Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #1051
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WordWhimsy
Stats: 5'6" 156/155/135
WOE: CAD
Start Date: June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karegado View Post
Nicole!
You and I are close in weight and goal. I hate counting, too. That's why I love CAD. Hang with us and post updates. We have a nice little group here.

Cali girl, look forward to hearing more from you.
Thanks for the welcome! I love how active this board/group is!

I'm also starting Jillian Michaels Body Revolution today. I need some firming and toning, and this workout program is just 30 minutes a day, so I think that is pretty "doable."
WordWhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #1052
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordWhimsy View Post
Thanks for the welcome! I love how active this board/group is!

I'm also starting Jillian Michaels Body Revolution today. I need some firming and toning, and this workout program is just 30 minutes a day, so I think that is pretty "doable."
Good luck with that. Wish you great success.

If someone could come up with way to keep me moving
Best intentions, and lousy execution here.......
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #1053
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hello! I'm Nicole, and I've done this diet semi-successfully (lost 10#, then fell off the wagon, before started high 140s, ended up close to goal of high 130s) in the past.

Now I'm overshot my high 140s and am now mid 150s (the horrors ) I know I'm still at a sort-of OK for my height 5'6" but feel uncomfortable and would be much happier at my goal of 130s.

I am happy to have found this message board for accountability.

I sometimes post on ************, but they are all about calorie counting, which just drives me crazy! Also why I really like CAD.

I have a cruise in October and my goal is to be in the 130s by then.
Best of luck. Hoping for the Cruise weight for you!!
Old 06-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #1054
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty~girl View Post
I agree, I'm doing the same and it works well for me.
Me three Original CAD book....
Old 06-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #1055
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty~girl View Post
I've been IFing for a month now and don't feel bad yet; I hope I don't in the future. My one meal/day is at 2:00 pm and it's eaten within 60 minutes. I like eating this way for the health benefits and not having to think about food except once/day.

Tara1970, thanks for the info on the waist measurements, I think I'll start doing that too.
I didn't mean anything when I posted. Went back in posts and realized you were doing IF. I did it for awhile, and got along great. But eventually, I had to change. Not sure if body reserves, metabolism or what, but I knew it wasn't for me at that time.

I guess I would say to watch out as you go. I may go back to IF postings, and see how long I did it before I noticed change. And strictly an observation of my world. Everyone is different, and I have a fairly "active" lifestyle..........farming and horses in my spare time, so I tend to need more calories sometimes, just to survive..... (I just eat more than I need)
.. ......177.0...174.0....174.0...183.0...184.0...183 .5...185.5....192.0

Goal of less than 170.0 by Year End 2014.
22 Lb Goal 2014......So Far ?????
Old 06-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #1056
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Art_Soul View Post
Hello Everyone!
I am so excited to finally join this group. I have been lurking for awhile
I have been overweight my entire life and I am so excited to find something that works for me finally and I am not suffering - which is even more exciting! I started CAD the 1st of this year and have lost 37 lbs so far...With Adkins it took me 6 years to lose 29 lbs from my heaviest at 367... lots of going on and off again... it was exhausting! I actually purchased the book over 2 years ago at Goodwill. I read it and thought to myself... that sounds nice, but there is no way that this can work. I finally decided to try it... I wish I could go back 2 years into the past and hit myself upside the head with that book. LOL I still can't believe it! Losing weight and eating cake and icecream everyday! When I go down a clothing size my 1st assumption is that the clothes are being made bigger now. (I now I am not right) I love this plan so much - it is soooooo easy for me! I am looking forward to sharing with and getting to know you all! I can't wait to share my journey and learn from you and hopefully be of support to you as well!
I am re-reading posts, and just want to mention that this is phenomenal!!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #1057
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/109.6/110 as of 07/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Great news Kat! You've always been my inspiration for CAD and my proof that it isn't a fad diet. I just love reading about your success
Thanks, Karegado! I have to admit that this is the first WOE I've ever been on that has literally retrained me in the way I see food and eating. I never realized it, but I had an unhealthy relationship with food before that lead to a lot of bad habits and burying my head in the sand like an ostrich. I would try a crazy diet, drop pounds, get close to goal, and shoot back up. I looked and I have now been maintaining for three months. I know that is a drop in the bucket in the larger scheme of things, but it is about three months longer than I've maintained a weight loss in the past! I'm just hoping my good fortune continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagiff View Post
Congrats, Kat!

Scale is up for me but expected since all the travel time in the car always makes me swell up. Once that's gone the true numbers will show....I hope!

Working on the food for today's lunch with all the ladies of the family. It will be open faced tea sandwiches, salad, some appetizers and whatever everyone else brings. I have no clue other than one Aunt is bringing a dessert! We have a beautiful day for eating out in the yard! And I'm going to completely enjoy this RM!
Ladies lunches are so much fun! I hope the dessert is tasty!!

Quote:
I keep mentioning that my RM's aren't balanced. Looking back on my food logs, they all include a protein, a veggie of some sort that may or may not be low carb, a grain that's either a bread or a sweet, and usually something from the dairy group which includes ice cream
I chose this plan because it is not a low carb diet/woe. Been there, done that... stayed weak, hungry and grouchy.
I guess what I mean when I say, "not balanced" is that although I do eat my veggies, I very rarely have a salad before or during my RM unless I go out to eat, or eat my favorite meal of a taco salad.
But, I don't spend my entire RM hour pigging out on a gallon of ice cream alone.
I'm doing more CAD than CALP, and more like Rachael Heller when she first started. If my meal isn't balanced enough for anyone who is reading, I'm sorry. This is my way on CAD. It seems to work well for me so far.
Karegado, when I started, I didn't balance my meals at all. Like you, I figured I would just let me body tell me if I needed to tighten up the diet. I am convinced that doing this kept me on the diet and that if I hadn't started with CAD and worked my way to CALP slowly, I would have given up on it. After a month or so, I felt I was losing too slowly and moved toward CALP practices, but I did it when I wanted to and felt ready for it, and I think that made a big difference in my ability to stick to it. Now that I'm on maintenance, I'm slowly moving away from CALP and back to CAD principles. I say do what works for you!
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:11 AM   #1058
Junior LCF Member

Down a lb. after one day. Maybe it's just water weight, but I'll take it!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #1059
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karegado
Stats: 154/151/138
WOE: CAD (original)
Start Date: 05/26/2014
Kat, I can't wait to get on maintenance! I know it will be quite a while.
You and I are close to the same starting weight, and that's one of the reasons I have followed your progress so closely, but I can't see myself weighing 110 lbs. I haven't weighed that since I was 17. I'll be happy with 130's!

No loss, no gain this morning. The scale stayed exactly the same. I can live with that.

Yesterday
Breakfast CM- coffee w/ 2% milk
Lunch RM- 1 cup of homemade chili w/ beans, a spinach and three cheese hot pocket, one inch chunk of tiramisu topped with a scoop of ice cream, & 3 tbs peanut butter. I was craving peanut butter yesterday for some reason. A very carb heavy RM and I stayed really full all day.

Congrats Nicole! Any loss is a good loss. Great start!
Karegado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:17 AM   #1060
Big Yapper!!!!

I am actually down 1.5 lbs this month, and holding it, not the famed 1 day drop and then back up....

And been pretty good at sticking to plan!! Progress.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #1061
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Congrats Nicole! Any loss is a good loss. Great start!
Thank you!

I also started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution today (was supposed to start yesterday ).

I'm also really focused on drinking 100 oz. of water a day, or building up to that amount. Yesterday was only 30 oz. so I've got a way to go!

I can't wait to get to maintenance either! I guess it wouldn't really change anything about how I'll eat, just that I'll be more comfortable in my clothes and feel more confident.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #1062
Junior LCF Member

Kat, now long did it take you to reach your goal?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #1063
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
I am actually down 1.5 lbs this month, and holding it, not the famed 1 day drop and then back up....

And been pretty good at sticking to plan!! Progress.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #1064
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Congrats to everyone that lost! I'm up a bit but it's because I'm retaining fluids....my feet look like pillows! This always happens to me after a travel weekend so I'm not too worried about it. It will be gone in a day or two and then we travel again!

My Old Lady Lunch RM was very good! One Aunt brought a peach cobbler and the other brought an apple dessert....both were delicious! I'm glad they took the leftovers home! The rest of the food was good, too. We're hoping to do another one in a month when my brother and family are visiting!

We gladly feast on those who would subdue us! - Addams Family Creed

My Facebook
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #1065
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tara1970
Stats: 176/158/Happy@140/Ideal@128
WOE: CAD/One Meal A Day/Gluten Free
Up 2lbs (?! no idea) this morning, but DOWN ¾ inch on my waist (pulled "in" and also not).

Today's food, black teas and water all day, RM - poached chicken and mashed veg (brocc & cauliflower), green beans and about 100g carrots, gravy made with water from poaching the chicken plus 12g Bisto gravy granules and a teaspoon of ketchup, then half a gluten-free chocolate muffin with a drizzle of berry coulis, finally a hunk of cheddar at the end with a tablespoon or so finely chopped raw onion (I wanted an apple with it but we ran out) and some green tea with 1oz cream to take vitamins & chalky mineral pills. Pretty much what I eat every weekday!

If I wasn't measuring my waist that 2lbs would have really thrown me. Strange! I didn't eat more salt than usual yesterday, finished eating easily within 45mins, didn't go over about 1700cals, nor is it TOTM... oh well, I'm going to keep an eye on the scales, but for now write it off as an anomaly, I LOOK thinner.
Tara1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #1066
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Kat, I can't wait to get on maintenance! I know it will be quite a while.
You and I are close to the same starting weight, and that's one of the reasons I have followed your progress so closely, but I can't see myself weighing 110 lbs. I haven't weighed that since I was 17. I'll be happy with 130's!
Me neither, which is what makes it so odd and amazing to me! The last time I came within a stone's throw of 110 was back in 2011 on Atkins when I saw 113.8 and then immediately shot back up. The lowest I've been able to get before CAD/CALP was between 125 and 120. I tended to boomerang quite a bit in weight before I tried this WOE, so I am holding my breath during maintenance.

Quote:
Kat, now long did it take you to reach your goal?
I lost around 25 lbs or so on Atkins and then couldn't get any lower no matter what I did. I started this WOE in October of 2013 and reached goal in around March of this year. That makes nine months of eating this way.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #1067
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
That makes nine months of eating this way.
What, if anything, has been your biggest challenge about this plan over those months?

I'm still having doubts here and there, and weird scale fluctuations like today's are baffling, I guess I'm where the Heller's describe of doubting it's possible to eat (more or less) what I want and actually succeed, long term.

My hunger's almost evaporated apart from the 45mins or so before my RM, RM's aren't crazy either, well under 80g carbs which I know is a lot for some but it's what I was doing before, spread over a day, and not gaining, I have zero desire to cheat on the hour and no cravings now outside the RM for anything much, I maybe have a bite of hard cheddar but otherwise tea does the trick... sorry if I'm rambling, I was tempted to go VLC today after seeing the scales but I had a very stressy day and have another even more so tomorrow, and I just couldn't do that to myself.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #1068
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I lost around 25 lbs or so on Atkins and then couldn't get any lower no matter what I did. I started this WOE in October of 2013 and reached goal in around March of this year. That makes nine months of eating this way.
If I'm recalling correctly, you were around 120ish in January of this year, so when I started following this thread and your progress in April, you were quite a few lbs less by then. I was impressed with the meals you ate and that you were still losing. I hope that in 6 months time for me, I'm at or very close to goal.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #1069
Senior LCF Member

I got a nice surprise this morning - my period showed up early!

Yes, I'd have preferred Brad Pitt on the doorstep with a bunch of flowers, but it means that unexplained weight-gain from yesterday wasn't inexplicable after all. Turns out, I updated my diary system last month and got the days out somehow when I wrote them back in, can't figure out how, but anyway that's a real relief because that two pound rebound was disturbing!

Today: coffee & cream (long day ahead), RM same as yesterday, 50g cheddar if I need it as a suppertime snack. Game on!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:11 AM   #1070
Senior LCF Member

Another day of the exact same weight. No loss, no gain since Monday. I have two scales side by side and neither has changed by even an ounce. I find this odd, but as long as I'm not gaining, I'm OK with it for now. Maybe I'll experience a "whoosh" soon.

Yesterday
Breakfast CM- Coffee w/ 2% milk
Lunch RM- One catfish filet, handful of fries, 2 cheese sticks, a cup of ice cream, & diet soda all day. Not a large amount of food but very carb heavy.

I'm not craving anything lately and I'm not hungry for anything other than my one meal day which is my RM.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:34 AM   #1071
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I have tried Atkins, but could never last more than a week, then I would always gain everything I lost right back. I know you are an inspiration for many on the board. Glad you found the right WOE for you

Today the scale was down 2# after 2 days, I think my body is thanking me However I think I'll wait to update my tag until next week, and start doing weekly averages. My BIG GOAL, is to get my weight in the 130s by my cruise in October.

I know I can't get used to that kind of loss, regularly, but for the first week, it is making me quite happy.

When someone mentioned VLC, does that mean very low carb?

For me this is just the perfect way to eat, I always don't know why I stop? I'm going to be combining this with daily exercise. I know that is important too. Also drinking more water, I did a lot better yesterday, I got 80 oz, which is much closer to my 100 oz goal.

As I mentioned I have started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, and I also enjoy group fitness dance classes classes at a local studio. They have some really fun classes, I really like Zumba and WERQ, WERQ is similar to Zumba with more Hip Hop music. They also have a Ballet Core class, where it's Ballet and Pilates.

Happy Wednesday!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:37 AM   #1072
Junior LCF Member

[QUOTE=Karegado;16946920]Another day of the exact same weight. No loss, no gain since Monday. I have two scales side by side and neither has changed by even an ounce. I find this odd, but as long as I'm not gaining, I'm OK with it for now. Maybe I'll experience a "whoosh" soon.

** diet soda all day **
QUOTE]

I'm new to posting, so forgive me if this advice is unwanted. Have you tried to decrease your diet soda intake? I just wonder if that has anything to do with your weight loss stall? Just an idea, take it or leave it. I too drink diet soda, but only once in a while, when I really need a pick me up.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #1073
Senior LCF Member

Congrats on the loss!!

Quote:
I have tried Atkins, but could never last more than a week, then I would always gain everything I lost right back.

I have never like the word 'NO" and with Atkins, or any LC, the word "NO" applied to all my favorite foods. I couldn't stick with the slow losses and restrictions.

When someone mentioned VLC, does that mean very low carb?

Yes
Quote:

I'm new to posting, so forgive me if this advice is unwanted. Have you tried to decrease your diet soda intake? I just wonder if that has anything to do with your weight loss stall? Just an idea, take it or leave it. I too drink diet soda, but only once in a while, when I really need a pick me up.
No worries. Thanks for the suggestion. I have always drank diet soda, even while on LC and it never stalled me. I do admit I need more water and I realized this morning that I haven't had any unsweetened tea in days. Tea is where I get most of my water

One of my scales measures body fat and body water. My fat % is 28 and my water % is 50. Fat is within the normal range for my age but the water is a bit low. Making a gallon of tea right now.

Last edited by Karegado; 06-18-2014 at 05:48 AM..
Old 06-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #1074
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Congrats on the loss!!

No worries. Thanks for the suggestion. I have always drank diet soda, even while on LC and it never stalled me. I do admit I need more water and I realized this morning that I haven't had any unsweetened tea in days. Tea is where I get most of my water

One of my scales measures body fat and body water. My fat % is 28 and my water % is 50. Fat is within the normal range for my age but the water is a bit low. Making a gallon of tea right now.

I have to admit, IF I drink water only, my weight loss definitely improves. I just have tough time staying away from SF drinks.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #1075
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Congrats on the loss!!

Thank you again!

I was just looking at your stats, you started CAD in April this year and have already lost 14 lbs? That is AWESOME!!!

Once again, if you don't mind my asking, how old are you? I am 39, though I really don't feel it. I have definitely noticed a change in my ability to lose weight quickly in the last few years. Ugh! I work out twice as hard to lose half as much.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #1076
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you again!

I was just looking at your stats, you started CAD in April this year and have already lost 14 lbs? That is AWESOME!!!

Once again, if you don't mind my asking, how old are you? I am 39, though I really don't feel it. I have definitely noticed a change in my ability to lose weight quickly in the last few years. Ugh! I work out twice as hard to lose half as much.
I started Atkins in March, at 165 and lost 10 lbs in a couple of weeks. For the next 22 days, I bounced around from 155 to 158. Then I tried the South Beach diet because it allowed a few more food items. On SBD for 21 days I went from 156 to 152. Started CAD in April but slipped up and stopped all plans, for no reason but laziness. Most of May was spent sort of pigging out and I gained back to 154. Started on CAD May 26th. First ten days back on CAD I had lost about 3.5 lbs then came the dreaded tom and guests visiting so I gained back to 156.2 on the 12th of June. Lost back down to current weight since the 12th.

I'm 49 and 5'3".

Last edited by Karegado; 06-18-2014 at 07:00 AM..
Old 06-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #1077
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have definitely noticed a change in my ability to lose weight quickly in the last few years. Ugh! I work out twice as hard to lose half as much.
I don't work out at all these days. I chase a toddler around and keep my house clean, take casual evening walks and do light yard work. That's enough for me
When I get close to or at goal, I'll go back to the gym to tone. I want to see pounds gone before then. Exercising stops the scale for me, even though I lose inches. Right now I want to see those numbers fall first!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #1078
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara1970 View Post
What, if anything, has been your biggest challenge about this plan over those months?

I'm still having doubts here and there, and weird scale fluctuations like today's are baffling, I guess I'm where the Heller's describe of doubting it's possible to eat (more or less) what I want and actually succeed, long term.
I did not lose at all when I first started this WOE. I started and eased myself into it, following CAD at the beginning. It took me about a month of not losing at all, then I tightened up a bit, then another month of only losing 1/3 of a pound per week before I decided I'd better try CALP. After that, loss was slow and steady until I switched my RM to lunch, and then it really began to pick up. I almost quit after three weeks of only losing 1/3 lb, but then I decided that I hadn't really given it enough of a chance and that I was following it too loosely.

I'd say the biggest challenge was getting over that hump and deciding to follow CALP instead of CAD. After that, my successes kept me going, but I definitely think easing into it was important. First I became used to eating the CAD way (1 hour RM meals, no carbs outside that 1 hour), and then I began playing around with exactly what I was eating during my meals. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I firmly believe that I'm just eating less now, and that's why I lost and am maintaining. As much as I wanted to believe that CAD is a magic bullet, when I started taking random samples of my calories in a day, I found that I was eating less food and still feeling full.

Quote:
If I'm recalling correctly, you were around 120ish in January of this year, so when I started following this thread and your progress in April, you were quite a few lbs less by then. I was impressed with the meals you ate and that you were still losing. I hope that in 6 months time for me, I'm at or very close to goal.
I have definitely learned that cutting out an entire food group is not for me, but I think anyone who can do it and keep it up is amazing. It only took me about 30 different tries to figure that out and find something that is working--so far! Your dedication is awesome, Karegado. I know you'll knock it out of the park!!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #1079
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
... and then I began playing around with exactly what I was eating during my meals. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I firmly believe that I'm just eating less now, and that's why I lost and am maintaining. As much as I wanted to believe that CAD is a magic bullet, when I started taking random samples of my calories in a day, I found that I was eating less food and still feeling full.
I believe that, too. But I believe it is because of the one hour time limit for the RM (which may or may not be magic due to the timed insulin release, but I sure hope it is) that I could be eating less. I'm more aware of what I am feeding my body during this hour, as opposed to grazing all day and mindlessly shoving things in my mouth. Sure, I'm eating a lot of carbs and I always have, but I'm eating about 300-800 calories less a day now. Oreos and Hershey Kisses add up when you grab a handful all day long because they're in reach.

If I only lose a pound a week, I will be happy. Happy because I wasn't restricted to LC and the word "No" and happy because this is the simplest way for me. I just feel better and more energetic lately.

Thank you, Kat, for the encouragement
Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #1080
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
I've decided to change my RM to lunch instead of dinner. My DH works nights so the main meal is at lunch and then I'm content to have a light dinner. I thought I'd try have the RM at night but it just doesn't work as well for me.

I don't know that I'll see any weight loss till next week due to traveling this past weekend and again this coming weekend. Whenever we travel (6 hours to DS's house) my feet puff up like big pillows and it takes days for it to go away. So for now I'm just concentrating on eating right and getting rid of the retention.
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote