Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymar View Post
I have also learned to eyeball my plate, and the size of the portions have changed a bit since I started eating this way.. seems like for me, it's the volume of what I eat that can cause me a problem I like to add lots of mushrooms, onions, and peppers etc. to my dishes, so I can't overdo it or I get a temporary tummy ache.. guess that's for the best , for me, anyway..the other day I picked up Chinese food for my main RM, well, I couldn't eat half of it, where as in the past I would have eaten the whole meal. . don't know why it's happened this way, but I'm learning to live with it..and hoping for more weight loss.. good luck to all of you, and have a Happy Valentine's Day.
I've experienced the same thing. At the beginning I went back for seconds and had huge portions, now my portions are tiny and I feel stuffed after one serving of each.

116.0 today on the scale. We had a great feast for Valentine's Day!

RM: Toasted chicken salad sandwich, homemade goldfish and chocolate chip cookies.

CM: Cheese snack.

CM: Chicken and veggies.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day today!
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #302
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 68islandgirl
WOE: CALP
Start Date: FEB 2014
I did CAD in 1998 and lost 30 lbs in 3 months. It was so easy to do. Well 16 yrs later I REALLY need to start again. Low carb has always been the best WOE for me. And the RM is awesome because I look forward to it and its very satisfying! Ive hovered over this thread off and on for a cpl years. My husband is an awesome chef and I love to cook too. He loves to feed me and because he does I of course make him happy and eat it!!! So the RM is so perfect because I dont have to say "No I cant eat that"! Anyway glad I found 2014 thread! will be looking in every day for motivation and support. BTW: doing CALP. Much healthier

Last edited by 68islandgirl; 02-14-2014 at 06:28 PM..
68islandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Yikes! I just averaged my weights for the past week, and for the first time since December 29 I have an actual gain -- 2.3 lbs! This is after hitting a new low, too. (I think Kat Mck is right--when we hit a new low, our bodies tend to freak out because we're actually programmed to gain.) I've been extra hungry this week, and there could be a couple of reasons. I've had to take much more hydrocodone than usual for arthritis because I can't take NSAIDs until after I have a test next week, and that stuff always messes me up in all sorts of ways. It's been cold here in the Dallas area lately, and I always crave carbs if it's cold and especially if it's overcast. I've definitely been eating too much, and eating outside the prescribed times for CAD/CALP.

Well, it has warmed up the last couple of days and the overcast has cleared away, so my spirits are up a bit. It's supposed to be about 66 today and then highs in the seventies for the next several days. Yay! So now I need to get a grip on myself and get back on plan. One good thing I did for myself the other day was to throw out the dried fruits (pears, peaches, apples, mangoes) I love to have for my RM dessert. They're like candy, and because they have little water content it's easy to eat too much of them. Now I need to start walking. I've been pretty sedentary most of the time since having my knee replaced in September. So now I'll start by walking in circles inside my house (fortunately, the layout lets me go in a circle from room to room), and when I build up enough stamina to make it around the block I'll start walking outside again. Wish me luck.

Welcome, new posters! 68islandgirl, I love the picture you posted. It reminds me so much of places I loved to visit along the Oregon Coast during the nearly fifty years I lived in the Pacific Northwest. And you are right--CALP is much healthier. I've been doing CAD for the most part, and it's too easy for a compulsive overeater like me to go hog wild during RMs.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
MIW where are you???
oriana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
MIW where are you???
Been wondering that myself.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
i am still here too everyone! Just been busy. Last couple of weeks I have been including more breakfast low carb and around lunch time is my bigger carb meal. Just works better for me schedule-wise but I tell you one day we went out for Valentines and I was done eating by 5 pm and it bothered me all night! I hate eating a big meal later and love love love eating earlier in the day. Yesterday I actually woke up super hungry (4am!!!) but had to wait until around 8:30am while at work. I just take it day by day and don't follow the BBD per the book but the "concept" of having my carbs earlier in the day and I just do them once a day only. IF, and I mean if I need to eat again that day I do- it is just low carb only like salad and meat. So far working good for me.

My wt this last week or 2 bouncing from 211's-213's. I was NOT good about daily wts since I was working last 3 days and get up 4 hours earlier than my non-work weigh in days so I skipped because it always has me up a pound or two weighing in that much earlier.

Today 213.4 lbs but I am fine with that. Had that HUGE Valetine's Day dinner, lots of stress from work, different sleep schedules but I have been eating on plan and a fabulous plan at that! Hope all is well.

MIW
Old 02-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

Good to hear from you, MIW. I am eating and loving my rms. I have been eating cms and and rm later and yes it does sit with me more than eating earlier. The last couple of days has been just a rm dinner an nothing else. Tomorrow I am going to have a big cm breakfast and then a rm dinner. I like that I can change things up a bit and make it work!!! I am at 111 which I don't like. I like 107 but I know it is from coming off of the silly fruit diet. No more of that for me.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

ok, my new computer (husband's) drives me nuts. Had typed out last 4 days of meals and hit some stupid button that took me back to the desktop and lost it all. Not going to re-type but I have had a lot a great meals!

MIW
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

Ahhhh, at least give us one, MIW!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

I am down to 109 today but only because I starved last night and only had one meal of 2 oranges and 8 oz. of Reesees. I was at the hospital all day. I am eating 2 cms of cheese and coffee with HWC/steak, salad with ranch/rm today as I am hungry. I lose best on one meal but I am triggered to binge today from hunger and all carbs yesterday so I have to nip this fast.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #311
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 208/208/140
WOE: CAD
Start Date: Jan 2014
Bye for now!

Hey guys. Just finished the juice fast and it was incredible. Lots of spiritual significance for me. Did lose 15 lbs in the 15 days but I will gain some of that back now that I am eating. The wonderful thing about this is I don't crave anything sweet or bread or processed. I will use CAD principles on days I need to splurge for parties etc but eating fruits vegs meat beans nuts and seeds as normal. I just feel better. Actually just came off the fast yesterday and walked for 1 1/2 hrs today. I haven't had that kind of energy in years. Because I will be eating things that have carbs - nuts and beans and fruits I am going to bow out of the forum. I wouldn't be a help but a distraction. I love CAD but I was obsessed with bingeing on sweet and carbs so I wasn't healing my actual addiction. Seems like you guys may not have the issues I did with them. Good luck to everyone. Oriana - so sorry to hear about our Dad and hope he is going to be ok. You guys are great!
Sanctifiedbygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #312
Senior LCF Member

I've been rocketing back and forth as I approach TOM. I did see 114.8 a couple of days ago, but I shot back up a lb. the very next day and down .4 lb from that today. Still doing relatively well despite not exercising as much as I should be.

Yesterday's meals:

RM: Roast beef sandwich, homemade goldfish crackers and chocolate chip cookie

CM snack: cottage cheese whipped with a few raspberries, no sweetener

CM: Pesto chicken with green beans and slivered almonds.

Today's meals:

RM: Lime Fresh Mexican Grill Lime burrito, no refried beans.

For CM, I'll eat chicken and veggies.

If I need a snack, probably cheese.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
All the best to you , Sanctified.. hope you do well with your weight management.. I have something kind of good to report , you know how we bounce around with the scale?, well today I bounced up 2 lbs, But, it's the lowest figure I have seen in years and years.. yay!.. I am now down 16 lbs with about 50 to go, and best of all, I have hope now that I can do it.. also solved the mystery to my severe allergic reactions that have been going on for months.. it was sulfa..yes.. after the Dr put me on an antibiotic for bronchitis, he continued prescribing a diuretic that contains sulfa..that's why it would never heal and just kept getting worse all the time. . Thank God for this good news because it really messed up my head, seemed like there was no resolution. . I know we all have different issues, but it helps to see some of those pounds go by the wayside, and I get lots of encouragement from reading what you all post.. have a good evening..

jerri
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Jerri good news about the allergy discovery! Sulfites are in a lot of things like cheese, wine, so do some research and cut out sources and I bet you will feel better than you have in years! I am so happy because I know how you have posted this issue for a while now.

MIW
Old 02-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

Ok Yesterday I was 212 and had an awesome eating day that of course bumped me up 3 pounds to 215! LOL

I don't care because this is for life and face it- some days we eat more and some we eat less.

Yesterday:

Breakfast CM
16 ounce iced decaf Americano with cream
1 boiled egg
1ounce cheese
2 big sticks of elk pepperoni

Lunch RM:
2 large enchiladas with sour cream
large mixed green salad with blue cheese dsg
1 slice of whole grain fig and almond bread with butter
24 oz iced decaf mocha with whole milk and splash of half and half
2 pecan caramel clusters
1 cup full fat yogurt
1 cup red grapes

I was so full but it was great. The bread was definitely extra non-needed carbs but it was an artisan bread made with whole ingredients and sweetened with orange juice. I don't want it to go bad and no one else is eating it so I am trying to eat a slice a day.

I suspect the elk pepperoni might have a bit too many carbs but it comes from a local butcher shop and it is so spicy and wonderful. Normally I only eat one piece but was hungry yesterday morning. It could be causing a jump in my insulin release but I don't eat it often. I will be eating enchiladas for most of the few day's RM's since hubby made 2 big trays so we are eating up leftovers.

MIW
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Today I am having 1 egg, some bacon, and a 16 oz iced decaf Americano with cream and cinnamon sprinkles for a breakfast CM.

Lunch time RM planned again for today that will likely be similar to yesterdays.

MIW
Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Ok Oriana, for you I will retype out what I remember my meals from last week starting on Feb 13th (Thursday)

Thurs:

Lunch CM of iced decaf American with cream
small pork chop

Dinner RM:
Cadillac margarita
steak fajitas
2 pc of Mexican pizza (fried tortilla shells with beans, chz, ground beef)
beans and rice
3 caramel pecan clusters
large handful of cashews
(I brought the chocolate and nuts with me to eat in the car. I've been trying to eat cashews daily- supposed to be a natural antidepressant!)

Friday:
6 oz filet mignon
large mixed green salad with blue cheese
1 orange
1 cup full fat yogurt (14gm per serving)
3 pecan caramel clusters
handful of cashews
16 oz iced decaf mocha

Saturday:
6 inch subway sandwhich
1 cup full fat yogurt
1 cup strawberries
1 orange
16 oz iced decaf mocha
3 caramel clusters
1 boiled egg
2 oz baked rabbit meat

Sunday:
breakfast CM of
1 boiled egg
2 oz baked rabbit meat
16 oz iced decaf Americano with cream

Lunch RM:
6 inch subway sandwich
1 cup full fat yogurt
1 orange
handful cashews
16 oz iced decaf mocha with whole milk
2 caramel pecan clusters

MIW
Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #318
Senior LCF Member

Sanctifiedbygrace, we will miss you. Keep checking in from time to time and let us know how you are doing. And come on back if you find that your new program isn't working for you. I, too, have some issues with cravings even now, and have learned that it's best not to go overboard with sweets at my RM. Fruit and a handful of nuts makes a better dessert than, say, half a box of windmill cookies or a slab of chocolate cake from McAlister's. (I don't know what part of Texas you live in, so don't know if you have a McAlister's, but that chocolate cake is outstanding, as is the carrot cake. But you know how it is--Texans really know how to eat, so wherever you are, temptation is nigh.) The thing with CAD, and even more with CALP, is that it teaches me how to cope with the cravings by tweaking my meals and observing which foods set me off. For an insulin resistant person like me, CALP is the way out of the trap. I just have to keep plugging, and not get discouraged and throw in the towel when I hit a bump in the road.

MIW, thank you for posting your menus. I'd be interested in hearing more about cashews being an anti-depressant--do you recall where you heard that? BTW, the Mexican Pizza sounds wunnnnnnnderful.

Jaymar, I'm so happy that you've finally found the source of your trouble and can eliminate it. My chiropractor says that hidden allergens can make it nearly impossible to lose weight, and as MIW says, they can be hidden in all sorts of unsuspected places, as anybody who is sensitive to gluten knows. I sure didn't know about sulfites in wine and cheese! Hang in there.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Back to Basics

Yesterday I re-read the information posted at the beginning of this thread, and was amazed at how much I'd forgotten about CAD/CALP. I can't re-read the books several times a year, but I think I'll make a practice of re-reading the condensed version of the plan on this thread every month or so, just to help me stay on track. Even small details can really matter in this battle against overweight. One important thing I discovered is that I'm probably not eating enough protein.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #320
Major LCF Poster!

Beadelia, the cashew nut thing about it being an anti-depressant was on a nutrition documentary I watched on Netflix. It might have been Forks over Knives or some similar. It had the same doctor in it from Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead who is an MD and nutritional expert. It wasn't him that said it but some other nutrition guru. They spout a mainly vegetable based diet which I don't adhere to but I am always looking for healthier things to add to my diet!

MIW
Old 02-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Beadelia, the cashew nut thing about it being an anti-depressant was on a nutrition documentary I watched on Netflix. It might have been Forks over Knives or some similar. It had the same doctor in it from Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead who is an MD and nutritional expert. It wasn't him that said it but some other nutrition guru. They spout a mainly vegetable based diet which I don't adhere to but I am always looking for healthier things to add to my diet!

MIW
Thanks MIW. I did a little Googling just now, and apparently the element in cashews that acts as an anti-depressant is tryptophan, which breaks down into niacin and is made into serotonin. One article said you need to have carbohydrate in your meals to get the tryptophan to your brain where it can do the most good, so I think I'll try to make sure I have some raw cashews with my RMs.

I haven't really checked out Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, but have tried a vegetarian diet a few times, and just got too droopy. The longest I made it was 90 days, and then something snapped. When my husband picked me up at work that night, my first words to him were "Outaback Steakhouse, and step on it." You know, I hadn't realized until then that our old Volvo could accelerate that fast.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
Thanks MIW. I did a little Googling just now, and apparently the element in cashews that acts as an anti-depressant is tryptophan, which breaks down into niacin and is made into serotonin. One article said you need to have carbohydrate in your meals to get the tryptophan to your brain where it can do the most good, so I think I'll try to make sure I have some raw cashews with my RMs.

I haven't really checked out Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, but have tried a vegetarian diet a few times, and just got too droopy. The longest I made it was 90 days, and then something snapped. When my husband picked me up at work that night, my first words to him were "Outaback Steakhouse, and step on it." You know, I hadn't realized until then that our old Volvo could accelerate that fast.
I needed a good laugh today! THANKS! LOL

MIW
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Yay for Outback, ha ha ..reminds me of when we spent three weeks in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. . in a motor home, I was cooking and using a lot of canned foods, and one day I said. I think we need some red meat, and the others kind of pooh poohed that, anyway, we found a steakhouse and after dinner everyone was saying Wow I feel so much better.. later on we were able to get the very best seafood I had ever tasted, in Seattle.. I would drive all the way from Florida to have a week of that great seafood again. . It is good to be feeling better, and I find that I am mildly craving better foods, at first I thought I had to have a great dessert with my RM, today I chose a sweet potato and really was satisfied..This is a great way to eat, and I feel more satisfied all the time because there is such freedom.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymar View Post
Yay for Outback, ha ha ..reminds me of when we spent three weeks in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. . in a motor home, I was cooking and using a lot of canned foods, and one day I said. I think we need some red meat, and the others kind of pooh poohed that, anyway, we found a steakhouse and after dinner everyone was saying Wow I feel so much better.. later on we were able to get the very best seafood I had ever tasted, in Seattle.. I would drive all the way from Florida to have a week of that great seafood again. . It is good to be feeling better, and I find that I am mildly craving better foods, at first I thought I had to have a great dessert with my RM, today I chose a sweet potato and really was satisfied..This is a great way to eat, and I feel more satisfied all the time because there is such freedom.
Ahhhhh, Pacific Northwest Seafood. I lived in the PNW for about fifty years before we moved to Texas in '06, and I still miss being able to drive down to the coast for a day of beachcombing and feasting. I can still taste the chowder and prawns at Dooger's at Cannon Beach, and cherish the memory of many wonderful meals eaten at the Spouting Horn, overlooking the channel at Depoe Bay. Once the catch of the day was ling cod, and it was unbelievably good, fresh out of the cold Pacific and into a hot skillet in a matter of hours. Follow that with deep dish blackberry pie and you're in heaven. Most of all I miss fresh halibut. It's sort of a local joke that you never want to order seafood in Dallas, and buying and cooking frozen halibut isn't at all the same as ordering it fresh in the PNW, or at least I haven't found it so.

To change the subject, your sweet potato sounds like a terrific idea. Hmmmm, I have some ham in the fridge to go with one. I'm glad you find this WOE so liberating, too.

MIW, glad to be of service!
Old 02-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
Ahhhhh, Pacific Northwest Seafood. I lived in the PNW for about fifty years before we moved to Texas in '06, and I still miss being able to drive down to the coast for a day of beachcombing and feasting. I can still taste the chowder and prawns at Dooger's at Cannon Beach, and cherish the memory of many wonderful meals eaten at the Spouting Horn, overlooking the channel at Depoe Bay. Once the catch of the day was ling cod, and it was unbelievably good, fresh out of the cold Pacific and into a hot skillet in a matter of hours. Follow that with deep dish blackberry pie and you're in heaven. Most of all I miss fresh halibut. It's sort of a local joke that you never want to order seafood in Dallas, and buying and cooking frozen halibut isn't at all the same as ordering it fresh in the PNW, or at least I haven't found it so.
Wow, I am drooling! You are some kinda writer! I can picture it all now.

It's TOM, but the past couple of days I've had my usual sandwich with homemade cookies and cheese crackers and then chicken and veggies as a CM.

Hope everyone is doing well! Glad to hear you figured that out about the sulfites, Jaymar. I'm in central Florida as well, by the way!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

Ha ha I live near Seattle! We are hopefully (work schedule willing) going clam digging for razor clams near West Port this April. All depends if they open on certain dates and what beaches. We love Long Beach, WA, Ilwaco, WA, Seaside, OR, and Cannon Beach, OR. We often just go to places in the south Puget Sound so the kids can run and throw rocks in the water. WA is nice because we have it all: mountains, ocean, rivers, lakes, and Eastern WA is like the Midwest and Southwest. We even have canyons and desert here!

I can HIGHLY recommend the Surfsand resort and Wayfarer restaurant there. It faces Haystack rock and the rooms are incredible. You will feel like a Queen there and eat like a King at that restaurant! We just love running around getting sand between our toes and in our pockets and being beach bums but if we are really splurging it is nice to stay in the fancy hotel...

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 02-21-2014 at 08:36 AM..
Old 02-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #327
Major LCF Poster!

213.4 lbs today. I forgot, duh! TOM is coming soon. No wonder I saw a 215 this week! LOL

Yesterday I was at work.

Breakfast CM:
5 pc bacon
16 oz iced decaf Americano with cream

Lunch RM:
large mixed green salad
1 large enchilada
1 cup full fat yogurt
16 oz decaf iced mocha with whole milk
1 cup strawberries
handful cashews
2 pecan caramel clusters
1 large choc chip cookie

MIW
Old 02-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #328
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fab at 60
Stats: 188/188/138
WOE: CAD/8 Hour Diet
Start Date: February 21, 2014
Hi everyone. I'd like to join your group if that is okay. I first registered here in 2009 but then never did keep up with the site. So I'm no longer fab at 60. I'll be 65 this spring. I have done CAD off and on for 20 years or so. It always works for me, then I stop doing it and regain all the weight. I'm going to give it another try and do my best to make it a permanent lifestyle. I am planning to combine CAD with the 8 Hour Diet. I am almost never hungry for breakfast anyway, so waiting until lunch for my first meal of the day is easy for me. And if I eat later than 7:00 pm, I have a problem with acid reflux. So I am setting my eating window as 11-7.

Oh, and my name is Sue.
fab at 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Sue! I am sure you are still Fab and that you can do this forever! I look forward to having the one meal a day that I don't have to worry about what I want and if I need more it is as simple as just meat, cheese, eggs, and a low carb veggie. So simple and so effective. My weight loss has been super slow but I am never hungry and I am still losing so I can't complain too much!

MIW
Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Welcome, Sue, good to have you here., I think this is a great place and everyone is so nice and so helpful, this place is a lifesaver for me.. thanks Beadelia and KatMck, I am so grateful for finally getting past that awful, awful rash.. never saw anything like it, and hope I never do again.. oh, Kat, so you live in central Florida also.. that is cool.. I'm not a native, been here about 12 years. , there are lots of great things about living in vacation land all the time. I don't look forward to the hurricanes,, but in central we don't really have to evacuate, just watch out for the high winds and tornadoes.. .I have to say that I'm so optimistic about this woe, it seems like I am adjusting to it and making good changes slowly, but surely. .I have always known that sugar is a problem for me, so I have slowly cut out most of it and really don't miss it.. I did do one thing that seems to have helped me out of a stall, and that was I added some fat to my daily meals.. such as a bit of cream cheese, sour cream and butter.. before that I wasn't eating a lot of fat, but it seems to have helped me drop some more weight..