Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #391
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post
KatMck - I may try having my RM for breakfast several days and see what happens. At least I can still have dinner with my family this way. That was one of the reasons why the BBD didn't appeal to me. Kinda hard to grill out for everyone else while I eat an apple. Anyway, great idea. I'm going to see what happens with this.
JMBM, I'm interested in seeing if you get bigger drops with the early RM as well. I never have my RMs before around 11 am and still get a .2 lb drop on most days, which is a lot for me. I am just not much of a breakfast person in general, but I've found that eating a lunch RM suits me because rather than anticipating the RM all day while reluctantly eating veggies and meat, I have it early and don't have to think about food the rest of the day. Then I can actually enjoy a chicken and spinach meal for dinner, lol!
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #392
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Weird (?) Question

This may sound like a really weird question, but are daily RMs absolutely essential on CAD/CALP? What if you have a day, or even two or three in a row, when you just don't feel you want anything but proteins and veggies--are you going to stall weight loss or throw yourself off track in some way? Just thought I'd ask. Doesn't happen very often, must say.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
JMBM, I'm interested in seeing if you get bigger drops with the early RM as well. I never have my RMs before around 11 am and still get a .2 lb drop on most days, which is a lot for me. I am just not much of a breakfast person in general, but I've found that eating a lunch RM suits me because rather than anticipating the RM all day while reluctantly eating veggies and meat, I have it early and don't have to think about food the rest of the day. Then I can actually enjoy a chicken and spinach meal for dinner, lol!
Yeah me too. Hopefully it will make a difference. I have got to get to the grocery store for some food. That's when i get into trouble is when i don't have food on hand.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

I wonder how you might get your veggies in by doing a breakfast RM. I mean other than doing peppers and mushrooms in an omelet? I know I don't have to necessarily eat breakfast food, however I'm not sure how I would like having non breakfast type foods early in the day. I don't usually eat breakfast but I do like bacon, eggs, biscuits, pancakes, etc... (Carbs, carbs, carbs!) lol Guess I can just play around with it and see what happens or just do lunch as RM. Or I could just do 1 RM and 1 CM for dinner. Love the flexibility of this WOE.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Oh I have had steak, salad and ice cream for many a breakfast. Just eat the veggies for breakfast.....that's all there is to it. You don't have to eat veggies though.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #396
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Hi all! I survived my night out... sort of! LOL

Hanging in the 215 lb range all week. Let's just say alcohol and being a carb addict don't mix well. I can say in my 18 month journey with this WOE that I have maybe had alcohol (mainly beer) under 5 times. Well, this last week I discovered the Mojito, which will forever forward be my nemesis!

This drink is so delicious that I ran out and got some white rum, mint, and limes to make them at home. Even Hubby loves them. Having them daily, even with an RM will DEFINITELY stall or even cause gains. It's been a fun week but I am pulling myself up out of the blur and going back to my more "usual" woe.

Like Oriana, I too enjoy doing my RM for breakfast. I don't do them quite as early and most days they end up being at lunchtime but typically my RM is my first meal of the day and usually my only meal if I time it right and eat enough.

MIW
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
Oh I have had steak, salad and ice cream for many a breakfast. Just eat the veggies for breakfast.....that's all there is to it. You don't have to eat veggies though.
Oh I thought you had to do 1/3 veggies. So I would be ok having my RM for breakfast then maybe a grilled chicken salad with ranch for a cm for dinner? I think if I'm going to have a carb I might have better results eating them early. Not sure but worth a try. I haven't weighed in a while. Right now is TOM so I figured I would wait until it's over to get my true weight.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #398
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Hi all! I survived my night out... sort of! LOL

Hanging in the 215 lb range all week. Let's just say alcohol and being a carb addict don't mix well. I can say in my 18 month journey with this WOE that I have maybe had alcohol (mainly beer) under 5 times. Well, this last week I discovered the Mojito, which will forever forward be my nemesis!

This drink is so delicious that I ran out and got some white rum, mint, and limes to make them at home. Even Hubby loves them. Having them daily, even with an RM will DEFINITELY stall or even cause gains. It's been a fun week but I am pulling myself up out of the blur and going back to my more "usual" woe.

Like Oriana, I too enjoy doing my RM for breakfast. I don't do them quite as early and most days they end up being at lunchtime but typically my RM is my first meal of the day and usually my only meal if I time it right and eat enough.

MIW
MIW, you make that sound so delicious that I'm tempted to try it, and I seldom ever drink! But ain't it the truth that every once in a while we get introduced to something that becomes an instant addiction, and we have to fight, fight, fight to keep it from taking over our will power entirely. But if you've had alcohol under five times in 18 months up to this point, you can congratulate yourself on being very much in control. And at least you're calling a halt to the mojitos after only a week. The last time I went bonkers over See's chocolates I ate my way through at least four pounds (or maybe it was six) before getting a grip on myself. You're doing good.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #399
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Beadelia, you asked a good question, and I'm not sure that I have the right answer, but, I have had days where I didn't eat many carbs with my RM, and all it did was make the loss a little faster..not sure how it works for anyone else. . I've got myself into an unusual kind of a fix tho,.. I am still doing Calp, but I have cut back considerably on the processed foods, especially processed carbs.. what happened was my Dr gave me a script for Phentermine to lose weight, and I did not fill it. . I've had a problem dealing with this Dr. because he doesn't see things the way that I do about my health. I know.. I should find another one, but right now, after all the problems I've had, it wouldn't be easy.. so what is happening is, I am losing weight slowly, my way.. and I don't mention the phentermine.. I realize I'm not in good place with the good Dr., but, I've just now recovered from the awful allergic rashes that I had for several months, and I hate the thoughts of taking amphetemines to lose weight. .plus they've always made me feel sick, so I plan to tell him soon that I can't take them because they make me sick.. that's not a total lie, because they would , if I would take them.. Maybe someone else has a more clear answer for you on your question, but that was my experience, it didnt' hurt me, or my weight loss at all.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #400
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fermina
Hello. I did the CAD successfully about 16 years ago. I decided to start over.
Today is my 3rth day. and I'd like to share my diet experience.
I wish I could weight 125 pounds.
My weight is 146.5 pounds

Any advice would be so welcome. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Fermina; 03-15-2014 at 09:10 AM..
Fermina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Welcome, Fermina! I've been following this WOE with great success for 5 months, even though I didn't have a lot left to lose when I moved from Atkins to CAD. I started at 150+ lbs and was almost 130 when I started this WOE. Yesterday I had a great whoosh after TOM and was 111.4!

Beadelia, I'm not really sure about that, but I've definitely had some very low carb days where I just didn't feel like eating anything carby, and it always seems to make me lose a little faster. But I'd rather have the slower loss and still be able to eat delicious Indian food like I did today! Yum yum, chicken biryani, channa masala, and naan bread!

Hope everyone had a great week!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #402
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much, KatMck. Wow! You lost so much weight. Congratulations.

The thing is that my pants don't fit me anymore and I bought some new (bigger size). I want to use my old clothes instead buying new ones 2 or 3 sizes bigger.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #403
Junior LCF Member

Day 1: 146.5 pounds
Day 4: 144.5 pounds
Old 03-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #404
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymar View Post
Beadelia, you asked a good question, and I'm not sure that I have the right answer, but, I have had days where I didn't eat many carbs with my RM, and all it did was make the loss a little faster..not sure how it works for anyone else. . I've got myself into an unusual kind of a fix tho,.. I am still doing Calp, but I have cut back considerably on the processed foods, especially processed carbs.. what happened was my Dr gave me a script for Phentermine to lose weight, and I did not fill it. . I've had a problem dealing with this Dr. because he doesn't see things the way that I do about my health. I know.. I should find another one, but right now, after all the problems I've had, it wouldn't be easy.. so what is happening is, I am losing weight slowly, my way.. and I don't mention the phentermine.. I realize I'm not in good place with the good Dr., but, I've just now recovered from the awful allergic rashes that I had for several months, and I hate the thoughts of taking amphetemines to lose weight. .plus they've always made me feel sick, so I plan to tell him soon that I can't take them because they make me sick.. that's not a total lie, because they would , if I would take them.. Maybe someone else has a more clear answer for you on your question, but that was my experience, it didnt' hurt me, or my weight loss at all.
Thank you for your answer Jaymar. Also thanks to Kat Mck. Having found a weight loss plan that really works and takes into consideration both human nature and the nature of the world we live in, I don't want to stray off it too far, but some days my body just tells me it doesn't want carby stuff. Yesterday was one of those days--my big RM splurge was a carrot and some cashews--and this morning I was down 6/10 of a pound. Best of all, I seemed to enjoy a day of greater energy and mental clarity than usual--very welcome at my age. So maybe I, too, lose a little faster restricting the carbs more. But it sure is nice to be able to eat a special meal when one presents itself! (Love Indian food too.)

My experience with CAD/CALP is proving to be a roller coaster ride, down, up, and down again on the scales, but I think we all have to study ourselves and learn what works best for us. And we have to keep on studying ourselves, because our bodies change and what used to work may not work any more without some tweaking.

Coincidentally, I started reading Dr. David Perlmutter's Grain Brain a few days ago, about the effects carbs, especially sugar and those containing gluten, have on the brain over the long term. Having spent years caring for a carb-loving hubby with Alzheimer's, it's really making me think. I haven't finished the book yet, but Dr. Perlmutter recommends a diet based largely on proteins and fats (it turns out that our brains need fat and cholesterol!), and says that sweeter or starchier foods like berries, beans, lentils, etc. should be eaten once a day at most, and better yet, just a couple of times a week. Sort of like CALP, only more so.

Jaymar, good for you for sticking to your guns about the weight-loss prescription! If you can lose weight, even very slowly, without it, you'd be a fool to take a drug with such a long list of unpleasant side effects, especially after what you've just been through! Wikipedia calls phentermine a "psychostimulant," which would be enough to scare me off right there. I hope you can soon find a doctor who will be more open to your views about your health. I'm afraid a lot of doctors get their "continuing medical education" from the brochures sent out by pharmaceutical companies, and not too many keep up with new developments in nutrition. My own doctor keeps wanting to put me on statins even though my cholesterol is only slightly elevated and I have no history of heart problems. My chiropractor, who does study nutrition and knows that all the fuss over cholesterol is a tempest in a teapot with no truly valid studies supporting it, says that statins are way too dangerous.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #405
Senior LCF Member

Hey Bedelia, nice to hear from you.. and wow. , we do think alike., just last weekend I watched Dr. Perlmutter on the Grain brain on PBS.. wow, I think he has a lot of valid points. , my mom died with Alzheimer's and I've been concerned with doing whatever I can to prevent it. . don't want my daughter to have to go thru what my family did .. so, I'm making some slight changes to what I eat and added krill oil and other supplements that may be of help . it seems to me that this CALP way of eating is a perfect pattern to make adjustments for me.. I want to the weight to come off and it's getting easier since I'm staying away from sugar and carby foods in general. , and it is nice to still be able to have a meal of your choice sometimes without blowing a diet... I just make my adjustments according to a RM.. wish I had Dr. Perlmutter's book, but I did record the two hour show and have learned a lot. , keep us posted on how things go for you, I enjoy reading your posts.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #406
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alliejon
Stats: 320.8/316.4/145
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
New start

After the umpteenth time, I am restarting original CAD today. I know it works. I know it's best for me. I know I can do it, just not sure why I've had so many false starts lately!!

My pants are too tight, and I already wear the largest size commonly available at department stores.... so my motivation is strong!

I am going to try doing the same CM meals for breakfast and lunch for a while as I get going on the plan. I like the same foods, so I think this will help me stay on track.

Hope everyone is well!!

Allison
Old 03-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #407
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gwebster
Allison, I feel your pain. I keep starting and messing up. The crazy thing is i know it works as I have lost weight on this plan before. I am 57 years old and my weight is affecting my energy and i just plain do not feel well! This thread is very encouraging.....Thank you fellow carb addicts.
gwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #408
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mylowcarb
Net Carbs count on this diet?

Trying to get back on the carbohydrate addicts diet. What about "net carbs", do they apply to this diet for the the Low-carb meals? Ive reread thru the book, can't find answer. Thanks

Last edited by mylowcarb; 03-19-2014 at 06:10 PM..
mylowcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #409
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylowcarb View Post
Trying to get back on the carbohydrate addicts diet. What about "net carbs", do they apply to this diet for the the Low-carb meals? Ive reread thru the book, can't find answer. Thanks
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I do count net carbs, not just carbs, when I have CMs or RMs.

I hope everyone is well! I have been great--just incredibly busy as it's performance season and I just started a full-time faculty position. I'm still sticking to the diet like glue, but I've been adding in a few more carbs as I get closer to goal during RMs. On the 17th, I saw 110.8! I'm up now from eating Japanese the other day, but I'm looking forward to being back down soon! My RMs have been all over the place lately, from sushi to all-American steak and potato! My CMs are pretty much always the same--cheesy chicken and spinach!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

How low are your calories, Kat?
Old 03-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #411
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
How low are your calories, Kat?
I did a calorie count the past few days and it ranges from a little above 2,000 calories to 1,200 a day depending on what I eat for RM. I think mainly I stay between 1,300 and 1,500, but it really depends. Back when I was strictly calorie counting, I would struggle to only eat 1,800 calories a day and feel so deprived. Now on some days I struggle even to make 1,200 without feeling over full!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #412
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FreeFromFat
Stats: 241/228.8/150
WOE: <30 Carbs/day
Start Date: December 2013
Coming Home to CAD/CALP

Hi all, can I just jump right on in here? I am Theresa, I used CAD/CALP many years ago and was successful for a time. Over the years I have stopped and started many different variations of LC. But I've always stopped and each time I stopped, I ended up putting on more and more weight,

I have decided that enough is enough, I am now ~236 lbs, and WOAH! I hate the way I look, I hate the way I feel, I hate clothes; and summer is coming...ugh!

So I have come back home! I hope to make this section my home base here and will enjoy interaction with people who are going through the same issues.

So I am a but and oldie!

FreeFromFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #413
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alliejon
Stats: 320.8/316.4/145
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Kat - recipe?

Kat - how do you prepare cheesy chicken and spinach? I like the idea of repeating the same CMs, and this sounds great.
alliejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Welcome, Theresa, I hear what you're saying. I have done the same thing over the years, but I am settling into the Calp way of eating and finding out so many things that I didn't know before. The things I have learned are so helpful to me, guess everyone is different in how things affect them, I just know that I have changed what I eat , and really enjoy what I eat now,. I have pretty much given up sugar, except for an occasional use, I don't eat the fats that I consider bad for me, like margarine, foods fried at the fast food places.. I even turned down my former favorite Chineese food because I know it has so many preservatives in it.. it has taken months to feel this way, but I really feel like I've found a way to eat that will eventually get me to where I want to be. I still bounce up a pound or so, at times, but it usually goes back down, so I'm gonna trust what I'm doing will work. . good luck to you, keep us posted on how you're doing.

jerri
Old 03-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

Hi ladies, let's not let our thread die out. I am still here. Maybe if we posted some of our menus it would spice things up. I am eating my one meal a day still. I had breakfast for about 2 weeks and loved it. I am now eating dinner only as I am so busy at work. Weight loss isn't as good but that's okay. I can go back to breaky again in the summer when I have more time to make it. I love it though and stick to one meal. TOnight is ribeye, salad, ice cream in rather large portions. Like maybe a 12 oz. steak and family sized salad with a mug of ice cream.

Kat, could you post some menus too.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #416
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FreeFromFat
Stats: 241/228.8/150
WOE: <30 Carbs/day
Start Date: December 2013
Menu today

Here's what I have on my menu for today:

CM1: scrambled egg w/salsa & cheese; pepperoni slices; coffee with half and half

CM2: hard boiled eggs & baby bell peppers; small amount of cheese

RM: turkey burger w/salsa; green beans w/butter; small baked potato w/sour cream

Also: 3 Tbps coconut oil throughout the day

How's that look?

theresa
FreeFromFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #417
Senior LCF Member

This is a really exciting post for me! Today I weighed 109.6, so I have officially reached my goal! It's also my 100th post, which is a neat coincidence. As of today, I have lost over 40 lbs.

I intend to post weekly weight averages to keep me honest--I'm not going anywhere! With that said, I thought I would include a couple of photos of my weight loss journey. From here on out, I'll be trying to figure out maintenance needs and how to be sure I don't gain it all back like I have a dozen times before.

The first picture is of me at my highest in the 150s. The second is me this morning at 109.6.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150Kat.jpg (74.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 150KatSide.jpg (58.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 109Kat1.jpg (13.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 109KatSide.jpg (12.5 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by KatMck; 03-26-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Old 03-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #418
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliejon View Post
Kat - how do you prepare cheesy chicken and spinach? I like the idea of repeating the same CMs, and this sounds great.
I'll warn you in advance that I'm not much of a cook! My CMs are simple and not exactly gourmet, lol!

Every weekend, I buy a pack of boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I put them in a casserole dish and cover them on both sides with minced garlic, salt, pepper, and whatever else I feel like adding. Then I cover and cook at 350 degrees for two hours. After that, I take my glass freezer containers and separate the thighs into equal parts in each container and pull them apart with a fork. Then I pack spinach or broccoli or some other vegetable as tightly as I can on top and pour some of the leftover juice from the casserole dish into each container. Then I add grated cheese on top of the veggies in each dish, put on the lid, and freeze.

During the week, I eat my RM at lunch (sandwiches or Mexican, or whatever I'm feeling) and in the evening, I pop one of the frozen containers into the microwave and heat it up. 2:30 seconds for me, but I'm sure it varies by microwave. The juice from the chicken steams the veggies and makes it pretty tasty. I like easy, and this dish makes healthy frozen meals that make sticking to the diet a little easier.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFromFat View Post
Here's what I have on my menu for today:

CM1: scrambled egg w/salsa & cheese; pepperoni slices; coffee with half and half

CM2: hard boiled eggs & baby bell peppers; small amount of cheese

RM: turkey burger w/salsa; green beans w/butter; small baked potato w/sour cream

Also: 3 Tbps coconut oil throughout the day

How's that look?

theresa
That looks like an awesome day of tasty CAD meals, Theresa! I think I am going to try Loco Moco this week for an RM. Apparently it's a Hawaiian dish of white rice with a hamburger patty on top of the rice and then an over easy egg on top of that covered with brown gravy. YUM!! Sounds like a balanced RM to me!!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #420
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone, your menus sound pretty good.. I've been leaving early in the mornings so today I had a LC, high protein shake w/coconut oil, and back home for lunch, that was a southwestern omelet w/green beans., tonight I look forward to some meatballs , sm serving of pasta w/ pesto sauce and a salad. . Kat and Oriana you are doing great with your numbers, and I think everyone else is doing well by looking at your menus. . I've been adding some things such as coconut oil, himalyan salt, hoping to help with water retention. I think I will start checking the calories just to have an idea of what I'm taking in, I'm sure enjoying the good food and hoping to lose another few lbs by the end of the week.