Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 06:03 AM   #961
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karegado
Stats: 154/148.6 (-5.75 inches)/144
WOE: CAD (original)
Start Date: 05/26/2014
I'm up 1.6 this morning. I didn't drink enough fluids yesterday and not one glass of unsweetened tea in the last three days. The tea helps a lot for me so I'm going to brew a gallon this morning. My rings are tight and even my toes feel puffy

Yesterdays Lunch RM was 2 cups of homemade seafood gumbo with 3 southern style (no sugar) corn bread muffins. I didn't intend to have 3 but omg it had been so long since I had cornbread and they were sooooo good! Then I had 4 chewy chocolate chip cookies and an orange creamsicle.

Not stressing about the small gain but I'm going to watch my extra salt intake today. It's also TOM, even though I don't actually have one anymore.
Karegado is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2014, 06:22 AM   #962
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karegado View Post
My point is...even on Atkins and SBD, there were small losses and ups and downs. But it was a struggle! I was eating foods I did not care for and most of the time I dreaded waking up in the mornings knowing what my menu would look like for the day.
makes such a difference following something that makes life tolerable. once we enter maintenance, we CAN eat more, but in all truthfulness, we can never ever eat with wild abandon again. finding something that you can live with comfortably, pleasurably, i think, is one of the major keys to keep the weight off for good. what's not to like about CAD?

i, too, notice gains eating certain things. i'm a meticulous calorie counter, food scale user, and even when i'm well within my perimeters for my allotment for the day, specific foods almost always show up in some sort of gain. white potatoes always do that to me. when i eat out, even though i've gotten the calorie counts from an on-line source, i ALWAYS show a gain. it's frustrating, but par for the course. even though i "try" to remember that it's probably msg, i do get discouraged sometimes.

besides tweaking my woe, keeping a diet diary is of utmost importance. make notations when you try something different, even for just a few days, so you can look back and see what made a difference in the scale. i don't trust my memory beyond one day, plus it's fun to see the overall progress you've made.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #963
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
i, too, notice gains eating certain things. i'm a meticulous calorie counter, food scale user, and even when i'm well within my perimeters for my allotment for the day, specific foods almost always show up in some sort of gain. white potatoes always do that to me. when i eat out, even though i've gotten the calorie counts from an on-line source, i ALWAYS show a gain. it's frustrating, but par for the course. even though i "try" to remember that it's probably msg, i do get discouraged sometimes.
Yes, gains are to be expected and frustrating. I just find it less stressful knowing that it was from a carby food and knowing what I did to cause it, unlike on very low carb when I would show a gain that lasted for weeks and not know why because I was following the plan exactly. I do expect to continue to lose with CAD. I can feel my appetite and cravings getting less every day already
Old 06-07-2014, 06:45 AM   #964
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali girl View Post
We'll I was thinking of only getting on the scale once a week. I did
read in the book about weekly averages, I think I could
handle that better because I like to weigh myself every day. I will have
to read how that's done.
I had just started thinking "average weights" also.

I calculated my avg weight for May was 194.8.

My weekly avg for 1st week in June was 195.0.

Trying to up exercise, so figure little weight this week was water retention late, based on exercise.......
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #965
Big Yapper!!!!

Chia seeds are 5 carbs and 5 gram fiber....... Anyone have an opinion on if these okay in CM? Read peanut butter with chia seeds mixed in are good LC "Pick Me Up" and wondering if anyone uses chia seeds.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #966
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
Chia seeds are 5 carbs and 5 gram fiber....... Anyone have an opinion on if these okay in CM? Read peanut butter with chia seeds mixed in are good LC "Pick Me Up" and wondering if anyone uses chia seeds.
i use chia seeds daily. i put them in a lot of different things. i've heard they're a super food. i can't tell. i use them because they help fill me up, plus they have a bit of fiber.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #967
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cali girl
Stats: 213/193/135
Start Date: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
What a great idea, I like to make a green drink with baby
spinach, almond milk and protein powder (4-carbs). It doesn't fill
me up for long but adding in some chia seeds would add fiber and
keep me full.

I don't know if it would be to many carbs for a CM with the 4 already in it. I am going to try it anyway. I'm not sure how many were allowed with a CM.

Thanks for the idea plus I already have some in my freezer.
Cali girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #968
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
What a great idea, I like to make a green drink with baby
spinach, almond milk and protein powder (4-carbs). It doesn't fill
me up for long but adding in some chia seeds would add fiber and
keep me full.

I don't know if it would be to many carbs for a CM with the 4 already in it. I am going to try it anyway. I'm not sure how many were allowed with a CM.

Thanks for the idea plus I already have some in my freezer.
some people go with the carb count used of Carbs less carbs from Fiber........if that counts, chia seeds would be a zero carb.......................

Still working on experimenting to see what works for my body...but it would be easier to be full and keep carb count down, if the carbs from fiber don't affect like a regular carb...
Old 06-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #969
Senior LCF Member

Up 1.3 today. I was off plan yesterday. I didn't feel well and had 2 RM's. Lotsa junk :/
Not stressing it If I only lose 1 pound a week, I will be happy because I did it painlessly lol. I chose this woe because of the freedom and flexibility. I expect better, more consistent losses as my carb cravings subside. I can feel that happening every day lately.

Today's lunch RM was 2 salmon patties, cup of fried okra w/no breading, cup of hash browns with ketchup, 4 cookies and ice cream. No CM planned because I'm still stuffed.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #970
Senior LCF Member

No loss, no gain this morning. That's a good thing and I'm still waiting for all this water and puffiness to disappear.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #971
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Day one and I'm doing good. I didn't have breakfast because I slept late and decided I'd rather wait a bit and have lunch with DH before he went to work. Lunch was beef strips and a salad.

DH works overnight so it's just me for dinner. I'll be having a ribeye and probably some roasted veggies as well as some salad.

I won't be eating grains because they don't agree with me and I doubt I'll eat much sugar because it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm using my RM for higher carb veggies and some fruits. I'll also be making gf breads or muffins now and then to have with my RM.

I plan on spending some time tonight making foods for the week that can be used for CMs and also for RMs....

We gladly feast on those who would subdue us! - Addams Family Creed

My Facebook
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:44 AM   #972
Senior LCF Member

Hi all,
I've been off plan for a couple days. Gained 3 pounds.

I'm not going to worry about it, but I'm glad I'm right back to it.
I am averaging my weight now so it's not as stressful when I gain.

Black coffee for breakfast not sure about the rest of the day..

When I go off plan like I did, I feel like I want to do very low carb today
to make up for all the junk I ate! Does anyone ever feel like that?
Not sure what I will eat today, I'm thinking eggs and chicken but it's early
mornings now and you know how things change!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:23 AM   #973
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hi all,
I've been off plan for a couple days. Gained 3 pounds.

I'm not going to worry about it, but I'm glad I'm right back to it.
I am averaging my weight now so it's not as stressful when I gain.

Black coffee for breakfast not sure about the rest of the day..

When I go off plan like I did, I feel like I want to do very low carb today
to make up for all the junk I ate! Does anyone ever feel like that?
Not sure what I will eat today, I'm thinking eggs and chicken but it's early
mornings now and you know how things change!
Yeah, I know the feeling!!!! One-day gains are salt/water, in my world. It will go away fast for you.

Yesterday I ended up road trip with DH, and restaurant we stopped at has huge tenderloin and fries. I had forgotten how much was on that plate!!! Luckily I had skipped BF yesterday, and the scale didn't go up this morning.

And lunch meeting today, so did eggs with chia seeds for BF. Need to plan at least a light supper tonight.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #974
Senior LCF Member

Iakaren,
You probably didn't gain because of the huge tenderloin you had with the fries.
I do try to eat a large amount of protein even when I screw up and eat to
many carbs.

Chia in eggs..... Another great idea. Don't think I EVER would have thought of that
Old 06-10-2014, 06:06 AM   #975
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagiff View Post
Day one and I'm doing good. I didn't have breakfast because I slept late and decided I'd rather wait a bit and have lunch with DH before he went to work. Lunch was beef strips and a salad.

DH works overnight so it's just me for dinner. I'll be having a ribeye and probably some roasted veggies as well as some salad.

I won't be eating grains because they don't agree with me and I doubt I'll eat much sugar because it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm using my RM for higher carb veggies and some fruits. I'll also be making gf breads or muffins now and then to have with my RM.

I plan on spending some time tonight making foods for the week that can be used for CMs and also for RMs....

I certainly wish sugar didn't appeal to me. With any kind of sweet food
I have a hard time stopping once I start to eat it. I try not to eat
sweets to often because of this.

I also started this woe so I could have more than meat and vegetables,
also fruit does the same as sugar to me.
I wish I like to bake like you with the bread and muffins but I'm lazy
and just like to grab and eat
Old 06-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #976
Bike Tart

Thanks, Cali girl! I don't bake often and usually it's just the single serving size muffin. I keep thinking I want to do more but I don't want it enough to do it!

I had a good first day back to CAD. I got some groceries yesterday so I'm prepared.

CAD is the first controlled carb plan I did back in the late 90's. I had good success with it but them life got in the way. I stayed low carb but more of a general low carb. Had some health issues and gained back what I lost and it just seemed that all I could do with general low carb was maintain. So I'm giving CAD a go again and I'm looking forward to seeing some progress!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #977
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks, Cali girl! I don't bake often and usually it's just the single serving size muffin. I keep thinking I want to do more but I don't want it enough to do it!

I had a good first day back to CAD. I got some groceries yesterday so I'm prepared.

CAD is the first controlled carb plan I did back in the late 90's. I had good success with it but them life got in the way. I stayed low carb but more of a general low carb. Had some health issues and gained back what I lost and it just seemed that all I could do with general low carb was maintain. So I'm giving CAD a go again and I'm looking forward to seeing some progress!
So how do you make a single muffin?

Are you going to zero carb all meals then have your extra vegetables with
dinner?

How did you do it in the 90's? When you had success? Did you have carbs
other than vegetables back then or still watched your carbs?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #978
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/109.6/110 as of 08/21/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Hey, gals, just checking in! I weighed today and was at 108.2. A little up from my usual 107.8, so I'm tightening down this week and sticking more faithfully to the plan. Moving is taking much longer than expected. I had hoped to be done this past weekend, and we're still inching along. It's really stressing me out, and I've had waaaaay more cheat days than normal.

I'm just not going to say "forget eating on plan until the moving is over," though, because that is what I'd usually say and then gain 5 pounds back, feel depressed about it, gain 5 more lbs, and then the cycle has started all over again!

Correct me if I'm wrong, those of you who are successfully maintaining, but maintaining seems to be less about being "cured" and more about being much more successful with prevention than you were before. What do you think?

Last edited by KatMck; 06-10-2014 at 07:48 AM..
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #979
Bike Tart

Quote:
So how do you make a single muffin?

Are you going to zero carb all meals then have your extra vegetables with
dinner?

How did you do it in the 90's? When you had success? Did you have carbs
other than vegetables back then or still watched your carbs?
Back when I did it in the late 90's and the first few years of the 2000's I usually did a breakfast of eggs or ham and cream cheese rollups or leftover protein/veggies....lunch was usually protein and a salad....dinner was a protein, salad or veggies (both low and higher carb) and if I had a dessert it was fruit, chocolate or an adult beverage. Back then I also included bread and pasta sometimes but I'm not doing that now due to the way my body reacts to grains I'm not eating them anymore. The only grain that will be included once in a while is corn.

I use the single serve one minute muffin recipes I find online...there are a lot of variations of them. Check out the recipe forum here for them! They only take a few minutes to make and they cook in the microwave. Some are made with flaxmeal, some are with almond flour or coconut flour or a combination of them.

The higher carb veggies that I'll be including now and then will be beets, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, carrots, peas....and occasionally there will be kidney beans if I make chili....

Last edited by mamagiff; 06-10-2014 at 09:01 AM..
Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #980
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
Hey, gals, just checking in! I weighed today and was at 108.2. A little up from my usual 107.8, so I'm tightening down this week and sticking more faithfully to the plan. Moving is taking much longer than expected. I had hoped to be done this past weekend, and we're still inching along. It's really stressing me out, and I've had waaaaay more cheat days than normal.

I'm just not going to say "forget eating on plan until the moving is over," though, because that is what I'd usually say and then gain 5 pounds back, feel depressed about it, gain 5 more lbs, and then the cycle has started all over again!

Correct me if I'm wrong, those of you who are successfully maintaining, but maintaining seems to be less about being "cured" and more about being much more successful with prevention than you were before. What do you think?
Hi Kat,
Your move will be over soon!

I think your doing great, only gaining so little and being under such
stress.

As for maintaining I have no idea, I hope I will have to worry about
that someday. For now I just want to find what works for me and that
I can live with.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #981
Senior LCF Member

Mamagiff,
Thanks for the info. I think I would like the almond or coconut flour
muffins if I could microwave them.

I can't eat baked potatoes anymore, the last time I ate them they acted like
pure sugar they were always my favorite. Now I eat French fries instead
because they don't bother me. My favorite are sweet potato fries but I like
them all.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #982
Bike Tart

Here's the recipe I've been using lately....it makes a bland muffin so you may want to vary the taste with seasonings. I like it bland so I can put different toppings on it.

MIM Biscuit

1 T. Honeyville Almond Flour
1 T. Coconut Flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
Mix these well then add the following
1 T. Mayo
1T. Heavy whipping cream
1 T. Warm water
1 Egg

Mix until there are no lumps, this will be a pretty wet batter.
Split into two ramekins and microwave for 1.5-2 minutes
Remove carefully, split into the desired thickness of biscuits and enjoy!

Here is the thread in the recipe forum for other variations....
1 Minute Muffin

Last edited by mamagiff; 06-10-2014 at 12:12 PM..
Old 06-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #983
Bike Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post

I think you're right....maintenance is just not actively losing....you still have to be very careful about what you eat if you don't want to gain....it's a whole lifestyle change....as in any other diet or food plan you'll gain it all back if you go back to eating how you ate before.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #984
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Here's the recipe I've been using lately....it makes a bland muffin so you may want to vary the taste with seasonings. I like it bland so I can put different toppings on it.

MIM Biscuit

1 T. Honeyville Almond Flour
1 T. Coconut Flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
Mix these well then add the following
1 T. Mayo
1T. Heavy whipping cream
1 T. Warm water
1 Egg

Mix until there are no lumps, this will be a pretty wet batter.
Split into two ramekins and microwave for 1.5-2 minutes
Remove carefully, split into the desired thickness of biscuits and enjoy!

Here is the thread in the recipe forum for other variations....
1 Minute Muffin
Thank you so much

I have everything but the coconut flour, I am going shopping
tomorrow I will look for it.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #985
Bike Tart

If you can't find the coconut flour right away you can probably just use all almond flour....
Old 06-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #986
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
[/B]

I think you're right....maintenance is just not actively losing....you still have to be very careful about what you eat if you don't want to gain....it's a whole lifestyle change....as in any other diet or food plan you'll gain it all back if you go back to eating how you ate before.
I've been maintaining about three months now with relative success and it really has just been continuing to weigh as often as possible and adjusting my intake as needed so that my weight is relatively stable.

Quote:
Hi Kat,
Your move will be over soon!

I think your doing great, only gaining so little and being under such
stress.

As for maintaining I have no idea, I hope I will have to worry about
that someday. For now I just want to find what works for me and that
I can live with.

Thanks so much, Cali girl! After trying countless diets, CAD was the one change I could make that I can stick to pretty much effortlessly. I'm glad you're on the board!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #987
Senior LCF Member

Hi all,
Not to much going on today.
Stayed the same on the scale. I will average my weight later this week.

CM: (yesterday) lunch was 2 chicken roll ups in lettuce w/ mayo & cheese

RM: buffalo chicken wings w/ blue cheese and drinks w/ DH outside on the deck
( it was beautiful weather)

Just got back from Aldi's, they have insect spray for $2.99 I was getting
bit up by mosquitoes there bad this year.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #988
Bike Tart

I had my first RM out last night. Went out to eat with some of my book club girls....Taco Tuesday at a local place. I drove so I used that as the reason I was only having one drink with my meal although I also wouldn't have a problem why I was keeping it all within an hour. Just didn't want to spoil the fun evening with "diet" talk. I had some chips/salsa, steak enchiladas with guacamole, a few bits of beans and a margarita.

Breakfast today was scrambled eggs with cream cheese and a bottle of water.

Going to make a chicken salad for lunch.

Dinner is not planned yet. Have to wait for Hubby to wake up to see what he wants. He works overnights so sleeps most of the morning. I'm thinking he'll be wanting a stir fry which is fine with me! I'll load it with all kinds of veggies!

I'm having some fluid retention issues (I think from the corn tortillas and the chips) so I'm going to work on getting rid of that with water/apple cider vinegar and lemon.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #989
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I had my first RM out last night. Went out to eat with some of my book club girls....Taco Tuesday at a local place. I drove so I used that as the reason I was only having one drink with my meal although I also wouldn't have a problem why I was keeping it all within an hour. Just didn't want to spoil the fun evening with "diet" talk. I had some chips/salsa, steak enchiladas with guacamole, a few bits of beans and a margarita.

Breakfast today was scrambled eggs with cream cheese and a bottle of water.

Going to make a chicken salad for lunch.

Dinner is not planned yet. Have to wait for Hubby to wake up to see what he wants. He works overnights so sleeps most of the morning. I'm thinking he'll be wanting a stir fry which is fine with me! I'll load it with all kinds of veggies!

I'm having some fluid retention issues (I think from the corn tortillas and the chips) so I'm going to work on getting rid of that with water/apple cider vinegar and lemon.
Mamagiff your dinner sounds great, I really love Mexican food.
Especially guacamole!

How much cream cheese to eggs do you eat? I've never ate that combination
before.

How does that water and apple cider vinegar and lemon work? Doesn't sound
to tasty.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #990
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi all,
Not to much going on today.
Stayed the same on the scale. I will average my weight later this week.

CM: (yesterday) lunch was 2 chicken roll ups in lettuce w/ mayo & cheese

RM: buffalo chicken wings w/ blue cheese and drinks w/ DH outside on the deck
( it was beautiful weather)

Just got back from Aldi's, they have insect spray for $2.99 I was getting
bit up by mosquitoes there bad this year.
Yum! I love buffalo wings, and eating them outside makes it even nicer! I had some wings myself yesterday, although not delicious buffalo wings.

Today I was 106.8 and I am kind of scratching my head. I did stick pretty closely to the plan yesterday, but I guess I'm just not as up as I thought I was. Maybe I'm subliminally watching it more than I think I am now. That would be quite a change, since it used to be the other way around. I would always think there was no way I was eating *that* much, but the scale was telling a different story!