Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
Ohhhhh! I didn't know that. I usually do have 2 of each but decided I wanted a big breakfast on my first day. Clearly wasn't smart... lol.
I'm having a pretty heinous sugar craving right now though. It's hard going from a weeklong carb buffet to none at all in a day!
Yeah, it took me a couple of tries to work out that is what makes me feel so unwell

If you can't get passed the sugar cravings and feel like you are going to snap then I suggest you whip up a tablespoon of hwc and a tablespoon of cream cheese with some stevia and a bit of vanilla essence (and cocoa powder if you are a chocolate person) and eat it. This keeps you pretty much on plan, makes your brain think you've had something sweet and enables you to move on. Generally I try to stick it out for a couple of days but if I find I'm going to crack or throw in the towel this helps me immensely so I don't go off plan altogether. It's best to only use in case of 'emergencies' and not an everyday thing when on M&E

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
This is good. If a bunch of us try the salad experiment and give feedback here, we will have more info for new m&e peeps I suspect it'll be one of those YMMV things. I'll have a look af5er work and see if I can find a synopsis of the original atkins diet I read online once. It was very good a5 explaining what had changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
That would be great Lil!

I'm game Natasha. I might be getting sick, I'm heading to bed with Zycam to try and ward it off. If I beat it, I'll go for it. Worst case I'll wait until I'm well and you guys can be my trial group

I read green olives, but not how many. Anybody know?
No idea about the number of olives sorry, but will post if I come across it. Right just about to make myself my first little salad for the day
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Ok, I'm tucking into a small salad (less than a cup) of cos lettuce, very small amount of cucumber, a cut up boiled egg, cut up ham and a dressing made from whole egg mayo, olive oil, tiny bit of mustard, couple of drops of white vinegar and a pinch of stevia. One word. DIVINE! Tastes a bit like I'm having a 'faux' caesar salad (my fave!).

I really think this will help me keep on track and stick M&E out for more than a few days at a time because I won't feel like I'm missing out too much on my veggies. I'm going to have another lettuce/cue/dressing salad with my meat for dinner tonight. Watch this space for an update on whether I drop any weight tomorrow I love being a guinea pig

Sorry, not to go on about it but I'm feeling seriously satisfied boys and girls Hopefully it won't affect my performance on the scales tomorrow

Last edited by tashydoll; 01-14-2014 at 06:36 PM..
Old 01-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4
WOE: M&E + Wine!
Start Date: October 1, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions, tashy!
I think I might do induction for the rest of this week and rejoin you guys for M&E after that. I've been pretty sick the last few days and think I might fare better getting in some greens. Keep my spot warm for next Monday!!!
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, tashy!
I think I might do induction for the rest of this week and rejoin you guys for M&E after that. I've been pretty sick the last few days and think I might fare better getting in some greens. Keep my spot warm for next Monday!!!
No worries. That actually might be a good place to start as you are allowed more stuff and probably won't feel as deprived. Make sure you come back and join us when you're ready or pop by and let us know how you are going. We might also have some more in-depth data on the "effect that 2 small salads per day has on M&E" Good luck!

Last edited by tashydoll; 01-14-2014 at 06:39 PM..
Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Terri I found this...apparently it has no mention of the number of olives allowed on Atkins '72 so maybe just a couple would be ok??

Quote:
From Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution, Fourth Printing, December 1972, pages 136-140:

Quote:
Meat: Steaks, corned beef, lamb chops, tongue, hamburgers, bacon, any kind of meat in any quantity--except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged "cold cuts". (Italics his.)

Fowl: Duckling, turkey, chicken, anything with wings, no stuffing.

Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners (e.g., D-Zerta).

Condiments: Salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla and other extracts; artificial sweeteners; any dry powdered spice that contains no sugar.

Drinks: Water, mineral water, Vichy, club soda, beef or chicken broth, bouillon, sugar-free diet soda; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee.

*Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, which contains caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three. As of the date of publication, Diet Rite Cola and Diet Pepsi contain not only caffeine, but a significant amount of carbohydrate, so, fair warning, read the labels even on diet drinks carefully and control your intake accordingly. (Italics his.)

Fish: All fish, including canned salmon, tuna; any kind of seafood, including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, clams, mussels, scallops, and pickled fish. (Italics his.)

Eggs: Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelet--any style and with no limitations,

Salads: Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus . . . green olives.

(Butter and Mayonnaise) Fats: Butter, margarine, oils, shortening, lard, mayonnaise. (Fats have no carbohydrates.)

Juice: Juice of one lemon or lime.

Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard, aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.

Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk, so don't use milk.)

The Diet Revolution Vegetables: Asparagus, avocado, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, chard, Chinese cabbage, eggplant, kale, kohlrabi, mushrooms, okra, onions, peppers, pumpkin, rhubarb, sauerkraut, snow pea pods, spinach, string beans, summer squash, tomatoes, turnips, water chestnuts, wax beans, zucchini squash.

The Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, chicory, Chinese cabbage, chives, cucumber, endive, escarole, fennel, lettuce, olives (green or black), onions, pickles (sour or dill), parsley, peppers, radishes, scallions, watercress.

The Diet Revolution No-No's. (This is not a complete list, by any means.) For you they're poison--don't forget it. Bananas, beans (except green or wax), bread, cake, candy, cashews, cereal, chewing gum, cookies, corn, cornstarch, crackers, dates, figs, flour, dried fruit, honey, ice cream, jam, catsup, macaroni, milk, pancakes, peas, sweet pickles, potatoes (white and sweet), raisins, sweet relish, rice, spaghetti, sugar, syrup, yams, sweetened yogurt.

NO "MISTAKES." Sometimes, a single stick of chewing gum or putting milk in your coffee could put you right back to Level One--by upsetting the new chemical balance in your body. Yes, even that much carbohydrate over your tolerance level can turn off your fat-mobilizing hormone. Then you'll need at least two no-carbohydrate days to get it circulating again so that you're unhungry, feeling high, and burning off fat again.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Hey ya'll!

I started my new regimen last night, and today-- I tell you, I was light-headed as all get out.

Feeling better, now--

I made some awesome chicken meatballs, and a lovely pork steak last night-- having the same when I get home, plus I'm making some serious deviled eggs.

I'm fairly sure I need to be drinking a little more water, and will make up for it tonight. :-)

Hope everyone is doing well!

Oh! I defeated last nights sweets craving with herbal tea and stevia. It worked.
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
Yeah, it took me a couple of tries to work out that is what makes me feel so unwell

If you can't get passed the sugar cravings and feel like you are going to snap then I suggest you whip up a tablespoon of hwc and a tablespoon of cream cheese with some stevia and a bit of vanilla essence (and cocoa powder if you are a chocolate person) and eat it. This keeps you pretty much on plan, makes your brain think you've had something sweet and enables you to move on. Generally I try to stick it out for a couple of days but if I find I'm going to crack or throw in the towel this helps me immensely so I don't go off plan altogether. It's best to only use in case of 'emergencies' and not an everyday thing when on M&E
I've had to declare a moratorium on stuff like that: I'll eat it, and eat more, then before you know it , I'm over my carb limit. I may give it a shot in a few weeks when I've adjusted....
Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Just had to say this: How the heck has it happened that I'm spending LESS for groceries-- not more. I'm not complainin'.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Just had to say this: How the heck has it happened that I'm spending LESS for groceries-- not more. I'm not complainin'.
Yeah, I definitely expected my grocery bill to go up, and it did like the first time while I got a bunch of essentials - new oils and spices, etc - but mine went down drastically because I don't wander around in the aisles and just pick up random things that "look good" like I used to. Now, I only head to produce, meat, and dairy for the most part and don't fill up my cart with a bunch of crap I didn't go in to buy.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No worries. That actually might be a good place to start as you are allowed more stuff and probably won't feel as deprived. Make sure you come back and join us when you're ready or pop by and let us know how you are going. We might also have some more in-depth data on the "effect that 2 small salads per day has on M&E" Good luck!
Thank you!
I am going to do a clean, by-the-book induction. I think I just needed a buffer between like 200g to 0g... lol.
It might not even make a huge difference but knowing I can saute up some mushrooms and onions and/or grab a hefty serving of broccoli seems a bit more doable for me right now.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:27 AM   #132
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Hi! I'm actually doing HFLC/NK but I seem to be lurking here a lot and thought I'd say hello! I've noticed over the last week or so that I'm eating less and less carbs, and feeling better doing so, hence my lurking over here.

I tend to fast with only two BPC until dinnertime and usually build my menu around fats and protein, with a tiny bit of carbs.
Today I'm having an omelette made from 4 eggs, with parmesan, gouda and feta cheeses (combined less than 3 oz), 4 thin crispy rashers of bacon and 1/2cup of cultured organic saurkraut. Works out to be 4 grams of carbs for the day.

Yesterday I ended up having 12 oz of fatty ground beef cooked in coconut oil with some spices and some feta and parmesan, so just about the 0- 2 grams of carbs number there.

I did zero carbs a long time ago, but found it very restricting. I think allowing myself to have carbs from vegetables gives me less pressure to choose the right thing. I noticed I naturally tend to choose less carbs when I don't feel I HAVE TO eat zero carb. Weird how the brain works!

Anyway, hello from me, I'm going back to lurkdom, will probably occasionally pop in to say hi!

Suzanneyea, hello there! Hope you are well!!!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #133
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I never have cravings, except when pregnant. During my pregnancy, the cravings were out of control. So, I do understand what you guys are going through.
I tried sugar free jello and other zc or low cab foods and it was a complete disaster. It made my cravings so much worse.
I could do vegetables though, that seemed to help.
Vegetables seem to not trigger. While dairy, nuts, and sweet tasting things seem trickier.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/139.3/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Hey ya'll!

I started my new regimen last night, and today-- I tell you, I was light-headed as all get out.

Feeling better, now--

I made some awesome chicken meatballs, and a lovely pork steak last night-- having the same when I get home, plus I'm making some serious deviled eggs.

I'm fairly sure I need to be drinking a little more water, and will make up for it tonight. :-)

Hope everyone is doing well!

Oh! I defeated last nights sweets craving with herbal tea and stevia. It worked.
Hi Erica,
Have you tried Chicken Broth? I find it a great stabilizer though I don't have much problem because I've done low carb off & on for years my body is well equipped to switch over. Just make sure it's not low sodium. Contrary to normal diets low carb makes you throw off sodium. When DH wasn't feeling well I had him just put a bit of salt in his palm and pop it in his mouth. He was amazed how fast it made him feel better.

Quote:
Yeah, I definitely expected my grocery bill to go up, and it did like the first time while I got a bunch of essentials - new oils and spices, etc - but mine went down drastically because I don't wander around in the aisles and just pick up random things that "look good" like I used to. Now, I only head to produce, meat, and dairy for the most part and don't fill up my cart with a bunch of crap I didn't go in to buy.
Although meat can be expensive I find the same thing because of all the extra garbage I'm not buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Hi! I'm actually doing HFLC/NK but I seem to be lurking here a lot and thought I'd say hello! I've noticed over the last week or so that I'm eating less and less carbs, and feeling better doing so, hence my lurking over here.

I tend to fast with only two BPC until dinnertime and usually build my menu around fats and protein, with a tiny bit of carbs.
Today I'm having an omelette made from 4 eggs, with parmesan, gouda and feta cheeses (combined less than 3 oz), 4 thin crispy rashers of bacon and 1/2cup of cultured organic saurkraut. Works out to be 4 grams of carbs for the day.

Yesterday I ended up having 12 oz of fatty ground beef cooked in coconut oil with some spices and some feta and parmesan, so just about the 0- 2 grams of carbs number there.

I did zero carbs a long time ago, but found it very restricting. I think allowing myself to have carbs from vegetables gives me less pressure to choose the right thing. I noticed I naturally tend to choose less carbs when I don't feel I HAVE TO eat zero carb. Weird how the brain works!

Anyway, hello from me, I'm going back to lurkdom, will probably occasionally pop in to say hi!

Welcome Mimosa!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Terri I found this...apparently it has no mention of the number of olives allowed on Atkins '72 so maybe just a couple would be ok??
Thanks Tash!

Copied and in the ready! One thing I saw mentioned several times is most people confuse this section to be part of week one induction when it is for after induction which of course is what New Diet Revolution starts with:

"The Diet Revolution Vegetables: Asparagus, avocado, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, chard, Chinese cabbage, eggplant, kale, kohlrabi, mushrooms, okra, onions, peppers, pumpkin, rhubarb, sauerkraut, snow pea pods, spinach, string beans, summer squash, tomatoes, turnips, water chestnuts, wax beans, zucchini squash.

The Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, chicory, Chinese cabbage, chives, cucumber, endive, escarole, fennel, lettuce, olives (green or black), onions, pickles (sour or dill), parsley, peppers, radishes, scallions, watercress."

I'm feeling better today, still taking medication, so I'll wait a couple days to get started. Can't wait to hear how your scale treats you today.

Last edited by TerriMM; 01-15-2014 at 06:43 AM..
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Morning M&E family

Ok, are you ready? Drum roll please.....the scale says......-1.1lb!!!! Now I know that's not a lot of weight but I'm only trying to lose 2.5lbs that I keep gaining and losing over the holiday break so I'm pretty happy. Especially because I got to eat 2 salads

My day yesterday: (for those that are interested)

B: Coffee with CO & dash unsweetened almond milk (ran out of HWC ), homemade pork and sage breakfast meatballs.
S: Coffee & dash unsweetened almond milk
L: 1 boiled egg and ham cut up in a salad (one cup of cos lettuce and small amount of cucumber with mayo, olive oil, vinegar, stevia & mustard vinaigrette.)
D: Roasted turkey breast with salad as above
Lots of water
25 mins cardio on elliptical trainer, 15 mins of HIIT (high impact interval training)

I didn't feel any cravings at all and wasn't looking to snack - which is great because I normally struggle a bit on my first day. It's probably all psychological but I really think the inclusion of the salad greens helped me. I'm going to repeat again today and see if I get the same results (or at least a loss).

Today's plan:
B: Coffee with CO & HWC, homemade pork and sage breakfast meatballs.
S: Coffee & HWC
L: 1 boiled egg and ham cut up in a salad
D: Thai noodles (modified for M&E) - chicken stock, coriander, fresh chilli, garlic oil, vinegar with chicken thigh fillets and bok choy (bit naughty but in place of salad greens) - might add in some 0 cal/carb shiritaki noodles if needed.
Lots of water
25 mins cardio on elliptical trainer, 15 mins of HIIT (high impact interval training)

Sorry for the War & Peace Have a great day all...can't wait to hear how you are all faring. Happy losing

Last edited by tashydoll; 01-15-2014 at 01:41 PM..
Old 01-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Thanks Tash!

Copied and in the ready! One thing I saw mentioned several times is most people confuse this section to be part of week one induction when it is for after induction which of course is what New Diet Revolution starts with:

"The Diet Revolution Vegetables: Asparagus, avocado, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, chard, Chinese cabbage, eggplant, kale, kohlrabi, mushrooms, okra, onions, peppers, pumpkin, rhubarb, sauerkraut, snow pea pods, spinach, string beans, summer squash, tomatoes, turnips, water chestnuts, wax beans, zucchini squash.

The Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, chicory, Chinese cabbage, chives, cucumber, endive, escarole, fennel, lettuce, olives (green or black), onions, pickles (sour or dill), parsley, peppers, radishes, scallions, watercress."

I'm feeling better today, still taking medication, so I'll wait a couple days to get started. Can't wait to hear how your scale treats you today.
No worries. Yes I think you are right Terri, I get the impression that there is confusion in that area as well.

Once I'm done with my M&E I think I might just do a week of normal Atkins '72 before I start adding stuff back in to my Primal WOE. I have been a litle bit naughty with too many Primal treats over the holidays and it really has triggered my hunger levels. I don't have any problems with it normally when I don't eat the things I've baked (yes I'm talking to you delicious Paleo Banana Cake! ) So I think I just need to "calm my farm" a little bit until my husband pings back off to work and my daughter starts school - then I won't be tempted to do so much darn baking through the day!

Glad you are feeling on the mend...do you have the flu??
Old 01-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I never have cravings, except when pregnant. During my pregnancy, the cravings were out of control. So, I do understand what you guys are going through.
I tried sugar free jello and other zc or low cab foods and it was a complete disaster. It made my cravings so much worse.
I could do vegetables though, that seemed to help.
Vegetables seem to not trigger. While dairy, nuts, and sweet tasting things seem trickier.
I agree suzanneyea, if I eat too much sweetened stuff it usually triggers the cravings even more but when I first started doing M&E it was more mind over matter for me and just the small inclusion of HWC/cream cheese sweetened with stevia stopped me from throwing in the towel. I have found my balance nowadays since doing Primal and if I don't eat too many of the Primal baking treats (which I have been doing lately I might add!) then I have a pretty happy relationship with stuff that used to trigger my hunger (fruit and nuts particularly). Also, if I have enough protein and vegetables in my diet it offsets the effects really well.

I found zc for me stops my progress if I do it long term and had to slowly add carbs back in to find my balance, which is between 40-60 grams nowadays, to help me lose weight again and have more energy. Hence now eating Primal rather than Atkins (that I did for many years).
Old 01-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post

Hi Mimosa23, welcome! Thanks for coming and sharing some info about yourself...nice to have you here. Feel free to drop by to say hi if you feel like chatting rather than lurking
Old 01-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Busy day yesterday so only had lunch (bacon and eggs) and dinner (1 lamb chop, 1 chicken drumstick and 2 eggs - hubby cooked). i did get my cup of salad = lettuce avocado and tomato with olive oil and white balsamic vingar. no change on scale.

I found the page I read, some of it coveres whats already been mentioned here. I wont link the page because I suspect it wouldnt be allowed, but if anyone really wants to know, PM me. She goes into allergies quite a bit. I noted she says 'some olives' so I guess find out what was considered a portion size back then and go with that.

Quote:
Originally, Dr. Atkins’ low carb diet was an elimination diet. He took almost everything away from you, except for what you body needed to survive. He did that because many of his patients had gastrointestinal problems. He didn’t want them eating fiber. That’s why his diet was so strict back then. He had many patients who were allergic to wheat. He had many patients who had blood glucose problems. Back then, he talked mostly about hypoglycemia, which is a sign of exhausted adrenals from food sensitivities and intolerances or autoimmune problems such as celiac disease or gluten intolerance.

So if he took almost everything away for that first week, what did he allow?

Meat, including bacon (but NO sausage, hot dogs, store-bought meatballs or lunch meat)
Poultry
Fish (but no oysters, mussels, scallops or pickled fish)
Eggs without limit
Cheese, hard and aged, 4 ounces daily (but NO cream cheese or cheese spreads)
Heavy cream, 4 teaspoons per day
Butter, margarine, oils, shortening, lard, mayonnaise
Lemon or lime juice, one fresh squeezed per day
Salad, 2 small per day, each less than one loosely packed cup: leafy greens and celery or cucumbers and radishes.
Salad Dressings: oil and vinegar only, but you could use herbs and spices, some of your grated cheese allowance, crumbled bacon, or chopped eggs.
If you grew tired of salad, you could have one sour pickle instead. Plus, a few green olives.
Condiments: salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, extracts, spices that contained no sugar, and artificial sweetener (which at that time was Sweet n Low)
Dessert: sugar-free gelatin, which you could top with some of your heavy cream allowance if you didn’t put it in your coffee
Drinks: water, mineral water, club soda, beef or chicken broth/bouillon, diet soda, coffee, tea

*His restriction on caffeine at that time was 6 cups per day due to its tendency to contribute to hypoglycemia. If you knew you had hypoglycemia issues, then the limit was 3.

Now, that’s what you got for the first week. It is a completely different diet than what low carbers call Induction today. It works extremely well to clean out all allergens except for cow’s dairy and corn derivatives if you don’t know where to find them. It’s designed to clean out wheat and other grains because those are the problems that most of his patients had. Back then, corn would not have been found in oils, meat processing techniques, and dairy products,
Quote:
While Atkins was preaching a luxurious, “don’t be afraid of fat” diet in 1972, he wasn’t doing that two decades later. In 1992 and 1999, Atkins was cautioning people to be realistic with their dieting attempts, similar to how Dr. Eades has been trying to tell folks for several years now that calories do matter. You can’t eat sticsk of butter or a can of nuts every day and expect to reach goal weight. For most folks, that isn’t going to happen. The first idea that struck home with me was that if you are not losing weight, then either your carbohydrate intake, your dietary fat intake, or your overall calories are too high.
Quote:
In our super-sized society, most of us have lost sight of what a two-thirds cup of vegetables even is. That is what was considered an Atkins’ vegetable serving in 1992. In 1972, it was only one-half of a cup, and the type of vegetables allowed was extremely limited. In 2002, that serving increased to one cup and the list of vegetables had grown quite lengthy, but I’d be willing to bet that no one was actually measuring out their loosely packed single cup of salad, let alone their other veggies at each meal.

By default, the earlier Atkins’ diets were lower in fat and calories than an average Atkins Diet is today because there wasn’t enough vegetable matter allowed to hold all of those extra goodies. If you get two loosely packed cups of salad per day and one-half to two-thirds cup of vegetables, measured out accurately, what are you going to put your sour cream and butter on? A serving of pork rinds was a single ounce, heavy cream was limited to 4 teaspoons per day, and fats and oils were permitted in “moderate” portions only.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Busy day yesterday so only had lunch (bacon and eggs) and dinner (1 lamb chop, 1 chicken drumstick and 2 eggs - hubby cooked). i did get my cup of salad = lettuce avocado and tomato with olive oil and white balsamic vingar. no change on scale.

I found the page I read, some of it coveres whats already been mentioned here. I wont link the page because I suspect it wouldnt be allowed, but if anyone really wants to know, PM me. She goes into allergies quite a bit. I noted she says 'some olives' so I guess find out what was considered a portion size back then and go with that.
Interesting read Lil. It's amazing to me how much the original diet has been tweaked and modified to potentially suit today's market and how much people have misinterpreted it! Looking at what is written here I must say that I have been guilty of not measuring things such as my veggies (when I was doing Atkins). It's probably the reason it stopped working for me
Old 01-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
I absolutely know I can over do it on vegetables, which is daft because I am a farmer. I KNOW we feed lots of grass to cows and sheep to fatten them. We feed grains to our pigs to fatten them. I know too high fat in the diet can given pregnant cows ketoacidosis. It just drives me nuts that I hold a degree in this stuff, and never ever correlated it with human health. Which is equally daft since I hold certificates in health sciences. *roll eyes*

I'm not going to get hung up on proportions of fats/protein/fat like I think this lady does, but I am noting that if I am not losing, theres only 3 options open to me. if your not losing, you are maintaining. Thats good if you are in maintanance, not so good if you;re looking at shifting a few

Anyhoo, I'll stick to my half a cup of lettuce with half a cup of something else and call that good. Shoot, its almost eating normally for me
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Morning M&E family

Ok, are you ready? Drum roll please.....the scale says......-1.1lb!!!! Now I know that's not a lot of weight but I'm only trying to lose 2.5lbs that I keep gaining and losing over the holiday break so I'm pretty happy. Especially because I got to eat 2 salads
Are you kidding me 1.1# in one day is great even if you had 20 to lose! I'm very impressed and can't wait to give it a try. I sometimes do FF, which is a lot more work, just because I can have some salad.

I don't have the flu at this point, just a bad chest cold, but already feeling much better. The hot poker has been removed from my chest. The worst part is DH is in charge of dinner and I have no will power, so he's off to pick up a skinny pizza

Quote:

Thanks for looking that up for us Lil. Having to wait to start is going to mean I'll know more about this WOE to start with then anyone thought possible. I mean really, it doesn't get much easier than this.
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Hey y'all!

I'm on day two-- and here's what's happening: I think my body is (to put it delicately) clearing itself out. I felt like a lot of bloat just went the way of the Dodo-- and still a little lightheaded, easily fatigued, getting cold more easily. And this is how I know I'm doing it right.

I'm treating myself with a reprise of last night's meal: egg salad, pork steak with 1 tablespoon Mayo, Earl Grey Tea with 1 scant teaspoon of cream and stevia extract.

For a snack I had chicken meatballs (fried in the drippings of the steak, made with 1 cup crushed pork rinds to 3 pounds ground chicken for several hearty servings)

I usually don't eat breakfast or lunch, I have two small coffee/cream/stevias in the morning and leave it at that. I may have to start bringing munchies.

Considering making fish "meatballs", by cooking whitefish or rockfish, breaking it up, adding crushed pork rinds, and frying in a very small amount of lard.

Tashy, thanks for the hint with the broth-- I'll be picking some up tomorrow-- and enjoying egg drop soup and "Asian" meatballs, with no soy "soy sauce.

Catch you all later-- everybody sounds like they're in it to win it!

Re-starting Meat and Egg Fast :1/13/14

Size:18/20* 14/16* 10/ 11/12 * 9/10 * 8/9* 7/8
I have no idea what I weigh.

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try."
Alexander the Great
Old 01-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Morning M&E family

My day yesterday: (for those that are interested)

B: Coffee with CO & dash unsweetened almond milk (ran out of HWC ), homemade pork and sage breakfast meatballs.
S: Coffee & dash unsweetened almond milk
L: 1 boiled egg and ham cut up in a salad (one cup of cos lettuce and small amount of cucumber with mayo, olive oil, vinegar, stevia & mustard vinaigrette.)
D: Roasted turkey breast with salad as above
Lots of water

I didn't feel any cravings at all and wasn't looking to snack - which is great because I normally struggle a bit on my first day. It's probably all psychological but I really think the inclusion of the salad greens helped me. I'm going to repeat again today and see if I get the same results (or at least a loss).

Today's plan:
B: Coffee with CO & HWC, homemade pork and sage breakfast meatballs.
S: Coffee & HWC
L: 1 boiled egg and ham cut up in a salad
D: Thai noodles (modified for M&E) - chicken stock, coriander, fresh chilli, garlic oil, vinegar with chicken thigh fillets and bok choy (bit naughty but in place of salad greens) - might add in some 0 cal/carb shiritaki noodles if needed.
Lots of water

Sorry for the War & Peace Have a great day all...can't wait to hear how you are all faring. Happy losing
Hey, are you using Shiritaki noodles? Or something else?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey, are you using Shiritaki noodles? Or something else?
We have different ones in Australia but I believe they are similar to Shiritaki noodles - which is why I used that name because most people know what I'm talking about then. They are based on the same premise and have no carbs and about 5 cals for the whole pack....they are awesome and I tend to use them quite often when doing M&E as I have no adverse affect from them.

Your menu sounds fab BTW. No breakfast or lunch??!! No wonder you are feeling lightheaded...I would die doing M&E without those 2 meals !!! You are one tough cookie Make sure you're getting enough cals into your day... you wouldn't want to get unwell

Yeah, chicken broth can be a lifesaver on this WOE. When it's winter time here (currently mid-summer and stinking hot) and I do M&E I make chinese chicken soup which I love
Old 01-16-2014, 04:57 AM   #147
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Sounds good! I think having a few vegetables is a good idea. Even healthier than zc. I know that is ironic since I am so strict to zc. But, I just have no interest in vegetables. If I did I would eat them!
We should think of it as vlc, not meat and eggs. Two servings of vegetables keeps you well under ten carbs a day. And if you have a few days of zc, so be it.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Jan 14 - 180.8
Jan 15 - 177.4
Jan 16 - 176.6

Working great so far! Three days on meat and egg. Very little cheese, some mayo, heavy cream and sour cream at times.
YAY!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
We have different ones in Australia but I believe they are similar to Shiritaki noodles - which is why I used that name because most people know what I'm talking about then. They are based on the same premise and have no carbs and about 5 cals for the whole pack....they are awesome and I tend to use them quite often when doing M&E as I have no adverse affect from them.

Your menu sounds fab BTW. No breakfast or lunch??!! No wonder you are feeling lightheaded...I would die doing M&E without those 2 meals !!! You are one tough cookie Make sure you're getting enough cals into your day... you wouldn't want to get unwell

Yeah, chicken broth can be a lifesaver on this WOE. When it's winter time here (currently mid-summer and stinking hot) and I do M&E I make chinese chicken soup which I love

I'm planning on making some scotch eggs with homemade pork sausage to I can have breakfasts and lunches! I'm also making crab cakes tonight, just egg, crab and crushed pork rinds.

I think I'll wait on noodles until I feel that I've lost a good chunk of weight-- so far, progress is actually measurable-- I feel less bloated, a little thinner. I can see it around my face and middle.

I'll check in later--

Ciao!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Quote:
I'm definitely not opposed to that sour pickle per day mentioned in that thread...
Okay, so I decided to be the guinea pig with is Atkins '72/Meat&Egg + pickle thing.

During the past 48 hours I have lost 2.7lbs.

For the past 2 days all I have eaten is:
-hamburgers (2 per meal) and dip them in mustard, honey mustard, or mayo
-Lime sugar free jello (my go to snack treat)
-plain water or arizona lemon iced tea stix water
-no more than 2 dill kosher pickles a day

I have done no cardio at all this week aside from the everyday walking at my job and around the house.

I'm debating on having a cup of coffee+HWC+Truvia.... I don't want it to add the slightest .1 of weight on me... so close to an all time lowest weight on this WOE (hope to be there by Sunday). Should I enjoy 1 cup or shouldn't I?
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote