Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #1261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by janCAD View Post
Kat, thanks sooooooo much for this response. I am sure have been over doing it and when i wrote my first 2 posts last night, i ended by saying that i really can't complain b/c i have spent the last month eating more goodies than i have eaten in 5 yrs during my RWs -- and still lost 5 lbs. So who the hell am i to complain?!? That said, i realized that i was dealing with the psychological aspect of the addiction and needing to let myself go hogwild (literally) there for a while. I find myself saying "I don't eat this way. Sugar kills my joints and digestion. I'm ready to stop being so bad." And little by little, i am letting the bad stuff go and looking forward to quinoa and avacado and fruit and a good cocktail. That is, until we have guests and make a doce de lecce tiramisu! (Thank God for RWs or i'd be eating it 24/7).

Kat, what is your goal at which you maintain? How much did you lose over what period of time? I was born more than 110 lbs - yes in fact, by the time i was 12 i weighed 121 lbs(but i promise not to judge you). We all feel good in our own skin at different wts and thats very personal. But u look amazing in your pic if that's any consolation.

Last Q and i promise not to bother you anymore (today). When you say, "tighten up" on the RWs, can you be more specific? Do you mean portions? Sweets? making sure you have the salad and low carb veggie? Do you exercise?
The thought of losing 3 lbs a week right now is very enticing and i may be ready to give up a lot to make that happen...

Thanks again Kat and all !!!
One thing I will say about CAD is that the slow loss really gave me the time to learn the right way to eat for me. Every single time I'd lost weight quickly before (usually on Atkins), I would always gain it right back. Losing it slowly gave me a chance to figure out what works for my body and what makes me retain water (beans, nuts, Mexian food of all kinds for me). Overall, I feel much more knowledgeable about what works for my body now.

I was never able to get to 110 except on CAD. My goal when I started losing on CAD was 120! Once I reached 120, it was so easy that I just kept right on going and settled comfortably around 107/108 lbs. Just as a side note, I am barely over 5 feet tall, and I start to look pretty hefty at around 130 lbs--that's just my build. According to BMI, I am overweight if I go over 132 lbs, and I can definitely start to see it in the mirror around there. I was in the mid-150s when I started losing, and I lost the first 20 pounds or so on Atkins and then eventually switched over to CAD as I got closer to my goal. Overall, I've lost almost 50 lbs. That's not a gigantic amount, I realize, but to be maintaining now for going on half a year feels amazing. I've never maintained a loss for this long before.

When I said "tighten" up, I meant that I started focusing on what I really wanted to eat at my RM meals, savory or sweet? I thought that perhaps I was experiencing slow loss because I was eating both bread and sweets at every RM. I was also eating dinner RMs, and I found that switching to lunch RMs made a huge difference for me. I made a rule for myself that I could either have a savory carb or a sweet carb at the RM, but not both. Now that I'm maintaining, I have both almost every day, but it was really helpful for me to choose and figure out exactly what I was really craving at those RMs.

Last edited by KatMck; 07-24-2014 at 12:07 PM..
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #1262
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: janCAD
Stats: 147/138.1/132
WOE: CAD diet
Start Date: 6/26/14
Wow Kat!

OMG, i am sure that i sound like a crazy groupie but i have never talked to someone who kept 50 lbs off for 6 months without feeling like they would gain it back by glimpsing at food. I know some friends have lost and gained and lost and gained the same 25-40 lbs on WW. I felt like i was constantly about to lose control on that plan.

You can't imagine what it is like to hear your story. I am so appreciative of your sharing- it will help me a ton when i get weary of this. I think there is still a part of me that thinks it isn't possible because i am not starving or running 5 miles a day. I absolutely cannot imagine for all the tea in China, what it would be like to get to 130 lbs (i am 5' 5 1/2") for the first time since junior high and think, "hey, i may as well go to 120!" It will be a party RM that day let me tell ya. And you guys would be the first to hear about it!

That said, let me say congratulations. I mean it. There is always sacrifice, no matter how one loses - and it takes commitment and focus and perseverance. You should be so proud and i am so glad you are enjoying yourself.

I too recently moved my RMs to midday and it has made a big difference as well. Sometimes i don't really need a CM at night but if i do it is light and i can sleep better, etc. But i am old and acid stomach is a problem i have to beware of so it keeps me in line. I also found that if i eat 2 CM snacks (if i want them) i seem to lose better. Not sure what that is about - perhaps metabolism. But i stopped fighting it b/c the days i fought it, i didn't lose.

It's very true and validating to hear you share that the slow loss helps concretize the eating habits and forces you to watch closely, stay vigilant and be self aware. I was afraid of the small CMs i was having b/c i didnt fall exactly in the category that the first book said - that is, losing more than 1% and needing to increase calories. But my hunger (not cravings) drove me to it and intuitively, it seems to be working.

I start my 5th week today and feel so lucky to be 5lbs, albeit, 5 slow ones, down and enjoying good food, feeling in control and hearing from all of you. Thank you so much for being so open. It is deeply appreciated. I hope i can be a similar support to folks down the line.
janCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #1263
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marjorietoole
Start Date: June 2014
I too have been celebrating summer a bit too much. I find I like a glass of wine now and then. Unfortunately it is not always reward meal times. I gained 2.2 this week. Oh well, life happens. On with it! I feel that I finally found something after all these years of struggling with diets that is comfortable for me. How are things going for you on CAD?
marjorietoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #1264
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for your input. I too just recently stared the CAD. I enjoy reading your posts. Thank you.

Last edited by marjorietoole; 07-24-2014 at 05:15 PM..
Old 07-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #1265
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karegado View Post
Still here, still stalled at 151.6 (both scales confirm) for almost two weeks now
Lost another 1/4 inch but no pounds. My clothes are still fitting looser so I guess I should be happy I'm not seeing a gain. I love being able to eat without depriving myself and I am not giving up.
I say don't worry about the scale. If you feel good and your clothes are fitting better, the scale (that absolutely dreadful piece of equipment!) will eventually catch up. Good luck. Stay the course.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:25 AM   #1266
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tara1970
Stats: 176/158/Happy@140/Ideal@128
WOE: CAD/One Meal A Day/Gluten Free
Quote:
Kat - just reread your post and you said 0.3/wk -- not 3 lbs/wk! Hahahaha.
Guess I'm still looking for a quick fix!
I don't know if this is any help but I'm another ¾ inch down on my starting waist measurement, so that's a significant 4¼ inches since 1st of June, and rings, watchstrap etc showing some progress, I have keeper rings for some (I like vintage jewellery and some of my rings can't be adjusted) and recently had to move to the next size down.

Quote:
I think after 4 wks (today) i am just really starting to deal with the possibility that, as you said, i could do this for a long time and be very happy since i dont have obsessive thoughts and feel out of control. I think too, that it took some real soul searching to look at the word addict and come to terms with that reality over my past history.
Me too!!!! I started this on 1st June and look at the first 6 weeks as induction (of a non-atkins type), getting used to what works for a new way of life, what doesn't, how to handle long days when I don't eat after my midday RM, a million other things.

Also getting used to the idea that at first, anything that i 'just fancied' outside my RM was crappy addictive carbs trying to grab a handhold!!

But fast weightloss isn't necessarily good even though it feels it at the time, I can do a 1100cal/day diet, lose two and a half or more pounds a week, but go completely crazy, DREAD maintenance because I know it's not going to be any different, feel starved 24/7 and actually obsessed about food/weight/diet/food/weight/diet.... aaaaarrrghh!

This time with CAD I got off to a slow-ish start, the scales have been a bit bumpy and I've fine-tuned my cals & carbs recently, but overall progress has been in the right direction, I've never once in almost two months wanted to actually come off plan to have a mini binge or 'treat myself' so I can handle the idea of living like this for the rest of my life, because if maintenance's the same as this stage then Im really okay with that.

JustJo on here inspires me and I realised that this works because I too like to be full after Ive eaten, not have this same amount of food over 3 different measly meals.

That's just the way i'm doing this, 1 meal a day and no CMs (sometimes have a bite of cheddar or some cold chicken or tinned tuna) but mainly, one meal a day, within 50 minutes (just my own tweak, probably unecessary) and the rest of the day nice hot herbal teas, water or black tea. Obviously that's not the only way to do CAD but knowing what your preferences are is helpful.

The only 'advice' I have is, double-double check your carbs at CMs, things like scallions are much higher in carbs than lettuce or celery, and watch your dairy, some cheeses have 2 - 4g carbs/100g, and if you're also choosing slightly higher carb veg as well you could be above 10g for that CM before you know it.

Google's really good, if you type 'foodname + carbs' it usually gives you a result right on the top of the page, and don't forget to choose carefully because a lot of dairy products are offered almost by default in the lower-fat and therefore higher-carb versions.

If you can wean your tastebuds onto liking black tea, like darjeeling or Earl Grey, that's saved me because they're filling and comforting and don't need milk.

Hope that helps, I'm still figuring some of this out but i have a really good cal/fat/carb counter book and that's helped me a lot.

Im so happy at that ¾ inch loss in one week...
Tara1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 AM   #1267
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara1970 View Post
I don't know if this is any help but I'm another ¾ inch down on my starting waist measurement, so that's a significant 4¼ inches since 1st of June, and rings, watchstrap etc showing some progress,
JustJo on here inspires me and I realised that this works because I too like to be full after Ive eaten, not have this same amount of food over 3 different measly meals.

That's just the way i'm doing this, 1 meal a day and no CMs (sometimes have a bite of cheddar or some cold chicken or tinned tuna) but mainly, one meal a day, within 50 minutes (just my own tweak, probably unecessary) and the rest of the day nice hot herbal teas, water or black tea. Obviously that's not the only way to do CAD but knowing what your preferences are is helpful.

The only 'advice' I have is, double-double check your carbs at CMs, things like scallions are much higher in carbs than lettuce or celery, and watch your dairy, some cheeses have 2 - 4g carbs/100g, and if you're also choosing slightly higher carb veg as well you could be above 10g for that CM before you know it.

Hope that helps, I'm still figuring some of this out but i have a really good cal/fat/carb counter book and that's helped me a lot.

Im so happy at that ¾ inch loss in one week...

Tara, Nice work on inches lost and vigiliant carb checking. Your input has helped me be more vigilant on dairy and veggie carb counts - yes, google rocks in that way. I have been on it alot.

Thanks too for pointing out the need for inches assessment. I may be focusing on the scale a bit too much. I was able to wear a pair of capris yesterday that were much more comfortable thank last month and that felt good. A few times a week, i will spend 19 minutes in the morning after weighing myself to try on favorite clothes that required a 5-10 lb loss. It's a good ritual for boosting my commitment. I've been a weight struggler my whole life and gave up years ago, holding onto clothes that dont fit. But there are one or 2 things i bought recently knowing that i just could't go on at that weight.

The only suggestion i have, if i may, is to be a little less low carb veggie phobic. The low carb greens at CM's (even if you just snack on celery or arugula, etc.) are good for your gut and your hydration. I know the folk who have been hard core Atkins dieters have a hard time transitioning to this but i'm a nurse so i cant help but worry about your health and the long term sustainability of one meal a day.

That said, you are absolutely right. YOu have to know your own preferences. So take if for what it's worth.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:19 AM   #1268
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjorietoole View Post
I say don't worry about the scale. If you feel good and your clothes are fitting better, the scale (that absolutely dreadful piece of equipment!) will eventually catch up. Good luck. Stay the course.
I second that!! Congrats on the inches lost and don't worry about the rest.
WOndering if you are doing your daily weights and averaging them ? If i get to concerned with the daily wt. it is deadly. Even the weekly. Watch the long term effects (like your inches) and relish how wonderful it is to be able to have a brownie or rice and beans or ice cream or whatever it is that makes you happy every damn DAY. :O) !!! Stay the course and reread some of the chapters that address the plateaus. They may inspire you to see something you hadn't before.

Lastly, remember that 2 wks ins't a long time for a plateau. Sempra fi!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:35 AM   #1269
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I too have been celebrating summer a bit too much. I find I like a glass of wine now and then. Unfortunately it is not always reward meal times. I gained 2.2 this week. Oh well, life happens. On with it! I feel that I finally found something after all these years of struggling with diets that is comfortable for me. How are things going for you on CAD?
I thnk you said it well - "on with it!". Don't look back, just learn moving fwd. Ah yes, wine, the beloved drink of the goddesses. . We are big wine drinkers and summer, of course, is vacation time where indulging more days than not can be a risk. So this is what i have been doing:

1. I remember how many times i have said in the past 10 months, "I just have to drink less wine if i want to lose this weight!" It reminds me that if i were doing another diet to lose weight, by amount would have to come down a bit.
2. I drink seltzer water with lime until the meal is just about to be served or after the first bite. Then the clock starts ticking. If i am at home, i can get a few glasses in in that hour - though surprisingly, i don't seem to need/want them as much. If i am out, i have learned to order a second drink as soon as they ask rahter than waiting until i am "ready". Bartenders have a lot to do a and guzzling booze in your last 3 mins of RW is not elegant or pleasant.
3. On the rare occasion that i want a drink outside of RW, i make sure it is during the CM and a very very low carb choice. I'm not a big hard liquor drinker but there are a few that can be nice to sip straight or with water or lime if you just need to relax. WOuld def not make a habit of it though.
4. Try to remember that your insulin levels wills scream havoc if you drink on an empty stomach and weigh the cost/benefits to yourself and your wt loss timeline. You may be willing to sacrifice 2 lbs now at the height of the season and not care until September. Or you make find that it is not worth it for your goals.
5. Get into party mode completely sober. When others are drinking, we can be just as social, funny, etc. If they give you crap, say things like. - "Oh, I'llc atch up with you - i just need to hydrate first". Or, "Oh, don't worry, i'll have one soon - i'm just trying to pace myslef.". Or, "Yeah, i can't wait to join you- i just need to get something in my stomach first." - then see if anyone wants cheese and (not for you) crackers - or order a low carb appetizer if you are out. The damage you do eating a CM with one glass of alcohol within in an hour will be less than if you drink it alone.

Now we can wait until Tara hops on and blasts us for even THINKING about any of this one month in!! and she would be absolutely right since if we are not committed at this point. we should probably be asking ourselves it we are committed at all.

So back now to "On with it!"
Old 07-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #1270
Senior LCF Member

^^ lol!!!! Too true...

Quote:
The only suggestion i have, if i may, is to be a little less low carb veggie phobic. The low carb greens at CM's (even if you just snack on celery or arugula, etc.) are good for your gut and your hydration. I know the folk who have been hard core Atkins dieters have a hard time transitioning to this but i'm a nurse so i cant help but worry about your health and the long term sustainability of one meal a day.
Oh bless you for actually worrying about me, that's so sweet!

I think I'm cool there thanks, and I never did atkins myself (did <80g carbs and <50g) and easily eat almost 1 pound of veggies on an average day - 100 - 150g each of cauli & broccoli mashed with butter, then another 150g of either carrots, green beans (sometimes both) if I have chicken, or two fried onions and lots of grilled tomatoes with beef... I L.O.V.E. veg!!

My RMs are usually meat and 3 - 4 veg with some gravy, and dessert is a good quality ice-cream with 1 - 2 portions of fruit (berry coulis, sometimes also an apple and cheddar), followed by lattes made with 300ml whole milk, and my main carb-cuts have been cereals, which I barely ever eat, and potatoes are a rare event but I do have them when I want 'em.

Early on I tried having <20g carbs on one or two days a week, but long-term they made no difference so unless I'm craving the tuna melt (with a 3-veg salad + 20g raw onion) I don't bother with that, it was very heavy and greasy and almost 1500cals for very little volume of food. And I'm 'regular' if you know what I mean so no worries there!

I usually aim to get 'five a day' which I know is a made-up number but it's a handy guideline and makes my skin look healthier.

When I did <50g carbs, I missed onions first and foremost, I like them fried, then red fruit, and fresh berries are SO expensive that coulis is my current choice, then milk in coffee, and finally chocolate, so this WOE works because I can have all of those things every day, stay <1600cal and <150g carbs... I may tweak things later on but I love that one really good meal and no worries later on about what I have 'left' to eat in terms of cals & carbs.

I do eat a LOT of food in that meal, in terms of bulk, but in the past I'd have the same amount spread out over 2 or 3 meals and be forever hungry, so it's mainly the freuqancy that's changed, and I'm feeling good on it - but as ever, you're wise to say, I'll keep a wary eye for any problems. I'm just releved to have found a WOE that doesn't feel like a prison sentence though!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #1271
Junior LCF Member

I could just never do all that counting... bless your heart. That's partly why i love this plan.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #1272
Junior LCF Member

KatMck

Thank you for all your wealth of info. I loved your list of veges allowed on the CM list. Do you know? Is spaghetti squash a summer squash? Also, do you happen to know if bockchoy (I am sure I spelled that incorrectly) is allowed at CM? I believe it is in the cabbage family (Asian).

Much appreciated!
Old 07-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #1273
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I thnk you said it well - "on with it!". Don't look back, just learn moving fwd. Ah yes, wine, the beloved drink of the goddesses. . We are big wine drinkers and summer, of course, is vacation time where indulging more days than not can be a risk. So this is what i have been doing:

1. I remember how many times i have said in the past 10 months, "I just have to drink less wine if i want to lose this weight!" It reminds me that if i were doing another diet to lose weight, by amount would have to come down a bit.
2. I drink seltzer water with lime until the meal is just about to be served or after the first bite. Then the clock starts ticking. If i am at home, i can get a few glasses in in that hour - though surprisingly, i don't seem to need/want them as much. If i am out, i have learned to order a second drink as soon as they ask rahter than waiting until i am "ready". Bartenders have a lot to do a and guzzling booze in your last 3 mins of RW is not elegant or pleasant.
3. On the rare occasion that i want a drink outside of RW, i make sure it is during the CM and a very very low carb choice. I'm not a big hard liquor drinker but there are a few that can be nice to sip straight or with water or lime if you just need to relax. WOuld def not make a habit of it though.
4. Try to remember that your insulin levels wills scream havoc if you drink on an empty stomach and weigh the cost/benefits to yourself and your wt loss timeline. You may be willing to sacrifice 2 lbs now at the height of the season and not care until September. Or you make find that it is not worth it for your goals.
5. Get into party mode completely sober. When others are drinking, we can be just as social, funny, etc. If they give you crap, say things like. - "Oh, I'llc atch up with you - i just need to hydrate first". Or, "Oh, don't worry, i'll have one soon - i'm just trying to pace myslef.". Or, "Yeah, i can't wait to join you- i just need to get something in my stomach first." - then see if anyone wants cheese and (not for you) crackers - or order a low carb appetizer if you are out. The damage you do eating a CM with one glass of alcohol within in an hour will be less than if you drink it alone.

Now we can wait until Tara hops on and blasts us for even THINKING about any of this one month in!! and she would be absolutely right since if we are not committed at this point. we should probably be asking ourselves it we are committed at all.

So back now to "On with it!"
You are funny! I enjoyed your message. You also taught me something new...having my wine with a CM if I feel I must rather than on an empty stomach. Makes perfect sense. Keeps the insulin from over elevating. Genius!
Old 07-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #1274
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
One thing I will say about CAD is that the slow loss really gave me the time to learn the right way to eat for me. Every single time I'd lost weight quickly before (usually on Atkins), I would always gain it right back. Losing it slowly gave me a chance to figure out what works for my body and what makes me retain water (beans, nuts, Mexian food of all kinds for me). Overall, I feel much more knowledgeable about what works for my body now.

I was never able to get to 110 except on CAD. My goal when I started losing on CAD was 120! Once I reached 120, it was so easy that I just kept right on going and settled comfortably around 107/108 lbs. Just as a side note, I am barely over 5 feet tall, and I start to look pretty hefty at around 130 lbs--that's just my build. According to BMI, I am overweight if I go over 132 lbs, and I can definitely start to see it in the mirror around there. I was in the mid-150s when I started losing, and I lost the first 20 pounds or so on Atkins and then eventually switched over to CAD as I got closer to my goal. Overall, I've lost almost 50 lbs. That's not a gigantic amount, I realize, but to be maintaining now for going on half a year feels amazing. I've never maintained a loss for this long before.

When I said "tighten" up, I meant that I started focusing on what I really wanted to eat at my RM meals, savory or sweet? I thought that perhaps I was experiencing slow loss because I was eating both bread and sweets at every RM. I was also eating dinner RMs, and I found that switching to lunch RMs made a huge difference for me. I made a rule for myself that I could either have a savory carb or a sweet carb at the RM, but not both. Now that I'm maintaining, I have both almost every day, but it was really helpful for me to choose and figure out exactly what I was really craving at those RMs.
Thank you Kat for sharing your story. I love that as road blocks arrived, you saw them through. You stopped and thought about how you could personalize the plan to fit your needs. I just love that. A good reminder to me...all is not black or white or in the book. Any program must be personalized to fit our individual needs to get the results. Patience doesn't hurt either. Thank you
Old 07-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #1275
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
You are funny! I enjoyed your message. You also taught me something new...having my wine with a CM if I feel I must rather than on an empty stomach. Makes perfect sense. Keeps the insulin from over elevating. Genius!
I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression. I am committed. I just had a rough couple of days as I was out of town. Please Tara, don't blast me!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #1276
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression. I am committed. I just had a rough couple of days as I was out of town. Please Tara, don't blast me!

LOL ! - She keeps us honest and makes us look closely at our commitment to this. I think Kat said it absolutely perfectly when she said that CAD is not a magic bullet. It's weight loss afterall and we still should expect to work at it. Albeit, a very very nice way to lose weight and most of all, - very most of all, feel normal. No matter what Tara says when she gets a chance, we do have to really, really see that wine as a reward meal thing only. But if you absolutely can't finagle not having a drink at a second meal that day, as a very last resort, you could try this. And only one glass (b/c there are 4-6 gm in each 5 oz. glass) and CMs shouldn't have mre than 4 gms of carbs. Personally, i would drink one hard drink with trace gms at that meal.

The only time i ever did this was one day i had to go to a funeral and took a few hrs off of work to attend the luncheon afterwards. The meal was lovely so even though i could have done a CM - and wasnt gonna drink in the middle of my work day,) I chose it as my RW - also b/c like Kat, i find that i lose more and get hungrier early in the day. Anyway, i get home that night and for some reason really feel like i need to relax (duuhhhaah - maybe cuz i was at a funeral?!). SO i had a neat silver Patron (trace carbs) with a delicious burger and salad. Sooooo satisfying and yes, slept very well.

NOW, i will never make a habit of it and I don't know if it slowed my loss. B/c as Tara pointed out, this isn't a low carb diet. Its an addicts diet. So the major Q we need to determine also is "does wine trigger me?". Thak God, the tequilla didnn't. I'll tell ya what, if you do this diet well for 4-10 days and still feel like you need to have wine more than that RW, your cravings haven't gone and you need to reign in. Not to be tough on you but back that commitment thing... and really out of concern that you may never feel that freedom that we are all feeling when the cravings lift and the sense of control is back. Thats the ticket to getting where Kat has gone and staying there for a life time.

Learning from each other here is a major bennie for my road so i appreciate and take in what each of you says. And Marj you too. So if you try this regularly, let me know how it goes. Even if you gain. We need to learn from each others' mistakes as well.

One last anecdote and then off to chores. It may hale you Marj. So i am Catholic and as a kid i always fasted diligently during the 40 days of lent. As i grew into a car addicted teen, that discipline waned btwn carb binges at midnight on Saturday with strict sweets restrictions M-Sat. (Liberals like me say you can break the fast on Sunday. Really, i was just jonesin'...) So now that i am an adult, health conscious and trying to figure out what drives some recent health/endocrine/energy issues, i read a lot about adrenal health, candida overgrowth, leaky gut syndrome, supplements, gluten - yadayada. But I have no commitment left in me, except, yes, at lent. It's the way i am programed. And well, i am sure that our Creator cares a lot about my/our health and doesnt mind me using her/him as an excuse once a year to get back on track.

So, short story even longer, i give up sweets (predictable), booze (daring), dairy (why not) and any decaf products or artificially sweetened products (have been generally decaf for 20 yrs and think sweeters arent good for you) for 40+ days of lent.

The 4th day comes and i would give my R arm for a warm cup of decaf tea with milk. The second week comes and i would give my spleen for a bottle of red on the couch at night with owners privs on the clicker. Week 3 comes and i feel pretty damn good eating GF oats and fruit at bf, a typical salad of sorts for lunch etc. But the wine, the wine the wine.... i just never really shook the desire for wine every once in a while (like 2 eves a week). i finally said to my husband, "i must have really needed to give this up cuz i have never ever had such a hard time at lent with something! I must be an alchy!"

Then, 6-7 days int the CAD, no cravings. None. Do i look forward to wine or cocktails at RW often? Sure. I look fwd to icecream, GF brownies, PB&J and any other decadent carb i can shove down my throat in an hour too! Cuz im a damn carb addict! But no, i don't crave the wine like i did at lent. And that Marjorietoole is the beauty of that!

Let us know how you do!! I have posted enough for a year!! - i need to shut up now!!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #1277
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
KatMck

Thank you for all your wealth of info. I loved your list of veges allowed on the CM list. Do you know? Is spaghetti squash a summer squash? Also, do you happen to know if bockchoy (I am sure I spelled that incorrectly) is allowed at CM? I believe it is in the cabbage family (Asian).

Much appreciated!
Bock choy has only 1.5 in a cup so i would guess that Kat and Tara would say Y to that b/c it is so under 4gm.
Spag squash has 7 gm per cup so in case it may trigger you, i would guess no.
The book was published so long ago it does make it hard to know where some newer trendier foods fit...
Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #1278
Senior LCF Member

I appear to have acquired 'a name' oh dear - I'm just aware of my own past experiences when i treated any diet plan as a game where I could argue against it as though there was a referee there watching, who'd award results provided I made a convincing case for WHY it was okay for me to break some rule or other, it doesn't work like that and the only person who loses out on such mental shenanigans is YOU, your hopes, your dreams. I don't!

And yes some people might find a bit of extra veg or some type of veg isn't a problem for them, but is this really about exploring and ruling out every loophole before you can commit?

Your results will be bound by the laws of physics and biology, not rhetoric and wishful thinking...

This is the one diet plan that works where you get to eat pretty much absolutely whatever type of food you like, in reasonable amounts, every single day. And certainly the types of extra veg that you might otherwise want to add to your CMs.

Trying to add extras to the list of CM foods is stark craziness IMO if you're still in the weightloss phases of CAD though, it's the same old patterns we've all been through which is why we're here - we cannot judge how much food to eat to acquire and maintain our desired body weight, especially when carbohydrates are involved, and if we can judge it intellectually we still CONSISTANTLY let other internal forces over-ride our best judgement.

And we often find our appetites are backed up by seemingly rational mental arguments to say it was okay to over-eat today, JUST today, because yadda yadda, I mean i've been there done that.

But really that's just a way of saying 'I don't want to DO this, I want to THINK about doing it at some never-to-be-defined date when my life is absolutely perfect and nothing is on my mind, but in the moment of choice I won't, actually, DO this at all.'

Listening to those same little voices to add some broccoli or a whole onion, or carrots or whatever to a CM BEFORE you've reached goal, I don't mean to be rude but who wins out there?

I carry a folder for my shopping lists with a reminder of essentials, coupons etc on the opposite side. Across the top of the main page I have a quote that I maybe even found on here, or somewhere online months ago, it says 'Have some integrity in the moment of choice.'

It was for when I was on a gram-limited plan, so certain things just couldn't go into my trolley, but it applies to all of us whether that moment of choice is in the supermarket or composing a CM, and listening to the old addictive tune that says every meal has to hit the spot, be perfectly tasty and filling, and leave absolutely no desire unquenched.

'Taming the Feast Beast' by Lois Trimpey describes that, she's an addiction specialist and former food addict and her discovery is that those of us with food addiction on any level do expect almost every meal or snack to be almost ecstatically mind-blowingly delicious, filling, etc and we keep eating until something 'hits the spot.'

But food's not meant to be about chasing a high, especially on this plan when you can have what you crave within limits.

The CM option in the book make for a healthy balanced meal, adding carbs to get that 'WoooHooo! That was EXCELLENT!' is the addiction ruling you.

Now, see what you gone done? Drawn out the part of me that does act like you think.

But remember my butt won't be the one that grows and grows if you start adding french fries to your CMs, and snacking on candy in between meals!

Progress - another quarter inch down on my waist, my face is looking a bit thinner too, staying off the scales especially because yesterday I had a stir-fry loaded with soy sauce (the wheat-free one) and drank loads of water and green teas, but I'm looking thinner and my usual slobbing-round-the-house trousers are almost awkwardly loose. Plus, and this is the biggie, ZERO internal food-whining for things, zero obsessing about food, weight, diet, etc, and that counts for a lot!

~*~*~*~*~

Edit to say I found the source of that phrase 'integrity in the moment of choice' - it's a Steve Pavlina article and it's really good! Not sure what the links are but searching that term + pavlina should turn it up in nthe first few results.

Last edited by Tara1970; 07-28-2014 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: add a reference
Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #1279
Junior LCF Member

Go Tara!

Atta Girl ! - there's the inspirational voice of reason we know and love.
Everything you say is true and eloquent. Don't apologize.

So much of this is a head struggle and i greatly appreciate the insight you bring to the table. It aslo keeps me from being the only one who says the hard stuff.

I suggest that Marj and me get Kat to tell us all the little things we will be able to do at goal wt. so we can live vicariously. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like Kat drinks wine (esp at 11 am)

So big congrats on the progress, Tara!!!! Baggy pants and 1/4 inch!! that's huge and you should be psyched, proud and feeling well on your way. Thanks for sharing that. I may start measuring so the scale isn't such a focus. I have terrible wt gain at TOM - like never before - and horrific cravings. So the scale isn't a friend right now...

Last but not least, i am looking for help in the area of the RW. I am overeating during that meal and am all taken up with my opportunity to eat goodies that i wouldn't have eater in this amount 2 months ago before i started. It feels kind of yucky. Wondering if anyone else is struggling similarly or has any insight advice...

Have a great day-
ty!!

PS - LOVE the quote!
PSS: In the spirit of accurate info, i wanted to note for all's sake that broccoli is listed as a safe carb in the Heller's 2nd book CALD - with asterisk warnings to assess for trigger activity.

Last edited by janCAD; 07-29-2014 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Broccoli
Old 07-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #1280
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Atta Girl ! - there's the inspirational voice of reason we know and love.
Everything you say is true and eloquent. Don't apologize.

So much of this is a head struggle and i greatly appreciate the insight you bring to the table. It aslo keeps me from being the only one who says the hard stuff.

I suggest that Marj and me get Kat to tell us all the little things we will be able to do at goal wt. so we can live vicariously. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like Kat drinks wine (esp at 11 am)

So big congrats on the progress, Tara!!!! Baggy pants and 1/4 inch!! that's huge and you should be psyched, proud and feeling well on your way. Thanks for sharing that. I may start measuring so the scale isn't such a focus. I have terrible wt gain at TOM - like never before - and horrific cravings. So the scale isn't a friend right now...

Last but not least, i am looking for help in the area of the RW. I am overeating during that meal and am all taken up with my opportunity to eat goodies that i wouldn't have eater in this amount 2 months ago before i started. It feels kind of yucky. Wondering if anyone else is struggling similarly or has any insight advice...

Have a great day-
ty!!

PS - LOVE the quote!
PSS: In the spirit of accurate info, i wanted to note for all's sake that broccoli is listed as a safe carb in the Heller's 2nd book CALD - with asterisk warnings to assess for trigger activity.
Not only am I a drinker, but I am a day drinker as well! I can only drink 1-2 drinks before I am loopy since losing weight, which is probably one reason I'm finding it relatively easy to maintain. I used to be able to drink 5 or 6 liquor drinks without getting too crazy. Red wine isn't so bad carb-wise, and I tend to be a whiskey drinker anyway, although I always have room for a few craft beers (hefeweizen and saison, mmmm!). I've actually been trying to switch over to wine lately because liquor gets to me so quickly now.

I would have days when I was losing where I would drink during the day as well, but I tried to keep those days to a minimum. What I would do is drink tequila rickeys or bourbon rickeys (liquor + club soda + lime) and then I'd either do a low carb day that day or I would just watch myself for a couple of days afterwards. Now that I'm maintaining, I just try to stick to the plan at least 80% of the time and then have a free for all on weekends. I've also switched from CALP to CAD once I started maintaining. I have to say that sticking to the plan has never been this much fun in my life! Yesterday I had pulled chicken tacos and cilantro-lime rice followed by homemade sopapilla. For my CM, I had leftover roast beef and a bit of cheese.

I weighed in at 108.4 today, so still up from my usual of 107.8. The damage wasn't as bad as I'd thought previously, but I'm still going to watch it until Saturday, when my sister's family and my parents will be visiting for a week.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #1281
Junior LCF Member

Hi All. Great to find all your inpit. I am doing well. Back on track. I find it much easier not eating out so much. It is always tricky when someone else prepares my meals. I have been back on my routine several days now and I feel so much better - cravings gone! I have been struggling with a little pain - always try to wait to reward meals to take IB or Tylenol. Sometimes, it is tough, so I take with CM. I do see it slows my weight loss. OK for now. It passes. For now, I will do what I have to do. This too shall pass. I find if I want wine, I just wait for my RM. No big deal. A big huge hug to all of you for sharing! Kat, thanks for the info on Bok Choy.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #1282
Junior LCF Member

Quick Q

Lovely Ladies,
Thanks for your posts! Marj, so glad you are feeling back on track and sorry about your pain.
Kat, so glad you are a booze hound (sorry, a Northeastern term that my husband and i joke about) like us. I so appreciate your input, advice and experience. Congrats on keeping at 108!! Very impressive and you continue to be my inspiration.

I leave for vacation tomorrow and will be taking my scale with me. I don't want to lose the momentum. My husband thinks i'm a freak but bathing suits don't lie. I hope to lose 2 more lbs over the next 12 days. I am sure tequila and bourbon rickeys will come in very handy!

One quick Q based on your sharing Kat. You said you do CAD vs CALD - not a distinction i know how to make. I thought the books were almost identical in content with a twist toward healthier carb choices, supplement and more salad in CALD. Can you clue me in? thanks so much! I will keep you all in mind as i navigate the bars and will hop on for inspiration and accountability every few days.

Sempra Fi
Old 07-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #1283
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Lovely Ladies,
Thanks for your posts! Marj, so glad you are feeling back on track and sorry about your pain.
Kat, so glad you are a booze hound (sorry, a Northeastern term that my husband and i joke about) like us. I so appreciate your input, advice and experience. Congrats on keeping at 108!! Very impressive and you continue to be my inspiration.

I leave for vacation tomorrow and will be taking my scale with me. I don't want to lose the momentum. My husband thinks i'm a freak but bathing suits don't lie. I hope to lose 2 more lbs over the next 12 days. I am sure tequila and bourbon rickeys will come in very handy!

One quick Q based on your sharing Kat. You said you do CAD vs CALD - not a distinction i know how to make. I thought the books were almost identical in content with a twist toward healthier carb choices, supplement and more salad in CALD. Can you clue me in? thanks so much! I will keep you all in mind as i navigate the bars and will hop on for inspiration and accountability every few days.

Sempra Fi
Thanks, janCAD. I have to say I don't think I could have lost the weight without the support of people on this board, especially MakeItWork and Oriana. They know way more about the principles of CAD than I do!

As far as I have read, the difference between CAD and CALP is that CAD is one hour of a carb free for all, whereas CALP is more measured. After the book was released, people began complaining that they weren't losing. The Hellers studied the issue and realized that people were able to overeat enough in that one hour on CAD to stop losing. They tweaked the diet and came up with CALP, where you add a salad to each meal and then are supposed to divide your plate into thirds--one third protein/fat, one third veggie, and one third carb. You can go back for as many servings as you like within the hour, but you are supposed to take equal portions of all three with each serving (i.e. equal meat, veggies, and carbs). When I found that I wasn't losing very quickly on CAD, I switched over to CALP. I am small but I am also hispanic, and I can do a lot of damage in an hour.

Once I started maintaining, I switched back over to CAD. It bumped my calories up, but I needed to stop eating at a loss in calories anyway. I found that I just don't eat as much anymore, and I'm sure it's partly psychological. When I know I can always have it tomorrow, it's much easier to wait!
Old 07-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #1284
Junior LCF Member

check out pp. 120 CAD

Kat,
Thanks for this clarification.
So check out pp. 120-121 in CAD. My copy says print 1993, copyright, 1991. I remember it b/c not only did i study the book, - nearly memorize it, - i so don't want to eat all those veggies at my RW. After 5 wks, i am just starting to grapple with my overeating at those meals. The chromium is helping a lot.

So that is why i didn't think CALD was much different. (I tried to scan in an image of the pages but the pic won't paste...)

Love the new pic in the bikini! I was born larger than that. I promise the group that if i reach 130 by the time the leaves fall in New England, i will post a bikini pic myself. Just to be accountable. That said, i have about 5 weeks and i was 141.7 today... may have to wait until next summer.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:27 PM   #1285
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
I've been fairly off plan for the past few weeks.....not eating too much but just not following the guidelines of the plan so well. Challenging with houseguests and with all the activities we've had. Things are winding down now so I'm back on plan and will do my best to stay there.

I've prepared some foods ahead to make things easier, too. I still have a few things to get made ahead so I'll try to get that done today.
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #1286
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kitty~girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara1970 View Post

And yes some people might find a bit of extra veg or some type of veg isn't a problem for them, but is this really about exploring and ruling out every loophole before you can commit?

Your results will be bound by the laws of physics and biology, not rhetoric and wishful thinking...

This is the one diet plan that works where you get to eat pretty much absolutely whatever type of food you like, in reasonable amounts, every single day. And certainly the types of extra veg that you might otherwise want to add to your CMs.

Trying to add extras to the list of CM foods is stark craziness IMO if you're still in the weightloss phases of CAD though, it's the same old patterns we've all been through which is why we're here - we cannot judge how much food to eat to acquire and maintain our desired body weight, especially when carbohydrates are involved, and if we can judge it intellectually we still CONSISTANTLY let other internal forces over-ride our best judgement.

And we often find our appetites are backed up by seemingly rational mental arguments to say it was okay to over-eat today, JUST today, because yadda yadda, I mean i've been there done that.

But really that's just a way of saying 'I don't want to DO this, I want to THINK about doing it at some never-to-be-defined date when my life is absolutely perfect and nothing is on my mind, but in the moment of choice I won't, actually, DO this at all.'

Listening to those same little voices to add some broccoli or a whole onion, or carrots or whatever to a CM BEFORE you've reached goal, I don't mean to be rude but who wins out there?
Well said!!!
kitty~girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #1287
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alliejon
Stats: 320.8/316.4/145
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
The original list of CAD had summer squashes, and that is what I go by. I am not trying to find loopholes. I'm trying to find veggies I can add to my CM meals that help me stay on plan. If zucchini and spaghetti squash and broccoli and yes even carrots help me stay on plan, and don't have adverse reactions, that's a success. I'm not incorporating "addicting" forbidden foods into CM to try to get away with something. It's the opposite - I'm trying to incorporate veggies that help keep me full and satisfied so I can stick to the plan...
Old 08-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #1288
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TootsieRoll
Stats: 151.8/150.6 /140
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: 09/16/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliejon View Post
The original list of CAD had summer squashes, and that is what I go by. I am not trying to find loopholes. I'm trying to find veggies I can add to my CM meals that help me stay on plan. If zucchini and spaghetti squash and broccoli and yes even carrots help me stay on plan, and don't have adverse reactions, that's a success. I'm not incorporating "addicting" forbidden foods into CM to try to get away with something. It's the opposite - I'm trying to incorporate veggies that help keep me full and satisfied so I can stick to the plan...

I agree. My way is working for me. I'm down to 149.6 this morning. Couldn't be happier with my choices.
TootsieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #1289
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
My goal is 1 lb loss per week for the rest of the year. And if I stick to plan, I know that is attainable.

Just putting it out here to help keep me accountable.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #1290
Junior LCF Member

good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karegado View Post

I agree. My way is working for me. I'm down to 149.6 this morning. Couldn't be happier with my choices.

Thank you both for sharing. It was my intent too and i find it hard being limited to such a few veggies. That said, i don't plan on having potatoes at those meals!