Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
TerriMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The burbs of California
Posts: 4,710
Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/139.3/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
Hi, everyone:
Can I join?
I was doing really well and had lost 25 lbs but last weekend I HAD to eat carbs & gluten while stuck in the airport and it triggered a total loss of control. I've been eating junk all week. And I now know I cannot be without LC and GF snacks on me at all times!
My plan is to fast tomorrow and hop in with M&E for a while. I'm afraid to weigh myself on Monday but I guess I need to know the damage I've done :-/
How long is the challenge supposed to run?
I'm thinking I might need to do like 30 days of it to get myself back in check.
Same thing happened to me at Christmas. You think one little detour won't hurt and then all of a sudden you’ve lost the trail. One quote I always loved from Dr. Atkins (I'll probably mess it up) "Being back on low carb is as close as your next meal". I keep that in my back pocket when I feel like I'm so off course I'll never make it back. You'll get there! And you are absolutely welcome here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalaw View Post
lilbeetle...Have to ask...What are radish fries and how do you make them? Keep up the good work and I'll check in later.
I was thinking the same thing Lil. How about it
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member
 
tashydoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 389
Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
Greetings all.

Like most of you I am just now getting back into the groove of things now that the holidays are over. I'm happy to say that during my last round (6 days) of Meat and Eggs, January 3-10th: I lost 4.0lbs.

Hopefully, by next Friday, I will be down to an all-time new lowest weight for me!


Cheers!

NAF
NAF, welcome back! AMAZING WORK... You must feel great

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Well not good I've gained about 20 lb.not got back on track yet..im going to start the 19 again.meat and eggs.I check back in a few days.
Hi Becky! Welcome back again Don't worry about the weight gain, you are a pro at M&E and you know how well it works and you'll get back to where you need to be in no time. We are here for support when you need it! Get in there girl and nail it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
Hi, everyone:
Can I join?
I was doing really well and had lost 25 lbs but last weekend I HAD to eat carbs & gluten while stuck in the airport and it triggered a total loss of control. I've been eating junk all week. And I now know I cannot be without LC and GF snacks on me at all times!
My plan is to fast tomorrow and hop in with M&E for a while. I'm afraid to weigh myself on Monday but I guess I need to know the damage I've done :-/
How long is the challenge supposed to run?
I'm thinking I might need to do like 30 days of it to get myself back in check.
Of course you can join, welcome We have just been restarting a thread at the beginning of every season but there is no fixed challenge as such, we just come and go as we please, check in when we feel like it, whinge when we need it, and support and encourage each other as much as we can. If you need any help make sure you ask and we will do our best to help out... as Lil pointed out below here are a couple of things to help you along your way...good luck.

p.s. don't beat yourself up about falling off the wagon, we all do it from time to time, the important thing is that you are looking to find a way to fix it. You are in the right place
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
The closest thing we have to a M&E Manifesto is:



Thanx to Tashy for putting this together
No worries Lil, thanks for reposting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Same thing happened to me at Christmas. You think one little detour won't hurt and then all of a sudden you’ve lost the trail. One quote I always loved from Dr. Atkins (I'll probably mess it up) "Being back on low carb is as close as your next meal". I keep that in my back pocket when I feel like I'm so off course I'll never make it back. You'll get there! And you are absolutely welcome here!



I was thinking the same thing Lil. How about it
Hi to Terri, Lil, NAF, the new regulars, lurkers and newbies....Happy losing all!
__________________
Natasha
"To thine own self be true" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare.
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member
 
qurlybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 202
Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4
WOE: M&E + Wine!
Start Date: October 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
How did you have to eat carbs? I always travel with extra food or pick up burgers at a fast food place. I did survive a ten hour flight with no food. And we landed in the middle of the night, so nothing was open. I just lived with the hunger. Hunger won't kill you.
My flight was supposed to leave at 4:30 PM and didn't until 8:30 AM. There was no way I was going to survive that long without food, especially because I didn't eat at all before I went to the airport. And I was stuck in the gate without fast food. My only options were a deli, a pretzel stand, and a news stand.
I held out for as long as I could but I wasn't going to starve myself.
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member
 
tashydoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 389
Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
How did you have to eat carbs? I always travel with extra food or pick up burgers at a fast food place. I did survive a ten hour flight with no food. And we landed in the middle of the night, so nothing was open. I just lived with the hunger. Hunger won't kill you.
That's a fair point, but some people are not equipped with the same willpower as others. I am similar to you in that respect but I think we need to be mindful that everyone is different and some people don't cope with hunger the same way and can slip up more easily. It's not really fair for us to make judgements about other people's eating habits...please lets be careful to not attack others and let's keep it friendly

Last edited by tashydoll; 01-12-2014 at 01:28 PM..
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member
 
qurlybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 202
Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4
WOE: M&E + Wine!
Start Date: October 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Same thing happened to me at Christmas. You think one little detour won't hurt and then all of a sudden you’ve lost the trail. One quote I always loved from Dr. Atkins (I'll probably mess it up) "Being back on low carb is as close as your next meal". I keep that in my back pocket when I feel like I'm so off course I'll never make it back. You'll get there! And you are absolutely welcome here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post

Of course you can join, welcome We have just been restarting a thread at the beginning of every season but there is no fixed challenge as such, we just come and go as we please, check in when we feel like it, whinge when we need it, and support and encourage each other as much as we can. If you need any help make sure you ask and we will do our best to help out... as Lil pointed out below here are a couple of things to help you along your way...good luck.

p.s. don't beat yourself up about falling off the wagon, we all do it from time to time, the important thing is that you are looking to find a way to fix it. You are in the right place
Thanks so much for the warm welcome, @TerriMM and @tashydoll!
I did gain 4 lbs (I finally got on the scale today ), and I hope to lose about 17 lbs before I transition from M&E.
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member
 
qurlybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 202
Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4
WOE: M&E + Wine!
Start Date: October 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
That's a fair point, but some people are not equipped with the same willpower as others. I am similar to you in that respect but I think we need to be mindful that everyone is different and some people don't cope with hunger the same way and can slip up more easily. It's not really fair for us to make judgements about other people's eating habits...please lets be careful to not attack others and let's keep it friendly
Thanks.
I actually have pretty decent willpower if I say so myself, so the judginess seemed unnecessary. Especially without knowing the context.
I went well over 24 hours without food at all before I gave in to the carbs.
But w/e. It's in the past and I'm looking forward to making the future better
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member
 
tashydoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 389
Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
Thanks so much for the warm welcome, @TerriMM and @tashydoll!
I did gain 4 lbs (I finally got on the scale today ), and I hope to lose about 17 lbs before I transition from M&E.
Pffft, 4lbs! You'll knock that on the head in no time, don't be so hard on yourself! I gained 4lbs over the Christmas break just from eating a bit too much (not even off plan) and it's sorted itself out already. Don't worry we'll help you get there
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member
 
tashydoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 389
Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
Thanks.
I actually have pretty decent willpower if I say so myself, so the judginess seemed unnecessary. Especially without knowing the context.
I went well over 24 hours without food at all before I gave in to the carbs.
But w/e. It's in the past and I'm looking forward to making the future better
Yep, it's all about context...in 24 hours I would have definitely given in!
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member
 
qurlybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 202
Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4
WOE: M&E + Wine!
Start Date: October 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
Pffft, 4lbs! You'll knock that on the head in no time, don't be so hard on yourself! I gained 4lbs over the Christmas break just from eating a bit too much (not even off plan) and it's sorted itself out already. Don't worry we'll help you get there
That's definitely encouraging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
Yep, it's all about context...in 24 hours I would have definitely given in!
And thanks for this, too.

I'm trying to put together tomorrow's menu and I was thinking the following:

B: 2 large eggs cooked in butter with a little parmesan, 2 slices of bacon
L: Tuna salad
D: 1 or 2 bacon cheeseburger patt(ies)

I want to keep cheese in, since it helps provide me with some fat.
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!
 
Erica L. Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,775
Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Howdy! You got room for another Meat & Egger? I the did this back in 2009, and lost a good chunk of weight. Sadly, I've gained it all back, playing fast and loose with the Atkins protocol.

So, I'm starting again on Monday, and would love some folks to commune with. I'm planning on making crockpot roast or ribs, making some egg salad, or deviled eggs, and making little chicken meatballs or a bunch of drumsticks to see me through the week. I'm dropping splenda, in favor of stevia-- and giving up coffee in favor of tea. I use far less sweetener and cream in tea than I do in coffee, and I may end up doing most of my tea straight with just a drop or two of stevia, no cream. Lots of water, no diet pop.

I'm also dropping cheese, but not really limiting butter or mayo.

Beverages will be water and tea, only.

Is this a good strategy?
__________________
http://ravenslowcarbnest.blogspot.com/

Re-starting Meat and Egg Fast :1/13/14

Size:18/20* 14/16* 10/ 11/12 * 9/10 * 8/9* 7/8
I have no idea what I weigh.

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try."
Alexander the Great
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member
 
tashydoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 389
Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
That's definitely encouraging!



And thanks for this, too.

I'm trying to put together tomorrow's menu and I was thinking the following:

B: 2 large eggs cooked in butter with a little parmesan, 2 slices of bacon
L: Tuna salad
D: 1 or 2 bacon cheeseburger patt(ies)

I want to keep cheese in, since it helps provide me with some fat.
That menu is perfect. No worries about keeping in the cheese but I suggest maybe weighing it and keeping it to a minimum until you work out whether it stalls you or if it's ok. Just a suggestion as I know from personal experience that my results are much better without cheese, yet others have no problems with it. Make sure you drink plenty of water...I would say a minimum of 3 litres. Supplements help out for energy levels too...multivitamins and magnesium are really good.

Also don't forget, if you're hungry, eat! Don't be afraid to add more in if you need it (especially in the first couple of days when your body is adjusting).

Best of luck
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member
 
tashydoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 389
Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Howdy! You got room for another Meat & Egger? I the did this back in 2009, and lost a good chunk of weight. Sadly, I've gained it all back, playing fast and loose with the Atkins protocol.

So, I'm starting again on Monday, and would love some folks to commune with. I'm planning on making crockpot roast or ribs, making some egg salad, or deviled eggs, and making little chicken meatballs or a bunch of drumsticks to see me through the week. I'm dropping splenda, in favor of stevia-- and giving up coffee in favor of tea. I use far less sweetener and cream in tea than I do in coffee, and I may end up doing most of my tea straight with just a drop or two of stevia, no cream. Lots of water, no diet pop.

I'm also dropping cheese, but not really limiting butter or mayo.

Beverages will be water and tea, only.

Is this a good strategy?
Hi Erica! Welcome We'd love to have you here.

Your strategy looks great. I personally don't worry about having the cream in my coffee when I'm on M&E, I find it helps me with my hunger levels and keeps me on track. I also add CO to my coffee when doing M&E. But it's all personal choice (that's the beauty of M&E). Stevia (IMO) is a much better choice than splenda aswell, so good idea.

Good idea about the cheese, and butter and mayo are good choices to keep. Make sure you drink heaps of water, too. Keep us updated
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member
 
qurlybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 202
Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4
WOE: M&E + Wine!
Start Date: October 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
That menu is perfect. No worries about keeping in the cheese but I suggest maybe weighing it and keeping it to a minimum until you work out whether it stalls you or if it's ok. Just a suggestion as I know from personal experience that my results are much better without cheese, yet others have no problems with it. Make sure you drink plenty of water...I would say a minimum of 3 litres. Supplements help out for energy levels too...multivitamins and magnesium are really good.

Also don't forget, if you're hungry, eat! Don't be afraid to add more in if you need it (especially in the first couple of days when your body is adjusting).

Best of luck
Thanks so much for the cheese suggestion!
I've been eating it since I started LC in October, but I didn't think that I could possibly lose more if it was gone. I will see what happens by the end of this week. Hopefully I lose at least 2 lbs. That'll make the cheese worth it! Lol.
Also, I drink around a gallon of water everyday since I don't really drink anything else much anymore. Do you think I should increase that?
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member
 
tashydoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 389
Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
Thanks so much for the cheese suggestion!
I've been eating it since I started LC in October, but I didn't think that I could possibly lose more if it was gone. I will see what happens by the end of this week. Hopefully I lose at least 2 lbs. That'll make the cheese worth it! Lol.
Also, I drink around a gallon of water everyday since I don't really drink anything else much anymore. Do you think I should increase that?
Sorry, just had to do a quick conversion as I have no idea what a gallon is compared to litres! As it turns out you are drinking more than my suggestion (just over 3.7 litres) so no, you definitely don't need to increase it unless you start feeling unwell. I find that if I don't drink enough fluid I feel nauseous until I drink some more water. Although feeling a bit sick in the stomach and headachey can happen when you initially start (regardless of your water intake), I find this is when I go into ketosis and have 'Atkins flu'...it passes though.

Yeah cheese is a weird thing when it comes to LC...on normal LC I'm fine with it but on M&E I find it really affects my results. I do so much better with clean M&E, basically just meat, eggs, butter, CO, some mayo, and small amount of cream in my coffee. And trust me I've tried all sorts of combinations but clean is always better for me personally. You might be one of the lucky ones though who can tolerate cheese...fingers crossed for you!!! Even though I love cheese I don't really worry about sacrificing it when doing M&E, it's a small price to pay to see the scales move downwards!
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!
 
Erica L. Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,775
Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
Hi Erica! Welcome We'd love to have you here.

Your strategy looks great. I personally don't worry about having the cream in my coffee when I'm on M&E, I find it helps me with my hunger levels and keeps me on track. I also add CO to my coffee when doing M&E. But it's all personal choice (that's the beauty of M&E). Stevia (IMO) is a much better choice than splenda aswell, so good idea.

Good idea about the cheese, and butter and mayo are good choices to keep. Make sure you drink heaps of water, too. Keep us updated
Hey there, Tashydoll; thanks for your reply-- nice to meet you! :-)

Cool about the cream; I hate to give it up, I feel like I'm giving up *everything*!

Picking up stevia today. Do I need to worry about calories? I remember the last time I did this, I totally pigged out the first two or three days, and then my appetite went away. (Which is the reason for snacks like deviled eggs or chicken drumsticks, or meatballs. )

I'm very anxious to get back to it; I was never healthier, had more energy, slept better, etc, .

I drink an unholy amount of water, but am increasing it a bit.

Is a little lemon juice okay in tea?
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member
 
qurlybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 202
Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4
WOE: M&E + Wine!
Start Date: October 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
Sorry, just had to do a quick conversion as I have no idea what a gallon is compared to litres! As it turns out you are drinking more than my suggestion (just over 3.7 litres) so no, you definitely don't need to increase it unless you start feeling unwell. I find that if I don't drink enough fluid I feel nauseous until I drink some more water. Although feeling a bit sick in the stomach and headachey can happen when you initially start (regardless of your water intake), I find this is when I go into ketosis and have 'Atkins flu'...it passes though.

Yeah cheese is a weird thing when it comes to LC...on normal LC I'm fine with it but on M&E I find it really affects my results. I do so much better with clean M&E, basically just meat, eggs, butter, CO, some mayo, and small amount of cream in my coffee. And trust me I've tried all sorts of combinations but clean is always better for me personally. You might be one of the lucky ones though who can tolerate cheese...fingers crossed for you!!! Even though I love cheese I don't really worry about sacrificing it when doing M&E, it's a small price to pay to see the scales move downwards!
Noted!
Thanks so much
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member
 
tashydoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 389
Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Hey there, Tashydoll; thanks for your reply-- nice to meet you! :-)

Cool about the cream; I hate to give it up, I feel like I'm giving up *everything*!

Picking up stevia today. Do I need to worry about calories? I remember the last time I did this, I totally pigged out the first two or three days, and then my appetite went away. (Which is the reason for snacks like deviled eggs or chicken drumsticks, or meatballs. )

I'm very anxious to get back to it; I was never healthier, had more energy, slept better, etc, .

I drink an unholy amount of water, but am increasing it a bit.

Is a little lemon juice okay in tea?
Nice to meet you, too

Most people don't worry about the calories, as you mentioned after the first few days your appetite almost vanishes....the only thing I'm conscious of myself it is eating out of habit or when I'm not really hungry (boredom really) I find this ends up stalling me. Rule of thumb, if you're actually hungry, eat and don't stress about the calories.

I don't think a bit of lemon juice in your tea will matter too much as it's a natural diuretic but again, go cautiously with anything 'off plan' initially to see how your body reacts. If you find you aren't losing weight, drop it for a few days to see if it makes a difference. It's all a bit of trial an error as everyone reacts differently to things.

Best of luck and feel free to ask all of the lovely people here anything you need...they're all a bunch of pros with heaps of experience!
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member
 
lilbeetle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 610
Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Whenever I know I have a plane journey coming up, I put a small bag of crackl8ngs and some nuts in my purse. 5hat way Im covered short term. When we went to Thailand, I made everyone carry cracklings, nuts, sugarfree chocolate, cheese sticks and 2 bananas. The airport security gave us some funny looks, but despite a couple of delays at stopovers and slow inflight meal se4vice, we didnt have to resort of vending machines or the cafe carb offerings.

Radish fries... turn radish on side and top and tail, discard. Cut radish into slices about half a centimeter thick. Melt tallow, lard or suet in pan and get hot. Cook radishes in small batches, single layer turning once, about 5 mins each side. Place cooked fries on paper towel to drain and keep warm in oven until all batches cooked. Salt to taste and serve with tomato sauce/ketchup or baconnaise. Or both, dont want to impose my tastes on ya
__________________
I have an allergy. Eating sugar and wheat products makes me swell up
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!
 
Erica L. Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,775
Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Oh! One last question; I noticed that cracklin's and pork rinds are okay? Do you need to watch sodium?
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member
 
qurlybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 202
Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4
WOE: M&E + Wine!
Start Date: October 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Whenever I know I have a plane journey coming up, I put a small bag of crackl8ngs and some nuts in my purse. 5hat way Im covered short term. When we went to Thailand, I made everyone carry cracklings, nuts, sugarfree chocolate, cheese sticks and 2 bananas. The airport security gave us some funny looks, but despite a couple of delays at stopovers and slow inflight meal se4vice, we didnt have to resort of vending machines or the cafe carb offerings.
I definitely will follow this advice from now on! I make sure I have snacks in my purse every single day now.
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member
 
tashydoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 389
Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Oh! One last question; I noticed that cracklin's and pork rinds are okay? Do you need to watch sodium?
I personally watch it as it causes me water retention but some have no problems. Just like anything, all things in moderation should be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
I definitely will follow this advice from now on! I make sure I have snacks in my purse every single day now.
I do the same...I ALWAYS have snack stuff in my handbag (nuts, dried fruit etc) in case of emergencies, plus I have a 4 year old who is an eating machine so it takes some of the stress out of the day
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
TerriMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The burbs of California
Posts: 4,710
Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/139.3/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Radish fries... turn radish on side and top and tail, discard. Cut radish into slices about half a centimeter thick. Melt tallow, lard or suet in pan and get hot. Cook radishes in small batches, single layer turning once, about 5 mins each side. Place cooked fries on paper towel to drain and keep warm in oven until all batches cooked. Salt to taste and serve with tomato sauce/ketchup or baconnaise. Or both, dont want to impose my tastes on ya
Going to try that for sure! Thanks Lil!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
That's a fair point, but some people are not equipped with the same willpower as others. I am similar to you in that respect but I think we need to be mindful that everyone is different and some people don't cope with hunger the same way and can slip up more easily. It's not really fair for us to make judgements about other people's eating habits...please lets be careful to not attack others and let's keep it friendly


Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Howdy! You got room for another Meat & Egger? I the did this back in 2009, and lost a good chunk of weight. Sadly, I've gained it all back, playing fast and loose with the Atkins protocol.

So, I'm starting again on Monday, and would love some folks to commune with. I'm planning on making crockpot roast or ribs, making some egg salad, or deviled eggs, and making little chicken meatballs or a bunch of drumsticks to see me through the week. I'm dropping splenda, in favor of stevia-- and giving up coffee in favor of tea. I use far less sweetener and cream in tea than I do in coffee, and I may end up doing most of my tea straight with just a drop or two of stevia, no cream. Lots of water, no diet pop.

I'm also dropping cheese, but not really limiting butter or mayo.

Beverages will be water and tea, only.

Is this a good strategy?
Welcome Erica. I do okay with the cream in my coffee too.
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!
 
Erica L. Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,775
Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post

Welcome Erica. I do okay with the cream in my coffee too.

Thank you for the welcome, TerriMM!


Okay, last question-- (hopefully) Which of these are okay? Stevia (obviously) but what about Truvia, and also EZ-Sweetz (liquid spenda-sucralose)? Which is least likely to cause a stall?
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member
 
tashydoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 389
Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Thank you for the welcome, TerriMM!


Okay, last question-- (hopefully) Which of these are okay? Stevia (obviously) but what about Truvia, and also EZ-Sweetz (liquid spenda-sucralose)? Which is least likely to cause a stall?
I'm not in the US so we have different products here but I use one called Natvia and that is a blend of stevia and erythitrol and I have no problems with it. I recall somewhere that maybe Truvia is the same (Terri was this you that mentioned it in our Primal thread??) I'm not good on splenda personally but you may need to try and see which works best for you.
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #85
Way too much time on my hands!
 
suzanneyea's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 10,941
Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
My flight was supposed to leave at 4:30 PM and didn't until 8:30 AM. There was no way I was going to survive that long without food, especially because I didn't eat at all before I went to the airport. And I was stuck in the gate without fast food. My only options were a deli, a pretzel stand, and a news stand.
I held out for as long as I could but I wasn't going to starve myself.
Always pack extra burgers in case of an emergency. I always bring more, just in case of delays.
I just read all of the replies. I was not meaning to be *****y, sorry if you took it that way. More giving ideas for your future travel, sorry.

Last edited by suzanneyea; 01-12-2014 at 06:53 PM..
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member
 
qurlybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 202
Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4
WOE: M&E + Wine!
Start Date: October 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
I do the same...I ALWAYS have snack stuff in my handbag (nuts, dried fruit etc) in case of emergencies, plus I have a 4 year old who is an eating machine so it takes some of the stress out of the day
Can you give me some more ideas? I've mostly fallen back on jerky and cheese. I don't eat fruit - especially not dried - because of the sugar, and I'm wondering what things can last in a purse that provide a good amount of protein and fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
Always pack extra burgers in case of an emergency. I always bring more, just in case of delays.
I just read all of the replies. I was not meaning to be *****y, sorry if you took it that way. More giving ideas for your future travel, sorry.
Most definitely. I am all for advice, especially since I'm new.
I just think the tone of your original message came off as condescending (ie. "hunger won't kill you"), and I think you made incorrect assumptions about my "willpower"/ability to last without food not having known the context of my situation. And clearly I wasn't the only one who picked up on the negativity of it. But I've been on all kinds of forums for a while, so I don't take those sorts of things personally. I kind of just speak my piece and move on.
I am honestly very happy to accept any advice from anyone who gives it. Let bygones be bygones.
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!
 
Erica L. Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,775
Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
On travel food-- I happen to be on a band, and we went on a US tour last March; I'll tell you that I basically LIVED on pork rinds, cracklin's, deli roast beef, the innards of hamburgers and sandwiches with bread removed, macadamia nuts, and lots of salads. We were on the road for three and a half weeks, and most of the venues we played had only chips and salsa in the green rooms. I was so happy to see a Hardees in Indiana, they actually had a burger wrapped in lettuce! I actually lost weight on the trip, but some of that you can chalk up to unending frenetic activity and long, long, long days and nights.

But I say, pork rinds saved my butt!
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member
 
qurlybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 202
Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4
WOE: M&E + Wine!
Start Date: October 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
On travel food-- I happen to be on a band, and we went on a US tour last March; I'll tell you that I basically LIVED on pork rinds, cracklin's, deli roast beef, the innards of hamburgers and sandwiches with bread removed, macadamia nuts, and lots of salads. We were on the road for three and a half weeks, and most of the venues we played had only chips and salsa in the green rooms. I was so happy to see a Hardees in Indiana, they actually had a burger wrapped in lettuce! I actually lost weight on the trip, but some of that you can chalk up to unending frenetic activity and long, long, long days and nights.

But I say, pork rinds saved my butt!
I've actually never eaten one.
When my dad opened the bag (it's his go-to road trip snack!), I wanted to puke lol.
Maybe I will give them a try one day. I know a lot of people here have mentioned eating them or using them in recipes.
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #89
Major LCF Poster!
 
Erica L. Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,775
Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
I've actually never eaten one.
When my dad opened the bag (it's his go-to road trip snack!), I wanted to puke lol.
Maybe I will give them a try one day. I know a lot of people here have mentioned eating them or using them in recipes.

I use them to make pizza crusts, sandwich bread, microwave muffins for egg mcmuffins, nachos, breading for oven fried chicken and catfish-- if you can get past aversions, they can make an awesome low carb superfood.
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
TerriMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The burbs of California
Posts: 4,710
Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/139.3/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
I'm not in the US so we have different products here but I use one called Natvia and that is a blend of stevia and erythitrol and I have no problems with it. I recall somewhere that maybe Truvia is the same (Terri was this you that mentioned it in our Primal thread??) I'm not good on splenda personally but you may need to try and see which works best for you.
Yep Tash, I use Truvia and also EZ Sweets. Someone mentioned less of an after taste if you layer (combine) instead of use just one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
On travel food-- I happen to be on a band, and we went on a US tour last March; I'll tell you that I basically LIVED on pork rinds, cracklin's, deli roast beef, the innards of hamburgers and sandwiches with bread removed, macadamia nuts, and lots of salads. We were on the road for three and a half weeks, and most of the venues we played had only chips and salsa in the green rooms. I was so happy to see a Hardees in Indiana, they actually had a burger wrapped in lettuce! I actually lost weight on the trip, but some of that you can chalk up to unending frenetic activity and long, long, long days and nights.

But I say, pork rinds saved my butt!
String cheese holds over well without being refridgerated
Tuna in the foil packages
Salami or Pepperoni Crisps (nuked in the microwave on paper towels until crisp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
I use them to make pizza crusts, sandwich bread, microwave muffins for egg mcmuffins, nachos, breading for oven fried chicken and catfish-- if you can get past aversions, they can make an awesome low carb superfood.
Bread? Muffins? Pizza Crust? Just by themselves or do you make them into something

Last edited by TerriMM; 01-12-2014 at 08:13 PM..
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.