- WELCOME all the new posters!!!

MIW
Glad you're back MIW. Very inspired by your success. Hope I'm as successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
Actually is a light batter. Can buy them if at the right place.
Would like to try it. I bought a head of cauliflower to make cauliflower mash and totally forgot to fix it. Anyway there's always tonight!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:29 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I started at 159.3 (I think) and today weighed 157.8. Yay, I'll take it! Didn't have breakfast, but had grilled chicken breast w/green beans. Probably steak salad and dessert for dinner.

156.4 Woo hoo love this woe!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Stopping the Insanity

Yesterday MIW mentioned the ďstop the insanityĒ measures some of you are taking. Well, itís time I stopped my own insanity of half-heartedly following CAD/CALP, and of staying up real late and then eating stuff I shouldnít. (I read once that when you donít get enough sleep you crave food because your body is telling you it needs energy from somewhere.) Iím still losing, but tiny amounts. Mediocre results from partial compliance. Anyway, my plan for now is to commit to one solid week of strict observance of CAD, no slips, no excuses. If I get hungry Iíll just have to soldier through to the next ďlegalĒ eating occasion and then make my CM or RM a little bigger next time. I also want to commit to one week of getting to bed before midnight. Hopefully by the end of that week my body will have adjusted to this regimen and will stop demanding food at ďoffĒ times.

To help with this, Iím going to post my meals for the week, plus any slip-ups, and also post my bedtimes. I figure itís like going to confession. If I know Iím going to have to tell Father M. what Iíve done, I think twice and then a few more times about doing it. Same thing hereóif I know Iím going to have to tell yíall everything I eat, I will think twice about having two RMs in the same day just because my sister asked me to go out to dinner with her after I already ate my RM for lunch. Letís see what kind of results real whole-hearted compliance gets me.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations!

JMBM, hearty congratulations on your loss! You done good. You said you weighed 157.8 today, but down below that you put the number 156.4. Is that your goal for next week? Just a little confused, is all.

Mmmmm, steak, salad and dessert tonight. That sounds good! Tomorrow we're going to Logan's Roadhouse to celebrate my niece's DH's birthday, and I think I'll plan now to have either steak or grilled chicken with salad and dessert. Iced tea or water, of course. If I already plan what I want to order, I'll be less tempted to look at the menu and then order chicken fried chicken and mashed potatoes with white gravy, plus dinner rolls, plus corn, plus dessert, plus a big soft drink. Before we moved to Texas my sister warned me that the two favorite sports in the Dallas area were shopping and eating out. I've never learned to enjoy a mall crawl, but I sure do dig Southern cooking--all too well.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #227
Senior LCF Member

Glad all is well, MIW, and kudos on the strict CAD observance! I always have the most trouble following CAD guidelines when I'm traveling.

Quote:
Well, I started at 159.3 (I think) and today weighed 157.8. Yay, I'll take it! Didn't have breakfast, but had grilled chicken breast w/green beans. Probably steak salad and dessert for dinner.

156.4 Woo hoo love this woe!!!
Congrats! I definitely think this WOE works and is less constrictive than pretty much any other!

Quote:
Yesterday MIW mentioned the ďstop the insanityĒ measures some of you are taking. Well, itís time I stopped my own insanity of half-heartedly following CAD/CALP, and of staying up real late and then eating stuff I shouldnít. (I read once that when you donít get enough sleep you crave food because your body is telling you it needs energy from somewhere.) Iím still losing, but tiny amounts. Mediocre results from partial compliance. Anyway, my plan for now is to commit to one solid week of strict observance of CAD, no slips, no excuses. If I get hungry Iíll just have to soldier through to the next ďlegalĒ eating occasion and then make my CM or RM a little bigger next time. I also want to commit to one week of getting to bed before midnight. Hopefully by the end of that week my body will have adjusted to this regimen and will stop demanding food at ďoffĒ times.

To help with this, Iím going to post my meals for the week, plus any slip-ups, and also post my bedtimes. I figure itís like going to confession. If I know Iím going to have to tell Father M. what Iíve done, I think twice and then a few more times about doing it. Same thing hereóif I know Iím going to have to tell yíall everything I eat, I will think twice about having two RMs in the same day just because my sister asked me to go out to dinner with her after I already ate my RM for lunch. Letís see what kind of results real whole-hearted compliance gets me.
I had very low results when I first started this WOE. I lost nothing the first couple of weeks and then only .3 lbs the first three weeks after I started "getting serious." I later realized it was because I wasn't balancing my RMs at all and was eating carbs way too late at night. When I finally started truly following all the guidelines, I won't lie, I did have some nights where I went to bed hungry. But now, I guess my stomach has adjusted because it doesn't bother me anymore, and the almost a pound a week loss since then without deprivation sure makes all the trouble the first few weeks worth it!
Old 01-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #228
Senior LCF Member

KatMcK, thank you for the helpful information and the heads up about going to bed hungry. I'll try to save my daily snack for bedtime, and make it a very low carb one, and then refuse to get up to eat in the small hours of the morning. Hopefully if I'm firm with my stomach, it will adjust the way yours did. Also try to have more balanced RMs, and make sure to have them for breakfast or lunch, except when I know I'm eating out with someone. Am also trying to drink more water, since sometimes your body interprets thirst as hunger. Thank goodness for the filtered cold water feature in my fridge--Texas tap water tastes terrible, at least to this former Pacific Northwesterner. Sure do appreciate the sunny winters, tho. Hopefully I'll start seeing the kind of weekly weight loss you've been enjoying.

Could someone please tell me how to insert quotes in my posts? Thanks much.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:45 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Hi everyone, and a big Hi to MIW, I was about to ask where you might be and then I saw your post. I do come here often and read, even tho I don't post a lot.. I have really been thru a hard time with this allergic reaction, and to top it all off, now I find out that the diuretic that my Dr kept giving me, has sulfites in it.. that is what has kept the break outs going since last May !. . well, he finally took me off of it, and then prescribed phentermine, oh sure, like I'm going to take his advice on that.. Phentermine can raise BP, and now I'm off of half of my BP meds. . A person has to think for themselves these days, cause I sure don't have a lot of trust left for my Dr. . sorry for the rant. . I have had a miserable rash, last time for a solid month too, so I've decided whatever it takes to get well, I will do it. . I can't say enough good things about the woe that has kept me from gaining a ton of weight. . I appreciate that. . I have learned some things about myself that may not apply to others, but one big thing for me is to get enough protein.. more than a few carbs causes me to get very hungry.. also, someone talked about how the stomach may change, well, something happened to mine to where I cannot eat a large volume of food at one meal.. so I had to do some CM and not such a big RM, I was able to do a big RM at first, but now, I just can't and don't try to.. all things considered, I have lost over 12 lbs in the last few months, and I am very grateful, , I'm getting back on track to follow this woe pretty exactly, and I look forward to success.. . thanks for all your posts and good info.

jerri
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Jaymar, that is the absolute pits! It's just unimaginable that your doctor failed to put two and two together and let your misery go on so long. It really does seem like you have to be your own doctor to some extent. Of course, we can't all go to medical school, but thank goodness for the internet. I usually Google the daylights out of anything I'm prescribed, and then make up my own mind about whether I am going to take it. Sounds like you do too. But congrats on soldiering through and continuing to lose in spite of everything.

OK, I said I was going to post my meals for a week, so here goes yesterday:

Breakfast: 1 C unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze, tea with whole milk, 2 eggs fried in Pam, 3 Jimmie Dean turkey link sausages (30 cal each, 1 gm carb for the three). Took over 10 minutes to drink the tea.

Lunch: Salad with lettuce and mixed veggies, ranch dressing, 3 homemade tacos with cheese, ľ cup trail mix. Drink was glass of club soda with a packet of True Lemon, no sweetener.

Afternoon break: Cup of mint tea, no sweetener

Dinner: Lean ground beef patty with Pace picante, green beans with dollop of ranch dressing.

Bedtime: Small amount of milk to take a pill that requires milk or food.

Got to bed 15 minutes after midnight. Not good, but better than usual.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Breakfast: 1 C unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze, tea with whole milk, 2 eggs fried in Pam, 3 Jimmie Dean turkey link sausages (30 cal each, 1 gm carb for the three). Took over 10 minutes to drink the tea.

Lunch: Salad with lettuce and mixed veggies, ranch dressing, 3 homemade tacos with cheese, ľ cup trail mix. Drink was glass of club soda with a packet of True Lemon, no sweetener.

Afternoon break: Cup of mint tea, no sweetener

Dinner: Lean ground beef patty with Pace picante, green beans with dollop of ranch dressing.

Bedtime: Small amount of milk to take a pill that requires milk or food.

Got to bed 15 minutes after midnight. Not good, but better than usual.
Yum! I always love seeing everybody's meals.

To quote people's posts, you can click on the quote button in the bottom right hand corner of each post. It should bring up the reply screen with the quoted words. If you want to quote multiple posts, you click the button to the right of the quote button and it will turn red. Click on that button for each post you want to quote and then when you click the post reply button at the bottom of the screen, all the posts you clicked on should pop up. Hope that helps, I think it's kinda confusing!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
I really do like seeing posts that list what people are eating, it's very helpful, and once in a while I come across something that really adds to my enjoyment. for instance., I really do have to watch carbs at my RM, if I have too many, I don't lose. . so one thing I came up with was a small pizza that really satisfies me. I take one 8 or 9 inch flour tortilla and toast it a little while in the skillet, then I add on my cooked Italian sausage, or ground beef, onions, cheese, mushrooms, whatever I have, then put the skillet into a 350 degree oven for between five and ten minutes... the crust is so thin and crispy , I look forward to having one whenever I can.
Bedelia, sounds like you are making great progress, so keep up the good work and I wish you the best in your efforts.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #233
Senior LCF Member

I haven't logged food in a while, but it's kinda been all over the place. Had a huge jump today (116.8 to 117.6) probably from the Cheesecake Factory RM I ate yesterday.

I'm going to go back to my regular menu after this evening, but since it's super bowl, I treated myself like crazy this weekend! Gotta knock that off tomorrow.

For breakfast, I had:

1 1/2 eggs and 3 pieces of bacon scrambled into a hash with faux grits/cream of wheat made using chia seeds, unsweeted coconut flakes, flax meal, cinnamon, butter and cream. I really like my faux cream of wheat, but I recommend just adding some stevia or legal sweetener and eating it slightly sweetened. I don't like it as much savory.

Lunch RM: Double whopper with cheese plain, no sides. Not very balanced, I know.

Tonight: Wings and brats!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #234
Junior LCF Member

Hi MIW! So glad you are back. I was thinking the same as everyone else so know that you are valued and missed when not on here.

Jaymar - It is hard with doctors because they only have a limited time to see each patient. You definitely have to advocate for yourself. Glad it all worked out.

Beadelia- First off I am so sorry about your husband. That must be extremely hard. Thanks for the info on the blood sugar. I was thinking that was strange. I would eat then have rapid heartbeat just like you said then fall asleep. My A1C wasn't very good 2 years ago but I thought it was because I was mainlining sugar. Now not so sure. I did the blood test so will know more by Tuesday I think.

JMBM - great job on the weight loss.

I start my juice reboot tomorrow which except for fruit is low carb overall. I am hoping it will lend me the right attitude to do CAD the way the Hellers intended it.

Good night everyone. Enjoy your week.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Still trying to fine tune things...was having a problem, finally figured out it was because I wasn't eating enough protein, and having mostly vegetables, just really wasn't working for me. So I looked at the Big Breakfast info, because also figuring out that it isn't working to eat late for my RM....But I don't think I can eat that much that early.
What has been working for me the last couple days, is skipping breakfast, except for some decaf and cream with my Rxs. And sometime around noon having my big breakfast/rm. And have found I haven't had to eat anymore, just that one meal a day. I really had big servings of protein and not so much vegetables, and it seemed to fit. I sleep pretty late, sometimes 8 am, so if I eat around 12 that sort of is breakfast??? (rationalizing). Anyway, finding my way around, and so far it's o.k. I would eat a small cm if I needed it, but so far haven't been hungry or felt like I needed refueling at all. It sure helps not to still have food in my stomach at bedtime, and getting the reflux, so this may be what I will stick with until it doesn't work anymore. I would appreciate any feedback that you more experienced CAD folks have on this timing thing.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
Yum! I always love seeing everybody's meals.

To quote people's posts, you can click on the quote button in the bottom right hand corner of each post. It should bring up the reply screen with the quoted words. If you want to quote multiple posts, you click the button to the right of the quote button and it will turn red. Click on that button for each post you want to quote and then when you click the post reply button at the bottom of the screen, all the posts you clicked on should pop up. Hope that helps, I think it's kinda confusing!
Thanks KatMcK. I think I've got it. We'll see in a minute.

Saturday's meals were:

Breakfast: 4 turkey sausages, tea with milk.

Lunch: Ham (1 carb per 3 oz serving), green beans w ranch dressing.

Dinner at Loganís Roadhouse: Peanuts, roll, grilled chicken with peppercorn sauce on rice, loaded baked potato, broccoli. Ate about half, brought the rest home for tomorrow. Took over an hour to eat, so shouldnít have had the peanuts and roll when we went in. (They always have buckets of peanuts on the table, and youíre supposed to throw the shells on the floor.) Dessert when I got home was a tablespoon of trail mix that includes dried fruit but no candy.

Bedtime: A few nuts and about 1/3 cup milk to cushion a pill.

Got to bed about one. Old habits die hard. Then the kitten did her best until way after two to make me get up and play with her, and started in again just after six, so for much of today I was a zombie craving carbs, and when I went to a friend's house to watch the big game I ate far too many of them. Back on the wagon tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:20 AM   #237
Big Yapper!!!!

Had 1 cup coffee with Int Delight for BF.
Lunch was potato soup, crackers and cheese, and small cheesecake.
French Dip Sandwich (leftover) and Barbecue ribs.
Finished up with 2 hand fulls of Peanut M & Ms for SuperBowl supper.

Scale wasn't friendly this morning, but figure mostly salt.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #238
Senior LCF Member

Sunday, February 2, 2014
Breakfast: 3 turkey sausages

Lunch: Ham (1 gram carb for 3 oz serving), green beans with blue cheese dressing

Dinner: Super Bowl disaster, and I donít mean just the score for those of us rooting for Denver. Saved my RM for evening, went to a friendís house for dinner and the game, and there was very little protein and no veggies at all, but a lot of delicious carbs and I ate them. Lesson: In the future, offer to bring a relish tray which includes some cheese, and eat a substantial amount of protein right before I leave the house just in case. We had fun though.

Up .7 lb this morning, hoping some of that is salt. Also feeling sorta like the morning after the night before, though all I drank was club soda with lemon. Can you get a carb hangover?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Definitely can get a sugar hangover. Feels like flu sometimes. We all have these events, tho.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymar View Post
I really do like seeing posts that list what people are eating, it's very helpful, and once in a while I come across something that really adds to my enjoyment. for instance., I really do have to watch carbs at my RM, if I have too many, I don't lose. . so one thing I came up with was a small pizza that really satisfies me. I take one 8 or 9 inch flour tortilla and toast it a little while in the skillet, then I add on my cooked Italian sausage, or ground beef, onions, cheese, mushrooms, whatever I have, then put the skillet into a 350 degree oven for between five and ten minutes... the crust is so thin and crispy , I look forward to having one whenever I can.
Bedelia, sounds like you are making great progress, so keep up the good work and I wish you the best in your efforts.
Jaymar, thank you for your encouragement, and for sharing your special pizza. It kind of reminds me of one my mom used to make, where she'd toast an English muffin (though that probably had far more carbs than the tortilla), and smear catsup or tomato sauce thinly on the open halves, sprinkle with oregano (Italian seasoning would work, too), add cheese, and put it in the toaster oven just long enough to melt the cheese. Do you ever use any kind of tomato sauce? I like your meaty version. With a salad you should have a pretty well-balanced RM.