Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #451
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Welcome, Wogs and Karegado! It's wonderful to see new faces! Not to mention how great it is to see MIW! Wogs, congrats on the 2.5 lb loss! Losing glycogen stores is something to celebrate!

Week 1 of maintenance is fine so far. I'm not pigging out like I used to do when I hit goal, but I am eating more than my usual. Since TOM is almost here, I'm guessing that might be the culprit. If not, next week it's back on my strict plan until I'm happy! Right now I'm hovering between 109.6 and 110.6 on a daily basis.

Today I had Wednesday Friendsday with a gal pal. We went to a delicous place called the Briar Patch for lunch, and my RM included an open-faced tuna nicoise salad sandwich with olive tapenade, fries, and a blood-orange mimosa. It was a ton of food and I ate almost all of it, so I'm not eating anything else tonight if I can help it. If I get desperate, I might have a little turkey jerky.
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #452
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TootsieRoll
Stats: 153.4/? /130
WOE: Fast-5/JUDDD
Start Date: 12/03/2014
Thank you Kat. I'm enjoying this WOE. I've only lost .5 lbs so far but I do expect to continue losing. I couldn't handle the dizziness on induction so this has got to work for me. I won't give up.
TootsieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #453
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fermina
Hi everyone. I really learn a lot about this diet while reading you. (Excuse my english. My lenguage is Spanish).

I failled starting the diet 2 weeks ago but I'm not giving up. Yestarday I start it over.

I feel good. Today is my second day. Thanks for all the ideas you share here.
My weight yesterday was 148.3
My weight this morning: 147.8

Its ok if I go slow. What I really care is to be constant.

I read in other site that "once an addict, allways an addict". Thats why we should keep in CAD for life, so we do not recover the weight back.
Fermina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #454
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wogs
Stats: 265.5/258/150
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Start Date: 4/1/14
Thank you for the welcome Kat.

I'm happy to say I am down another pound this morning. I had a bit of a carb withdrawal headache yesterday and leg cramps last night but I'm feeling well today. I even have a bit more energy.

Welcome Fermina. I agree, CAD is a healthy way to eat for life. I wish I had remembered that back when I lost weight on it the first time.

Dar
Wogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #455
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogs View Post
Thank you for the welcome Kat.

I'm happy to say I am down another pound this morning. I had a bit of a carb withdrawal headache yesterday and leg cramps last night but I'm feeling well today. I even have a bit more energy.

Welcome Fermina. I agree, CAD is a healthy way to eat for life. I wish I had remembered that back when I lost weight on it the first time.

Dar
Way to go, Wogs! I have also found that I have a lot more energy eating this way. Eating straight low carb always left me feeling logey and cranky. I would always have horrible "induction flu," a brief honeymoon period where I felt great, and then a steady loss of energy the longer I stayed on it. So far, so good on CAD!

Today I was 109.6 despite the big meal at Briar Patch. I was a little hungry toward 9 or 10 pm, but at that point it felt way too late to eat anyway. This has been a crazy week. We're going to a fancy restaurant with my husband's boss today for lunch, so I'll be back to report what I ended up eating.

Glad to see you back again, Fermina! I think you are right that the key to success is making it a lifelong endeavor. When it comes down to it, good habits are as bad to break as bad habits. I just have to keep working on building those good habits.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #456
Senior LCF Member

I'm down another .5 lbs today! I didn't really want all the food I ate today, but I felt like I had to eat enough protein. I ate very few carbs A lot less than I had planned out.
Do any of you find that diet sodas stall you in any way?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #457
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Hi all. Checking back in since there are some new folks and I had the time. I didn't weigh today, had to get up super early and I'd rather skip since I've seen 2 pound differences depending on a few hours time difference of weighing in.

I have found for me EVERYTHING affects my weight and not my hunger or cravings per se. I use the scale first to see if I can handle it or not. For me anything sugar free or artificial, even decaf out of RM hour can cause issues. Even alcohol with my RM severely slows me down. You just have to keep going and not be in it for instant results but long term trends. I have found weight gains can take a couple days to show up from something I ate. I do think it is more hormonal than anything and that is why. It is not always just the "Volume" or calorie load of a meal that affects the next day. That is just me experience for my body but hope this helps others.

MIW
Old 04-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #458
Senior LCF Member

I've gone from almost a 2 liter of Diet Pepsi a day to a 12 ounce glass maybe every other day. I don't notice any cravings from drinking it. That is the hardest thing for me to give up. It was my addiction, more than sweet desserts.
I have to say, I am very full from my one meal a day and don't really feel a need to eat more than a bite of meat at my next meal. I hope that's a good thing.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #459
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karegado View Post
I'm down another .5 lbs today! I didn't really want all the food I ate today, but I felt like I had to eat enough protein. I ate very few carbs A lot less than I had planned out.
Do any of you find that diet sodas stall you in any way?
Nice loss, Karegado! I try to stick to drinking my precious Coke Zero only during my RMs. It's not so much that they stall me as that drinking them outside of that meal tends to make me crave sweets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
I have found for me EVERYTHING affects my weight and not my hunger or cravings per se. I use the scale first to see if I can handle it or not. For me anything sugar free or artificial, even decaf out of RM hour can cause issues. Even alcohol with my RM severely slows me down. You just have to keep going and not be in it for instant results but long term trends. I have found weight gains can take a couple days to show up from something I ate. I do think it is more hormonal than anything and that is why. It is not always just the "Volume" or calorie load of a meal that affects the next day. That is just me experience for my body but hope this helps others.
I have definitely learned the hard way that alcohol will derail your weight loss for a few days. I have also found that volume sometimes has nothing to do with it. I can be up the day after a day I don't eat much depending on the salt content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karegado View Post
I've gone from almost a 2 liter of Diet Pepsi a day to a 12 ounce glass maybe every other day. I don't notice any cravings from drinking it. That is the hardest thing for me to give up. It was my addiction, more than sweet desserts.
I have to say, I am very full from my one meal a day and don't really feel a need to eat more than a bite of meat at my next meal. I hope that's a good thing.
That's a great thing, and that's what I experienced also after a while with this WOE. I will say that I don't think I could give up my Coke Zero. Anything but my Coke Zero!

Not to write a novel, but I wanted to update my food intake. We went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch, and I ate a huge, unbalanced RM. Needless to say, I'm done eating for the day! Thankfully after today, I shouldn't have any more big restaurant meals for a while. I ordered a combo that included a chicken enchilada with verde sauce, taco, rice and refried beans, and chips and salsa along with the meal. If I get hungry, I might allow myself a snack later, but I'm going to try not to.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the input, ladies.
I'm limiting my Diet Pepsi for now, I just can't go cold turkey yet. I love Mexican food. We don't eat out a lot but when we do, it's Mexican or the steakhouse. At both places I really don't eat off plan as much as I would have thought. Come to think of it, I might eat better when we eat out because of portion control. I guess the next two weeks will tell.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #461
Senior LCF Member

Oh, yes, I love Mexican as well! We love to eat out but I have found that I unintentionally have stopped eating out as much after starting this diet. Whereas we used to eat out 4 or 5 days a week, now it's usually between 1 and 3 times a week.

I did finally begin my TOM, so I think that might explain the horrendous cravings I've had the past few days. I've just been so scared that I'm starting the binging cycle all over again. I guess I'll be able to tell over the next few weeks. The good news is that weighing daily and averaging my weights is an ingrained habit by now, so hopefully I'll be able to tell pretty quickly if I stop maintaining. It is such a help to be able to post here and see what everyone else is going through as well. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 AM   #462
Senior LCF Member

Down another pound this morning (2 lb loss in 4 days, I'll take it!)
I woke at 4AM and my fingers felt swollen. I was certain I would show a gain but I didn't when I weighed at 6AM!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #463
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wogs
Stats: 265.5/258/150
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Start Date: 4/1/14
Hi everyone.

Oh my gosh! I am down another 3 pounds this morning! I'm shocked. I usually lose about a half a pound a week on this woe.

I have been eating on plan but I certainly haven't been depriving myself with my RM's or CM's.

Keep up the good eating everyone.
Wogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #464
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymar View Post
. . . .I am still making changes with the type of food that I eat, it just seems to me that so much of what I ever learned about gaining and losing weight doesn't ring true for me, anymore. I'm in my mid fifties, so I can actually remember a time when the food people ate was so different. . and most people didn't have a weight problem, either. my grandma actually made her own butter, and they ate meat with fat , so I'm going back to that type of food as much as I possibly can and still use the CALP guidelines. I'm still at an approximate loss of 18 lbs, but am expecting and hoping to drop a couple of more any day now..that will make me happy., but if not, I am sure feeling better physically and I will just keep on trying, because hunger is not a big problem anymore with this woe. . I wish you all good luck, it's not easy, but I think we each find out things the longer we stay with it.

jerri
Hi--I haven't posted in a while, and apologize for not holding up my end of the "board." Life has gotten sort of crazy lately, and I didn't feel that I had a lot to contribute because I've really stalled, probably because I've been making more and more exceptions to the CAD rules. It seems I have to eat at home and keep it really low carb to cut the cravings and lose any weight at all. I'm 71, recovering from a knee surgery that developed problems, and in need of having the other knee replaced, so I'm not very active--need to push myself. But I just finished catching up on the posts I hadn't read, and wanted to comment on what Jaymar said about remembering a time when the food people ate was very different and most people didn't have weight problems. We almost never ate out when I was a kid (few moms worked and money was always an issue), and there were few convenience foods until TV dinners became popular--Mom bought fresh meats and vegetables and made everything from scratch. And even when I was a young adult there weren't nearly as many fast food restaurants around. A while back I was watching a documentary on the Kennedy assassination (I was in college at the time), and it really hit me that in the many street scenes there were very few overweight people and no obese children. Even the people who were overweight weren't nearly AS overweight as so many, many people (including me) are now. We need to figure out what has changed and change back. Dr. William Davis and Dr. David Perlmutter have pointed out that new hybrids of wheat are probably to blame for a lot of this, but there have to be other factors as well. A problem this huge (no humor intended) rarely has a single cause. It's really scary what modern life is doing to us, and especially to the kids.

I'm sorry Jaymar has wandered off to seek another board. Hopefully she'll check back in from time to time, and find there are new people posting. She always had so much to contribute. Meantime, I am going to try to post more frequently, and post my meals more often in hopes of keeping myself honest.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #465
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/155/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Hello to all:

Haven't been posting for quite awhile but I am back on the JUDD/IF/CALP wagon. I have been eating this way lately again. I am finding that I eat two meals a day which is pretty IF in style. The biggest hurdle is not to eat more than 800-1000 calories a day for me or I won't lose at all, simply maintain. I exercise 4xweek so that's good but to lose it goes back to the old adage "eat less and exercise more". To make CAD/CALP work I firmly believe that you have to pretty much know how many calories you need to lose. Those who have been successful didn't do it by eating 2000 a day that's for sure. The RM isn't an excuse to eat a large quantity. Right now I am eating my RM around 2:00 and a snack at night. Time will tell. Good luck to us all!

Last edited by SuzeQ; 04-04-2014 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Edit content
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #466
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQ View Post
Hello to all:

Haven't been posting for quite awhile but I am back on the JUDD/IF/CALP wagon. I have been eating this way lately again. I am finding that I eat two meals a day which is pretty IF in style. The biggest hurdle is not to eat more than 800-1000 calories a day for me or I won't lose at all, simply maintain. I exercise 4xweek so that's good but to lose it goes back to the old adage "eat less and exercise more". To make CAD/CALP work I firmly believe that you have to pretty much know how many calories you need to lose. Those who have been successful didn't do it by eating 2000 a day that's for sure. The RM isn't an excuse to eat a large quantity. Right now I am eating my RM around 2:00 and a snack at night. Time will tell. Good luck to us all!
There are plenty of people who go down to starvation rations as well who no longer lose. You can scroll back and see months and months of posts by myself and I was regularly eating 2000-3000 calories and losing. It can happen. One has to keep diligent and just watch the scale and their own particular metabolisms. I went into this ON PURPOSE eating high calorie to see what would happen and found I could indeed actually lose eating that way. I can decided when I want to start losing again to slowly chip away at the amounts but I would never even have to come close to 1000 calories to start the loss again. We are all different and I always applaud everyone finding what works for them but I myself had been very encouraged by the strength from other's who posted themselves about losing with high calories and gave it a try. Otherwise I might still be on the diet merry go round of starvation, loss, then going off and gaining it all back. That is something I haven't done and am still happily down 20+ pounds with eating like this for over a year and a half.

A tip I would give everyone is to start by finding various sources for your metabolic basil rate. That is the amount of calories you burn just being alive- no exercise. For me at my age, wt, sex and depending on the resources I used it has me at needing 1800-2200 calories a day. I was eating that and easily losing 1/2-1 lb per week where as all the times I had been on JC or WW they had me on approx. 1500 calories a day and I was miserable and hungry and constantly thinking about food and exercising to make up for eating more. When I say "easily" on this WOE (CAD and mainly one meal a day so I intermittent fast for 23 hours most days) I am talking much slower wt loss but I eat what I want and easily 2000+ each and every day with virtually no hunger to speak of.

I say find what works for you which does take time and some trial and error but I want others to know it is possible to not starve and eat well and still lose. It won't be a fad crash diet but slow and consistent. At the very least you may find you lose and then level off which is what has happened for me. I rode out the extreme high calorie WOE for all it was worth so now I can decided if I want to just maintain my loss or perhaps now really look at it as a diet and start calorie counting again or not.

MIW
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #467
Senior LCF Member

A starvation diet is guaranteed to make me stop losing, then regain everything plus more besides. Starving oneself goes against human nature, and in my case at least, nature simply has to reassert itself sooner or later. My main problems seem to be an addiction to carbs and an inability to distinguish between feeling peckish and being actually hungry. Also there's the problem of emotional eating. CALP, when I stick to the two CMs and one BALANCED RM a day, seems to be the best way of getting that under control. However, unlike many, I have to make the carbs in my reward meals less sweet. Sooner or later sugar will trigger cravings, but before that it sends my arthritis into overdrive and brings on varying degrees of brain fog. Ditto anything with gluten.

I even have to be careful about fruit, because much of it causes cravings or even makes me feel shaky from the sweetness. But here's another area where changes in the way we eat over the last fifty years or so are affecting our weight as a nation. Last week my chiropractor mentioned that the varieties of fruit in the markets now have been hybridized to have much higher sugar contents than their "ancestors." When I thought about it, I realized that most of the apple varieties I knew in my younger years never show up in the market any more. My chiropractor said it was the same with oranges and other fruits, and I've noticed that grapes don't seem to have as much flavor, they're just sweeter.

Another big change has been that we now import fruit from around the world, so more is available all the time. When I was a kid our moms would alert their friends when the Bartlett pears or the Gravenstein apples or whatever showed up in the markets, but once the season was over it was over. Of course, Mom canned some fruits and you could buy canned fruit in the store, but it was an occasional treat, not a daily diet item. Maybe we need to consider the way we evolved, and try to eat whatever is in season locally.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #468
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
A starvation diet is guaranteed to make me stop losing, then regain everything plus more besides. Starving oneself goes against human nature, and in my case at least, nature simply has to reassert itself sooner or later. My main problems seem to be an addiction to carbs and an inability to distinguish between feeling peckish and being actually hungry. Also there's the problem of emotional eating. CALP, when I stick to the two CMs and one BALANCED RM a day, seems to be the best way of getting that under control. However, unlike many, I have to make the carbs in my reward meals less sweet. Sooner or later sugar will trigger cravings, but before that it sends my arthritis into overdrive and brings on varying degrees of brain fog. Ditto anything with gluten.

I even have to be careful about fruit, because much of it causes cravings or even makes me feel shaky from the sweetness. But here's another area where changes in the way we eat over the last fifty years or so are affecting our weight as a nation. Last week my chiropractor mentioned that the varieties of fruit in the markets now have been hybridized to have much higher sugar contents than their "ancestors." When I thought about it, I realized that most of the apple varieties I knew in my younger years never show up in the market any more. My chiropractor said it was the same with oranges and other fruits, and I've noticed that grapes don't seem to have as much flavor, they're just sweeter.

Another big change has been that we now import fruit from around the world, so more is available all the time. When I was a kid our moms would alert their friends when the Bartlett pears or the Gravenstein apples or whatever showed up in the markets, but once the season was over it was over. Of course, Mom canned some fruits and you could buy canned fruit in the store, but it was an occasional treat, not a daily diet item. Maybe we need to consider the way we evolved, and try to eat whatever is in season locally.
Ya I definitely hear you on all accounts. Food is different, even "whole" foods like meat and produce. Also I know I need to cut back on my junk carbs at my RM. I am actually thinking about doing a "reboot" of sorts with juicing for a couple of weeks but somehow making it CAD friendly. Like a carby fruit juice for the RM along with some plain protein like eggs or chicken breast and the other juice be it green and veggie based. I may have to play with it a bit and be more lax like sm amt of green apple and lemon with it but I know in the past I wasn't hungry when I juiced and actually felt superb. It isn't something I would do long term and not even for wt loss per say other than to just reset my taste buds and challenge my metabolism a bit too.

MIW
Old 04-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #469
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ya I definitely hear you on all accounts. Food is different, even "whole" foods like meat and produce. Also I know I need to cut back on my junk carbs at my RM. I am actually thinking about doing a "reboot" of sorts with juicing for a couple of weeks but somehow making it CAD friendly. Like a carby fruit juice for the RM along with some plain protein like eggs or chicken breast and the other juice be it green and veggie based. I may have to play with it a bit and be more lax like sm amt of green apple and lemon with it but I know in the past I wasn't hungry when I juiced and actually felt superb. It isn't something I would do long term and not even for wt loss per say other than to just reset my taste buds and challenge my metabolism a bit too.

MIW
If you do try a modified juicing program, let us know how it goes. I like what you said about resetting your taste buds--it's easy to let them sort of take over if we give them whatever they think they want. If I do without sweets altogether for a while, when I first try them again they taste almost too sweet.

How do you find out what your basal metabolism is? I'd kinda like to know, because I'm pretty sure mine has slowed way down. What's the best way to reset it? Which reminds me, the physical therapist working on my knee mentioned that one reason women have a harder time losing weight than men do is that by nature they don't have as much muscle mass, and it's muscle that burns calories. She recommended something called strength training or weight training to build additional muscle--need to look into that. Most likely it isn't covered by Medicare, but it might be something the local senior center would offer.

Another thing I want to try is eating more raw fresh veggies instead of throwing a package of frozen whatever into the microwave. I've noticed that carrots taste sweeter when cooked, and am wondering if cooking releases more of the carbs in other veggies. In any case, I could definitely use the fiber, or "roughage" as Grandma used to call it.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #470
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hello to all:

Just wanted to say welcome, SuzeQ. I notice you're from Troutdale, OR. I lived in the Portland area for most of my life, and I sure do miss the scenery and the greenery, not to mention the wonderful seafood. (And especially not to mention the pies at Tebo's on McLoughlin in Gladstone. Sighhhhh.) I'm now living in a northern suburb of Dallas, Texas, and have learned to like it, too, though during last night's thunderstorms I was about ready to hightail it back to the PNW, especially after my home security alarm started sounding tornado warnings. I think the closest tornado to touch down last night was about thirty miles away, but some folks about 18 miles away got grapefruit-sized hail that made a real mess of windshields and skylights. Texas needs the rain we got, but mercy, it sure would be nice if it could fall without all the dramatics!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #471
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone! I hope you're all having wonderful Fridays. Great to see you again, Beadelia. I figured out the source of my cravings and all my unbalanced RMs this week when TOM started yesterday. I woke up today and was only 110.6, which is actually pretty low for this point in my cycle. Today for my RM, I ate chicken pesto tortellini and then a big serving of chocolate gelato. I was going to try not to eat anything else for the day, but I'm hungry, so I think I'm going to have some deli meat and cheese and veggies as a small CM. I usually eat huge RMs and then small CMs if I need them.

Quote:
It's tough on short people, right? I find that my BMR is around 1,100 and my TDEE is around 1,500 or 1,600 depending on how much I'm exercising. This I have learned through a lot of trial and error! When I eat under 1500, I consistently lose as long as I don't eat a lot of salty food. If I eat around 1600, I maintain. Anymore than that and whoooooosh goes the scale.

What I have found is that instead of trying to eat 1300 calories a day every day, I often tend to eat more calories one day and then fewer the next or vice versa. So one day I will count up and only reach 1100 calories and feel stuffed, and the next I'll eat 1600. It all seems to balance out though, since losing has been pretty consistent for me.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #472
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

MIW
I also like the idea of "resetting" the taste buds. I know that I used to eat out all the time and now when I do, everything tastes soooo salty to me! It's weird how just taking a time out can change your tastebuds.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #473
Senior LCF Member

I switched my meal to supper tonight, usually its breakfast. I feel so stuffed. Uncomfortable even. I hope I didn't over do it. In the mornings I can work it off. I feel like I'll sleep with fat tonight.
Does anyone do their RM at lunch and have success?

Last edited by TootsieRoll; 04-04-2014 at 05:24 PM..
Old 04-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #474
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post

It's tough on short people, right? I find that my BMR is around 1,100 and my TDEE is around 1,500 or 1,600 depending on how much I'm exercising. This I have learned through a lot of trial and error! When I eat under 1500, I consistently lose as long as I don't eat a lot of salty food. If I eat around 1600, I maintain. Anymore than that and whoooooosh goes the scale.

What I have found is that instead of trying to eat 1300 calories a day every day, I often tend to eat more calories one day and then fewer the next or vice versa. So one day I will count up and only reach 1100 calories and feel stuffed, and the next I'll eat 1600. It all seems to balance out though, since losing has been pretty consistent for me.
Hoo boy, is it tough on short people! Too bad we aren't all issues appetites commensurate with our height! Unfortunately, we aren't. I'm 5'1", and I used to have a boss who was 6'4", and we seemed to have about the same level of appetite--and he was always struggling to control his paunch, despite regular noon walks! Well, Mom warned me life wasn't going to be fair.

But managing our weight is so important for our health. Today at the market I picked up a 20-lb box of cat litter, and could barely wrangle it into my cart. Then it occurred to me that I'm carrying around the equivalent of at least four more of those in body weight than I should be. Oof! No wonder my knees, lower legs, ankles and feet hurt!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #475
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
Hoo boy, is it tough on short people! Too bad we aren't all issues appetites commensurate with our height! Unfortunately, we aren't. I'm 5'1", and I used to have a boss who was 6'4", and we seemed to have about the same level of appetite--and he was always struggling to control his paunch, despite regular noon walks! Well, Mom warned me life wasn't going to be fair.

But managing our weight is so important for our health. Today at the market I picked up a 20-lb box of cat litter, and could barely wrangle it into my cart. Then it occurred to me that I'm carrying around the equivalent of at least four more of those in body weight than I should be. Oof! No wonder my knees, lower legs, ankles and feet hurt!
Beadelia: you can google resting caloric needs or basil metabolic caloric intake or similar and should be able to find some free internet calculators that will give you an idea. I remember even finding one that asked about exercise, etc that was fairly specific. It gave me the 2200 calorie range just to meet my needs. The more generic one based off only age and sex and wt gave me the 1800 calories. That was when I wanted to see if I could still lose eating MORE than that but following the CAD rules and I did! Like 20 pounds! LOL So don't tell me I need starvation rations or calorie deficit to lose wt. There is a guy named Matt Stone (I think he it the one) who also talks about high calorie wt loss and a lot of myths in the diet world. He is really into metabolic rate and morning temps, etc but I just enjoyed some of his info because he goes against the mainstream quite a bit and has a lot of studies to back him up to boot.

MIW
Old 04-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #476
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the great posts to me! How I wish I could actualy lose eating up the way some of you do. Yes, being short certainly doesn't help, and being post menopausal either, but I do what I can do. Some days I eat up and then eat down next day or two. That works. Today I met a friend for lunch and ate up. Fish and chips, slaw, garlic bread, and a light beer. That's a lot for me and tomorrow is not going to be a repeat I can tell you. I can get a two pound bump up easily if I eat that way. I prolly hit 1500 calories, maybe more, don't want to know. LOL!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:44 AM   #477
Senior LCF Member

Up one lb this morning. I think it might be the two beers I had with dinner along with the extra garlic biscuit, even though it was small. Onward I go!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #478
Senior LCF Member

MIW:

I pondered what you said and have a response. All chart calculation sites estimate my maintenance intake should be 1500-1600 cals/day based on age, height, activity. They often say don't go under 1200 cals/day but interestingly enough Medifast and a corporate center in Thousand Oaks, CA operates on a completely different basis. 800-1000 cals/day, 80-100 carbs, exercise 5xweek doing weights and treadmill. They evaluate your labs and everything else. Losing weight at 1800-2000 cals/day is a huge stretch. You would have to be very heavy and maybe male. The more you lose the lower your requirements. "Eating more" could mean more salad, more of anything that volumizes. Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem subscribe to volumizing. How much do the charts suggest you eat every day? You aren't an old short person, and I am. If I ate what you eat I would be the Goodyear blimp. I know exactly what to do to maintain my weight, but losing is another thing. You don't know how many woment I know who have the same issue. I can easily stay at 1200 cals/day with no hunger but I won't lose much. Dropping cals. and moving more is the only thing that works.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #479
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Beadelia: you can google resting caloric needs or basil metabolic caloric intake or similar and should be able to find some free internet calculators that will give you an idea. I remember even finding one that asked about exercise, etc that was fairly specific. It gave me the 2200 calorie range just to meet my needs. The more generic one based off only age and sex and wt gave me the 1800 calories. That was when I wanted to see if I could still lose eating MORE than that but following the CAD rules and I did! Like 20 pounds! LOL So don't tell me I need starvation rations or calorie deficit to lose wt. There is a guy named Matt Stone (I think he it the one) who also talks about high calorie wt loss and a lot of myths in the diet world. He is really into metabolic rate and morning temps, etc but I just enjoyed some of his info because he goes against the mainstream quite a bit and has a lot of studies to back him up to boot.

MIW
Thanks, MIW. I haven't checked out Matt Stone yet, but I did Google up some calculators (none of which asked my activity rate--just height, weight, sex and age), and got calorie ranges of 1343, 1470, and 1615. Naturally, I prefer the last one! However, I know from long experience and especially from failing WW many times, a calorie is not a calorie is not a calorie. Depending on whether it's protein, fat or carb, the effect on my whole being will be very different.

The first calculator I looked at (BMR Calculator) contained this statement:
"If you've noticed that every year, it becomes harder to eat whatever you want and stay slim, you've also learnt that your BMR decreases as you age. Likewise, depriving yourself of food in hopes of losing weight also decreases your BMR, a foil to your intentions. [I guess that's why we all hit the dreaded plateau sooner or later.] However, a regular routine of cardiovascular exercise can increase your BMR, improving your health and fitness when your body's ability to burn energy gradually slows down."

In contrast to the above, my physical therapist said that for women weight training was more important than cardio, because of the need to build muscle in order to burn calories. I don't know much about either, so my next step is to learn. I do know that when I can't go walking every day, weight loss stalls right away, but even with walking, it stalls at some point. We were designed to move, but apparently muscle mass is a big factor. Maybe that's why KatMcK has done so well.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #480
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
throwing my two cents in here... at almost 300 lbs, about twelve years ago, when i'd first heard of CAD, i tried it and lost 22 pounds within a few months. i thought it was a dream diet. i wasn't watching calories but sticking with one meal per day, which i usually had in early afternoon.

i never lost an ounce after the initial loss, even though i stayed on CAD, virtually without fail, for an entire year. i gave up once i realized i wasn't losing anymore. calorie numbers do enter here somewhere. i'm not sure where.

CAD/BBD is great for me with maintenance, working like a dream, but losing weight withOUT calorie watching, even with this method, does not happen with my pcos body.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 04-05-2014 at 10:42 AM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote