Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #541
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/109.6/110 as of 08/21/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Sorry for all the posts, but I keep forgetting something I wanted to add! I'm sure I'm going to cheat like crazy this weekend. I love my parents, but they're very pushy food-wise. I can hear it now:

"Why do you need to still diet? You're skinny now! You should eat what you want!!" And "It's just for one weekend. What's it going to hurt?" And "You know, this level of obsession with what you eat is unhealthy!"

Anyone else have this problem with family members? It's going to be hard to stick to my guns.
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #542
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
Anyone else have this problem with family members? It's going to be hard to stick to my guns.
i'm not sure if this would work for you, since you really are tiny...

but... tell them that recent statistics show that something like 97% of dieters regain their lost weight within five years. dieting is just the beginning of concrete weight loss. maintaining it takes almost as much work. tell them that your chances of success are far greater if you can at least be eagle eyed for the first two years. imho
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #543
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karegado
Stats: 154/148.6 (-5.75 inches)/144
WOE: CAD (original)
Start Date: 05/26/2014
Quote:
Sorry for all the posts, but I keep forgetting something I wanted to add! I'm sure I'm going to cheat like crazy this weekend. I love my parents, but they're very pushy food-wise. I can hear it now:

"Why do you need to still diet? You're skinny now! You should eat what you want!!" And "It's just for one weekend. What's it going to hurt?" And "You know, this level of obsession with what you eat is unhealthy!"

Even at my current weight, I have family still tell me I am not fat. I know I'm fat. I may not be obese, but yes, I am fat. When I was 13 lbs lighter than I am now, I felt great! I looked great!. I know to some people being in the 140's might still be fat, but with my bone structure, it isn't. I have seen some people my size lose too much weight and end up with a head that looks too large for their body. (don't mean to be critical)
I don't want to be like that. I just want to be thin and back into my normal clothes without bulges.

Last edited by Karegado; 04-11-2014 at 09:43 AM..
Karegado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #544
Senior LCF Member

That's a good idea and a sobering statistic. I do think that maintenance is at least as hard as weight loss. Maybe harder since I never have a problem actually losing weight. It's just that I always gain it back as soon as I hit goal. I maintained a 25 lb loss for years but kept gaining back 10 to 20 underneath that. Someday I'd like to be able to say that I've kept off 40+ lbs for five years!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #545
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karegado View Post
Even at my current weight, I have family still tell me I am not fat. I know I'm fat. I may not be obese, but yes, I am fat. When I was 13 lbs lighter than I am now, I felt great! I looked great!. I know to some people being in the 140's might still be fat, but with my bone structure, it isn't. I have seen some people my size lose too much weight and end up with a head that looks too large for their body. (don't mean to be critical)
I don't want to be like that. I just want to be thin and back into my normal clothes without bulges.
My family just talked behind my back about my weight at my heaviest. They really are lovely people, just very passive aggressive about stuff like that. I know what you mean, though. 154 lbs doesn't seem like a lot of weight, but on my 5'1" build, I looked and felt pretty heavy. Plus, I had no energy and climbing one flight of stairs to my apartment used to make me dizzy. I don't want to get a bobblehead either, though!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #546
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karegado
Stats: 154/148.6 (-5.75 inches)/144
WOE: CAD (original)
Start Date: 05/26/2014
Even with the 11 lb loss since I started in March, I feel more energetic and my breathing comes easier. I can't wait to get to goal. I have done it before at 141 and felt amazing!
Karegado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #547
Senior LCF Member

I'm so grateful to have this board. It's so helpful to see other people's successes and how they push through obstacles. Daily inspiration!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #548
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
i'm not sure if this would work for you, since you really are tiny...

but... tell them that recent statistics show that something like 97% of dieters regain their lost weight within five years. dieting is just the beginning of concrete weight loss. maintaining it takes almost as much work. tell them that your chances of success are far greater if you can at least be eagle eyed for the first two years. imho
Wish I'd had those stats on hand the one time I did lose a whole bunch of weight. My husband not only pushed me to eat, he'd do things like buying ice cream without asking if I wanted it and pushing it in front of me. He'd also get mad if I turned down too many offers of food or soft drinks, etc. if we were on a Sunday drive. He seemed to take it as a personal rejection of himself. He wouldn't have the treat himself unless I had one with him, which made me feel guilty if I didn't and like a pushover if I did. I'm not blaming him for the fact that I regained all the lost weight and a whole lot more besides, but he sure didn't help! He wasn't an unkind man in general (he's still living, but suffering from Alzheimer's), but he actually seemed to get upset when I tried to lose weight, while at the same time commenting in a non-complimentary way when I got heavy. He wasn't the only one in the family who rode me about my weight, either. Go figure. But really, it seems like the best thing family and friends can do is to stand back and let us deal with the poundage ourselves, but maybe give us encouragement when we do lose a bit!

Right now I'm trying JUDDD, but I want to hang in here and sort of follow CALP on my up days. I can't seem to figure out the JUDDD site--so many different threads that I'm not sure where to get on for continuity. Anyway, I know myself too well to hope I'll ever be able to simply ignore carbs, especially sugar, on any day without paying for it in cravings, brain fog, and increased arthritis pain. So if y'all don't mind, I'll keep on hanging around here, at least for a while.

KatMck, don't worry about multiple posts. You're a success story, and I'm hanging on your every word, learning whatever I can!
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #549
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Kat, keep posting. I too am eating my rm but watching a little more closely to my calories. I have noticed that if I am eating a 1500 calorie rm I lose instantly the next day. You mentioned a rice rm. Do you ever just eat a carb fest rm? I do and I seem to lose at rms when I eat just rice and chocolate. I had 2 Taco Bell chalupas and 2 ice cream bars today and was full all day. Does this sound like about what you would have? Do you ever have rm dinners anymore? Let us know how your weekend splurge goes. Tomorrow I am having 2 oranges and 2 carrot cake cupcakes from Costco for my brunch rm and that will be it for the day. I know it is unbalanced but I feel like.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #550
Major LCF Poster!

Kat, when you have your sandwich rm how big is your sandwich and what kinds do you have. I would say that my go to rm for weight loss is fruit and carrot cupcakes. I know it sounds weird but it really satisfies me and it has nuts in it so that is why it probably satisfies. I lose on it always.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #551
Major LCF Poster!

I am sort of doing the Turbo style BB/CAD one meal a day. On the Big Breakfast Diet if you really want to lose fast you eat 1000 calorie BB or RM's. I do that as my go to for weight loss faster than the norm. So yesterday was a 1200 calorie BB of 2 oranges and 2 Costco carrot cake muffins which have nuts in to satisfy and butter cream frosting. I lost another pound. I have done this two days in a row so today I was 107.5. Today's rm is ribeye 12 oz. after broiling and salad with ranch, maybe a couple ice cream bars. They are called Magnums from Costco or I might have a mug of ice cream.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #552
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
Kat, when you have your sandwich rm how big is your sandwich and what kinds do you have. I would say that my go to rm for weight loss is fruit and carrot cupcakes. I know it sounds weird but it really satisfies me and it has nuts in it so that is why it probably satisfies. I lose on it always.
It's a regular-sized sandwich, sometimes on a bun and sometimes on two slices of bread. I try to vary the sandwich types so I don't get bored, but I usually end up having turkey salami, ham, or cracked pepper turkey. I usually have two slices of cheese on it plus mayo and mustard. Sometimes I add some spinach to green it up.

This weekend was just as much of a carb fest as I thought. I managed to stick to the plan yesterday, but Saturday I had two RMs plus alcohol. Saturday started out nicely. I arrived at my folks' house and they had a nice spread of crackers, cheese, meats, and olives, veggies and other appetizers, so I was able to eat a low carb CM of cheese, meats, veggies and a few olives. Then, a couple of hours later, my parents brought out the birthday cake and I had two small slices, one of the Publix peach/fruit cake and one of Publix chocolate ganache cake.

Later that evening, we went to George & Louie's, a delicious little Greek-inspired restaurant, and I ate an oyster po boy with grilled asparagus and cheese grits as sides. That night I had several glasses of red wine as well.

Yesterday, I ate two pieces of sausage, one piece of bacon, and two deviled eggs for a low carb breakfast CM. We went to one of my favorite country buffets for lunch, and I went hog wild! I had ham, fried chicken breast, macaroni and cheese, black-eyed peas, green beans, rice, two servings of chicken and dumplings, sweet potato souffle, AND then a small slice of sweet potato pie and a brownie for dessert.

I haven't eaten like that in months! Needless to say, I was stuffed all day and didn't eat anything else. Today I'm eating my usual sandwich meal for lunch and a chicken and spinach for dinner.

Weightwise, I was 110.6 today, which I don't think is too awful considering how I gorged this weekend. The buffet food was really salty, so I'm hoping to see a whoosh over the next couple of days. Here are my averages for the past 3 weeks since I started maintenance:

Week 1: 109.4
Week 2: 110.3 (TOM)
Week 3: 109.2
Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #553
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
Wish I'd had those stats on hand the one time I did lose a whole bunch of weight. My husband not only pushed me to eat, he'd do things like buying ice cream without asking if I wanted it and pushing it in front of me. He'd also get mad if I turned down too many offers of food or soft drinks, etc. if we were on a Sunday drive. He seemed to take it as a personal rejection of himself. He wouldn't have the treat himself unless I had one with him, which made me feel guilty if I didn't and like a pushover if I did. I'm not blaming him for the fact that I regained all the lost weight and a whole lot more besides, but he sure didn't help! He wasn't an unkind man in general (he's still living, but suffering from Alzheimer's), but he actually seemed to get upset when I tried to lose weight, while at the same time commenting in a non-complimentary way when I got heavy.
I'm sorry your husband gave you so much grief about your weight loss. I will never understand this about men. My husband is the same way, but he openly says he'd rather me be heavier but eat what I want. I think it has more to do with him not getting to eat the way HE wants with the way we're eating now! And I wonder if I were to really get heavier if he'd actually follow through with "not caring" or if he'd make comments like your husband. He'd order out pizza 5 days a week if I would agree to it. I don't know if anyone else has had the same experience, but having a husband has been really bad for my waistline.

Last edited by KatMck; 04-14-2014 at 08:54 AM..
Old 04-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #554
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm sorry your husband gave you so much grief about your weight loss. I will never understand this about men. My husband is the same way, but he openly says he'd rather me be heavier but eat what I want. I think it has more to do with him not getting to eat the way HE wants with the way we're eating now! And I wonder if I were to really get heavier if he'd actually follow through with "not caring" or if he'd make comments like your husband. He'd order out pizza 5 days a week if I would agree to it. I don't know if anyone else has had the same experience, but having a husband has been really bad for my waistline.
You know, I hear you. I married at 26, and up to that point I ate most of my calories earlier in the day, then had something light after work and got busy with hobbies or taking a long walk (at the time I lived a couple of blocks from Portland, Oregon's beautiful Washington Park). Then I married a man who, quite reasonably, expected a real dinner, and of course I ate it with him.

I think my husband was threatened by the idea of a thin wife, too. In fact, I know he was, because one time he said he was afraid that if I got thin some other man would steal me away from him. He was 14 years my senior, which probably had something to do with it, but I wish he'd had more faith in me.

Would your husband agree to letting you eat your way while he eats his? Mine never would. Of course, aggravatin' as the varmints are, we really want them to stay around a long time (except when we're fighting the urge to kill them), so of course we try to feed 'em healthy stuff too!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #555
Senior LCF Member

It must have been amazing to live so close to Washington Park! That was a really healthy habit to have. I was skinnier before I met my husband, but I didn't have those kinds of good habits. My husband and I have a tacit agreement of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" whenever he's out of the house, but at home we eat the same meals because he is trying to lose weight as well. I know sometimes guys refuse to change their habits and put all the burden of change on their gals while they scarf down Oreos. It would be really hard for me to eat a healthy chicken and veggies dinner if he was eating pizza or pasta or mac n cheese right beside me! I guess my willpower only extends as far as I can reach!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #556
Major LCF Poster!

Kat, I here you. Isn't your hubby on CAD with you? BTW tonight rm was late as I got home from school later and all I wanted was sweets: 2 bananas, 1 orange, slice of watermelon, 2 lg. Costco carrot cake cupcakes.

I have to tell you what my friend who has maintained on CAD for at least 5 years now had today for her only meal of the day: 2 White Castle cheeseburgers which are very small, a small potato with a gob of corn on it, a few Doritos, 6, yes that's right, DQ ice cream sandwiches. She said they are small. LOL! She has maintained 126 and lost 90 pounds on CAD one meal a day. Oh and she doesn't exercise.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 AM   #557
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Kat, I here you. Isn't your hubby on CAD with you? BTW tonight rm was late as I got home from school later and all I wanted was sweets: 2 bananas, 1 orange, slice of watermelon, 2 lg. Costco carrot cake cupcakes.

I have to tell you what my friend who has maintained on CAD for at least 5 years now had today for her only meal of the day: 2 White Castle cheeseburgers which are very small, a small potato with a gob of corn on it, a few Doritos, 6, yes that's right, DQ ice cream sandwiches. She said they are small. LOL! She has maintained 126 and lost 90 pounds on CAD one meal a day. Oh and she doesn't exercise.
Yeah, that doesn't seem like a lot of food. I do notice that you need less on this diet for some reason. It seems to train your body to want fewer calories. Maybe it's mental because you don't have to deprive yourself of any food?

My husband is also on CAD, and he's lost 27 lbs so far. He cheats a lot but still loses, ha!

Those cupcakes sound delicious, by the way! Is fruit your favorite type of sweet?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
Yeah, that doesn't seem like a lot of food. I do notice that you need less on this diet for some reason. It seems to train your body to want fewer calories.
it is quite the opposite for me. for example, i've been experimenting, to see how high i can go calorically. i've been surprised that i can eat 1750 and still maintain; however, when i strew my calories throughout the day, i gain weight. if i keep super low carb breakfast and my RM early afternoon, i am able to maintain.

i do have an odd body, always have, always will. for me, as with rachael heller, i can eat more if i curtail the number of meals. she and i are metabolically challenged (maybe from having been super heavy at one point or genetics [?]).

everyone's different.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #559
Major LCF Poster!

What did everyone eat yesterday and today?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #560
Major LCF Poster!

Fruit is not my favorite sweet but I do crave it and desserts. I couldn't just eat a sandwich and chips for my lunch. I would have to have a dessert too! Still 107 today.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #561
Major LCF Poster!

I tend to lose on sweets it seems. I don't know why.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #562
Senior LCF Member

Yep, everyone is different! I've definitely noticed that I just eat less eating this way, but I'm sure it's not the same for everyone. I do think a lot of CAD eating techniques are geared toward teaching you how to eat sensibly. I never knew how insulin could affect me until I started this WOE. I do like being able to eat less and feel stuffed.

Today I weighed 109.2, so I guess not much harm done over the weekend. My husband cooked up a mess of sausage this morning and I had six links. Granted, they were small, but it kept me full all morning. I don't usually eat anything until an early RM, but my husband has been working from home the past two days. For a lunch RM, I had half of a Publix roast beef sub on whole wheat with mayo, provolone, onions, black pepper, and spinach. Tonight I'll probably eat a small CM of chicken and spinach.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #563
Major LCF Poster!

Kat I congratulate you. I could never eat as little as you though. I would pass out! LOL! Keep up the good work. I do crave fruit. It is my power food. It gives me energy as well as those yummy cupcakes. They are probably 500 calories each with all the buttercream frosting on them! LOL!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #564
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Kat I congratulate you. I could never eat as little as you though. I would pass out! LOL! Keep up the good work. I do crave fruit. It is my power food. It gives me energy as well as those yummy cupcakes. They are probably 500 calories each with all the buttercream frosting on them! LOL!
I don't think I eat an extremely tiny amount. The lowest I eat is 1200 calories, and that's usually 1 or 2 days a week. 1600 is probably my norm, and my TDEE is 1600, so it works out math-wise.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #565
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CindyLou
Stats: 158/158/130 (5'1")
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Start Date: 7/1/2014 restart
Hello. I hope there is room here.

I read Carbohydrates Addict's Diet years ago. I didn't give it a fair shot though. I have been reading and reading and reading about low-carb diets. I think I am ready to give this one a shot again. I don't have the book anymore but I have found all the info by reading various websites.

Any tips?
CindyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #566
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It must have been amazing to live so close to Washington Park! :
You sound like you may be a former Portlander yourself. Yes, it was a wonderful place to live. I lived in one of the apartment buildings in that first block of Vista west of Burnside, below the park, and back in those days I walked everywhere--to church, to work, grocery shopping, downtown Portland, medical appointments, etc. out of necessity, and all over the West Hills for the sheer joy of it. And I weighed barely 100 lbs! Having everything within walking distance is one thing we lose when we move to the suburbs. We can still go for walks, but we have to make ourselves do it. It isn't the same as walking to our every destination, guaranteeing that we take many steps every day.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:33 AM   #567
Major LCF Poster!

Kat, I think I am going to have a sandwich for my rm and have and early lunch. I'll try your lunch yet I think mine will be bigger although I don't eat dinner like you do so should have similar calories. I am having a turkey sandwich with lettuce, mayo, mustard, a diet soda, lg. cupcake. Does that sound about like yours calorie wise? I run after school and if I wait to eat dinner I have no energy to run. Don't you feel like you burn more when you eat earlier too like with the Big Breakfast Diet? How often do you pigout. I can eat like a man.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:35 AM   #568
Major LCF Poster!

MIW do you want to give us an update?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:36 AM   #569
Major LCF Poster!

Kat, I forgot to ask if you drink black coffee with a.m. or diet soda. I do and no issues.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:41 AM   #570
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alliejon
Stats: 306.6/305/145
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Day 1

Hi everyone,

I don't know how many times I've tried weight watchers and white knuckled it through the first few weigh-ins... Well I did that recently because I thought their "simple start" might be doable for me. I can follow it to a point, but it doesn't curb the cravings like I remember CAD doing.

Today I am going to start CAD again. I'm going to give it a good try. If I can get through the first three days, I usually get on a roll....

Day 1!

CM Breakfast: Chicken, cheese, cauliflower

Not sure what the rest of the day is... Hubby's birthday is today, so tonight we will share a mini cake with RM dinner.

I enjoy reading through your successes. I hope you will keep sharing!!