Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #601
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
No what is weird is that I am fine when I eat a fruit and carrot cake cupcake rm with alot of sugar involved. It is when I eat a "good" rm like steak, salad, ice cream like last night that I get all weird. You would think the carby fruit and dessert rm which, by the way, I always lose a couple pounds on and feel awesome with, would be the one I would get these spells with. I don't eat breakfast.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #602
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CindyLou
Stats: 165/165/135 (5'1")
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Start Date: 7/1/2014 restart
Today was good.
I tried my RM at lunch today and I think I like it. Yesterday, I had it at dinner time. I will stick with a lunch RM for the rest of my first week and see how it works for me.

My RM today was chicken salad on lettuce, cucumbers, popcorn with butter.

I feel great! Can't wait until tomorrow.
CindyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #603
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
No what is weird is that I am fine when I eat a fruit and carrot cake cupcake rm with alot of sugar involved. It is when I eat a "good" rm like steak, salad, ice cream like last night that I get all weird. You would think the carby fruit and dessert rm which, by the way, I always lose a couple pounds on and feel awesome with, would be the one I would get these spells with. I don't eat breakfast.
Boy, that's very strange. But at least it doesn't sound like what I know of diabetes (DH has mild type 2). It still might not hurt to get a doctor's opinion.

Sighhhhhhhhhh--that carrot cake cupcake sounds heavenly. CC is one of my favorite things, and the minute I read your post--well, it's just a good thing McAlister's Deli closed about half an hour ago, or I'd be mightily tempted to throw a robe on over my nightgown and dash up there for a slice to go. Theirs is one of the best. Of course, I'd ruin a thus-far successful JUDDD down day!

Take care, and let us know if you ever find out what is causing your strange symptoms.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #604
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLou View Post
Today was good.
I tried my RM at lunch today and I think I like it. Yesterday, I had it at dinner time. I will stick with a lunch RM for the rest of my first week and see how it works for me.

My RM today was chicken salad on lettuce, cucumbers, popcorn with butter.

I feel great! Can't wait until tomorrow.

Good going, CindyLou! You may have the most virtuous RMs of anybody here. It sounds delicious, too.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #605
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
[B]]

Kat, do you eat breakfast? If so, what do you typically eat?
I usually don't wake up until around 9:30 or so because I work online late at night. Usually I just wait until 11:00 am and have my big RM meal. If I do eat breakfast, though, it's usually eggs and/or sausage and bacon, etc. Very occasionally I like to have a huge, old-fashioned breakfast like I got at home with biscuits and gravy, ham, sausage, the works!

Beadelia, I am CRAZY for McCalister's Deli!! I could eat one of their spuds pretty much anytime, especially the chicken and cheese spud. Now I'm craving McCalister's!
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #606
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliejon View Post
So here's the deal... Tuesday, I weighed 306.6... Wednesday (my fresh start day), I didn't get on the scale. I noticed my pants were tight... This morning, I am 309!!!!! Ugh!!! So logically I know I didn't gain more than two pounds yesterday (I stuck to my CAD plan), but I am definitely discouraged... Feeling like rock bottom!!

I should not have even gotten on the scale. I know better to know if I feel good it's best to stay away from the numbers...

I have not eaten right today... bad emotional eating habits... The one thing that will not help me lose weight is the one thing I always do.

I'm venting... I had a really good CAD day yesterday. Who knows - maybe the scale would have said 310 if I hadn't!! But 309 is the highest my scale has ever shown!!!!

Today is payday. I'm going to buy some good CM veggies and proteins when I go to the grocery store.

Feeling defeated...
allie, try this... overload on protein. protein speeds your metabolism. even if your meal is not heller-balanced, having a LOT of protein will help you a lot. i know CAD is not about calorie counting, but a calorie of carbs and a calorie of protein are NOT equal.

also, the timing of your meal makes a big difference. the later you eat, the higher the scale will show in the morning.

if you overloaded on carbs during your first few days, feeling the freedom of the liberty of having them, that's normal. after a week or so, you won't feel the need to take advantage of this liberty as heartily. give yourself a break.

btw, before i started losing weight in 2012, i'd increased my protein consumption dramatically to aid in my weakness toward depression. losing weight was a by-product, i'd long ago given up. it was two months before i realized i was onto something. the protein overload caused the weight to come off. before i realized what was happening, i'd lost almost 20 pounds. (probably more because i initially was afraid to get onto the scale.)

maybe you're a big meat eater already, but if not, i'd seriously work on that. it could make all the difference in the world. (i strive for 100 g protein daily. i rarely get that high, but i'm more conscious of protein intake than i am even carbs.)
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #607
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
I usually don't wake up until around 9:30 or so because I work online late at night. Usually I just wait until 11:00 am and have my big RM meal. If I do eat breakfast, though, it's usually eggs and/or sausage and bacon, etc. Very occasionally I like to have a huge, old-fashioned breakfast like I got at home with biscuits and gravy, ham, sausage, the works!

Beadelia, I am CRAZY for McCalister's Deli!! I could eat one of their spuds pretty much anytime, especially the chicken and cheese spud. Now I'm craving McCalister's!

Oops, sorry, Kat. Isn't it funny how just a few words can start our mouths watering (of which the TV ads take full advantage). McAlister's is one of the reasons I'll probably never move back to the Pacific Northwest. They haven't made it up there yet, and how could I survive without an occasional Spud Max washed down with an Arnold Palmer? It's definitely an RM dish, but the good news is that I can easily get two meals out of it. Their soups and sandwiches are wonderful, too. So is their cheesecake, which is the desert I usually order. (Though right now I'm craving the carrot cake.) And their chocolate cake is the best ever, although eating a whole piece puts me into a near stupor. Sighhhh--I guess it's easy to see how I got in the shape I'm in (round)--I love good food, and especially good carbs!

BTW, your old-fashioned breakfast sounds wonderful! It sounds like the breakfasts we used to get when we visited my grandparents' farm. It was in Colorado, but both grandparents were from Texas and ate Southern. Grandpa smoked his own hams, too, and you just can't buy ham like that anywhere.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #608
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
allie, try this... overload on protein. protein speeds your metabolism. even if your meal is not heller-balanced, having a LOT of protein will help you a lot. i know CAD is not about calorie counting, but a calorie of carbs and a calorie of protein are NOT equal.

also, the timing of your meal makes a big difference. the later you eat, the higher the scale will show in the morning.

if you overloaded on carbs during your first few days, feeling the freedom of the liberty of having them, that's normal. after a week or so, you won't feel the need to take advantage of this liberty as heartily. give yourself a break.

btw, before i started losing weight in 2012, i'd increased my protein consumption dramatically to aid in my weakness toward depression. losing weight was a by-product, i'd long ago given up. it was two months before i realized i was onto something. the protein overload caused the weight to come off. before i realized what was happening, i'd lost almost 20 pounds. (probably more because i initially was afraid to get onto the scale.)

maybe you're a big meat eater already, but if not, i'd seriously work on that. it could make all the difference in the world. (i strive for 100 g protein daily. i rarely get that high, but i'm more conscious of protein intake than i am even carbs.)

Jenericstewart, thank you for posting your story for Alliejon. I did not know that about a lot of protein speeding your metabolism, or that a lot of protein could help with depression. (Although I have long known that sugar can bring it on.) I really don't like meat much at all, and can't eat much soy, but will try stepping up the protein consumption to wake up a sluggish metabolism. Happily, green tabasco and Frank's hot sauce do a good job of covering the taste of meat while adding few or no calories.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #609
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
Jenericstewart, thank you for posting your story for Alliejon. I did not know that about a lot of protein speeding your metabolism, or that a lot of protein could help with depression. (Although I have long known that sugar can bring it on.) I really don't like meat much at all, and can't eat much soy, but will try stepping up the protein consumption to wake up a sluggish metabolism. Happily, green tabasco and Frank's hot sauce do a good job of covering the taste of meat while adding few or no calories.
i never was much of a protein eater myself. but i have learned, and my body now craves it. the highest protein content in foods that i typically buy is in cottage cheese and poultry. i buy a LOT of oscar meyer turkey sausage, slicing off chunks when i need to get my protein up. tastes like kielbasa. what's not to like about that? even then, what's not to like about bacon? lol (i don't have problems with cholesterol, so i don't worry about fats.)

i do buy protein powder from walmart. i usually have a scoop once per day, which comes in at a whopping 30 g protein. if i have skim milk with that, it's 38 g. it's painless and only "costs" me 250 calories. besides, it tastes nummy.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #610
Senior LCF Member

i also have a racing heartbeat when i have a free day. yesterday, i ate a LOT. i think my heart beats faster cause it's burning off the food.

i do not have diabetes or high blood pressure, but when my heartbeats faster than its usual 50-55 beats per second, it feels like its racing.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #611
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
i never was much of a protein eater myself. but i have learned, and my body now craves it. the highest protein content in foods that i typically buy is in cottage cheese and poultry. i buy a LOT of oscar meyer turkey sausage, slicing off chunks when i need to get my protein up. tastes like kielbasa. what's not to like about that? even then, what's not to like about bacon? lol (i don't have problems with cholesterol, so i don't worry about fats.)

i do buy protein powder from walmart. i usually have a scoop once per day, which comes in at a whopping 30 g protein. if i have skim milk with that, it's 38 g. it's painless and only "costs" me 250 calories. besides, it tastes nummy.
Do you JUDDD on down days and CAD/CALP on up days? That's what I'm trying, and so far it seems to be working, albeit slowly. I've only lost 1.2 lbs on each of the past two weeks, averaging my weights, but that's 2.4 lbs I'd still be wearing otherwise, so I'll take it!

I use the Jimmie Dean turkey sausage links (30 calories each) for quick protein snacks, and they work pretty well and don't taste so "meaty." I also use Applegate Farms chicken or turkey hot dogs, which have no sugar and no preservatives, and are 60 calories each for the chicken and 50 for the turkey.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #612
Senior LCF Member

i do a JUDDD down day if i have a pig-out day, like i did yesterday. today i'm trying to completely fast. if i can't do it, i'll do a JUDDD down day, with my supper by 5 p.m. (switching to JUDDD following a free day erases my bad behavior fairly quickly. lol)

lately i only switch to resorting to JUDDD down days when i have a free day. usually i do CAD, having my RM just after noon. i feel better when i do that, rather than grazing all day. grazing makes me crazy craving.

your turkey sounds like our family's way of eating. i think you probably get more protein out of them, versus beef versions.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 04-18-2014 at 12:15 PM..
Old 04-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #613
Junior LCF Member

That is interesting info about protein. I have been reading so much lately about how too much protein is not good. But honestly, I feel better with more protein vs more fat.

My lunch RM today was at Wendy's: double cheese burger (no bun), side salad w/ ranch, small french fries (I love fries )

I am still pretty stuffed. I will probably just eat a small omelet with peppers and onions for dinner if I get hungry before bedtime.

I am so excited! This diet is great!

One thing I need to work on is slowing down when I eat. I eat tooooooo fast!

Last edited by CindyLou; 04-18-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Old 04-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #614
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
i do a JUDDD down day if i have a pig-out day, like i did yesterday. today i'm trying to completely fast. if i can't do it, i'll do a JUDDD down day, with my supper by 5 p.m. (switching to JUDDD following a free day erases my bad behavior fairly quickly. lol)

lately i only switch to resorting to JUDDD down days when i have a free day. usually i do CAD, having my RM just after noon. i feel better when i do that, rather than grazing all day. grazing makes me crazy craving.

your turkey sounds like our family's way of eating. i think you probably get more protein out of them, versus beef versions.

You really seem to have your strategy and your body figured out! I hope I'm getting there, but still learning.

This weekend may be a disaster, with family events tonight, tomorrow and Sunday. I'm hoping to avoid a complete debacle by making non-even meals low cal and low carb, and then doing your meat and egg thing on Monday and maybe also on Wednesday.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #615
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
You really seem to have your strategy and your body figured out! I hope I'm getting there, but still learning.
i've been at this for almost 2 years. i did a LOT of struggling to figure out what would work for me, keeping cravings in check and the weight moving. before 2012, i'd given up on dieting decades before, after failure after failure. i didn't know the key. at 52, i now feel like i understand how things work more fully. yes, we're all different, but some aspects of dieting are universal.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 04-18-2014 at 04:36 PM..
Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #616
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
UPDATE

Hi all! I am still out here. Last week was my birthday week and a vacation where hubby and I got to go to the ocean for a trip just the two of us (no kids) and was our first night away together and alone in over 10 years. Needless to say that trip was a "cheat" trip but only one day was overdone with alcohol more than once a day. Anyway, on Monday I was 220.4 lbs! Today on Saturday I am at 213. 4 lbs!!!

7 Pounds in 5 days lost. Not too shabby. What I am doing is a modified juice fast ala Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead style along with CAD. It is not strict CAD since I am technically having some carbs (veggie based) at more than one meal but my focus is a "reboot" (hyper nutrients back to the body and resetting taste buds with REAL food).

What I am doing is juicing along with meat/protein sources. Some resistant starch with cold baked potatoes or potato salad (I found an "all natural" one at Costco).

I have a fruity type juice for breakfast with apples, and another glass that is carrots, grapefruit, and today I will be adding oranges. This is my main "carby" meal of the day. I have a small pc of protein like a baked chicken leg or a couple of pc of string cheese with it. I am afraid of just juicing because I do feel the difference and know I am hyperinsulinemic and the main thing I have felt is getting sweaty about an hour after I eat which I assume is blood sugar crashing down. Otherwise I have tons of energy and feel great- and I mean GREAT!!!

For lunch and dinner (if I need a dinner) I have a big "mean green" juice that is cucumbers, celery, cilantro, parsley, kale, and some lemon and maybe an apple mixed in. Then I have whatever protein I want, and I also eat a whole cucumber, carrot, and avocado along with it.

For a snack or meal I will sometimes just have the juice along with a whole cucumber and a piece of landjager which is a type of German pepperoni that is delicious. It just depends on the day.

Oh- also I am back to exercising as well and have been doing this for the last couple of weeks. I walk a mile in about 30 minutes, then do a total body series of arms, legs, abs that is strict calisthenics that kicks butt.

My goal is to maybe slowly go into a total juice only fast for a while, then go back to the modified version I am doing along with protein and then merge into more strict CALP with a focus on mainly whole foods and maybe two "junk" carb meals a week.

I think in review of my last 18 months I just slowly started carb loading more and more and hence the stall and then slow gain. I knew all along I would get serious again if I regained 5-10 lbs so when that happened I decided to head it off!

MIW
Old 04-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #617
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mayflowers
Stats: 201/197/140
WOE: Low Carb/CAD/Atkins Mix Up
Start Date: 4/13/14
Hi MIW thanks for the invite Looks like a very nice bunch of members over here!
I like to do my CAD as close to vegetarian as I can but lately I fell off the wagon and I have been eating turkey and some red meat. I'm getting ready to move back to my home town so when I do I will be more strict. I do love vegetables. I've been doing the Stress Eater's program with the RM for Breakfast. It takes a little getting used to but I seem to have more energy throughout the day. I usually had my rm at lunch.
Mayflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #618
Junior LCF Member

Hi, Makeitwork and Mayflowers. I have only been posting here for a few days. Makeitwork I see you have been doing this diet for a while. How do you like it? Mayflowers, when did you start?

Last night I had a bad moment. I saw my son's tootsie rolls and gave in. I had one fat one and then I had a few M&Ms.

Today's lunch RM: roasted chicken thighs, salad, cucumbers, strawberries with sour cream, and potato chips. That was a lot of food. I know the chips don't exactly "match" the rest of the meal but I have been thinking about them for two days now! . I am trying to go with the flow and just have what I am craving (at the RM of course) instead of putting limits on myself.

If I get a craving for candy later today I will have cheese instead.

Last edited by CindyLou; 04-19-2014 at 12:18 PM..
Old 04-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #619
Major LCF Poster!

Cindylou:

I have been doing some form of CAD be it CALP, or even SEC and Rachel Heller's way which was one meal a day off and on since November 1, 2012... so like 17 months or so?

Anyway, I was slowly and consistently losing and doing the weekly averages. I slowly got into intermittent fasting and High calorie wt loss along with it but found I was bulking up on carb more and more and just the last couple months started to gain. Plus I was consuming alcohol at my RM's this last month which really does cause gain. I doubt it can be incorporated daily at an RM, even with strict balancing of carbs/protein ratio and not cause a gain.

So I can say it definitely does work! I lost 20 pounds in that time frame and I was easily eating 1800-3500 calories most days and losing. But the rate of loss did not last and I was actually in a stall and just maintenance of that amount for the last 8 months.

My newest "thing" is to try to do CAD along with juicing, as close as possible. Basically I am just cutting out all junk carbs and eating whole fruits and veggies, or juicing them up and eating only those as carbs, with the occasional potato thrown in. NO sugar or wheat or anything processed.

If you go back to the 2012 Hangout and 2013 Hangout forum and read through all the archives you can see many of us doing fine on CAD and slowly losing, plus a lot of us used to post our daily and weekly wts and averages!

The main thing is to keep at it- there will be good days and bad days but that is true of any diet or lack of diet so don't derail just because you have a day where you eat more carbs than planned. Also just keep honest and if you see what you are doing is not working or you are gaining own it and make the changes needed

MIW
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #620
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers View Post
Hi MIW thanks for the invite Looks like a very nice bunch of members over here!
I like to do my CAD as close to vegetarian as I can but lately I fell off the wagon and I have been eating turkey and some red meat. I'm getting ready to move back to my home town so when I do I will be more strict. I do love vegetables. I've been doing the Stress Eater's program with the RM for Breakfast. It takes a little getting used to but I seem to have more energy throughout the day. I usually had my rm at lunch.
Hi Mayflowers! I have been on both groups the same amount of time but I have found this one to be both more active and more open to other WOE and treating us all like individuals. I always said only I can study myself. The Heller's didn't study me! LOL

I also found more people here have read other of the Heller's books like the SEC and the original CAD book, as well as other high protein diets. I know several where we are doing many techniques to minimize hyperinsulinemia while still being able to eat well and not get obsessive about food and calories or feel deprived. It is definitely a slow process but one person can find "their" own best diet!

MIW
Old 04-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #621
Junior LCF Member

Juicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
My newest "thing" is to try to do CAD along with juicing, as close as possible. Basically I am just cutting out all junk carbs and eating whole fruits and veggies, or juicing them up and eating only those as carbs, with the occasional potato thrown in. NO sugar or wheat or anything processed.
Hi MIW,
Interesting. So on your RM, you just juice? That's not bad at all. I was going to start adding fresh green juice to my Big Breakfast. Today I moved my meal to lunch or dinner whenever I have the Easter dinner. I'm cooking Italian..because I am Italian so it's tradition with pasta and sausage and sauce with garlic bread and I'm making a pineapple upside down cake.

My favorite CAD to follow was the first book. I just ate low carb from the list and then at RM I ate whatever I wanted.. Didn't start with the 1/3 salad vegetable and protein. I love vegetables anyway so I ate pretty good. I lost 11 lbs on that diet. But Just like any WOE, it does require a little discipline, especially when I'm used to snaking at night and I have to stop.

I found it interesting that you started adding more and more carbs to your RM until you started gaining. I wonder if you tried changing your RM if that would have made a difference because with me the longer I stayed on it, the less I wanted to eat. This diet for me is a GREAT appetite suppressant! I did find that since I've gotten older, that having the RM for dinner wasn't working. When I moved it to lunch, I started losing again. I also think how active I am has a lot to do with it. People will never escape exercise! My sister had a gastric bypass but she is gaining her weight back because she won't exercise.
Exercise like walking, really help suppress the appetite and cravings. Well for me anyway. The more I exercise, the less hungry I am. If you remember, Hoppin from the other board worked out a lot and she was never hungry.
So I will do the Big Breakfast so that I can get some nice green juice in and see how that works. Just takes a while to get used to eating more in the morning. Well I'm down a pound this week so it's working..
Old 04-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #622
Junior LCF Member

Candy

Quote:

Last night I had a bad moment. I saw my son's tootsie rolls and gave in. I had one fat one and then I had a few M&Ms.
Hi Cindy,
I keep trying all these stupid new diets coming out and I always end up going back to the CAD diet. Low carb works for me but it's really hard to stay on it and the CAD gives me more variety and I don't feel like I'm on a diet. I even tried Food Lovers Diet for a month and I just got more hungry eating all the time. I don"t like to be hungry. I hardly lost anything and I knew I didn't want to be hungry all the time, unless I followed it low carb. I don't like to be thinking of food. When I'm really hungry I will think about food, but not if I'm satisfied from a meal. What I like about the CAD is when the RM comes I just heat what I want, no counting no weighing and measuring..and I eat till I'm comfortable. In the beginning I stuffed myself but after a few days, that urge goes away and I started eating normal at my RM.
Yesterday I was craving chocolate because I got lazy and didn't make a low carb meal . If I did, I wouldn't have craved it. I read Wheat Belly and I know I feel better off wheat so that's my next plan after I move next week. I also lose weight faster when I'm off wheat.
Next spring I'm going on a Disney cruise so I need to get this weight off so I can be active and enjoy myself
Old 04-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #623
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Quote:
I found it interesting that you started adding more and more carbs to your RM until you started gaining. I wonder if you tried changing your RM if that would have made a difference because with me the longer I stayed on it, the less I wanted to eat. This diet for me is a GREAT appetite suppressant! I did find that since I've gotten older, that having the RM for dinner wasn't working. When I moved it to lunch, I started losing again. I also think how active I am has a lot to do with it. People will never escape exercise! My sister had a gastric bypass but she is gaining her weight back because she won't exercise.
Exercise like walking, really help suppress the appetite and cravings. Well for me anyway. The more I exercise, the less hungry I am. If you remember, Hoppin from the other board worked out a lot and she was never hungry.
So I will do the Big Breakfast so that I can get some nice green juice in and see how that works. Just takes a while to get used to eating more in the morning. Well I'm down a pound this week so it's working..
I experienced this as well! The longer I've been on CAD/CALP, the more manageable my hunger and cravings have become. Yesterday I went to a baby shower and a huge piece of delicious-looking cake was placed right in front of me. I shrugged and passed it to the next person because I was thinking about the burger, fries, and malt I was planning on having for an RM later. CAD just seems to take all of the urgency out of my cravings. It used to be that if cake was placed in front of me, I would eat it because I'd be thinking, "Who knows when I'll allow myself to have it again?" That type of thinking always lead to failure.

Speaking of which, even after a bodacious cheat day yesterday of a burger, fries, and chocolate malted shake, and then half of a medium pizza from NYPD pizza plus two and a half fried mozzarella sticks, I am only up to 109.4 today. I have no idea how that works, but I did have to teach two classes yesterday, including a private lesson, so I sweated up a storm.

Here are my maintenance weekly averages so far:

Week 1: 109.4
Week 2: 110.3 TOM
Week 3: 109.2
Week 4: 109.1

So far, so good. By the way, it's great to see you back, MIW. 7 lbs in less than a week is ridiculously good!
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #624
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi MIW,
Interesting. So on your RM, you just juice? That's not bad at all. I was going to start adding fresh green juice to my Big Breakfast. Today I moved my meal to lunch or dinner whenever I have the Easter dinner. I'm cooking Italian..because I am Italian so it's tradition with pasta and sausage and sauce with garlic bread and I'm making a pineapple upside down cake.
:
I guess my RM would be the breakfast juice session because I have the apple juice and the orange/carrot/grapefruit juice so it contains the most carbs. I also have a couple pc of string cheese.

However, other meals I have a lot of green juice and a sm amt of potato salad which also contains carbs so technically I am not doing CAD but I am doing a modified low carb. I have some form of protein with my juices.

Yesterday I worked out hard and I had 3 meals:

B- apple juice, "orange" juice (because of the color ) 2 pc string cheese
L- Green juice, 4 oz baked rabbit meat, 3/4 C all natural potato salad, whole cucumber, 1/2 C almonds 1/2 C walnuts
D- Green juice, landjager (pepperoni), 2 fried eggs

I also drink 2-3 liters a day now. I am actually thirsty more now that I am juicing compared to before.

Today I am up to 214.8 lbs. Yesterday I was 213.8 lbs (The 213.4 lbs was a typo and I couldn't go back and edit it). So up one pound but I am on last day of TOM and I exercised fairly hard. The only thing different I did yesterday was the nuts and the eggs so that could have been it also. I will just take it day by day.

MIW
Old 04-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #625
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi MIW,

Actually back in Nov 2012 when I first started that is what happened. I just went by natural hunger and was really focused on eating better and was eating more whole foods. I was shocked at how well my hunger was controlled and whenever one first starts CAD that is usually the most noticeable side effect of the diet. It controls you insulin release and you feel less hungry.

However, I was doubly shocked when I did random audits and found I was eating 1200-1500 calories a day and I decided that wasn't how I wanted to lose the weight by calorie deprivation. I have done that enough in my life. The Heller's claimed it wasn't by cutting calories but by cutting insulin release. So I slowly started eating more and more. I also went to intermittent fasting and cut out a meal and I also didn't want to lose those calories so I upped my calories at my other meals. It actually worked for several months and I was eating 1800-2500 calories and the final month it still "worked" I was eating 3000-4000 calories daily. I couldn't believe it!!! I was doing my RM as my only meal and early in the morning being done eating by 10am most days. Sadly it did not last but I proved to myself it was possible to eat large caloric heavy meals and still lose.

As to the exercise- yes it does help. Especially people who are hyperinsulinemic or diabetic. It makes our cells more receptive to insulin uptake so we become more insulin sensitive which is what we want. The more excess insulin you have floating around the bloodstream the more resistant the cells become to it and it causes hunger and fat storage. Plus it burns calories, keeps your metabolism burning better and longer, increases strength and muscle mass (if done properly), and makes you fell and look better and sleep better. What's not to love about it? LOL

I wish our culture was more into using our bodies. I think we play lip service to being fit but as a nation we are just too into sedentary activities and passive entertainments. It's funny that there are almost as many gyms around as fast food places but I keep reading over and over to lose weight it's 80% what you eat and 20% what you do so we really collectively need to start eating better for weight loss and the results will show up better at the gym. KatMc could probably attest to that one.

MIW
Old 04-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #626
Major LCF Poster!

My workouts if anyone is interested:

I have 5 acres and along the perimeter fence-line I have set up a trail that is just about 1/4 mile one time around. I walk it 4-5 times. I want to build up to 8 times. So for now I walk a mile a day. I can do it in 20-25 minutes if I just walk, but most times it takes me 30 minutes as a long stretch is straight and flat and I do a leg lift march walk when I come to that and I also do a bunch of arm exercises while I walk and those two things slow me down on my time.

After my walk (aerobic exercise) I go into calisthenics. I have touted the book "Convict Conditioning" by Paul Wade. The premise is supposed to be the types of exercises felons do in prison and how they are able to get so strong and big without a gym. It is all about using your own body and it's weight. There is controversy about the author's back story of being a felon is true or not but the book is solid and legit in terms of the exercises and promises. There is a video on youtube if you search for "Ukraine street workout" and it shows people doing some amazing feats of strength with their bodies and they mainly train with only their body and no weights to get super strong.

So I do a total body of legs and arms and abs that is all callisthenic. I do squats, plies but my legs are at shoulder width and not together, I do tons of "bun" leg exercises, inner thigh exercises, modified push ups and pull up (working up to regular ones but have to modify due to my weight and strength). I do many types of ab exercises but they are not really full sit ups or crunches. I do types that use more core and whole body strength like leg lifts and reverse mountaineers where you lay on your back but do a climbing motion with your arms and legs in the air that kills!

Anyway the concept of calisthenics is that you are using your own body's weight to build strength and that you are NOT isolating one or two sets of muscles which is what modern gym equipment work out equipment does. With calisthenics you use almost the whole body in one form or another and it builds total body strength, balance, and the "super" strength comes in because it really builds up the tendons and ligaments at the joints where isolation techniques only bulks up the muscles and ends up making people weaker at their joints.

MIW
Old 04-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #627
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
Speaking of which, even after a bodacious cheat day yesterday of a burger, fries, and chocolate malted shake, and then half of a medium pizza from NYPD pizza plus two and a half fried mozzarella sticks, I am only up to 109.4 today. I have no idea how that works, but I did have to teach two classes yesterday, including a private lesson, so I sweated up a storm. !
Hi Kat
Do you have regular cheat days? Well today was one of mine. I made it until after lunch time.. had a cm breakfast.. then I had to start cooking for dinner and make a dessert. I just cracked and figured I'd cheat today and go back on it tomorrow, so I had a PB sandwich and then had some Easter candy. Then I had the regular dinner a few hours later. OMG I'm so stuffed now.
Well I'll exercise more and go right back on the CAD tomorrow and hope I keep losing next weigh in day.. which is next Sunday. I can't get into weighing myself every day. Its too OCD for me.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #628
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Actually back in Nov 2012 when I first started that is what happened. I just went by natural hunger and was really focused on eating better and was eating more whole foods. I was shocked at how well my hunger was controlled and whenever one first starts CAD that is usually the most noticeable side effect of the diet. It controls you insulin release and you feel less hungry. However, I was doubly shocked when I did random audits and found I was eating 1200-1500 calories a day and I decided that wasn't how I wanted to lose the weight by calorie deprivation. I have done that enough in my life. The Heller's claimed it wasn't by cutting
MIW
Hi MIW, I'm not understanding why you would start adding calories at your reward meal? What I'm getting is that you naturally were eating less calories by following the CAD. What's wrong with your body naturally lowering the calories? I can see if you were forcing yourself to eat 1200 calories a day but if its a natural thing that your body is doing, why mess with a good thing? I'm thinking all you did was sabotage yourself by adding more and more calories until your body couldn't take it anymore. I myself don't care if I don't eat a lot of calories as long as I'm eating healthy and getting enough to eat.(I take a lot of vitamins too)

It's a thing where you have to trust your body to know. Seems that you didn't trust your body to know, and you forced it to take in more calories than it wanted at the rm's until you started to gain again. Not to be rude, sorry. I'm just trying to figure out why calories were so important? I think the Hellers are right because after awhile the body will settle into the proper weight that is healthy for it. Do you think you're really a carbohydrate addict? I wonder since you're losing weight drinking a lot of sugary juices..especially fruit juices..

Last edited by Mayflowers; 04-20-2014 at 04:17 PM..
Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #629
Senior LCF Member

MIW, it's nice to have you back. Hope your trip to the coast was absolutely wonderful, and that you indulged in plenty of Pacific Northwest's delicious fresh seafood. Congratulations on getting rid of so much of your vacation weight gain so quickly!

Your workout sounds like a killer, but I never before thought about even the possibility that strengthening certain muscles alone might weaken our joints. Not that this old lady is in any danger of "bulking up" any muscles any time soon!

This weekend was a train wreck, diet wise, but tomorrow I'm getting right back to the program with something very close to Jenericstewart's straight meat and egg day. (I assume broth is allowed?) Hopefully that will help me get rid of any pounds I gained this weekend before they have a chance to settle in and feel at home.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #630
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alliejon
Stats: 320.8/316.4/145
Checking in...

JenEricStewart - thank you for the information on protein!! I haven't really done much of any program that last several days. Tomorrow morning I'm starting fresh and will take your advice on adding more protein.

Easter morning, I had a CM breakfast.... and I wasn't hungry at all after church, but hubby wanted to get a muffin at starbucks, and out of eny I did too!! I didn't even need it, but there you go... old habits.

Lunch and dinner were RM-ish, but nothing overboard. We had a pot luck lunch with family, and chicken for dinner.

The scale went down a couple of pounds after my venting last week. I think I was retaining water, because I haven't really earned the weightloss... But it goes to show you, the scale should not dictate your mood or motivation. I let that happen too often...

Happy Easter!