Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #991
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alliejon
Stats: 320.8/316.4/145
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Start Date: October 2013
Woohoo!! I am down a total of 5 pounds!! I still have to lose a few more just to get back to my profile weight!! But I'm off to a good start. I've been doing RM lunch again, which I'm a little scared of - because I fear I will want to eat all day afterward... But I'm trying to stay busy in the evenings and wait until I'm hungry to eat. So far so good...
alliejon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #992
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cali girl
Stats: 213/186/135 (5'7"- 57yrs)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept.1st.2014 - 191lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliejon View Post
Woohoo!! I am down a total of 5 pounds!! I still have to lose a few more just to get back to my profile weight!! But I'm off to a good start. I've been doing RM lunch again, which I'm a little scared of - because I fear I will want to eat all day afterward... But I'm trying to stay busy in the evenings and wait until I'm hungry to eat. So far so good...
Congratulations, that awesome 5 pounds is major!
Cali girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #993
Senior LCF Member

Kat, it's funny how you never know what that darn scale will say.
To lose without really trying is great! That way when you over eat
a little it will all balance out.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #994
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TootsieRoll
Stats: 152.6/148.4 /130
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: 09/16/2014
Congrats to all the "losers" this week!
I've not been on plan since Sunday. I have relatives visiting and I eat when we all get the urge to go out or to grab something and that's all day long. I last weighed yesterday morning and was still at the same puffy/water weight I've been at all week. I plan to get back on track tomorrow, so I will update my stats with my new starting weight and begin again I figure I have gained about 5 lbs but it was worth it to enjoy meals with my family and guests. I know how to lose it and I'm not worried one bit. I CAD
TootsieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #995
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Kat, you gotta give us more details! You go maintenance girl! Did you end up going to Taco Bell? What did you get that day? Are you upping your rm lunches now? I love your menus. If you have time you must post more. Exercise?
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #996
Major LCF Poster!

Kat, have you been having cheat days during your move or have you been perfectly on plan with a rm lunch and your cm dinners?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:58 AM   #997
Senior LCF Member

156.0 this morning. I gained 5.2 since Saturday, but I'm not stressed. I did not gain because I ate strictly low carb and can't understand what I did wrong. I gained because I overate a little for 3 days in a row. I know that all I have to do to lose is eat within the one hour for my RM and the weight will come back off. I know I won't be hungry nor will I be left with a craving for foods that are off limits because nothing is off limits. That's the best part of doing CAD.
Today is a new day...

Breakfast CM- Coffee with 2% milk
Old 06-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #998
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karegado View Post
156.0 this morning. I gained 5.2 since Saturday, but I'm not stressed. I did not gain because I ate strictly low carb and can't understand what I did wrong. I gained because I overate a little for 3 days in a row. I know that all I have to do to lose is eat within the one hour for my RM and the weight will come back off. I know I won't be hungry nor will I be left with a craving for foods that are off limits because nothing is off limits. That's the best part of doing CAD.
Today is a new day...

Breakfast CM- Coffee with 2% milk
I here you on the over eating, I lost 2 pounds from yesterday,
but it's 2 from the 3 I gained being little miss piggy earlier.

Yesterday B: black coffee
L: 2 eggs & 4 bacon
D: sloppy Joe's & fries (made them for DH)
Old 06-12-2014, 05:38 AM   #999
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali girl View Post
I here you on the over eating, I lost 2 pounds from yesterday,
but it's 2 from the 3 I gained being little miss piggy earlier.
CAD is such a forgiving lifestyle Don't ya just love it?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #1000
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
CAD is such a forgiving lifestyle Don't ya just love it?
I know Right!
When I was low carbing, if I went off plan I felt like I pretty much
screwed up. The whole 48-hour thing, so I thought oh well and ate
more carbs.

With CAD I just start back the next day or the next day.... well you
get my point

When you quote someone, how do you only use only part of the quote?
I'm pretty old school and don't know a lot about how to do this
Old 06-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #1001
Senior LCF Member

Exactly. No struggling to get back into ketosis or whatever. Just jump back in!

I just delete the part of the quote I don't want to show up in the quote. But be careful to not remove the brackets and such. Just the words typed by the poster.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #1002
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
Kat, have you been having cheat days during your move or have you been perfectly on plan with a rm lunch and your cm dinners?
Not in the least. I'm going to try to get better about having fewer cheat days, but I've basically been eating what I want when I want for the past couple of weeks with a couple of on plan days a week. I'm planning to change that after the move finishes and we can stock the house with my favorite foods and stop going out to eat so much.

My parents are coming to help with the move today, so hoping it will be over soon and I can go back to normal.

107.8 today, by the way, after eating sushi and before that a sandwich, chips, and a dove dark chocolate ice cream bar.
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #1003
Major LCF Poster!

Seriously, Kat? So you must have been eating really low calorie in order to keep your weight down. Are your amounts pretty small?

You know it seems to me that higher fat brings the weight down and satisfies me. If I eat a lot of fruit I gain weight. I have done trial and error with this time and time again. If I eat ice cream I lose. Weird. If I fast and don't exercise I lose. Hmmmm.

Last edited by oriana; 06-12-2014 at 07:44 AM..
Old 06-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #1004
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=Karegado;16941477]Exactly. No struggling to get back into ketosis or whatever. Just jump back in!

Thanks Karegado,
Thought I would try it.

Yes the ketosis, I really don't feel right kind of cranky. I also don't sleep
good. I think the thing that gets me the most is not being able
to get what I want at a restaurant & eat what the family does at get-togethers.
I don't like to talk diet and with CAD I don't have to
Old 06-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #1005
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Another successful day yesterday and so far today. I'm in the middle of prepping food to take along for the weekend to visit son and family. We'll stop at a rest area for a picnic on the way and then over the weekend I'll be sure to have food I can eat for the CMs.....another picnic on the way home if I have leftovers!

I need to go on the old dinosaur desktop computer and see if I still have my lists of CM foods...so much easier to just have the list instead of constantly referring to the book!

Cal girl, I hear ya about talking diet....I just don't want to do it. My MIL always wants to talk diet and she's a tiny little old woman. I have other family members that did low carb before a recent cruise but not sure they are still doing it. Anyways, I just don't like talking diet with anyone I know.....except for a couple of friends and my husband and oldest son.

We gladly feast on those who would subdue us! - Addams Family Creed

My Facebook
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #1006
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tara1970
Stats: 176/158/Happy@140/Ideal@128
WOE: CAD/One Meal A Day/Gluten Free
Hi, I'm new here but not to CAD... had a lot of adventures in dieting plus long periods of successful maintenance but my weight crept up again recently so I'm trying out CAD, only I'm trying the version Rachael (bless her!) first discovered, of one meal a day, maybe not so 'balanced ' (but not a big choccie bingefest either) and black teas or water for the rest of the day.

This time I'm not sabotaging it by 'needing' milk in teas and coffees coz I weaned myself off milk entirely prior to beginning! I don't know how far I'll get with this plan but it's more CAD's controlled carb than low-carb or 'one meal a day' so hope it's okay to post here, I read the entire thread so far...

Yesterday's meals were black tea @ breakfast, tuna and cheddar melt with salad and veg bouillon for lunch, and 2 squares of dark 85% cocoa chocolate, then just more tea - I try to throw in one very-low-carb day a week as well.

It's going okay so far and I've lost 5lbs since starting CAD on the 1st, would have been more except I dived into a tub of ice-cream at the weekend as a result of too much wine, going over my Golden Hour, and losing self-control a bit. This morning I've got a huge mug of black tea... yum!

My RMs so far (which I have at midday) have been meat with gravy and at least 3 veg, usually broccoli, cauliflower and carrots or green beans, followed by dessert, I don't eat anything with gluten in and my desserts are mainly gluten-free choc-chip muffins and maybe an apple or whatever with a bit of cheddar afterwards, so it's more sugary than some choices but I turn into a whiny baby if that sort of thing's off the menu forever.

I try to mainly eat fresh whole foods and my only regular 'bad guys' are Bisto gravy granules, about one tablespoonful if I make gravy (it has MSG in but I can't be perfect), and various gluten-free baked goods, everything else is cooked from scratch. Oh, and chocolate Philadelphia soft cheese, with berry coulis on top... but that really IS the lot!

Anyway hello!

Last edited by Tara1970; 06-12-2014 at 11:17 PM..
Tara1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #1007
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliejon View Post
I've been doing RM lunch again, which I'm a little scared of - because I fear I will want to eat all day afterward...
I have my RM at lunch, evenings I find it harder to switch off eating-mode and I'm usually too tired to have much will-power left. I'd rather go to bed hungry than try to deal with telling a hungry TIRED whiny Me she can't have the rest of the packet of muffins and has to stop eating now! A nice hot cup of tea works wonders.

My big triggers to over-indulge in anything are 'deservedness' and 'poor me' ('I've had a hard day, I DESERVE it just this once') and stuff like that so I do better having my RM early then not even having to open the discussion at night, I have some cheese or cold meat if I'm really desperate, or a low-carb veg stock cube made into bouillon.

I usually brush my teeth about 10 minutes after finishing my RM, and apply this scented lipbalm stuff I have, it won't 'stop' me eating but it's a reminder that that particular part of the day's over for another 23 hours, don't know if this old trick would work for you as well?
Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 AM   #1008
Senior LCF Member

PS sorry to put three posts in a row but I found I couldn't edit my first one once I put another, anyway i just wanted to say I think carb addiction IS exactly like any other addiction, because I notice it trying to sneak thoughts into completely unrelated ideas.

For example I haven't really been eating 'complementary meals' but the few times I had a bit of cheese or cold meat, 'it' (the voice of the addiction) wanted to sneak in some broccoli, which is going to be too high-carb (not on the CM-Safe List at all) and is evidently my brain trying to get its 'fix' by offering up images of something 'healthy'...

In fact I found if I crave it, whatever it is, it's usually high enough in carbs to not be on their list nor suitable for a very-low-carb diet. It's like some nasty thing in my head WANTS that sneaky rush of insulin outside my RM Golden Hour, to create stronger cravings for something even more starchy or sweet, because eventually I'll give in.

Anyway this probably isn't a breakthrough to most people but I did see some posts further back of people saying about adding cherry tomatoes and a few other things that are either limited (half one regular tomato max on CMs) or just outright dodgy like broccoli, and I wondered if anyone else had these occasional pervasive thoughts or temptations to add unsafe stuff to their CMs?

My mottos for CAD is this - 'If you CRAVE it, SAVE it - for the RM!'

Secondly since I'm here has anyone tried alternating regular-carb RMs with very-low-carb days?

I did that last week and got a 'whoosh' of 2lbs lost overnight, then did it yesterday and saw 1/2lb gone overnight, I'm thinking of maybe having 2 days a week @ <20g carbs, and I'm currently not limiting them (aside from common sense) at my other RMs. I'll be really happy at 140lbs but 128lbs is my dream goal, and I'm thinking of maybe trying this to 140lbs if I can handle it and then going back to regularly-carby RMs 7 days a week...

I know the Hellers said to not combine this with other diet plans but I interpreted that as meaning plans that would lead to eating carbs MORE often, and anyway I disagree with their recommendation to keep CM's 'low fat' - that was just the absolute God Of Dietary Fads at that time, as was high-fibre. I don't think it's necessary since the whole point of CMs is to limit CARBS not fat, but back then people actually thought fat was toxic so whatever.

Just wondered if anyone else has these kinds of thoughts or ideas, I'll probably try this out and see how it works.

Last edited by Tara1970; 06-13-2014 at 12:43 AM..
Old 06-13-2014, 04:43 AM   #1009
Senior LCF Member

Good morning! Back on track!
I woke up 1.8 lbs lighter

Yesterday...
Breakfast CM- Coffee with 2% milk (I don't measure)
Lunch RM- Vegetable soup, 7 triscuits with whipped cream cheese, 6 cookies, & a cup of ice cream.
Dinner CM- Grilled fish with a salad.
I drank Diet Pepsi all day.

I never have a dinner cm but we went out for dinner and I couldn't just sit there.

My RM's are never balanced.

Tara1970
Old 06-13-2014, 05:40 AM   #1010
Senior LCF Member

Hi Tara,
I think your plan sounds really good I will also do a very
low carb day especially after a day off plan. It just makes me feel
better.

Sometimes I will eat low carb just because I like the food. My favorite
meal is Buffalo chicken wings.

I was eating one meal a day, but sometimes find I get just to hungry
especially after I exercise. I am trying to exercise 3 days a week.
That is what led me to CAD, that I could have a protein lunch and
be on my plan.

I also do fast 5, eating window is 12:30 to 5:30 so I to am doing
different plans.

I only wish that I would crave broccoli, if I crave it's usually junk food

Anyway
Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #1011
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good morning! Back on track!
I woke up 1.8 lbs lighter

Yesterday...
Breakfast CM- Coffee with 2% milk (I don't measure)
Lunch RM- Vegetable soup, 7 triscuits with whipped cream cheese, 6 cookies, & a cup of ice cream.
Dinner CM- Grilled fish with a salad.
I drank Diet Pepsi all day.

I never have a dinner cm but we went out for dinner and I couldn't just sit there.

My RM's are never balanced.

Tara1970
Hey girl, 1.8 is fantastic

Your RM sounds yummy now I'm craving ice cream
although not sure I could stop at 1 cup
Old 06-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #1012
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali girl View Post
Hey girl, 1.8 is fantastic

Your RM sounds yummy now I'm craving ice cream
although not sure I could stop at 1 cup
Thanks. I usually have 2 cups. There was only 1 cup left yesterday
Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 AM   #1013
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks. I usually have 2 cups. There was only 1 cup left yesterday
You crack me up, always giving me a laugh in the morning
Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #1014
Major LCF Poster!

Tara I only eat one meal a day and it isn't balanced plus I eat a lot of fat.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #1015
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
Tara I only eat one meal a day and it isn't balanced plus I eat a lot of fat.
Thank you guys for the warm welcome and Oriana, your posts have been a huge part of what inspired me to join, because I've been reading pages online about CAD ever since the end of last month, and this thread is SO epically informative and fun to read!

I just ordered the 1972 Atkins book, because I was extremely curious after reading on here how the concepts in it got 'watered down' towards higher carb levels in subsequent editions.

I guess in some ways it reminds me of the way the Hellers, people who I truly and sincerely bless the heavens for sending to us, immediately set about 'watering down' Rachael's plan to make it resemble the low-fat, frequent-eating and snack-oriented diets fashionable at that point in time. I don't know what else they could have done, so I'm not criticising them as people or medics, they had to work with what was honestly believed at the time!

I don't think I would WANT to do without carbs, from veg to chocolate, if I'm completely honest and that's why CAD is what I'm aiming at, but it seems to me that ground-breaking low-carb plans (almost ANTI-carb, as in 'carbs are NOT your saviour from body-fat') like Atkins & Rachael's original description of her diet get watered down progressively towards more carbs, more veg (especially) and so on...

Or that could just be me, anyway I did try a prolonged period eating meat and non-starchy veg almost exclusively, keeping my carbs round about 50 - 80g, and that helped me get the worst off but then I started 'budgeting' those grams so that a fair chunk of it was chocolate, so that's why I made the decision to go back to CAD, and the version of it (as I understand it) that allows the greatest opportunity for including those things in a non-destructive way.

I lost my mum a while ago and my food-based memories of her were the delicious meat & 3 veg meals with gravy she cooked most nights of the week, and the bar of chocolate she'd bring me home when she finished work (I was a really skinny kid), and while I know those things aren't worth making myself sick for, if I can possibly keep 'em, I want to!

I also never made a thing of eating regular small meals, that was disastrous the one time I tried, so I think this version of CAD plays to my strengths - I'll happily go hungry if I know I'm soon going to get a fairly unrestricted access to the things I want.

While I love the concept of myself as some sort of steely-willed sugar-free low-carber, and I admire people who can live that lifestyle, the reality is that while I don't have problems with emotional eating, my emotions feel the impact when I try to go too hardcore, and while that's not ideal we have to work with what we have... that's my logic right now anyway!

'The imperfect plan you can follow is better than the perfect plan that's doomed to fail...'

But time will tell!

Sorry if I'm rambling - just excited about the progress so far and also for finding a WOE I can reaslly live with, and like a few people here have said I don't like to talk diets with most people, especially not ones who'd think this version of CAD was odd!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #1016
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kitty~girl
Hi all,

I've been lurking for about a month; decided I would jump in today. I've read the 2013 & 2014 CAD hangout threads and find them very motivating.

I started CAD on 5.5.14 weighing 187.6; I'm 5'5". In 5 1/2 weeks I've lost 10.2 lbs. For the past 4 weeks, I've been eating just 1 meal/day (RM) at 2:00 pm. For the past 5 days my meal has consisted of 1 lb of steamed red potatoes, 4 T of butter, diced ham, and 3 oz of cheese melted on top. For dessert I have 3 Glutino chocolate wafers. In the 5 days of eating this meal, I've lost 3.6 lbs. I thought that potatoes might make me gain, but I'm pleasantly surprised. They are very filling too. Also at 8:00 pm, I have a giant mug of unsweetened hot cocoa, with 3 T of HWC, which I sweeten with stevia. This takes care of the few hunger pains that I get at night. All total, I consume about 1500 cal/day.

I hope it's okay that I posted all of this information in my first post. I like to see what works for other people. I love this WOE and plan to make it a lifestyle.

Last edited by kitty~girl; 06-13-2014 at 12:41 PM..
kitty~girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #1017
Senior LCF Member

Hi kitty~girl. Welcome! Great job on your losses.
I love to see the menu of everyone here. My lunch RM is never balanced. I usually only eat once a day and when I do, I intend to enjoy every bite! I try to not count calories at all, but curiosity gets me sometimes and I average 1300-2000 most of the time. Keep posting your meals, please. It's great to see that we can all eat different things and still lose with CAD.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #1018
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: olderthandirt
Are any of you Type 1 diabetics.
I've been low carb, high fat, for some time and I've been reading about this plan.
I think it would work well for me.
Is it really based on the amount of insulin released by the body.
I've had my pancreas removed and have no insulin released by nature.
Perhaps my liver does throw at times.
I've ordered all 3 books and hope to learn more.
olderthandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #1019
Senior LCF Member

Down another 1.8 lbs this morning 3.6 in two days is unbelievable aint it? I have 2 scales, side by side and they both confirmed.

I had my favorite meal yesterday and I always have a loss after eating it.

Breakfast- Coffee with 2% milk

Lunch RM- Taco Salad, few chips and salsa, a big chunk of butterscotch tiramisu, and diet soda all day.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #1020
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt View Post
Is it really based on the amount of insulin released by the body.
I'm no doctor, nor am I an expert on CAD, but I truly believe it is based on timed insulin release. I have never been a big eater. The amounts I eat now for my RM, I used to eat throughout the day. I was an all day nibbler. I find that when I stick to the one hour time limit, I am losing!