Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 02:04 AM   #751
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tbagram
Stats: 249/230/180
WOE: The Big Breakfast/IF
Start Date: 4/28/14
I have the opposite opinion. I have seen many debates on talk shows on this very subject and can remember how fit and healthy the low carbers looked and how wrinkly and gaunt the vegans looked.
tbagram is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2014, 05:12 AM   #752
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
hey, why not give it a try? we're all different. the concept you're talking about is similar to slimfast's idea: one meal, with 2 shakes for the two other meals.

the bottom line is calories in / calories out, with the understanding that healthy foods ARE burned better by the body. but for the most part, calories in / calories out is a fairly accurate mindset.

while i was actively striving to lose weight, i constantly yearned for my sweet morning coffee. once i hit my goal, at the time, i decided that i was going to allow myself to have it, no matter what method of maintenance i followed. my typical day looks like this:

8:00 - large sweet morning coffee (heaping T sugar, lotsa creamer)

12:00 - CAD meal (eat until i'm done, even if it goes over 60 min.)

5:00 - 4 oz. turkey sausage

this is not being faithful to CAD, CALP, BBD, or SEC because of the sweet coffee outside of the RM. but it works for ME. it doesn't make me go crazy with cravings. besides that, i've lost an additional pound (unintentionally).

we're all different. the main thing is that you're able to stick with a program (any program), with minimal cravings. imho
I am down 2.5# but not counting on success yet........but still working on figuring out what might work for me.

That is what we are all looking for, in the end.....
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #753
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mayflowers
Stats: 197/196/150
WOE: CAD-Stress Eating Cure
Start Date: 4/13/14
I think it depends on the individual. I see Jeff Novick from Dr. Mcdougall's web site and he looks gaunt and sickly to me. I see many vegans who look undernourished and pasty. (iron deficiency). Vegans have to eat very well to stay healthy. Besides I still don't believe myself that humans were meant to be vegan, why? Because if we were we wouldn't need vitamin B12 which is only naturally obtain through animals. This proves that humans need occasional meat to maintain health and that we are omnivores. Vegans can argue all they want but the proof is in the vitamin B12 requirement. Dr. D'Adamo, the blood type diet doctor, feels that A blood types should eat a diet close to vegetarian but not strict or vegan. He said once that all the vegans he's come into contact with and he's a naturopathic doctor, all look undernourished.

I myself am trying to follow the CADHLP which has vegetarian options but not vegan options. I'd like to try to do vegan just long enough to get the weight off and then go back to vegetarian to maintain.
Mayflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #754
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thelasttime
Stats: 203/194/165
WOE: CAD/One Meal a Day/ Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: January 2014
Hi... I haven't posted on here for a looong time, but I have been reading your posts. Since the beginning of this year I have been trying to stick to CAD, one meal a day. I actually feel like I was doing pretty well through April (down 12 lbs). Then I had two big events in May that I wanted to lose weight for. I was so stressed about them that I ate and ate. :-( Now I am trying to get it back together. I am posting on this board again hoping it will help me to be accountable!
thelasttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #755
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasttime View Post
I was so stressed about them that I ate and ate. :-( Now I am trying to get it back together. I am posting on this board again hoping it will help me to be accountable!
Hi,
Nice to see you. I truly believe I'll get my weight under control this year. I have a cruise next year that I'm going on and I want to have my weight where I want it to be so I can enjoy myself. Well I have some motivation now!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #756
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbagram View Post
I have the opposite opinion. I have seen many debates on talk shows on this very subject and can remember how fit and healthy the low carbers looked and how wrinkly and gaunt the vegans looked.
I a way that is true...

Most low carbers have not been doing it long term. The ones who have been doing Atkin's other than athletes who train and are very much into fitness and more importantly nutrition do a LOT of supplementation and do not strictly thrive on low carb. If you follow a lot of them you will see they do carb binge at times and have to heavily supplement with caffeine or worse for energy. I am sorry but a bullet proof coffee is NOT paleo and found anywhere in nature! LOL

Another point is that people forget how much processed foods, meats, and dairy even are fortified. Plus the food fed to animals as well. There is an entire industry around nutrition for animals and that gets passed on to the people who ingest it. If you had true hunter-gatherers out there eating the odd fruits, greens, and wild game like a deer or rabbit you are not going to see what you do with people eating "grass fed" beef. It just ain't gonna happen.

As to the sickly vegans- I can concur to a point. There are all sorts of nutritional deficiencies in non-vegans as well. In fact almost identical except for all the heart disease, obesity, diabetes, etc. Everyone in today's modern world has to contend with tooth decay, Vitamin D and B12 deficiency. Those are not unique to veganism. Where vegans need to get more educated about which is what I am learning currently is that due to nutritional depletion of the soils fruits and veggies are not as nutritious as they once were. Vegans too need to look into some forms of supplementation or get super educated on foods to be sure they are getting what they need. A lot of vegans you see doing it long term are the ones who eat smaller than needed caloric intake and simply do not get enough nutrients to thrive. It is not because of their diet per se as much as they need to eat more in terms of caloric intake to get the required quantities of nutrients and also varied a bit more to get trace items like selenium and Omega-3's.

People who eat a lot of processed foods are getting less than 1/10th of the original nutritional intake but get plenty of synthetic add-backs with all the fortification that goes on in the food industry.

It is a give and take but I've seen plenty of proof of long term vegans who look fabulous. Even elderly body builders! There are 2 gals on youtube who are in their 70's who look 40 to 50 years old. I am sure there are more out there but those are the ones who choose to share their lifestyle openly.

Also we as a society are so used to seeing overweight, fat and obese people walking around. Normal now (as in height weight proportional) is practically anyone who carries and extra 20 to 30 pounds. We are not used to seeing super lean folks anymore who carry virtually no extra body fat. So when people do see them they think they are sickly or weak by comparison. The same goes for body builders. People think that type of dense, thick, chunky body builder type of muscle is strong but it is not. It is pumped up "fluffy" muscle with steroids and super weak joints and ligament. Then you have folks with super strength who do it naturally with calisthenics who do not isolate their muscles with targeted exercises and those folks can lift as much and are just as strong and are half the size!

MIW
Old 05-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #757
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/108.4/110 as of 07/30/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
I don't think there is a rule that one is any healthier than the other. There are plenty of examples good and bad on either side. I know overweight, unhealthy vegans, sickly vegans who don't get enough iron, overweight people on Paleo, malnourished people on low carb who don't get enough magnesium and potassium, etc. I also know vegans, vegetarians, meatatarians and fatatarians of all stripes who are healthy and happy! I don't think you have to take a bunch of supplements to be healthy on low carb, either, as I am an athlete who doesn't even take a multi-vitamin in the mornings and never did even when I was cutting to 20 carbs a day.

I don't think there is a right way one way or the other. There's no need to bash veganism or the low carb lifestyle because there's always a healthy and an unhealthy way to live either lifestyle. You can go overboard with any lifestyle.

I went down 1/10th of a lb last week, so maybe I'm finally coming to the end of the loss and coming to a place where I will maintain. So far, I am still loving the maintenance phase and (fingers crossed) seem to be maintaining pretty well. This lifestyle has already by far lead to the most stable and longest period of maintenance I've ever had. Here are my weekly average weights for maintenance so far:

110.3 TOM
108.5 TOM

This weekend I had a huge cheat fest because of celebrating Mother's Day and having family and then friends in town. Today I am back on the narrow path, eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with cheese chips and snap pea crisps for a lunch RM. Chicken and spinach tonight!

Last edited by KatMck; 05-13-2014 at 10:57 AM..
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #758
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Kat you are the tiniest person I have seen on CAD. I truly believe the key in weight loss is to eat early to lose the most on CAD, don't you. Although, it is nice to have that evening meal.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #759
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
Kat you are the tiniest person I have seen on CAD. I truly believe the key in weight loss is to eat early to lose the most on CAD, don't you. Although, it is nice to have that evening meal.
You are even tinier than I am, lol! Didn't you hit 106 not too long ago? It is fun to eat an evening RM meal, but I actually don't crave evening meal RMs that much anymore. I really enjoy my lunch RM. If I save the RM until dinner, I think about it all day. If I get all the tasty stuff out of the way early, I can just focus on eating healthy CMs the rest of the day and don't crave anything.

And I know it doesn't apply to everyone, but I know that the weight loss started for me once I switched RM time from dinner to lunch!
Old 05-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #760
Senior LCF Member

I was reminiscing and looking at old posts, and I found something I posted back in November of 2013 on the 2013 CAD hangout:

"Good lord, that's what I call a meal!! Yummy! 108 is a dream weight for me. I'm really short but kinda stocky, so I'm not even hoping for that. The lowest I've weighed in 10 years is 113 when I was on extremely strict keto."

And yet here I am, seven months later, weighing in regularly at 107 or 108, eating pizza, hamburgers, and steak and baked potatos (just with way more veggies than I used to). Wow! I have all of you to thank for keeping me honest and giving me encouragement with your successes to get past the obstacles. Thank you all!!
Old 05-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #761
Major LCF Poster!

What did you have on your cheat day, Kat? I am 109.5 today. You are right. There is no right or wrong way. You have to find what works best for you.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #762
Senior LCF Member

Oriana, I ate two cheeseburgers, fries, and a chocolate gelato for breakfast, and then I ate two rolls of Publix spicy crunchy tempura sushi, and then I ate a whole Publix white pizza for dinner. I kid you not when I say that was more cheating than I have done in a while! That's why I know I have to buckle down for a few days!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:26 AM   #763
Major LCF Poster!

Cheeseburgers and fried for breakfast? I love it! Your weight doesn't seem to jump as much after a cheat day either, Kat. And it only takes a few days to get it back down.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #764
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thelasttime
Stats: 203/194/165
WOE: CAD/One Meal a Day/ Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: January 2014
I have been thinking about trying a different way of eating... maybe JUDDD? But, I think first I need to give CAD a real shot. It is hard to say it isn't working, when I am the one who is not working the program! So, I am committing to stick to CAD for the next four weeks. I am going to eat the best I can and also keep working on being more active (I have been trying to get in 10,000 steps a day). Then I will see how I feel and take it from there. :-)
thelasttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #765
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
As to the sickly vegans- I can concur to a point. There are all sorts of nutritional deficiencies in non-vegans as well. In fact almost identical except for all the heart disease, obesity, diabetes, etc. Everyone in today's modern world has to contend with tooth decay, Vitamin D and B12 deficiency. Those are not unique to veganism. Where vegans need to get more educated about which is what I am learning
MIW
If you eat red meat or poultry or even fish, and eggs (eggs are rich in B12) you won't be deficient of B12. A non vegetarian who's B12 deficient is an extremely rare thing and obviously the person is deficient because they are barely eating any animal products. The only diet in which you can actually die with no supplementation is a vegan diet. McDougall said we have years worth of B12 stored in our bodies coming to veganism from meat eating. But what about children who are vegans? They must supplement B12 or die. So, while I understand your experiment...MIW eating too much meat is bad too, I agree with a diet heavy in vegetables of all colors..nuts, and seeds... that's why I am trying to eat ovo lacto and then just ovo vegetarian. I was born allergic to dairy.

Last edited by Mayflowers; 05-14-2014 at 08:51 AM..
Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #766
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
And yet here I am, seven months later, weighing in regularly at 107 or 108, eating pizza, hamburgers, and steak and baked potatos (just with way more veggies than I used to). Wow! I have all of you to thank for keeping me honest and giving me encouragement with your successes to get past the obstacles. Thank you all!!
Hi, do you have small bones? My mother was 5'1" and she weighed 115-120lbs
107 just sounds really low.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #767
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
i really wish CAD, BBD, Atkins, etc. did NOT tell us that we can "eat whatever" we want within their prescribed boundaries. i do not believe this is actually the case for anyone, with any program. most of us need perimeters of some sort, especially those who do not naturally stop eating when they should, like me!

i like concrete guidelines. if i ate whatever i wanted, pushing the boundaries of any diet, i would have no trouble gaining weight. i think dr. heller thought it an easy to follow rule when she said to divide your plate into 3rds, to keep your meal balanced. that doesn't make complete sense because 1/2 c of popped corn is NOT anywhere near the same as 1/2 c of pecan pie. we burn calories not bulk.

it is important to keep diet records, as you go along, so you can see the entire picture, not just what the scale might say each day. this has been an invaluable tool for me.

Amen and Amen! Some of us, and I'm right at the top of the list, just can't handle liberty. I would eat all day, every day, if I let myself. I think it's familial--my grandmother, short and round like me, said she just never felt full. (Well, there WAS that time she ate 3/4 of a 12" pecan pie all by herself, but that may have been the only time.) Whatever plan I try, my body quickly learns to "outsmart" the parameters. I can easily inhale enough calories in an RM to gain weight, and I quickly discovered that even on JUDDD up days, "whatever I want" did not apply to me, not even at the beginning of the program when supposedly most people can forget counting calories every other day. I HAVE to count calories, and budget them. I'm afraid this is just a fact of life many of us have to face, or remain fat. That said, I'm finding that JUDDD is the most successful weight loss plan for me, and that the CALP principles can help me keep me from going completely off the rails on up days. I need all the help I can get, but especially the help of the hated calorie counter. It's just the way I'm wired--me and a lot of other people. We have to have limits, imposed by either a calorie limit or a structured list of allowed foods. And I, for one, need to weigh at least three times a week.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #768
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers View Post
Hi, do you have small bones? My mother was 5'1" and she weighed 115-120lbs
107 just sounds really low.
I don't think I have small bones, Mayflowers. I've always thought of myself as stocky like my father, as a matter of fact. Following this WOE has been the first time I've seen this weight in a long time, so it's been very surprising for me.

According to the BMI scale, I'm at 20.4, which is still well above the threshold of being underweight. I would need to be under 100 lbs to be considered underweight. I went on maintenance almost two months ago, and instead of gaining like I have with every other diet, I have still been slowly losing. I don't plan on going that low, so thankfully I think my weight loss is finally slowing to a stop. If I inch down to 105, I will start adding in an extra cheat day and see what happens.

Speaking of which, I was 108.4 today and craving breakfasty food. I ate a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich with steamed potatoes and veggies for a lunch RM at around 12:00 PM. Not pictured below are the five Milano cookies that I ate to finish off the meal. For dinner, I will eat my usual cheesy chicken and spinach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140514_115120856_HDR.jpg (44.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #769
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
It's just the way I'm wired--me and a lot of other people. We have to have limits, imposed by either a calorie limit or a structured list of allowed foods. And I, for one, need to weigh at least three times a week.
I completely agree with this. As far as I'm concerned, there is no magic bullet. It's all about finding a lifestyle that will help you eat less without feeling deprived. I also weigh almost daily, usually at least 5-6 days a week. Using the scale really helps me get to know my body. For instance, I don't worry when I'm up the day after I eat almonds or chili or dairy like ice cream. Any of those will make me gain the next day no matter what, so now I don't sweat it after eating those foods. It is helpful to know what triggers water weight for my body so that I can discern the difference between a real gain and just water weight.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #770
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CookieCrazy
Stats: 251/247/175
WOE: CADD / RM = lunch
Start Date: May 2014
New to the game.....

Current 251.4/ Goal 175
Height 5'4

I need some inspiration/ideas/ realistic goals.
I am just starting the CAD and my RM is dinner.
I have been doing atkins shakes and asparagus mostly for CM.
My CM arent very creative due to my job and the fact that I dont really like breakfast and I need conveinient foods. I also cook chicken and have salads.
I have quit drinking Diet coke and crystal light.
I am currently only drinking water, except I drink whatever I want with my RM.

I adore carbs... especially breads,pastas, and sweets
So.... can you guys give me examples of your RMs???
Also, how fast/slow was your weight loss??
Good advice???

Any help is much appreciated!!!!
CookieCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #771
Major LCF Poster!

I have always done better on one meal a day. I don't know why but I seem to trigger hunger when I eat even a cm. If I eat early in the day I lose fastest plus I sleep better. KAT, you really lost quickly from eating a whole pizza plus 2 cheeseburgers for breaky on Mother's Day. I too eat like that if I have a cheat day..........probably more than that actually! LOL!

Last edited by oriana; 05-14-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Old 05-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #772
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CookieCrazy
Stats: 251/247/175
WOE: CADD / RM = lunch
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
I have always done better on one meal a day. I don't know why but I seem to trigger hunger when I eat even a cm. If I eat early in the day I lose fastest plus I sleep better. KAT, you really lost quickly from eating a whole pizza plus 2 cheeseburgers for breaky on Mother's Day. I too eat like that if I have a cheat day..........probably more than that actually! LOL!
This may seem like a silly question, but I need to ask.... i have a six year old at home and we eat at the table for dinner... is it hard not to eat when you have to cook it and watch other people eat?? I am definitely considering moving my RM to lunch, but I am worried I will be too tempted at dinner time.
CookieCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #773
Major LCF Poster!

Not if you eat enough protein. I have eaten at 8 a.m. sometimes around 2500 calories and always was full until about 8 p.m. at night. Don't eat all carbs at lunch.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:38 AM   #774
Major LCF Poster!

chipotle burrito, head of romaine, carrot cake smoothie and mcdonald fruit smoothie at around noon.........109 today still up from a free day..........heading to Israel for a 10 day trip on Wednesday. There will be a breakfast buffet and a dinner buffet so I will pick on for my rm every day and have a free day one day maybe Sunday.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #775
Senior LCF Member

Oriana, that sounds like a delicous RM! My RM today was ridiculous. I saw 107.8 again today, but I'm sure I won't see it tomorrow! As you can see, I had a gigantic meal at a delicious local Tex Mex place that's been in business over 30 years. I might eat a CM snack tonight, but I'm done with meals for the day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140515_122946397.jpg (48.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #776
Major LCF Poster!

Has anyone had Chipotle burritos. They are huge and I ate that head of romaine with it and a big ol carrot cake cupcake. No more food today. I am stuffed.

Kat, you may even be able to eat like man like you used to but just in your one meal plus a cheat/free day if you keep up this skinniness!

Kat, did you eat it all. Did it include that little taco in the corner with the bit out of it. When I go to Taco Bell I get 2 chaplupas always and then I have to have dessert.

Last edited by oriana; 05-15-2014 at 12:47 PM..
Old 05-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #777
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Has anyone had Chipotle burritos. They are huge and I ate that head of romaine with it and a big ol carrot cake cupcake. No more food today. I am stuffed.

Kat, you may even be able to eat like man like you used to but just in your one meal plus a cheat/free day if you keep up this skinniness!

Kat, did you eat it all. Did it include that little taco in the corner with the bit out of it. When I go to Taco Bell I get 2 chaplupas always and then I have to have dessert.
That was my taco, and I did eat it all except for a couple of bites. No dessert, but I ate half of the basket of tortilla chips they brought out. I am still stuffed to the gills four hours later!

Your trip to Israel sounds like it will be so much fun, by the way! Two buffets a day also sounds divine. Then again, unlike my husband, I never could turn down a buffet.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #778
Major LCF Poster!

Kat, I still drink diet coke and coffee in the morning but it is black. I have not had problems with cravings. My friend who lost 90 pounds and eats one huge meal a day has maintained for many years now eating like this. She also drinks a 2 liter bottle of diet mt. Dew throughout the day. She wears a size 6 and eats A LOT. The other day she posted me and had just finished her rm which her dessert itself was 6 of the Dairy Queen ice cream sandwiches. Prolly eats about 2500-3000 calorie rms most days. She doesn't balance and never has.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #779
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tbagram
Stats: 249/230/180
WOE: The Big Breakfast/IF
Start Date: 4/28/14
Quote:
Kat, I still drink diet coke and coffee in the morning but it is black. I have not had problems with cravings. My friend who lost 90 pounds and eats one huge meal a day has maintained for many years now eating like this. She also drinks a 2 liter bottle of diet mt. Dew throughout the day. She wears a size 6 and eats A LOT. The other day she posted me and had just finished her rm which her dessert itself was 6 of the Dairy Queen ice cream sandwiches. Prolly eats about 2500-3000 calorie rms most days. She doesn't balance and never has.
Wow! I should give it a try. How old is your friend.I'm 63, so my metabolism is probable too old.
tbagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:37 AM   #780
Major LCF Poster!

I was 108.5 today after that meal yesterday.