Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #1351
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
I've been bouncing the same couple of pounds since I started back on CAD. Going to do a few tweaks to see if I can start losing. I've got a dr. appt. coming up in a couple of weeks and would like to show some progress....
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #1352
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: janCAD
Stats: 147/138.1/132
WOE: CAD diet
Start Date: 6/26/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
janCAD what are your rms like? do you have cms too?
Hey Oriana,
I'll give you the long answer so you dont have to go back thru the whole thread. I started on 6/26 and for many many weeks, my rm was a major binge. I know the Hellers said that wasn't the point of it but i had to go thru the psychological addiction part, eating as much goodies as i ever had in a lifetime. Sometimes they were well balanced, sometimes they started with an icecream sundae. When cravings were really bad, i moved rm to midday so that i could get my fix outta the way, so to speak. Otherwise, i spent too much of my time thinking about it thru the day.

This went on until the 1st of August, about 6 wks, and i let myself ride the roller coaster b/c i cant see doing this unless you are going to commit to making it a way of life. I wasnt too strict about doung entry vs. plan B vs C or D depending on wt loss. I tried to listen to my bod and eat when i was hungry. sometimes i would have 3 or 4 small cms even tho i wasn't losing - and the days after, i would always lose so i must have needed it. So then one day in early August, i didn't have time to have 2 cms. and then i got sick and couldn't eat anything but icecream (during that one hour) for 2 days.
That week i went from 141-142 down to 139. 7 roughly. I never even saw 140. For some reason, that was a breakthrough for me. I had so wanted to see under 140 that that gave me the freedom i needed to go back to eating like a normal person and looking forward to corn and beans for rm with a bite or 2 of chocolate after dinner. Or maybe enjoy a piece of toast with peanut butter on it, or yogurt. That was normal for me - b/c i know my sweet tooth is out of control so i had never had goodies like that before. But i needed to go through it and still managed to come down 5 lbs in 5 wks. So cant complain.

Since then, i find myself not needing anything but decaf espresso with cream for bf/cm and then at 11:30-1:30 i grab a cm. Every other night i have a rich RW (wine, good food, dessert) and the next nite i just don't seem to need it. I have started to pay good attn and use some of the tricks i have heard from vets like Kat- savory one RM, sweet the other. so one nite a few wks ago i had bread and butter (big treat for me) at a restaurant for dinner and no dessert.

At PMS i still crave bad and occasionally stuff myself. But i got to that point psychologically where i was able to let go of the addiction a bit and my bod chem seemed to go along. I think i finally realized that i can have whatever i want for the rest of my life for one hour and so now i don't have to have it everyday. I guess all this is the long way of saying that of course, if you have a wicked balanced (northeast term) rm you will lose quicker and more efficiently. But at the same time, you will read that many of us have unbalanced rms about 50% of the time. Watch ur body and see how it reacts. Balance that with where u r psychologically and with cravings. The longer u do this, the more in tune you get with ur cravings and how in control you feel. The other night i had a low carb cocktail outside of my rm and i was very aware of my cravings the next day. Another time a month or so ago, i went wayyyy over my hour - something i am usually religious about- and had a HUGE wt gain the next day. A gd moment of truth for me to ask, what do i really want? Do i want to throw away 5 wks of commitment and a 5 lb wt loss for 30 minutes of cheating? for me the answer was no.

So that's the long story. I seem to have balanced out to every other day of a rw with just some little carbs in it with a fun meal alternating. I think that the more impatient i get with seeing 138 and 137, etc, the more i will be able to "tighten up" as Kat says. She also said it's not a magic bullet - and that is true. But i have found that at wk 8 my body chemistry is settling down quite a bit and i feel really in control and much more easily satiated. It feels great. Oh- and i started taking chromium per the Hellers second book too. I think that helped.

Let us all know how you do- what you see works for RMs and what doesn't - it helps to share it and we could learn from you. My biggest thing is that if you are committed once and for all for the long haul, you will find a way to get there. Your body and mind will eventually groove into the CAD rhythm and u will lose. But it really is an addiction- so it takes time and for me it takes some serious self honesty. But if u stay the course, it will come off. I think if folks who havent reached goal who try this some of the time could get very discouraged and frustrated. You can't do it some of the time and off and on. When you get to goal you can re-eval but for now, enjoy your rm and let me tell you this: I am still 5- 8 lbs from goal, but man i had forgotten how good it feels to be this lean. It is only 7 r 8 lbs, but it feels reallllllly good to think of myself going into the fall and actually looking forward to putting on jeans and boots. I have hope like i never had before. I know i will be svelt for next summer and will look forward to bathing suit season. Before, on WW or whenever else i got to 136 or so, 148 was always 2 wks of not paying attention away. Now all i pay attn to is that 60 minutes and how good i feel the rest of the time!!
janCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #1353
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
WOW! What a story! I too am a binger. I have learned that I cannot eat any other way than CAD. I had to come to terms with that even if I never lost a pound, I had to stick with it. I don't need to lose any more weight but I have had my share of ups and downs and binges. I still binge but at my rms. Not every night and not always balanced. I think I can probably out eat most of you on the board. I am a huge eater. I have been told that I eat like a man! LOL! Today I had this (and I might add that I don't ususally have 2cms) I have been lately and I also run. Today :

breakfast cm: 2 stalks celery with cream cheese, 2 oz. summer sausage, 2 oz. Colby cheese, coffee with 3 T. heavy cream and splenda

lunch cm: scoop of tuna with mayo, celery, pickle, 3 cups salad with ranch, diet coke

rm dinner: 2 oranges, 2 peaches, chicken sandwich, 2 large Costco cupcakes

SEEE! I told you I eat a lot. Now tomorrow I will maybe just feel like a steak with salad for a brunch cm and rm dinner sometimes is fruit and a big bowl of cereal or Peanut M&Ms.

So you see, I don't always balance. I have to not make this another diet with strict balancing rules. It just seems to come naturally some rms and sometimes I just want ice cream.

JenCAD do you have a bingish rm example and a good rm example?
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #1354
Junior LCF Member

I ate more than my husky, over-eating, 208 lb. husband tonight - and i wasnt even trying! i'd bet a RM that most of us could eat as much as you. I have to confess that i dont think too much about what i eat though. i just grab what i need at the time unless i really am craving and need to plan a good RM to quiet the inner savage beast. i think more about what i feel like eating and if i were running, i would think even less about it! that's the beauty of it, i think.

so tell me how you got to using this for maintenance. did you lose on it first? how long have you been doing CAD? do you ever gain? what's the hardest thing for you?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #1355
Major LCF Poster!

janCAD make me feel better and tell me what you had for your rm. I was up 2.5 today. Had coffee with HWC for breaky after my morning run. Lunch is chicken thigh with a big salad no measuring the ranch, diet coke. RM will be a pint of Haagen Dazs and fruit. I don't feel like much else after going to soccer games and getting home late. It still is way over 1000 calories for rm!!!! What did you have?

Did you say that sometimes you used to start your rm with a chocolate sundae? That sounds like me!!! Or sncikers for an appetizer! Are you at goal?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #1356
Major LCF Poster!

So a 2-3 pound weight gain happens!! If you read back I went on the big breakfast diet which you eat a big rm breakfast. I was full all day and also when I eat a large lunch. I like to save my rms for dinner though. That is just a head thing. Family eats and I want to too!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #1357
Junior LCF Member

dirty secrets

ok O, here is last night's meal: goat cheese and crackers and some pepper jelly, 2 generous glasses of pinot noir, a piece of salmon, brocolli, 2 ears of corn with oil and salt, AND 1.5 gluten free maple glazed donuts!!! I am about at TOM as u guys say, and cravings are bad. expected to see myself up this a.m. but nope, down 1.2 lbs at 139.3! I gained 5 freaking lbs my first month on this. I hope this is the new normal!

yes! I have started some desperate RMs with sundaes and then tried to eat salad, etc. As the Heller's say, your spinach isn't very interesting after an insulin surge like that. Luckily i LOVE veggies, so that can motivate me to wait. But sometimes i have so many through the day that i dont really care to have more. And other times, like now, when i am coming up on TOM w/ pms cravings, i am planning sundae by 10am. My favorite is an old Friendly's special from the 70's: Swiss Chocolate Almond: 1 scoop of vanilla, choc and coffee icecream in a parfait glass, covered with warm mix of marshmallow and hot fudge, sprinkled with (here's the secret- salty sweet) SALTEd roasted almonds, whipped cream and a cherry. oh my dog. to die for.

the good news for newbies listening to this nonsense is that over time, you just can't eat that much. i cant have all those scoops now. And over time, you just naturally cut down on portions. you cant help it- i don't care how good u r at overstuffing urself. your stomach pain will stop you! and as someone noted on one of the pages back, the chemistry of this insulin trick is incredible. it has to be that b/c i dont think it otherwise adds up.

O, don't worry about the 2.5 -- you ran yesterday and r prob retaining water from it as a protective mechanism. You're at goal. Join Kat and give us some tips and some maintenance experiences. You r a veteran and try not to act like one. We need you!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #1358
Major LCF Poster!

I am not by any means perfect but have experimented enough to know that high fat helps. I also know that if I ate a piece of fruit outside of a cm or rm I would binge. It triggers me to deviate and just can't. I can devour a double whopper with cheese, lg. fries and a huge dessert or two in a 15 minute span so I don't have trouble sticking to one hour!!! LOL! Maybe it will help to have menus posted so we all don't feel like horses.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #1359
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, right now I am ravenous. I ran 5 miles this morning and had coffee with 2 T. HWC and splenda. Lunch was a chicken thigh and 3 cups salad with ranch poured on. I am dangerously hungry right now!!!! Help!
Old 08-27-2014, 05:26 AM   #1360
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
Okay, right now I am ravenous. I ran 5 miles this morning and had coffee with 2 T. HWC and splenda. Lunch was a chicken thigh and 3 cups salad with ranch poured on. I am dangerously hungry right now!!!! Help!
Hang in there on the hunger!!!

I spent hour in restaurant last night waiting for airplane, so blaming the scale on salt.....but was good breakfast sausage and bacon.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #1361
Junior LCF Member

Sounds like you need to eat more if you are hungy Oriana. No prob with that on CAD. There is a problem with fruit at a CM though. You can't have fruit outside of the RW. If you are having crazy hunger or cravings, that could do it.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #1362
Bike Tart

Well, CAD is a great plan for me for maintenance! I made it through the summer without gaining anything. But I also didn't lose anything.....so I'm going to move on to a different plan that will suit me better for now. I have too much to lose to keep trying with the slow progress I make with CAD. But I will definitely come back to it in the future.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #1363
Major LCF Poster!

I'm going to stick with one meal a day (rm) with a lot of fat. It sustains me more.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #1364
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagiff View Post
Well, CAD is a great plan for me for maintenance! I made it through the summer without gaining anything. But I also didn't lose anything.....so I'm going to move on to a different plan that will suit me better for now. I have too much to lose to keep trying with the slow progress I make with CAD. But I will definitely come back to it in the future.
exactly. i do not lose weight with this plan either, unless i count calories. i know that's not how it is designed, but CAD is definitely an outline you could use, though. tweak it for your own plan. why not?

i find that i'm happier if i keep my carbs within one hour, no matter which plan i use. outside of that hour, carbs drive me nuts with cravings.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:29 AM   #1365
Bike Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
exactly. i do not lose weight with this plan either, unless i count calories. i know that's not how it is designed, but CAD is definitely an outline you could use, though. tweak it for your own plan. why not?

i find that i'm happier if i keep my carbs within one hour, no matter which plan i use. outside of that hour, carbs drive me nuts with cravings.
I'll probably still follow the basics of CAD but I definitely need to keep my carbs much lower.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:36 AM   #1366
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
I like CAD for losing slowly. At least helps when meetings and family mess with my plans. It has helped me get weaned off sugar.

Good luck to all in finding what works.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #1367
Major LCF Poster!

Where's everyone? There is a great FB board I have been reading up on and joined. Kat how's it going?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #1368
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marjorietoole
Start Date: June 2014
Hello All. Just checking in...I have been struggling with a bit of a health issue at this time and the anti-inflammatory meds are sending me for a loop! I do take at reward meal and sometimes I must at CM. Evenings, before bed are sometimes necessary too. I am so glad to know certain meds set me back. This too will pass I tell myself. But, my jeans are too tight...yuck!
marjorietoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #1369
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marjorietoole
Start Date: June 2014
What is an FB board?
marjorietoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #1370
Bike Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjorietoole View Post
What is an FB board?
Face Book has a couple if CAD/CALP groups...
Old 09-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #1371
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mayflowers
Stats: 197/196/150
WOE: CAD-Stress Eating Cure
Start Date: 4/13/14
Hi, I'm back on the CAD. It's not so much a binge thing but a insulin resistance thing. I'll only binge if I go without a meal and I get extremely hungry. I need to have some carbs even if it's just potatoes, squash, fruit, things like that. I had to give up grains. I realized they were causing me joint pain. I was tested positive to a grass allergy and all grains are grasses. Another problem is I love variety. I can have more of that with the CAD.
Mayflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #1372
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alliejon
Stats: 320.8/316.4/145
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Start Date: October 2013
Where is everyone? I need help... I have such a hard time dealing with my overweight problem. I hadn't been able to stick to CAD. I haven't been able to stick with weight watchers. Out of desperation I ordered Nutrisystem thinking maybe I should try controlled food... Well, I'm "STARVING" on nutrisystem. I like the food to my surprise, but it doesn't stay with me very long...

How do you all get going on CAD to really commit? I miss the days when I was in the CAD zone and not feeling hunger... It seems like so long ago. In fact, it was a couple of years ago. I lost 30 pounds (I think) almost effortlessly. I remember enjoying pecan pie, sherbet, chocolate, and KFC and still losing weight.

I guess it's a good thing I tried nutrisystem, because the hunger feelings have left me realizing how good I had it when I was really on CAD.

I'm tired of my own postings saying "fresh start"... I'm just venting here because I feel like I'm living a lie trying all these other programs when I believe deep down that CAD will help me cure my problem.

Anyone else ever feel like that? Like you are cheating on CAD when you know it's best? LOL - It helps to type how I feel. I have a feeling tomorrow will be two CMs and a nutrisytem meal plus dessert. I have to use up that food!

Last edited by alliejon; 09-09-2014 at 02:07 PM..
alliejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #1373
Bike Tart

Allie, do you get enough protein and fat at your CMs...asking because that should be able to hold you over to your RM.

I also don't do grains or sugar...I know you can if you're doing CAD but they still trigger me so they are out of my menus.

Hope you can find a way to make things work for you!
Old 09-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #1374
Major LCF Poster!

Try eating a high fat lunch. This worked for me. I would eat very high fat and low protein. Look up Christine Cronoa and Tim Noakes. Lower your protein . They eat butter with every meal. In order to get back on track I would lose and be satisfied having this: Black coffee for breaky, lunch was a very high fat 4 oz. piece of ribeye, med. salad with a lot of ranch, dinner was a container of high fat Haagen Dazs butter pecan ice cream. I would lose on this. Then if I lost I would have a more unbalanced type rm other than just ice cream. Fat is key.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #1375
Major LCF Poster!

Get on Facebook and the CA group. A gal there said that people should stop worrying about calories on the CAD. It never was about that. Just follow the plan and try not to let the scale bother you.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #1376
Senior LCF Member

the gal in the FB group that says that you shouldn't be counting calories admits to having 5000+ calorie CAD days. she has a very unusual system. if i had a system like that, i never would have gotten fat.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #1377
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Hi everybody, I'm glad to find this thread! I restarted CAD last week after finding the original book on my bookshelf and re-reading it. I have to start from the beginning of the thread but I'm happy to be here and look forward to getting inspiration and encouragement.
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #1378
Major LCF Poster!

Jen, the gal on FB does not claim to be eating 5000 calories. You must not be on the CAD forum. If so copy and paste it here so I can read it. I don't see that at all except for on the fruitarian site. I do say though that I eat up to 3000 calories like yesterday.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #1379
Senior LCF Member

oriana, some people can eat a lot. i cannot. that's why i have been obese most of my life, starting at age 8. that's great you can eat 3000 calories and still lose weight and/or maintain. i'm seriously jealous!

however, a couple of weeks ago faye posted she ate 5000 calories, telling me that that's why she got fat. she admits to eating a lot on a regular basis. can't cut and paste it since i bailed on that group the other day.

i get pretty frustrated with diet groups and the diet police. in both CAD groups and ADF, i get attacked for counting calories. so i don't end up staying anywhere for long. the one here seems to be a little more tolerant toward tweaking. yes, CAD is not designed for counting calories, but the fact of the matter is, we're all different AND since 95-98% of dieters regain their lost weight, it's obvious that diet programs aren't 100% perfect. why can't people be more open to tweaking? isn't it better to tweak than to quit CAD (or ADF or any other program) altogether?

CAD and ADF are my very favorite methods. i combined the two for a miraculous weight loss journey of my own. thankfully my family is behind me 100%. so i don't pine about the lack of support too awfully much.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 09-12-2014 at 04:04 PM..
Old 09-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #1380
Senior LCF Member

say, i just tried the low carb pancake recipe i found on another site. wow! it was good! neat idea for a CM.

2 oz. cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 t. cinnamon
stevia

put into a blender. allow to rest for 2 min. to calm bubbles. makes 4 pancakes.

i poured some into my skillet, and it just didn't look like the picture, so in frustration, i poured the whole thing into my skillet, figuring i'd end up just feeding the slop to my chickens.

it ended up looking weird, but i folded it onto my plate, putting on some butter, pouring the sugar free syrup. wow. tasted so much like french toast. i licked the plate. gonna make this again!