Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smi1es
Stats: GW 145
WOE: A little of everything
Start Date: January 1st, 2014
It'stime, I am lurking here but logging in under the "Stillman's challenge" thread. I'm trying to do Stillmans but seem to sort of be doing M&E because it's not always lowfat.

Some of us are logging in weigh ins over there if you want to join!
Smi1es is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aruralgirl
Stats: 216/177/160 ht. 5'7
WOE: FF/M&E
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'stime View Post
Could someone fill me in about this thread. Is it mostly a jump in and out thread? Do you all have a weigh in day?
Hi It'stime and all of the newbies.

We're pretty informal here. No set weigh-ins, but we often share menus, stats, recipes, and tips.

to all of the regulars--Lil, Tashy, Terri, Naf, Mae, and the others lurking but not commenting lately.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

Amy
Aruralgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 143.7/138.7/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Hey Amy you drug me out of lurkdom

I did great though December just low carbing it. I could feel the weight starting to fade away; I was on my way to goal. Then Christmas hit and I’m not sure what happened. I didn’t really go overboard or binge, just a little of this and a little of that and the next thing you know I’m 7# above this time last year. DH is interested in Atkins; I don’t have any better ideas so I’m going along with M&E and FF in my back pocket.

How’d everyone else make it through the holidays?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:59 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamalaw
Stats: 291/260/140 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: May 1,2012
Hi All Been busy packing and haven't been on for a few days. Quick question before I start M&E... Can anyone give me an idea how well its worked for you? I know everyone is different... just looking for motivation not promises. Have lots more packing to do...move date got pushed back to the 11/12 due to snow here. Hoping to get some M&E prep work done like make some fat bombs, boil eggs that kind of thing. Thanks for support. Good luck to all and I'll check back later.
mamalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 AM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I have been zero carb for so long now, because it does work for me. But, most people do not enjoy it as a long term plan honestly.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
I suspect I will end up zc, but at the moment my family eats primal. I have a 17 year old daughter and 4 year old son and I am trying to model healthy eating for them. They have healthy metobolisms.

However I personally do at least 1 M&E each month for 3-5 days. I find its good to do just before or just after TOM for reducing water retention. I also do it if I go out and drink alcohol, again for water retention.

I dont bother so much with fat bombs now, I find just the basic menu satisfying, but I am the primary cook, so anything I can make without a whole lot of effort is going to make me happy Even the occasional batch of fat bombs is pared down to basics now. I said a few times Im lazy, and I wasnt kidding lol.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalaw View Post
Hi All Been busy packing and haven't been on for a few days. Quick question before I start M&E... Can anyone give me an idea how well its worked for you? I know everyone is different... just looking for motivation not promises. Have lots more packing to do...move date got pushed back to the 11/12 due to snow here. Hoping to get some M&E prep work done like make some fat bombs, boil eggs that kind of thing. Thanks for support. Good luck to all and I'll check back later.
I have found it an extremely effective correction tool like Lil mentions. A small correction for a day or a larger one for a few. It is also a great stall breaker for me. Personally I would find it hard for the long term, but that's just me. I will however continue to use it probably forever.
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: It'stime
Stats: 186/173/120
WOE: stillman weekdays/Atkins week-ends
Start Date: September 2nd 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smi1es View Post
It'stime, I am lurking here but logging in under the "Stillman's challenge" thread. I'm trying to do Stillmans but seem to sort of be doing M&E because it's not always lowfat.

Some of us are logging in weigh ins over there if you want to join!
Hi Smiles, good to see you around town. I do peek in at Stillmans too! Right now, DH is on vacation and to tell the truth that makes me on vacation too, so we are just trying not to eat to much of the wrong foods. I did ok today, but will get more serious about this when he goes back to work.
It'stime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:32 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IWasMadeThisWay
Stats: 203/165.6/130
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: September 19, 2014
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been posting, but I've been having the hardest time sticking to plan! I realize a few things, and even though I am mostly enduring carb cravings and trying to get on plan.. I need to stop tracking and watching calories with it, even weighing myself. So, I gave myself a challenge as part of this to not do any of that for two weeks. No weighing, just eating meat/eggs out the ying yang! I seem to get into the 170's and doubt myself for some reason. I did weigh myself today to see a starting point.

I will be eating cheese and cream, but limiting it to two servings a day because I do tend to go crazy in that area.

On another note, somehow I've sprained my foot?! My foot had been swollen for around two weeks, but no pain. I happened to notice the other day that the swelling was moving to my other toes, and my aunt thought it was sprained. Sure enough, it is! The ER nurse said that I could still work out on it, but I think I may restrict it to just cycling for now. I haven't stepped on anything, tripped, or done anything crazy. The nurse seemed to think I over did a work out, but honestly, all I've done is walk on a treadmill or go on an elliptical. Crazy right?!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

It'stime...I totally understand about the hubby vacation have the same thing here...he just went back.
IWasMadeThisWay...I like your 2 week challenge idea. I may try that too. Yeah I have to watch my cheese too. Sorry to hear about your foot. Take it easy. If it was me I'd say I did it on the elliptical...just can't get the hang of those things...lol
Lisa
Old 01-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Hi there mamalaw...As you mentioned everyone is different however I have noticed that most people have at least some success with M&E, whether it be long term or short term.

I personally use it as a 'reset' mechanism when I've been a bit overindulgent or find that I'm starting to get certain food cravings...within a day it knocks it right on the head. But most of all I find I just feel better with less bloating and without any hunger if I do M&E for a day or two. It's not a long term thing for me because I miss my veggies too much but a day or two here and there is a really great thing.

We have an old thread that you can look back on some other people's success stories if you think it might give you some motiviation... this is it here Meat and egg fast anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruralgirl View Post
to all of the regulars--Lil, Tashy, Terri, Naf, Mae, and the others lurking but not commenting lately.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

Amy
Hello lovely Happy New Year to you also!

I've been lurking around reading but will come back to do a day or two at the end of this week...will post my menus and pop back in for the usual pep-up that you guys tend to make me feel when I read your posts

Welcome to all the newbies and lurkers...for anyone who wants to know, this is a really casual, great group of people who can offer you plenty of information and support if you need it.

Happy losing all....
Old 01-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

tashydoll...Thanks for the link I'm going to check it out now. Happy New Year to you too.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It'stime...I totally understand about the hubby vacation have the same thing here...he just went back.
IWasMadeThisWay...I like your 2 week challenge idea. I may try that too. Yeah I have to watch my cheese too. Sorry to hear about your foot. Take it easy. If it was me I'd say I did it on the elliptical...just can't get the hang of those things...lol
Lisa
It's actually working out great! I just stick to zero carb foods, and eat when hungry, and drink tea sweetened with stevia. The only thing I measure is the cheese, hwc, and butter, but that's about it. I don't log my food online, or count carbs. Since I'm mostly eating zero carb foods, and 2 servings of cheese and HWC each, I have no need to count the carbs.
IWasMadeThisWay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Brandieelynne
Stats: 5'6", 155
WOE: Atkins
Would anyone be willing to share what you've eaten today? I'm new, first day! So far though I've just had coffee w/ HWC and ground beef. I'm going to have some eggs cooked in butter for dinner and maybe some tuna in mayo for a snack if i need it tonight at work.
Brandieelynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I had 6 slices of bacon for breakfast, 2 eggs mixed with mayo and mustard for lunch, and a ribeye steak for dinner. Love all the great food we get to eat!
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Skipped breakfast-intermittant fast. 2 burger patties for lunch. Ham steak and radish fries for dinner. 3x cups of tea with coconut cream. Water.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Still doing wonderful. Lots of eggs, butter, bacon, and some cheese and HWC. Right now I'm enjoying some tea with coconut oil. Yum!
IWasMadeThisWay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, Brandieelynne,

Food today for me:

Black tea w/ a dab of pastured half-'n'-half, lactose-free
1 T Cod liver oil
2 ounces sockeye salmon (with the bones) and 1 egg yolk, braised in water and 1 T. pastured, salted butter

2 T mascarpone cheese
1 HB egg

4 ounces beef gelatin w/ 1 T homemade yoghurt (made from pastured hh)
2 ounces chicken liver in 2 t butter, and 1-2 oz. marrow broth

1 HB egg and 1 yolk
1 T CLO
perhaps another round of 4 oz. beef gelatin (made with a few drops of oil of lemon) and 1 T. homemade yoghurt.

2 T hh in hot water

I'm being strict for a season. PRO grams ca. 55: FAT grams ca. 105-110, and CHO grams ca. 15. (I count 2 oz. liver at 5g CHO, and egg yolks at .5g, hh at 1.3g. Supplements probably total 3g CHO/d.)

----

Today's menu is fairly typical for me.

Sometimes I have:

- roast beef braised in marrow broth and pastured butter
- one egg and one yolk and a bit of water, as an omelette in unsalted, pastured butter
- veal brains in butter, or veal brains and yolks. (Usu. with chives or green onions for flavor.)
- mackerel, herring, or sardines and an hb egg with butter

Once in a while, I have decaf coffee w/ hh, or a couple of bites of unsweetened, baking chocolate. During strict seasons, those are splurges are rare.

Hope this is useful.

Best wishes for happy M/E days to all!

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-09-2014 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: clarification
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulchritudinous_j View Post
Hello, all! I'm going to do M&E for a few days to see how it works for me. For those of you that incorporate cheese in your plan, do you limit your consumption? Is it better to go without completely?

Yes, I have to limit my cheese intake, b/c for me it is a food that causes me to gain weight. :-( I try to save cheese for Saturday, my splurge/eat what I want day.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Greetings all.

Like most of you I am just now getting back into the groove of things now that the holidays are over. I'm happy to say that during my last round (6 days) of Meat and Eggs, January 3-10th: I lost 4.0lbs.

Hopefully, by next Friday, I will be down to an all-time new lowest weight for me!

Cheers!

NAF
Old 01-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Awesome Naf.

Well I have ended up doing a version of the whole 30 that looks a LOT like my m&e, just without dairy and a weekly glass of wine.

So not losing any real weight, but getting rid of some water retention.

Hope y'all going well
Old 01-11-2014, 03:54 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Hi all..
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:30 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Hi all..
Greetings Becky! How have you been? I hope 2014 is off to a great start for you.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:33 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Well not good I've gained about 20 lb.not got back on track yet..im going to start the 19 again.meat and eggs.I check back in a few days.
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:58 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Well not good I've gained about 20 lb.not got back on track yet..im going to start the 19 again.meat and eggs.I check back in a few days.
You can do it! Keep us posted!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Becky, good to see you! Take heart it happens to most of us from time to time. I did great all the way up to Christmas and then WHAMO. Just jump back on the wagon and you'll start heading the right direction in no time.
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10 | s8/10 | s4/6
WOE: Low Carb Vegan
Start Date: September 2014
Hi, everyone:
Can I join?
I was doing really well and had lost 25 lbs but last weekend I HAD to eat carbs & gluten while stuck in the airport and it triggered a total loss of control. I've been eating junk all week. And I now know I cannot be without LC and GF snacks on me at all times!
My plan is to fast tomorrow and hop in with M&E for a while. I'm afraid to weigh myself on Monday but I guess I need to know the damage I've done :-/
How long is the challenge supposed to run?
I'm thinking I might need to do like 30 days of it to get myself back in check.
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

The closest thing we have to a M&E Manifesto is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
The 'purer' you go the better your results, but most people add in small amounts of other things like dairy as part of M&E.

M&E isnt a set programme or system as such. Theres a few sort of 'rules' but really we all just tailor it to our own requirements. Adding food back in is usually up to the individual. Some people do M&E for weeks, some for a few days. These are some guidelines for M&E. Pick out what you think might work for you in particular, and dont get too hung up on the rest. Well, except the water thing. very important

* Any meat and eggs, as much as you want, whenever you want it

* You NEED fat. Don't avoid it or you will give yourself protein poisoning. Most of us use coconut oil (usually in BPC, cooking or "fat bombs") and HWC (may not good for you if you have issues with dairy but you could sub in the cashew/almond creme in your coffee) and/or butter, olive oil, lard, suet, tallow and avocado.

* Drink tonnes of water. If you think you've drunk enough, you probably haven't, drink some more!!

* Try to avoid too much salt (either in the meat or on top of your meal) as it can cause a bit of water retention and make you feel bloated with all of the water you are drinking.

* Keep it simple for the first few days and see how you go, then you can try to add in a few extra things like cheese or a few nuts if you'd like.

* You can stay on it from anywhere between a day and a few months if you feel like doing so. You can cycle a couple of days on and a couple of days off. It's very flexible and up to you.

* You might want to consider a couple of supplements ie. multivitamin, magnesium etc.

That's basically it. It is an incredible satisfying WOE and keeps you full for hours and you tend not to want to eat too much after a few days because it knocks your hunger for a six! Nausea can a common side effect of m&e. Generally there are no constipation issues on M&E - the fat works well as a softener and lubricant, and the very large amount of water prevents constipation as well. What I do notice is a reduction in volumme. I assume its because there just is less waste due to the nutrient density of the food supply.

As we are all individuals, YMMV with what works and what doesnt.

Some ideas for those starting out - RECIPES FOR EGG/PROTEIN FAST.....
Thanx to Tashy for putting this together
Old 01-11-2014, 11:04 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Hi All, Been MIA for a few days still moving my friend. Can't wait for Monday when I start M&E. Hope everyone is doing well.

lilbeetle...Have to ask...What are radish fries and how do you make them? Keep up the good work and I'll check in later.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #60
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
Hi, everyone:
Can I join?
I was doing really well and had lost 25 lbs but last weekend I HAD to eat carbs & gluten while stuck in the airport and it triggered a total loss of control. I've been eating junk all week. And I now know I cannot be without LC and GF snacks on me at all times!
My plan is to fast tomorrow and hop in with M&E for a while. I'm afraid to weigh myself on Monday but I guess I need to know the damage I've done :-/
How long is the challenge supposed to run?
I'm thinking I might need to do like 30 days of it to get myself back in check.
How did you have to eat carbs? I always travel with extra food or pick up burgers at a fast food place. I did survive a ten hour flight with no food. And we landed in the middle of the night, so nothing was open. I just lived with the hunger. Hunger won't kill you.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote