Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #571
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Welcome!!!!

the first few days are always the hardest, with any diet. don't white knuckle it. i would suggest that you make sure to have as many CMs as necessary. that will ease you into it mostly pain free.

if weight watchers was the only diet on the planet, i wouldn't be able to do it. thank the Lord it isn't!
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #572
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
Welcome!!!!

if weight watchers was the only diet on the planet, i wouldn't be able to do it. thank the Lord it isn't!
AMEN and AMEN! And heaven knows I've tried. Many times. But I invariably stalled, then regained, and I don't care what their ads say, I WAS ALWAYS HUNGRY! No only that, but each week when I went in to weigh in, they were always pushing sweet bars, cookies, etc. at me which, two points or not, gave me the craves. They even gave me free samples, which was like pushing me over a cliff, diet wise.

The sad thing is that the original WW was very, very different from the WW of today, and it did work. I think I've mentioned this before, but my mother, father, and aunt all lost a lot of weight on the original WW back in the 1970s, and they kept it off following the original WW ideas, and going back into weight loss mode if they started to regain. My mother died in 1980, but Dad stayed slim until he passed away in 2005, and my aunt is still slim at 97. She's a fabulous Texas cook, but says that she only eats like that when she has company--otherwise, she watches what she eats pretty carefully. If you Google up the original WW diet you find something that basically resembles CALP a lot more than it does today's WW. Basically, it's a low-carb diet with a list of allowed foods.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #573
Senior LCF Member

i don't know if i have my head in the sand, but one reason why i was able to lose weight with JUDDD (and periodic CAD for diet pressure relief) is that i did NOT have to change up the kinds of food i already ate. i had/have healthy eating habits anyway (hardly any "white" foods, low carbish, don't eat out more than once every two weeks, etc.), but i don't overload on veggies and fruits as WW and other diets call for either.

being able to eat the sorts of foods i typically eat when not dieting is more realistic. i wonder if this is one reason people regain lost weight so easily. yes, most diets prescribe a super healthy way of eating but there's more to life than the mentality of i-will-never-eat-another-pizza-again. i've learned moderation, as well as figuring out that i can eat a whole lot more with simply the timing of my food intake.

interesting on the original WW. my mom put me on it at 8. i have a severe loathing of cantalope and white fish because of it. neat how your family was able to keep it off.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #574
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Jenni, are you still doing the Big Breakfast Diet? OR are you eating early rms?
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #575
Major LCF Poster!

Does fruit make anyone extra hungry? I love it but it makes me ravenous. Also, I am gradually getting back to my early big breakfast rms. I always lose on that. I am presently eating around noon but am going to try to hit 10 a.m. this week. I love the free days on maintenance.

KAT, you would like the free day on the 7th day if you did the BBD. You wouldn't have those inlaws getting after you about eating like they do on the weekends. I try to have mine on Saturdays. I get to eat all day and love it. I haven't done one for awhile as I haven't been on maintenance. I like to weigh around 105. I am 107 today.

One more thing. I have found that I truly can eat 3000 calories as allowed for a big breakfast (or less for turbo weight loss). I lose or maintain if eating this amount in the a.m. but gain if eating it for a rm dinner.

Last edited by oriana; 04-16-2014 at 09:46 AM..
Old 04-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #576
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CindyLou
Stats: 165/165/135 (5'1")
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Start Date: 7/1/2014 restart
Hi again. My first day has been good so far. I plan to have my carbs with dinner.

The things that appeal to me about this diet are: No counting/tracking/writing, not giving up entire food groups, easy to eat out or with family

Why do you like it? Has this plan been what you expected it to be?
CindyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #577
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alliejon
Stats: 320.8/316.4/145
Start Date: October 2013
What I like about CAD...

CM lunch: pork and green beans and a few baked chicken wings... YUM!!!

Cindy Lou - I'm glad you are starting today too!! Jenni gave great advice to have as many CMs as I need starting out. I am a hungry girl. I really plan on at least three meals per day for my entire life. I will add a CM snack (or two if needed) when I need them. I don't aspire to reduce the number of meals. If I am not hungry, I won't eat. But that never happens to me, even when I'm fully on CAD.

What is different about CAD than any other program, is that it helps me not be so addicted to food. It addresses the cravings in my head. Granted, if I relax the rules, I get addicted right away, which is why I have not made CAD a successful lifestyle. I have had some successes with CAD and get all "i can handle it" and start relaxing the rules... Next thing you know I am eating out of control.

Tonight I will have a homemade stew that I made, along with quinoa and veggies. My treat will be a little bit of birthday cake and frozen chocolate milk. I am already thinking of all the things I will have at future RM meals... It's actually fun to think about having some things that as simple as a bowl of cereal!! Or a peanut butter/banana sandwich!! Or grilled cheese with tomato soup! I do original CAD and don't worry much about balancing my RMs...

CAD gives me hope. I just need to work the program. A couple of summers ago, I got down to 262!!! Which I hadn't been in about 12 years. But now I'm up to 306.6. This past year is the first time in my life I got in the 300s, and I'm not happy about it!! It's been very hard to get back down in the 200s. I think it has been more mental than anything. The more I stress about being in the 300s, the more I stress eat and give up trying.

This board means a great deal to me. The facebook group is just not that active.

Last edited by alliejon; 04-16-2014 at 10:51 AM..
alliejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #578
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
Having everything within walking distance is one thing we lose when we move to the suburbs. We can still go for walks, but we have to make ourselves do it. It isn't the same as walking to our every destination, guaranteeing that we take many steps every day.
This adds another dimension to the discussion my husband I have been having. We will probably be moving in a couple of months to the suburbs, whereas we have been living within walking distance of Publix and restaurants and a gym. I didn't even think about it, but this is really something to consider. Do you have any tips for forcing yourself to take walks? I'm usually not very good at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
Kat, I think I am going to have a sandwich for my rm and have and early lunch. I'll try your lunch yet I think mine will be bigger although I don't eat dinner like you do so should have similar calories. I am having a turkey sandwich with lettuce, mayo, mustard, a diet soda, lg. cupcake. Does that sound about like yours calorie wise? I run after school and if I wait to eat dinner I have no energy to run. Don't you feel like you burn more when you eat earlier too like with the Big Breakfast Diet? How often do you pigout. I can eat like a man.
That sounds about right to me. It seems like it's all about finding what works best for you. I know that when I was on Atkins or other low carb plans, all I could think about is how much I wanted a sandwich, lol! Now that I can have a sandwich every day if I want it, a lot of my anxieties about dieting have been lifted.

Quote:
Kat, I forgot to ask if you drink black coffee with a.m. or diet soda. I do and no issues.
I try to limit my diet soda habit to during RM, but sometimes I have one outside of it.

Today I weighed 109.0. For lunch I had a ham and cheddar and bacon sandwich on a bun, cheese chips, and also snap pea crisps with half of a Russel Stover chocolate bar for dessert. Tonight I will eat chicken cordon bleu with cauliflower for dinner.

Last edited by KatMck; 04-16-2014 at 11:03 AM..
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #579
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Jenni, are you still doing the Big Breakfast Diet? OR are you eating early rms?
i love the BBD, but i've been working at pushing it later and later. i'm up to around 1:00 p.m. when i eat later, i gain, but i think it's just a matter of time where i'll be able to eat my meal in the evening. i'm in the process of reverse dieting, microscopically increasing my caloric intake. at this point in time, i gain if eat much more than 1750, even if early in the morning.

fruit makes most people ravenous, i think. i've heard that many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliejon View Post

CAD gives me hope. I just need to work the program. A couple of summers ago, I got down to 262!!! Which I hadn't been in about 12 years. But now I'm up to 306.6. This past year is the first time in my life I got in the 300s, and I'm not happy about it!! It's been very hard to get back down in the 200s. I think it has been more mental than anything. The more I stress about being in the 300s, the more I stress eat and give up trying.
i'm so glad CAD gives you hope. i can certainly relate! one trick i've found that really gives me oomph is to have a day of just meat and egg (without calorie restriction!), basically no or very VERY low carb. it arrests my cravings. when i do JUDDD and have an unscheduled up-up-and-away day, i'd follow it with a meat/egg day, and the day after that, i'd be raring to go, with the vim and vigor to continue on.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 04-16-2014 at 11:07 AM..
Old 04-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #580
Senior LCF Member

I will have to look up JUDDD... I'm not familiar with this. But I will say, I have never been able to get through one day of Atkins in my entire life... I always cave... I have successfully fasted for medical procedures, so go figure!
Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #581
Senior LCF Member

basically, JUDDD is dieting everyother day. 1 day 500 calories, the next day varies, depending upon your weight. when i started, my high day was 2200 calories. i will NOT kid you...JUDDD is hard.

if you can lose on CAD, without calorie restriction, i wouldn't look elsewhere. CAD is wonderful! you can eat until you're full once a day. i tell ya, it's a dream diet. i do count calories because i have problems with leptin, since i was obese since age 11. my metabolism's messed up. but i'd think that for 99.9% of the population, they don't need to worry about it. (for me, if i'm given the liberty to eat what i want, i will eat the house. i need a cap on my calories. i know this is NOT the heller's design, but for me it is necessary.)
Old 04-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #582
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the explanation... I know I cannot do low calorie. I feel really bad when I do that. My husband tried to do that with the hcg shots... I forgot to eat the other day because I was running errands and I felt really horrible... That ends up making me want to eat everything in sight. I am one of those people who really cannot deprive myself, which is why I haven't been able to lose any substantial amount of weight. I'm hoping CAD will get me evened out with my emotional eating. I have lost with CAD a few different times, but just never stuck with it to reach my goal. Same with Weight watchers... success a few different times, but I don't think I've ever lost more than 30 pounds at one time.... And I need to lose over 100!!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #583
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=KatMck;16878202]This adds another dimension to the discussion my husband I have been having. We will probably be moving in a couple of months to the suburbs, whereas we have been living within walking distance of Publix and restaurants and a gym. I didn't even think about it, but this is really something to consider. Do you have any tips for forcing yourself to take walks? I'm usually not very good at that.

Me too neither. I just have to get behind myself and push, and I'm just getting back to it because of knee surgery and some post-surgical complications.

Oriana: Fruit makes me ravenous too, and even makes me feel shaky, especially if I eat it between meals or instead of meals. It isn't too bad if I have a small amount for dessert after a good meal.

Jenericstewart: Very good point about diets working better if you don't have to change the kinds of food you eat, at least not radically. (On WW I started to wonder if it was possible to die of celery poisoning.) However, for a carb lover like me, who would happily live on pizza and cheesecake with a cola chaser every day of my life if allowed, some change has to take place. I'm midway through my second week of JUDDD, and one of the best things about it is that I can eat pretty normally every other day. DDs are getting a bit easier, but when I tried using a commercial shake it messed me up. Much better to use real food, such as boiled eggs, celery sticks, or broth to deal with the hungries. And blessings on whoever it was who suggested using a romaine leaf as a base for a tuna sandwich. A romaine leaf also makes a passable "shell" for a taco!

JUDDD seems to be working, slowly, but I do find that I need to record calories, even on up days. I should have done that when I was doing straight CAD--my RMs got pretty wild, and you'd be amazed at the amount of food I can get around in one hour! I simply have to restrict calories one way or another--give me complete freedom and, like you, pretty soon I go hog wild and start eating everything that isn't marked with a skull and crossbones. Maybe some of us are just wired that way. I'm continuing to weigh daily and average my weights. This is such a wonderful strategy that I'm surprised every weight loss program doesn't recommend it.

Thank you for telling us about your straight meat and egg day to sort of reset yourself and arrest your cravings after an "unscheduled up-up-and-away day." I'm gonna try that Monday, because this Sunday I'm taking my family and friends to Blue Mesa's brunch, which is an Easter tradition with us. You never saw so much wonderful food, and I know I'm going to take full advantage of it!

You commented that it was interesting that my family was able to keep the weight off after losing it on the original WW. One strategy my parents implemented after WW, and I think they learned it from the program, was having their main meal at lunch and just eating something light at night--a small stir-fry, some soup, or their perennial favorite, a bowl of popcorn with a slice of good cheddar cheese. (Sounds odd, and it made their friends laugh, but it's good and it worked for them.) Sort of like the big breakfast concept?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #584
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
This adds another dimension to the discussion my husband I have been having. We will probably be moving in a couple of months to the suburbs, whereas we have been living within walking distance of Publix and restaurants and a gym. I didn't even think about it, but this is really something to consider. Do you have any tips for forcing yourself to take walks? I'm usually not very good at that.
don't laugh...since we live in (practically) the arctic, we have very few nice months, weather-wise. if it isn't snow, ice cold, or mud, it's a rare day. even then, i find exercising just for the idea of exercising extremely tedious. the clock moves slower than a snail. an exercise bike or treadmill makes me groan with dread.

first of all, get a good pedometer, so you can see your progress, no matter what you do, how you move, etc.

what i do is set up a walking path between my living room and kitchen. i wash one dish and do a lap around my path. we're constant clutterers, so when i run out of dishes, i pick up after everyone, and then do a rotation. one rotation for each item. i've even done this with folding laundry.

it's a mind thing, and it works for me, rain, snow, or shine. inside, i don't have to worry about rough terrain either (we live in the country). this feels painless and i don't dread it at all. on mondays, when i see a mountain of dirty dishes, i think "ah, right! lots of useFUL walking ahead!"
Old 04-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #585
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
don't laugh...since we live in (practically) the arctic, we have very few nice months, weather-wise. if it isn't snow, ice cold, or mud, it's a rare day. even then, i find exercising just for the idea of exercising extremely tedious. the clock moves slower than a snail. an exercise bike or treadmill makes me groan with dread.

first of all, get a good pedometer, so you can see your progress, no matter what you do, how you move, etc.

what i do is set up a walking path between my living room and kitchen. i wash one dish and do a lap around my path. we're constant clutterers, so when i run out of dishes, i pick up after everyone, and then do a rotation. one rotation for each item. i've even done this with folding laundry.

it's a mind thing, and it works for me, rain, snow, or shine. inside, i don't have to worry about rough terrain either (we live in the country). this feels painless and i don't dread it at all. on mondays, when i see a mountain of dirty dishes, i think "ah, right! lots of useFUL walking ahead!"

Jenericstewart, you are a genius! Living in the Dallas, Texas area, I have the opposite problem of you, weather-wise, much of the time. Thank heaven for AC. I do have a small circle I can walk inside my house (kitchen, hallway, living room, and back to the kitchen which is open at both ends), but getting myself to walk it is another matter.

I did try walking at a huge mall for a while, but first you have to get there and find a parking place, and then you have to resist the urge to shop. Your idea is much, much better, and gets your home all spruced up besides! Pure genius.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #586
Senior LCF Member

MIW, where art thou?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #587
Junior LCF Member

Day one went fairly well.

My reward meal was salmon patties, fried potatoes, and Brussels sprouts.

I am excited. I think I can do this!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #588
Major LCF Poster!

I eat more like my friend I posted about a few back.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #589
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLou View Post
Day one went fairly well.

My reward meal was salmon patties, fried potatoes, and Brussels sprouts.

I am excited. I think I can do this!
super! but, what?! no dessert! one thing i've learned from the BBD...even a small sweet during my RM really keeps me from thinking about it later on. if you don't need it, all power to ya.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #590
Major LCF Poster!

I can't have a BB or rm without dessert.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #591
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Alliejon! And CindyLou, that menu looks amazing! That sounds like a delicous and healthy RM! One of my favorite veggie treats is brussel sprouts cut in half and roasted in the oven after being shaken in a bag with olive oil and with salt and pepper sprinkled on top. I personally find that I lose more quickly if I either have something carby and savory or carby and sweet with my RM, but not both at the same time. I think it helps balance my meals. I only get bumps in weight during TOM or when I eat too much sodium or when I eat wildly unbalanced RMs. Of course, on some days I just have to eat a huge carb fest for that hour, and then I just keep calm and CAD on the next day when the scale is up!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:36 AM   #592
Junior LCF Member

I love desserts but I have been craving potatoes. Also, I have been trying to cut back on sugary treats for a while (not related to this diet). I will probably keep them to a minimum. It is a personal goal I have been working on.

KatMck, something I will have to work on is accepting those scale fluctuations. I will remember what you just said and "keep calm and CAD on"

Jeneric, I love your exercise plan. Fantastic idea!

Any other tips ladies?

I feel a little ashamed. KatMck we are the same height and your goal weight is so much lower than mine. I must confess I chose 130lb because I figured if I lose .5 pounds each week that's about where I will be in one year. I guess if I make it there and still feel too big I can keep going. I have read that we should be the weight we were at 18 yrs of age. I was about 100 lbs. No way do I want to be that small again. I looked terrible at 18.

Last edited by CindyLou; 04-17-2014 at 03:47 AM..
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 AM   #593
Senior LCF Member

It looks like we were about the same starting weight, too! I was a little over 150 when I started losing but around 130 when I started CAD. 125 was my original goal from 150, but then I found CAD so simple and natural that when I hit 120, I pushed my goal down to 115, and then when I hit 115, I pushed it down to 110 and crossed my fingers. I pushed my goal down with no pressure and just told myself that I hadn't hit those numbers in over a decade, so if I didn't hit them, I'd be happy with being 120. I can honestly say that I've never followed a diet that felt so right. It has really just felt like I've been teaching myself how to eat.

I do think that 110 is a little low, but I have a stocky build so it doesn't look too bobbleheady on me! I have found that a lot of ladies my height look much thinner at higher weights than me. Have you ever checked out My Body Gallery?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #594
Senior LCF Member

OMG - I shouldn't have gotten on the scale

So here's the deal... Tuesday, I weighed 306.6... Wednesday (my fresh start day), I didn't get on the scale. I noticed my pants were tight... This morning, I am 309!!!!! Ugh!!! So logically I know I didn't gain more than two pounds yesterday (I stuck to my CAD plan), but I am definitely discouraged... Feeling like rock bottom!!

I should not have even gotten on the scale. I know better to know if I feel good it's best to stay away from the numbers...

I have not eaten right today... bad emotional eating habits... The one thing that will not help me lose weight is the one thing I always do.

I'm venting... I had a really good CAD day yesterday. Who knows - maybe the scale would have said 310 if I hadn't!! But 309 is the highest my scale has ever shown!!!!

Today is payday. I'm going to buy some good CM veggies and proteins when I go to the grocery store.

Feeling defeated...
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #595
Senior LCF Member

I'm sorry to hear that, Alliejon. All kinds of weird things can affect your weight, so if you're sticking to the plan, the good must be on the way! It's just continuing to eat right even through that discouragement that is the tough part.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #596
Senior LCF Member

Thanks KatMck... I am inspired by your success as well as many others here... I wish I could fast forward to when I'll have some success to share. I am not worried about today, but I'll be back on plan tomorrow. Good Friday, I fast anyway, so it will be an easy day to get through.

It feels better now that I vented!!

Allie

Last edited by alliejon; 04-17-2014 at 11:01 AM..
Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #597
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
I do think that 110 is a little low, but I have a stocky build so it doesn't look too bobbleheady on me! I have found that a lot of ladies my height look much thinner at higher weights than me. Have you ever checked out My Body Gallery?
If that is you in your avatar I think you look great! I just checked out that site. It is really neat! Hopefully they are all being honest. The women with my shape and height look great at 130. I don't feel so bad now. I will just work to get there and then decide if it is where I want to remain.

Alliejon, I am sorry about the scale. I know it is tough. I can't offer any wisdom since I am just starting this diet but I hope you will see a drop tomorrow!

Last edited by CindyLou; 04-17-2014 at 11:49 AM..
Old 04-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #598
Major LCF Poster!

Anybody get heart palpitations after a rm. I ate steak, salad, ice cream bars last night and was fine until I ate. Then my heart felt like it was palpitating and racing and I felt dizzy this morning. This happens a lot after rms.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #599
Junior LCF Member

Oriana, that sounds scary! Are you diabetic? Maybe your blood sugar is going up too high because of the amount of carbs you eat at rm?

Kat, do you eat breakfast? If so, what do you typically eat?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #600
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Anybody get heart palpitations after a rm. I ate steak, salad, ice cream bars last night and was fine until I ate. Then my heart felt like it was palpitating and racing and I felt dizzy this morning. This happens a lot after rms.
Yes, I do. In fact, I've reacted this way to too much sugar or other rapidly absorbed carbs for many years, and it's far from pleasant. If I really overdo it, I can have dizziness at other times, and will sometimes get a nasty headache. Inevitably, overdoing sugar leads to brain fog, too, sometimes to the point where I'm afraid to drive.

CindyLou's question may be right on target. Years back I had one of those 5-hour, 7-sample glucose tolerance tests for hypoglycemia, and I went up into the diabetic range half an hour after drinking the syrupy glop they give you, but half an hour later, an hour after the glop, my blood sugar dropped so low that I was nearly into insulin shock according to my doctor.

Since you're doing this "a lot" after RMs, maybe it would be a good idea to ask your doctor for a glucose tolerance test. At the very least, you could try skipping the sweets for a couple of days. It might be that you're OK with carbs except for the ones you absorb rapidly. Or you may want to cushion the sweets with fats. As I mentioned before, I can eat cheesecake without a bad reaction, whereas chocolate cake or cherry pie can be a problem. In any case, please take care of yourself! Anything that affects your heart that way can't be good, and might be affecting other organs without immediate symptoms manifesting themselves. If you are tending toward diabetes, now is the time to get that under control and prevent real problems in the future.

Do I sound like your mother yet? Mind you, I talk a good fight. Fighting one is another matter!