Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #691
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
Go Kat, you'll be down in no time. Keep posting those menus. Can I ask why you eat Quest bars? Wouldn't you rather have a real candy bar? Or are you trying to limi carbs. You don't have to on this.
I've never been into candy bars. I like cookies and cake! I like Quest bars because they're tasty and use stevia and have 20 grams of protein. If there's something I've figured out for myself on this diet, it's that eating a lot of sweets and empty carbs will make me hungry again in a couple of hours. Making sure I eat good fats and protein with every RM really has helped me feel satiated and not crave sweets outside of the RM.

I still eat regular sweets when I want them. Yesterday I ate a chocolate peanut butter brownie that was left over from the bake shop I went to this weekend. It was delicious! Some days I prefer the long term satiety of the Quest bars over cookies or cake.
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #692
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Well, I definitely am into cake as in Costco carrot cake cupcakes ..........the big ones with the butter cream frosting. I am going to have one or two today for my rm. I eat one meal a day and lose. I also feel much more satisfied than if I eat a cm. That's just me though. What did you all have today? Kat, keep posting your journey. It's inspiring to all. How much do you exercise?
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #693
Major LCF Poster!

I recommend reading Peter Attia's Eatin Academy. He talks alot about eating a diet high in fat with some protein.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #694
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
[QUOTE=Mayflowers;16891851]Beadelia Supposedly the bottles don't have the chemical in them anymore that everyone was worried about causing cancer or whatever. BPA?

Thank you for the update. I did some Googling, and it seems there were two things "they" were worried about, dioxins and BPA, and neither are a threat, at least not any more. One article from Prevention said that ". . . most single-use water bottles sold in the United States are made from BPA-free plastic. And there's no proven link to breast cancer in women anyway. To be safe, drink from a reusable plastic bottle labeled "BPA free," or choose water bottles with a "1," "2," "4," or "5" in the recycling symbol on the bottom. " Another article said that most plastic water bottles don't contain BPA, but that those with a recycle code of 3 or 7 might, and that you should keep bottles with those codes out of the sun and in a cool place to prevent the release of BPA. Since "a cool place" does not include Texas for much of the year, I guess I'll be checking the recycle codes!

Anyway, since I do like to have bottled water with me when I'm away from home, especially during our sweaty summers, I'm happy to hear I don't have to worry. At least until the next "alarm of the week" comes over the internet.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #695
Senior LCF Member

Oriana,
My exercise varies a lot these days, and I don't really have a set amount that I do. One week I'll exercise for 4 hours, last week I exercised for 1 hour. There's no rhyme or reason right now.

I have read a lot of Peter Attia. He always has some interesting ideas to share about nutrition and weight loss.

Beadelia,
I agree that sometimes it can be tough to know whether eggs are supposed to be bad or good for me this week!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #696
Major LCF Poster!

What did you eat today????????
Old 04-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #697
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What did you eat today????????
For lunch at around 1:00 PM, I ate a turkey and cheese hot pressed sandwich with carrots, cheese chips, some snap pea crisps, and a Quest bar. Tonight, I'll be eating tandoor chicken with spinach.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #698
Major LCF Poster!

Yum, tandor chicken sounds good, Kat. Do you make it yourself? What's in it?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #699
Major LCF Poster!

Kat are the Quest bars gross or do they really taste like real candybars? I know Dr. Attia mentioned having one.What is your fave flavor?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #700
Senior LCF Member

I think the Quest bars are tasty, or else I wouldn't eat so many of them! I like Cookies & Cream and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavors. I enjoy them because they're not super sweet like Atkins bars and they don't mess with my stomach. I ended up just eating my usual chicken and spinach for dinner yesterday, btw. I don't know if I mentioned this, but I was back down to 109.6 yesterday and 109.2 today, still on TOM.

Today I was craving ravioli, so we made ravioli with ground turkey meat sauce and breadsticks. I had two helpings of the ravioli and meat sauce and two breadsticks and we finished off the bag. I also had a spinach salad with caesar dressing. I had time to grab a pic today, so I included it. When I did the calorie count, the meal came to between 1400 and 1500 calories. If I eat again today, it will be a small chicken and spinach meal or a CM snack of some kind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140430_123628045_HDR.jpg (46.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #701
Major LCF Poster!

Kat don't you feel unenergetic when you don't include sugar in your rms? I have to have sugar to function.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #702
Senior LCF Member

Sugar makes me feel like a toddler for 30 minutes and then I want to nap for four hours. It also makes me feel sick to my stomach if I overdo it. I'm glad I don't crave it like crazy anymore.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #703
Major LCF Poster!

Kat you really must be sugar sensitive. I'll bet fruit does weird things to you, too. Maybe it is because I run a lot that I need that extra glucose in my system. You seem more of a salt and savory and I am more of a sugar addict. LOL! Does your hubby have to have dessert with his rms? Like with your pasta meal?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #704
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Kat you really must be sugar sensitive. I'll bet fruit does weird things to you, too. Maybe it is because I run a lot that I need that extra glucose in my system. You seem more of a salt and savory and I am more of a sugar addict. LOL! Does your hubby have to have dessert with his rms? Like with your pasta meal?
I think you are right. I am definitely a salt addict! I used to crave sugar, but I'm thinking that it was mostly just a habit since now I go days without wanting anything sweet. Most of the time when the scale is up, you can bet I had a cheesy hamburger or pizza the day before! Chris is also a salt addict, so we're a perfect match. One of our favorite snacks was to eat pretzels with aged white cheddar, YUM!!

I don't get to have that as a snack anymore, but that's okay. When I really crave pretzels and cheese, I turn it into a big RM meal with crackers, cheese, meat and olives and salad and the like. The flexibility of this diet is amazing!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #705
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Day 10 update:

I was 213.4 lbs today so I finally saw the scale drop below previous levels.

yesterday I had a smoothie for breakfast, fresh fruits for lunch, mainly all raw veggies for dinner with 4 small flour tortillas.

Today was 10 bananas and 7 dates for a breakfast smoothie

Lunch 10 bananas smoothie

Dinner will be at least 4 of the veggie soft tacos. Yesterday I had a total of 8 cups of dices tomatoes, onions, avocado, parsley, cilantro, basil, mushrooms, cucumber, celery, bell pepper. A squeezed in lemon to keep it fresh. Sooooo good.

As you can see all carbs all the time. So far I am not hungry between meals, not shakey, not gaining wt, have tons of energy and really enjoy the flavors. I don't have to balance anything either or really think about what I am eating. I have enough energy to exercise like I have been and I actually think I am starting to sleep better too! I am also drinking quite a bit more water, like at LEAST 3 liters and somedays 4 liters. I was concerned with water wt gain or even getting too diluted and muscle spasms or something but no, I feel GREAT!!!

I'll keep folks posted if I actually start to see some real losses.

MIW
Old 05-01-2014, 06:50 AM   #706
Major LCF Poster!

Go MIW!!!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #707
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
Sugar makes me feel like a toddler for 30 minutes and then I want to nap for four hours. It also makes me feel sick to my stomach if I overdo it. I'm glad I don't crave it like crazy anymore.
Thee and me both, regarding the reaction to sugar. Yesterday was a JUDDD up day, and I pigged out at Sweet Tomatoes. (Last day of lemon month, and their tangy lemon muffins are probably my favorite treat in the whole world.) Sang "Sittin' on the Front Porch Swing" much of the way home just to keep from going to sleep at the wheel, and fell into a coma in my recliner. Most of today I've felt groggy and hung over. WHY do I do that to myself? Sugar and wheat are the two things I should avoid most carefully and they're the two things I crave most of all.

How did you get rid of the sugar cravings?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #708
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Day 10 update:

I was 213.4 lbs today so I finally saw the scale drop below previous levels.

Dinner will be at least 4 of the veggie soft tacos. Yesterday I had a total of 8 cups of dices tomatoes, onions, avocado, parsley, cilantro, basil, mushrooms, cucumber, celery, bell pepper. A squeezed in lemon to keep it fresh. Sooooo good.

MIW

Congratulations on getting the scale to move. Those veggie soft tacos sound yum.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #709
Senior LCF Member

Congrats on the loss, MIW! It's encouraging to know that there are so many different ways you can lose, as long as you find something you don't mind doing all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
Thee and me both, regarding the reaction to sugar. Yesterday was a JUDDD up day, and I pigged out at Sweet Tomatoes. (Last day of lemon month, and their tangy lemon muffins are probably my favorite treat in the whole world.) Sang "Sittin' on the Front Porch Swing" much of the way home just to keep from going to sleep at the wheel, and fell into a coma in my recliner. Most of today I've felt groggy and hung over. WHY do I do that to myself? Sugar and wheat are the two things I should avoid most carefully and they're the two things I crave most of all.

How did you get rid of the sugar cravings?
I have always wanted to try Sweet Tomatoes. Those lemon muffins sound so delicious! I'm going to have to give it a try one of these days.

When I started losing steadily on this diet, I decided to make a CALP rule for myself at the RM. I would either eat a savory carb of some kind or a sweet carb of some kind, but not both. It was a flexible rule that I broke maybe once or twice a week, but I found as time went on that on most days I would pick the salty/savory carb over the sweet carb. I guess because of that rule, I got out of the habit of wanting sweets all the time, and now I only eat sweets once or twice a week.

I did have about half of a chocolate milkshake today at Beefy King. This place is sort of like a glorified Arby's with really great steamed roastbeef sandwiches on Kaiser rolls. I ate a regular-sized meal with a cheddar roast beef sandwich and tater tots and a diet soda, and my husband and I split a chocolate milk shake. I worked out today for about an hour and a half, so I ate a small CM of chicken and broccoli with cheese. I am still stuffed, but my guessitmate is around 1400 or 1500 calories today.

I was back down to 108 this morning as well. So far, so good!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #710
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alliejon
Stats: 320.8/316.4/145
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Oh my - I have fallen off the wagon again. Just can't seem to make this a lifestyle... I didn't follow the plan for many days, and the scale is up again!! I am tired of being mad at myself!!! I had an RM this morning. I'm going to plan on CM lunch and CM dinner to get back on track.
alliejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #711
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
Congrats on the loss, MIW! It's encouraging to know that there are so many different ways you can lose, as long as you find something you don't mind doing all the time!

I have always wanted to try Sweet Tomatoes. Those lemon muffins sound so delicious! I'm going to have to give it a try one of these days.

When I started losing steadily on this diet, I decided to make a CALP rule for myself at the RM. I would either eat a savory carb of some kind or a sweet carb of some kind, but not both. It was a flexible rule that I broke maybe once or twice a week, but I found as time went on that on most days I would pick the salty/savory carb over the sweet carb. I guess because of that rule, I got out of the habit of wanting sweets all the time, and now I only eat sweets once or twice a week.

I did have about half of a chocolate milkshake today at Beefy King. This place is sort of like a glorified Arby's with really great steamed roastbeef sandwiches on Kaiser rolls. I ate a regular-sized meal with a cheddar roast beef sandwich and tater tots and a diet soda, and my husband and I split a chocolate milk shake. I worked out today for about an hour and a half, so I ate a small CM of chicken and broccoli with cheese. I am still stuffed, but my guessitmate is around 1400 or 1500 calories today.

I was back down to 108 this morning as well. So far, so good!

Alas, at Sweet Tomatoes April is lemon month, and then they move on to another special item. Sometimes if they have the mix left over they'll serve the lemon muffins for a few days into May, but not always. However, they always have a fantastic salad bar--they call it "45 feet of fresh" plus a fine selection of soups, plus a small baked potato bar, some different kinds of pizza squares, cornbread, blueberry muffins, and maybe another special muffin or two, and a small selection of desserts, including some fresh fruit. After four they serve a fancier dessert. Whenever you go, you won't starve, and you can pretty much adjust your calorie and carb intake any way you like, especially if you use the nutritional information on their website. What they don't have, at least locally, is much selection of solid protein. But by all means pay them a visit.

Thank you for telling me how you got over the sugar cravings. That's a good RM rule, and if followed most of the time should at least cut the cravings a bit. Today I'm hankering for a baked potato, so if I have that it would be my RM carb for this JUDDD up day.

Congratulations on getting back down to 108!
Old 05-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #712
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lindart1
Stats: 244/236/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-started April 2014
Good Luck! Don't give up!
Lindart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #713
Major LCF Poster!

You know it sometimes takes a fall to help us realize when we need to do. I for one can't eat fruit outside of an hour even though I love it. I have learned that I do best on one meal a day as early as possible and I lose the most on a rm breakfast, that being my only meal of the day. I can't eat 5 meals a day like a lot of people in this world do. I just keep wanting more and more if I eat like that. So let's start posting food logs and encourage each other.

I will try to check in each day. Today will be an earlier rm and I just got in from my morning run. I am having coffee and later a diet mt. dew. Rm is a planned unbalanced rm of 1/2 cup roasted almonds, 1/2 pineapple, 2 lg. carrot cake Costco cupcakes. Tomorrow is a bbg of ribeye, salad, DQ ice cream cake.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #714
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You know it sometimes takes a fall to help us realize when we need to do. I for one can't eat fruit outside of an hour even though I love it. I have learned that I do best on one meal a day as early as possible and I lose the most on a rm breakfast, that being my only meal of the day. I can't eat 5 meals a day like a lot of people in this world do. I just keep wanting more and more if I eat like that. So let's start posting food logs and encourage each other.

I will try to check in each day. Today will be an earlier rm and I just got in from my morning run. I am having coffee and later a diet mt. dew. Rm is a planned unbalanced rm of 1/2 cup roasted almonds, 1/2 pineapple, 2 lg. carrot cake Costco cupcakes. Tomorrow is a bbg of ribeye, salad, DQ ice cream cake.
Good idea, Oriana. As different as we all are, we can learn from and encourage one another.

I'm just the opposite of you (except in the matter of fruit) in that I do best with several small meals, and also do best if I don't start eating until later in the day. The earlier I eat, the earlier the hungry monster within wakes up and starts demanding more, More, MORE. If I am a little hungry when I wake up, water or green tea takes care of it.

I also have to record calories if I want to lose, much as I hate it. But to keep from driving myself bonkers and then quitting, I don't obsess and compulse about it. That is, I don't record every celery stalk and broccoli twig. (According to this website, you really do burn more energy in digesting celery than is available in the celery itself, and I figure the same holds true for raw cabbage and other fibrous veggies http://www.******.com/fitness-articl...-calories.html .) Also, while I measure or weigh things like rice and meat, I guestimate lower-calorie things like nonfat dressing and salad greens. For things like yogurt, I have some Pyrex bowls with a line around them at the 1-cup mark -- it's part of the design, but conveniently placed. Lastly, I've made a list on my computer of the calorie counts for the things I eat most often, so I don't have to look them up every time.

Anyway, today is a JUDDD down day and I haven't eaten yet, but will shortly have a small boiled egg (60 calories) and a Jimmie Dean turkey sausage link (33 calories.) Will post full day's intake later.

Have a wonderful and successful day, everyone!
Old 05-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #715
Senior LCF Member

Hi, everyone. I hope you are all having fantastic weekends. It looks like my maintenance plan is starting to take form, as I've found myself having full cheat days twice a week on Fridays and Saturdays or Saturdays and Sundays. Yesterday I ate half of a roast beef Publix sub, steamed veggies, and a cupcake as an RM. I ended up going to a Grand Opening party at the studio where I teach dance classes, and I drank a whole bottle of cheap champagne. Boy, am I paying today. I was partying too hard to be hungry, so I didn't eat anything else. I looked online, though, and that stupid bottle of champagne was 1,000+ calories, so it definitely qualified as a cheat day!!

I'm also making today a full cheat day, so this afternoon I had a #1 at Chic-Fil-A that I couldn't finish for some reason, probably because I'm hungover. I'm recovering now, and there are two homemade pizzas made by my husband about to be put in the oven for dinner! I'm really excited because he makes great pizza. One is a cheese, onion, and mushroom pizza, and the other is a Philly cheesesteak pizza. He hasn't made these in a while, so it will be interesting to see how much I can eat. I used to be able to eat a whole pizza by myself. I'll try to remember to get a picture tonight as well. One thing's for sure, after last night and today, I'm going to be very careful for a couple of days.

One thing that has really helped me throughout the journey is averaging my weights. I tend to swing up and down a few lbs throughout the week, so it's nice to see the overall weekly trend. It is one of the best tips the Hellers offered in my opinion. My trend so far is still very slowly moving down, but I'm not worried yet. I have been slowly adding in more cheat days and will continue to do so until I get to a weight that sticks. I think it's a good idea to go a couple of lbs under goal anyway, so that when you have really stressful weeks or vacations, there is some built in room to breathe. It's hard to believe I've been on maintenance for six weeks already!

110.3 TOM
108.5 TOM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140502_123703065_HDR.jpg (48.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #716
Senior LCF Member

Here's today's menu. It was a slightly more difficult down day than some because I had a couple of up, up and away days this week instead of following CAD. Or even coming close.

Small boiled egg = 60
Turkey sausage = 33
Veggie broth = 10
1 home made taco = 170
1 turkey sausage = 33
3 oz baked chicken breast = 90
1 C broccoli = 30
Salad dressing = 5
1 C almond milk = 30

Total: 461
There were some celery sticks and salad greens I didn't count.

Before I go to bed I'll have a snack -- most likely a small boiled egg at 60 cal (I buy the six-egg packs of Eggland's Best boiled and peeled eggs), or else a half cup of Fage plain 2% Greek yogurt for 85 cal.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #717
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all, I have been incorporating high fat with my rm and am losing again. I was 107.5 today. Read Chistine Cronau. She is a high fat low carb advocate and very against the low fat rage. You really need the fat to feel satisfied and according to her you cannot gain on fat. Now if you add a bunch of carbs, yes. I stick to my one meal and eat mostly fat and protein. Now I see why I was gaining on so much fruit and not satisfied even after eating a lot of fruit. How is everyone? I had ribeye last night with a salad and ranch, mug of ice cream and diet coke. Lost 1.5 pounds.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #718
Major LCF Poster!

Kat, if I cheat I don't gain as much or anything if I had ice cream or reesees or snickers for lunch and then a meal at night of mostly protein, salad and ice cream. I think it is the high fat . It sounds like you are doing mostly the Big Breakfast maintenance plan. You usually have a big breakfast at 11 a.m. and then a low carb meal at night. You are allowed a cheat day on the 7th day for maintenance.

Last edited by oriana; 05-05-2014 at 06:34 AM..
Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #719
Major LCF Poster!

Where's the pizza picture??? How did you do, Kat!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #720
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It sounds like you are doing mostly the Big Breakfast maintenance plan. You usually have a big breakfast at 11 a.m. and then a low carb meal at night. You are allowed a cheat day on the 7th day for maintenance.
Actually, my maintenance is all over the place, but that's the way I like it! I'm having two cheat days a week, and I've been going back and forth in having late or early RMs. My RMs have been as late as dinner, but I do agree that I lose best when I eat my big meal early.

I have included a picture of the pizzas we ate. They weren't as yummy as usual because he didn't have time to let the dough fully proof. We still ended up eating at around 9 PM even with them not fully rising. I ate 6 slices, so not quite a whole pizza, but still a good chunk. I finished off the rest for breakfast the next day as an RM and then ate chicken cordon bleu (unbreaded) with broccoli as my CM.

Today it's back to sandwiches, and I'm at 109.6. I was at 107.8 on Saturday, though, so I think it's just water retention from all the salt. Today I'm doing the usual sandwich RM with a chicken and cheesy spinach CM.

I'm really busy with work for the next few weeks, so I apologize if I don't post that much. Even if I don't post or don't have time for pictures, I will always faithfully update my weekly average in my profile details to keep myself honest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140503_204535892.jpg (42.3 KB, 12 views)