Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Janelle112289
Hey everyone,
I've being doing CAD since October, with slip-ups here and there but have managed to keep off about 5 pounds. I have another 10 pounds to lose, though. I used CAD to lose about 10 pounds a few years ago when I was a senior in college, and looking back at how easy it was to turn into a lifestyle, I'm back on it. However, because of hormonal issues, I am fairly 'Paleo' in that I do not eat any processed foods, refined sugars, most grains, or dairy. My RMs mostly consist of meat, green veg, and carbs coming from plantains, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, fruit, and sometimes white rice since it is regarded to be a 'safe starch'. I will also often bake Paleo goods to add more calories/carbs to my RMs. I read each and every post from the 2013 thread and feel so ready to tackle this again, post-holiday mishaps! I'm also pretty active on the facebook CAD/CALP page.
Janelle112289 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #62
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle112289 View Post
Hey everyone,
I've being doing CAD since October, with slip-ups here and there but have managed to keep off about 5 pounds. I have another 10 pounds to lose, though. I used CAD to lose about 10 pounds a few years ago when I was a senior in college, and looking back at how easy it was to turn into a lifestyle, I'm back on it. However, because of hormonal issues, I am fairly 'Paleo' in that I do not eat any processed foods, refined sugars, most grains, or dairy. My RMs mostly consist of meat, green veg, and carbs coming from plantains, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, fruit, and sometimes white rice since it is regarded to be a 'safe starch'. I will also often bake Paleo goods to add more calories/carbs to my RMs. I read each and every post from the 2013 thread and feel so ready to tackle this again, post-holiday mishaps! I'm also pretty active on the facebook CAD/CALP page.
Welcome!!!! We are here to stay, and hope you will join in with that same attitude
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #63
Big Yapper!!!!

Just had coffee for BF. Lunch was chili with a few crackers. Supper was 3-egg omelet.

See what the scale does tomorrow...
Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
Thanks, Beadelia! I finally broke my stall yesterday, but I think I'll be right back up tomorrow since we were traveling today and my RM consisted of a 12 pack of Chic-Fil-A chicken nuggets and a side salad with Lime Avacado Ranch dressing. I'm going to try to keep it barebones tonight with chicken and veggies. Yesterday I had a turkey and cheddar cheese sandwich for lunch with pork rinds, and turkey, veggies, and creamed spinach for dinner. I had two cheese sticks for a snack yesterday.
Ok first- I love your screen pictures!!!

Do you do just one big meal a day or do you also do CM's, or is it just depending on the day like me? Yesterday was RM only midday. Today will likely be a morning CM of eggs and bacon and then an early evening RM with Hubby since we are off together later today.

MIW
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle112289 View Post
Hey everyone,
Welcome Janelle!!!!! You are going to do great and be very healthy eating like that. They way you eat is what I eventually want to go to. I take after my father in terms of our metabolisms and he took off about 30 pounds following VERY similar to CAD and YOUR woe. Once he adds in refined stuff is where he gets into trouble. He has always been a very healthy food nut from the time I've been a kid with variations on macrobiotic, juicing, alkaline eating, etc, but also meat and protein. But he does like refined goodies too.... LOL

I am not ready to give up alcohol (rare that I cosume it anyways), or my daily chocolate. Plus my iced mochas. But, I do think I would lose better without it!

MIW
Old 01-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Ok first- I love your screen pictures!!!

Do you do just one big meal a day or do you also do CM's, or is it just depending on the day like me? Yesterday was RM only midday. Today will likely be a morning CM of eggs and bacon and then an early evening RM with Hubby since we are off together later today.

MIW
Thanks for the compliment! I've been helping my friend get ready to open her aerial studio, and she took a few pictures of me to use on the website. I couldn't resist putting them up since they turned out pretty cute.

I usually eat an RM and one CM with a snack or two in between. I switched my RM to earlier in the day per your advice and I've found it's made a huge difference in my weight loss. I think it's a good idea to switch things up occasionally in the long run, but I haven't yet been able to bring myself to do one meal a day. It's a mental thing! I'm so used to eating two or three squares!
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mardatha
Stats: 157/144/126
WOE: CAD
Back!

Was doing ok on CAD until xmas when I decided to just eat what I wanted. Having probs though with gallstones, and need to go low fat as well as low carb But back on track now and working out what is left to eat!
mardatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-227)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
hanging in there, wt staying the same, but still pretty good from where I started, which really only about a month, still happy about the appetite not driving me.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Today had a breakfast CM of the middle of an egg, cheese, ham McMuffin and small decaf coffee with cream. Only drank about half the coffee. In the past I found I was very sensitive to even decaf as it caused wt gain/stall. Won't make it a habbit but was nice to have. I chucked the buns from the McMuffin. Not sure yet on RM but it will have some "popovers" which are a chewy but airy crusty roll that goes great with just butter and/or jelly:

Popovers:
4 eggs slightly beaten
2 Cups milk
2 Cups flour
1 tsp salt

Add the other ingredients to the eggs and combine well but do not overbeat. Fill large muffin pan or custard dishes (well greased!) 3/4 way up and bake at 450 deg for 25 minutes, then turn down stove to 350 deg and bake another 10-15 minutes. Done when golden crusty and wooden skewer comes out dry. These will puff up HUGE and are very impressive! I got the recipe from my mom's old 70's Betty Crocker cookbook.

I like them because they have a lot of protein and aren't just empty carbs and very simple ingredients

MIW
Old 01-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

Last night, I tried to be really good, and drank lots of water. Evidently retained most of it, based upon scale this morning!!

No BF, only coffee yesterday morning...1 bowl chili and crackers for lunch and 3-egg omelet for supper. Should NOT have been a 2# gain.....
Old 01-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
Last night, I tried to be really good, and drank lots of water. Evidently retained most of it, based upon scale this morning!!

No BF, only coffee yesterday morning...1 bowl chili and crackers for lunch and 3-egg omelet for supper. Should NOT have been a 2# gain.....
Blargh! I hate it when that happens. I was up .4 today, but I'm guessing it was those darned delicious chicken nuggets.

I've noticed that I sometimes gain 2 or 3 days after I've been naughty after days that I've been an angel. Have any of you ever had that experience? The day after I cheat, I'll be the same or lower and think I'm safe, and then in the next couple of days I'll see a spike of a few lbs that will slowly dip back down. It gets me everytime!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
MIW, I still eat chocolate! Just the dark kind, and if possible soy, dairy, and gluten free. And have you tried making those iced mochas with almond and/or coconut milk? It's little tweaks like those that make my WOE sustainable.
Today for my breakfast CM, I had 3 boiled eggs and 1 chicken, feta, and spinach sausage with a glass of water.
For CM lunch, I had a baked chicken breast with roasted asparagus.
And for pretty unbalanced RM dinner, I had another baked chicken breast with plantains fried in coconut oil, a shake containing 1 banana, 1 cup almond milk, 2 TBSP pumpkin seeds, 1 TBSP sunflower seed butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, grass-fed gelatin, and a little vanilla stevia, anddd a serving of lemon blueberry cookie bites from this gluten-free vegan company called Goodbody. It's currently that time of the month but I don't have any serious cravings. We'll see if the scale moves in the right direction tomorrow.
I am so intrigued by the early RM, but I love my dinner RMs. It feels like a true reward after coming home from a long day of classes, working out, and studying. Maybe in a few months, I'll switch it up to see if it helps break a stall.
I also think I'm going to try incorporating warm water with lemon in the mornings. I think lemon is off limits but nearly every "healthy" website I read touts this drink as helping the body detox, cleanse, and increase weight loss. I'll try it next week and see if it hampers my weight loss.
Since I like to plan ahead, tomorrow's meals will be
breakfast CM: 3 eggs, sausage, kraut, water
lunch CM: roasted chicken breast with roasted cauliflower and green beans
dinner RM: beef back ribs, sweet potato fries, and another shake like the today.
I love when people post their meals, it gives me so many ideas!
Also MIW, I'm definitely going to try to make a gluten-free version of those popovers!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #73
Junior LCF Member

And my weight fluctuates a lot too! While I was reading the entire 2013 thread, one day I'd lose 2 pounds, the next day I'd gain 1.6 eating basically the same thing. It was crazy. What kept me going was MIW's daily weights and showing how one's weight could fluctuate but have any overall downward progression.
I also just joined a 30 day green smoothie challenge, so hopefully I'll be able to pack away more green leafy vegetables during my RMs.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
Blargh! I hate it when that happens. I was up .4 today, but I'm guessing it was those darned delicious chicken nuggets.

I've noticed that I sometimes gain 2 or 3 days after I've been naughty after days that I've been an angel. Have any of you ever had that experience? The day after I cheat, I'll be the same or lower and think I'm safe, and then in the next couple of days I'll see a spike of a few lbs that will slowly dip back down. It gets me everytime!
Yes totally- that was the story of my first year! I would notice being fine for a couple of days THEN the weight would go up. Same thing happened after one day of having a "Free" day where all I did was have an iced mocha and a cookie outside of an RM day.

Karen- the only thing that makes me gain FOR SURE the next day is CHILI!!!! LOL Remember me posting about my chili dog potluck? I am pretty sure I gained like 3 pounds the next day. Something about beans and salt that cause water retention like crazy!

MIW
Old 01-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #75
Big Yapper!!!!

I am going back to weekly averages.

Jan 9.....192.7
Jan 2......192.7
Dec 26.....193.3
Old 01-10-2014, 01:27 AM   #76
Junior LCF Member

I notice you all eat more than me. I've always been a picky eater and if I eat a big meal I'm left with that horrible stuffed feeling, I hate that.
My big problem is supper, I can't seem to find anything for supper. Used to love a couple of oatcakes on Brie or butter, but the gallstones put a stop to that.
Am pretty fedup right now, food seems very limited
Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #77
Big Yapper!!!!

I have doing almonds for snacks in the morning and afternoon. I think that is what is de-railing my scale. Going to work on that for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

I thought I had been eating on plan, but the scale isn't moving. Kind of discouraging.......but I haven't been doing any exercise, and I am getting older (and busy at work)..........
Old 01-10-2014, 05:40 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Hi all. I'm still 107.5. MIW is your weight still the same. You had me going for awhile there. Do you think it is dropping because you are cutting calories now? You all are doing so well.
Keep up the good work.

Kat about how many calories do you think you consume a day? Did you ever try low cal diets before?

Last edited by oriana; 01-10-2014 at 05:42 AM..
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

My wt is still between 212-214 range but that is where I was BEFORE I went to doing early morning RM only days so it has me back at my starting point again. It probably was the 23 hour fast making a differnce with the scale. I am now eating later in the day or midday and having CM's about half the week also. That is ok however because I am still doing great- no hunger, and am not gaining so I am totally fine with it!

MIW
Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

For anyone who has issues with peer pressure, social situations, weakness around food, makes excuses, etc I highly recommend watching Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead. It is a documentary on available on Netflix. I have recommended it many time before simply to be amazed at how 2 guys lost a bunch of weight and got fit and HEALTHY. Not necessarily how they did it (By juicing) but the fact that they took control and got it done.

The main guy in the movie is Joe. He admits he was addicted to unhealthy foods, that it destroyed his health, and his focus was on everything in life EXCEPT him and his health. He is Australian and came to America to do the film. He juiced for 60 days and time and time again was around fast food, in restaurants and around people and social setting where people were eating and he never caved in.

I think if any of you make excusess for why you were off plan time and time again as those types of situations pop up might find that aspect of the movie alone helpful. I know I still watch it at least twice a year because you cannot help but root for Joe and Phil.

I know I am far from perfect but in the last almost 15 months I have been off plan (CAD/CALP) for maybe 10 days. I know 5 of those days were by choice where I actually planned on purpose because I wanted to see how it would affect my weight. The other 5 were "weak" moments but I am amazed/proud that the rest of the time following this WOE that I simply have been able to handle situations well and not have had that hard a time since I am so satisfied with how I feel, lack of hunger, and am ok with my rate of weight loss. Just some thoughts to share with you all and to carry with me for the 2014 year!

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 01-10-2014 at 10:57 AM..
Old 01-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
Hi all. I'm still 107.5. MIW is your weight still the same. You had me going for awhile there. Do you think it is dropping because you are cutting calories now? You all are doing so well.
Keep up the good work.

Kat about how many calories do you think you consume a day? Did you ever try low cal diets before?
I have tried low calorie diets before, but I've never been able to sustain them. Feeling hungry is the worst feeling! Plus, whenever I count calories, I tend to always eat the worst things and just eat fewer of those things, which leaves me feeling empty and cranky and like it's not worth it to lose weight. My weight boomerangs really horribly everytime I count calories and give up. It's much easier for me to just follow the CAD rules and eat in moderation until I'm full but not stuffed.

I had a great weight today, surprisingly. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when I'm up or down! Yesterday I had a roast beef sandwich with extra slices of american cheese and my usual pork rinds, diet coke, and chocolate with almonds in it, and then for a dinner chicken stuffed with cheddar and wrapped with bacon alongside roasted brussel sprouts. I snacked on a cheese stick or two. Somehow this morning I was down .8 lbs to 120.0, so I wonder if I'm eating fewer calories than I think! I just don't feel deprived, which isn't the usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post

I know I am far from perfect but in the last almost 15 months I have been off plan (CAD/CALP) for maybe 10 days. I know 5 of those days were by choice where I actually planned on purpose because I wanted to see how it would affect my weight. The other 5 were "weak" moments but I am amazed/proud that the rest of the time following this WOE that I simply have been able to handle situations well and not have had that hard a time since I am so satisfied with how I feel, lack of hunger, and am ok with my rate of weight loss. Just some thoughts to share with you all and to carry with me for the 2014 year!

MIW
I wish I had that kind of fortitude! I've probably cheated three times since I've gone on this diet in October (as in full on cheat days with no CMs), but I've also cheated a few times during special occasions by not balancing my RMs. Either way, I've cheated way less than I usually do on a WOE! This is very sustainable thus far.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #82
Junior LCF Member

You are so inspirational, MIW! I incorporated a CM snack today and hope the calories aren't too over, so I'll watch the scale tomorrow morning to see how I was affected. I lost 1.6 when I weighed myself this morning.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Hey I just stick with it is all. I'd be lying if I said I am ok with losing super duper slowly as I would like it to come off faster. But, it didn't come on overnight so it is just going to take some time! As long as I am not gaining I won't complain too much. Plus, what's not to like about being able to eat so much and great food???? LOL

Katmck- you are down almost 10 pounds! That is great considering you don't have that much to take off! Way to go!!!!

MIW
Old 01-11-2014, 02:46 AM   #84
Junior LCF Member

I started this in August last year but decided to come off it for xmas and new year - but in the event I didn't cheat a lot and my weight stayed the same. Reason I didn't cheat wasn't amazing willpower, it was gallstones LOL
Old 01-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #85
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardatha View Post
I started this in August last year but decided to come off it for xmas and new year - but in the event I didn't cheat a lot and my weight stayed the same. Reason I didn't cheat wasn't amazing willpower, it was gallstones LOL
Sorry for the gallstones, but at least the weight stayed the same.

Gallstones better?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #86
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
I have doing almonds for snacks in the morning and afternoon. I think that is what is de-railing my scale. Going to work on that for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

I thought I had been eating on plan, but the scale isn't moving. Kind of discouraging.......but I haven't been doing any exercise, and I am getting older (and busy at work)..........
I did NO snacks yesterday. Had carbs on 2 meals, but scale stayed the same.......... I think the snacks I thought were ok is what is really slowing me down. Need to eat a little more at each meal (and keep 2 of them low carb)

See if that helps my scale move.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #87
Junior LCF Member

It's the tiny wee things that seem to make all the difference isn't it?
Gallstones easing ty - now to deal with the heartburn!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Mardatha, I'm so sorry about the gallstones. Had them for years, and know it can be all sorts of no fun. If it's any comfort to you, should your doctor suggest surgery, the laparoscopic operation to remove them was a lot less painful than the attacks I'd been having that last week!

Well, I've been on this plan for two full weeks now, and am down 3.4 lbs, but the first two pounds came off the first day, so it had to be water weight. Only 1.4 lbs is "real," but that's OK, because without this WOE I'd either have stayed the same or would have gained a bit in that time. And thank goodness for averaging weights, because if I weren't doing that I'd really feel discouraged about now over the way the scale jumps up and down. Also thank goodness for the way this WOE makes you eat more mindfully. Keeping a food diary some days is part of that. I'm learning a few things about myself. One is that I really got stuck when I was doing RMs at dinner, which I actually prefer because that's when I'm most likely to eat out with family and friends. When I moved RMs to lunch or breakfast, the weight started coming off again.

I also find that the raw cashews I love to snack on stall weight loss or make me gain--better a meat snack with a stick of celery, or a string cheese. Sighhhh. And as some others have mentioned, it does seem that weight gains come a couple of days after I've gone off plan a little, although anything really salty shows up the next morning. Well, we live, observe, and learn, don't we? That's what it's about--knowing how our bodies work so we can be in control.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Today I was 214 on the dot so I changed my stats for the current wt to reflect the truth, LOL

I know that my weight loss has been slow but this is honestly NOT A DIET for me and I have not had to watch calories or even the types of foods I eat. I just followed the "rules" even loosely and the wt is just slowly peeling away on it's own.

Yesterday my RM was an early breakfast one (just because I felt like it!) so of course later in the evening I did get hungry and it didn't get better, only got worse so after a couple of hours I went ahead and ate a nice CM of cheese, celery, and meatloaf.

Today's RM will be midmorning from probably 10am to 11am and will have some homemade banana bread that me and the kids made this morning and an iced mocha for my carbs. Likley more leftover meatload and maybe some bacon and a salad for the rest. Who knows? I like the freedome to just eat what I have around and what sounds good at the time!

MIW
Old 01-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
MIW, when you make meatloaf, do you use any kind of filler like bread crumbs or oatmeal, and if you do, can it still meet the criteria for foods eaten at CMs? I suppose that might depend of the proportion of filler to meat? Thanks much.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote