Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #1081
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TootsieRoll
Stats: 153.4/? /130
WOE: Fast-5/JUDDD
Start Date: 12/03/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
I have to admit, IF I drink water only, my weight loss definitely improves. I just have tough time staying away from SF drinks.
Water only is hard for me. I try to drink it in addition to my diet soda and usually drink 16 - 24 oz a day if I remember. I do better by drinking unsweetened tea to get my water in. When I drink my tea, I feel better as far as swelling. I've had about 40 oz of tea already today, my rings are looser than this morning and I'm getting my extra steps in with bathroom trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagiff View Post
So for now I'm just concentrating on eating right and getting rid of the retention.
I get puffy when I ride, too. Enjoy your next trip
I'm going shopping today and my intentions are to eat healthier now that I've gotten my carb cravings out of the way. Today my RM was not as enjoyable and I actually wanted something healthier and "less carby". I think I'm wanting a salad.
TootsieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #1082
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tara1970
Stats: 176/158/Happy@140/Ideal@128
WOE: CAD/One Meal A Day/Gluten Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
I did not lose at all when I first started this WOE. I started and eased myself into it, following CAD at the beginning. It took me about a month of not losing at all, then I tightened up a bit, then another month of only losing 1/3 of a pound per week before I decided I'd better try CALP. After that, loss was slow and steady until I switched my RM to lunch, and then it really began to pick up. I almost quit after three weeks of only losing 1/3 lb, but then I decided that I hadn't really given it enough of a chance and that I was following it too loosely.

I'd say the biggest challenge was getting over that hump and deciding to follow CALP instead of CAD.
Thanks!!

Thought-provoking stuff, I just found out I have NO choice but to go 'off-plan' for reasons I won't bore ya'll with tonight, some thing in my life... anyway thanks because it's seriously depressing when every diet book ever only has the 'I did this and it worked like a breeze, one week I couldn't walk 200 yards, and next week I joined the Bolshoi ballet!'-types of thing, okay that's an exaggeration but y'know what I mean, they never admit doubt or fine-tuning or whatever.

I have a lot of work to do, some of it on myself, I know that, some of it on my expectations of a diet (I did amazingly good weightloss on high-carb/low-cal but it drove me CRAZY) and some of just why exactly we're all struggling with this when my grandad's lot ate toast for breakfast, cake and sweets, and yet didn't deal with this kind of stuff AT ALL - and stayed slim and cognitively healthy.

Sorry that's OT - anyway thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate you taking the time, and good luck with all your stuff!

Last edited by Tara1970; 06-18-2014 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Fat finger typoes! :)
Tara1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #1083
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WordWhimsy
Stats: 5'6" 156/155/135
WOE: CAD
Start Date: June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karegado View Post
I believe that, too. But I believe it is because of the one hour time limit for the RM (which may or may not be magic due to the timed insulin release, but I sure hope it is) that I could be eating less. I'm more aware of what I am feeding my body during this hour, as opposed to grazing all day and mindlessly shoving things in my mouth. Sure, I'm eating a lot of carbs and I always have, but I'm eating about 300-800 calories less a day now. Oreos and Hershey Kisses add up when you grab a handful all day long because they're in reach.

If I only lose a pound a week, I will be happy. Happy because I wasn't restricted to LC and the word "No" and happy because this is the simplest way for me. I just feel better and more energetic lately.

Thank you, Kat, for the encouragement
I agree that having the cravings gone is one of the ways I am able to eat less and feel satisfied. I still have the energy to exercise, which I don't think I would eating VLC.

I do also allow myself high fiber crackers outside of my RM, it keeps me full and regular.
WordWhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #1084
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Because it's a 6 hour drive to our son's house we stop for a meal along the way. When he first moved we brought a cooler and stopped at a rest area for a picnic. As time went by we got in the habit of stopping at a fast food place because it was easier. Plus sometimes we have others with us so it isn't practical (or inexpensive) for me to bring food for everyone.

We are back to bringing a cooler with food and stopping at a rest area....maybe I need to do a lap or two around the parking lot before we get back on the road! I'm going to try that on Friday when we go! I also have some compression socks from when I had knee surgery so maybe I'll wear them.

We gladly feast on those who would subdue us! - Addams Family Creed

My Facebook
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:56 AM   #1085
Senior LCF Member

Again, I'm at the exact same weight on both scales, since Sunday morning. My body fat % dropped .03%.

Yesterday
Breakfast CM- Coffee w/ 2% milk
Lunch RM- Spaghetti with garlic bread

I wasn't hungry at all after my RM.

I drank 2 diet sodas and a half gallon of unsweetened tea throughout the day.

At least I haven't gained anything. Maybe my body is catching up with the huge loss (4.8 lbs total) from last week??
Old 06-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #1086
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Again, I'm at the exact same weight on both scales, since Sunday morning.

At least I haven't gained anything. Maybe my body is catching up with the huge loss (4.8 lbs total) from last week??
Wow, 4.8 last week, that is a nice loss.

Today I'm down just 0.4 #, but as long as I lose 1# a week, I will be quite happy and make my goal for October.

I am getting a pretty good routine.

Up at 6am
Workout 30 min (didn't get a workout in yesterday)
B: 2 turkey sausages
1 egg + 1 egg white
L: 3 High Fiber Thins
Chicken salad or Tuna Salad or Crab Salad - made with greek yogurt and a little cream cheese, so yummy!
1/4 avocado
4 cherry tomatoes
Any veggies if I'm still hungry
D: Salad to start
?? Whatever I want, in a small portion- last night I wasn't very hungry so I just had the salad
small glass of wine
small dessert, last night I had 1/3 piece of carmel apple crumble pie, it tasted just right I was full but not stuffed.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #1087
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordWhimsy View Post
Wow, 4.8 last week, that is a nice loss.
That was after gaining to 156.2 over a 3 day lapse during the week. Actual average was I think 2.8 for the week, but I was still thrilled with that

Quote:
Today I'm down just 0.4 #, but as long as I lose 1# a week, I will be quite happy and make my goal for October.

I am getting a pretty good routine.

Up at 6am
Workout 30 min (didn't get a workout in yesterday)
B: 2 turkey sausages
1 egg + 1 egg white
L: 3 High Fiber Thins
Chicken salad or Tuna Salad or Crab Salad - made with greek yogurt and a little cream cheese, so yummy!
1/4 avocado
4 cherry tomatoes
Any veggies if I'm still hungry
D: Salad to start
?? Whatever I want, in a small portion- last night I wasn't very hungry so I just had the salad
small glass of wine
small dessert, last night I had 1/3 piece of carmel apple crumble pie, it tasted just right I was full but not stuffed.
Good loss! Your menu sounds yummy. I want the recipe for your high fiber thins please.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #1088
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

Good loss! Your menu sounds yummy. I want the recipe for your high fiber thins please.
Oh the high fiber thins are from fiber gourmet , I don't make them. They are just something I need in my diet to keep me regular and they do have some carbs: for 2-3 thins (they are kind of a thin flat rectangular cracker) they have 20 grams carbs, but 13 grams fiber.

I use them instead of bread, they really keep me full. As long as my weight doesn't stall I'm going to keep them in my diet.

Another reason to UP the water, my dad was in the ER yesterday, we found out he has a kidney stone. Glad he doesn't need surgery, we weren't sure if it was his diverticulitus or appendix or gallbladder, we were wrong with all our guesses.

I also found a really cute app (for my phone) to keep track of water, it's called Plant Nanny. The more you drink, the more your plants grow. I guess I'm a kid at heart
Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #1089
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info on the cracker. Glad your dad is OK and it wasn't more serious.

I measured a few minutes ago and while I've not lost "pound" weight this week, I have lost 1 inch in my waist!
I need to measure more than my thighs when it comes to leg measurements too, because I've noticed my legs getting thinner in the calf and above my knees (whatever that area is called).

I use unsweetened tea as my main water intake. I read of people all the time using sf flavors for their water, so I figure the tea is my flavor
Old 06-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #1090
Bike Tart

I'm glad I changed my RM to lunch time....only needed a light CM last night!

Planning on grilled burger patties with a cucumber side salad as well as some potato salad for lunch....maybe some other veggies, too. I'll check with DH to see what he wants first.

Tonight's CM will be the last of the chicken salad and maybe some cucumber salad to go with it.

I have an app for tracking weight, an app for tracking my BP and I like the idea of the water app....I'll have to check it out. I'm pretty good with water most of the time but it wouldn't hurt to track it! I'm going to make some infused water today using cucumber, lemons and mint leaves. I hope it's good!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #1091
Senior LCF Member

Yay!

No gain from yesterday, and just to make sure the RM's worked out as two within 48 hours, I stayed <20g carbs today (tuna melt, bouillon, some celery & cucumber) and yesterday's weight is the same today. so I updated my stats on the thingy!

Feeling very positive, and thanks due to everyone here for the inspiration!
Old 06-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #1092
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CindyLou
Stats: 165/165/135 (5'1")
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Start Date: 7/1/2014 restart
Hi everyone. I started this plan back in April but just couldn't find a good rhythm with my meals and timing. I took a break from thinking about it. I guess I had so much going on then that I just couldn't find the commitment I needed. Things have calmed down in my life again and I want to start over.

I think tomorrow will give it another try. Any tips?

Last edited by CindyLou; 06-19-2014 at 04:31 PM..
CindyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #1093
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLou View Post
Any tips?
The good thing about this WOE is it can be completely personalised to YOUR needs and YOUR lifestyle, so it's hard to give general tips.

The winners for me were learning to drink tea (Earl Grey & darjeeling) black, no milk, because milk was always the bit I struggled with, learning to kinda-like cream in coffee (I used to have it half-milk) and working out what time of day my RM works best - I'm doing the version Rachael hit on, of one meal a day, you don't have to!

Work out what time you want to eat your RM that works best and you'rte probably halfway there.

Don't start sliping tomatoes, onion, milk etc into meals or snacks outside the RM - remember 'if you crave it, save it.'
Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #1094
Bike Tart

Today has been successful so far....although my RM lunch was not as balanced as I would have liked it....sticking with CAD for now and moving to CALP later on.

Tonight's CM will be some cucumber salad and some sauteed steak strips.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:17 AM   #1095
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara1970 View Post
The good thing about this WOE is it can be completely personalised to YOUR needs and YOUR lifestyle, so it's hard to give general tips.

'if you crave it, save it.'
What a cute little quote!

For me, especially with a RM, I always try to be satisfied with less. Just have a few bites of dessert, don't ever stuff yourself, maybe just a small glass of wine.

I'm up 0.4 # today, but I went out with friends last night after my RM, and I had a couple vodka/club soda's I know you aren't supposed to have alcohol outside of RM, so I knew what I was getting into. I tried to pick the best of the worst. So with a slight gain from that, I guess I am OK with it. I'm going to be really good through the weekend, and exercise every day!
Old 06-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #1096
Senior LCF Member

150.4 so down 1 lb this morning. Finally! This is my lowest weight since starting on May 26.

Yesterday
Lunch RM- 5 large grilled shrimp, lettuce and tomato salad with mayo based dressing, chocolate cream filled snack cake, and tea and diet soda all day.

Here's the kicker...I cheated and had a few pretzels outside my RM. I figured it would bite me in the butt, and it still could, but so far so good.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #1097
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
150.4 so down 1 lb this morning. Finally! This is my lowest weight since starting on May 26.

Yesterday
Lunch RM- 5 large grilled shrimp, lettuce and tomato salad with mayo based dressing, chocolate cream filled snack cake, and tea and diet soda all day.

Here's the kicker...I cheated and had a few pretzels outside my RM. I figured it would bite me in the butt, and it still could, but so far so good.
SWEET!!! You'll be breaking into the 140s soon!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #1098
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:

Yesterday

Hope it doesn't catch up!!

My cheats tend to show up 2 days later, not next day ... but that is just me...

Didn't feel like eggs this morning, so cooked up a steak filet with Worcestershire sauce for BF!!

But it sure did taste good.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #1099
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
SWEET!!! You'll be breaking into the 140s soon!
I haven't seen the 140's since the middle of 2012. It will be so nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
Hope it doesn't catch up!!

My cheats tend to show up 2 days later, not next day ... but that is just me...

Didn't feel like eggs this morning, so cooked up a steak filet with Worcestershire sauce for BF!!

But it sure did taste good.
Maybe it won't hurt me too bad since it was just a few and not like a whole bag or anything :/ I'll be slightly upset but it's not like I've struggled any this week. I CAD.

That sounds delicious! I've never cared for eggs for breakfast. I prefer them for supper/dinner with all the trimmings... like bacon, biscuits, potatoes, and tomato gravy. Yummy! If I decide to eat anything in the breakfast hours, it's usually dinner leftovers.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #1100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Hi, everyone!

The RMs are looking delicious this week! I've been following CAD pretty consistently this week, and I've been rewarded with a very stable weight betwen 107.4 and 107.8 the past few days. I had a cheat day on Wednesday, but Monday, Tuesday, and Thursay were all RM lunches and a CM supper. I've been eating a range of foods for RM. I had spinach white pizza on Monday, Thai fried rice with chicken on Tuesday, and today I had a ham and cheese sandwich and a bowl of noodle soup. With every RM I've been eating something sweet these days, usually a chocolate cake from Bertolli or today a Klondike Oreo ice cream sandwich. I had gotten out of the habit of eating sweets, but the protracted and stressful move has brought those cravings back with a vengeance! The good thing is that I'm keeping the sweets to my RM.
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #1101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stacy1131
Stats: 179/179/165
I have been all over the board this week. one meal a day,2 meals a day, eating all day..... cad is probably the way to go. so I need to eat 2 protein meals and one semi balanced reward meal. I can probably do that. better than the others I tried this week. will start tomorrow. will be checking back. keep posting, it is encouraging!!
stacy1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #1102
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy1131 View Post
I have been all over the board this week. one meal a day,2 meals a day, eating all day..... cad is probably the way to go.
A few times in the past I've got into problematic eating habits, usually due to a diet gone wrong (too many carbs/not enough fat or long period of high-carb/low cals = constant munchies etc) and also because of doing night shifts etc, and those times, CAD got me out of the problems within 3 - 5 days even though back then I was a monster for wanting milky coffees first thing in the morning, and couldn't stick with it for long for that reason.

So you could give it a three-day trial on the basis it might bring your appetite under control and then you can assess other options, or remain with it, from there.

I realised recently one thing I hate is the prospect of being 'locked in' to a WOE permanently and the flexibility with CAD works psychologically because of that, I can experiment with one or two CMs 'Atkins '72' style, and a small carby snack at night if 'one meal a day' gets old, or with any number of other choices.

So anyway I think it's a good 'transitional' plan and then if you like it, the options are yours to choose!

Yesterday, I had black teas and water all day, my RM was a lentil dhal curry mixed with fried onions and tinned tomatoes, with cheddar on top (weird but I just really fancied it) and a small amount of white rice, then chocolate-chip ice cream.

It was totally carb-heavy but I couldn't face meat, and since I'm in this for the long-term, figured that since I wanted that, I'd have it - it was under 2000 cals and I finished within 50m.

Today I'm planning steak and onions, much lighter and I have zero cravings, so I think I did the right thing by my psyche at least to scratch that itch for a curry.

I don't weigh in at weekends and don't know if there's any 'damage' but I'll probably do a <20g CHO day tomorrow.

My current idea is that the CMs, which I skip, are there for the purpose of re-educating your body that not every meal has to = 'huge insulin release' (which they say in the book) and that since I don't eat CMs in a day, I want to have 2 VLC days a week, evenly spaced, for that reason. Might be wrong but I'm still fine-tuning it and the <20g meal I make (tuna melt with cheddar, salad and bouillon) is absolutely incredible and no burden to work it in.

I stay just under 20g total carbs (not net) and tho that's over twice what a CM should be, it's still my only meal of the day and eaten in 45mins, so I figure it balances out.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #1103
Senior LCF Member

Great to see things are still going well for you , Kat!

stacy1131. Good luck to you

Well I am right back up to the exact weight I've been all week. That 1 lb loss yesterday came right back as of this morning. No big deal. I was away from home almost all day yesterday and barely drank even 40 oz of fluids so that might have something to do with it.
My average for the last 27 days is 2.6 pounds lost and I think that's great considering I eat ice cream every single day

Yesterday
Breakfast CM- coffee w/ 2% milk but didn't finish even half the cup
Lunch RM- Taco salad (only 2 bites of the shell, yay me!), a few chips and salsa and a nutty buddy cone.
(I usually always have a loss after my taco salad RM, so I'm thinking the very poor fluid intake has a lot to do with not losing and gaining back that pound.)
Old 06-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #1104
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara1970 View Post
A few times in the past I've got into problematic eating habits, usually due to a diet gone wrong (too many carbs/not enough fat or long period of high-carb/low cals = constant munchies etc) and also because of doing night shifts etc, and those times, CAD got me out of the problems within 3 - 5 days even though back then I was a monster for wanting milky coffees first thing in the morning, and couldn't stick with it for long for that reason.

So you could give it a three-day trial on the basis it might bring your appetite under control and then you can assess other options, or remain with it, from there.

I realised recently one thing I hate is the prospect of being 'locked in' to a WOE permanently and the flexibility with CAD works psychologically because of that, I can experiment with one or two CMs 'Atkins '72' style, and a small carby snack at night if 'one meal a day' gets old, or with any number of other choices.

So anyway I think it's a good 'transitional' plan and then if you like it, the options are yours to choose!

Yesterday, I had black teas and water all day, my RM was a lentil dhal curry mixed with fried onions and tinned tomatoes, with cheddar on top (weird but I just really fancied it) and a small amount of white rice, then chocolate-chip ice cream.

It was totally carb-heavy but I couldn't face meat, and since I'm in this for the long-term, figured that since I wanted that, I'd have it - it was under 2000 cals and I finished within 50m.

Today I'm planning steak and onions, much lighter and I have zero cravings, so I think I did the right thing by my psyche at least to scratch that itch for a curry.

I don't weigh in at weekends and don't know if there's any 'damage' but I'll probably do a <20g CHO day tomorrow.

My current idea is that the CMs, which I skip, are there for the purpose of re-educating your body that not every meal has to = 'huge insulin release' (which they say in the book) and that since I don't eat CMs in a day, I want to have 2 VLC days a week, evenly spaced, for that reason. Might be wrong but I'm still fine-tuning it and the <20g meal I make (tuna melt with cheddar, salad and bouillon) is absolutely incredible and no burden to work it in.

I stay just under 20g total carbs (not net) and tho that's over twice what a CM should be, it's still my only meal of the day and eaten in 45mins, so I figure it balances out.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
Interesting info.......hope it works for you. My problem always has been, that with family to feed, it is hard to stick with LC meals, especially if cooking for others at the same time. DH is picky eater, and 1 daughter only weighs 98 lbs, and can eat anything in sight........

So I am trying to find a method that fits MY world. That is the trick for all of us.....

And been trying long enough, that lettuce and eggs can get old after awhile, and then need to find something else to fill the LC bill...
Old 06-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #1105
Junior LCF Member

thanks for the ideas Tara1970. I am going to really try next week. already did a little damage today.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #1106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy1131 View Post
thanks for the ideas Tara1970. I am going to really try next week. already did a little damage today.
That's what is so great about CAD! You can restart the very next day if you cheat or eat off plan.
Buy the book if you can. I bought a used copy from Amazon and refer to it daily. There is also a lot of copied info on the first page of this thread with do's and don'ts as far as CM meals go. So simple! I love it! I eat like Rachael Heller did in the beginning. I eat anything I want for my RM and don't begin with a salad unless I go out to eat. It is working very well for me
Old 06-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #1107
Senior LCF Member

Retaining water but still down .04 lbs this morning. Not bad. If it holds until tomorrow morning, that will be my average loss for the week. Better than a gain and I enjoyed every meal, all week long. To me, there is no better way to "diet".

Yesterday
Breakfast CM- coffee w/ 2% milk *and a protein bar
Snack CM- *7 almonds and a slice of cheddar
(*I ate much more than usual today*)
Late Lunch RM- Spicy beef burrito w/ sour cream, a few chips and salsa, a big handful of fries, and a nutty buddy cone. Yep! Full of carbs!

2 diet sodas and only 50 oz unsweetened tea during the day. I need to drink more today.
I'm craving veggies, so I'm going to try to eat more of them for the next few days. Definitely NOT going low carb with my RM though. I'm still going to enjoy my carbs with that meal!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #1108
Big Yapper!!!!

Made myself stay away from all soda pop yesterday, and for whatever reason, down 2 # today.

See what tomorrow brings, but definitely staying away from pop again today.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #1109
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kitty~girl
Lost 2.7 lbs for the week; 13 lbs lost in 7 weeks so far.
kitty~girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #1110
Junior LCF Member

what have you been doing kitty girl that brought such great results? I need to get organized this week and stay on plan.