Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #1021
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kitty~girl
Thanks for the welcome, Karegado. Congrats on your big loss!! I lost another .6 overnight. This woe rocks!!
kitty~girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #1022
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tara1970
Stats: 176/158/Happy@140/Ideal@128
WOE: CAD/One Meal A Day/Gluten Free
Hi kitty~girl (congratz on the progress overnight!) and howdy olderthandirt! Yay, more new people posting on this one!!

I also think it's about the timed insulin release, the Hellers say (I only have the original book) that if you eat even a few minutes over the hour, you release another 'wave' of insulin, but I'm no doctor.

The only thing I can think of (short of the obvious asking your doctor/s) is to find out what diabetics with no pancreas are advised to do when prepping for a general anesthetic, because it was the enforced fast from solid food you have to do pre-op that triggered Rachael's discovery, and maybe find out how people in your situation handle the first meal AFTER an op, which will usually be about 16 or even 24 hours after no solid food.

Are there any recommendations on the amount of carbs etc. that should be included in that first fast-breaking meal, things like that.

If there are special recommendations in each case for people with no pancreas to sip sugary fluids/juices etc. in place of solid food or something, to avoid a long period of zero carbohydrate intake, this might be a contra-indication on this diet.

Also cast your mind back and remember if you've had flu recently or dental work or any other time you naturally only ate infrequently or once during 24 hours since your pancreas was removed. Obvs. there's no law saying CAD is to only eat once, you can have the CMs and snacks etc., but that kind of research might help? And check with your doctor!

It might be that you'll need more balanced CM (very low carb) meals or something, that's my best guess as a total NON-medic!

Oh and btw this might be mad but I try to finish my RMs within 45 minutes most days, just because I have it in my head that some sleep cycles are 45 mins long so maybe it's like a time-period one's bodyclock likes to work with.

It's not a huge problem to achieve that, and I'm really trying to defeat that 2nd wave thing, it's certainly enough time to eat your fill so long as you've planned ahead and it might be another thing to consider, or maybe I'm just giving myself an unecessary constraint there but just sharing that idea fwiw.

Yesterday was teas all day, my RM was grilled shredded chicken with cucumber and mayo, then chocolate-flavoured soft Philadelphia cheese with berry coulis (kinda like forest berry & choc cheesecake with no grains) and then I had a cheeky toasted gluten-free fruit muffin, sprinkled with mixed spices, and buttered with some cheese on top, and finally a couple of slices more cheddar with a tiny bit of raw onion.

Today - coffee and 75ml heavy cream for breakfast, bit of a treat, grilled steak and mashed veg - broccoli, cauliflower and green beans with plenty of salt and butter, gravy made with pan juices from the steak, some Bisto 'onion gravy' granules and a teaspoon of Heinz ketchup.

That was followed by half a gluten-free choc-chip chocolate muffin 'drizzled' as they say with berry coulis, my current fad, then cheese and an apple.

Other than that RM I had a couple of mugs of weak black darjeeling tea, my go-to, and later if I'm starved silly I'll have a couple of ounces of cheddar or the bit of grilled steak I have leftover and maybe some bouillon, which is half an organic stock cube, pinch of herbs, and a tablespoon of cream to stop it looking like greenish water!

The scales haven't budged but I did lose half an inch off my waist overnight, and my belly's where all my weight goes on first and off (usually) more slowly, and i think I'm moving past my initial 'must have amazing desserts' thing because that choc soft cheese yesterday tasted a bit too sweet, I couldn't have managed another (for the first time) afterwards and didn't fancy it for today which is great!
Tara1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #1023
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Waving hi from my son's house! Doing great with food so far! We'll be heading home tomorrow so I may have to switch my RM to lunchtime before we leave. I have enough food in my cooler to do a CM on the way home.

I'll be doing an RM again at lunch on Monday and then changing back to RM in the evening on Tuesday.

Looks like everyone is doing great! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #1024
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TootsieRoll
Stats: 153.4/? /130
WOE: Fast-5/JUDDD
Start Date: 12/03/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara1970 View Post
Oh and btw this might be mad but I try to finish my RMs within 45 minutes most days, just because I have it in my head that some sleep cycles are 45 mins long so maybe it's like a time-period one's bodyclock likes to work with.

It's not a huge problem to achieve that, and I'm really trying to defeat that 2nd wave thing, it's certainly enough time to eat your fill so long as you've planned ahead and it might be another thing to consider, or maybe I'm just giving myself an unecessary constraint there but just sharing that idea fwiw.
I have never gone over my one hour time limit. I can see where it could be easy to do if at a restaurant, but at home it's never been a problem for me. When I first started CAD, I would finish my meal in about 30 minutes and think hmmm I still have time to eat more. I'd then find something else to shove in my mouth. After the first couple of days I stopped doing that. I kept telling myself, it's not about how much I can eat in one hour, it's about eating what I want in less than an hour. I stopped stuffing myself and I'm full and satisfied after every RM.
TootsieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #1025
Junior LCF Member

Yeah, I did the same thing in the beginning...ate as much as possible in an hour. Would always end up way too full. Now I pay more attention to how full I'm feeling as I eat and don't feel the need to eat everything in sight during my RM.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #1026
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I'm definitely wanting less and less to 'make the most' of that Golden Hour with every day that goes by... I wonder whether Rachael found that, I know in the book she says that on the first day she ate a huge meal + two crullers, then the second day she mentioned she'd bought two more pastries, but couldn't finish that second one? Makes me wonder, I'd love to talk to her! They seem like such nice people on their website, as well.

And on days when I've had <20g carbs total, I'm absolutely NOT hungry the next day, right until it's 24 hours or more since I last ate, so that alone is proving to me my personal link between carbs and hunger.

I'm not going crazy doing VLC days, but it's nice to know I can!
Old 06-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #1027
Junior LCF Member

I did VLC for 2 months last year (lost 25 lbs, which was great), but I felt lousy. Was never hungry, but I felt like crap. I'm definitely carb sensitive, so thats why I like to keep my RM carbs at about 100 grams.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #1028
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: olderthandirt
Tara1970, Thank you for the welcome.
All the advice is appreciated.
Am going to be lurking and reading until my books arrive.
Since I eat low carb anyway I think the transition will be fairly easy.
I just haven't been 100% strict like is needed on Atkins.
I want the RM, even though a small reward is plenty.
I normally eat one meal a day in the evening hours.
Atkins keeps the appetite way down.
I do low carb, high fat, medium protein mostly.
I'm 70 years old and want to live another 30 at least.
My mother is 92 and I believe 100 is quite possible.
Take care of your health and body now.
It will take care of you in years to come.
olderthandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:12 AM   #1029
Junior LCF Member

Tara1970, how often do you measure your waist? That's where I carry most of my weight. I measure about once/week. I've also been finishing my RM in about 45 min. lately.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:20 AM   #1030
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty~girl View Post
Tara1970, how often do you measure your waist? That's where I carry most of my weight. I measure about once/week. I've also been finishing my RM in about 45 min. lately.
I've been a bit patchy with it but recently I've been waking up feeling slimmer and visibly less puffy round my lower belly (my worst bit even when I was at a BMI of 20) and yet not always seeing the scales moving, so I started measuring instead, which is more inspiring, and plan to do it daily - from tomorrow!

I take two measurements, because I don't have 'rock-hard abs' - one pulled in as far as possible, and this is first thing before I even have a sip of water, and the second kind of not pulling in at all - I'm also doing 100 abdominal 'pull-ins' just lying on one side when I wake up MOST mornings, I'm a fan of Callanetics and targeting exercises with small movements and I did increase muscle tone by this method years ago, so I take 2 measurements to track how well I'm doing with toning, and general midriff fat-loss.

Today being Sunday I thought I'd give myself a break from the tyranny of numbers, and just enjoy the fact I'm on-plan, have plans printed out in my diary for things like evening events where a glass of wine might be a nice idea (VLC all day, any wine drunk within 60 mins) and so on.

Today's food - coffee & 75ml cream at breakfast, my very-low-carb tuna melt with salad and bouillon for late lunch in a couple of hours, followed by green tea with a tablespoon of cream and 2 chunks (7g) 85% black chocolate, all of which comes in just under 20g carbs, then ideally not much else except for black teas afterwards - I want to get the week off to a good start tomorrow!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #1031
Senior LCF Member

PS does anyone know if there's a way to measure whether coffee and/or caffeine trigger much release of insulin in your own body? I think people's sensitivities vary a lot, and I don't feel like they do with me, but I want a liveable workable lifestyle here and I don't want to be undermining myself without realising.

I've tried going caffeine free in the past and didn't get anything from it, except missing the slight lift in the morning, so I don't want to stop unless there's a reason... any ideas?
Old 06-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #1032
Senior LCF Member

I tried going caffeine free for two weeks when I was doing vlc and saw no difference in cravings or losses. Only missed my caffeine lol. So I still drink my diet soda all day.

Down 1.0 this morning

Yesterday...
Breakfast CM- coffee with 2% milk
Lunch RM- toasted 6 inch turkey/bacon sub sandwich, big handful of chips, huge chunk of butterscotch tiramisu and diet soda all day
Old 06-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #1033
Bike Tart

Just got home from our weekend visit to our son and family. I think I did great where meals are concerned. Today's RM was on the road....stopped at a fast food place....got a bunless burger, shared fries with DH and then went to Wendy's across the road for a small frosty to enjoy when we got back on the road. Finished all within about 40 minutes, I think.

Tomorrow my RM will be at noon. I'm having the women in my family over for lunch...we call it the Old Lady Lunch/Swim. No swimming this time because it's not warm enough but we'll eat outside and enjoy the nice weather. About 15 years ago we started doing this and my niece who was 5 years old at the time started calling it the Old Lady Swim and that's what we've called it since then. Aunts, cousins, sister....all varying ages but all including in the OLS.....we try to do it at least once a summer but this year I hope we can do it more often!

We gladly feast on those who would subdue us! - Addams Family Creed

My Facebook
Old 06-16-2014, 06:22 AM   #1034
Senior LCF Member

This morning I was 151.4 and showed no loss or gain as of yesterday. I'm OK with that, because my RM yesterday was salty.
My weekly average was a 2.8 lb loss, from the previous week, but....
my total loss was 4.8 lbs (<< and I'm still in shock over this) due to the fact I had gone off plan and pigged out from last Mon-Wed and gained. I was 156.2 on the 12th, but I got right back on track and lost.
2.8 lbs and I got to eat what I wanted, was never hungry and didn't crave a thing! I'm so excited Also lost 1/2 inch off my waist!

Yesterday
Breakfast CM- coffee w/ 2% milk
Lunch RM- 2 Fried chicken strips, 3 tater logs, 1/2 cup baked beans, 1/2 cup cole slaw, one roll, and finished it all off with blackberry cobbler for dessert. Don't ya just love a good Sunday meal?

Hoping for a 2 lb loss this week to get me out of the 150's.

Good luck to everyone this week!
Old 06-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #1035
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mayflowers
Stats: 201/197/140
WOE: Low Carb/CAD/Atkins Mix Up
Start Date: 4/13/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karegado View Post
I tried going caffeine free for two weeks when I was doing vlc and saw no difference in cravings or losses. Only missed my caffeine lol. So I still drink my diet soda all day.
OMG..you shouldn't be drinking diet soda! It's directly linked to brain tumors in mice! My mother was a big aspartame fan (Equal) and consumed it in breath savers and fudgicals and she died of a brain tumor!
I stay away from all artificial sweeteners except stevia which is natural.

BTW, you don't measure portions on the RM just eat till your satisfied. (this is the first book) The other books talk of 1/3 of each protein, carbs and green vegetables if you want more.

Last edited by Mayflowers; 06-16-2014 at 07:10 AM..
Mayflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #1036
Senior LCF Member

Sorry about your mother.

I don't measure portions for the sake of counting. I post amounts just to track what I had in my RM that kept me full and satisfied. I never measure to limit myself. I also never balance my RM. I haven't had to yet. If it gets to the point I'm not losing, I'll consider balancing.
~~~~~~~~~

Started back on CAD on May 26th at 154 lbs. 21 days in and with all the small ups and downs, water retention and slipping off plan for 3 or 4 days, I've lost a total of about 2.6 lbs. That's nearly 1 lb a week and exactly what I wanted and expected.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #1037
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Hi, gals!

I just wanted to check in. This move is really dragging out, and I'm starting to get a little anxious. I was hoping to finish before my parents came to visit or while they were here, but instead we ended up pigging out all weekend at Ruth's Chris and the Cheesecake Factory. I was really surprised when I stepped on the scale this morning and was 107.8 because I did not stay on plan after Thursday. Friday and Saturday were complete binge fests, and I watched it a bit yesterday, but I didn't think it was enough to undo some of the damage from Friday and Saturday.

I'm guessing that this diet has just made me eat less over time because I certainly did not follow the RM rules this weekend. I'm going to be strict the next couple of days, but it looks like this WOE instills some sneaky good habits in you!
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #1038
Senior LCF Member

Great news Kat! You've always been my inspiration for CAD and my proof that it isn't a fad diet. I just love reading about your success
Old 06-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #1039
Bike Tart

Congrats, Kat!

Scale is up for me but expected since all the travel time in the car always makes me swell up. Once that's gone the true numbers will show....I hope!

Working on the food for today's lunch with all the ladies of the family. It will be open faced tea sandwiches, salad, some appetizers and whatever everyone else brings. I have no clue other than one Aunt is bringing a dessert! We have a beautiful day for eating out in the yard! And I'm going to completely enjoy this RM!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #1040
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Trying to find ways to help with CAD eating in my world, sometimes.

Long weekend horse show........several hours in the saddle, lots of walking/packing, and I am stiff and sore this morning!!! But I did SlimFast BF powder for mornings, and just kept one shook up all day long, so instead of grabbing a munchy, I drank some shake. That seemed to help make it all day long until time to eat that one RM each day.

Avoided potluck, ice cream social, and manicotti fundraiser.......... so I consider the weekend an eating success.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #1041
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
I drink diet sodas all day long.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #1042
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers View Post
OMG..you shouldn't be drinking diet soda! It's directly linked to brain tumors in mice! My mother was a big aspartame fan (Equal) and consumed it in breath savers and fudgicals and she died of a brain tumor!
I stay away from all artificial sweeteners except stevia which is natural.

BTW, you don't measure portions on the RM just eat till your satisfied. (this is the first book) The other books talk of 1/3 of each protein, carbs and green vegetables if you want more.
I go by the first book too....
Old 06-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #1043
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I did VLC for 2 months last year (lost 25 lbs, which was great), but I felt lousy. Was never hungry, but I felt like crap. I'm definitely carb sensitive, so thats why I like to keep my RM carbs at about 100 grams.
I tried the Intermittent Fasting, which is similar to CAD but not the same. What you describe is exactly how I felt with IF eating, also. I was ok for couple weeks, and lost weight, but felt really run down. I feel CAD is still the best solution for me, also.............but one does need to stay on plan, or it wont work......
Old 06-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #1044
Senior LCF Member

I keep mentioning that my RM's aren't balanced. Looking back on my food logs, they all include a protein, a veggie of some sort that may or may not be low carb, a grain that's either a bread or a sweet, and usually something from the dairy group which includes ice cream
I chose this plan because it is not a low carb diet/woe. Been there, done that... stayed weak, hungry and grouchy.
I guess what I mean when I say, "not balanced" is that although I do eat my veggies, I very rarely have a salad before or during my RM unless I go out to eat, or eat my favorite meal of a taco salad.
But, I don't spend my entire RM hour pigging out on a gallon of ice cream alone.
I'm doing more CAD than CALP, and more like Rachael Heller when she first started. If my meal isn't balanced enough for anyone who is reading, I'm sorry. This is my way on CAD. It seems to work well for me so far.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #1045
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
I tried the Intermittent Fasting, which is similar to CAD but not the same. What you describe is exactly how I felt with IF eating, also. I was ok for couple weeks, and lost weight, but felt really run down. I feel CAD is still the best solution for me, also.............but one does need to stay on plan, or it wont work......
I've been IFing for a month now and don't feel bad yet; I hope I don't in the future. My one meal/day is at 2:00 pm and it's eaten within 60 minutes. I like eating this way for the health benefits and not having to think about food except once/day.

Tara1970, thanks for the info on the waist measurements, I think I'll start doing that too.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #1046
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karegado View Post
I'm doing more CAD than CALP, and more like Rachael Heller when she first started. If my meal isn't balanced enough for anyone who is reading, I'm sorry. This is my way on CAD. It seems to work well for me so far.
I agree, I'm doing the same and it works well for me.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #1047
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I agree, I'm doing the same and it works well for me.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #1048
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cali girl
Stats: 213/186/135 (5'7"- 57yrs)
Hi all,
I have been on and off plan, I have my son and family at my house
and its been crazy. I just wanted to say hi and I will be posting
more soon
Cali girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #1049
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WordWhimsy
Stats: 5'6" 156/155/135
WOE: CAD
Start Date: June 2014
Hello! I'm Nicole, and I've done this diet semi-successfully (lost 10#, then fell off the wagon, before started high 140s, ended up close to goal of high 130s) in the past.

Now I'm overshot my high 140s and am now mid 150s (the horrors ) I know I'm still at a sort-of OK for my height 5'6" but feel uncomfortable and would be much happier at my goal of 130s.

I am happy to have found this message board for accountability.

I have a cruise in October and my goal is to be in the 130s by then.
WordWhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #1050
Senior LCF Member

Nicole!
You and I are close in weight and goal. I hate counting, too. That's why I love CAD. Hang with us and post updates. We have a nice little group here.

Cali girl, look forward to hearing more from you.